• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Hoodoo, Conjure, Training Workshops

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Bay Leaf Questions and Answers

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.

Bay Leaf Questions and Answers

Unread postby wraithklewn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:27 am

i was reading up on properties for bay leaf in hoodoo conjures and it said this..."For protection and to avoid being jinxed, especially if you are doing a job on someone else".(quoted from LM)

i have a new deck of tarot cards that i havent touched yet and want to cleanse and break in and all that you need to do before use. i will get some sage at a later point but i was wondering if smudging the tarot cards with bay leaf can provide cleansing to them? im basing this from the description of bay leaf uses.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate # 1684G
wraithklewn

Re: bay leaves to smoke a tarot deck?

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 am

I'm interested in this as well. Interesting question w/k...
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Devi Spring » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 am

You could certainly fumigate them with a mixture of herbs.

However, the trick that I remember for using bay leaves to avoid being detected when working on someone else is that you lay 5 leaves in a 5-spot pattern encompassing your working altar. That hides the work that's going on inside that barrier.

Bay is also a success herb, too, though. So you could use it for success in your divinations while fumigating as well.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 am

I see no reason to protect or cloak my tarot cards -- if i were smoking a new pack, i'd smoke them with Psychic Vision incense, Spirit Guide incense, or Indian Spirit Guide incense, for obvious reasons.

HER-BAY-LEAF
Bay Leaf
$3.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

Unread postby wraithklewn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:59 am

thank you for the very helpful info Devi. i will definitely use the bay leaves in a combo with the tarot cards and to 5 spot my altar. from what you said it makes me think i can successfully hide my works and/or bring more success to the spells cast from the altar. i actually smudged myself a bit earlier after a working was done. i am brainstorming many different ways to use this potent herb now.

how have other friends on the forum have used this herb? id like to keep this thread going as it fascinates me.
wraithklewn

Unread postby wraithklewn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:04 pm

oh oops i posted after Ms. Cat and didnt see it. thats an interesting point you bring. i havent smudged the cards as of yet. i think i was more along the lines of reading the properties on protecting form being jinxed.

would burning an incense that contained bay leaves during a reading cause the tarot to be protected from truth during divination?
wraithklewn

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Bay Leaves are also great for not jinxing yourself if you are doing work for clients, or if you are doing dark work, not tracking the dark energies back in to your space. Like Devi mentioned you put down those leaves and it will conceal your work, protect you, and I've used to keep from having things reversed back unto me.

Follow Miss cat's advise and smoke them with Psychic Vision. You can also dust them with the satchet powder if you like.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:17 pm

wraithklewn, don't be silly.

You ask the herbs for the specific help that you desire and require, given what you want and what you can expect them to do.

Would you ask friends to do the OPPOSITE of what they wanted them to do? No, you wouldn't. So why imagine that suddenly the Bay leaves will "cause the tarot to be protected from truth during divination"?

Truly, you NEED Bay leaves -- they'll make sure your head -- and your spell work -- are screwed on front-forward. :-)

HER-BAY-LEAF
Bay Leaf
$3.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

Unread postby wraithklewn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 pm

thank you for setting me right Ms. Cat. ah yes i do have alot to learn and i know that i will thanks to this forum you have created and of course you.

next order will have psychic vision in it among a few other items.. well ok probably a whole bunch of things.

p.s. i enjoyed listening to you on that internet brodcast you particpated in.
wraithklewn

Unread postby yooster976 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:42 am

Just out of interest I have heard of using bay leaves to hide your work, I cant remember where the information came from (possibly Miss Cats book) but the use of them was by placing a leaf in each corner of the room to hide your work.
However I like the idea of using a 5-spot on the altar, I haven’t heard of that before. I was just wondering if you would place 4 leaves on the corners of the alter or on the floor at the corners of your alter and the other obviously in the middle of the altar.

The reason why I am asking is because I am planning to move my altar to a spare room in my house
and the place I will be putting it is in a alcove in the room so because the room is not square the leaves in the 4 corners of the room will only cover half my alter.

I was also advised to put a mirror on the window ledge in the room to hide a reversal work. I like this as well but I guess to use both might be over doing it.
Do you need to do anything with the mirror ie write on it ect.

Thank you.
yooster976

Unread postby wraithklewn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:04 am

i 5 spotted my altar earlier. its a big wooden chest and i actually put the 5 leaves on the bottom of the chest inside it. i may as well do my room in a 5 spot as well. i had done it last week with salt too.
wraithklewn

Unread postby yooster976 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 pm

I like the idea of using the corners of my room, but due to the rooms shape
it wont be very practical and even if it is, it wont feel right because
it would feel like placing rail road spikes for protection at the front of my
garden and putting the other 2 half way up the side of the house instead of
the back end of my back garden. It wasnt until I was reading this thread
that I even thought about this.
I will go with the 5 spot on the alter as I will be using a desk, I like the
idea with the chest though.
yooster976

Unread postby wraithklewn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:01 pm

i dont know about the details.. but id go as far as 5 spotting both really. there are way more experienced to this then myself so im sure someone will chime in on the matter.
wraithklewn

Bay Leaf?

Unread postby lovelast » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:42 am

I am trying to find out exactly what is bay leaf used for??..
lovelast

Re: Bay Leaf?

Unread postby AmaSarah » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:54 am

Hi, It is typically used for protection. I have one in each corner of my room as you can read about in the attached link.

