• Please visit our Occult Sister-Sites
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.

Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

New postby lmlvr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:16 am

How may drops of oil should I use.....?
And is it okay to combine several different types of love oil in one candle?

(such as, combination of...... love me + stay with me + bewitching + marriage etc....?)
also adding Road opener to it...?

Lastly,
Is "I Dominate My Man Oil" supposed to be anointed to the man,and not on yourself?
lmlvr

Re: Dressing a "7-Day" Glass-Encased Vigil Candle

New postby Lukianos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:12 am

Dressing a 7-day candle requires only a few drops of oil applied to the top surface of the wax--most folks will make one or more small holes in the wax with an awl or similar tool to provide a recessed space for the oil drops. You most certainly can use a combination of oils appropriate to the work of the candle, but do be sure that each candle's work is well-defined and focused. For the example you list, I would probably burn the road-opening candle as a second candle in support of the first candle dressed with love/stay/marriage/bewitching, since the 'cleansing/clearing' action of road opener is so different from the 'attraction/stick-together' action of the other 4.

"I Dominate My Man" may be deployed in a number of ways. You can use it to anoint things/areas he is likely to either walk over, or come into physical contact with, including yourself--in all cases, however, you will name your target(s) and your intent as you apply the oil. You can, of course, also use it to dress candles or petition papers for magical works.

Hope this helps!
Lukianos

New postby catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 am

A quick comment on adding oil to a vigil light: As Edward said, an awl can be used to poke holes in the wax, as can a screw driver, a nail, or a stick. It has been my practice to use a special tool dedicated to this task, and to keep it at my candle-dressing station or stored in a small tool kit in a drawer or box beneath my altar. This tool is also useful for straightening up wicks, carving "runlets" in free-standing candles to keep them from drowning, and fishing out pieces of wooden matches that have fallen into the deep wells of tall candles. I have used the same antique screw driver to work with my altar lights for 43 years now. --cat
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby MissMarisa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:A quick comment on adding oil to a vigil light: As Edward said, an awl can be used to poke holes in the wax, as can a screw driver, a nail, or a stick. It has been my practice to use a special tool dedicated to this task, and to keep it at my candle-dressing station or stored in a small tool kit in a drawer or box beneath my altar. This tool is also useful for straightening up wicks, carving "runlets" in free-standing candles to keep them from drowning, and fishing out pieces of wooden matches that have fallen into the deep wells of tall candles. I have used the same antique screw driver to work with my altar lights for 43 years now. --cat

I have some old aluminum knitting needles that I use for this (and only this!). I poke the hole all the way down to the bottom of the jar and add the oil with a plastic pipette; that way there's always oil in the candle, and it really doesn't take that much oil, surprisingly enough. Is that overkill, maybe? :?:
MissMarisa

New postby sephirah » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:59 am

catherineyronwode wrote: This tool is also useful for straightening up wicks, carving "runlets" in free-standing candles to keep them from drowning, and fishing out pieces of wooden matches that have fallen into the deep wells of tall candles. --cat

Cat, I am so glad you mentioned this. There is this proverbial temptation to "assist" a candle to burn like you want it to and I struggle to keep hands off. I've had candles drown after being so close to dripping. I just read it as a sign. Do you carve "runlets" (love that word) routinely before lighting knowing they have this potential to puddle or afterwards when it needs help? What would be considered tampering? Would you straighten a wick while it was burning? What is an acceptable "assist"?

Just short of tying my hands behind my back,
Marion Wethington (G)
sephirah

New postby catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 am

I watch and observe. With a glass-encased candle there is little that can be done, beyond "grooming" it, but if i am deeply committed to a candle spell and a free-standing candle is in danger of drowning, i may abandon the natural inclination to use the candle in an accessory rite of ceromancy (wax divination).

In such a case, i carve the runlet to save having to do the spell over again -- but i acknowledge to myself that my intervention was intentional and that in this case the ceromantical result cannot be a cleanly divinatory burn.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

Proper Dressing of Candles with Oils

New postby Astariell » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:14 am

Hello and thank you for a wonderful site.

I have been searching your site for the proper method of anointing candles for work. Forgive me if I missed the information. My question concerns the general anointing for Break up work. Would the direction of anointing be from the top of candle to the bottom? Or would it be more upward direction to draw towards targets? Also, since we are on this subject, is there more basic information as to the directions to anoint candles for work? I do know up is to draw and down to take away, and in reversing, center to top, center to bottom. Thank you for helping on this topic.

Blessed Be
Astariell
Astariell

Re: Proper Dressing of Candles with Oils

New postby catherineyronwode » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi, Astariell,

The question you ask is one that many have answered -- in several ways. Each way derives from a method that is based on its own logical and symbolical reasoning, and each way has its own set of devoted practitioners. And, to make things more complicated, the several ways are each quite distinct and different.

As a teacher, i feel it is my job to tell people the tradition -- that is, to teach ALL of the ways that fall within the history of conjure.

If they come from a family that practices, and in which they have been taught to dress candles one way, then their family's way will be found among the set of methods i teach and i will not be put into the unhappy position of contradicting their grandmother.

If hoodoo is new to them and they have never heard of dressing a candle with conjure oils before, then they can try the various traditional methods i tell them and select the one they prefer -- and start a tradition in their own family.

A hugely influential book on candle and herb magic in hoodoo is the 1936 "Legends of Incense, Herb, an Oil Magic" by Louis de Claremont.

De Claremont recommended burning each candle in a triangle and energetically "magnetizing" each candle with an appropriate oil by stroking halfway up on one side and halfway down on the other.

You can read more about Louis / Lewis de Clairmont / de Claremont at this web page.

http://luckymojo.com/young.html

Another popular book on candle and oil magic is "The Master Book of Candle Burning" a 1942 publication by Henri Gamache. We sell it in the shop. You can read a bit about Mr. Gamache here as well:

http://luckymojo.com/young.html

A third method of candle usage is that described by Mikail Strabo in the 1940 book "A Candle to Light Your Way." He had an entirely different method of working with candles and conjure oils, which is extremely popular today as well.

Then there is "The Magic Candle" by Charmaine Dey," which first came out in the early 1970s. It is also popular, and it spins its own take on the work of dressing a candle with a conjure oil. We sell it in the shop as well.

Some say up, some say down, some say from the middle outwards. Some -- like me -- vary the directionality of the ritual oil dressing depending on the type of work to be done.

For instance, i would dress a free-standing black break-up candle with Break Up Oil from the middle outwards toward both ends, creating a "split."

But if i were dressing two image candles that were placed back to back on an altar, where they were going to be "walked" apart as they burned, i would put the Break Up Oil only on their backs. On the front of the "returning lover" candle i would put Return To Me oil, and on the front of the "bad outside lover" image candle i would put Hot Foot Oil to cause them to get away. In that case i would also have a red image candle for the "good lover in the home" and that image candle would be dressed front and back with a combination of Return to Me Oil and Love Me Oil.

It's a complex subject, you see, and there is no one "right" answer. It's like baking a cake -- there are a lot of good recipes out there!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby Astariell » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 am

Hello again and thank you very much, Catherine!
I appreciate your time in answering my question! What wonderful insight!
It is true about no one "right" answer....I guess that is why some of us have our own recipe books ie Book of Shadows and Grimoire....
I found your ideas for dressing the break up candles wonderful and I would not have thought of these ideas since I thought that there was a "right" way and a "wrong" way...How logical and amazing!You opened up the "door" to my imagination....
I ordered some kits, herbs, powders, incense, etc last week so I look forward to using your suggestions.
I am reading just about every page on your site for the last 2 months.....I am new to hoodoo although I have studied basic magick for a while now...
Thanks for this Forum since I practice alone and have no one to talk to with concerning any issues.It can be very difficult when working alone. I do read a lot but being able to share is very precious when I need to keep everything very secret.
I look forward to being able to ask a question again and hope I won't overstay any welcome to your wonderful site. Again, thank you Catherine!
Blessed Be
Astariell
Astariell

New postby Literarylioness » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:08 pm

sephirah wrote:[Do you carve "runlets" (love that word) routinely before lighting knowing they have this potential to puddle or afterwards when it needs help? What would be considered tampering? Would you straighten a wick while it was burning? What is an acceptable "assist"?

Some free standing candles need assistance, or they will just puddle. I just finished three penis candles and they are natural "puddlers." It is the way they are shaped. I put the runlets in slightly as they are nearly burnt out and do not carve them in before burning.

If I want to know the "outcome" of a spell, I use an adjacent 7 day candle with it. I use the 7 day candle to tell me what is going on with my spell. The glass will give me the information I need. I am not too good at figuring out melted wax.

Mary
Literarylioness

Candle Dressing

New postby Sharona22 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 pm

I have read so much on candle dressing,blessing,annoiteing on websites and books that I am getting very confused.Please give mt some of the basics on all of the above keeping in mind I have a very small space for my altar
Sharona22

Re: Candle Dressing

New postby Abraxas » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:04 pm

This is about as good a basic run down as there is anywhere.

http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#dressing
Abraxas

New postby EcleckticMama » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Miss Cat answered this really well on the forum here.
EcleckticMama

Candle Anointing Directions

New postby Brujero05 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm

I have seen different methods in many books and websites. The first says if you're working towards attraction, to annoing from top to bottom of the candle. If you are reversing or sending away, from bottom to top. Then there is another method where you're attracting, you annoing from top to middle and the bottom to middle and opposite if you're sending away. Is there really a "right" way to annoing a candle? Or does it all depend on a person's taste??
Brujero05

Re: Candle Anointing Directions

New postby EcleckticMama » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Read here. Miss Cat's answered this very thoroughly where someone asked in the board about oils.
EcleckticMama

New postby J Simulcik » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am

Maybe this should be one of the board's first 'sticky's, FAQ page, whatever?
J Simulcik

New postby catherineyronwode » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for the suggestion. However, instead of limiting my writing on that topic to the board, i will additionally export the text and adapt it for use in HITAP, where readers can find it permanently -- and possibly before they even come here to ask the question!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby J Simulcik » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 am

I'm amazed at how much you've written on various subjects, I was just thinking something to point them in the direction of those same writings.

Which is actually what the "read before posting" threads seem to be designed for...don't mind me, I'm just avoiding my biochem assignment! ;)
J Simulcik

New postby catherineyronwode » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:25 pm

Feel free to ask any questions you have relevant to conjure practice.

The Break Up candle methods i gave you are long-standing traditional methods in African American root work. There is a great deal in hoodoo that is not found in other systems of magic. Hoodoo is not merely a set of spells or an alternative way of working magic; it is an entire system of thought and practice, complete in and of itself.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby nagasiva » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:03 am

in response to catherine, i would like to echo the advice to have a dedicated tool for dressing and repairing these candles, and i would suggest one may expand that to other types of (metal!) implement. I use a letter opener whose width is narrow enough to match the awl or a nail for shape, one i have used on my altar for something like 23 years.

as regards divination using candles, i always take into account any obvious flaws i may be (in my case intentionally) starting out with, or actions taken to resolve a problem with a burn, when it comes time to examine the candle for an evaluation of its burn. I am intending to get an impression of what variance i can detect from what might be expected given the ordinary circumstances, rather than to give undue emphasis to unusual manipulation or initial candle/glass deformity.
nagasiva yronwode

Forum Technical Help
forum@luckymojo.com
Lucky Mojo Curio Company
nagasiva
Site Owner

New postby Lara » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:45 am

I was just talking about this yesterday, and thought I'd add my own two cents.
I burn a lot of vigils in my practice, not as many as Lucky Mojo of course, but enough that I've been able to play around with different ways of dressing.

I honestly use a lot of herbs and oils, about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of herbs and oils. I started out with a lot less, but have moved to more and found I got better results on my candles. Of course it could have been me getting better, but thats another story.

I use enough oils to wet the herbs, and have found that by doing this they rarely catch on fire. I also tend to either push the larger herbs into the wax, or use ground versions of the herbs. I use an old kitchen knife, actually the first one I bought for our new home years ago, now as my altar tool. I definately doctor my candles with some regularity.

If the wick is too close to the glass I will push it towards the center.
I will knock the "polyps" off the wick which cause the flame to get too big.
I will move herbs out of the way if they are in danger of catching on fire.

I used to be very hesitant about doing this, but not any more. I have found that this does not interfere in my results, and actually beleive the "tending" improves the outcome.

Cheers,
Lara
Lara

New postby catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:02 am

Good points, Lara!

I too remove the polyp-like "knots" on the ends of wicks, remediate bad wick placement, and perform relights (with additional prayers) on glass candles that spontaneously go out.

Most folks will almost instinctively do these sorts of things for their freee-standing candles, but there is a kind of hesitancy to mess with the burn that i have noticed among newbie practitioners when they first begin working with glass-encased vigil lights.

One reason for this is that they lack proper tools for addressing a candle that is well down inside an 8-inch tall glass tube. This is remedied by getting and using a dedicated candle tool, as several of us have described above.

Another reason that newbies to glass-encased vigil lights are reluctant to interfere with the burn of their candles is that they are just learning about smoke-pattern divination in the glass, which is a bit more subtle than wax divination from a free-standing candle, and they get worried that their actions may mess up the divination. For instance, they may have just read the "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" page on candle divination signs at

http://luckymojo.com/candlemagicdivination.html

and think that signs in the glass, such as are described there, can only be valid if the practitioner allows them to develop naturally, without meddling in ways that might change the ourcome of the burn.

To folks with this concern, i would like to say that doing conjure is itself a way of changing the outcome of events -- so why not work with the candle too?

That is, after you have put so much work into gatering personal concerns, preparing a petition, dressing the candle with herbs and oils, praying over it, and positioning it on your altar, it is not necessary to stop working with it while it burns. A glass vigil candle -- just like figural candles, such as Adam and Eve pairs that are "walked" together as they burn or a Divorce candle that is hacked in two with a butcher cleaver while it is burning -- is a work-in-progress as well as a divinatory aid.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby Miss Bri » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:19 am

Lara wrote:
I honestly use a lot of herbs and oils, about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of herbs and oils. I started out with a lot less, but have moved to more and found I got better results on my candles. Of course it could have been me getting better, but thats another story.

I use enough oils to wet the herbs, and have found that by doing this they rarely catch on fire. I also tend to either push the larger herbs into the wax, or use ground versions of the herbs. I use an old kitchen knife, actually the first one I bought for our new home years ago, now as my altar tool. I definately doctor my candles with some regularity.

If the wick is too close to the glass I will push it towards the center.
I will knock the "polyps" off the wick which cause the flame to get too big.
I will move herbs out of the way if they are in danger of catching on fire.

I used to be very hesitant about doing this, but not any more. I have found that this does not interfere in my results, and actually beleive the "tending" improves the outcome.

Cheers,
Lara

Lara,
You and I are candle sisters!
I totally agree with everything you just described :-)
xoxo
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

New postby Literarylioness » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:59 pm

I am a herb girl myself and use a pepper grinder to make my herbs superfine. I really concentrate when putting on the herbs and oils. I do love 7 day candles and use them often.

I was taught that if the wax in 7 day candles is soft for whole poking, that is a good sign of success. If the wax is tough for hole poking, there will be a bumpy ride ahead.

I am not to into reading the wax of figure candles unless it really jumps out at me. I think with 7 day candles the story is easily told with the class.

Mary
Literarylioness

New postby catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Good luck with your biochem assignment -- and i look forward to your turning in your Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course homework assignments too :-)
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby Sharona22 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:10 pm

OK
Sharona22

New postby sephirah » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:46 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:and think that signs in the glass, such as are described there, can only be valid if the practitioner allows them to develop naturally, without meddling in ways that might change the ourcome of the burn.

To folks with this concern, i would like to say that doing conjure is itself a way of changing the outcome of events -- so why not work with the candle too?

I have boxes of candles from the local Catholic church, including holiday pillars weighing over 3 lbs, but I learned early on that making my own glass-encased vigils, which I do only in a pinch, lacked one element after the mess was cleared. There is something about a LMCC label that adds dimension to the work. It's an in-your-face, "by God, this is what I'm asking for", proclaimation of sorts not unlike the often heard Southern Baptist testiment "I claim it!". It's as if the candle was already 'christened' for that particular work. I think what you are saying Cat is that, label or not, it is our duty to take an active rather than passive role in the work because after all, were it not for us, it wouldn't have been done at all. Short of beating my chest, I hope that is what you are saying because I like it.

Sephirah
(busy with a baker's dozen 3 day old black frizzles in the brooder)
sephirah

Cleansing Candles Before Ritual Use

New postby justv » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:02 am

I have read that it is important to cleanse your candles before use in rituals. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good way to do this. I wipe them down lightly with Florida Water but sometimes notice it causes the candle to pop when I first light it, I know it is very flammable. I appreciate any advice, Thank you all! :D

V
justv

Re: Cleansing Candles Before Ritual Use

New postby Miss Bri » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:45 am

Hi there,

Are you talking about the glass encased vigil lights?

If so, then I have been taught to use Ammonia to wipe them down, some folks will smudge them a little with sage or some other appropriate incense, some might even use a little their own urine.

take care,
Bri
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

New postby justv » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 am

Thank you :D I was actually asking about both glass encased and the non encased like altar candles and figural candles. I use Florida water to wipe them all. The candles that pop are the non encased altar/offertory candles.

V
justv

New postby Literarylioness » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:57 pm

I was actually taught to use rubbing alcohol or whiskey to clean candles for clients and to use my own urine (ammonia) for candles for my own use. I know of many who use Florida Water and Hoyte's Cologne too though.

Mary
Literarylioness

New postby EcleckticMama » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:05 pm

justv wrote: The candles that pop are the non encased altar/offertory candles.

How soon after cleaning them with Florida Water are you lighting them? Make sure the alcohol in the cologne has all evaporated before lighting.

Also, the dressing oils you are using could be causing the popping as the volatile vapors of the essential oils hit the column of heat of the flame. How big of a pop are you talking about?
EcleckticMama

New postby justv » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:22 pm

The candles only pop as I light them. I realize now I'm not waiting long enough after I cleanse them before lighting. Thank you all for the advice :D Do you usually cleanse candles as you get them or wait until your about to use them? Or even both?

V
justv

New postby Literarylioness » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 pm

justv wrote:The candles only pop as I light them. I realize now I'm not waiting long enough after I cleanse them before lighting. Thank you all for the advice :D Do you usually cleanse candles as you get them or wait until your about to use them? Or even both?

V

I cleanse them before use.

Mary
Literarylioness

Improving Spell Results

New postby sahjia » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:43 pm

hi i like to know what is very important when doing some spell work ? it s my first time i m going to do spell.

calling wish, energy, or act, should i set and spell my wish til the candle end or leave like that so?

please let me know how as of u r best.
sahjia

New postby Sharona22 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:06 am

Does this cleaning apply to the glass encased vigil candles I buy already dressed from LM?If yes how?
Sharona22

New postby Lara » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:28 am

I personally wouldn't "clean" an already fixed candle.
Lara
Lara

New postby Rukia Fae » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:14 pm

The great thing about magick is everyone does it differently!

I make my own oils from herbs- only a few I need to purchase, and I grow many of the herbs myself!

When I anoint candles it depends on what the spell is for. Basically, if the goal is to bring something TO me (luck, money, love, job, etc) I anoint from the top of the candle all the way down. If it is to take something away from me (problems, health issues, etc) I anoint from the bottom of the candle to the top.

I like the idea of for a break up to anoint from the middle up, then middle down...Thats an idea I think I'll incorporate should I ever have the need!
Rukia Fae

Electric Lights On While Doing Candle Spells?

New postby sangamo1 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Does it matter if i leave the lights on or off when I do the [Reconciliation] spell?
sangamo1

Re: Electric Lights On While Doing Candle Spells?

New postby catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:15 pm

I would never, ever, ever, EVER work a candle spell with bright electric lights on by preference.

I may light a candle during the day, but that is by sunlight.

When i used to set lights in the shop i could not turn the electric lightss off, because other folks were using them -- but i HATED that.

Now we have the church, which does have tiny red Chinese altar lights and LED fake incense sticks in it (charming, really), but the real light within the church comes from the four banks of altar candles. i feel so much more comfortable that way.

If i can prepare my work by the liht of one candle, i will. The symbolism of candle light is so complete that way -- the candle is then, as the old phases has it, "a candle to guide your way," "a lamp unto the nations," "a light in darkness."

AAnd it's not only about the light on the altar for me, either. If you were working on a doll baby for passionate love, and needed light to work by, wouldn't you rather work by the light of 9 consecrated red candles dressed with Love Me oil than by the light of one compact flourescent bulb while the TV is glowing bluely and mumbling about Tide Detergent in the next room? I know that i sure would!

Ditto for setting fixed and prepared altar lights -- if i need light by which to fix and prepare my altar candle, i light a bunch of "mundane" candles, off the altar, to work by.

It always turns out best if you think, focus, and put yourself into a magical headspace, you know what i mean?
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby Vidma » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:05 am

justv wrote:I have read that it is important to cleanse your candles before use in rituals. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good way to do this...

I use fresh lemon juice
Vidma

Re: Cleansing candles before ritual use

New postby Sharona22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks Lara I was thinking no myself
Sharona22

New postby snake » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:12 pm

This is a fantastic topic!! Does LM sell a particular ammonia cleaner that would work for cleaning candles? I already have Florida Water here at home, but it sounds like it would be good to have an ammonia cleaner on hand.
snake

New postby snake » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:24 pm

I tend to have a light on in the next room or hallway, so that I have just enough light to see what I'm doing, but not so much that I'm distracted. I also tend to do a lot of spell during the day, so there's always daylight.
snake

New postby Turnsteel » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:02 pm

snake wrote:This is a fantastic topic!! Does LM sell a particular ammonia cleaner that would work for cleaning candles? I already have Florida Water here at home, but it sounds like it would be good to have an ammonia cleaner on hand.

Well theirs http://www.luckymojo.com/ammonia.html, i personally wouldn't use it on candles, but then I was taught to use Holy Water to clean them.
God bless you Dr Jose Gregorio Hernandez.
Thank you Saint Expedite
Turnsteel

New postby Vidma » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:11 am

HailDiscordia wrote: I was taught to use Holy Water to clean them.

+1: After I wipe a candle with the lemon juice, I sprinkle it with some Holy water as well
Vidma

New postby yooster976 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:14 am

literarylioness wrote:I was actually taught to use rubbing alcohol or whiskey to clean candles for clients and to use my own urine (ammonia) for candles for my own use. I know of many who use Florida Water and Hoyte's Cologne too though.

Mary

If you was to use your own urine to clean candles, would this only be used on candles that
you were using for yourself for example a luck drawing spell, or can it be used for spells
that you were employing on others ie a hotfoot spell would be a good example, would
that be negative to youself.

Brian
yooster976

New postby sangamo1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:14 pm

I've just started doing it with the light off. I am a college student, and go into the basement kitchen of my dorm to light my candles and do my ritual every night between 12 and 3, then snuff them out. There, I am not disturbed and if I set off the smoke alarm, it cant be traced back to my room. I like the lights off a little better, as I can see how the candle flame is doing, but as far as lights go I do not feel one is more distracting then the other.
sangamo1

New postby Literarylioness » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:31 pm

yooster971 wrote:
literarylioness wrote:I was actually taught to use rubbing alcohol or whiskey to clean candles for clients and to use my own urine (ammonia) for candles for my own use. I know of many who use Florida Water and Hoyte's Cologne too though.

Mary

If you was to use your own urine to clean candles, would this only be used on candles that
you were using for yourself for example a luck drawing spell, or can it be used for spells
that you were employing on others ie a hotfoot spell would be a good example, would
that be negative to youself.

Brian

I use my urine for any work I am doing for myself, whether blessing or cursing. My urine is powerful, since it comes from my body. Technically, it is suppose to be the first urine of the day. A little dab will do you :D

I have instructed clients to use their urine for certain work too.

Mary
Literarylioness

Anointing Candles

New postby sangamo1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Do I have to anoint candles each time I use them or just once? (I have been rubbing the ones I have been using for my reconciliation work with olive oil each night)

Also, for my honey jar am putting together for the same issue, I am going to be using rosemary oil, a few drops on each votive candle and letting it burn all the way out. The candle has already been cleansed using everclear. (But after doing some reading on another post, I might wipe it down with my own urine too) Does it really matter if its my first one of the day or not?
sangamo1

Re: Anointing Candles

New postby Literarylioness » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:38 pm

It is nice if it is the first urine of the day, but your urine is very powerful either way. I anoint candles each time I use them, unless they are seven day glass encased vigil candles.

Mary
Literarylioness

New postby Miss Bri » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:06 pm

I typically anoint my candles one time and then let them burn out in the time I have alotted for them--whether that is one day, seven days, etc.

Typically when the first urine of the day is mentioned there is also the requirement that you not speak before collecting that urine. I always found that to be an important aspect of collecting the first urine of the day--the fact that you haven't broken your silence.

take care,
Bri
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

New postby sangamo1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Oh. I have been using votives, saying my little prayer, then snuffing them

I will let the honey jar burn all the way down though.

Is first urine of the day considered after midnight or when I get up in the morning?
sangamo1

Re: Improving Spell Results

New postby catherineyronwode » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:06 pm

There are many ways to work spells and since your question is very general in nature, i can best answer it in generalities.

Some candles only burn an hour, others burn for 5 days or more. You cannot stay away praying or working the spell for 5 days. Most people spend at least 15 minutes on the spell and then let the candle burn. A few, but notall that many, stay with the candle for hours.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby Miss Bri » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:31 am

sangamo1 wrote:Oh.

Is first urine of the day considered after midnight or when I get up in the morning?

I was taught when you get up in the morning.

Bri
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

New postby catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 am

As bri noted, the first urine of the day refers to after you wake up, not after midnight.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

Cleansing and Dressing Candles

New postby yooster976 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:51 am

Hi All

I was wondering if I was cleansing and dressing my candles properly after reading some posts.

At present I have been covering the whole of the candle that I am using with oil or a cleansing product, making sure I dont miss any gaps on the candle, that has felt right for me.

I would like to know is if that is the correct way to cleanse/dress the candles or are we just to smudge them, as smudge I would understand that as being just a small area on the candle with no concerns of covering it, I have never seen anyone ever anoint a candle and I dont know if I have misunderstood this.

Thanks Brian
yooster976

Re: Cleansing and Dressing Candles

New postby Lara » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:28 am

You can read about how to dress candles here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#dressing
Lara

Figural Candle and Personal Concerns

New postby Angelina » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 am

Hi all,

How would I go about adding a personal concern to a figural candle representing that person? I have the hair of the person.

Should I mix the hair with the anointing oil as i anoint the picture of the person and put it under the candle?

Or is it better to make a little hole on top of the head, put the hair in and seal it up?

Thanks.
Angelina

Re: Figural Candle and Personal Concerns

New postby Turnsteel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Angelina wrote:Hi all,
Or is it better to make a little hole on top of the head, put the hair in and seal it up?
Thanks.

This is a nice way to do it if, like you said, you're using a figural candle. Way I was taught you either tie it around the candle, which honestly never really works for me the hair either falls and sits around the bottom of the candle or breaks on me, or get it inside the candle usually by putting a hole in the candle adding the personal concerns and sealing it back up.

Now that's just how I was taught, other people will probably have other things to say. Find what works for you.
God bless you Dr Jose Gregorio Hernandez.
Thank you Saint Expedite
Turnsteel

Next

• Please visit our Occult Sister-Sites
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells