Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Altars: Questions and Answers

butterfly2

Re: Altars: Questions and Answers

Unread post by butterfly2 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:07 pm

thanks for the reply elknapp. would you also happen to advise of something that could be used to clean the air after doing the kits. my bathroom & bedroom smell like smoke no matter how much perfume, febreze, or bleach i use. sometimes the smoke gets in my throat & makes me cough. also, what would you recommend to pour down my sink & bathroom drains so that it isnt contaminated with the enrgy from the work that has to carry the water down?

thanks,
butterfly

Lukianos
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lukianos » Sun May 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi butterfly,

There is no substitute for adequate ventilation when burning incense. If the incense is smoking excessively, try burning it (and burn less of it) in a covered burner, with a slotted lid to slow down the burn. If dressed candles are smoking, try using less material (oil and/or herbs) when dressing them. If you feel a need to clean your drains afterwards, you can use a couple cap fulls of ammonia in a cup of water, or use diluted Florida Water to rinse them down.
Peace be with you,
Lukianos

nemesis

Unread post by nemesis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:42 pm

May I seek your kind advice what does a money altar entails? I would like to improve my lottery luck.....many thanks :)

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi nemesis,

Well for a money altar you wanna think green :-)

Here is a list of items that I would consider essential on a money altar:
1.) Green candles
CAN-601-GREE

2.) Oil Lamp

3.) Lodestone(s)
http://www.luckymojo.com/lodestone.html

4.) Magnetic Sand
http://www.luckymojo.com/magneticsand.html

5.) Lady Luck Formula
http://www.luckymojo.com/ladyluck.html

6.) Money Drawing Formula
http://www.luckymojo.com/moneydrawing.html

7.) Money Stay with Me Formula
http://www.luckymojo.com/moneystaywithme.html

8.) Wealthy Way Formula
http://www.luckymojo.com/products-wealthy-way.html

9.) Red Fast Luck Formula
http://www.luckymojo.com/fastluck.html

10.)Lucky Thirteen Formula
http://www.luckymojo.com/lucky13.html

11.) Paper Money (real bills or play money-I prefer real bills personally for the altar and play money for petitions)
12.) Lottery Tickets

The formulas that I have listed can be bought from Lucky Mojo as oils, incenses, sachet powders, and bath crystals. You may also want to look at some of Lucky Mojo's wide selection of lucky number books: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html#dreambooks

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

nemesis

Unread post by nemesis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks Bri for your kind advice, appreciate that :)

It is necessary to burn the candles and oil lamp everyday?

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:33 am

nemesis wrote:Thanks Bri for your kind advice, appreciate that :)

It is necessary to burn the candles and oil lamp everyday?
It really depends on what you are doing, what you are working on. I burn both candles and a lamp every day though because I do consistent, continual, money work.
take care,
Bri

eagerbeaver88

Unread post by eagerbeaver88 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Just curious is it best to have seperate altars for each purpose or can i have one main altar and burn all my candles there...example, i have an altar i keep for protection my st michael prayer card candle along with my reversal candles and protection candles i burn but i also burn candles for money drawing, would it be best to have a seperate money alter?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:49 pm

eagerbeaver88,

It is not necessary to keep a separate altar for each type of work you do.

Here is an altar with elements relating to many types of work including court cases, safe travel, protection, and healing:

But, on the other hand, here is an altar with elements relating to the veneration of one single Hindu goddess, Kali, in her several manifestations:

Good luck!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:56 pm

You can use one space, but you can split off down the middle. Personally, I like to have different spaces where I do my work. But you can split your space into different sections.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

redacepilot

Unread post by redacepilot » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:16 pm

I was told that you cannot put any other candle, like for money, near areversible candle, because it will also reverse the work of anything like that. Your money will leave instead of come in.