You can read about bay leaf here: http://www.herb-magic.com/bay-leaves.html
You can read about a whole host of herbs here: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatherbs.html
and here is a list categorized by function: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooataglance.html
AmaSarah

Unread postby lovelast » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:09 am

Thank you.
lovelast

Unread postby Devi Spring » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Bay leaf is a major component in success work - remember the bay laurel crowns that victors would wear in Rome? Bay = Success!
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AmaSarah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:43 am

didn't know that. thanks. I love understanding where these things come from or where they can be found in history.
AmaSarah

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Thank you Devi. There should be a thread started for you. I have followed your words of wisdom for a while and greatly respect you. You help all the new comers as we come in, and some of us that have been here for a short and a long while, with words of wisdom and recommendations to products.
I appreciate you and am most certain that many others do as well for all that you share.
Most sincerely,
Triple
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Devi Spring » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:55 pm

You're sweet, Triple. I'm glad to be of help.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jwmcclin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:57 pm

I agree with Triplethreat, I follow Devi's advice quite often....and Triplethreat you are brilliant as well.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Thank you both :)
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Re: Bay Leaf Questions and Answers

Unread postby brthrchristopher » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:48 pm

I've come across a few spells where it indicates to write out certain petitions, or the names of Apostles, or scripture, on bay laurel leaves. The purpose of the spell doesn't seem to align up usually with protection or mental clarity/psychic vision. Does anyone know where that symbolism of that act is? where does this practice come from?
brthrchristopher

Unread postby Miss Aida » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Hello, brthrchristopher,
Greek, Roman, Chinese, and the Bible are the sources.
Don't believe any of them are related to Hoodoo.
Take Care
PROUD member of AIRR
Also find me on Hoodoo Psychics
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby brthrchristopher » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:38 am

I'm pretty sure I've read one Hyatt spell where the names of the Apostles were written on a bay leaf for winning a court case. I just wonder why.
brthrchristopher

Unread postby Miss Aida » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:12 am

Hello, Brthrchristopher,
Now that you mention it, I'm 95% sure that you're right about that!
Isn't it the one about the Apostles' names?
Please let us know if you find the passages in Hyatt.
Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Also find me on Hoodoo Psychics
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:23 am

Brthrchristopher and Miss Aida,

This is a variant of an old German folk-magic spell. The names can be written on a Plantain leaf -- not the Banana species that is called a Plantain, but Goose-Foot or Broad-Leaf Plantain, Plantago, the lawn weed that is called a Plantain, the one with the parallel ribs or veins in the leaf that look like lined paper. Here is a rosette of Plantain:

In the absence of a Plantain leaf, one may use a dried Bay leaf, as it forms a sturdy writing surface.

By the way, calling the information given by 1,605 African American rootworkers, "Hyatt spells" is highly misleading to the public and seems disrespectful to those whose practices Harry Hyatt collected. Hyatt was an amateur folklorist who did not believe in the efficacy of spell-craft at all, although he was continuously amazed by the divinatory powers of some of his informants (and he stated so repeatedly). Because of his dismissive attitudes toward the spells, despite his intense devotion to the process of collecting them, i prefer never to call them "Hyatt spells," but rather "the spells collected by Harry Hyatt from 1,605 mostly anonymous African American hoodoo practitioners between 1936 and 1940." Wordy, yes -- but accurate.

As to why an African American practitioner would tell Harry Hyatt a Germanic spell, that is fairly easy to explain: There is wide diversity among the informants, regionally, by age, by experience, and by ethnic background. With respect to the latter, although all of the people Harry Hyatt interviewed, except one, would have been conventionally listed as "Negro" people for the purposes of the United Stats census in 1930 - 1940, some were obviously part Native American, Sicilian, French, English, and so forth -- and openly stated as much. Due to their mingled ethnic backgrounds, and also due to natural human curiosity, which leads us to learn from our neighbors and friends of other backgrounds, many of the informants related to Hyatt the folklore of non-African cultures.

For the original German version of the spell, utilizing a Plantain leaf, see "Pow Wows or the Long Lost Friend" by John George Hohman. The English translation of 1848 cites Plantain; the more commonly encountered translation of 1858 erroneously translates the German word as "Knotweed," a plant with leaves too small to be written upon. The translation of 1858 is filled with errors of this sort, and only the translation of 1848 has correct botanical and medical terminology in it. Both editions have had wide circulation in candle shops and hoodoo drug stores from the 1880s through the present, and would have been readily available to Harry Hyatt's informants.

For more information on Harry Hyatt's informants, please see this "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" web page:

Harry Middleton Hyatt's Informants
http://luckymojo.com/hyattinformants.html

For more information on Pow -Wows or The Long Lost Friend, please see this "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" web page:

Pow-Wows: An Emblematic Example of the European Influence on Hoodoo
http://luckymojo.com/powwows.html

Here is the current edition of The Long Lost Friend that we are carrying in the Lucky Mojo shop:

BOO-GRI-TLLF
The Long-Lost Friend, A 19th Century American Grimoire, by John George Hohman
$17.95

Good luck!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

Unread postby brthrchristopher » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:18 am

Thank you for sharing. I am going to add the Long Lost Friend to my list of things to order
brthrchristopher

Unread postby Luckbewithme876 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:25 pm

I've read that Bay leaf can be used to wash the windows and door to protect the house from negativity. How would one use the herb to make a water? Would you put it in a cloth and then let it soak in some spring water? Does it matter what type of cloth?
Thank you to St. Dymphna!
Luckbewithme876

Unread postby brthrchristopher » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:07 pm

You would make the water similarly to making tea. Although I think with Bay Laurel leaves, you want to actually boil them in the water for a bit, as they are a little more hardy and need some more heat and time to help release their essence into the water.

You could easily use an unbleached muslin bag for steeping the herbs in the water which Lucky Mojo sells.

$1.00
BAG-MUS-UNBL
brthrchristopher

• Advertisement
Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork