Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Altars: Questions and Answers

Miss_Liz

Re: Altars: Questions and Answers

Unread post by Miss_Liz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:59 pm

Here's my quick advice as someone who's been going from magical 101 book to 101 book for about 11 years (it really seems like that's all that's out there anymore for independent study). Every author/teacher/whomever has their one way of doing things and more often than not it dismisses the last one you read entirely. i'm not saying "who cares, do what you want to do and ignore everything entirely" but to take what you've learned and piece it together into something coherant that fits the way you work. Like it's been said several times, there is no wrong way and there is no right way.

katherine2

Unread post by katherine2 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Well....you know it's very hard to piece things together when you're first starting out and don't know anything, but trying to learn, and eveyone and anyone is telling you something different on just about any subject in Hoodoo....But I do appreciate your comment....

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:34 pm

I say try out each method, and see what works for you. I understand what you are talking about when you are first starting out. If you want you can take Cat's hoodoo correspondence course. That way everything is not overwhelming to you, and you will have a strong foundation for what hoodoo is, and various methods including setting up altars for different purposes.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

leoneses101

Unread post by leoneses101 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:58 am

Hi to all, I´ve decided to dispose of a religious statue. How would you go about it with out offending the spirit?

butchcomer
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by butchcomer » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:40 am

I wouldn't dispose of it. I would donate it or pass it along to somebody else.

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:46 am

butchcomer wrote:I wouldn't dispose of it. I would donate it or pass it along to somebody else.
Seconding this!
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

JCPA72

Unread post by JCPA72 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:38 pm

I am considering purchasing a larger statue of a Saint I work with regularly, and I thought what should I do with the one I have on my altar now.. then it came pretty easy to me, leave her in a church, I am sure someone in need of her would feel very blessed to have found her in church :)
My most gracious thanks to La Caridad Del Cobre, St. Martha, St. Michael, and La Virgen de La Regla

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:56 am

JCPA72 wrote:I am considering purchasing a larger statue of a Saint I work with regularly, and I thought what should I do with the one I have on my altar now.. then it came pretty easy to me, leave her in a church, I am sure someone in need of her would feel very blessed to have found her in church :)
I don't know if someone would take her from the Church, though. I know I certainly wouldn't pick something up and walk out of a Church! And I'm pagan! *lol* Perhaps a better plan would be to ask a member or the clergy of the church to find a new home for your older statue? Ask if they know of anyone who could use that particular Saint's guidance and help in their lives and ask them to gift the statue to that person?
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:11 am

Keep the statue (for now). In the future you may wish to give it to someone who may need it as much as you did OR you might want to carry it with you if it is that small. I (had) a beautiful six inch statue of St Jude I carried with me everywhere. My Mom needed St Jude, and even though I still did, I gave it to her.
I have not figured how to "pull the quotes"-- but I would NEVER take a statue from a Church-- even if your intentions are good to leave it for someone to find. I would like to believe that most people would "turn in to the lost and found". Statues and other similar items are very sentimental to most people. Just my 2 cents.
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!
HRCC Grad-Apprentice #1606

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:52 pm

It's pretty traditional within folk Catholicism to leave a statue such as this in an inconspicuous spot within a Catholic church. Some leave it under a pew, some tuck it away somewhere.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

katherine2

Unread post by katherine2 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:02 pm

Thank you starsinthesky for your message....Yes I have been thinking about taking the course...but I am not ready to sign up....Have some things to do first.....
I appreciate your time and your suggestions...
Hope you have a blessed night....

emmagal

Unread post by emmagal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:27 am

Hi,

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, I really couldn't locate anything that is related.
I am about to place an order today, and I opted for fixed vigil candles. I will order 4 of them in total, and all of them are for different purposes, even though some of them are related. For example, I will get a road opener, break-up, love related and business related. My question is can you set all of them at the same time on your altar, or do you have to light them and petition saints/spirits once you have finished with the first one and so on. And also, in which order would I do that?

Thank you and I apologize if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find it.

