Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Bone, Shell, and Nut Reading Questions and Answers

How to select and employ Lucky Mojo divination tools, and how to learn fortune telling in the Hoodoo and Conjure tradition.
JimtheConjure
Re: Bone, Shell, and Nut Reading Questions and Answers

Unread post by JimtheConjure » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:21 am

That sounds like a great plan! I understood from Miss Cat's post that you were a professional, so I offered up my experience more as friendly conversation than as advice. :) The first 30 were definitely overwhelming. I scheduled them over the course of a couple months and since I was offering them for free no one seemed to mind waiting!
Good luck with the Bones and I'd love to hear more about how your set is growing. I'm definitely trying to make it out again in May, hopefully this time for the apprenticeship as well!
Take care!
Jim #1613G

Jibrael

Unread post by Jibrael » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 pm

An update:
I have been reading the bones for friends, and recently had the opportunity to read bones all day for the public as part of an annual Psychic Fair to raise money for my chuch (Unitarian Universalist).
I am in love with this way of reading! As I mentioned, I've read cards for years, so I'm no stranger to divination, but the bones.. well.. they are powerful and have a mind of their own! They cut right to the heart of the matter, and don't sugarcoat. I think part of this power is that I do consciously call on my own Ancestors and those of the person I'm reading for before beginning each reading (with a specific call to the Ancestors we have in common).

I ordered some extra bones from LM: a skull bead, skeleton crucifix, and cat ankle bone. I had wanted a jezebel root for the set but they were not yet available. Oh well. I am weighing wether or not I want to have the small china doll head with dirt from a child's grave. Part of me wants to, and part of me is unsure, so I'll wait for now. I'm currently cleaning some chicken bones to add to the set, left over from a church potluck. In addition, I told a friend who is from deep in the hollers of West Virginia about the bones, and he told me that he actually knew people when he was younger that read possum bones. So, he got me a possum carcass, and is hoping to having the bones cleaned for me by Christmas. What a present! :)

I don't want this set to get too massive or unwieldy, so each "bone" that comes my way I set with and pray over, discerning its meaning before adding it, or not. I am not rushing the process, but I can easily see this expanding and changing over time. This is one of the best spiritual investments I've made in recent memory <3
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Jibrael,

The UU church fair sounds like an excellent opportunity! I immediately looked at our local UU church schedule, but there are no Psychic Fairs in the near future. There are monthly psychic fairs at a couple of the local shops and I am pretty sure the owners would let me work them, but I am not ready yet. I will continue to keep my eyes peeled for opportunities and you have given me one more place to look. Thanks!

At this point I am winnowing more than adding and I have bowl of things that I have considered and decided against for now. Some may make it back in the future. One major plus is that I am deepening my relationship with my ancestors with whom I already have a relationship and I seem to be in touch with ancestors who are new to me since I started working with the bones.

Michele
Michele
Student #54GA and Member of A.I.R.R.

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:27 pm

What are folks using for reading surfaces? I understand that a circle in the dirt was used in the past but now that many folks don't have access to a piece of dirt outside of public parks, what are you using? I have seen Cat's beautiful reading piece and I have made a couple of cloths for myself, but I am curious to hear or better yet see what others are using.

Michele
Michele

BewitchingBelle

Hurkey RIP

Unread post by BewitchingBelle » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:44 pm

I received new of hurkey's passing very recently- I'm not exactly certain of the date though. Apparently it was a few years ago. Hurkey had been displaced in Houston following hurricane Katrina , but returned to New Orleans . Apparently he died shortly after that.

Very sad news

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:48 am

Michele: I am having a friend make me a goat skin throwing mat.

BewitchingBelle: Who is Hurkey? Is this regarding Bone Readings?
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:55 am

Michele: Right now I am using a purple felt square because it is what I have on hand.