Do the Saint Michael and reversible first in 3s, then do the money drawing on the alter, or find another space for the money drawing.

fountaingirl

Unread post by fountaingirl » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:15 pm

A quick note, I have in some circumstances had good luck with 'traveling altars," I have gotten neat (& inexpensive) vintage suitcases for this purpose. During the working I can leave the case open (often atop a piece of furniture) and then when it is done and I need to move the equipment, it can pack into the same suitcase safely. I consecrate the tools and pray over the case, and I make sure that setting up and taking down the altar is done in a respectful way, and it has worked fine.

eagerbeaver88

Unread post by eagerbeaver88 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:08 pm

what about if i have an altar where i burn my st cipriano and st michael candles all the time? could i also burn a st martha candle if i want her to do something for me as well?

robynrawr

Unread post by robynrawr » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:28 pm

I have a saint altar where I keep saint prayer cards, statues, and burn their candles on.

eagerbeaver88

Unread post by eagerbeaver88 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:42 pm

thanks robyn so it seems to work well for you?

robynrawr

Unread post by robynrawr » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Yes. The only "saint" I keep separate is la Santisima Muerte, who pretty much demanded her own altar. As for the others, they play together nicely.

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:11 am

It all comes down to what you believe is right for you. If ypu're comfortable having everything on one altar, then use one. If you prefer seperate ones, go with that. The only hard and fast rule is that you should follow your instincts and do what you feel you need to.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:57 pm

eagerbeaver88 wrote:Just curious is it best to have seperate altars for each purpose or can i have one main altar and burn all my candles there...example, i have an altar i keep for protection my st michael prayer card candle along with my reversal candles and protection candles i burn but i also burn candles for money drawing, would it be best to have a seperate money alter?
There is a big thread on this discussion. The best and most simple, straightforward advice I can give you is that if you have limited space create 2 altars. Put one in the East and one in the West. The East will be the altar for everything that you want to increase and attract (love, money, success, blessings, etc, etc) This is because the Sun rises in the East. The West will be for everything that you want to have less of in your life (debt, enemies, vicious co-workers, etc, etc). This is because the Sun sets in the West. That is the most simple way I know to do it. As you start doing more kinds of work you will probably find a system that works for you, given your particular areas of focus.

good luck,
Bri

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:13 am

While you do probably do not need an altar, I can attest that my altar feeds/channels my energy into what I am working on very well. I would encourage all people who wish to explore an altar space in there home to go ahead and try it. It is a wonderful experience/space.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:16 am

This was one of the most informative and helpful threads I have read in a while! Thanks all for sharing ideas and personal doings on here!
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Mohammed

Unread post by Mohammed » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:16 am

Personally, I wash everything in water to which I add borax and Florida water.

Florida water is good as an all-purpose cleanser, for me. You can sprinkle in rooms where you feel bad or stagnant energy. If you buy items at a thrift store, wash or sprinkle with Florida water to remove the energy of the last person....etc.

EbonySmiles

Unread post by EbonySmiles » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:11 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:The belief that one should not pt a photo of a living person on an altar with the dead is not found in hoodoo, therefore it is from other cultural traditions and off-topic for this forum. Please understand, we cannot teach ALL systems of magic here. This fourum is for conjure.

Over the years I have learned that many in my family don't have the warmest feeling towards me because of my adoption. I learned shortly after my mother pasted that my favorite Aunt had NO love for me at all. I know that my mother and father loved me dearly. I have a picture of them on my alter. But my father's mother didn't think my parents should have adopted. But her husband always treated me well. Should I put a picture of my deceased relatives regardless of their feelings while living? They are the only family I have.
Also I have included pets. They loved me and this I am sure of. And I figured I needed all the love I could use when it came to someone watching over me.

theredc6

Unread post by theredc6 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:30 pm

EbonySmiles wrote: Should I put a picture of my deceased relatives regardless of their feelings while living? They are the only family I have.
Also I have included pets. They loved me and this I am sure of. And I figured I needed all the love I could use when it came to someone watching over me.
You don't have to have ALL of your deceased relatives on your ancestor altar. Keep the people who loved you and cared for you on your altar. If you only end up having 5 or 6 people on your altar, then so be it.

Do not put ancestors who did not like you on your altar. This includes people who were physically or emotionally abusive. They will not look out for your best interest when you do spiritual workings (or in life in general).

If you have deceased relatives who did not like EACH OTHER, make separate altars and keep them apart. The altars do not have to be large but make sure they are equal in quality and offerings. Having ancestors who did not like one another on the same altar (in the same room) can work against you as well.

