Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Another newbie from TN

Sherry Lynn
Another newbie from TN

Unread post by Sherry Lynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:22 am

Hello everyone! I have been listening to the Lucky Mojo Podcast for a few months now, & am really enjoying it. Although I grew up in the South (VA), all of this is new to me.

I have a life-long love of plants & herbs, & dearly wish I had been able to follow a Granny around while I was young, & learn to identify plants & all their properties.

I am now in TN, & see there are few more Tennesseans on the board. <waves>

Thank you to Miss Cat for providing this community, and the astounding amount of information on her website!

(Now if I can figure out how to get an avatar on here...so far my attempts have not been successful).

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Another newbie from TN

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:23 am

Hello and welcome. There is a thread on avatars in the Forum Tech Help section. I hope it helps. If not, maybe someone will kindly PM you and walk you through the process.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Sherry Lynn

Unread post by Sherry Lynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 am

Thank you for the welcome! I am looking forward to being part of the community here. Yes, I found the thread with the avatar help, in another newbie's post. I will eventually figure it out. :)

I do not have your book yet...I am waiting til I can afford the hardback version. I think it would hold up better, and be easier to study with, as it would lay flat. I DID find a book "The Magical Power of the Saints" by Rev. Ray Malbrough. I grew up Baptist, have no knowledge of the Saints, (except Saint Francis of Assisi, which I see his feast day is 2 days from my birthday, so that must mean something!).

What else about me? I love animals (especially dogs), gardening, books of all kinds but especially natural healing, have taken Reiki 1 & 2, attend a homeopathy study group, have just started a tarot study group, love to go to Native American pow wows, which feels like a spiritual experience for me. I feel the most "home" when I am in the Cherokee/Asheville, N.C. areas...something about that area calls to me. My husband & I are in the middle of a long project of building our own home...all the way from cutting our own lumber on a sawmill to the finished (one day!) product. So it is probably not a good time for me to make a commitment to your course right now...I want to do some reading on my own, and to eventually work up to that, if I feel called to do so.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:45 am

Miss Lily --

90% of conjure practitioners are Baptist or were raised Baptist, which means that Malbrough's book on the Catholic Saints -- while very interesting and worthwhile, and quite popular with Catholic folk-magical practitioners, both within the hoodoo community and in other cultural communities where Catholicism is more common, such as Mexican brujeria -- is absolutely NON-essential to the practice of hoodoo!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:49 am

Welcome Miss Lily!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 am

Welcome Miss Lily!!! Here is a link to the "avatar" help for you:
The link should be helpful :)
Looking forward to seeing you today!!!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

Sherry Lynn

Unread post by Sherry Lynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 am

catherineyronwode wrote:90% of conjure practitioners are Baptist or were raised Baptist, which means that Malbrough's book on the Catholic Saints -- while very interesting and worthwhile, and quite popular with Catholic folk-magical practitioners, both within the hoodoo community and in other cultural communities where Catholicism is more common, such as Mexican brujeria -- is absolutely NON-essential to the practice of hoodoo!
I'm glad to know it is non-essential..but I have heard different Saints referred to so much on your podcast, and knew NOTHING on who they were, I thought this would be a good introduction to them. I love to learn about other cultures and their beliefs...I find there is wisdom in all of them that is valuable, once people get past all the labels we put on everything. (Us vs. Them, etc).

My ancestors were mostly Scotch-Irish with some Cherokee a few generations back...watered down by now, but I am very proud of it, & sad for the parts of our history & practices we have lost.

Thank you Mama Micki for the welcome! And thanks Miss Tammie Lee for the link...I feel I know you from listening for hours to you on the podcast, introducing everyone! :D

Sherry Lynn

Unread post by Sherry Lynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:31 am

Okay, I finally got my avatar up, with resizing help from http://imageshack.us/, and storing it on Photobucket. (whew!)

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Hello Miss Lily and welcome to the forums! I'm very glad that you have gotten your avatar problem fixed! Nice job!
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Sherry Lynn

Unread post by Sherry Lynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you for the welcome, Joseph! I'm glad to be here.

autumnalflower

Unread post by autumnalflower » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:39 am

I'm from Tennessee too! I have learned a lot about the catholic saints, I myself grew up in the christian(disciples of Christ) church and am now methodist, I knew nothing of the saints either, but I have enjoyed learning about them.

Sherry Lynn

Unread post by Sherry Lynn » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:39 pm

autumnalflower wrote:I'm from Tennessee too! I have learned a lot about the catholic saints, I myself grew up in the christian(disciples of Christ) church and am now methodist, I knew nothing of the saints either, but I have enjoyed learning about them.
Hi!! It's nice to meet you!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Miss Lilly
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

autumnalflower

Unread post by autumnalflower » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:40 am

Thanks Lily, nice to meet you too, and I hope you get a lot out of learning about the saints too. I think the only ones I had heard about where the St joseph for selling a home and St Cristopher for travel because I"ve seen some soldiers/spouses wear it while one is overseas..but nothing more than that.

kittymojo

Unread post by kittymojo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:20 am

Welcome Miss Lily. I also live in Tn. I grew up in South West Va. Just South of Roanoke. This is a wonderful forum, you will enjoy all the empowering knowledge. =^^=

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:48 pm

What great Forum Welcomes!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

Sherry Lynn

Unread post by Sherry Lynn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:51 pm

kittymojo wrote:Welcome Miss Lily. I also live in Tn. I grew up in South West Va. Just South of Roanoke. This is a wonderful forum, you will enjoy all the empowering knowledge. =^^=
What a coincidence, Kittymojo! I live in Tn, and also grew up in Va, although in the S.E. corner... ;)

Jinglepop

Unread post by Jinglepop » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Welcome aboard the hoodoo express Miss Lily! (That there's a damn nice avatar.)

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “2011 Public Forum Introductions”