BewitchinBelle: Yes, please provide more information. I've been searching the forum and other sources with nothing.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Turnsteel

Unread post by Turnsteel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Michelej2 wrote:What are folks using for reading surfaces? I understand that a circle in the dirt was used in the past but now that many folks don't have access to a piece of dirt outside of public parks, what are you using? I have seen Cat's beautiful reading piece and I have made a couple of cloths for myself, but I am curious to hear or better yet see what others are using.

Michele

I use a circle of black flannel divided into four segments with white stitching. Each of these four segments is then divided into three smaller segments. This way I can read the bones using a system based off of the twelve houses of astrology/geomancy, or use the four large segments as the situation calls for it.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Some folks use a goat skin. A cloth marked in batik or with stitchery with a circle and cross is great. I use a small hand-knotted wool tiger rug from Nepal, just because i like it. It looks like this:

catherine yronwode

BewitchingBelle

Unread post by BewitchingBelle » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Joseph

Hurkey was a bone reader in jackson square, new orleans for many years. He was, to the best of my knowledge , the only reader in that area that observed Hoodoo tradition.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:25 am

Hurkey (short for Hercules, although that was not his birth name) was born Leroy Thomas in Philadelphia and grew up learning hoodoo from his mother and at Harry's Occult Shop on South Street. As an adult, he moved to New Orleans and hooked up with Chicken Man a.k.a. Prince Keeyama (Fred Staten), a professional geek, and when Chicken Man fell ill in the late 1990s, Hurkey cared for him until his death. He also knew all the dirt on Charles Gandolfo and was one of the few people i could talk with about that scene. He was knowledgeable about the history of hoodoo, had read the works of Puckett, Huston, and Hyatt, and had extensively researched the life of Leafy Anderson and Mother Catherine Seals of the Spiritual Church Movement, interviewing people who had known them personally.

We were friends for many years and talked by telephone often, for hours at a time, and siva and i went to see him when we were in New Orleans. He took my correspondence course (not that he needed to) and i supplied him with Lucky Mojo oils as well as special items from my stock when i got them in (large or oddly shaped roots, for instance).

He got caught up in Hurricane Katrina and suffered some serious health consequences. He went to Houston and back to Philadelphia to recover his health, then returned to New Orleans. This photo was taken in Jackson Square in 2007 by Maureen "moeyknight" and is used with permission.

There is a brief description of a bone reading by Hurkey and the prescription he gave the querent, Marisa Murgatroyd, in 2006 on her blog, New Orleans Memories, here: http://neworleansmemories.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html --

"I sit down with Leroy (aka Hurkey) after he calls out to me a few times for a personal divination session. He hands me a black cloth bag filled with cowrie shells, bones and a single dice. He asks me to shake it around and then dump the contents on the table. He closes his eyes and holds my hands and tells me I'm a creative, spiritual person. That money will come to me by December and that I intimidate men because they think I'm too much woman for them. Then he gives me a prescription:

"Next month on the first full moon, put three tablespoons of sugar in your bath water and take a bath. This will sweeten your life and your path. Then step out of the bathtub backwards to get rid of bad luck. Following this, on the next rain, set a white cup with a pinch of salt out in the rain—this is holy water. When it stops raining, put the cup in your bedroom window until the water evaporates. Then wrap it in a white hankerchief and throw it away. A lot of people are jealous of you, and this will dispel the bad luck that comes from this."

And that was Hurkey -- a sincere and gifted reader, a performer in a public venue, a scholar of conjure, and a well-trained and traditional practitioner.

Rest in peace!
catherine yronwode

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:57 am

Thank you Miss Cat. He sounded like a wonderful spirit. May he rest in peace.
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 am

Joseph Magnuson wrote:Michele: I am having a friend make me a goat skin throwing mat.

Did you ever get that mat made? I am now just using a piece of black cowhide.
Michele

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Regarding Hurkey: fantastic to learn about him. Sad to hear of his passing.

Regarding the goat skin mat: It is still in the finishing process and being smoothed out/aired out. It will still be a bit longer for it to be completed.
Joseph Magnuson

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Joseph Magnuson wrote:Regarding Hurkey: fantastic to learn about him. Sad to hear of his passing.

