Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Crossroads and Crossroads Ritual: Questions and Answers

Fuzzed

Re: Crossroads and Crossroads Ritual: Questions and Answers

Unread post by Fuzzed » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Hello, I am a musician looking to perform the crossroads rite for fame and increased musical ability. Can someone please advise me about this, because I have heard differences of opinion about what to do etc. Thank you.

Lukianos
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lukianos » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Fuzzed,

If you haven't already, do check out this page:

http://www.luckymojo.com/crossroads.html

...and pay special attention to the section "What really happened at the crossroads"
Peace be with you,
Lukianos

Jesterjosh

Unread post by Jesterjosh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 pm

walrus

If ever I see a penny lying about that's heads-down, I flip it over so that the head side shows before pocketing it.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:49 pm

My Granny's solution for getting rid of warts was to put a glob of spit first thing when you wake up (while it's still thick and gross - before you brush your teeth) every morning.

I used to have warts on my feet and she's always suggest it and I'd never do it because I thought it was silly superstition. My mother, however, did get rid of a wart on her hand that way when she was a little girl. She said it went away slowly over several weeks, and she never had another one! So I guess I should have listened after all. :)
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

zagone

Unread post by zagone » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:39 am

Hi All,

Hoping people will still read this old thread -- else I'll start a new one in a few days... Also appreciating this wealth of information here!

My question on crossroads is this -- Can a crossroads be a 3-way (T-shaped) intersection? I have several of these near my house, but its quite a walk to a 4-way crossroads.

Thanks,
Zagone

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:35 am

That is what I have always wondered. The 4 way crossroads are not very safe at night to use due to traffic but there are a couple of three ways that are very safe that I would never use other than to dispose of items that would be perfect.

Jinglepop

Unread post by Jinglepop » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:26 am

Well as long as roads "pass" or summat. Don't make much sense and ain't practical if you've got to walk miles to dispose of some ritual stuff.

Me? I throw mine on the street road where cars pass by, and it seems all right and dandy. (Of course if what I'm doing is wrong or stupid someone please say something.)

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:57 am

A 'T' intersection is not a crossroads in the traditionall sense (it isn't in the shape of a cross) but it will do if that's all you've got. You can also make a 'portable crossroads' by drawing an 'X' shape on the ground with a condition powder, cornflour, sand, salt etc. and bury your spell remains under that.

bluesprof

Unread post by bluesprof » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:14 am

In all the classic African American tales/narratives about the cross roads (and not insignificantly the most used form of the word(s) is cross roads, not crossroads), they are always referred to as where "two roads cross - this way and that way" making a full X... so a T intersection would seem to never be appropriate. The full X has important cosmological ramifications: it signifies, among other things, the dividing line where heaven meets earth, spirit meets body, the over world meets the underworld... only at a full cross roads would one be able to encounter Legba, Elegua, the gatekeeper.

Hawk

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:32 am

bluesprof

Keep in mind that just as often you hear about going to the forks of the road, a Y shaped three way crossroad. Also the black man at the crossroads in hoodoo isn't Papa Lagba or Elegua, they are all separate beings. While I wouldn't use a T shaped one their is nothing wrong with going to a Y shaped one. Their is no one way that things have to be done. If someone wants to use a T shaped one go for it, its may or may not be traditional but if it works for them,great. :)
HRCC Student #1559

mmcpower

Unread post by mmcpower » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:59 am

I have a question on this please. Would it be considered a crossroad if you have a 3 way street and the 4th way is like a little private street or alleyway?

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:09 am

Not in the traditional sense, no. But you could use it in a pinch.

bluesprof

Unread post by bluesprof » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:01 am

HailDiscordia said:
Keep in mind that just as often you hear about going to the forks of the road, a Y shaped three way crossroad. Also the black man at the crossroads in hoodoo isn't Papa Lagba or Elegua, they are all separate beings.

