Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candle Choices: Shapes & Forms, Colours, Wax Types, Safety

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
orion
Forum Member

Re melt wax and make a new candle

Unread post by orion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm not sure if this is covered any where.
Can the remaining wax from a candle, skull, etc, be remelted to create another candle for the same purpose?

thatgirl
Forum Member

Re: Re melt wax and make a new candle

Unread post by thatgirl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 am

As deployment of remains is usually a part of the work itself, this is typically not done in hoodoo. I have made candles out of remaining wax before, but that really depends on the situation and your reason for not disposing of it or keeping it near by. For instance, with glass encased candles that have gone out, I remove wax to burn as a separate candle and relight. But I'll almost always burn another behind if it didn't produce a quick result of some sort.

The best I can tell you is to follow your gut (or divination) and deal with it case by case. There are times when an objective is met before the candle even burns out. And if you still have the wax, and it's something you want to keep going, I don't see the harm in making another candle out of it unless it's something you want to keep around in a packet.

Even in the case of a skull candle, to me, it would depend on the situation, the way the candle behaved, and so forth.

Brother_Brad
HRCC Student
Re: Candle Choices: Shapes & Forms, Colours, Wax Types, Safety

Unread post by Brother_Brad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:54 pm

1) Would using a soy wax based candle have any different affect on a conjure verses a paraffin candle or beeswax candle?

2) When using a candle to petition a saint for help is it best to avoid scented candles or can I use scented candles to help keep my mental space in the right "vibration" on getting the help I need?

3) A votive can be any candle used when making a vow, so can i use votive candles for negative work as well if the vow I'm making is one of revenge? Or when it comes to the actual revenge work I should use different candles?

Your views very much appreciated!

Brother_Brad, #1846

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:51 am

Brother Brad,

1) Candles are also made of tallow and oil lamps can be fueled by many different fuels. Your choices will be based in cultural, economic, and aesthetic preferences, not in any resumed "betterness" of one fuel over another.

2) All lucky Mojo Saint Candles come pre-dressed with scented oils. If you want them unscented, we can send them that way, of course, but that would have to be a special notice on your order. You can also buy the scented oils for the saints for use on plain, free-standing candles.

3) We sell black votive candles, and a vow of revenge is definitely a type of vow, but my book, "The Art of Hoodoo Candle magic" explains that although the word "votive' means "vow", the term "votive" is now generally used in the candle-making trade to describe a SIZE of candle, not the candle's use. This book may be of use to you in your work:

BOO-GRI-AHCM
The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic by catherine yronwode and Mikhail Strabo

$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode

TrynaKnowNGrow
Forum Member

Unread post by TrynaKnowNGrow » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this question. I want to purchase the 'Peaceful Home' bottle spell (The pretty painted one) and/or Vigil candle. I'm wondering what needs to be done with the bottle and glass that the vigil candle is in, after the candles have burned out? Do they have to be buried like other ritual remains? Or, could they be used over to burn another candle for the same purpose in ongoing work? They're just too pretty. If you could kindly point me in the direction of the answer to this question, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Miss Phoenix
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Phoenix » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 pm

MamaMojo, it is totally acceptable to use the glass for another candle of ongoing work. This is a great use of the glass and eco-friendly. I would not recommend using the glass for a candle spell of a different working. When the spell working is done you can dispose of the glass by recycling it. This is a simple disposal process and marks the end of the working.

Best of luck!
Miss Phoenix
MissionaryIndependent.org/readings.html
Hoodoo Psychics: 1-888-4-HOODOO

TrynaKnowNGrow
Forum Member

Unread post by TrynaKnowNGrow » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Miss Phoenix wrote:MamaMojo, it is totally acceptable to use the glass for another candle of ongoing work. This is a great use of the glass and eco-friendly. I would not recommend using the glass for a candle spell of a different working. When the spell working is done you can dispose of the glass by recycling it. This is a simple disposal process and marks the end of the working.

