Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Basic Understanding of Traditional African American Hoodoo

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:08 pm

These are links to general information on Hoodoo. Read these to obtain some basic knowledge of African American folk magic.

Hoodoo History:
http://luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

Hoodoo and Religion:
http://luckymojo.com/hoodooandreligion.html

Is Magic Real? Does Magic Really Work?
http://www.luckymojo.com/spells/real.html

How to Use Anointing Oils:
http://luckymojo.com/oils.html

How to Use Baths:
http://luckymojo.com/baths.html

How to Use Sachet Powders:
http://luckymojo.com/powders.html

How to Use Incense:
http://luckymojo.com/incense.html

How to Use Candles:
http://luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html

How to Use Herbs and Roots:
http://herb-magic.com

Conditions and Situations, and how we can address them:
http://luckymojo.com/hoodooataglance.html

Here is some info on how the Lucky Mojo Forum is set up.

The Forum is divided into four parts:

1) News and Announcements about the Lucky Mojo Curio Company and this site.

2) Lucky Mojo Spiritual Supplies and how to use them, listed in threads by product type and product title.

3) Life Conditions and Situations, with recommended Lucky Mojo products, spells, and advice.

4) The Online Hoodoo Community, including sites, events, and outreach sponsored by Lucky Mojo.

When you post, it helps your moderators, who are recompensed volunteers, if you post in the area of the board that is best suited to the archival of your question or comment. That way moderators will not have to move your post or merge it into ongoing threads.

If you can't find a post you made, it may have been moved or merged. Go to your profile by clicking on your name and "search recent posts" -- you will find it.

Within each board section there are STICKY threads -- ones that always stay "stuck" to the top. These are popular discussion-threads that you can read and add to if your questions or comments fall into one of these oft-broached topics. If you don't see a "sticky" that relates to your question, feel free to start a new thread in the relevant section.

We do have a few "thou shalt not" rules here, and they can be found in the Forum Rules link at the top of each page. Most important for newbies are these four common errors to avoid:

1) Please do not come here asking for our formulas for conjure oils or for instructions on how to use spiritual supplies that you bought at a grocery store or at a competitor of ours; this is the Lucky Mojo Forum and is financially supported by the Lucky Mojo Curio Co.

2) Please do not spam the moderators by sending multiple duplicated private messages asking for personal help outside the board; many of our moderators do perform readings and rootwork spell-casting for clients, but they are professionals and you should approach them as you would any other professional.

3) Please do not post illegal copies of material from other web sites or from books.

4) Please do not post put-downs of any group of people based on their religion, race, or national origin, including derogatory comments about religions to which you may have previously been an adherent or comments in which you seek to falsely conflate any religion with the practice of evil sorcery.
catherine yronwode

bubba

Unread post by bubba » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Sometimes a Practitioner or healer may tell of u of a honey jar, or evil jar, or magic done against u which maybe buried or in such a place which u cant get to.

In that case what would one do to destroy the effects of this 'unreachable' item which is sending u harm. Would that mean that as long as that harmful item remains thus even if u cleanse and protect that still u will get negative effects from it?

I have heard of magic being buried in trees and Graveyards against people. Unless you're spiritually fifted to be able to see where the items are, how could u destroy its effects permanantly if u cant get to it?

Thank u.

Sophy

Mac

Re: Destroying Magic Which You Can't Locate

Unread post by Mac » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi Bubba / Sophy,

As I understand it, when the source of a jinx can’t be found, the afflicted person first performs a series of cleansing spiritual baths. Then the person does an uncrossing spell, or has someone else perform an uncrossing on his or her behalf. (Some people prefer to do a reversing spell here instead.) Finally, the person makes or acquires a protection mojo that can be carried with him or her to ward off future problems.

More information about uncrossing baths and spells can be found at http://www.luckymojo.com/uncrossing.html, and the last paragraph before the “Spiritual Baths” section deals specifically with cases where the source of the problem can’t be located. There is a range of protective items that might go into a mojo bag; http://www.luckymojo.com/protectionspells.html is a good place to start reading about that topic in general.