Regarding the goat skin mat: It is still in the finishing process and being smoothed out/aired out. It will still be a bit longer for it to be completed.

I hope you share it with us. It sounds wonderful.
Michele
Michele

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 am

Oh not to worry, there will be much fanfare when it arrives later this year!
Joseph Magnuson

omniel

Unread post by omniel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:22 pm

The information about Hurkey is fascinating. I hope Prince Keeyama was the first person waiting for him when he went to his Heavenly Home. R.I.P.

I just ordered the bone set and Miss Cat's book and my order should be coming soon. This thread has been so interesting for me to read and I'm really excited to start reading and working with my set!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Limited time offer:

We just got in some Skunk bones and Possum bones. These will go fast. The Possum bones are mostly ribs, very mellow and brownish. The Skunk bones do not have residual odor -- many vertebrae in that lot.

Call the shop on Tuesday, Juanry 22, 2013 and ask for Robin Petersen.

Read more about bone-throwing in the Books, Pamphlets, Instruction Manuals, and Grimoires section of the Lucky Mojo Forum -- here:

Throwing the Bones Book Questions and Answers
throwing-the-bones-book-questions-and-answers-t23732.html
catherine yronwode

Luckbewithme876
Other Curios offered for sale without a description

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:04 am

There are some curios that I couldn't find a description for, like wolf teeth and tarantula sheds. While I can guess at their purposes (like abalone shells being used for hidden wealth?), it would be great if I could be told specifically what they're for.

Thanks in advance. :)
Thank you to St. Dymphna!

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator
Re: Other Curios offered for sale without a description

Unread post by Papa Newt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:37 am

The spirit of the wolf has many qualities that one can work with such as loyalty, spiritual guidance, etc. These can be worked with in a Mojo Bag or can be added to a Bone Reading Set.

Tarantula sheds are a lovely item to work with especially in situations when you need to hold someone down and "stick" them in one place.
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Just got my skunk vertebrae and possum rib bone today. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to purchase these bones Miss Cat.
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:01 pm

I am looking forward to getting mine.
Michele

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Other Curios offered for sale without a description

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Large abalones are use as casting bowls / containers for bone reading. Mini abalones represent female beauty and are cast as such in bone reading.

Wolf bones are used in bone reading to represent wildness and loyaalty.

See full descriptions in my book "Throwing the Bones."
catherine yronwode

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:49 pm

I thought I posted this earlier, but it never showed up.

I got my possum bones today and one of the ribs looks like it was broken and healed! I love it!

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh516/myearrings/bones/possum-ribs_zpsfe406b1a.jpg
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh516/myearrings/bones/broken-rib_zpsfc49f0d2.jpg
Michele

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Michele -- Yes, i noticed that when those came in! Healed bones are actually mentioned as such in my book, because they have their own special meanings. I have even seen broken and healed Raccoon Penis Bones!
catherine yronwode

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm

That is really cool Michele! Thank you for sharing that with us! :-D
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 pm

My python rib went astray, a while back. Does the shop have those sorts of odd bones available?
Two-Headed Doctor

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Doctor Hob- In the Herbs, Roots, Minerals Page there is a listing for Snake Rib but that's all it says.
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks, Papa Newt. I guess I overlooked that.
Two-Headed Doctor

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:43 pm

You're welcome. :-)
Thank you, St. Expedite!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Yep, we only had the one dead Python. These others are from assorted smaller and otehr snakes. If we get in Pyrthon again, it will be listed as such.

Some of these bones are not easy to find, and sources are often word-of-mouth. The same goes for our Tarantula Sheds -- we either have 'em or we don't! Right now we do.
catherine yronwode

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Bummer.

I may have to chastize the house goblins for absconding with that rib bone...

Thanks, Miss cat. I'll keep an eye out for their return.
Two-Headed Doctor

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 am

Papa Newt wrote:That is really cool Michele! Thank you for sharing that with us! :-D

You're welcome! I asked for the longest bone and the shortest bone they had. The break explains why it was the shortest.
Michele

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am

Doctor Hob wrote:Bummer.

