• Advertisement
Missionary-Independent.org

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Altars: Questions and Answers

Re: Altars: Questions and Answers

Unread postby aura » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:09 am

Hi phonehappy,

having an altar is not 100% necessary. you can have temporary or moveable work spaces if you need to. many work this way and it's a valid way to go about your business. that said, on the other hand, many people find that having a permanent space devoted to the work you do is an invaluable asset for success. The energy that builds in a space devoted to Love, Money, Family, Deity, adds and supports your work even when you're not actively praying. It's also a symbol to the Divine that your practice is important enough for you to devote it a space - even just the back of a closet - it gives your intention PERMANENCE and RESIDENCE in your life and home.
Road-Opening, Healing & Herbalism
Forum Moderator

Unread postby phonehappy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks very much aura. That actually makes sense. I do have a small alter but with company coming I will have to put it aside. Gotta work that honey jar though :)
phonehappy

Unread postby silverspoon22 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 am

i just finished doing a commanding spell, during the last 4 hours of the candle burn the wick floated the the side and soothed the right side of the glass, about 2 hours later the wick floated back to the middle and the rest of the burn was clean can any one explain this. the candle burned for 6days.
silverspoon22

Unread postby Zola Kathryn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Silverspoon22,
I personally haven't ever experienced a burn like that. Make a note to yourself about the wick, observe the outcome of the spellwork, and that could be an indicator for you in the future.
In Service,
Miz Zola
HRCC Graduate #1176G
Zola Kathryn
Forum Moderator

Altar questions....

Unread postby Rookie2conjure » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:47 am

I have a spare bedroom which I want to converted into an altar room.

This will be for personal use to help me and my family. No negative work, just positive work.

My question is, can I have several altars in that room, for instance altars for my saints, my ancestors, money altar, love altar, family altar? Success ... Which altar would this belong to?

Also, as for the money altar, I suppose this is where I will be working on steady work and money drawings and boss fix. Now, my question on this, do I need to make two money altars one for me and my husband or I can just have one for us?

Thank you :-)
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
Rookie2conjure

Re: Altar questions....

Unread postby Turnsteel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:39 am

Hello.

Rookie2conjure wrote:My question is, can I have several altars in that room, for instance altars for my saints, my ancestors, money altar, love altar, family altar? Success ... Which altar would this belong to?

Yes you can have multiple altars in a single room. You can do success work either at whatever altar you have for the goal, (success in love at your love altar,success in your career at the money altar) or you can build an altar for your own personal success and mastery.

Rookie2conjure wrote:Also, as for the money altar, I suppose this is where I will be working on steady work and money drawings and boss fix. Now, my question on this, do I need to make two money altars one for me and my husband or I can just have one for us?

Either option works. I would personally have a single money altar to bring wealth into the house.
God bless you Dr Jose Gregorio Hernandez.
Thank you Saint Expedite
Turnsteel

Unread postby Rookie2conjure » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks Turnsteel :)

Now, since that will be my sacred/altar room, do I need to remove the camphor squares I have in that room?

Thank you!
Rookie2conjure

Unread postby MissMichaele » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:45 am

Rookie2conjure wrote:I have a spare bedroom which I want to converted into an altar room.

Lucky you! :D

... as for the money altar, I suppose this is where I will be working on steady work and money drawings and boss fix. Now, my question on this, do I need to make two money altars one for me and my husband or I can just have one for us?

I think it would be incredibly shiny if you could do both: a central lodestone array in the middle with things to bless your husband's projects on one side and your projects on the other: mojos, arrays of curios, treasuremaps or pictures of your workplaces or dream jobs, etc.

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
For a reasonably priced, honest psychic reading RIGHT NOW, call HOODOO PSYCHICS at
1-888-4-HOODOO

http://forum.luckymojo.com/hoodoopsychics-com-instant-readings-from-members-of-airr-t16224.html
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Rookie2conjure » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks Miss Michaele :)
Rookie2conjure

Unread postby aura » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi Rookie2conjure,

you'll also find lots of useful information in the Forum thread on Altars that I'm merging this into!

