Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candle Choices: Shapes & Forms, Colours, Wax Types, Safety

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Candle Choices: Shapes & Forms, Colours, Wax Types, Safety

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 am

Hello, MFear, and welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forum --

I have done this myself, when i only had a pre-labelled Catholic candle around and wanted to use it for a different purpose.

I scraped the paper off with a razor blade and cleaned the glass really well, then i used a Sharpie and metallic Gel-Pens to draw pictures and write what i wanted on the glass. It took some effort to convert the candle, but i had no choice at the time, and it did come out very well.

If you consider it more as a spiritual art project than as a way to save money on candles, i think you will be happy.

Of course, you can always order labelled hoodoo candles, dressed and fixed, from our shop ... :-)

See them here: https://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html#vigil

Good luck.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

MFear

Unread post by MFear » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 am

Thanks.

What do you mean, "it took time to convert the candle?"

You mean getting the paper off? I heard running it over hot water with soap helps and it could me a hot with paper all around it. lol I can do it though.

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 am

Hi MFear,

I'm not Miss cat, but I think she also means drawing and writing on the candle to mark it with your new intentions. So, once you get that paper off with that excellent hot water trick, you'll want to take some time to write (as one example), Money Drawing, then mark it with dollar signs, or draw coins, or whatever makes it *feel* right to you as a Money Drawing 7 Day Candle (or whatever symbols are appropriate for the work you want to use it for).

It's a way of putting your intention into the spell and fixing that candle for your purposes.

I hope that helps!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC Graduate #2163G
Tarot Reader, Rootworker, and Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:15 am

MFear --

As a spiritual worker, there's a bit more for it to me than just getting the label off. The process falls under a type of work that folks like me call "re-making a candle."

I described some other forms of remade candles in my book "The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic" -- for instance, melting down some wax to "mend" a broken free-standing candle or carving a free-standing candle to make it into a figural candle.

When doing this kind of work, the procedure is not merely mechanical; one is working on a magical and spiritual level at the same time.

So, in the case of a Catholic candle, there is a spirit attached to that candle. No, it was not placed there by invocation or petition -- it was simply a label glued on by a machine in a facory -- but slight as the connection may be, it is there.

So, let's say it was a brown Saint Anthony candle, for example, and i wished to use it for a secular purpose such as a court case, which also uses brown candles. Before i removed the label, i would address myself briefly and respectfully to Saint Anthony in Catholic terms (and note, i am not a Catholic, but i am a respectful person). I might say,

"Saint Anthony of Padua, beloved friend of Jesus, and supporter of all who stand in need of charity and who petition you for the return of lost loved ones and lost things -- i ask you to release this candle to my own use, for i am in need. I shall not call upon you at this time, i release you from this candle that you may go forth and support those who petition you. Amen."

Then i would scrape off the label.

After that i would burn it plain or (because i am an artist) i would draw my new symbols and writing on the glass with a Sharpie and Gel Pens.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:27 am

Thank you for the further explanation, Miss cat! I was also wondering about whether or not to have a polite chat with the Saint whose label you might be scraping, and this has been super helpful.
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC Graduate #2163G
Tarot Reader, Rootworker, and Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”