Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Altars: Questions and Answers

Jaime Banks
HRCC Graduate
Re: Altars: Questions and Answers

Unread post by Jaime Banks » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Hello Everyone [Shout out to Ms. Cat for directing me to the right source]

I have an issue that needs to be clarified and tooken care of. I have a mother I live with for now, and unfortunately, she is a snoop. And we all know "Mother's know best; and a mother knows when something is up". Well being the fact that I live with her and I am constantly busy, she looks through my room, clean's it, open window blinds, and so forth, now I would like for her to be LESS suspicious of my work, because she saw my candles, my honey jar, and my dressing oils and powders [and thought the herbs we're drugs...dunno why] and I just would like to HIDE AWAY and PROTECT my work and my spiritual sanctuary away from her curious eyes and thoughts.....any takers? I "dislike" nosey people. I won't say hate. lol
Thank You SO Much St.Jude
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #2043G

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm

This conversation was discussed here in the forum several times. Some people have mobile altars, in other words they keep them in small boxes in a closet, drawer, under the bed, in the car etc etc.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

[Ophelia]

Unread post by [Ophelia] » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi there.
Thanks for reading. :-)
I bought this altar piece when I was just a kid and recently found it again but I am not sure as to its purpose. I will try to describe it :-S ...
Its a sort small plate that is pinky/beige in colour. There is a st. david's star (well a six-pointed star anyway) at the centre. around this there are the symbols of the the zodiac and around the edge of the (almost like a rim) is an encircling dragon. I remember that I used it to 'power' objects with it (by laying something at its centre for some time and perhaps reciting a spell of some sort) but I don't think that this was its purpose. Would love to hear other peoples views and suggestions on how to use this interesting piece.
Thanks again.
Thank you Isis for your constant guidance and sage advice. Thank you Nancy for being my guardian angel.

corazon

Unread post by corazon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I am temporarily at my mom's house too and hide my things in a big plastic box with a snapping lid. I also put stuff in shoe boxes in my closet.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:05 pm

This is a Lucky Mojo product forum and you cannot expect to come here for general anthropological and art-historical information, but ...

First, the six-pointed star is the Mogen David, which means Shield of David, and because of its shape it is also called Star of David. It is Jewish, not Catholic. That is, there is, no doubt, a Catholic St. David, but this symbol is used by Jews, not by Catholics; it is for protection, strength, and power.

The Zodiac is a well-known circular symbol used for occult reasons and for simple decoration. A Zodiac around a Mogen David sounds like a Jewish item, perhaps a trinket dish or pin dish from Israel.

The dragon around the outside seems odd -- more Asian than Jewish.

I have no idea what the item was intended for, but your use of it seems perfectly correct.

Since this is the Lucky Mojo Forum, allow me to use this opportunity to let you know that we carry a fine line of Zodiacal oils, incenses, bath crystals, sachet powders, and candles. You can read more about them here:

http://luckymojo.com/zodiacal.html

And here is a lovely vintage glazed clay trivet in an astrology pattern suitable for use on any altar; i have four of these myself, and recommend them highly:

Good luck!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

[Ophelia]

Unread post by [Ophelia] » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:01 am

Thank you so much cat - your advice is very much appreciated! :-D

I had thought myself that the dragon was a little strange - it seems out of place. I would love to know its true purpose - perhaps I will research its origins a little more. I will let you know if I find anything out.

I am glad that you think my use of it seems correct and I will carry on using it for the charging of items as you say.
Thank you for the link to the Zodiacal oils etc. On a side note: you mention that there are 4 alters in the chapel.

On a private alter, how would you suggest that I 'clear' the alter of the energies from the previous workings? Usually I don't tbh, though I occasionally 'sage' the area. I know that you suggest dividing the alter space but this is not something I can see myself doing as my alter has some permanent fixtures and are placed aesthetically (lol I know!)

However, if I was to divide it into say 4 quadrants by your recommendation , would the position of each be important - like love being top right/facing direction?