If the deceased had an issue that was not solved BEFORE they died, then be CAREFUL about placing them on your altar. Be careful about putting murderers, child molesters, people with mental disorders, etc. on your altar.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Though this thread is really old, it was so interesting that I couldn't help commenting. While hoodoo has traditional roots, it seems that from an academic point of view, that hoodoo is about working with the here in and now. Therefore there is a great deal of room to personalize the system while working within traditional boundaries. On this note, when making an altar or altars, its all about what feels right to you and availabilty. If you have the space and you feel that you'd be more comfortable working with more than one altar then go for it. If you want to have two altars, three, or four, its up to you. The idea is that its tradition to have some surface to work on, whether its a coffee table that gets transformed into an altar or an elaborate altar decorated with symbolism is up to the practitioner.

Now personally I have two altars. I have one altar in my room for conjure and its worked fine for me so far. I keep it undecorated and plain though it might sport a few candles from time to time. I keep all my magical apparati under the table in a space, or in a closet I have devoted to such use. My second altar is in a separate room that has been created into the magical temple required for my high magick and ceremonial magick (if hoodoo is about working with the magick of the earth, and the here and now, ceremonial magick would focus on the transcendence or other worldness). The idea is to not mix the magico-religious systems.

Hope that makes sense.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

elbee

Unread post by elbee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:22 am

I need some advice. I am constantly having to move my work around do to my hyper-religious nanny and our endless array of overnight guests. Our baby shares a room with us and somehow this gives everyone access to even my most private spaces, like when they putting the baby to sleep or looking for a change of clothes.

I'm lighting candles, putting things out, moving them into closets and drawers and in a bind, under laundry. Things spill, the wax breaks, work for cleansing and blessings ends up under the bathroom sink (sometimes my husband hides things). I hate this, and I absolutely hate to put out candles. I've even set up a camera in front of an altar and called it an "art project" but someone came along and blew out the candles. I'm very organized and love labels and bottles and presentation; this is how I can really focus. I'm trying, but I'm sure that I am just wasting a lot of time, effort, and products on work that just falls flat or remains unfinished.

The fact of the matter is I have to hide it. I can't just fire a nanny who is great with my kid and tell my mother in law to stay out of my bedroom, but is there anything I can do to keep the spells going strong?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:31 am

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Is there an extra closet that you can put a lock onto and use as an altar space? You could always tell people that that space is locked because you put a bunch of hazardous stuff in there to be away from the baby. Or, can you put some religious pictures onto the altar space so that it looks more mainstream religious, and then ask people to respect your prayer space and not to blow out any prayer candles that may be lit?
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:39 am

There are several methods I have used... plain candles...set up in bathroom...den...various areas. Sometimes we don't have that pleasure...I have read that some people rent small units for spell work only. Some of us do not may not have that luxury...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:50 am

Use 4 inch candles that burn out in 2 hours or less. Put your supplies in metal or plastic boxes. I have mine in four plastic shoeboxes; one for candles, one for oils, one for incense, one for baths and herbs. Set up a little space on a dresser and tell everyone that this is your space and you would appreciate it if people would leave your things alone.

Even if you weren't practicing magic, you still deserve some time alone. Start making it clear to people that you would like some privacy and need some time to think. Consider limiting the number of guests and moving the baby out of your bedroom.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:44 pm

elbee,

My advice is to get creative in your altar set ups. First off, having everything in one space or area is a dead give-away that there is something unusual going on.

Secondly, it is traditional for workers to have a couple of different altars and I know many who have three or four condition altars. Now you might be thinking "that's great, I ask about hiding and I get advice to make *more* altars!" but if you are a little sneaky you can keep your work going and camouflage it in the open.

A little table with pretty green plants, a tasteful framed image of a Saint or spirit that you work with for prosperity, and your green prosperity candles is no longer an "altar", its a pretty table with plants, a picture and some candles for decoration. If you like having your oils and incense at hand, invest in furniture with drawers where any "incriminating" paraphanalia can be put away quickly.