The question was about what constitutes a cross roads, and while you're right that a fork in the road is sometimes sited as a place of power or of use in ritual, within the blues tradition a cross roads is ONLY where two roads intersect. In hoodoo the Y intersection may be of ritual value, but in the blues tradition it is only the X cross roads that is employed. Even predating Tommy Johnson (the alleged "originator" of the cross roads in popular association with the blues) the cross road, as an X, was widely known throughout Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama folk belief. I have traced its use back to at least the 1870s. If it was known publicly by that time it surely was known beforehand, and in order to make a deal for success in playing music the road had to be an X... nothing less would do.

I was not referring to Papa Legba with regard to whom you would meet at the cross roads in hoodoo, but rather merely that this is one of his main domains. I was making a point about the various multi-cultural cosmological implications of the cross road. However, let us not forget the syncretic nature of these belief/practice systems. For most in popular culture Marie Laveau was a Voudou practitioner, yet there were many who (in contemporary reports from before 1880) referred to her only as a worker of herbs and roots. The lines are not as finely delineated as we sometimes think they are. A good rootworker, two-headed doctor, conjur(e) doctor knew what their client(s) wanted and could be many and all things to them. For instance, while I personally don't agree with Julio Finn's declaration that Robert Johnson was initiated into a Voudou practice and that was what accounted for his "deal with the devil" mythos, one must acknowledge that rootworkers were cognizant of Voudou workers, and visa versa. One cannot automatically eliminate any aspect of one undertaking from another without full knowledge of the specific context of the time and place.

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:09 am

Most people who post here just want to know where they can dispose of their ritual remains, as a lot of the spell kits say to bury at a crossroads.

Awesome list-y thing for disposal of spell remains, in no special order except that the best is at the top:

1. An actual crossroads where two roads intersect, forming an 'X' pattern. (Your best and most traditional option)
2. An intersection where 2 or more roads come together, but not in the traditional 'X' pattern.
3. A 'portable crossroads': an 'X' shape drawn on the ground with a powder or sand
4. Other. (As in, I can't get to a crossroads, but I know this really good cemetary/river/other place...)

Hope that clarifies things a bit. A crossroad is traditionally defined as number 1 on the list, but if one is lacking, you have other options.

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:04 am

The X road always felt right not the T which is why I always ended up using a riverfor disposal because the the traffic on the X was too heavy even in the middle of the night.

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:06 pm

kittynmoon

NO to the T shape! It blocks the magic and disbursement. The crossroads disburse the magic.

You can always throw stuff out of your car while driving. If you are too afraid of the crossroads, then maybe this system is not for you.

Mary

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:49 pm

I guess I'm lucky... I live near a HUGE crossroads, and a half hour walk from a cemetery which actually has a crossroads in it.

zagone

Unread post by zagone » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi All -- thanks for your responses and advice. This is interesting and useful to get your perspectives.

-- Zagone

bluesprof

Unread post by bluesprof » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:05 am

I'm delighted to be able to have this kind of discussion, even though it is somewhat tangential to LM and its products and use... the ideas and concepts are important and it's good to hear various viewpoints

Hawk

shyguy

Unread post by shyguy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:32 am

I am doing a 13 herb spiritual bath for 10 more days. I keep using the same crossroads but I wait 24 hours before I use them again, or even go NEAR them or take the same road I used to get there in any way shape or form. If I do that can I keep using the same crossroads or do I have to actually find 13 different ones every day.

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:36 am

Hi all,

I've seen this question asked a few times, but never seemed to get a definite answer..

So, If I disposed of some spell remains at a crossroads, is there a timeframe in which I shouldn't return to it for?

I live near a huge, busy crossroads which I practically always have to go past in order to get anywhere- if I go past it again soon after getting rid of the ritual remains, does that render the spell ineffective, and I would have to repeat it?