Many thanks and blessings for any advice you can offer. :-)
Thank you Isis for your constant guidance and sage advice. Thank you Nancy for being my guardian angel.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:09 am

Ophelia82 -- Your question about altar "quadrants" is actually part of the much larger topic of altar set-ups, and i am now moving your thread into and merging it with that larger thread. This way, you can read the entire thread and see if your question has already been answered in part or in whole, and you will also get comments from other practitioners, and i will return to this thread later and give some advice if no one else replies.

Here, courtesy of Deacon Millett of the Association of Readers and Rootworkers (AIRR), is a large working altar on which a smaller space has been marked into quadrants for the purpose of making a Psychic Vision spell that includes elements of true vision, money-drawing, spiritual protection, and physical well-being:

catherine yronwode

[Ophelia]

Unread post by [Ophelia] » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Oh this is great - I hadn't seen this thread! There is certainly a lot of information here and I am sure I will find my answer amongst it. I shall read through it all (and take notes! lol) and if I still fell confused then I shall post again. :-)

cat you are a star! (PS: you signed a copy of your book for me - when I bought it - a few years back... can't tell you how useful - and now worn - that book is, and the fact that you signed it is just tres cool! lol... Suppose I am a bit of a fan of yours! :-D)

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Well you are living in *her* house so either learn to lock your door or put your stuff away.

You've posted quite a bit about another issue, why not use a fraction of that energy towards getting your own place, or place where you can practice more openly? Consider working with Attraction, Money Drawing, and Steady Work.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Jaime Banks
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Jaime Banks » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:55 pm

ConjureMan Ali wrote:Well you are living in *her* house so either learn to lock your door or put your stuff away.

You've posted quite a bit about another issue, why not use a fraction of that energy towards getting your own place, or place where you can practice more openly? Consider working with Attraction, Money Drawing, an,d Steady Work.
You SERIOUSLY read my brain sir, I have personal goals, and yes, those were the EXACT plans I was apprehending. So thank you very much, i'm just trying to work with one spell kit at a time :)
I'm trying to give space and time to my work, within the 3 days; 3 weeks and 3 months of completion. I'm proud to say I ordered Cat's book, and I am taking plenty of notes here and a very active forumer lol. And yea I am VERY DESPERATE to move out.
Thank You SO Much St.Jude
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #2043G

[Ophelia]

Unread post by [Ophelia] » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 pm

theredc6 wrote:You don't have to have ALL of your deceased relatives on your ancestor altar. Keep the people who loved you and cared for you on your altar. If you only end up having 5 or 6 people on your altar, then so be it.

Do not put ancestors who did not like you on your altar. This includes people who were physically or emotionally abusive. They will not look out for your best interest when you do spiritual workings (or in life in general).

If you have deceased relatives who did not like EACH OTHER, make separate altars and keep them apart. The altars do not have to be large but make sure they are equal in quality and offerings. Having ancestors who did not like one another on the same altar (in the same room) can work against you as well.

If the deceased had an issue that was not solved BEFORE they died, then be CAREFUL about placing them on your altar. Be careful about putting murderers, child molesters, people with mental disorders, etc. on your altar.
I have a family tree posted up behind my Ancestor Altar... even though I don't know most of them (it goes back as far as my great-great grandfather and both my grandparents died when I was little) so I have no idea if they would 'like' me/'love' me (though I feel they do love me - well as far back as my great grandfather who I feel a connection to as he seems to guard my Mum). I also have no idea if they were 'good' people or not, though I imagine they were as things like that seem to be passed down from generation to generation don't they. What if some of them hated each other? :?
Just for info I recite their names in turn and give thanks for their blessings. I mainly 'talk' to my Aunty Nancy (my guardian) and my Grandparents though.
Thanks! :-)

[Ophelia]

Unread post by [Ophelia] » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:Ophelia82 -- Your question about altar "quadrants" is actually part of the much larger topic of altar set-ups, and i am now moving your thread into and merging it with that larger thread. This way, you can read the entire thread and see if your question has already been answered in part or in whole, and you will also get comments from other practitioners, and i will return to this thread later and give some advice if no one else replies.
Yep you were right cat (of course! lol) my initial question has indeed been answered. many thanks!