Please note that I am fairly new to hoodoo myself, so you may want to get confirmation from another practitioner about this process.

Mac

Literarylioness

Re: Destroying Magic Which You Can't Locate

Unread post by Literarylioness » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Well, I would get a reading to find out who has crossed me. Finding the person, or persons who has crossed you is as good as finding the items. Once you find out who is against you, you can protect yourself and act accordingly. If you don't know who has cursed you, you are working in the dark so to speak.

As far as objects are concerned, it really depends on how one is cursed. There are generational curses and that does take a lot of work to overcome, but those are rare. Most people curse others due to something personal.

I got to be honest, most of the people I have encountered, who were cursed, deserved the curse he or she got. If you steal someone's husband, wife, property, ideas, or what not, you run the risk of being cursed. Now I have been cursed for some pretty stupid things and fighting those curses were actually pretty easy. I just sent everything back on the person who cursed me.

The objects buried are not as important as who has done the cursing and why.

Mary

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Destoying Magic Which You Can't Locate

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Just a side-note to this discussion:

Bubba asked about "a honey jar, or evil jar, or magic done against u" -- but a honey jar will never be evil or harmful or done "against" anyone, so don't worry about those. Honey Jar spells are employed to make people sweet, likeable, and loved. You can read more about Honey Jars on this page from "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice":

http://luckymojo.com/honeyjar.html

Perhaps what was meant was a leaking or upside down Bottle Spell. Those definitely can be used for enemy work. You can see an example of a leaking bottle on the "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" web page on Bottle Spells. It is here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/bottlespells.html

As for evil spell work that is buried, i agree with Mary that a divination should be performed first, and i also agree with both Mary and Mac that if the divination indicates that such work has been done, you next proceed to Uncrossing spells and/or Protection work, including the use of a protective talisman of some sort. The next stage, if relief is still not found, or if the divination indicates it from the get-go, is to do a Reversing spell, to send the work back to the one who sent it.

Old, buried tricks are sometimes difficult to dislodge and undo, but they are not impossible to be rid of, generally speaking. Of course, we all know a few horror stories about some such old, buried curse that kept coming back ... i'll admit to knowing a few such tales myself ... but with firm intentions and strong work, they can be reversed, which is pretty much the only way to take them off if simple uncrossing and protection do not prove to be strong enough. In such cases, one would almost invariably have to hire a professional root doctor to help. This sort of work would not likely be performed for oneself.
catherine yronwode

kevin9

Weather and spells/readings

Unread post by kevin9 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Okay, I've searched this, and I don't ever remember reading anything about this anywhere. A friend of mine who's a curandera says that they don't do spells, limpias, or readings if it's stormy or raining. I'm part Choctaw, and in the old days, Choctaws wouldn't have important meetings or make important decisions if it were raining or even just completely cloudy and overcast. Does anyone know if this is the case in hoodoo? I don't remember hearing about it anywhere. The other night there was a storm and I was itching to do some conjure, but then I began to wonder if I should or not. :roll: Any takers?

Turnsteel

Re: Weather and spells/readings

Unread post by Turnsteel » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:54 pm

I have personally never heard of this in conjure. Do what feels right to you.

Literarylioness

Unread post by Literarylioness » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Never heard of anything about casting spells, but rain collected from a thunderstorm is quite powerful in hexing someone.

Mary

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Each culture has different traditions. We teach and practice African American based conjure, not Mexican curandismo or Choctaw medicine, and, as Hail Discordia and Mary said, we don't have that belief, as is not in our particular cultural repertoire. But Mary is right in that we use storm water -- and also the wood from lightning-struck trees -- for powerful purposes.
catherine yronwode

suzyparker

Deciding What Kind of Spell to Do or Products to Use

Unread post by suzyparker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:18 am

Here's an odd question but I didn't see it on the forum.

Since there are so many different approaches to hoodoo, how does on decide what to use?

Do you do a spell, a honey jar, a fixed vigil candle, a mojo bag??? I personally have UNBELIEVABLE success with the LM candles.. but I ordered a mojo bag and that was successful too.

Just wondering how you all decide what to use for whatever you are trying to accomplish!!

My questions:

1) Do you go with your gut or get a reading?

2) is one form more gentler than another?
Thanks

Turnsteel

Re: Deciding What Kind of Spell to Do or Products to Use

Unread post by Turnsteel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

It comes down to both personal preference and what divination has revealed to be the right way, I think. Many people seek out readers to get answers to this kind of question

It also comes to what is traditionally considered proper for a situation, for example you wouldn't do a house cleansing with just a candle or a mojo hand.

robynrawr
Re: Deciding What Kind of Spell to Do or Products to Use

Unread post by robynrawr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:38 pm

I agree with HailDiscorida.

As far as my experience goes, I try to choose the spell that is the most appropriate. For most maical spells, the oldest and most traditional spells contain aspects of physical contact, like dressing a letter or sprinkling powders so that they will come into contact with your target. Spells like those are most desired and strong, but they isn't always possible to carry out.

If you are hiring a rootworker, then you should be aware that different workers are also more skilled at one thing than another. Where one worker might construct a doll baby for a case, another might make a mojo hand. In such a case, what is done depends on the worker's gifts and skills.

mmcpower

Putting things under the bed

Unread post by mmcpower » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:49 pm

Ok so I have a question, on some spells I know you are suppose to put things under the bed but my question is can you put things between the mattress and box springs instead? I have cat's and it's hard to keep them from certain things as they are very curious?

Feed back would be great :) Thanks all

NotDorianGray

Re: Putting things under the bed

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:16 pm

What you really want to do is to grab an ammo box from a military surplus store. I can assure you that they're completely cat-proof, and long and flat and perfect for fitting under beds.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:40 pm

mmcpower wrote:Ok so I have a question, on some spells I know you are suppose to put things under the bed but my question is can you put things between the mattress and box springs instead? I have cat's and it's hard to keep them from certain things as they are very curious?

Feed back would be great :) Thanks all

I don't know what particular spell you are talking about here, but in some cases you want the things under your bed but in an open container, variants of Jewish bowl spells, so a box would not do. In those cases between the mattress and box spring can be an adequate alternative. If there is blood or body fluids of any kind involved then the cat might go after it no matter what kind of container its in :-)

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Turnsteel

Unread post by Turnsteel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:41 pm

Yes, you can place things between the mattress and box spring.

mmcpower

Unread post by mmcpower » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks - I appreciate all your help as always.

FLIGHTY1

Tandem Casting

Unread post by FLIGHTY1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:47 am

Hello! I would like to know more about dual casting and tandem casting. Miss cat spoke briefly of it in a reply to someone.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: tandum casting

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:51 am

Tandem or dual casting are modern terms that describe a situation when two people perform work at the same time for the same cause. The more traditional name for it is "backing up the work" -- but backing up the work can actually take two forms, one of which is NOT covered by the use of the modern terms tandem casting or dual casting:

1) You can have a second person, generally a professional root doctor, backing your work up with his or her work. For example, when you go in for a job interview, the rootworker can be at his or her home, backing up the work you are doing in the interview.

2) You can cast two spells yourself. For example, when you go in for a job interview, you can leave a vigil candle burning on its own at home, backing up the work you are doing in the interview.

Backing up the work or tandem or dual casting can be performed for any type of spell, not just job-getting, of course.
catherine yronwode

FLIGHTY1

Unread post by FLIGHTY1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:05 am

Does that means that they are more powerful than just a regular spell?

thanks flighty1

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Yes, it is more powerful, as two people are focusing their energy and intent on the one cause.

The two parties may both be rootworkers or other experienced practitioners. Alternatively one may be a practiced worker and the other may be someone inexperienced who is being coached and given certain rituals or works to perform. For instance, in a love spell, a woman may consult a rootworker, who gives her a certain set of guidelines to follow, eg creating a honey jar. The rootworker may then back this up by setting lights, creating a jar of their own, or otherwise strengthening the work.

I'm not sure there has been another thread on tandem casting. Congratulations, this is it.

I would like to invite one of the members of this forum who does client work to comment further: I do some tandem casting work with friends, but am less experienced than a lot of you others and I too would appreciate your input.

FLIGHTY1

Unread post by FLIGHTY1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks a million NDG :D

seekingtruth

Lights on or off?

Unread post by seekingtruth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:51 pm

Does it matter if you do your spells with the lights on or off?
As most of the time i need to have them on because i prefer to do my castings at night and it's sometimes hard to see everything and then i start dropping stuff :P
So i was wondering if i should just use maybe a light dimmer so it's somewhat dark or does the lighting even matter at all??

Turnsteel

Re: Lights on or off?

Unread post by Turnsteel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 pm

I wouldn't do it with artificial lights one, either do it during the day or by candle light, but thats me. I believe ms.cat herself has weighted in on this matter too and favours working by daylight or candle light.

cabriellenil

Unread post by cabriellenil » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Do the work by candlelight, is what I've been told by Ms Cat. The artificial lights will 'waste' your candle magic, so to speak.

seekingtruth

Unread post by seekingtruth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Oh thank you im glad i asked beforehand!
Can i light extra plain candles for extra lighting or would that not be okay?

Maybe i should not trim the wick because i always trim the wick to my candles and maybe if i don't do that it will give me a higher flame..

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:05 pm

I usually light devotional candles everyday on my altar. I suggest you do the same to bless your work and provide more light. The "extra plain candles" would be fine. Just put a picture or statue of Jesus, Mary, a saint, an angel, or deity that you feel close to between them and light them first. Then you will have sufficient light for your work, both physically and spiritually.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:40 pm

I like to obviously put the candles together in the light but I like to have it as dark as possible. Most of my spells I do at night ... i typically do it in the dark.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Wanttounderstand

Can you make a spell last forever?

Unread post by Wanttounderstand » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:44 pm

I know this may be a silly question but can a freeze spell or a break up spell or any kind of spell to make two people stay away from each other last forever or will I have to every now and again repeat the spell? I am very new to everything and it's so much to take in, I truly believe in everything that this site stands for but I keep thinking that nothing lasts forever and maybe my spells won't either. A little help someone please, am I wrong for thinking this? I believe in God and I do love him so but I have always had a little trouble putting my faith 100% in anything because I have had a lot of disappointment but I just needed a little more faith but how do I get more faith?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Re: Can you make a spell last forever?

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:16 pm

Well in my experience. I have broken up my ex boyfriend and his stupid ugly now EX girlfriend forever. I was able to break them up, but they would always get back together so the last and FINAL go I did I just made it so the break up was soo bad that they would never want each other back. I put it in the spell that everytime they are near each other they wouldnt be able to stand each other. Then I helped her get pregnant by some other guy (because she always wanted to get pregnant) I put my ex with another girl which is funny because he left the EX girlfriend just like he left me for her. Broke her heart into a million pieces

Why did this last forever? Well I made the spell so bad for them that they wouldnt get back together. THen I did some secondary things to ensure that they wouldnt. In my case, I never wanted him back...I just wanted this girl to feel what I felt and for him to get what he deserved. And everyone got what they deserved on a platter. I was way too determined

As for faith, I do not understand why everyone on this site has a lack of faith. I mean the situation can't get any worse than it already is if you are doing a love spell unless you decide to stalk or harrass the target. I mean anything is worth a try,and if it doesnt happen then it doesnt happen. The situation was no far worse than when you began the spell right? I understand many of you are emotional about your manner, but sometimes you have to put emotions aside to get what you want. Sometimes you have to dig deep and just BELIEVE. For those of you are that are religious, do you have to see your higher power to know that they are there? On a lighter note, do you have to see air to know the wind is blowing? NO. I know we like to physically see or t at least know some kind of way what we are doing is working. But sometimes you just HAVE to believe.

I know a lot of people have messaged me here asking me how do I just believe and not overthink. It is hard, and it was hard for me. But I figured I have nothing to lose if I can just do that ONE thing. and that is NOT panick. Spellwork takes WORK, and time. I can attest that things seem like they are totally going wrong, but funny thing is that usually it was working out in my favor anyways. At the time it may seem like dang this is NOT working, or that so and so is not coming back. But sometimes those things are necessary to get to the end result.

Sometimes we have to struggle to get what we want. Things are not going to come easy, and sometimes that is what separates those that are "gifted" for the work. Although I disagree with the word gifted. I believe we are all gifted in this work...I think the better word would be capable and more skilled to manage or emotions and be able to just have the ability to not overthink, obsess, and sometimes you have to fade into the background rather than trying FORCE things to work.

Honestly I could write a book, on this post one but I wont lol. But some spells if you do them right can last forever, and sometimes you just have to beiieve blindly that things are working. If you don't then you are your own worse enemy.

MaJiG_GarDen

Re: Can you make a spell last forever?

Unread post by MaJiG_GarDen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:15 pm

I completly agree with what stars had just said and I want to re-instate that if you want something bad enough you will work for it. Just believe and have faith.. I was in a bad way and I'm so happy things have worked out for me. So for all of you out there.. well have moments of weakness... do NOT give up..keep at it!

Good luck. =)

kevinloa74

hoodoo for men

Unread post by kevinloa74 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 am

is hoodoo traditionally for everyone ? i mean i hear about a lot of male hoodooists and their seemed to be more lots of men rootdoctors but like looking at supplies and stuff it seem really woman oriented, like to bring back a cheating husband. what about a cheating wife? i see a black penis candle for cursing but what about a black vagina or volva candle.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: hoodoo for men

Unread post by Mama Micki » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:01 am

In general, more women than men are interested in religion, spiritual matters, and the occult. Go to almost any church, spiritual meeting, or class on a spiritual or occult subject, and you will see a lot more women than men. Therefore, businesses selling spiritual and occult supplies naturally are more oriented toward women.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

kmew1315

Unread post by kmew1315 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:48 am

LM also sells vulva candles. There are also supplies like a John the Conqueror root which are geared toward men. Or oils like Follow Me Girl.
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

GoddessMojo

Unread post by GoddessMojo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:02 pm

I think it's best to look at this from the historical perspective to understand why much of the documented spellwork is female oriented.

To begin with, hoodoo is a magical system primarily concerned with day to day living - luck, love, and money; which originated with slaves who came from cultures that had different views of women, and of relationships than the western world. As the keepers of the family- the ones who were not in the fields working sun-up to sun-down, women were the ones to have concerns about family members cheating, or illnessess, or issues. In many cases it was assumed by both sexes that a man had to be 'caught' and 'kept' by a woman by means of magic, and a man wouldn't have concerned himself with keeping a woman in the same manner once she left. Not just because of social views, but later as slaves became free men, because women stood (stand) to loose more in a family when the man leaves. Often a woman and children were a big financial burden. But a man, to a woman and her child, might have been crucial not just for the emotional aspects, or finances, but for social acceptance. That is why, personally, I believe the number of spells oriented at keeping or hoodooing a man instead of a woman exist. In addition, it was women who had the time and knowledge to do this work for the most part. Medicinal knowledge and magical knowledge would have mixed quite a lot, and this would have been passed mother to daughter by simple default of practicality. It wasn't the men tending the little herb garden, wiping the sick baby's nose, worrying about the gossiping neighbor, or the wandering husband. The same thoughts can be applied to that culture of magical knowledge.

I think it's also important to realize that very little reliable written information exists, in comparison to the grimiores and older books of other traditions. What we have from history is a small slice of what happened. And that information does not consist of the whole of what you can do within hoodoo. The written spells are the ones that were simple and effective enough to share and save over generations; but many more exist, and can be made. It's a matter of knowing the correspondences, the rules, the basics, and then combining them in a way that works for you.

Where you see for example a love candle spell using a penis candle, replace it with a vulva candle. Where you see Queen Elizabeth Root, replace it with John the Conqueror Root. Just like any other recipe, they can be altered to your specific use once you know how the ingredients will react.
Thank you Saint Martha for hearing my petition and for your ongoing good works for myself and others.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Great response GoddessMojo!!
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:05 pm

I have another take on this.

First, thousands of hoodoo spells have been documented, from the 1860s through now, and a large part of them are for love.

When it comes to love, although both men and women do cheat, it is more common for men to cheat on women than it is for women to cheat on men. So there are more spells written for women to win back a cheating man than for men to win back a cheating woman. But both types of spells exist.

Also, if a marriage breaks up and there are children, the woman and her children generally suffer a lot more financial deprivation than the man does, so it is in the woman's best interests to save the marriage. So there are more spells written for women to save a marriage than for men to save a marriage. But both types of spells exist.

However, when it comes to looking for new love, there are plenty of formulas for oils for straight males (John the Conqueror, Nature, Follow Me Girl), straight females (Queen Elizabeth Root in Oil, Follow Me Boy), gay males (Q., Lavender Love Drops, Follow Me Boy), lesbian females (Q., Lavender Love Drops, Follow Me Girl) and for EVERYONE -- Kiss Me Now, Love Me, Attraction, Fire of Love, Come to Me, Look Me Over, Dixie Love -- and there is no preponderance of one gender over another.

Second, after love, the next most common types of spells are for money, in business and through games of chance.

These money spells almost never have a gender component. Both men and women use them.

Third, after money, the next most common types of spells are for protection from jinxes, enemy work, bad luck spells, or gossip on the job.

These protection spells almost never have a gender component. Both men and women use them.

So, in my opinion, by looking at hoodoo as being mostly about love spells and at love spells being mostly about holding a mate, you missed the wider history and structure of the work: We practice conjure for anything from safe travel to killing an enemy to getting a job or finding a mate. In all of these spells, except for love spells of fidelity, the gender of the people involved is not of great importance. Only in that one love spell area will you see a lot more spells used by women than by men, for the reasons stated.
catherine yronwode

Kajo
Broken mirror

Unread post by Kajo » Sat May 01, 2010 12:19 pm

I broke a mirror yesterday and have heard it's bad luck. What should I do? :?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Broken mirror

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat May 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Breaking a mirror is said to bring seven years of bad luck. This is a European folk magic belief which has been invcorporated by many African American practitioners of hoodoo -- but not all. To remove the jinx, you would bury the pieces at a crossroads, to dissipate the jinx, and go home to take a cleansing bath, for instance a Van Van bath to turn bad luck to good.

By the way, we also do sometimes deliberately break mirrors in conjure work, but only after naming them for some enemy. We try not to look in a mirror thus prepared for an enemy, and we may go so far at to even write the enemy's name on the back of the mirror. That way, when we crack it, the enemy gets the jinx.

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:35 pm

It had happened in my family. They say if a mirror breaks, you'll have bad luck for 7 years. My family doesnt know anything about magic, but we believe in God. So my mom light up a white candle and went with it around the house (probably saying a prayer).

Kajo

Unread post by Kajo » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

thanks for the info ;)

Sunshine

What is Conjure? What is a Vigil Candle?

Unread post by Sunshine » Mon May 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi all,
I would like to get an understanding/meaning of the words 'vigil' candles and conjure. What do they do/How do they work?

Thanks in advance

flamethrower

Re: Meanings and Terms

Unread post by flamethrower » Tue May 25, 2010 12:20 am

The search function is invaluable on Lucky Mojo site. The answers to both of your questions are easily obtained here (I could do a cut and paste of the definitions, but that's cheating you since these pages have loads of information for people new to hoodoo):

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html#hoodoo

http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html

Vigil candles and other candles can be purchased via this link:
http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html

ShadowyEmbrace

Hello help with casting and creating your own spell

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi there everyone I'm new to hoodoo although I've practiced other magic systems in the past.

I've been messing around with candles and carving out prayers / what I want out of the spell on them and using anointing oil to dress them with some success.

My questions:

1. Can you customize a spell?

2. When creating your own spell is there a formula to follow as far as prayers / chants are concerned?

3. Should you use the same chant each time?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Re: Hello help with casting and creating your own spell

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Yes you can customize your own spells, and create them.

No there is no "formula" per se.

However, hoodoo does not contin "chants." Some people like to say psalms, other likes to make their own petition of what they want to say, others say novenas or prayers. You would not say the same petition or prayer for every single prayer because obviously every spell and its objective is different. The petition you make on your own, psalm or prayer should be aligned with your intentions. In addition, the petition does not need to be ridiculously long either. It can be one good sentence, to a few sentences if you decide to make a petition. When I first started, I would say the command over and over again such as Come to me Michael, and I would say it 7 or 9 times for 7 or 9 days. That was just an example. I would advise you to read more in "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice," and see how to do things more traditionally.

http://luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks. I'm very facinated with hoodoo b/c unlike the other systems I've worked with it seems to be almost a freestyle and gives you alot of room to do your own thing unlike other systems that are very ritual based and you can't mess up anything it has to be to the T.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:29 pm

I wouldn't say that hoodoo is "freestyle" -- things are done according to traditional boundaries and cultural contexts.

There's a good deal of flexibility within those boundaries, but hoodoo is certainly not an anything-goes system of magic by any means.

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 am

Yes sorry didn't mean to imply it was anything goes, but compaired to say the Keys of Solomon which I found just the preperations for the rituals to be next to impossible for a person to accomplish in todays world I'd say the flexability of this system is easy when you don't have days just to prepair.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:05 pm

ShadowyEmbrace,

Hoodoo is not "freestyle."

Each system of magic that you study has a cultural context. The Solomonic magic to which you refer is a Kabbalistic and arcane system that was developed in Europe among ceremonial magicians, some of whom were Christians, but were appropriating or adapting earlier Jewish magical texts. If you don't feel drawn to it, do not get into it.

But please, be aware that hoodoo also has cultural content. It is a folk-magical way of working that developed first among African Americans in the US South, and moved northward into urban areas during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is not "freestyle" because it is intimately connected to and contextualized within African American society. The "rules" you think it does not have are there -- but they are subtextually understood by traditional practitioners.

For instance, let's look at heating up a situation or a person. This means to produce quicker action, more radical activity, and faster results. If you want to heat up a love affair, use Ginger. If you want to heat up a business deal, use Cinnamon. If you want to heat up a co-worker to the point that she explodes in fury and gets fired, use Red Pepper. We know these things -- and we know why they are like that, and how we can work with them. It is up to you to learn this knowledge from us -- but if you just dabble at "freestyling" hoodoo, using, for instance, Slippery Elm or Honey in a misguided attempt to heat up a court case, you will never amount to much.
catherine yronwode

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:13 pm

The idea that hoodoo is a "freestyle" way of working is a common misconception on the internet.

Ultimately, the origination of this error may have been among outsiders to black culture who want to subtly "possess" hoodoo. Such people may think that by blowing hoodoo's constraints and stylistic nuances apart into chaos, they can claim the remnant fractions as their own, but they are likely to be sadly disappointed when hoodoo's authentic culture-bearers laugh in their faces and refuse to accept their novel rearrangements of a well-known or traditional conjure trick.
nagasiva yronwode

Forum Tech Help
forum@luckymojo.com

Ms Kay
front door back door

Unread post by Ms Kay » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi Everyone. I have a question about front door verses back door. I have always done a lot of work using the front door and some work using the back door. I have recently moved and my back door is my main entrance i park in the back of the building and almost never use the front door. so is my back door really my front door? "does this change the status of my "back door man?" just kidding about the man :) All thoughts on the topic are welcome.
shelly
"Do not curse the darkness, light a candle."- Anna Riva's Candle Burning Magic.... #96 (G)

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: front door back door

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Your front door is the front of your house not the main entrance (my opinion). Remember front door is for drawing items to you and back door for items you want to stay with you.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

supernova

friends help?

Unread post by supernova » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:08 am

hi everyone out there :)

i have a question.

could i perform a spell, for perhaps love, with the help of a friend?

isn't it the same, almost, as if a rootworker works the spell for you?

i'm asking, because i read an article of why spells often don't work, and the writer/rootworker said, "never talk of your action, spell, work..." but perhaps it could strengthen you, when a friend is beside you,talks to you, and helps you to focus and concentrate.

any opinions?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Re: friends help?

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:22 am

Yes, I do this with another friend of mine who does rootwork. I wouldnt say its the same as working with rootworker, but it would definitely have to be a friend you trust, and is not going to add negativity, or go blabbing about your work to the target or anyone else.

As for never talk about your work with someone else. There is a difference between speaking with someone who is a professional or someone who is coaching you, than saying on the forum. In my instance, I know I can trust this friend to do the work for me, and she is not going to overthink, pour negativity into the situation, and so on. It takes a level of trust, and I would only do it if there is trust, and a level of skill that person has by using the products, herbs, and techinique. I would not pass this situation on to someone that is going to overthink the situation by throwing a ridiculous amount of spells, someone that would tell my target or others. Sometimes I do pass things off to this person, and she can focus much better than I can or when I need an extra boost in an urgent situation.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator
Re: friends help?

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:06 am

Working together for various means is not unheard of and can be beneficial. If your friend who is a rootworker is helping out each of you can focus on a specific area of the issue in order to best help. For example, if you have a good hand in money drawing and she enjoys road opening work. She can light her candles to open the roads while you work money drawing. Of course this applies to a hypothetical situation.

Both of you are involved in the working and so can discuss it, but when you start putting out your work for others to critique, judge, and examine then prepare for an onslaught of other people's influences.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR

soverycurious11

Piles of Rocks outside window?

Unread post by soverycurious11 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:48 pm

I am very curious. I looked outside today and there were 2 piles of Rocks outside the bedroom window my brother sleeps at. They looked like they were placed there by someone. 2 little piles with gravel. Does anyone know what kind of magick or spell or what this could mean?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Piles of Rocks outside window?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:55 pm

It's not typical of hoodoo. We are more likely to hide our work than advertise it.

Did you look under the piles to see if anything was hidden there?

Did you count the number of rocks in each pile to see if the numbers were significant?

To dispose of the work, if you do not wish it around you, take it to a running river and throw the riocks in from a bridge or from the shore, or take it to a crossroads and toss the rocks into the road.

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

broomhilda
Advice on an offering

Unread post by broomhilda » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm not sure if this is where this belongs, but I petitioned the universe, higher power, cosmos, divine, etc for something quite substantial & my petition was not only fulfilled but with a quickness. I would like to give an offering of some sort to express my gratitude but am frankly at a loss of how to do this. The magnitude of what was granted to me was worth far more than a simple acknowledgement.
I thought of giving to a charity, planting a tree, etc. but it didn't seem personal enough. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
Blessings,

Broom : )

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Advice on an offering

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:13 am

Congratulations on your success.

I would contribute to a charity, and which one would be up to you.
catherine yronwode

Miss Ida Lundin

Re: Advice on an offering

Unread post by Miss Ida Lundin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:47 am

If that type of offering didn't feel personal enough for you you could combine it with making devotional music or a painting or you could go on a pilgrimage.

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”