Blessings.
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Rookie2conjure » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks Aura :-)
Rookie2conjure

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:48 am

Thank you Miss Cat for the "why and what to do" on page 5 of this thread and here in Usenet:
http://www.luckymojo.com/spells/practicaltips.html
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Building an altar for my new business

Unread postby goldentouch97 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:08 pm

I want to know which type of altar I can build for a business like a restaurant,club, or bar to have peace and tranquility, draw good money, and keep away all types of problems. Which saint can I work with ?
Last edited by Mama Micki on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spelling, clarity
goldentouch97

Re: Building an altar for my new business

Unread postby Mama Micki » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Prosperity products are for business success, and boldo is used to keep bad customers away. Peace Water and/or Tranquility incense or powder could be used to ensure a peaceful atmosphere.

St. Martin Cabarello (St. Martin de Tours) is traditionally petitioned by Latin American Catholics for business success.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Caedryn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:16 pm

I am new to petitioning Saints. Each saint is a patron of something, such as St. Anthony for lost things, St. Expedite to get quick results (esp. with financial concerns).

When a petition to a saint is successful, but you now need/want to petition another saint for something else, what might be recommended to do with the picture/statue of the other saints on the altar, but who are not being directly petitioned?

Would you place them to the back, put them elsewhere other than on the altar?

I am thinking that even if they are not a patron of the same thing as the saint you are petitioning at the time, they may still have some input or help, and so perhaps it might be best to leave them on the altar, but maybe to the side of back?

Any experience/recommendations regarding this?

Also, in-between workings, can you light just one candle (white) when thanking the saints you worked with, or would separate candles for each saint be more appropriate?

Thanks!
Caedryn

Unread postby Tristan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey Caedryn,

It's been said before, but it's worth mentioning again, that working with saints is not a common practice in Hoodoo. The majority of rootworkers are Protestant, which explains why the veneration of saints is not a common feature. Online, working with saints in the context of Hoodoo is disproportionately represented. Oftentimes the "working" relationship with saints is given more attention than the devotional relationship with a saint, often removing them from their Catholic or Orthodox cultural contexts.

See also these posts:
altars-questions-and-answers-t124s270.html#p83541
newbie-question-about-working-with-saints-t450s0.html#p322
questions-about-candles-for-saints--t5810s150.html#p33374
hello-help-with-casting-and-creating-your-own-spell-t7190s120.html#p41366

This is of course not to say that non-Catholics cannot petition the saints: anyone can. However, one should expect (as Miss Cat mentions in one of the above posts) that a non-Catholic would have a deep appreciation and respect for the Roman Catholic (or Orthodox) Church and be willing to learn about the veneration of saints from someone of that culture. As an aside, I'm not singling you out Caedryn; you may be Catholic for all I know. I'm just writing for everyone's benefit.

Since you are new to petitioning saints, I encourage you to familiarize yourself with the role that saints play in the Catholic Church, particularly the doctrine of the intercession of saints. Take advantage of the wealth of information about the saints available online: the Catholic Encyclopedia and Butler's Lives of Saints are both great places to start. Speak to Catholics about how the saints have impacted their lives; many Catholics have an interesting family story there! :)

Understand that petitioning the saints is one part of the larger Catholic folk magic tradition. Learn from Catholic folk magic practitioners about the use of priestly blessings, sacramentals like holy water, traditional litanies and novenas, the use of different prayers like the Rosary, etc. That's really the best way to learn about and work within a certain tradition: from the people who are a part of that tradition.

The reason I'm saying all of this is because working with the saints has increasingly taken on a "gum ball machine" approach. Have a problem? Petition such-and-such saint, get what you want and move on. Again, I'm not suggesting you would this, but it is all too often the case. So familiarize yourself with the Catholic tradition. If you find that you are unable to work within that tradition, then perhaps working with the saints is something not suited for you.