I may have to chastize the house goblins for absconding with that rib bone...

Thanks, Miss cat. I'll keep an eye out for their return.

I bought a wolf vertebrae at a workshop. My dog got a hold of it, but I rescued it before it was totally eaten and planned to use it in a cautionary blog post. I put it up in a higher place, but when I went to photograph it for the post, it was gone. He is a smart dog and apparently figured out how to get it when I wasn't around to keep an eye on him. Of course house goblins are my fall back explanation.

Actually, I have found that bones that don't fit well in my set tend to wander off. Not totally disappear, but they seem to get left behind when I put the set away, or stay in the container when I throw, or routinely jump off the reading surface. I don't know how well the python rib was working for you but maybe it wasn't a good fit.
Michele

BewitchingBelle

Re Hurkeys eulogy

Unread post by BewitchingBelle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Cat- you posted a beautiful and informative eulogy for hurkey . There is a New Orleans virtual cemetery on Facebook that I subscribe to. Would you allow portions of or the entire post to be posted there?? With appropriate credit of course.

Thanks

Bb

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:51 pm

--Michele,

I don't have pets, just kids, and they know not to mess with my bones.

I know why the rib went away...I was reading about whether or not to perform a binding on someone, on behalf of a client. The answer was apparently "No". Never saw the rib again.

Them's the breaks, I guess.
Two-Headed Doctor

Miriam17

Unread post by Miriam17 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 am

While looking at the list of zoological curios I saw human tooth listed and it had me thinking about the use of my own baby tooth/teeth that I have stored away. Is using ones own tooth/teeth appropriate, acceptable. The thought seems appealing to me for some reason.

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Mon May 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Miriam17 wrote:While looking at the list of zoological curios I saw human tooth listed and it had me thinking about the use of my own baby tooth/teeth that I have stored away. Is using ones own tooth/teeth appropriate, acceptable. The thought seems appealing to me for some reason.

What would you have the baby tooth mean in the reading?
Michele

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Thu May 16, 2013 6:56 pm

I am going to ask for the next tooth that is taken from my head so I can use it in my bone reading set. You read my mind, Miriam17!
Joseph Magnuson

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Sat May 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Joseph Magnuson wrote:I am going to ask for the next tooth that is taken from my head so I can use it in my bone reading set. You read my mind, Miriam17!

What would you have it mean? Baby teeth seem different to me suggesting cutting your teeth, moving into a new phase of life, etc.
Michele

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 am

Yes, Michele, that is what I was thinking. I also like to do many readings with the new items mixed into the usual and then, after som etime, divine what they mean as they appear in those early readings.
Joseph Magnuson

Miriam17

Unread post by Miriam17 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Certain things call out to me to be used so like Joseph in a way, I'll divine their meaning through use. I have a general idea of what it may mean (cutting your teeth, moving into a new phase of life) but until I have read with it a few times I'm not 100% sure.

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Sun May 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Miriam17 wrote:Certain things call out to me to be used so like Joseph in a way, I'll divine their meaning through use. I have a general idea of what it may mean (cutting your teeth, moving into a new phase of life) but until I have read with it a few times I'm not 100% sure.

I understand. I find the pieces that call out to me usually work best. I have tried a buffalo tooth after getting a great reading by someone who used it to good effect, but it never spoke to me at all. I ended up moving it to the box of pieces that didn't fit for me after a few readings.

Michele
Michele

Jibrael

Unread post by Jibrael » Sun May 26, 2013 10:20 am

I've been working with the bones and the book since last fall, and am so grateful for it. I've read Tarot for several years, even teaching courses at a local metaphysical store, but the bones are a whole new ball game.

Here in West Virginia, I grew up hearing stories about old folks in the hills who read bones, usually chicken or possum bones. Sadly, if anyone in my own family did this, they've since passed on and taken the secret with them. But when I read my bones, I always call to those hill folk in my blood, and feel that I'm being true to their spirit, even if I can't be sure what exactly they did. I haven't touched my cards in some time. When I need guidance from the spirits, I go straight to the bones :)

Since getting my bone book and bone set last fall, new bones have come to me in strange ways, so my set has been gradually getting larger, and with each new bone I add I swear it gets stronger. Also, I recently was gifted some cowrie shells, so I've been trying my hand at the obi divination also discussed in the book, and have also had success.

Thanks again for this great resource, and for bringing this wonderful practice into my life <3
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Mon May 27, 2013 8:10 pm

I have been working with the bones for about the same amount of time and much of what you say here rings true for me as well. Thanks for sharing it.

Michele
Michele

Patrick711

Obi Divination Questions and Answers

Unread post by Patrick711 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:02 am

I learned about Obi divination about a million years ago, while I was still in grad school, and I used it to good effect for several years. Then I became nervous that I was stepping on cultural toes, appropriating some aspect of African culture. I have no claim to as an American of European descent, and stopped.

I just read cat's new book on bone divination, and her description of Obi is so much clearer and more practical than what I learned lo those many years ago. I want to go back to it. But I'm still concerned that I might be appropriating a culture inappropriately.

I suppose what I'm asking is, how do I do this in a culturally sensitive and respectful manner? I know that traditionally certain readings require offerings to particular Orishas, but -- I'm not always qualified to make such offerings, or aware of how to do it properly. Moreover, the Orishas do not figure largely in my spirituality.

That's just one issue with this system that I seem to rub against.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Obi Divination Questions and Answers

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:57 am

It has been my understanding that while obi carries religious connotations in some parts of Africa and the African diaspora, it is widely practiced in Africa in various cultures and with various items, and its use is not consistently considered to be a sacred initiatic secret. Unlike the system of diloggun shell reading, which does require permission and training from lineage-holders, in some parts of Africa the system we call obi (which has different names in different cultures) is a quick-and-easy system that anyone can use.

See, for instance, page 42 of the book, where it is explained that the Tsonga people consider the "nutshell oracle" as they call obi, to be "childish" when compared to their preferred hakata tablet system -- and hakata refers to no deified spirits, only to the social positions of old woman, old man, young woman, and young man.
catherine yronwode

Patrick711

Re: Obi Divination Questions and Answers

Unread post by Patrick711 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:04 am

Thank you. That clarifies its role and cultural import. I try to be careful about stepping on other cultures' sacred traditions, so it helps to know that it's considered a sort of public-domain oracle.

archaichoney

Unread post by archaichoney » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi all! I am really digging my bone set I got from Lucky Mojo and the book is of course, super awesome. I've added a few pieces to it over time and I'm looking to add a few newly found additions: a crows wing bone and a squirrel paw. I found the crow along a trail I commute by bike on and it was a perfectly sun bleached whole skeleton. I feel really lucky to have found it!

I'm curious if you guys do anything with a new piece before adding it to your set. Do you just toss it in and see how it does, or do you have a method to introduce it to the rest of your set? I have read here and there on some blogs where people will take a long time before adding a new item to their bone set. Personally, I like to toss it in and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work - the piece will surely let me know if it doesn't want to be there!

I am also really fascinated by the 'possum bone reading described in cat's book. Some day if possible, I'd really like to give that method a go.
HRCC Student #1715
Britton Boyd

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi,

I usually rinse a new piece off in water and/or Florida water, then smudge it in incense with herbs attractive to spirits. In my mind it is a spiritual tool that I want to start from scratch with energy-wise so that it can more easily pick up my energy and the energy of my ancestors. That said...

There is also a case that can be made for using the energy of the animal resident in the bone as-is. So I guess the answer is to do what feels right to you.

I agree with you that a piece will usually let you know if it's not going to work. When I first started my set was constantly changing as I added and took out pieces. But I would say it has settled down now and I don't add anything new very often. When I do I often find that after a few weeks I end up taking it out so I think the set is pretty much where it needs to be. Of course I am always finding cool things that I might want to add someday. Thus I have a pretty full box of extras. But if anything breaks, I am ready!
Michele

Miss Aida

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Hello, Arccaichoney,
You got some TERRIFIC advice from Michelej2!!
GREAT advice!!
Take care

Rev Ken

Unread post by Rev Ken » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

I was just curious. I was reading "Throwing the Bones" and hearing all the different types of mats, and a circle in the dirt. But the question I have is, on average how wide is the circle that you usually use or draw?
Rev Ken
HRCC Graduate #1869G
Court of Pentacles
www.courtofpentacles.com

Miss Aida

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Good Evening, Gunterk,
Well, that's a tough question.
I started out throwing OBI on a smaller mat and had to gradually increase the size because they kept rolling off.
Diameters, etc., were gradually increased until I ended up using an entire beach mat and, once in awhile, they might still roll off!
Yet, I've seen some people throw Obi, or throw bones on just a small mat (the size of a tray table) with success.
So, it just depends on practice. Until you know your bones and how they will behave, it'll be up to you and them.
Have a great evening

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi,

My suede mat is about 23" wide by 29" long. That is the biggest sized rectangle I could get from the piece of hide I bought. A circle of a similar diameter should be work fine.

Michele
Michele

archaichoney

Unread post by archaichoney » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:59 am

I usually rinse a new piece off in water and/or Florida water, then smudge it in incense with herbs attractive to spirits. In my mind it is a spiritual tool that I want to start from scratch with energy-wise so that it can more easily pick up my energy and the energy of my ancestors.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing your methods Michele :) I like the use of Florida water, something I hadn't considered.
I was just curious. I was reading "Throwing the Bones" and hearing all the different types of mats, and a circle in the dirt. But the question I have is, on average how wide is the circle that you usually use or draw?
I'm currently using a 12 inch fiber mat made of hyacinth. My set is still on the small side, so it does me just fine. Someday I would love to get a goat hide mat.
HRCC Student #1715
Britton Boyd

Miss Aida

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Hello, Again Gunterk,
I also forgot to tell you what I do:
I spray my Mat with Florida water (just put it in a spray bottle) to get rid of negative energies. And then bless with it 7-11 Holy oil to bring in all the good energies
Just food for thought....
www.luckymojo.com/floridakanangawater.html
www.luckymojo.com/711holytypeoil.html
Have a great evening!

Michele Jackson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Michele Jackson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Goo advice Miss Aida! I put some Hoyt's Cologne on my fingers and run it through my bone basket as well every once in a while. They seem to like it.
Michele

aarondye

Unread post by aarondye » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:29 am

I just received the Sangoma-Style Bone Reading Set and the accompanying Throwing the Bones book, but I have a question: I'm still a bit unclear on how exactly to cast the bones on a cloth. There was mention of drawing a quincunx on the cloth and a quick discussion of other symbols drawn onto the cloth. So I guess my question is, how do I use the quincunx in regards to bone reading, and what other options are there (that are recommended) for etching on your bone throwing cloth?

Rev Ken

Unread post by Rev Ken » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Thank you all :-)
Rev Ken
HRCC Graduate #1869G
Court of Pentacles
www.courtofpentacles.com

Miss Aida

Unread post by Miss Aida » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:33 pm

aarondye wrote:I just received the Sangoma-Style Bone Reading Set and the accompanying Throwing the Bones book, but I have a question: I'm still a bit unclear on how exactly to cast the bones on a cloth. There was mention of drawing a quincunx on the cloth and a quick discussion of other symbols drawn onto the cloth. So I guess my question is, how do I use the quincunx in regards to bone reading, and what other options are there (that are recommended) for etching on your bone throwing cloth?
Good Evening, Aarondye,
May I suggest that you buy this book for further assistance in your queries? www.luckymojo.com/throwingthebones.html
Many people let spirit guide them to do what they believe it best for the communication process. There are, obviously, may methods. You just need to find what suits you best.
Take care and have a wonderful evening

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Divination Tools, Tarot Cards, Pendulums, Crystal Balls, and Spirit Boards”