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi,

altars, from what I have read in both this thread and of the hoodoo tradition (if I understand correctly), are work areas - with or without permanent components depending on the person. Thus far, I've always worked in the kitchen (helpful work) since:

A - it's the part of the house I spend the most time and focus the most energy in
B - I love cooking and that love is something I feel residually infuses everything done there
C - very practically: tile countertop is a fire-proof base surface and it's right next door to the stove for tisanes herbs & mortar&pestle

is there any mention/tradition/advice/experiences with this kind of set-up?
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

theusurper

Unread post by theusurper » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:31 am

I have my box of wishes, inside the box i have a pyramid with all my wishes in pictures, like a new car, a cruise, etc, etc.

Every Sunday i burn in the top of the box candles,
blue for clarity,
yellow for success,
green for attraction,
orange for open road and
purple that represent myself
and on these i write these words, success, wealth, health, love and prosperity.

I anoint the candles with the respective oils from Lucky Mojo,
Clarity Oil,
Crown of Success Oil,
Attraction Oil,
Road Opener Oil,

I burn a mixture of
Crown of Success Incense,
Fast Luck Incense, and
Attraction Incense.

I do my prayers and i take a bath with 13 herb Bath.

It is amazing how my life has changed.

Thank you to my advisors, Miss Cat, Conjureman Ali, and everybody in this forum. I do my ritual when the sun rises. I think with this post i'm returning very little of what i have recieved here, but with love.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 am

Great testimony and ideas thesurper.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:23 pm

I love the idea of having a pyramid with all your goals on it! I am actually going to be doing some similar success work come Spring (gotta wait for the thaw), and I think I'm going to use that idea! Thanks!
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

corazon

Unread post by corazon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:19 pm

I have two boxes that I made - one for money and one for my relationship. They are small craft paper boxes that I made collages with pictures on the inside and outside using a collage glue.

Inside the money box is one of my checks from my checkbook that I wrote to myself with the amount of money I am needing and in the comments section what it is for. I dressed this with oils. Also included is some money - paper and coin, pictures of saints and deities I associate with money, wealth, and luck. Also in the box is money herbs and sachet powders along with a big ol lodestone. I open it each week and feed my lodestone, and burn candles atop of saucers on the top.

My relationship box contains dried roses my boyfriend has given me anointed with love oils, pictures of love deities and saints, love herbs, love notes and poems, matched lodestones, sachet powders.

I love these little boxes, they are so fun to make and use!!

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:18 pm

This is a GRAND idea and a wonderful share! Thank you theusuper!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!
HRCC Grad-Apprentice #1606

4BG

Unread post by 4BG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:12 am

Dear Forum Members,

I have read that some saints prefer having their own space away from other spirits (i.e. separate altar and sometimes separate room). One example referenced was Santa Marta La Dominadora. Since all of my petitions are drawing in nature yet placed before saints/spirits (their statues, pictures, prayer cards, etc), I wondered if there was any real validity to this statement. I have a primary altar dressed in a white cloth and it contains San Antonio, San Expedito, Angel Guardian, and the like. Can I put my Santa Marta drawing work on my regular altar? She is currently in a spare room. It seems to make sense that I could on a drawing vs banishing basis, but given I have introduced saints for assistance, does this add a further distinction? (I am a newbie).

Thank you.

spazzakazz

Unread post by spazzakazz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:39 pm

fountaingirl wrote:A quick note, I have in some circumstances had good luck with 'traveling altars," I have gotten neat (& inexpensive) vintage suitcases for this purpose. During the working I can leave the case open (often atop a piece of furniture) and then when it is done and I need to move the equipment, it can pack into the same suitcase safely. I consecrate the tools and pray over the case, and I make sure that setting up and taking down the altar is done in a respectful way, and it has worked fine.
Thankyou, great idea! I'm going on extended travels soon, this sounds perfect for me :D
So many wonderful ideas in this forum!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Dear 4BG, You wrote that you "have read that some saints prefer having their own space away from other spirits (i.e. separate altar and sometimes separate room)."

This question has been asked (and answered) IN THIS VERY THREAD several times before and the question always seems to come up from Santeria practitioners and Mexican or Latino folk-Catholics. It must be part of the religious rules of those religions. In other words, it's a religious question, not a magical question per se.

We are here to discuss African American folk magic -- conjure, hoodoo, rootwork -- and other forms of magic. I never heard of this rule in hoodoo when i was growing up, but my teachers were for the most part Protestants and Spiritualists, not Catholics, so few of them worked with Catholic saints or had traditions concerning them. Thus, in my experience, i do not think of this "segregation" of saints as a specific rule in conjure.

Here, courtesy of Valentia Burton of the Association of Readers and Rootworkers (AIRR) is an altar which features a wonderful association of personal ancestors, lineage-teachers, Catholic saints, and several different apparitions of the Virgin Mary, all cheerfully sharing one altar-space:

I suggest that if the location of your saint statues troubles you, that you ask whoever told you this rule what's up with it. If it was a priest or priestess or practitioner in your religion, then cool, follow that rule.

But for typical African American conjure -- nope, that's really not one of our rules. (Especially it's not a rule among the bulk of conjure workers, who are, after all, Protestants, and don't work with Catholic saints.)

Also, please READ THE THREAD because your question has already been answered in much greater depth just a few pages back!
catherine yronwode

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:58 am

4BG wrote:Dear Forum Members,

I have read that some saints prefer having their own space away from other spirits (i.e. separate altar and sometimes separate room). One example referenced was Santa Marta La Dominadora. Since all of my petitions are drawing in nature yet placed before saints/spirits (their statues, pictures, prayer cards, etc), I wondered if there was any real validity to this statement
Plenty of validity to it, but it doesn't apply across the board. It depends on your lineage or tradition.

Most Catholic practitioners believe that most saints are fine with sharing space so long as they are all respected. Other practitioners believe that certain saints should really have their own space set-aside for them. It depends on the spirit and the person who comes before them for aid, and the tradition in which the work is being done. Your best bet is to ask the spirits what you should be doing, or, if you have a mentor, priest, or teacher, ask them.
HRCC Student #1559

4BG

Unread post by 4BG » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Turnsteel, thank you for your helpful and clear response. I only have two altars and eventhough both contain light drawing works, I won't consolidate and will leave Santa Marta La Dominadora in the spare room where she is now and maintain my primary altar containing Santos Antonio and Expedito (and Angel Guardian). I have been careful with their individual spots, offerings, cleanings, and overall respect as well a divination indicated I was fine. Thanks again.

Catherine, a long-time hoodoo root worker/conjure worker shared with me their success in keeping Santa Marta separate.

In addition to my background, I remain open to all recommendations as I am new to conjure work.

cutie1

Unread post by cutie1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:32 am

I ordered the reconcilation kit and honey jar but i don't have an altar at home so i really don't know how can i do that what are my other choices and i want to do it the right way? Please help

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 am

An altar is any flat surface that you can work on. You don't have a table? You don't have a counter? You don't have a dresser top? You just need somewhere to work, that's all, it doens't even have to be permanent.

cutie1

Unread post by cutie1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:42 pm

thanks

Nevermore

Unread post by Nevermore » Mon May 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Can altar tools used for a negative work be used again for future love, money or protection work? I am referring specifically to a candle holder, sniffer, saucer and altar cloth. Should they be washed in a special manner of should they be disposed of in a special manner?
Thank you

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Yes, you definitely can. I mean it would cost us a lot if we had to constantly keep throwing them away.

I would clean them up with a bit of florida water or ammonia. The altar cloth you can wash by itself in the washer machine, and put in some uncrossing crystals or a bit of florida water.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

cabriellenil
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cabriellenil » Tue May 03, 2011 3:03 am

yes, when i reuse these supplies for a different kind of spellwork, i wash it with a bit of ammonia.
HRCC Graduate #1610

Nevermore

Unread post by Nevermore » Tue May 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Thank you so much!! Very re-assuring knowing we are learning from the bestest!!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue May 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Nevermore, i just use water, perhaps with Chinese Wash, or wipe items down. For instance, i would not wash my antique copper incense brazier with Ammonia.

I have posted earlier in this thread about how certain cleaning materials can damage or even destroy certain finishes or surfaces.

Do not become so hooked into a "belief system" that you ruin an antique velvet altar cloth by spraying it with Florida Water cologne. This antique tie-dye crushed velvet table runner or piano scarf should not be doused in alcohol:

Do not wash down your fancy marble table top with Lemon Juice. Acids such as vinegar and Lemon will dissolve marble stone like this:

Our altars are made of diverse materials -- no one cleaning product is safe for all surfaces -- no, not even WATER -- but Chinese wash, diluted in water and prayed over, is very safe for things that can be wetted:

WAT-CHI-GL04
Chinese Wash, 4 oz.
$5.25

catherine yronwode

blackcateyes

Unread post by blackcateyes » Fri May 06, 2011 1:43 pm

I have a question about keeping graveyard dirt on the altar....

Is it ok?

Or should you put a shot glass of whiskey and a cup of water down for the graveyard dirt souls...to make it stronger?

Or is that going to make my ancestors (cause I have an altar to them as well) jealous?

Or is it not a good idea to begin with?

I am on more frequently by the way just had alot going on in my life right now...things are hectic
Just a spoon full of honey makes the medicine go down....;)

xanek

Unread post by xanek » Sun May 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi! :D

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, but I have a question about altars.

I'm interested in getting an altar going at my house, I'd like to have an ancestral altar and a working altar but I'm sort of limited for space. I can only use my bedroom, as my roommates probably wouldn't feel comfortable if I had it out in the common areas, so my question is: can I use my ancestral altar as my working/spellcraft altar or is that not a good idea?

Thanks!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun May 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Yes you can xanek. I have posted similar discussions below for your perusal and moved your post to that section of the forum
altars-questions-and-answers-t124.html

duchess
HRCC Student

Unread post by duchess » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi all!

After listening to segment on ancestor altars on the radio LM Hoodoo Rootwork Hour tonight, I remembered a question I have been meaning to ask.

My partner and I have been living together for a few months now (I moved into his house) and we have managed to combine space harmoniously and have worked out the kinks. I have designated altars around the house, one in the bedroom for "us," another altar for prosperity work, etc. He doesn't practice hoodoo but he is very accepting of my practices.

What I don't have yet is an ancestor altar. I've discussed placement with my partner and he is fine with it. The only thing is I feel like I am leaving his ancestors out. He has quite a bit of their stuff and they are around the house just as much as mine are. Even though he doesn't practice, I feel like I am slighting them somehow if I don't create an altar for them--we are living together and will be getting married so they are going to be a part of my family too...

We've discussed various options including doing seperate altars and it seems the most natural thing in the world to put them on the same altar. Has anyone else done this? I am even thinking I should order a LM peaceful home vigil to formalize it. I am, however, the only hoodooist in the family so I will be the one doing most of the maintaining. Thoughts? Should I ask everyone how they feel about it? I am, of course, far more acquainted with my ancestors than I am his... :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mary Bee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 am

Hi duchess:

It's a great idea in general to put up an ancestor altar; I think everyone should honor their ancestors :) However, since the two of you are not married yet or blood relatives, I don't believe your ancestors and your partner's ancestors should be on the same altar. The two of you have different blood lines and and cannot automatically "access" each other's ancestors.

The best advice? If you're gifted at divination, go before your altar with your divination tool (card, pendulum, whatever) and ask *your* ancestors "Do you want to be on the same altar as (insert partner's name here)'s ancestors right now?" If they say yes, then I'd go to your partner's ancestors table with your partner present, ask him to ask the same question *for you*, and then you do the divination (unless he's gifted as a reader, then he can do the reading). If his ancestors say yes, all systems are go! Move the tables together.

If either group of ancestors says "no", ask them "May we move the altars together into one ancestor altar after we get married?" and see what their answer is. I can tell you that my deceased Catholic grandmothers would probably not want my hypothetical live-in partner *too* close until there was a wedding; they were conservative in life and they continue to be so after death :) Your relations may be too.

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 am

Thank you for that MaryBee. Can I ask how it would be different, in your opinion, if the couple was, in fact, married? My wife and I have been married for a year and a half now and have been thinking about different ancestor altar set-ups. Thank you very much for your information!

-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mary Bee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Joseph:

My personal opinion is that since marriage makes you "family" before God, why not combine the altars? However, you have to listen carefully to your ancestors to make sure they get along on the table. If yours and your wife's families knew each other in life and were pleasant to each other, no problem. But if your Aunt Martha hated your wife's Uncle Bill, you may want to put them on seperate shelves on an altar setup so they're not constantly fighting and creating tension in your home. Does that make sense?
I am single, but I keep my dad's family on one side of the altar and mom's family on the other. It feels right to me that way; they lived fara away from each other in life and there was some "in law"tension early in my parents' marriage, so I make sure things stay peaceful :)

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Thank you so much for your post! Much appreciated!

-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson

duchess
HRCC Student

Unread post by duchess » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks so much for your response!

Actually, it's funny that you mention blood. My grandma and his grandma are from the same rural part of Arkansas. We didn't know this until after we met but with very large southern families it is not out of the realm of possibility that some of our ancestors at least knew one another--maybe even intermarried. And according to some southern kinship ideas, that is pratically kin. ;)

MaryBee--thank you. Your response really got me thinking about about ancestor practices. There are things I am really wishing my elders were still around to ask about--although I am not sure they would talk about it in the same way. Everyone just took it for granted that great-uncle Moses (or aunt Dovie or Uncle Ray for that matter) was still around even though he had "passed". Sometimes he made his presence known, or expressed an opinion, and as long as you talked to him a bit and set aside a biscuit or some whiskey, well, he was happy. I always thought it a bit odd that great-grandma set out a breakfast for her deceased brother but he did like his biscuits and everyone just seemed to take these things for granted.

Anyhow, I am getting off topic here...sorry... :) I am just now getting into the habit of "formalizing" my ancestor practice. I've been doing some of these things most my life but I am trying to be more conscious of it and get better at it--does that make sense?

I think I'll take your advice and just ask them and see what they say. I've been thinking about putting some spirit guide oil in my next order--do you have any other suggestions on LM products to use so I can communicate with them more clearly and consciously? I can certainly do divination with cards but they don't really seem to like to talk to me in that way. I get the feeling that they prefer direct.

Thanks so much,

duchess

P.s Joseph I would love to hear what you end up doing if you choose to share! :)

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mary Bee » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:17 am

Hi duchess:

Psychic Vision oil and incense may help you communicate with your ancestors also. One thing you can also try to improve dream communication (my ancestors come to me in my dreams a lot) is to take a clear glass of water, set it next to my bed just before I go to sleep and pray over it, asking my ancestors to visit me in my dreams. When you wake up write down the dreams you remember.

Mary Bee
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker

duchess
HRCC Student

Unread post by duchess » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:42 am

Thanks MaryBee!

Totally forgot about Psychic vision oil--something else to add to the next order.

duchess

tenorio

Unread post by tenorio » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:49 am

As a total beginner with this stuff, I've been reading up on the basics, and noticed that some authors suggest having a skull on your altar. Does the *type* of skull matter at all? Should I get a sugar skull? Crystal one? If the latter, what type of crystal (labradorite, rose quartz, clear quartz, smokey quartz, amethyst, agate, etc.)?

DrXTheRebirth

Unread post by DrXTheRebirth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Good question. Regarding the crystals, Hoodoo doesn't use crystals in it's work but if it's just for decoration, I'd go with it if I could afford it. However, IMHO, type of skull doesn't matter only the symbolism.
Thank you St. Anthony, Ancestors and Expedite.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Having a skull on your altar isn't mandatory. I've met plenty of rootworkers who didn't have any type of skull on their altar. For example, look through the altar picturs at AIRR and you'll find that there are plenty without skulls.

if you like the symbolism great, if you work with the spirits of the dead, even better, but you aren't going to find a rule in conjure saying you need to have a skull on your altar.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:10 pm

I agree a skull candle is not necessary on your altar. But what you add to an altar depends on the purpose of the work. Now let say you are trying to influence a person for love work. You can definitely fix a red skull candle, and not burn it...but speak with it, and use it as a piece on your altar.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:46 am

Copy with what others have said--the primary reasons that a root worker would have a skull on their altar would be if they work with spirits/ancestors or if they are doing wisdom/clarity/influence work on a target and are using the skull to stand in for the head. I have a beautiful pyrite skull from miss cat that I love to use for pay me and money drawing work :-)
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:15 pm

In all my years i was never told that having a skull on one's altar is "recommended." Some have them, some do not. Some use a carving of a skull or a skull candle to represent the dead, others would never have such a thing in their home. It's amazing what passes for "knowledge" these days.
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:40 pm

I was never told that I HAD to have a skull on my altar, and I happen to actually have a crystal skull on my altar! Funny! I wonder which authors suggest that! Interesting topic... Nice to see Bri, Ali, Stars, Cat chime in!

-Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson

Cyd
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Cyd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:14 pm

I am Presently working on a money drawing and luck Alter i have come with this
I take a Pregnant Amber Colored Buddha that has in cased in it Red beans,Horseshoe,Lode stone chunks and Cross of caravaca Next a lucky Cat Bank
in which i put a pinch of Thyme,Mint and Bayberry and any lose change i may fave placed in there until its full. A Saint Expedite Figure. A golden
painted Horse shoe and 3 Green Candles this will lay on a green cloth.
Everybody worrying me, want to know why I'm so crazy about dirt dauber tea
(Memphis Minnie)

yoragoddess

Unread post by yoragoddess » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Could someone tell me why are saucers and bowls turned upside down in certain spells?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:55 pm

In all the ones I can think of, it's generally so that you can place some non-flat items underneath the saucer, and burn candles on top of them - the saucer or bowl provides a flat surface the candle can rest on. For instance, if you're using a john the conqueror root, wrapped into a petition paper with some other herbs, a candle would not balance on top of that. So you put them items under the saucer or bowl, and then rest the dressed candle on the bottom of the saucer/bowl.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

yoragoddess

Unread post by yoragoddess » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks,and I'm trying to figure some crazy symbolism behind it. lol

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:16 pm

yoragoddess,

One major reason to place items under a saucer or bowl is to avoid getting wax dripped on them from the candle while performing a candle spell over them.

There are some good pictures of Miss Benedikte's work for clients where she uses a clear glass bowl (a very small one) for this. She places items under the bowl while burning candles on top of the bowl -- and here is just one of her pictures that shows the technique, courtesy of AIRR -- she is dedicating a mojo bag for a client and has placed it under a glass bowl which is turned upside down, and has set a candle (in a stamped metal star-holder) on the bowl:

catherine yronwode

yoragoddess

Unread post by yoragoddess » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 am

Thank you for your prompt answers.

andy598

Unread post by andy598 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 am

What should be done if a statue of a saint accidentally falls off a counter or altar unto the floor and partially breaks? Should I glue back together and get rid of it?

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:11 am

Depending on the context in which the statue falls it may be a sign that this particular Saint is not willing to work for your cause or that things are going to go hard with your case. As to protocol--I have heard different things from different people. Some folks will glue the statue back together and in cases of clumsiness or such that is what I would do. Some will take the pieces and bury them or wrap them in a blanket and put them in a drawer that is seldom used. This last can also be used for Saints who are not working for you the way you would like them to--I learned it from an old lady in New Mexico who was a devout Catholic and worked in her own magical tradition.
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:24 am

Its interesting you would ask this question andy598. I had a statue to arrive in the mail broken. I chose Miss Bri's last recommendation to wrap and put away, may eventually glue back together, hadn't decided yet. The statue was unique and I just didn't want to dispose of it.

andy598

Unread post by andy598 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:56 am

I was told by a card reader that when a Saint brakes, it's a sign of bad (evil) that came you way and the Saint absorbed it and is notifying you. Also, the card reader advised me to take the Saint to a tree and leave it or give it to someone as a gift. Do you believe that the Saint will be upset if left by a tree?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:17 am

I have a Saint Martha dominator statue (the afro-carribean depiction aka the Black woman) with the snakes. Well my statue accidently fell after I was not watching what I was doing while cleaning. One of the snakes that stick out sort of isolated broke off. I simply apologized to saint martha for being so careless, and glue the statue back together. I lit a candle to her and ask that she give me some indication that she will still work with me. Everything was great and she still works great for me til this day.

I think you should glue it back together, and simply apologize to the saint.

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”