Best of luck!
Miss Phoenix, you've been very helpful, and I sincerely appreciate it.
Many thanks.
Could you kindly let me know if it would be acceptable to actually KEEP the bottle (forever), since I would ALWAYS want a peaceful home and never want to mark the end of a spell of it's "genre"? Use it over and over to "refresh" the spell from time to time, by lighting the candle over again with prayer?
The idea FEELS right to me, but, nothing's safe to assume. Any ideas?
Thanks very much again in advance,

konstanta
Forum Member
used wrong colored candle - what now?

Unread post by konstanta » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:27 am

Hi, i used two white figural candles while doing a 7-day separation spell instead of black. Do you think the outcome will be influenced by this?Thank you in advance.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: used wrong colored candle - what now?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:53 am

White (undyed) is the "universal" paraffin candle wax colour and is used by many when other, more symbolic colours, are unavailable, so don't worry.
catherine yronwode

Miss Phoenix
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Phoenix » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 am

TrynaKnowNGrow wrote:Could you kindly let me know if it would be acceptable to actually KEEP the bottle (forever), since I would ALWAYS want a peaceful home and never want to mark the end of a spell of it's "genre"? Use it over and over to "refresh" the spell from time to time, by lighting the candle over again with prayer?
If this is a spell that you plan to continually work over and over again it makes complete sense to keep the bottle.

Best of luck!
Miss Phoenix

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator
Re: used wrong colored candle - what now?

Unread post by MissMichaele » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 am

konstanta wrote:Hi, i used two white figural candles while doing a 7-day separation spell instead of black. Do you think the outcome will be influenced by this?Thank you in advance.
As Miss cat said below, white is the "universal" candle color. White (or off-white) is also the original candle color. Candle and lamp work is thousands of years old; brightly colored candles date back only a few decades -- and the dyes that make them possible only to the American Civil War.

Best of luck,

Miss Michaele
Forum Moderator - Member of AIRR

konstanta
Forum Member

Unread post by konstanta » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 am

Dear Miss Michaele and Catherine, thank you for your help, definitely makes sense. all the best.

kittymoon214
Newly Registered

Advice on which vigil candle to choose

Unread post by kittymoon214 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some advice... I am going to be purchasing a vigil candle and having Lucky Mojo perform a candle service for me but I am unsure as to which candle I should use. I looked through them all and read the descriptions but would like some more opinions. I am having this candle service performed for my sister who is experiencing some issues with anxiety and panic attacks as well as some symptoms of postpartum depression. I would like to help restore peace to her mind and life in any way that I can; this being one way. I've considered the Blessing glass vigil candle, the Healing Miracle glass vigil candle, or the Peaceful Home glass vigil candle. I would like to choose just one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:40 am

Hi kittymoon214,

If you have to choose just one candle, then I think that the Healing Miracle would be an appropriate choice. Do also make sure that your sister is getting the professional psychological support or community support she needs to help her through these issues as they are serious ones.
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

greengoddess
Newly Registered

Unread post by greengoddess » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am

If I were to do a money ritual/ spell could I use a green candle along with a gold candle and to add to it for protection what other candle could I use or do I even use another candle for protection?

kittymoon214
Newly Registered

Unread post by kittymoon214 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Thank you aura for your suggestion. My sister is receiving medical care and community counselling at this time as well; I just want to seek additional help for her through a candle service.

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:03 am

Hi kittymoon214,
you could also place a prayer request for your sister at the Crystal Silence League in tandem with your candle service: that way lots of people would be praying for her recovery. You can do that here: http://www.crystalsilenceleague.org/

greengoddess,
please con't double-post: it creates unnecessary work for the forum moderators leaving them less time to anser your questions.
For your money ritual, green and gold are good choices. Dress them with money oils like Wealthy Way, Prosperity and Money Stay With Me. To protect your money, you could add a white protection candle or you could also circle the two candles with a ring of basil and thyme. No evil can go where basil has been and it's also good for money and success. Thyme is protective and makes money grow.
Aura Laforest

theusurper2
Forum Member

Unread post by theusurper2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:45 pm

I do not have at hand a black candle but I have navy blue , my question is if I can use the navy blue instead the black one until I order the candles.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Hello, Theuserper,
I personally wouldn't do that. Different colors have different vibrational energies=messages.
Sorry
Take care.

theusurper2
Forum Member

Unread post by theusurper2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:50 am

Can I use white?