I know a woman whose love altar is the mantle of her fireplace. She had images of herself and her husband, items that have sentimental and magical significance to her, and pretty red and pink candles for "decoration." Drawers and cabinets for supplies are handy for organization, but the altars can be easily kept in the open with a little ingenuity :-)

good luck!
Bri

GoddessMojo

Unread post by GoddessMojo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:36 pm

I have a few ideas that might help...

I use small trays to set up my altars around the house. This way the whole tray can be picked up and moved without disturbing my work- great for hiding, but also great if you want to watch a candle while you do other stuff, easy to take it with you. I also love my mini-oil lamps for privacy...on a low light one almost doesn't notice they are lit, and for small amounts of time I don't feel uncomfortable turning them down and putting them in a cabinet while lit (leave the cabinet door slightly ajar, but don't do this with candles!).

My love altar is a small- perhaps 6 inch round- black 30's tin tray with roses painted on it, it holds a red oil lamp, crystal skulls representing myself and my lover, a few love tokens, a small incence holder- the type with space for both cone and stick incence, a vase for offerings, a statue of the Roman deity Luna and her twins, and a candle, and there is still room for whatever I am working on at the time. It lives on one bedside table, and easily hides inside of it's cabinet with one motion. The same for my money altar, on the other table. That tray doesn't have enough space for everything I have there, but I use the tray for the bills, coins, candles and herbs I use which get messy and hard to quickly put away, then put back out; bigger items sit beside the tray. It's far easier to move a $20 bill surrounded by dimes and powders with a candle on top in one single move via the tray.

I have also found if I just put something else with my altar- like a plant or a family picture, it doesn't look so out of place to a non-hoodoo eye. I use decorative wooden boxes at these small altars to keep things I need there; and I keep my other supplies in several old cigar boxes- I found 3 with latches which just keeps people from randomly popping them open to see what is inside as they sometimes do, one has various dividers so it works well for curios. These can be carried to where I am doing my work and also have doubled as small portable altars..remove supplies, cover with cloth, candle in place.. tadah... temporary altar- also easily moveable while keeping work intact!

Also, tea lights are great because you can pop the tea light out of the metal tin, put your herbs, oils, and petition in, and put the candle back on top....and they burn out quickly.

Definitely consider demanding some private space and being very firm about it, you don't have to explain or justify it to anyone. Being a mother doesn't mean you don't get to have some space and privacy of your own.
Thank you Saint Martha for hearing my petition and for your ongoing good works for myself and others.

Girlmagik

Unread post by Girlmagik » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:50 am

Im glad I came across this because Im having this problem too. In fact when I ask for that private space it is willfully and purposefully violated out of curiosity and 'nosie-ness' ....hate it!
Will have to get creative :) and I need some locks and keys.

thegoldman

Unread post by thegoldman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:40 pm

I've seen many posts re: mirror boxes, and wanted to know if it's ok for a big mirror to be behind my candle altar (the altar is on my dresser in my bedroom, and the candles always face out towards me).

I always thought that the mirrors would help magnify the energy of the candles...

theusurper

Unread post by theusurper » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:02 pm

I'm not expert but i do the same,always i have my candles in the top of the mirror and another one to the side. yes, the mirrors help magnify the energy of the candles, i have my honey jar around mirrors.

Girlmagik

Unread post by Girlmagik » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:37 pm

I read on the board to face east when drawing something to you and west when you want a situation to leave you...but what about when you are dressing a doll for an enemy and you want to command/compel her or to cause her confusion or shut her up.

What direction do you face to do this work when working with the doll/poppet?

Thanks.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Some workers take directionality into account, and some don't. Don't feel obligated to if it's not a practice that particularly interests you. So if it's confusing to you, then best just to leave it out until you have a better grasp on the subject matter.

That being said, it could be fairly subjective as to which direction you wanted to use.

You could face South to draw on the aggressive energies of Fire.

You could face West if you wanted to attune your work to the setting sun and letting that energy tell her to leave you alone, just as the sun leaves us in that direction.

You could face North, the place of darkness and night, to send her to darkness and death.

It would all depend on how YOU view the directions and the elements, and then how it made sense for you to work with them for your context.