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:02 am

Yes, you can set them simultaneously; however, depending on what you are really trying to , Saturday would be the best day for break up work, and for "(limitations and obstacles)" while Sunday is an overall success day and wealth. Thursday is a good day for wealth and expansion (road opener) Friday is for love and money.
Many people work by days of the week, the time of the day (sunrise and sunset), the moon. Many of the posters that I respect have also written if you need to start immediately, do so. The weekday outline, moon phases, etc are guidelines, but if there is a necessity to begin then begin.
You would write your petition, set it under the dressed candles (I suggest you order some LM Oils) the light the candle and focus on petition. If your spell calls for lets say the 23rd Psalm or if you are ordering a Vigal Candle for a Saint, the prayer for that will be included in the order. Say the prayer (there is typically a place for a petition within a prayer)
Last, before you get started you might want to have a reading from a member of AIRR so that they can instruct you as to which candles to order, kits etc. Most will set lights, too--- to back up your work. This is a good idea. I have had the need for back up work and have found it to be most successful.

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 am

I wish I could get these links in... Stars and Mama Micki have something really good under "best days to work spells" enter that in the "search" section.
I would give you the direct link, but I am doing something wrong with the mouse and can't seem to copy paste it.

emmagal

Unread post by emmagal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:38 am

Thank you so much for you help Triplethreat.
This is my first order and I have already scheduled a reading. I will be ordering more products after the reading, I need something to get me going.
I am doing break up spell and love related spell, and have already started a vinegar jar. So in that sense, after the reading I will definitely be getting more products.
Thanks a lot.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:44 am

emmagal --

Your candles are: "road opener, break-up, love related and business related." Some would light them all at once on one altar. I would not. At Missionary Independent Spiritual Church, we have FOUR altars, and your selection happens to work out to one candle per altar. Our altars:

Blessing: positive changes, health, protection, court issues around innocence

Removal: hot-footing, revenge, cursing, dispersal, and damnation

Love: attraction, drawing, sustaining, marriage, return, reconcilliation

Money: attraction, drawing, business, jobs, career success, gambling luck

So i would light one candle on each altar, with the Road Opener coming first.

If you wish to work by the days of the week, which would mean that you light each candle on a different day, either at the same altar or on different altars, you do not need to have seven altars (one for each day of the week). You can have four altars, as we do at Missionary Independent, and as Deacon Millett does at Four Altars Gospel Sanctuary, or even just two altars -- one facing East for attraction, and one facing West for removal. If you can only put up one altar, due to space considerations, you can divide it into either two halves or four quadrants, as you wish.

Sunday: Sun: yellow, gold: health and healing, success, blessings, fame, wealth, men and boys

Monday: Moon: white, blue, silver: women and children, home, dreams, psychic visions, family

Tuesday: Mars: red: competition, war, courage, power, energy, risk-taking, open conflict, victory

Wednesday: Mercury: orange: communication, verbal skills, messages, trickery, gambling

Thursday: Jupiter: purple: patronage, money (Europe), power, wealth, expansion, royalty

Friday: Venus: green, pink: love, sexuality, artistry, seduction, aesthetics, plants, money (USA),

Saturday: Saturn: black: duties, limitations, enemies, controlling, obstacles, curses, death

Note that the traditional day for money is Thursday, the day of power and luxury, ruled by Jupiter, but in the USA, due to two unrelated factors -- the 5-day work-week that ends on Friday with a pay check, and the fact that all of our paper money is green (so called "greenback dollars") -- we have gradually transitioned our money work to Friday and are using green candles for money. In the older European system, green (Venus) and gold (Sun) are for a good agricultural harvest, but it is purple (Jupiter) and gold (Sun) that stand for money in the bank, and you will note that the money of other countries often is partially purple.

This altar, courtesy of Prof. C. D. Porterfield of The Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers (AIRR), is being worked for a Road Opener spell -- and note the use of the yellow "solar" helper light candle and the yellow Sun emblem, to shed solar bounty on the endeavor:

catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

emmagal

Unread post by emmagal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:51 am

Thank you thank you thank you, you are all awesome. I will take all that into the account, and I am so thankful for your detailed response.

Oni_2

Unread post by Oni_2 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Blessings......can a person light working candles like a job candle on an ancestral alter. My husband is being considered for a higher position in his Job. As a family this is the break that we have been praying for for a long time. I spend alot of time with my ancestors and so I was thinking of lighting a job candle, on my alter to invoke the help of our ancestors. Any suggestions.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes you can do that as you are asking for their help with your job work. Good luck, and hope you get the work you ask for.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:38 am

Florida water smells great. I use it to clean all of my spiritual supplies.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

lovingme1

Unread post by lovingme1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:22 pm

I set up my altar in the extra room we have closed off. (normally nobody goes in there) Well I had to leave the house while my candle burned, when I got back home my son told me that he seen my setup and it was neat?! I asked him did he touch anything he said he did not. The candle did burn all the way out. I need to know if someone sees your altar work in process will it ruin the spell?

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:28 pm

lovingme1,

Not at all!
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

corazon

Unread post by corazon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:28 pm

No it won't ruin the spell. But if I were you I would invest in a padlock for that door so your kids can't get in there, especially with an unattended candle! Thank God no one got hurt!

lovingme1

Unread post by lovingme1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:38 pm

thank you for your quick response, now my mind is at ease

Lady Muse
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lady Muse » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Thank you Cat. Very informative. Cant wait to take the class I know there is much more where that came from
Be blessed!
Lady Muse
House of Self Empowerment - AIRR and HP Member - Blue Flag Root Radio

Oni_2

Unread post by Oni_2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 am

Blessings,

Okay ......here goes,

I am currently living outside of the US waiting for my permanet residency. I have already received a letter approving the 1st half of my application but because I am a married daughter of a US citizen I have been told that it may take a couple more years to receive my permanent residence. Now, I am a woman of faith and miracles. I am trusting that things will work out sooner than everyone expenct. Is there a candle that I can keep alit in conjuction with my prayers to help with this situation. Thanks

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:39 am

I would work Court Case on that, and do some divination to see if St. Expedite would work for you to help move things along more quickly.

trish76

Unread post by trish76 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:26 pm

CallMeDrX wrote:I was taught if you have saints in your room and you plan to be naked, that you cover them up by throwing a sheet over them.
I always wondered about that. I have never been taught that specifically but I have always had a complex about a Jesus photofacing the bed lol. Generally I have two glass saint candles on my altar, a female and a male (a carryover habit from Wicca) depending upon my need at the time. Right now I have St. Jude and the Virgin Mary (well it says Virgin Guadelupe actually...same thing).
"Don't allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not". ~ Paulo Coelho ~ ♥

StarChild80

Unread post by StarChild80 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:20 am

Greetings Brother/Sisters , Could anyone provide me with proper steps for preparing my altar, so far i have added only candles a picture ,flowers ,water, and a little box that i use to place my request in, as a beginner could anyone offer me a more effective way to increase the work of my altar, so far i have seen the works manifest quickly with the help of ST. Anthony and St.Martha, (Thanks for the blessings).I'm very eager to learn here so any suggestions would be great/

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Read through this post StarChild80...there is a lot of discussion on Altar setup...

Seph

Unread post by Seph » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:10 am

I’ve outgrown my current altar/shrine space, and I have very limited space in my home. There is one place that may be perfect or it may be entirely imperfect.

I have a built in buffet that is the right size, shape, and location, however the back of it is a fixed mirror. My instinct tells me that because of this it would not be a good place to work.

Can anyone comment on this? Also, it may be possible for me to cover the mirror with fabric, although I’d rather not have to. Can anyone comment on this approach?

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:04 am

Nothing wrong with working with something with a mirror behind it. I for one use the top of an old dresser with a mirror attached.
HRCC Student #1559

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:41 am

I also have a mirror behind my altar.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Above one of my altar, hanging from the wall, is an old-fashioned wood-framed mirror that has been consecrated. As I do my work on this altar I'll look up into the mirror and use it to scry upon my targets to keep track of the spell's progress.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Catholic_conjure

Unread post by Catholic_conjure » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:36 pm

While I've read quite a bit about hoodoo practice, I'm really just now contemplating actually getting involved with hoodoo work.

My question is, how important is having an "altar" on which to work? I'm from the South and was raised around Baptists my whole life, both black and white and I can't imagine any of the black Baptists I've known would have even considered having a place they referred to as an "altar" or "spirit altar" seeing as how home altar spaces aren't really a part of evangelical Protestantism.

Is it satisfactory to simply have a place where you can set a light?

I'm just curious since I'm not sure how open I want or can be about working.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Welcome to the forum Ntillman. It is definitely your personal choice to have an altar for your work Ntillman. You can choose to have a place or space identified where you work your spells. Some practitioners maintain altars for visual appeal, ancestry worship, candle work, are to help them concentrate on their spellwork at hand. Again its a personal choice.

Your post has been added to a long discussion that covers pretty much all of your concerns and questions.

Good Luck in your findings, Ntillman.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Hello Ntillman, I think you may be a bit confused about what an altar is. An altar is merely a surface dedicated for spiritual matters. This does not mean that your altar needs to a table with arcane runes, weird symbols, and strange curios--it can be, but it can also be as simple as a table with a few candles on it and pictures of your ancestors.

Altars aren't just a "hoodoo thing," but have existed in the South for a long time. Christians in the South, Baptist or otherwise, use tables or the top of cabinets which they decorate with pictures, set up religious iconography, set a candle or two. I've seen these frequently even in the homes of non-practitioners. They may not consider it an altar, per se, but it certainly serves a similar function and these "sacred" areas are treated specially.

If you have the room you can set up a surface dedicated to your work, if not then you can create movable altars, or temporary ones. For example using the top of a counter then putting away your materials when not in use leaving the counter free.

Hope that helps.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Ntillman, as ConjureMan Ali says, the concept of an altar is not always called an altar. We use this word nowadays as a convenience, but i have seen these sacred spaces referred to by names like "my family memory place," "my old photos," or by the name of the type of furniture being employed as an altar surface: "the mantelpiece," "on top my nightstand," "the chifferobe," "my "vanity table," and so forth.

And for those unfamiliar with furniture, here is a picture of a chifferobe, which is a very convenient altar space indeed.

and this is a vanity table:

Now, to show you the traditional usage of a vanity table as an altar, here is a photograph taken by Gordon Parks for the FSA, in Washington DC in August 1942. At right is Ella Watson, and at left is her adopted daughter

On the vanity are statues, candles, lamps, a lucky trunk-up elephant, a crucifix, and small floral arrangements. The owner of this vanity was a member of a Spiritualist church.
catherine yronwode

Catholic_conjure

Unread post by Catholic_conjure » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for the response. I just felt I couldn't go all out with an altar space (though, being Catholic, it might be easier to conceal than I initially thought). I'm just sure that my new mother-in-law is already a little concerned by my interest in things like hoodoo. No reason to make waves if I didn't have to.

SilverRose
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by SilverRose » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:10 am

I know this is an old post but, is it alright to include pet pictures with the ancestry altar as well? My beloved feline (Ebony) passed away a few years back (she was 15 years at the time) and I have her picture & urn on a stand, as well as my mother's urn. Would it be appropriate to place the urns, as well as Ebony's picture, with the ancestor pictures, or should they be placed in a different area? I've often seen Ebony's spirt roaming around the house, my daughter and grandson have seen & heard her as well, especially when I needed an uplifting.

Thanks
Helen

Commander Snuggles

Unread post by Commander Snuggles » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Can these two candles be burned simultaneously? If I would like to break up a couple (obviously one that I'm not a part of) but also need money, can these two actions be performed at the same time?
Or, do I have to pick one and go with it? Obviously, I feel that spells work better if they're given one's full and complete attention, but sometimes life doesn't necessarily happen that way.
Any advice is most greatly appreciated.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:13 pm

SilverRose --

Provided the other spirits on your altar are ok with it, I don't see a problem with it.
HRCC Student #1559

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Redacepilot -- whoever told you that "you cannot put any other candle, like for money, near a reversible candle, because it will also reverse the work of anything like that" sure does not practice in the same hoodoo and conjure tradition that i do. All the fear-mongering just sounds stupid to me. Flat out, stupid.

If i want to make separate altars for separate forms of work, that's my privilege, and, like Bri said, i would try to make two altars -- or if i only had the one altar, i would divide the one altar into two parts, the east side for drawing and the west side for removal.

But if i am living in a small place with room for only one altar and my li'l ol' altar is too small to divide into two parts, and i need to burn ten candles for ten things on that one altar, i have been taught, and i know how to dress, prepare and pray over each candle for the results i desire and require.

And what about those prayer services, where everybody gets a candle and puts their own wish and prayer on it? All those candles go on ONE ALTAR! And they don't cancel each other out or mess each other up! Get real!

So whoever is teaching you that the a Reversing candle will somehow adversely affect another candle is clearly someone who was never poor or lived in a small home or attended a spiritual prayer service, and, frankly, you need a better and more adept teacher. No lie.

Here, courtesy of Prof. Porterfield of The Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers (AIRR), is a working candle altar on which at least a dozen different spells, from love and protection, to reversing and money-drawing, are in progress, all sharing space:

catherine yronwode

SilverRose
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by SilverRose » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Thank you, Turnsteel . I've had them together since I posted my question and it's working. I feel a peacefulness when I pass by it, or stop to chat with the spirits. All seem quite happy. I believe it helps that all loved cats and my Ebony was a very "social" furbaby.
HRCC Student #979 G

kymike78

Unread post by kymike78 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:12 am

I know mirrors are used in reversing spells (by setting the candle on top of it) to reflect the bad spell back on the person who cast it. Would using a mirror topped surface (like a flat mirror used to protect the top of the piece of furniture the candles are sitting on, or a mirror topped table) for just regular day to day work have any ill effect?

Priestess Divine
HRCC Student

Unread post by Priestess Divine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Hello All,

I had been keeping my money/success items split up. I don't know why but my light bulb came on. Some on my night stand beside my bed and some in my walk in closet. I had my Buddha, St Expedite Card, water and Loadstone on my night stand but any other candle items that I worked I kept in my closet. Well I decided to put everything on a shelf in my closet. I remember now...I hadn't before because once a shelf almost caught on fire due to the height of the shelf vs how close the flame was to the top of the shelf.

Well, I'd been burning two candles, one had been burning very very low and the other somewhat low. Well when I moved everything to the same area and added a few other money related items. I noticed that both flames started to burn better! They got bigger and danced and have been since then.

So I wanted to know if the improvement of my candle spell is due to the fact that all money related alter items are together? Does that make it more powerful since all the spirits/energies are working together? I guess alter setup is important.

I love the way everything looks together too! It makes me feel more empowered instead of having everything split up and scattered about. Definietly has a more profound visual affect.

Thanks
Crystal
Best of Life ~ Thank you Archangel Michael & my ancestors for your protection. Trinity of the 3.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:13 pm

If you feel that keeping them together is overall a more agreeable arrangement, then there is no reason not to keep that set up working for you. Do what works!

blackcateyes

Unread post by blackcateyes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 pm

I got that you are supposed to use Florida Water but how?

Do you wash down everything on the altar...or get a little spritz bottle and just spritz everything with it?

I read though all of the posts in the altar section and couldn't find anything that said exactly how to do it, just to do it...

I am a little thick in the head ...so be kind meaning ....I'm special..and slow ;) <JK> anyways...

Could I use holy water instead ?

Could I use Chinese Wash instead as well???

Cause I bought Chinese wash from here and have it in a spritzer bottle already with some ammonia all ready to cleanse!!! :)
Just a spoon full of honey makes the medicine go down....;)

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm

Blackcateyes --

You could use any of the substances that you named (Florida Water, holy Water, or Chinese Wash).

It's up to you whether you dampen a cloth and then wipe the surfaces down, or whether you spritz or otherwise asperge the area.

blackcateyes

Unread post by blackcateyes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Boy you are on a roll lady!!! Thanks you have been most helpful!!!A++++

corazon

Unread post by corazon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

I personally dampen a paper towel or cloth with Florida Water and wipe the surface and my altar items down when I put them up. I don't have an altar up all the time right now, but when I had one out all the time I would clean it that way once a month or so, but in between spritz a little of the Florida Water onto the altar before I'd start my work.

blackcateyes

Unread post by blackcateyes » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 am

I guess Florida Water is more multi-purpose than I thought it was..thanks for the reply! :D

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 pm

You can read more about florida water here: http://www.luckymojo.com/floridakanangawater.html

This particular product is extremely popular in Afro-Carribean magical practices and Latin American magical practices. It has been adopted into hoodoo via these traditions.

It is commonly used as an offering to the dead, a blessing cologne, to cleanse persons and objects, and as medium for psychic work.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:15 am

Blackcateyes, whoever told you that "you are supposed to use Florida Water" to clean an altar is dumb. Many surfaces are DAMAGED by alcohol, and that's what is in Florida Water.

Want to take the finish off your antique varnished table top? Florida Water will do it!! Florida Water is ALCOHOL and alcohol will remove 19th century varnishes. Alcohol will also take the paint right off this charming hand-painted Tibetan end-table:

If your altar is marble and you cleanse it with vinegar or lemon juice -- guess what? You DESTROY your marble altar top. This cute little Louis XV style marble-top nightstand would be RUINED if you attempted to clean it with vinegar:

If you have an altar cloth on your altar, how is Florida Water gonna help you? It won't! You will have to take the cloth off and launder it in soap and water. DUH! Wash this lovely antique embroidered runner cloth with pure soap and water only:

Unless someone knows what the surface of your altar is made out of, they have no right, rhyme, or reason to tell you what you are "supposed" to do. That idea is a JOKE.

Please, folks, use the good sense that God gave you and that your mother tried to teach you.

Don't let internet idiots lead you on a lock-step march to stupidity!

Chinese Wash diluted in water and prayed over has a long history of use as a spiritual cleaning product because it is mild and safe to use on most surfaced that can be wetted.

WAT-CHI-GL04
Chinese Wash, 4 oz.
$5.25

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

blackcateyes

Unread post by blackcateyes » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:12 am

catherineyronwode wrote:Please, folks, use the good sense that God gave you and that your mother tried to teach you.

Don't let internet idiots lead you on a lock-step march to stupidity!
hahahahahha Momma cat always knows best..anyways..I would guess then that simply a spritzer of holy water will do then as it is the least abrasive...luckily I'm seriously ghetto and my altar is ontop of an milk crate on the floor in the southern corner of the room...cause that's the only space for it....unfortunately not much room on the east and west side of it ...otherwise it'd be perfect...c'est la vi !

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:12 am

blackcateyes wrote: luckily I'm seriously ghetto and my altar is ontop of an milk crate on the floor in the southern corner of the room
BlackCatEyes: That doesn't sound "ghetto" to me. Not sure which "ghetto" you are referring to. The real concern is if you have results while using it!? If you do (have great results) than it is perfect and nothing else. If all you have is a milk crate on the floor for an altar, then work the HECK out of that milk crate on the floor! Know what I'm sayin'?

Good luck to you!

-Joseph M
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 pm

BlackCatEyes --

Hey, babe, we have one altar on top of an old table-model sewing machine, two others on coffee tables, one on top of a book case, and another on a pile of old speaker cabinets (those huge old wooden ones from the 1970s, turned on their sides) covered with gold lame cloth from Joanne's Fabrics, okay? :-)

plus

equals INSTANT ALTAR!
catherine yronwode

blackcateyes

Unread post by blackcateyes » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:44 am

Joseph Magnuson wrote: BlackCatEyes: That doesn't sound "ghetto" to me. Not sure which "ghetto" you are referring to. The real concern is if you have results while using it!? If you do (have great results) than it is perfect and nothing else. If all you have is a milk crate on the floor for an altar, then work the HECK out of that milk crate on the floor! Know what I'm sayin'?

Good luck to you!

-Joseph M
Thanks...I do work it and own it...you better work...work .it now..do your thing..with dat hoodoo..work...cover girl...;) love that song...just had to turn it around..seemed appropriate! :mrgreen:

BerthaB

Unread post by BerthaB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:16 pm

I have an Uncrossing jinx removing candle going on my headboard but I want to light a Come to Me candle. Is it o.k. to light the Come to Me candle on my headboard as well if I add distance between the tw0 -- or no? :?:
I love you Jesus!

Tristan

Unread post by Tristan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm

First, be sure that the candles are safe on your headboard. Make sure they have enough room and that they can't fall.

There's certainly no problem with having two candles burning for two separate intentions. Some people only have one altar to do their work on, it might be a formal altar table or it could be something simple like a dresser. As long as you've prepared and prayed over your work appropriately, you can have many different lights going. At the top of the MISC page, it shows their prosperity altar where they have different prosperity type candles burning for different petitions.

Miss cat describes a great way of working with just two altars here. As she explains, you can have one altar for increasing work and one for decreasing. Also notice how she recommends to cleanse between very different types of work. Don't leave your goofer dust where you're doing love work! Lol!

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”