Thanks, and happy hoodooing! :D

just-a-girl

Unread post by just-a-girl » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:45 am

Hey there...funny you should ask this, as I was just looking for an answer about this last night! I came across this post...

uncrossing-spell-questions-t3220.html

In Miss Cat's reply, she speaks of crossroads. It's not exactly what your question is asking, but I think it gives a good answer to the "returning to crossroads" question in general.

Hope this helps!

jag
Thank you Saint Martha. It is an honor to have you come to my aid. May your strength be known to all!

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:05 am

Hi JAG,

I've also read that thread, but unfortunately doesn't really answer my question.. :?

Thanks though! :D

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:56 am

How fast can you get there?

There isn't any reason why you can't go there any time you want after disposing of spell remains there. The important thing is not to look back when you're disposing of whatever you're disposing of.

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:03 am

Thank you very much! That's very comforting to know I haven't somehow messed up all my spellwork- there's only one proper "X" crossroads nearby that I can make use of conveniently (it's just a short walk from my house), and that's where I leave all my ritual remnants- it even has a tree planted almost right at the intersection that gladly takes my unwanted bathwater :mrgreen:

Thanks again!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:31 pm

There are a lot of folks using this forum who are inexperienced with the tradition of rootwork, conjure or hoodoo, and somehow they are picking up a lot of funky, false, and downright dippy information on the internet about the role of the crossroads in rootwork.

This post is designed to be quoted or pointed to by anyone who wishes to set straight anyone on the forum who is confused about crossroads work:

1) Read about the Crossroads here in "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" by cat yronwode:
http://luckymojo.com/crossroads.html

2) Read about the Crossroads at the "Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers" site:
http://readersandrootworkers.org/index. ... Crossroads

3) Read about how to dispose of or deploy ritual elements and hoodoo tricks at a crossroads in this page from "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" by cat yronwode:
http://luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html#crossroads

4) When using a crossroads for disposal or dispersal of spell work, you do not need to make "an offering to the crossroads," in hoodoo, though that is certainly done by some folks who have been influenced by West African religions.

5) In all my many years as a worker, i have never heard that you need to avoid returning to a "used" crossroads or that you should only use a crossroads you won't pass by again. Just go to your local crossroads and do your work, but when you leave it, don't look back. (Maybe folks have confused the idea of "don't LOOK back" with "don't GO back" ? ? ? If so, get over it.)

Thanks for reading this.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:19 pm

See "The Association of Independent Readers and Rooterowkers: The Crossroads." The pictures of crossroads at the AIRR site are worth many thousands of words:
http://readersandrootworkers.org/index. ... Crossroads
catherine yronwode

Chagrinedgirl

Unread post by Chagrinedgirl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:25 pm

The page on AIRR is great, I didn't realize that the rural road crossing RR tracks is a type of crossroads. We have several around here, and after 10 pm or so they're always deserted. I like the idea of a train taking the remains of baths or negative spells far away.
So be it
-Jason Bourne

I'd rather walk in the right direction than ride with my head up my...

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 pm

Ah, a railroad crossing! The genuis of it! Never thought of that...and like magick, another thought follows -- many cemetaries have roads or pathways which intersect different portions of their grounds. That'd be like two for the price of one!
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 am

If you lived in a small town, you'd never be able to go anywhere if you never returned to a crossroads once you'd used it. You'd run out!

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:10 am

Thank you very much Miss Cat for the clarification!
And also, if you are reading this, I am very much looking forward to taking up your course :mrgreen:

And NotDorianGray, I was wondering about the same thing.. Hehe :D

Thanks, everyone, for the input and advice!

blackforrest

Unread post by blackforrest » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:18 am

what if u do turn back? should it mean thatthe spell wont work?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:10 am

If you turn back, then you did not perform the work correctly. And things may not totally work out in your favor.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:15 am

Read the story of Orpheus and Eurydice. Not looking back is very important. Otherwise, you lose what you want and have no faith in the work.

blackforrest

Unread post by blackforrest » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:22 pm

sigh
i threw it on a huge crossroad....
i looked back check if there were on coming cars behind me to cross the road and to see if i did throw it at the centre of the cross road.....

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:19 am

Looking back undoes the work.

It is such a simple thing to not look back -- but some people really cannot do it. They are almost forced againt their will to look back.

Develop your will and you won;t look back.
catherine yronwode

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:47 am

Before I even go to the crossroads...I usually plan the route, and hopefully there is another quick street I can turn on so that it prevents me from looking back At the beginning of this I would put post its or something over my mirrors so I would not look back. I think its really all about planning that way you do not look back. If you choose to get out of the car and throw it at the crossroads then do something that is going to help remind yourself that you should not look back.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 am

A friend of mine told me recently that he found, in a forested area, an intersection where five roads met. I haven't been there myself to suss out the energy, and I don't know if they form a perfect pentagonal shape. But I was wondering if there is any significance to this type of intersection, seeing as how it isn't a crossroad. Thoughts?

I'll report back once I've actually been there.

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Do tell us more, NotDorianGray! And if you can't make it appropriate to the LM forum, do PM me, I am a curious girl!
Psalm 121

neverfit

Unread post by neverfit » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Would this be recommended for actors as well, or something different for them?

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:18 pm

Historically, I believe its a musicians thing, but the spirit that is being worked with bring about all sorts of artistic creativity. Therefore you can use it to help with your writing skill, painting, acting, dancing etc.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

neverfit

Unread post by neverfit » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:52 pm

I've already read Doktor Snake's blurbs on the crossroads rite and Catherine Yronwode's page, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has done it or knows anyone who has and what type of results they got both during the ritual and in their career.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:46 pm

I've done it. I am now a skilled card reader.

I know a guy who did it and he became a successful professional Elvis impersonator. (No kidding, that was the gig he wanted, and he got it.)
catherine yronwode

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:48 pm

I've done it and now I'm a better machinist and metal worker.
HRCC Student #1559

ablake

Unread post by ablake » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:33 am

I searched through the archives on the forum but could not find the crossroads rite.

Can anyone post a link?

Thank you.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:35 am

HRCC Student #1559

Hellokitty
Newly Registered

Unread post by Hellokitty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Okay. I just bought my very FIRST spellkit from luckymojo.com. It took me a long time, but I FINALLY figured it out. I saw some spells on the spell page and a lot of them say this. "the basin of bath-water to a crossroads and throw the water toward the sunrise in the East. Walk back home and don't look back."

But I don't live anywhere near any crossroads. I live where two roads would MEET, but NOT cross. It's like, if you were traveling on one road. You can go in either go left or go right and that's IT. And I would feel like an idiot walking for a mile just to throw water to the East. So, what should I do? Does this mean that the spell won't work for me?

And does it HAVE to be at Sun Rise? See, I'm 20 years old. But I will be 21 years old on February 24th. (So, close to my birthday. So excited.) Anyway, but I live with 3 people in a very small home. I live with my mother, who's dead set against magick, she works at night and comes home sometimes at 3 AM when she gets home early. Mostly at 4 AM, normally. and on rare occasions 5AM. And I want to use magic to get out the house. I used a love spell, because I wanted a person to live with. I mean, yes, I could have bought a job spell. But I don't have a car, and I live in Alabama. You NEED a car in Alabama.

I would love all your different opinions. But please answer the crossroads question, first. Thanks.

HelloKitty

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 pm

These are issues that have been asked hundreds of times on the forum. But you must decide the importance of the results that you want and you will find an appropriate crossroads and get up when needed to dispose of spell remains. Each step involved is important and traditional. You can do a forum search to find what others have recommended.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

thelightfantastic

Unread post by thelightfantastic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 pm

If you want the spell to work, you'll do what needs to be done. It's just that simple. I live about a mile from the nearest crossroads and when I do cleansing work, I walk the mile with my water or ritual remains at dawn and dispose of them. No, it's not easy getting up before dawn for 7, 9 or 13 days straight, but I do it because it's what needs to be done.

It's called spellwork for a reason. It's w-o-r-k. In my opinion, the ends justify the means so I just get on with it. Try to take it one day at a time instead of thinking this one task is impossible just because the solution isn't right outside your door.

As for the rest of your inquiry, I think a reading would be most helpful to you. Good luck.
High praise to Saint Michael for his protection and guidance

Hellokitty
Newly Registered

Unread post by Hellokitty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:47 am

Is there a reason behind why the crossroads are important? And hypothetically speaking, what happens if a person lived 35 miles away from the crossroads? or a place with many twists and turns? I guess they are just stuck looking back. or have to walk 35 miles to the crossroads and 35 miles back home.

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 am

Corssroads have a special significance in hoodoo, which Miss Cat has gone into a lot of detail about on the site. Also, if you do a forum search you'll get a lot more information. It's all been discussed before.

If you live 35 miles from a crossroads, you either drive 35 miles to get there or you make a portable crossroads. Also, I have never met a road so twisty that it turns back upon itself to the point where you'd look right back on the crossroads.

Sometimes the WHY of a thing is 'becasue that's how it's done'. Certain actions gain certain significance when performed a certain way time and time again.

As far as crossroads are concerned, if you dispose of a mess there it can be carried away in all directions. It's like how we used to bury suicides at crossroads sot hat if they arose as a vampire, they'd be confused and not know which way to go.

When you were a kid, was it important to know WHY you had to wash your hands after you went to the toilet? No. No it wasn't, but you did it anyway becasue older and wiser heads told you that you had to. As you became older and more able to understand the world around you, you became capable of understanding concepts like 'germs' and 'contamination' and 'intestinal bacteria'. Magic is similar. You don't necessarily need to know why to start with, because your brain probably won't be capable of understanding. You need to grow and to learn and open your mind. tehre will come a point when you are able to understand why such thigns are necessary. For the very beginner, it's best just to do what you're told.

night

Unread post by night » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 am

Here's another way to look at it, HelloKitty.

The instructions with your bath are a lot like a recipe. You want to make a certain kind of cookie, you gather the ingredients and you follow the recipe. If you follow the recipe exactly, your chances of making the kind of cookie you want are pretty high. If you don't, well, you might end up with a different sort of cookie, you might end up with an inedible mess, or you might end up setting your kitchen on fire and burning down your house.

Experienced cooks know when they can substitute a pinch of this for a sprinkle of that, which steps in the baking process can be omitted or done differently, and which ingredients or steps are essential. And granted, less experienced cooks become more experienced by experiment and accident. But some steps are either really as essential as turning your oven on - it's just how the trick works, and it won't "bake your cookies" if you don't.

Conjure will work better for you if you focus on finding a suitable alternative instead of focusing on what you think you don't have or can't do. For instance, Dorian mentioned "portable crossroads:"

"Not all hoodoo rituals take place at an actual crossroads, but when laying tricks or casting magical spells, many practitioners make use of what can be called a "portable crossroads" or circle with a cross inside, known as an "X" or "cross-mark," generally. The cross-mark may br drawn on the ground or on a personal altar with sachet powders or it may be created quite subtly, with a mere five dots rather than with two crossing lines. In the latter case, the dots go at the four points where the crossing lines would touch the circumference of an imagined circle and at the intersection or center-point of the circle. When drawn this way, the pattern is not called a cross-mark but a "five-spot." Although folklorists tend to call the pattern a "quincunx" and some anthropologists use the term "cosmogram," in actual conversations with real practitioners, you will hear them spoken of like this: "You lay down your salt in the four corners and in the center, like the five-spot on dice" or "Sprinkle your powders in the form of a cross-mark inside a circle" or "They'd lay out powders by the door -- a big old X-mark -- to trick you.

A 19th century pen and ink drawing by E. W. Kemble called "The Hoodoo Dance" documents the practice. If you look closely you will see at the center of the dance floor a clearly marked portable crossroads or five-spot: A piece of cloth is laid on the ground and at the four corners of the cloth are set four candle-sticks with burning candles, plus four identical pieces of herbiage -- judging from their size and shape, either four large Clematis flowers or four carefully opened banana (plantain) skins. At the center-point of this portable crossroads is a small bowl heaped full of herbiage, presumably an offering."
- Miss Cat

There's always a way, baby. Keep an open mind, be willing to let the more experienced cooks guide you.
night

thelightfantastic

Unread post by thelightfantastic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:36 am

Like DorianGray said, if someone lives 35 miles away from a crossroads, they can drive to the nearest one. I also drive to various crossroads to dispose of things because I don't feel like walking 30 miles down the road. There's nothing that says you can apply practical solutions to spellwork. Just because they walked everywhere in the olden days doesn't mean you have to do that today.

If you want to know the whys of something, you need to study to history of hoodoo. Unless something sounds really far fetched (and crossroads/river disposal ain't one of 'em), I don't question tradition because I know it knows more than me.

night

Unread post by night » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 am

I think HelloKitty said she doesn't have a car. Also, she lives with a mother who works nights and comes home/is awake before dawn, and probably wouldn't be too happy to know conjure is going on under her roof. (Assuming you're female based on your screen name, HelloKitty. No offense intended if I'm wrong.)

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:23 am

We dispose of things at the crossroads not only because of tradition, but because it is an important symbol of our work. Simply because its an old practice does not make it anitquated. No matter how experienced a person is, they have no right to cut out the traditional roots of a spiritual practice simply because they feel it's antiquated. If you want to actually succeed and progress in your conjure studies then its best that you learn to accept its traditional symbolism. Conjure/hoodoo is not a set of laws that you have to follow, but rather it is a set of symbols and principles that you must *respect.* I know disposing can be difficult, but it can be done. I have driven a long way to get to a decent river and I too have to walk a bit for my crossroads so I know it can be done.

That being said we dispose of things at the crossroads for several reasons. 1. It is where two roads meet and act as a sort of place where two worlds meet. 2. It draws its origins from the African diasporic beliefs in the spirit of the crossroads (just like the bath itself). 3. It is a powerful symbol of dispersing energy, sending it on its way, or gaining the aid of the spirit of the crossroads.

My dear, hoodoo is not a religious system that demands that you need to do anything. There are several alternatives to each work you are doing. People dispose their bathwater at their front lawn while other toss theirs at a tree that is off their property. You are more than welcome to dispose of the water whichever manner you want, but remember that you cutting out such an important traditional root may very well impact your spellwork. Good luck.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Excellent lesson and truth ConjureMan...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

thelightfantastic

Unread post by thelightfantastic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Well said as always, ConjureMan.

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Some people automatically think of roadways for crossroads, but other intersections can also be used. For example, railroad crossings constitute crossroads, as do intersecting pathways in parks and cemetaries. If you truly cannot get to a crossroads, constructing the five-spot is preferable to omitting the ritual disposal of bathwater or spell remains altogether.
Psalm 121

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:39 pm

Nothing wrong with asking the "how" as well as the "why" behind a particular facet of practice. I believe the "why" was outlined clearly-its the traditional means of dispersing the energy, making a libation, invoking the symbolism behind the place etc.

Hoodoo may have ancient roots, but it's constantly growing and adapting to modern times, but it also manages to hold on to those principles and symbols that form its core and foundation.

Hellokitty
Newly Registered

Unread post by Hellokitty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:12 pm

Hey night. Yes, I am a girl. and No, I do NOT have a car. I've been studying magic (behind my mother's back) all the way back in 7th grade. I successfully casted my first spell in 8th grade. I

Anywho, can you tell me more about the "portable crossroads." I just put an x on the ground with a stick? Do I have to worry about rain?

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”