Tabbylove17
HRCC Student

Unread post by Tabbylove17 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:17 pm

I just bought a bust of the Lord and the Lady (not too big); These two will always be on my alter, but depending on the spell that I am doing can I put a 3rd statue there and still have a pretty affective alter? I'm sure that I can, but I just wanted to ask.
Ask, Believe, Receive!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:19 pm

I have seen altars with all sorts of status specific to the intent e.g. St. Martin for drawing money along with money type artifacts and candles, etc. etc., you get the picture?

Livia Indica

Unread post by Livia Indica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:06 am

Be careful about putting murderers, child molesters, people with mental disorders, etc. on your altar.
I can understand the murderers and child molesters part but what's the reasoning behind worrying over those with mental disorders on your altar(s)?

I ask because my maternal grandmother was schizophrenic and I want her on my altar and I plan on using dirt from her grave in some future workings, but haven't yet. There's also some serious depression, eating disorders and drug addiction in my family and much of this in relatives I want to honor and ask for help.

Is it just because disorganized thinking could equal disorganized/ineffective magic?

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 am

Hi, Livia.

I think opinions are bound to vary on the topic of ancestral veneration. I have seen some who feel it is appropriate to honor ALL of your ancestors -- even if in life they were not particularly warm toward you. My own feelings on this are mixed. My paternal grandmother despised my brother and me. She felt my dad had married beneath his station in life and we were the visible reminders of this marriage she did not approve of; nonetheless, I do have some things of hers displayed upon my ancestor's altar. Do I call on her for assistance? No, as I am almost certain she would be unwilling to help me; but she is still my momaw and I honor her all the same.

Now think: your granny did not CHOOSE to be ill as mine chose to be unkind. In life, was she good to you? Did she want the best for you? Look beyond her illness to the true essence of her intent and feelings toward you. I do not know if mental illnesses are carried beyond into the spirit world -- I certainly hope not! I like to think once we pass we are freed from our bodily/earthly afflictions. I just can't see equating mental illness with willful evil like murderers and pedophiles. Unless someone can come forward and propose a good reason why one should not call on the spirits of persons who loved you in life but were unfortunately afflicted with an illness, I would take the advice given before with a dose of healthy doubt. Only YOU can know if your grandmother would want to help you.

Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

Livia Indica

Unread post by Livia Indica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Michelle
I do not know if mental illnesses are carried beyond into the spirit world -- I certainly hope not! I like to think once we pass we are freed from our bodily/earthly afflictions.
That's primarily what I was wondering about. I've always kinda thought that once free of this fleshy prison we are also free of whatever afflicted said flesh. But that post before got me wondering if I'd missed something in the Lucky Mojo archives.
I just can't see equating mental illness with willful evil like murderers and pedophiles.
Yep, yep, yep, couldn't agree more. I guess I passed it over before cuz I'm just used to it. My brother is also schizophrenic and I have a somewhat mild form of bipolar so I guess after years of hearing/seeing the mentally ill grouped together with criminals I've just developed a thick skin about it.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:36 pm

I'm sure the person who posted that was not intentionally meaning any insult, implied or otherwise.

The ultimate decision lies with you and who you want to include. Some people who work with necromancy, or other spirit work indicate that simply because a person has passed on does not mean they have suddenly changed. The indication is that they are still the same person, but merely have access to different resources. Therefore, a person who was limited by a mental disorder in this world would be similarly limited on the next plane as well. The same goes for the idea of working with those who you know would be interested in you or love you. If your relative was not fond of you, petitioning them to bring you a lover may not result in a favorable outcome. Like all things in the occult, this is really a theory and fluid paradigm, not a hard fact. Do what you feel is right and ultimately produces the best results.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Sadly in the cases of severe dementia and psychosis, sometimes those spirits don't realize when they pass and remain very confused and frightened. I think those would be more in order of ones you wouldn't neccesesarily call on for aid or veneration right away. I would work to help them get clear, myself, and then once they've reaccustomed to the other-side that may be the time to begin working.

Actually, I have heard that you should wait 3 years before calling on ANY newly passed ancestor, so that they have time to adjust to their new existence. That makes sense to me personally, and so I've been following that guideline.

But there are soooo many different ideas about ancestral work, that it seems to me that if you are not part of a tradition that has very hard and fast protocol to follow, that you just go with what makes the most sense to you, and with what you get the best results with.

I've heard from some sources that ALL ancestors are to go on your altar, even if they were very abusive. I can tell you that there are several people who absolutely will NOT be on my altar once they pass. I've forgiven them - in that I don't let my past with them effect my current life - but I have no need of their influence in my space at any time. If I'm wrong, well then, the good Lord can slap me on the wrist when I get over there! But I would feel endlessly uncomfortable seeing their faces every single time I passed that altar, and that's just not something that I will allow to happen in my life.

So - do with what feels right to you and that works. You can always get further guidance from your ancestors about specific things they would like for you to do.

I like Martin Coleman's "Communing with the Spirits" - you should pick up a copy. :)

Livia Indica

Unread post by Livia Indica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm sure the person who posted that was not intentionally meaning any insult, implied or otherwise.
Yeah, I know. It's just a symptom of the larger problem. So, no worries.

After reading through all of your thoughtful and knowledgeable responses I think I've decided against using dirt from my grandma's grave, at least for now. She's the only close loved one I've lost so far in this life so I was seriously considering it as I don't like the idea of using a stranger's grave dirt. But I have a lot of pent up resentment toward her because of the way she treated my Mom when she was young. I don't think I can resolve that, at least not at this point. I will still have her on my altar because I did/do love her and I know she loved me.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:01 pm

There have been several Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwork Hour podcasts on ancestor work. One of them discussing ways to address relatives that you are not able to work due to personal reasons. They are very informative, you may wish to listen through them. :)

Livia Indica

Unread post by Livia Indica » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:17 pm

I might have to try that. I've never done the podcast thing as I've never had the internet speed for it but I recently got a slight upgrade so maybe now I could try that.

Tabbylove17
HRCC Student

Unread post by Tabbylove17 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:39 pm

Yeah basically it having 3 statues shouldn't make too much of a problem.

Thanks!
Ask, Believe, Receive!

zee_2

Unread post by zee_2 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:52 am

Hi,
I am sure similar topic must have come up before, but I don't know if something with this slant has been discussed before. One of the posts/threads that I read mentioned on how families /friends not familiar or with a negative view of hoodoo frown or actively discourage the use of any hoodoo altars/tools in plain view.
I have so far only had temporary altars that I set up on a coffee table for my work and then take it down when its time for the family to come home. I want to gradually start setting up some altars that can be put up in plain view without causing suspicion.

I dont use the dressing table in my bedroom, and I was thinking if it would be a good place to start an ancestor altar. Also we do not normally put up frames photos or portraits, so instead of pictures, which would invite comment, I have decided to put up some nice candles in symbolic colors, and mementos of the deceased relatives. , eg my father's rosary, my mom's prayer book and so forth. I also have a favorite family photo which has four generations of the family's women which I have put on my jewelry box. I think that , with my favorite 'memento' jewelry would also be a good focal point for ancestor veneration. My grandmother in particular was a very patient and wise woman, and I feel she would be a good guide.

I also want to set up an altar to my favorite saints or those whom I am working with on the same altar. I have saint postcards, as they are easier to conceal when not being used, I was wondering if I should use the same altar for them? and in fact can I repurpose it to other uses such as love and money work etc?

What are the other ways in which I can create and keep an altar in plain sight without it looking overtly so?
Thanks!
Zee

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:33 am

zee there are thousands of methods used to make altars, it seems like you have a nice selection as is.

GoddessMojo

Unread post by GoddessMojo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:22 am

I think it has been mentioned that if you have limited altar space, the only hard and fast 'rule' might be to use separate spaces for drawing and banishing, positive/negative works, increase/decrease work. Placing the altar for increase/good facing east or on the east side of the room, and the decrease/negative on the west. Some people just divide one altar. I wouldn't put the saints on my ancestor altar, but would instead give each their own space- it need not be more than a candle and a glass of water (which could also be a decorative bowl, or small vase)- but there isn't any reason you couldn't combine them. A tip I gave on the last discussion about altar space is that I use trays for placing the main items on my altars. This way if/when I need to stash them away, it is simple and easy to pick them up and put them in a closet or cabinet, and for me, this feels less disrespectful to my work, a saint, or my ancestors, when I must necessarily conceal them as I don't have to actually disassemble the altar. Especially useful for my prosperity altar which contains a large cache of coins and cash. A bedside table is a wonderful place, and your ideas for your ancestor altar are too. I like having my altar to St. Martha next to my bed, as it gives me a focal point as I drift off to sleep and reminds me right away when I wake to attend to my work and her altar. I thin you will find maintaining your altar space very rewarding. I am glad to know I am not the only one who lives in an environment where photos are an odd thing to have on one's walls. There is a wonderful multi-page thread on altar space a few months back that had some great ideas.
Thank you Saint Martha for hearing my petition and for your ongoing good works for myself and others.

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 pm

There many theories on altars. I keep my ancestor altar in my laundry room and my other altars in my walk-in closet. I have a hoodoo altar out with my saints. Since I have a Haitian path, I have quite a few altars.

I do not like my ancestors in my bedroom.

Mary

dorothybaez
HRCC Student

Unread post by dorothybaez » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 am

Literarylioness wrote:I do not like my ancestors in my bedroom.
I've always been told that it's disrespectful to put ancestors or saints in a place where you get naked.
Student #1748
Thank you Jesus and Yemaya!

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:14 pm

dorothybaez wrote: I've always been told that it's disrespectful to put ancestors or saints in a place where you get naked.
I was taught to keep the ancestor altar outside of the bedroom, so I always do.

Mary

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:20 pm

You can sprinkle a little bit of Banishing powder around your altar spaces to actually banish individuals from touching it and even banish their attention.

Working with an altar that has space beneath it to store items is rather helpful. You can leave out unobtrusive things like tea-lights, votives, but can't exactly leave out a devil candle, or worse a genitalia candle. This is where the drawers come in handy, when you are not working with them you can snuff out the candles and place them in a drawer or space beneath the altar. A little dash of Banishing powder around the altar and you'll keep the rabble away.

canobiecrazy

Unread post by canobiecrazy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Im just curious, is it okay to use Silk Flowers on an altar instead of real ones?

Aaaaannnnddddd, Yippie! Its my first post! :D

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:38 pm

I have some fake flowers on my altar. So you can use them i dont see why not.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

canobiecrazy

Unread post by canobiecrazy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:58 pm

starsinthesky7 wrote:I have some fake flowers on my altar. So you can use them i dont see why not.
Okay, thank you!

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:I believe that this is a direct extension of the general and widely-held African American folk belief that a woman should never set her purse on the floor when out visiting because if she does, she will become "low in money."
My mom ALWAYS told me not to put/leave my purse on the floor that then I will have no money! And she is NOT into any type of magic.
I never believed (cuz what has purse to do with the money i get!) but had to pick it up cause I lived with her, so had to obey.
Now when I dont live with her any more, my purse is always on the floor as I dont have enough room for all my stuff. Needless to say Im tight on money :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now Im gonna go pick my purse from the floor :).

kmew1315

Unread post by kmew1315 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Interesting. I think I'm going to stop throwing my wallet on the floor when I take off my pants (and stop leaving them in my pants pocket if I throw them on the floor - well, assuming I'm alone at least :lol: )
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Hey Kevin, I didnt think of it. I often keep my wallet in the back pocket of jeans, even though Im a girl :lol: and even though my mom AGAIN told me not too :lol: but I guess this one was for the reason that its easier to steal from the back pocket.

MysticRootworker

Unread post by MysticRootworker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Wow-
I always keep my purse on the floor. Well- no more for that! I too never have alot of cash in that purse that is sitting on the floor as I type this! ;-)

MysticRootworker

Unread post by MysticRootworker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:56 pm

I was reading through the posts and saw where you are not supposed to put drawing work (love?) in the west? I have an end table set up with my honey jar, candles etc. Kinda like an altar until I get my room together that I am devoting to my work. I was wondering if this is counter-productive for me since it is in the WEST corner of my room! Where I read this was in a thread about altars. Could this be affecting my work?
Thanks everyone

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”