Now to get to your questions.

Most saints are fine sharing the same space on an altar. If I'm not actively working with a saint on my altar, I just leave them where they are. To me, an altar for the saints is not just a place where I perform magic, but it is also a devotional space where I engage in spiritual practice. Depending on your altar space, you may be able to undertake the work or "spell" directly in front of that saint's statue or icon while still having enough room for other saints. If not, adapt to your space needs.

There are sometimes exceptions. As a personal example, Santisima Muerte and the Archangel Michael each have their own dedicated spaces. This is because I believe them each to be such powerful and holy spiritual beings that they deserve their own spaces for honouring them.

If you decide that your relationship with a particular saint has run it's course, the traditional and respectful way to pass on their statues/icons/prayer cards/etc is to take them to a Catholic church and leave them tucked under the pew or in a corner of the church. There is separate protocol to be followed if the item was a sacramental to prevent desecration.

Finally, in between workings, I love to light a single white candle dressed with Lucky Mojo All Saints oil, as an offering to all the saints I have a relationship with.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, Caedryn. My intention is not to sound "dogmatic" as it were, or like I'm policing how people work with saints. I sincerely hope you, and anyone else new to the saints find it useful.

Tristan
Tristan

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Tristan, thanks for that thoughtful and helpful response.

You mentioned the interesting fact that Catholic would-be-hoodoo practitioners are disproportionately represented online. I agree. I think what we are seeing is White Catholic interest in African American hoodoo plus Latino Catholic interest in African American hoodoo doubling up and tending to make it appear that Protestant hoodoo has a Catholic background -- which it does not.

I look forward to the day that someone with a deep, honest, respectful, inquisitive, historical, orderly, persistent, and educational turn of mind starts a site devoted to Catholic folk magic, so that Catholic folks will have someplace else to go, instead of always coming here and trying, by sheer weight of numbers, to turn Baptist hoodoo into a Catholic tradition.

Here, courtesy of the First Baptist Church of Mt. Gilead, Ohio, is a picture of a typical Baptist church altar, on which the Bible occupies the position of honour.

catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Caedryn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Tristan. Thank you for the reply. It helped.

Before I begin anything, I research it as much as I can, based on what is available to me. I posted here, because, although I found much, I did not find the material I was looking for. You supplied it, so I came to the right place :).

One thing about me, is I don't use people, and that includes Saints. I expect to have a relationship with them beyond just "needs".

People mix all kinds of deities. You see it on this site - RC/Protestant Saints, Hindu Gods/Goddesses, Chinese good luck creatures, etc. all on the same altar. In other words, it would seem many people work with what they are drawn to, without getting overly involved in the specific religion or working 'precisely' according the tradition/religion, unless they want it. Another way of saying what I mean, is that a person does not have to 'convert' to that tradition/religion in order to work/have a relationship with the deities of that particular system. My belief, is that Saints would want to help a person, regardless of religious denomination, if they are sincere, genuine, and work within what the Saint would be willing to do, such as St. Dymphna compared to St. Cyprian.

Also, I think someone can work with a Saint, even though they are not RC or Protestant, but are petitioning the Saint for someone who 'is' of that religion/tradition. But, that is just my opinion, but it has worked for me and a person I did a working for.
Caedryn

Unread postby Tristan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Cat -

You’re very welcome. I too look forward to the day when there is a proper place for Catholic folk-magic. At present, I think the Lucky Mojo Curio Company and the forum are simply the best places for discussion and information on folk magic in general. That’s why we get everybody. :D

I think your assessment on the misrepresentation of Catholic influence in Hoodoo is spot on. However, I am personally unsure of how many of these people are actually even Catholic or have learned from Catholic folk-magic practitioners. Who knows?

Caedryn -

I’m glad my post was helpful to you. You certainly seem like someone with a level-head on your shoulders and I think you have shown knowledge and respect.

I think we can agree that the question is not one of belief. Maintaining orthodox religious belief is a private matter, and one which we respectfully don’t discuss in the forum. A person certainly does not need to convert to Catholicism in order to have a respectful and beneficial relationship with the saints.

