Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candle Choices: Shapes & Forms, Colours, Wax Types, Safety

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Candle Choices: Shapes & Forms, Colours, Wax Types, Safety

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 am

Hello, MFear, and welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forum --

I have done this myself, when i only had a pre-labelled Catholic candle around and wanted to use it for a different purpose.

I scraped the paper off with a razor blade and cleaned the glass really well, then i used a Sharpie and metallic Gel-Pens to draw pictures and write what i wanted on the glass. It took some effort to convert the candle, but i had no choice at the time, and it did come out very well.

If you consider it more as a spiritual art project than as a way to save money on candles, i think you will be happy.

Of course, you can always order labelled hoodoo candles, dressed and fixed, from our shop ... :-)

See them here: https://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html#vigil

Good luck.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

MFear

Unread post by MFear » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 am

Thanks.

What do you mean, "it took time to convert the candle?"

You mean getting the paper off? I heard running it over hot water with soap helps and it could me a hot with paper all around it. lol I can do it though.

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 am

Hi MFear,

I'm not Miss cat, but I think she also means drawing and writing on the candle to mark it with your new intentions. So, once you get that paper off with that excellent hot water trick, you'll want to take some time to write (as one example), Money Drawing, then mark it with dollar signs, or draw coins, or whatever makes it *feel* right to you as a Money Drawing 7 Day Candle (or whatever symbols are appropriate for the work you want to use it for).

It's a way of putting your intention into the spell and fixing that candle for your purposes.

I hope that helps!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

Thank you St. Joseph, Michael, & Raphael!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:15 am

MFear --

As a spiritual worker, there's a bit more for it to me than just getting the label off. The process falls under a type of work that folks like me call "re-making a candle."

I described some other forms of remade candles in my book "The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic" -- for instance, melting down some wax to "mend" a broken free-standing candle or carving a free-standing candle to make it into a figural candle.

When doing this kind of work, the procedure is not merely mechanical; one is working on a magical and spiritual level at the same time.

So, in the case of a Catholic candle, there is a spirit attached to that candle. No, it was not placed there by invocation or petition -- it was simply a label glued on by a machine in a facory -- but slight as the connection may be, it is there.

So, let's say it was a brown Saint Anthony candle, for example, and i wished to use it for a secular purpose such as a court case, which also uses brown candles. Before i removed the label, i would address myself briefly and respectfully to Saint Anthony in Catholic terms (and note, i am not a Catholic, but i am a respectful person). I might say,

"Saint Anthony of Padua, beloved friend of Jesus, and supporter of all who stand in need of charity and who petition you for the return of lost loved ones and lost things -- i ask you to release this candle to my own use, for i am in need. I shall not call upon you at this time, i release you from this candle that you may go forth and support those who petition you. Amen."

Then i would scrape off the label.

After that i would burn it plain or (because i am an artist) i would draw my new symbols and writing on the glass with a Sharpie and Gel Pens.
catherine yronwode

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:27 am

Thank you for the further explanation, Miss cat! I was also wondering about whether or not to have a polite chat with the Saint whose label you might be scraping, and this has been super helpful.
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

Thank you St. Joseph, Michael, & Raphael!

Alice Kyteler

Unread post by Alice Kyteler » Sat May 30, 2020 3:49 am

Hello everybody,

1) I would like to know if anybody of you have used black candles to remove negativity or bad stuff. It seems that white color is more linked to this kind of job, but I feel like black could have a removal of negative issues connotation and not just for jinxing or reversing. Excuse me for this question if sounds a bit stupid but I'm new to this.

2) I also would like to know if you have worked on a broken candle or if that's important. I have a candle which I was about to use and it's broken in the middle. I have read just above how Miss Cat says something about mending broken candles.

Thanks everybody
Thank you Saint Jude, glorious Apostle, miracle performer, because you took me back to Jesus.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat May 30, 2020 10:54 am

Alice Kyteler --

1) I use double-action black/red, black/white, black/green candles to remove negativity. I use black candles burned upside down to reverse jinxes.

2) Yep, mending candles is just simple economy and good prcatice.
catherine yronwode

Alice Kyteler

Unread post by Alice Kyteler » Sat May 30, 2020 11:54 pm

Hi Miss Cat,

When you say "burning candles upside down", do you mean to lit the candle on the bottom after put It upside down?. Excuse me if this can sound silly.

Thanks for clarifying!
Thank you Saint Jude, glorious Apostle, miracle performer, because you took me back to Jesus.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:17 pm

Hello Alice Kyteler,

Burning candles upside down means cutting off the tip of the candle (where the exposed wick is) to create a flat surface, turning the candle upside down and carving out a new tip at what was originally the flat base of the candle.

Burn the new tip and let the candle burn down completely to the new base.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Administrator

Alice Kyteler

Unread post by Alice Kyteler » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:51 pm

Wow Miss Athena, thanks.

I've never used a candle this way.

I'm taking a look at LM candle catalogue and the candles look high quality to me. That's the difference between beeswax candle and common ones, which are made normally of paraffinum.

I'm curious about those double action candles.

Starhime13

Unread post by Starhime13 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:33 am

I'm wondering, I see different candle shapes and am wondering what exactly is the purpose of that and does it really affect a spell if you use for ex. A Adam and Eve candle or a person shaped candle ? I know colors of candles affect spells but I'm not familiar with what the people shaped or special shaped candles do . I purchased the candle book but would like a general idea

RisenRaven

Unread post by RisenRaven » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi Starhime,

On the candle page here on Lucky Mojo there’s a section on the symbolism of figural candles. https://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#figural
Risen as in the phoenix.
If I must face the raven, let me be brave.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:52 am

Hello Starhime13,

Many rootworkers consider figural candles to work in a similar fashion as doll babies, in that they can be stuffed with the target's personal concerns and work as a proxy for them. The link given above can provide more information.

RisenRaven

Unread post by RisenRaven » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:40 am

When you baptize a figural candle, be it a person form or skull candle, does burning the candle then release the spirit so you do not need to call the spirit out of it before disposing of the remaining wax?
Risen as in the phoenix.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Hello RisenRaven,

You wouldn't want to call your target's spirit out of the candle unless you wanted to end the spell. Burning it and deploying the wax remains are ways to carry that petition forward for effect on your target. You want their spirit to remain a part of that work for a successful outcome.

RisenRaven

Unread post by RisenRaven » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:44 pm

Oh I see, thank you Miss Athena!
Risen as in the phoenix.

mana

Unread post by mana » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:44 am

I feel drawn to using a red candle to heat up my business sales online. Would there be any problems I'm not seeing.

Moonchild720

Unread post by Moonchild720 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:16 am

Good afternoon, I've recently been burning skull candles for my partner, for two weeks, one the week of the new moon and one leading up to the full moon, and they have worked amazingly. We hadn't talked in a month, this helped bring the way for communication. We have had some good talks but not rushing into anything, just trying to clean up the mess. I know from the full moon to the new moon is all about banishing and removing, is there a candle I can use to help remove negativity, maybe road opener, I didn't want to do anything focused on love just in case it removes the good I've manifested or should I just continue with my skulls... any tips would be great.

Evan Lionhart
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Evan Lionhart » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:47 am

Hi Moonchild720,

Since the relationship sounds like it's moving at a steady and healthy pace, I wouldn't interfere with it too much. It would be like over pruning an already healthy tree.

An Uncrossing vigil is probably in line with the "clean up" you're looking for. You could light it on top of a couple's photo praying for all negativity to love be removed from the relationship.
Evan Lionhart

Thank you St. Christopher • Thank you St. Michael

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”