Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Bible Verses Psalms Prayer Scripture Questions and Answers

RevJames
Forum Moderator

Re: Bible Verses Psalms Prayer Scripture Questions and Answers

Unread post by RevJames » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Hey Shutter -

I've read a lot of various Psalm translations as well and find they all work well as long as you pray with faith and its the correct psalm for that purpose, some bibles like the douay-rheims verison seems to have different psalms in a few places.
I personally like the "thee", "thy", "thou"'s so I stick with and always fall back to KJV usually rather than more "modern" translations (for some reason its easier for me to memorize!). Others may have more input so wait to see what they have to say!

Though pray with faith and you should be ok. Good luck!
Matthew 17:20 | Student #2148G

Shutter
HRCC Student

Unread post by Shutter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:51 am

That's what I figured, but doesn't hurt to ask! Thanks!
To all the saints and angels thanks for intercession upon my behalf
To all else listen to the mods!

Sister Jean
Site Admin

Unread post by Sister Jean » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am

Great advice from RevJames!
Thank you saints and spirits!
Proud member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics!
readersandrootworkers.org

selenitepower

Unread post by selenitepower » Sat May 05, 2018 4:37 am

I am new to the forum and candle magick.

I have been trying to attract a loving relationship through affirmations and sometimes it has worked but the guys that become interested don't usually take the relationship far and are just happy to flirt and talk to me.

I have started to write a petition with the qualities I am looking for in a partner and relationship.

I will share some of the lines from it to see if the way I am writing is correct?

I am in a loving steady relationship with a handsome man. I am pursued for a relationship by my boyfriend. I have an amazing sex life with my boyfriend.

Do I write the petition this way? I basically desire to draw someone I am mutually attracted to, he pursues me for a relationship and for me the sexual aspect of the relationship has to be fulfilling for me. I desire someone loyal, caring, loving and a private type of man that will be my emotional support. How do I put this in the petition?

I will be using pink and red candles, I will write my petition on parchment paper and place underneath the candles. I will try to keep the candles lit as much as I can but I go to work so I cant leave them burning in the house all day.

Please can someone advise me which Psalm would be good for me to recite too and oils to use. If someone has had any success please share with me. I am only looking for new love as I am not interested in trying to influence someone/an ex or anything like that. I only desire someone to enter my life that is good for me and has the qualities I desire.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon May 07, 2018 8:40 am

Hello, selenitepower --

The grammatical form in which you are writing the petition -- "I am in a loving steady relationship with a handsome man" -- as an accomplished fact, is definitely popular in some circles and recommended by some teachers.

It is not my way. I was taught to write, and find it more to my personal style, to write commands: May the loving steady handsome man i desire come to me swiftly, ardently, and in full clarity and may we have sex and marry and live the rest of our lives together, Amen!" I am a Taurus, so marriage is always the end-point of my love-plans. Your mileage may vary.

I would not put in the part about being "pursued for a relationship by my boyfriend" because you earlier secified "a handsome man" and now it sounds like you want both a a steady man and a pursuing boyfriend, which is a stuation that i personally would find awkward. Of course, if you do want two, then state it as such.

As for a Psalm, i like Psalms 45 for mating.

Good luck to you!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Dr. Jeremy Weiss
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Dr. Jeremy Weiss » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:15 pm

I have been reading these two books --" Shimmush Tehillim" (the old Jewish folk magic classic) and Anna Riva's "Powers of the Psalms." I do not (yet) have a copy of Godfrey Selig's "Secrets of the Psalms."

The thing is, their use of Psalms is VERY different.

I am wondering about the accuracy of Riva's book.

Thoughts?
Readings and Rootwork at Hoodoo Psychics

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Anna Riva is not an accurate source on Jewish folk magic. "Secrets of the Psalms" is an ancient book, and all editions since the 19th century have been literal copies in English of the Gottfried Seelig / Godfrey Selig German translation from the Hebrew. This is the one that entered hoodoo and became a deep part of African American Christian practice.
catherine yronwode

Dr. Jeremy Weiss
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Dr. Jeremy Weiss » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Yeah, Anna Riva's uses of Psalms have nothing to do with what Shimmush Tehillim says -- which is way older. Plus her translations of the Psalms are poor corruptions of the King James version.

How does Anna Riva attribute each Psalm with a specific purpose -- where did her ideas come from?
Readings and Rootwork at Hoodoo Psychics

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:26 pm

The attribution of a specific purpose (but not necessarily a single purpose) to each Psalm goes back centuries, but there are two schools here -- the Jewish school of traditional knowledge and the Protestant folk magic chool, as exemplified in hoodoo, in which the words of the Psalms indicate usage.

See

Category:The Book of Psalms - Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers
http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... _of_Psalms

("The Book of Psalms is a collection of 150 ancient Hebrew poems or songs employed in a variety of spiritual, magical, medical, and social circumstances. It forms one of the most loved portions of the Jewish Bible or Hebrew Tanakh, and is equally revered in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible.")

That web page tells a lot and contains links to each of the 150 Psalms. The usages on the AIRR site were not compiled via Anna Riva, but they do contain a use for each Psalm, as you will see by looking in the navigation box at top right for each Psalm. They were compiled from Godfrey Selig and from general hoodoo usage, in which sometimes only one or two verses will be read, rather than the entire Psalm.

As to Anna Riva -- when an author is essentially "off the map" of shared traditions, i tend to label the work as "personal gnosis" and give it a respectful pass. Her book may have been a sincere attempt to discover a new path through the thickets, but it may also have been an attempt to produce a new, copyright-protected version of an old classic, in order to gain ownership over something unique. It is impossible to say, at this late date. Anna Riva (Dorothy Spencer) passed away in 2005.

See also "Hoodoo Bible Magic" by Miss Michaele and Prof. Porterfield. In that book you will get a quick cheat-sheet on all the Psalms, as per the AIRR site, and also a highly intriguing set of "The Chicago Psalms of Morton Neumann" in which he documented the Psalms as used in the Bronzeville neighborhood of Chicago among recent Black immigrants from the South in the mid 1930s.

BOO-GRI-HBIM
Hoodoo Bible Magic; Miss Michaele, Prof. Porterfield
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode

peterwilliams623
HRCC Student

Unread post by peterwilliams623 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 am

Hi all,

I have a general question about working in Hoodoo...

Are words, a statement of intent or prayers necessary to the practice in order to set things to working or is the intent by itself sufficient?

I have been working a lot with the Psalms in my candle work but most of what I know has been to set my intent with a short statement and that's it or even working with the intent in mind but nothing said out loud or silently. Should I be doing something more?

Thanks
Peter.
Thank you St. Jude for prayers answered

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:59 am

peterwilliams623 --

I moved your question into this thread because this thread is more relevant to the question than where you had first posted it -- and because if you go back to page 1 of this thread and read my responses to questions, you will get a good overview of my own personal way of working.

There is no one way to work, and i am not trying to train people to copy my style exclusively, but generally, the concept of a strictly "mental intent" has only entered into hoodoo in recent years. The farther back you go in time, the more likely you are to encounter accounts by workers who either make no mention of what to think or speak, or who will cite a Bible verse or give a sample of a spoken petition from the heart. The words need not be spoken out loud, although many do so, myself included.
catherine yronwode

peterwilliams623
HRCC Student

Unread post by peterwilliams623 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 am

thank you Cat.

peterwilliams623
HRCC Student

Unread post by peterwilliams623 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 am

there are times where I know what I'd like to accomplish in my workings but don't actually know how to word it for use as a prayer or petition paper, these are the times when I use a focusing of energy or intent, as God knows our hearts. It's not exactly an unspoken prayer but more of a heart felt one.

I also know of some people that will do their work in secret, everything done mentally and not said, believing that telling someone will kill the work, much like a birthday wish spoken aloud. The only clue will be a lit candle.

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”