So the question is not, “Who can work with the saints?” or “Must I be Catholic to petition the saints?” Rather, I think it’s “How can one work with the saints in a way that respects the culture, tradition, and religion that they come from?” In a nutshell, it’s not about the Catholic faith and conforming to it: it’s about Catholic folk-magic and understanding that it is inseparable from Catholicism.

That you say you expect to have a relationship with the saints beyond your needs is certainly very commendable. Unfortunately though, it’s not something you see very often in practice. People get out their prayer card of St Expedite when they’re short on cash, and once he’s come through, his prayer card goes back in the sock drawer. It saddens me, really.

As far as mixing deities and saints from different faiths, I think it’s a private decision. But one would hope, for example, that a Hindu deity would be honoured with a puja out of respect just as a Catholic saint would be honoured with an Our Father and three Hail Marys. :D

That, at least, is my humble opinion.

Tristan
Tristan

Unread postby Caedryn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 am

Yes, I agree. Then there are different folk catholic practices, depending on country.
Caedryn

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:07 pm

This thread continues to be a source of great conversation and advice. Thanks to all the recent posters and insight.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 pm

On a purely academic note, the sudden influx of interest in Catholic saints results really from a variety of things in my opinion.

1. An influx of Catholic and/or Latin American practitioners coming to hoodoo. These individuals are adopting hoodoo practices with their own religious beliefs.

2. Neopagan practitioners new to hoodoo. These folks often find the intercession of saints more comfortable than the Protestant Christianity of hoodoo which calls upon God directly.

All made possible via the internet.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

What's too much/What's too little...

Unread postby PrincessDrRe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:59 pm

...on an alter? I want to do my alter so that it is pleasing to GOD and the spirits...but I don't want to either overdo it or under do it.

Thoughts? What should I concentrate on? How much is too much or too little?
PrincessDrRe

Re: What's too much/What's too little...

Unread postby thatgirl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Altars are sometimes best made over time. You might start a little space that's little more than a glass, incense holder, candle holder, and bible. There's no rule about how much should or shouldn't be on there so long as you keep your space clean and sacred. There's no need to go out an buy tons of things for it so that it looks or seems more like an altar space (unless you're working with specific spirits who have requested specific things). If something jumps out at you as being appropriate for your altar then get it. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The only practical suggestion I can make is to have things like a candle snuffer and box of baking soda (in case of fire), and any other tools or oils that you might use for it near by. One of mine is an old table with a handy drawer, for instance. This way, for aesthetic reasons, I don't have to have lots of things on the top or far off in a different room. Working altars, on the other hand, I'm not as picky about as they're out of plain view. They should still be fairly clean, but I don't mind bottles of oil or other tools on those so long as they don't interfere with the setups.

Good luck!
thatgirl

How important is an alter?

Unread postby green5 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 pm

When performimg candle spells, honey jars spells etc. Do I need a special room or can I use a closet to do my work? How big should my alter be? I have a big family and is temporarily living in an apartment, but I need to do work so that I can balance my home and family, a couple of life changing events are occuring. I do have my bedroom and a closet to work in so that my work is not disturded. How can I do this in order to get good results without interuption.
green5

Unread postby Mama Micki » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:16 pm

green5, do the best you can. You can store your honey jar in a closet if necessary. Take it out to burn the candles. The four inch candles that are normally used with a honey jar burn in a about two hours.

If you want to set up a more permanent altar, a small dresser or nightstand will do. It does not have to be elaborate or large. A candle holder, an incense burner, and some type of spiritual image, such as a picture or small statue, will get you started.
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby green5 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks Mama Miki, I think that I would want to create a permanent alter. I have had this spriitual calling for years, so now I have more time and can financially indulge in my spiritual education and practices fully I will create my ritual alter. I am so glad that I can look to Lucky Mojo Forum for advice, you guys are really helpful. Thanks again.
green5

Separate altars?

Unread postby stargirl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 am

I often read how people have set up an altar for St. Expedite, or an angel altar. Is it better to have separate areas , ie. a money altar, one for saints, one for my career , one for healing, for it to be more effective?

I have an altar with different tiers, and I separate my areas like that. I am wondering what is the best way to get the best results.
stargirl

Re: Separate altars?

Unread postby jwmcclin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:27 am

Saint Expedite is one that wants his own altar. As for your other questions, workers do different things...some do positive/negative altars. Read through this discussion on altars altars-questions-and-answers-t124.html
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Money Altar?

Unread postby TheBeard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Would I be going outside of hoodoo tradition by having more than one hotei buddha on a money altar? I just recieved the mexican pregnant with cross of caravacca buddha (which is amazing) and I now have 3 hotei on my very small money altar.

It may sound silly but I started thinking if I have more than one do I need to give all 3 of them attention by asking them each for prosperity and rubbing each of their bellies? I'm almost embarrassed to ask such silly questions but I'd rather know and be doing it right.
TheBeard

Re: Money Altar?

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:33 am

These are questions that only you can answer for yourself. I would personally attend to each "statue" individually because that is what I do. My altars are one whole "entity" but each piece on the altar is important and tended to. You may feel and work differently then I do...many have their own way of doing this. Pick a path and see what works. Hoodoo tradition is varied. The hotei buddha are not included in Traditional Hoodoo (important capitol letters) but used by many who practice hoodoo. Do what works for you and you can't go wrong.
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Re: Separate altars?

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:37 am

stargirl wrote:I often read how people have set up an altar for St. Expedite, or an angel altar. Is it better to have separate areas , ie. a money altar, one for saints, one for my career , one for healing, for it to be more effective?

I have an altar with different tiers, and I separate my areas like that. I am wondering what is the best way to get the best results.

I have seen as many different altar set-ups as I have seen practitioners. Everyone's will be different and personal to the person who made them up. I, personally, give each specific entity their own altar space, completely separate from the condition altars I have set up.
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby TheBeard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:50 am

Thank you Joseph. I feel better knowing that while it may not be traditional to work with Hotei, it seems accepted to some extent. I'll have to think on this a bit as far as what I will do with all of these hotei buddhas as I have just recieved a beautiful fourth hotei as a gift lol.
TheBeard

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:05 am

The system of magic that I use the most, follow, research, am concerned with the most, and get the most results from is hoodoo...however I also have Lord Ganesha in my life, Santisima Muerte, etc AND use non-traditional workings, objects, and ingredients. What counts is that I am well aware of what is Traditional and what is not and I do not try to force one category to take over the other.
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Papa Newt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:07 am

I personally see Hotei in a category of spirits that are non-local, spirits that are not restricted to one place or object. I have more than one statue of Hotei and I do not attend to every single one, though I do eventually do something special for ones I haven't attended to as much. Never had a problem or issue with this method. :)
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!
Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:09 am

TheBeard: I just realized that the most informative hoodoo-centric altar conversation ever is happening as we speak, right here in this thread:

altars-questions-and-answers-t124s120.html

Read it over and you will be inspired and further informed.
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby TheBeard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:15 am

Thank you Joseph and Papa Newt. I appreciate your helpful feedback.
TheBeard

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:17 am

You are most welcome. Good questions!
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Papa Newt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:31 am

You are most welcome. Best of luck to you. :-)
Thank you, St. Expedite!
Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Mechii » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Greetings,

Keeping this short and sweet. I have been using a portion of my bureau in my bedroom and dedicated this part specifically for a Saint.

I physically clean the section off every few days with florida water. Now, my question is, because I really have no other place to give offerings and light candles and what not, would this be considered disrespectful? I mean, I still have my own stuff on the bureau (hair products, perfumes, jewelry, etc).

I dont have a much, just a plate that i light candles on daily while I talk to her, a crystal bowl with petitions under (for the 9 tuesdays) and her prayer card and her water.

Your thoughts?
Mechii

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Mechii,

Have you read this thread from start to finish?

If so, you have your answer already.

It is very common among African American hoodoo rootworkers and spiritual practitioners of a churchly sort to keep altar work on a nightstand, vanity table, dressing table, bureau, chest of drawers, or chiffarobe. In particular, on PAGE 9 OF THIS THREAD you will see (or would have seen, if you had read the thread) some photos that would have answered your question quite explicitly.

Here is yet another picture of Ella May Watson's altar on her vanity table, taken by Gordon Parks. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then look at this picture, go back to PAGE 9 OF THIS THREAD and you will multiple thousands of words.

1) Ella May Watson, with her adopted daughter (in mirror reflection) and three grandchildren, Washington DC, 1942. This vanity is not being used as an altar and is probably in the room of her adopted daughter. Photo by Gordon Parks.

2) Close-up of Ella May Watson's vanity table, with her grandchildren reflected in the mirror and her altar of saints, an open Bible, and a lucky trunk-up elephant on display in her bedroom, Washington DC, 1942. Ntice that the latar layout is different in this photo than in the one one page 9 of this thread. This was a WORKING altar and she moved candles and statuary around to serve her purposes. Photo by Gordon Parks.

By the way, Ella May Watson was not a Roman Catholic. She was a member of a Saint Martin's Spiritual Church -- that is, she was a Spiritualist.

3. Here is a picture of the church she attended, Saint Martin's Spiritual Church, also photographed by Gordon Parks in Washington DC in 1942:

The Saint Martin in the name of this Spiritual Church is Saint Martin de Porres, the first Black man made a saint by the Catholic church. His statue is the fourth one from the left on Ella May Watson's dresser table altar.

Saint Martin's Spiritual Church was part of the Spiritual Church Movement, a loose confederation of Judeo-Christian and primarily Black Spiritualist churches organized into denominations such as the Colored Spiritualist Association of Churches, Metropolitan Spiritual Churches of Christ, and Universal Hagar's Spiritual Churches.

Here is more information on the religion of Spiritualism, especially as it is connected to the practice of hoodoo and other forms of folk magic and folk religion:

http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... _Tradition
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Mama Micki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you Miss Cat for posting these wonderful pictures.
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Can't have an alter for St. Martha- options?

Unread postby prvteye123 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi everyone, I live with my parents and unfortunately I don't have much privacy even in my own room. So I wanted to pray to St. Martha for 9 Tuesdays and light candle and offer a bowl of water (from our filter not tap) but I can't have a permanent alter.

Would it be ok if I placed a white towel on my vacuumed carpet, print St. Martha's photo and place on it, light a candle on a white bowl as well as offer water in white bowl every Tuesday?

I would have to uneasemble this after my prayer so mom can't see them the next day.

Would this offend St. Martha?

If I can do so, where do I put the offered water for that Tuesday?

I'd use the same photo every Tuesday, right?!

Thanks
prvteye123

Unread postby aura » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:20 am

Hi prvteye123,

Temporary altar spaces like the one you are describing are often used for more discreet work. When work needs to be hidden, sometimes working in a closet on the top shelf can be an alternative as well (care-ful about the fire hazard there though). If you want to be sure the Saint is OK with this arrangement, you can always do a quick pendulum divination on the matter.

Details to consider however: see about finding a nice scarf or handkerchief rather than a towel if at all possible.

What to do with the water and offerings is discussed in the following thread which has lots of advice on how to work with Saints: deities,-angels,-spirits,-saints-questions-about-techniques-t450.html

And yes, you would use the same photo or prayer card every Tuesday :)
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:56 am

The following three paragraphs were posted in another thread related to a specific saint, but i would like to bring them forward into this topic on altars in general -- because altars are often (not always) used in a religious context, and there are many people who post here wishing to learn the ways of cultures in which they were not raised:

1) With respect to disposing of foods left on the altar, you should familiarize yourself a bit with altar work in general, as many of these customs are more or less the same from one religious culture to another.

2) With respect to changing candle colours utilized in honour of a particular spirit, saint, or deity, i think that until you become wise in a tradition, you should follow either a teacher or the opinion of mature people who were raised in the tradition. Do NOT try to get a random "vote on the internet" when it comes to learning a religious tradition that is new to you.

3) With respect to deciding to substitute one oil, herb, or bath for another, i would suggest that while it is not wrong to work also with your own inner vision and sight, if you are joining an extant and living tradition, you should always ask for personal instruction from a stable, mature person in the tradition whose reputation is good and who has been in the tradition for a long time. Do not let either your eagerness to serve or your prideful egoism lead you into opposition to or isolation from the very tradition you are seeking to embrace.

Here, courtesy of Dr. E. the Associaition of Independent Readers and Rootworkers (AIRR), is a picture of a home altar dedicated to the Saneria Lukumi orisha Obatala, with food offerings. Only someone initiated in this tradition would be qualified to create and worship at such an altar:

catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: Altar Set Up and Affect on Spellwork

Unread postby newbie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:56 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:Another way to set up altars -- and limit them to two -- is to divide your spells into two basic types, those of increase and help and those of decrease and removal. If you do that, you can work all spells of increase at an altar that faces East ("As the Sun rises, bring to me xxxxx") and all spells of decrease at an altar that faces West ("As the Sun sets, remove xxxxx from me"). The two altars can be on two sides of the same room.

Can you clarify this please?

I face east when i'm sitting before the altar or the altar faces east?

Thanks much.

Unread postby Papa Newt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Altars are facing the directions (east for increase, west for decrease) and while working the altar you are facing in that same direction as well.
Thank you, St. Expedite!
Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread postby prvteye123 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:17 pm

Thank you very very much Aura. Appreciate your help :)
prvteye123

Setting up a working altar.

Unread postby Sweetgrass Moon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm

I know this question might be a little base, but here goes.

I'm preparing to set up a working altar for our home. Actually, I'm setting up two - one is more or less for prosperity and the other to venerate and work with my ancestors.

Before anything goes on the altar, is there a special way of blessing it and dedicating it to its purpose?

I've read about using condition oils to dress it in the four corners and such, but if some of you seasoned practitioners could share your ways with me that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sweetgrass Moon

Unread postby Papa Newt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi Sweetgrass Moon. I've moved your post to an ongoing thread about the topic of Altars. Be sure to read through the previous pages for you are sure to find some great insight.
Thank you, St. Expedite!
Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Sweetgrass Moon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks Papa Newt, I didn't see this section before!
Sweetgrass Moon

Setting Up my Altar but...

Unread postby duckturnrot » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 pm

So I want to set up an altar but I've run into some problems. I was looking into taboos and the best way to set up an altar and the way my "room" is set up violates a lot of alter beliefs I have and I do not have accessibility to a variety of items that I would commonly put in an altar.

My situation is that I live in army barracks and we are not allowed to have anything that heats up in our rooms, such as microwaves, ovens etc., so I can not get incense or candles, anything like that which one of the largest parts of my previous altar. I have a lot of imagery, though. I also can not have any "weapon" like items and the shop here is very small so there is not much to choose from.

My altar will have to lie above my study area as I share a room and that is the only free area I have left. The corners are sharp and high and it is across from the toilette. Which apparently is just a no no. Lol. It's also not in the appropriate direction of the room but it's all I have to work with.

I need some Ideas on what to purchase for my room and ideas on how to set up my altar in accordance to elements blah blah. So far I have mirrors, plants, bowls and if there is an assortment of stones in the stores here some stones. The ones particular to my deity are unavailable so I was wondering What kind of plants and stones would I need to purchase for common elements and feng shui for each corner of the altar and any other altar item ideas.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Last edited by Doctor Hob on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
duckturnrot

Re: Setting Up my Altar but...