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:29 am

The answer doesn't changer because you choose a different colour theusurper2: it's still a different color and still has a different energy. If you have nothing else, white can be used as a ''do-it-all'' (which is I assume why you are suggesting white) - but it isn't ideal, particularly if you intend to do crossing work with it. If you look at the meanings for the colors on the informational page here: http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#colour, you'll see that the ascriptions for white and black are pretty much antithetical: thus the substitution is less than ideal.
Aura Laforest

Miss Phoenix
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Phoenix » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:07 am

theusurper2, what is the working that you are doing? Having this information might be able to help us determine a more suitable alternative.
Miss Phoenix

theusurper2
Forum Member

Unread post by theusurper2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Thank you for the answer, well I'm doing the break down and vinegar jar. I know I can shake the jar without the candle but I feel more confident with the candle.

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:34 am

Hi theusurper2: really do try and get some black candles for the work then.
Aura Laforest

theusurper2
Forum Member

Unread post by theusurper2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:15 am

Thank you very much. I knew the right is black but it never hurt to ask.

QematetSau
Forum Member

Custom-made items

Unread post by QematetSau » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:38 am

Hi

I have been looking everywhere for a retailer that sells peculiar figural candles but have not find one. I need a few candles in the form of feet. Can LM supply something like that?

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Custom-made items

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:56 am

Here is the link to the candles that Lucky Mojo sells. http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

QematetSau
Forum Member

Re: Custom-made items

Unread post by QematetSau » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:59 pm

jwmcclin wrote:Here is the link to the candles that Lucky Mojo sells. http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html
Thanks! I'm familiar with the candles at LM. I just wanted to know if LM could make a custom-made candle. :-)

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello, QematetSau,
Just call the shop and ask them.
I have seen other folks make similar requests and Lucky Mojo helped them
The number is: (707) 887-1524
Take care

SilverRose
HRCC Graduate
Candle problem

Unread post by SilverRose » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:56 am

I want to do another cleansing, in our own home, and I always leave a tealight candle burning in each room I've completed the cleansing in. I did this for my daughter's home and it worked beautifully. My problem is, I now use oxygen at night and have an oxygen tank in my bedroom. Although it's fine to light a candle in the other rooms of our house, I cannot have a flame, of any kind, in my bedroom. Is there an alternative, to the candle, that I can use in my bedroom? I love the feel I get, when I finish the cleansing in a room and have the candle burning behind me as I leave the room. I was told, specifically, NOT to have fire of any kind in my room in case the tank starts to leak. Thanks in advance for you help.

Helen
HRCC Student #979 G

MaryBee
Forum Moderator
Re: Problem with lighting a candle in one room

Unread post by MaryBee » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 am

Hi Helen:

Why not use an LED candle? You can dress it with some cleansing oil. I know it's not "traditional" but you do what you have to do :)

Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

SilverRose
HRCC Graduate
Re: Problem with lighting a candle in one room

Unread post by SilverRose » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 pm

What a ditz I am! I hadn't thought of that, Mary Bee. Thank you! I have several, different sizes, so it shouldn't be hard to compromise.
HRCC Student #979 G

MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MaryBee » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:47 am

You're welcome; let us know how it turns out :)

Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

Sillver9
Forum Member

Unread post by Sillver9 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:02 am

Are red male and female candles (Adam and Eve) ever used for psychological purposes other than sex? I was thinking a red candle might be good to use in a Crucible of Courage, vitality, or anger type of working. I know the white ones are recommended for spiritual purposes but does anyone here ever use red for this type of "spiritual purpose"? I think the red seems appropriate but I wouldn't want sex to get mixed up in this. Thank you.

Miss Phoenix
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Phoenix » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 am

Sillver9, yes you can use figural candles for other purposes than love work. They come in real handy. Often people will use skull candles for the type of work that you are describing, but an Adam figural candle could also work.
Miss Phoenix

Sillver9
Forum Member

Unread post by Sillver9 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 am

Thank you, Miss Phoenix.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:47 pm

SilverRose, are electric fragrance warmers OK? You could use one of those with a little Hindu Grass Oil in water, or whatever you prefer for your cleansing.

Miss Michaele

emmylou
Newly Registered

Unread post by emmylou » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:19 am

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help in choosing a candle. I emailed but they said they could not recommend and that I should post here for advice.
Basically me and my ex broke up last month, we have a daughter together and there is love and constant communication, I am having some work done on him, and I cant tell of it is affecting him as he isn't showing it is. Can someone help me please :)

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 pm

Hello, Emmylou,
re you talking abut having a candle set for you on the Lucky Mojo altar? www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandleservices.html
You could have them set a Return to me candle and a reconciliation candle.
Then, they will tell you how the candle looks (after it is burned) and what further work needs to be done.
If you already have an AIRR Member or a Hoodoo Psychic performing spells for you, you can ask the worker what the results of the candle burn is.
Hope this helps.
Wishing you the best

emmylou
Newly Registered

Unread post by emmylou » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:59 pm

Miss Aida wrote:Hello, Emmylou,
re you talking abut having a candle set for you on the Lucky Mojo altar? http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandleservices.html
You could have them set a Return to me candle and a reconciliation candle.
Then, they will tell you how the candle looks (after it is burned) and what further work needs to be done.
If you already have an AIRR Member or a Hoodoo Psychic performing spells for you, you can ask the worker what the results of the candle burn is.
Hope this helps.
Wishing you the best
No i have another couple of root workers working, would that matter if it's not the AIRR ones?
I have a feeling he is in contact with other women too, what candle suits that problem.
Also the reason we broke is because we had been arguing alot come to end of relationship and he is under alot of pressure and stress with work, he is working too much so that contributed to the break up also?

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:10 am

emmylou wrote:No i have another couple of root workers working, would that matter if it's not the AIRR ones?
That's a whole topic in itself. I will say that all the workers in AIRR are gifted and ethical, but -- not all the gifted and ethical rootworkers are in AIRR.

This page will teach you how to recognize dishonest workers:
www.luckymojo.com/blackgypsies.html
I have a feeling he is in contact with other women too, what candle suits that problem.
Separation or Break Up.

Good luck,

Miss Michaele

csm18921
Forum Member

Love spell Pillar, in candle holder

Unread post by csm18921 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi, I am new to this site, although I have been reading it for some time. I just have a few questions, about a candle I am burning.

I started a love spell candle last week. It is a pillar, but for fear of burning my house down, I put it in a glass holder. It has about an inch and a half to go, but the wax is all over the inside of the glass, toward the top. Is this normal, or did I do the wrong thing by placing it in this style holder? Not sure if its the anticipation of it finishing and im over analyzing it, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any help
M.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate
Re: Love spell Pillar, in candle holder

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Hello, csm18921 ,
Yes, that ALWAYS happens to me when I put them in an oversized holder.
Don't worry about it. You'll just have more symbols to interpret!

MartKeyb56789
Forum Member
Negative meanings of candle colors

Unread post by MartKeyb56789 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:21 am

Hello to everyone. I have a question that I'm having a hard time getting answered. I read Ray Malbrough's book on working with the Saints. He mentioned using the negative influences of the candles, and said that it was easy to utilize by pouring black wax on top of a plain colored candle. If you want to use the negative energy of green, say for a breakup spell, you'd pour black wax on top of a green candle. At least that is what I inferred when I read the book. Has anyone ever done that? I'm not a candle maker so I'm not sure if it's a complicated procedure, or if I'm making it harder than it has to be. I could really use some advice on this one.

Thanks in advance!

JayDee
HRCC Student
Re: Negative meanings of candle colors

Unread post by JayDee » Fri May 09, 2014 8:28 am

LM sells a product called reversing candles and those ones will be half black and then red so you could use it to reverse bad luck in love on to someone else or take it off you depending how you burn it. I am not sure about that I never read that on here but im sure someone else could assist. If you wanted to use the negative part of a candle simply use the proper oil and petition for that purpose. Like if using green for jealousy . you could always stick with a black candle dressed with any oil you want for a specific purpose with the proper oil
Formerly known as J82; New updated name!

MartKeyb56789
Forum Member

Unread post by MartKeyb56789 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks for the reply! :) I'm not really looking to reverse anything, so that's not really what I'm looking for. I asked because there are some rituals in the book I mentioned that have rather specific suggestions. While I realize that I can always substitute items, I firmly believe that you can't "break the rules until you know the rules." I'd much rather follow the recipe first and then adjust as necessary. That's how I like to experiment and learn from my work. Thanks again for your help.

If anyone has any experience with the book "The Magical Power of the Saints," then I'd love to hear from you.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Fri May 09, 2014 2:40 pm

MartKey, I know you just wanted a yes-or-no answer, but sometimes I think God is in the tangents :) ...
MartKeyb56789 wrote:Hello to everyone. I have a question that I'm having a hard time getting answered. I read Ray Malbrough's book on working with the Saints.
That's toward the end of chapter 4, "Working the Candles."
He mentioned using the negative influences of the candles, and said that it was easy to utilize by pouring black wax on top of a plain colored candle. If you want to use the negative energy of green, say for a breakup spell, you'd pour black wax on top of a green candle. At least that is what I inferred when I read the book. Has anyone ever done that?
As j82 said, people have been doing reversal work with half-black candles for years, and you can buy black-and-red, black-and-green and black-and-white ones ready-made. Black-and-red reverse love jinxes, of course, and black-and-green reverse money jinxes, and you can use black-and-white for everything else.

Or you can do as Malbrough said; I don't see anything wrong with it -- it ought to work.

An old-fashioned way to turn a single-colored candle into a reversing candle -- and this is from before colored vigil lights were readily available -- is to melt a small black candle on a baking sheet (with sides!) and sprinkle the wax with appropriate herbs. Then you roll the candle in it. It takes less than a minute for the wax to set up, and then you can roll the candle one or two more times for a nice, thick, dark layer which shows none of the underlying color.

And then there's Henri Gamache, whose Master Book of Candle Burning contains a section on "PERVERTED SYMBOLISM or BLACK ART in CANDLE MAGIC." Rather than adding black wax to the commonly available brightly colored candles, he simply explains, "Whereas in True Fire Worship [positive or morally upright candle magic] bright colored candles are used -- and in the lighter shades, in Black Ritual [enemy work or cursing] dark shades are used. For example, muddy brown-green, greenish yellow, purple red, very dark brown, midnight blue, black, etc." He assigns unpleasant attributes to only a few of these dark or muddy colors, which you will find strewn throughout his list of "Popularly Accepted Symbolism or Vibratory Influences of Colors." They include:
  • Greenish yellow: Jealousy, Sickness, Cowardice, Anger or Discord.
  • Dark Blue -- ACID, Depressing, Moody, Unfortunate, Subduing.
Gamache was writing in the years just before colored vigil lights became widely available. If you can get one of the older editions of his book -- I'm not sure about the latest editions -- all the illustrations are of tapers and figural candles.
I'm not a candle maker so I'm not sure if it's a complicated procedure, or if I'm making it harder than it has to be. I could really use some advice on this one.
Melting a small black candle to pour onto the top of a vigil light isn't too hard. Rolling a taper in black wax is a little more difficult, but requires nimbleness more than arcane knowledge.

Much easier, though, is buying a reversing candle, which is what most workers do.

Best of luck,

Miss Michaele

MartKeyb56789
Forum Member

Unread post by MartKeyb56789 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Thank you MissMichaele for the detailed response. It definitely helped.
As j82 said, people have been doing reversal work with half-black candles for years, and you can buy black-and-red, black-and-green and black-and-white ones ready-made. Black-and-red reverse love jinxes, of course, and black-and-green reverse money jinxes, and you can use black-and-white for everything else.
I am definitely aware of the role reversal candles play, but when I think reversal work, I think undoing what has been done to me spiritually. I'm thinking more along the lines of cursing or hexing. I have a situation in which I know I haven't been crossed spiritually, so a reversal candle doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If it doesn't make sense to me, then I'm already sabotaging my own work. :o
in Black Ritual [enemy work or cursing] dark shades are used. For example, muddy brown-green, greenish yellow, purple red, very dark brown, midnight blue, black, etc."
I've seen this before, and I can say that I've had a hell of a time finding these sorts of colors. I remember many years ago doing a breakup ritual that required a greenish-yellow candle. That was impossible to find. I accidentally had such candles. A couple of green and yellow candles I had, had started to melt in the Florida heat. The colors ran into each other and so I got lucky in that way. :lol:
Melting a small black candle to pour onto the top of a vigil light isn't too hard. Rolling a taper in black wax is a little more difficult, but requires nimbleness more than arcane knowledge.
Melting a small black candle is what I was originally thinking when I first started thinking about it. I like working with the 7-day jar candles and that was the only thing that seemed to make sense. What sort of made me second guess that idea was something I saw online. Someone had said that you should never burn the bottom of a candle to get it set in it's holder. I read it once, and I guess it stuck. I'm sure I was just overreacting.

You both were helpful in answering my question. Thanks for that!

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Fri May 09, 2014 6:43 pm

the half black half red, green or white are not just used when cursed by someone. Say you are having a hard time with money you can use one to reverse your luck with money, or love etc. Cat talks about burning them at the same time on a nail as well to clear it. Example I have a hard time making dates workout so I could burn the double candle to change that by burning the black then the red. dressed with the proper oil. I have read the book you are talking about several years ago, I never found an issue with the "color" of my candle as long as I understood the purpose and worked it with the proper oil and herbs in that fashion. In his book he is also teaching about using 7 day candles and placing them in runs with prayers. Some of his info is not accurate and reference LM site and their description of a candle before using. the author of the book is a know Wiccan author and much of his writings reference that. You can burn a candle to hold it on top of something say a honey jar melt the bottom and hold it till it sticks, or a break up jar melt the candle till it sticks. You can also burn a candle in the mouth of a bottle letting it burn out..all are acceptable methods.
Formerly known as J82; New updated name!

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 pm

MartKeyb56789 wrote:
  • MissMichaele" wrote:

in Black Ritual [enemy work or cursing] dark shades are used. For example, muddy brown-green, greenish yellow, purple red, very dark brown, midnight blue, black, etc."
I've seen this before, and I can say that I've had a hell of a time finding these sorts of colors. I remember many years ago doing a breakup ritual that required a greenish-yellow candle. That was impossible to find. I accidentally had such candles. A couple of green and yellow candles I had, had started to melt in the Florida heat. The colors ran into each other and so I got lucky in that way. :lol:
Hmm... If you had a rich emerald green and a bright, sunny yellow, they might melt together into a rather appetizing lime green; not suggestive of cowardice, to my mind. But if you had a black or brown taper in there, that color would be a mess!

Anyhow, the reason I mentioned taper candles is that they come in a much wider range of colors than vigil lights do, even nowadays, as a little google-fu will show you.

I see where you (and Malbrough) are going with this: using the other candle color to fine-tune the work. It makes a lot of sense, and even more so in Gamache's time -- his spells call for nothing more than condition oil on a candle of the right color.
Melting a small black candle is what I was originally thinking when I first started thinking about it. I like working with the 7-day jar candles and that was the only thing that seemed to make sense.
I would go with rolling a taper in black wax -- essentially, a homemade reversible candle -- and burning it in sections.

Now, I see that we have both been making the common mistake and calling the colored-on-top, black-on-the-bottom "reversing candles." These are double-action candles, because they 1) bounce back evil and 2) bring in good. The red candles with a black outer core are called reversible or reversing candles, and they are used for reversing and breaking jinxes.
What sort of made me second guess that idea was something I saw online. Someone had said that you should never burn the bottom of a candle to get it set in it's holder. I read it once, and I guess it stuck. I'm sure I was just overreacting.
Never heard that before. The only reason I would object to it is you can get soot on the bottom of the candle from holding it in an open flame. Besides, it's easier to drip melting wax from the tip of the candle into the candlestick and insert the candle while the wax is still liquid.

Thanks for an interesting discussion :)

Miss Michaele

chelebelle9
HRCC Student

Unread post by chelebelle9 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 am

Hello. Happy Mother's Day ladies. I apologize in advance if my question has been asked/answered before. I have read throughout the pages but didn't quite find the answer I am looking for. I am new to hoodoo and the forum and still learning so please bare with me. This is what I found on LM..."Typically, votive candles are burned as the prelude to or result of a conditional vow: The petitioner asks a favour of a deity, saint, or spirit and offers recompense (an ex voto) if the wish is granted. Under these circumstances, votive candles may be used either as inducements, as offerings, or as both. " I would like to know if I can use votive candles for any kind of work as long as the appropriate color is used? I am starting off slow, working with a honey jar, burning smaller candles with oils and incense after studying a couple of Ms. Cat's books. I guess my question is does a votive have to be used only when petitioning a deity or saint or can it be used for any kind of Hoodoo candle magic. For example, I burned a green votive dressed with money draw oil and burned attraction incense. And advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator
Re: Purple candle?

Unread post by MissMichaele » Sat May 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Turnsteel wrote:
  • Trickster wrote,
    White candles can be substituted for any other color candle in a spell.
Really now? Can't really see crossing someone with a white candle lol.
I once hotfooted someone with a white candle -- right into rehab! -- but you better believe I had some hot, sharp herbs on it, too. Color helps, but not all workers place equal reliance on it.
While I suppose that you could use white for most spells its very much traditional in hoodoo to use color symbolism,
Yes, it is; but the tradition only dates back to the American Civil War; that's when inexpensive aniline dyes first began to be used in candles. Hoodoo itself, of course, is much older than that.
thus we would use red for love or lust work, black for enemy work, or as the original poster plans on use purple for controlling.
And, just for good measure, the color attributions we now use did not take hoodoo by storm until the publication of Henri Gamache's Master Book of Candle Burning. In 1942!
I'm sorry but personally I don't believe you can just swap a white for purple in a commanding spell.
If your experience has taught you so, I certainly won't argue. Thousands of people have found these color associations to be effective. I've had to do without them sometimes, and done effective work.

Now, to the original poster's question: Can you replace a purple candle with a figural candle?

I say, buy a small purple candle and a figural candle, and drip purple wax over it. Conflict resolved :)

Miss Michaele

MartKeyb56789
Forum Member

Unread post by MartKeyb56789 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:40 pm

the half black half red, green or white are not just used when cursed by someone. Say you are having a hard time with money you can use one to reverse your luck with money, or love etc. Cat talks about burning them at the same time on a nail as well to clear it. Example I have a hard time making dates workout so I could burn the double candle to change that by burning the black then the red. dressed with the proper oil.
j82, while that makes sense, that's not what I'm trying to do. So this type of work will not help me unfortunately. I really am trying to tap into the negative energy of the colors, not to banish, but to bring.
I have read the book you are talking about several years ago, I never found an issue with the "color" of my candle as long as I understood the purpose and worked it with the proper oil and herbs in that fashion. In his book he is also teaching about using 7 day candles and placing them in runs with prayers. Some of his info is not accurate and reference LM site and their description of a candle before using.
The phrase "One man's trash is another man's treasure" comes to mind here. With all the varying systems that are out there, there are bound to be some differences, so I can't see that his information isn't accurate, it's just different. This lifestyle is as much about belief as it is about certain truths. Another thing here is that the colors help as a focal point, so if I go into it knowing what the color means, that may help me to focus on what I'm trying to do. The truth of the matter is that we don't need any of the things that we use to make changes in our lives, but we aren't advanced enough to really do it successfully. We don't really need the candles or the incense or any of the ritual, but it helps guide us and give us clear focus on what we're doing. At least, that's how I see it. Anything to help me sharpen my focus will help me in manifesting the changes I am working toward.
the author of the book is a know Wiccan author and much of his writings reference that.
Yeah, you can see where he leans a little Wiccan, but I appreciated the idea of introducing the negative influence of the colors. If you do a search online, you invariably come up with Wiccan websites that talk about only the positive traits of colors. And then you are always bombarded with the Wiccan Rede. I think much of his writing was devoid of a bias toward one faith or the other, but it's clear what his roots are.

I appreciate your response and insight. Thank you!

MartKeyb56789
Forum Member

Unread post by MartKeyb56789 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:45 pm

MissMichaele wrote:
I see where you (and Malbrough) are going with this: using the other candle color to fine-tune the work. It makes a lot of sense, and even more so in Gamache's time -- his spells call for nothing more than condition oil on a candle of the right color.
That is precisely what I mean. Fine tuning the work!
Now, I see that we have both been making the common mistake and calling the colored-on-top, black-on-the-bottom "reversing candles." These are double-action candles, because they 1) bounce back evil and 2) bring in good. The red candles with a black outer core are called reversible or reversing candles, and they are used for reversing and breaking jinxes.
Makes beautiful sense now.
Thanks for an interesting discussion :)
Yes, it has been an interesting discussion. I appreciate being able to talk to people who seem informed about their beliefs. Sharing is caring after all. :)

Shantilly Lace

Recycling Lucky Mojo candles

Unread post by Shantilly Lace » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:20 pm

When I burn candles often there is wax left over. I read here somewhere that Miss Cat reuses her candle wax to make more candles. I can't find the thread sorry even though I did a search. I often make candles as a hobby.
What I wanted to know if using this method, instead of loading the candle after being made, can you add the Lucky Mojo Oils/herbs/personal concerns to each separate candle as it is MADE so that it is all through the candle?

I know that I will have to buy more Lucky Mojo candles as wax does get used up, but I'm thinking of the increase in power if you are able to reuse the wax and adding the requirements to each candle. Praying as you prepare each candle with the specific intent of that particular candle while adding specific things to it, I'm thinking it would make that candle quite powerful for that job.

Am I on the right track?

aura
Forum Moderator
Re: Recycling Lucky Mojo candles

Unread post by aura » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:44 am

You can add the oils and herbs to the wax as it's made, just go easy on the oils. For the personal concerns, although they can be included as the candle is made, I still prefer placing it below the candle folded into a petition or name paper since then it can be re-used if needed in future. Once a concern has been encased in wax it's use is pretty final. You also wouldn't want to use the remains of a candle with personal concerns IN it to make a new candle for a different target or client.

And yes, the more candles of a same intention that get re-made, the more potent they can become.
Aura Laforest

Shantilly Lace

Unread post by Shantilly Lace » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:32 am

Thank you Aura.

Of course I wasn't thinking about the personal concern but as for the other items it is good to know.

Love this forum.

Luckyash
Forum Member

Unread post by Luckyash » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:03 am

Hello all,
I have posted in the candle forum a few times before. I have an individual I set lights for. I bought them to be set at MISC. It's been over two weeks since my order, but I called and they said the girl who did the readings on the candles was out on vacation until the 29th, which happens to be today.
I had a follow me boy set on 6/9/2014, then I had a follow me boy and psychic vision candle set for him on 6/16/2014.
After the follow me boy candles were set, I realized that he was responding to my texts more than he ever has in the past. I am also doing a doll baby and honey jar for him, but have ceased the work on the honey jar due to how long I was working on it with little results. I am placing an order with lucky mojo very soon and i've been researching and trying to find the best product for my situation. I was also thinking of getting a reading through paypal, a 10 minute one. Just to see exactly where my feelings are and possibly a glimpse at his so I know exactly what to order. What candle types do you suggest if I want him to obsess over me, think about what i'm doing frequently, and want to be in my presence. I prefer vigil candles, but would be interested in a spell kit as well.

Thank you in advance for your input and help.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Hello, Luckyash,
I would continue that honey jar. They have been known to work slowly but they work.
And here's a thread on what products to use (and candles) to make someone obsessed with you
spells-to-make-someone-desire-me-or-be- ... f7#p149669
Wishing you the very best.
Take care

Zee Rohour
Forum Member

Candle Choices: Shapes & Forms, Colours, Wax Types, Safety

Unread post by Zee Rohour » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:13 am

I understand the concepts about heating something up with pepper, and cleansing with salt. I don't quite understand the idea of blueing something or redding something. Could someone point me the right way on blue vs. red when laying a trick?

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”