Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Catholic Saint Painted Bottle Spells Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo spell kits, painted bottle spells, vinegar bottles, and honey jar spells.
DeborahHarris
Forum Member

Unread post by DeborahHarris » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:13 pm

What size candles are used with the "Bottle Spells"? The 4 in. or 6 in. Thanks in advance.

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator
Re: Candles for Bottle Spells

Unread post by Papa Newt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm

The 4" Altar Candles are used with the Bottle Spell Kits.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

AzureEagle7
Forum Member

Unread post by AzureEagle7 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 am

Hello All,
Recently thought of getting or making (leaning more towards buying) a bottle spell (unfixed) of sorts as more of a way to honor and praise some of my patron saints and their presence in my life, namely St. Martha and St. Cyprian, and adding stuff to the bottle itself to add a more personal touch to the ritual.

However, I realized that I actually don't have much of a clue as to what to add and/or do to the unfixed bottle :shock:

Any ideas and suggestions as to proper herbs, curios, etc. to put into the bottles that anyone could tell me about would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Flora
HRCC Graduate

Re: Saint Bottles

Unread post by Flora » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm

I love devotional bottles. I have five that I work with often. My suggestion is to use a jar or bottle that you have used yourself. I paint the outside of mine to a correspondence color to the Saint I am working with. For instance I use red for St. Expedite or purple for Fortuna. Next I glue one of my favorite images of the Saint I am working with to the front and trim it with beads or something fancy. I personally like to draw runes in the lid or write words of love and devotion.
I meditate at my altar and consider the herbs, roots and bones that would best reflect my relationship with the Saint not something that comes out of a book. Here is another example: when I made a bottle for Santa Muerte, I filled it with cypress, cedar and sandalwood chips. I place my petitions to her and let the aroma infuse my petition. I will sometimes close up the jar and place a beeswax candle on the lid while I pray.
However you create your bottle or jar will be exactly what needs to be because you did it from a place of love and devotion. I am sure the Saints will be please.
Best of Blessings,
Flora
Certified Graduate #1658
"A wise woman will make more opportunities than she finds."

HanSkaWin
Forum Member
Re: Catholic Saint Painted Bottle Spells Questions and Answers

Unread post by HanSkaWin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Hello all:

I was looking at doing a devotional bottle myself like the above posters but with a twist on it. The Missouri River is very important to me and I (and others) consider it to be sacred. It provides for me and the ones I love, water to the entire state, electric through a series of dams, etc. So I've crafted a bottle that I intend to use to honor it and potentially use for invocation. It's blue and I've decorated it with beadwork, blue and white wave patterns, along with shells.

What I'd like to do is fill it with herbs and items that would create a connection with the river and also increase or support that spiritual communication. The herbs I was looking at getting were: mallow roots and leaves, holly, and wormwood to support that communication. I would also add more local items of dried chokecherries and bark, sweetgrass, and tobacco as an offering. I was thinking I would top it off with a sprinkling of Florida Water, but then I thought it may be better to bless the outside of the bottle with the FW and then top the bottle off with the river's water itself and seal it with blue wax.

Has anyone done something similar to this before? Or if anyone had any suggestions regarding the herbs I am including I'd appreciate it. LM says holly can be used to invite guardian spirits into the home, but I've always thought of it as a ward.

Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Athena » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi HanSkaWin,

I would leave the Florida Water out of the contents of the bottle and use that to cleanse the bottle before preparing it. Using the river's own water as part of your contents is a nice idea.

Your herbs sound OK for communication. You could also add Deer's Tongue to help the river "speak" to you should you use it for invocation in your spellwork.
http://www.herbmagic.com/deers-tongue.html

I've not done this kind of work myself but am intrigued. Please keep us posted.

Good luck.
HRCC #1909G

Shutter
Forum Member

Unread post by Shutter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:38 pm

I've been meaning to make devotional bottles as well, or consider doing some work with the Saints aside from JUST prayer which I've done my whole life as a Catholic.

I wanted to know aside from purchasing the LM oils/baths if there were any herbs in particular that related to each saint, and how I'd go about finding that information in order to purchase appropriate herbs from LM?
To all the saints and angels thanks for intercession upon my behalf
To all else listen to the mods!

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:10 am

Hello, Shutter,

That's a pretty broad question

I can't possibly name every herb for every Saint!

Try this page:

www.luckymojo.com/hoodooataglance.html

Also, go to the particular Saints' pages to find out more information

Take care

Asturias
Forum Member

Unread post by Asturias » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:34 am

Hello there.

In this post here: catholic-saint-painted-bottle-spells-qu ... ml#p375553 HanSkaWin mentions the idea of placing herbs into a bottle and filling it with river water, in order to enhance contact with the river spirit etc.

I. won't that cause the herbs to rot, even if they're dry? wouldn't that be inconvenient to the work at hand?

II. what if, instead, one should add to bottle about an inch of the river water along with the herbs? would they rot anyway?

III. what about if one mixed a bit of river water and the other items to an alcohol-based solution? the herbs probably wouldn't rot then, but would the spirit be upset?

Please let me know.

Cordially,
Asturias.

Reason: See admin

Asturias
Forum Member

Unread post by Asturias » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:57 am

Dear shuttle,

from the top of my head I can remember that martyr saints are associated with palm branches. When a saint is represented with them it is in remembrance of their martyrdom. And it has a strong catholic appeal to it as well - you'll know about it if you're catholic. Related to a custom that I don't recall how it's called in english, thus the omission lol. It has to do with a biblical episode of Jesus entering Jerusalem and the observation of easter - so if you're a devotee of any of the martyr saints you could start from there.

Other than that you might also consider using petals of dried flowers that have been placed on their altars beforehand. White and red roses etc.

Furthermore, herbs associated with positive spiritual contact with higher forces are a must. Olibanum and myrrh hold great mystical importance to christianity as well as to spiritual contact from a hoodoo point of view. Other than that, you should consider althaea, angelica. Some might say acacia as well.

Sometimes certain saints do have specific herbs associated with them. Such is the case of Saint Catherine of Sienna and tarragon, for instance. Legend has it that it was Saint Catherine who introduced tarragon into France, and there is a correspondending goal to both the particular devotion to this saint and the magical usage this herb, which is to help distressed women in situations of abuse. So there are cases of herbs being directly associated with saints and their devotion. Although not very common, this is certainly something worth looking into. There are not, however, any compendiums dedicated to outline which herb is associated to each saint and their magical employments. Not that I know of, anyway.

Personally, I would feel tempted to add oliver oil to the bottle as well. Olive oil represents purity and light, and has vast usage in positive spiritual practice.

Anyhow. That's how I see it. Some people might have different perspectives than mine as well as more gracious and traditional means of approaching this. I would be most willing to hear what they have to say, but so far these are my two cents regarding this matter. Might not be the ideal but hopefully stirring up this matter will give you some food for thought. It was certainly good exercise for me.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

May the Lord God, in name of his son Jesus Christ, and all his saints bestow their blessings upon you, and may their sanctity and wisdom comfort and assist you throughout your life.

Cordially,
Asturias

Asturias
Forum Member

Unread post by Asturias » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Dear Shutter***
Sorry for that typo. Lord, I've edited that post a million times. However did I miss that? Lol

Take care

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Spell Kits, Bottle Spells, Vinegar Bottles, and Honey Jars in Hoodoo”