Unread postby Doctor Hob » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:18 pm

First and foremost, the word, in this context, is "altar", not "alter". I corrected the spelling in your post, as that is a peeve of mine.

Next, from the language you're using, I take it your methodology is set in some form of neo-paganism. That's swell, but this forum is about hoodoo, which is an African-American tradition of folk magic, with strong roots in Protestant Christianity. A good many hoodoo practitioners employ altars. Many maintain altars to their ancestors, and to saints, or divinities to which they are acquainted. Many professional workers keep multiple working altars, for assorted types of jobs.

In my experience (and personal practice), these altars don't have the strict requirements you seem to feel that you have to adhere to. There's nothing wrong with those requirements, if they suit your practice, but this may not be the correct place to find information on those types of altars.

On a practical level, maintaing a formal altar in an Army barracks is likely an exercise that will bring you little besides frustration. You can surround your personal space with such items as bring you devotional comfort, but some type of portable altar would probably be more useful than a large, free-standing one. I've seen devotional altars built inside cigar boxes, that were both beautiful and functional. At that size, you could not only bypass the space issue, but you could throw it in your pack, and hump it along with the rest of your kit, when you're on the move. You can include substitutes for items that you either can't find, or aren't permitted to have.

Much good magic has been carried out with a pencil for a wand.

When you have your own space, build the altar you want. Until then, get by with the altar you need.
Two-Headed Doctor
HRCC Graduate #1764G
Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Mama Micki » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Most hoodoo practitioners have altars if they can, but one can also use things like mojos, oils, powders, and baths, which do not require an altar. If you can't burn candles or incense, just set up a place with spiritual pictures, statues, and other things that are meaningful to you.
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Having an Altar in your bedroom

Unread postby Caulbearer » Tue May 07, 2013 1:56 am

Good morning all

I live with three others in a house and have my altars set up in my bedroom. I have four different ones set up as I do not have the privilege to set them all around the house!
Someone told me this was a really bad idea. Is this true? Is having an altar or several for different purposes in your bedroom a bad idea?
I just really need to confirm this as I do work every day and need to be sure.

Sorry if this is a repeated question so please feel free to share links with me if there are any : )
Many thanks

THANK YOU St Martha the Dominator, St Anthony, St Michael, St Raphael and St Gabriel
Love & Blessing
Thanks to all saints who have helped me connect to the Divine <3
Caulbearer

Re: Having an Altar in your bedroom

Unread postby Psychic Mimi » Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 am

Howdy!

If altar placement is an issue, perhaps a portable altar would work as an alternative to leaving a permanent altar somewhere that it might be disturbed. Just a suggestion.

Your question has been merged into the long thread on altars.

Hope it helps!
Psychic Mimi

Unread postby Caulbearer » Tue May 07, 2013 4:42 am

thank you soooo much, Mimi
it answered my question and more ;)

Blessed be St. Martha the Dominator <3
Love & Blessing
Caulbearer

Unread postby Mama Micki » Tue May 07, 2013 5:33 am

Many people, including myself, have bedroom altars. I don't know who this "someone" is that criticized this practice, but you would probably benefit from asking experienced practitioners about these matters.
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby MissMichaele » Tue May 07, 2013 8:45 am

For generations, hoodoo was practiced by people who essentially lived in one room. I would say it depends on you and your perceptions of energy. If the work of the spirits is keeping you awake at night, then there's a problem. But it sounds like that's not the case, if you didn't "know" it was a "bad idea" until someone said so.

Many of the oldest spells don't involve altar work, anyway: loading sugar bowls, fixing people's food and grooming supplies, wearing a mojo bag.

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
For a reasonably priced, honest psychic reading RIGHT NOW, call HOODOO PSYCHICS at
1-888-4-HOODOO

http://forum.luckymojo.com/hoodoopsychics-com-instant-readings-from-members-of-airr-t16224.html
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Caulbearer » Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 am

I actually have no problems having them in my own room and will continue to do so!
Thank you very much ladies =)
Love & Blessing
Caulbearer

PreviousNext

• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics