• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Devil's Shoe String Questions and Answers

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.

Unread postby J Simulcik » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:16 pm

In past days, it was not uncommon for folks to wear an ankle-bracelet made with nine pieces of Devil's Shoestring and a silver dime to prevent being "poisoned through the feet" by stepping in Goofer Dust. -- catherine yronwode

The above is from HITAP. Can devil's shoestring be tied together, or is some sort of twine or string used? I can see in my head both working, but wonder which is the traditional way.

Thanks
J Simulcik

Re: Devil's Shoestrings

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Of course they can be tied together. The trick is to make them STAY tied. :-)

A copper wire wrap would work better than twine.

One loop at the top could be employed for each wrapped piece. Then you'd hang either one or the nine pieces downward, like bells on an anklet.

Alternatively, you could make a jointed anklet by using nine short pieces, each wrapped in wire with a loop at each end of the wrap, then linked together with jump-rings.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Zola Kathryn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:27 pm

catherineyronwode

I hadn't thought of it like this--might actually work better than what I've been trying, hahaha :)
In Service,
Miz Zola
HRCC Graduate #1176G
Zola Kathryn
Forum Moderator

Unread postby J Simulcik » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:59 am

Yeah, I'll admit I didn't even think of wire. Just one of those things where I as a student understand the usage of the material, but not the manipulation thereof. Thanks!
J Simulcik

Unread postby EcleckticMama » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:50 pm

You know, when I read that and about Devil's Shoestrings in Miss cat's Materia Magica, the description didn't mention what part of the plant was used. I pictured it as long stringy roots as the strings. I imagined the nine pieces being strands plaited together (three groups of three). If the plant material is fresh and still pliable, plaiting could still be done to create an ankle bracelet (with enough length and matched pieces).

Going back to read the online book, I see the information includes description of the root/sucker. It has apparently been added since I last read that area.
EcleckticMama

Unread postby Lukianos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:22 am

Devil's shoestring roots tend to be woody, and range in thickness from twine-string to tent post--the latter are great for burying on the path to one's door, but likely less convenient for other applications. Most of the uses referenced require the thinner gauges of root/suckers. I've never had the fortune to encounter the root in its undried form--given its very woody character when dry, you would have to braid it green, if at all. Certainly, you would need the very thinnest roots/suckers to produce a nine-stranded braid that was still comfortably wearable on one's ankle!
Lukianos

Unread postby EcleckticMama » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:54 am

ELKnapp

Yes, I agree. Even with basketry techniques of soaking before plaiting, I'd foresee this being a cumbersome anklet. The more I've thought about it, the more I would veer toward using wire-wrapping jewelry design techniques to create anklet.
EcleckticMama

Unread postby J Simulcik » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:03 am

In my initial question, I was thinking of tying them together end-to-end, and just making multiple wraps around the leg. Not that this would remove the necessity of using thin green roots, mind you! ;)
J Simulcik

Unread postby EcleckticMama » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:10 am

J Simulcik

End to end? No, parallel would be the most functional. Then you would only need one wrap around the ankle. I can sketch this out for you, if you need it, Josh.
EcleckticMama

Unread postby J Simulcik » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:23 am

No, I understand now; Miss Cat's response straightened me out. I was just trying to explain the thought process that led to this thread in the beginning. In asking if string or twine were required, I was attempting to simultaneously ask if it was traditional to only use the plant material as found as well as the horizontal/vertical question. In truth, I was thinking of a smaller version of the grapevine wreaths made by my Aunt when I was younger.
J Simulcik

Unread postby interested » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 am

I have placed a decent large order with LM that includes chinese wash, 13 herb bath, uncrossing, road opener, FWP for now with some candles and several oils. I plan on of course doing the cleaning, baths and road opener in that order. I would also like to know how to dress and use devils shoe strings for protection. I live in an apartment and was thinking about putting them in a pot by my front door, but unsure as to how to dress them beforehand, will they keep for as long as I have the plant, and will me watering the plant take away their effectiveness/purpose? It is not only me that lives in the apartment but my 3 children as well.

Thank you in advance for your help.

By the way I love this site and have learned so much. Thank you Mrs. Cat for this wonderful forum!
interested

Re: Devils shoe string for protectin - how can I dress them?

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 pm

I would dress the devils shoe string with FWP of protection products. Yes you could water the plant. You could tape or stick a couple of pieces above the door frame or you can stick some under a welcome mat or a rug in your home.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jwmcclin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I have worn them in my shoe...

HER-DEV-ROOT
Devil's Shoestrings Root
$3.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby interested » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Wonderful ideas, thank you both for your responses.
interested

Unread postby Turnsteel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:38 pm

A plant by the door is ok, I guess, but not great, not for this. The whole point of Devil's Shoe Strings is to trip and tie up people that walk over them, so a potted plant is not idea, and putting them over the door is, well to me at least, a backwards idea. However putting them under a welcome mat or rug is a great way to adapt the trick to your environment. I agree that dressing them with Fiery Wall of Protection is a viable idea.
Turnsteel

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:27 pm

In the Cat's book, she recommends that you can shield yourself by driving them into the ground on the bath to your home. I am assuming that you could use a plant just like you would if you did not have anywhere to bury spell remains.
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby interested » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:27 am

Thank you very much for your responses, eventhough I don't have a front yard, I will dress them and put some under my front door mat and still put some in a potted plant by my front door. As I'm writing I'm getting a though. I could also get a piece of dressed strings and tape to each window where it is not noticeable to anyone especially my children. I have wood blinds and they are rarely completely open and could possibly work.
interested

PostThis post was deleted on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:59 am.

devil shoe strings

Unread postby mamagunn » Tue May 17, 2011 12:48 pm

I order the uncrossing kit, and on the last step with the devil shoe string do i put all 9 bundle at the entry way of my home or do i spread them out .
mamagunn

Re: devil shoe strings

Unread postby jwmcclin » Tue May 17, 2011 1:35 pm

The 9 devil shoestrings in the bundle should be placed at the entry to your home.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:38 pm

You can put them at your door...around the window of your home. I would make sure that you do some protection work especially if someone is working against you. But it is good to always maintain some protection just from overall daily negativity.
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby MaryBee » Tue May 17, 2011 5:46 pm

What I've done is: take a hammer or mallet and literally *nail* those devil shoestrings into the ground in front of your front door, standing the Shoestrings up on their ends. The Shoestrings are hard enough that if the ground is regular dirt, they should go in.

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.
MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Tue May 17, 2011 10:08 pm

I've seen them burried in a bundle before, but I personally put them up the dirt next to may walk way. I put one every few steps as creating barriers that will tangle up the devil.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Devil's shoe string under my door mat

Unread postby Tabbylove17 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 pm

I live on the third floor of my apartment building and especially with the holidays and packages coming left and right some of the packages are put under my mat, so I was wondering for the sake of keeping them put, could I tape them under my mat, so some doesn't see them and think it's just twigs and then kick them around or something?

Thank you!
Tabbylove17

Re: Devil's shoe string under my door mat

Unread postby MaryBee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:27 am

The traditional way of using Devils Shoes Strings in front of your house to protect it from evil is to bury the Strings in the dirt before your front door. However, as an apartment liver, that is hard to do. You can get a small potted plant and bury the Shoe Strings in the dirt of the plant and place it outside your front door.

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby aniviel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:46 am

I'm sorry for using this thread but seeing as I was planning on opening a similar thread I was wondering, we have two plants by the two sides of our front door.. they aren't really plants per se.. so they aren't in dirt, just in massive vases.. I could put a bit of devil's shoestring in each of them and no one would see them or take them out (as I don't live alone), would that be ok?
aniviel

Unread postby MaryBee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Lalyil:

If they're fake plants, you might be better off dressing the pots with Fiery Wall of Protection oil to keep away any evil from your front door. I haven't heard in Hoodoo of burying Devils Shoestrings in fake plants or soil, it's not very traditional.

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Devil's Shoe String can also be hung up. I saw a charm like this while in Georgia where the family had taken 9 Devil's Shoe String and tied them up with red thread and hung it by their door. Almost like a wind-chime.
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby aniviel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Ok, turns out the plants by my front door aren't fake.. but it's like really long twigs.. they actually look like massive versions of the devil's shoe string lol :) they're in big vases but no soil, so I'm guessing I shouldn't put the devil shoe string there.

ConjureMan Ali, the hunging up idea is quite great. I might do this only at the entrance to my room.

I also made the 9 devil's shoe string in a medicine bottle with whiskey I read on LM.
aniviel

Unread postby Tabbylove17 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:38 pm

All of these ideas are really good I think I'll do the potted plant.

Thanks
Tabbylove17

What about next to my door?

Unread postby RhiannonWyt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 am

I think this is a really pertinent question since so many of us are urban or there are other construction concerns that make burying things in front of our doors (or anyone else's) not as easy as it sounds. Discusssions and shared experiences of other alternatives could be really helpful.

I myself wonder:

Because of a concrete side walk and approach up to my porch the only way I could bury the Devil's Shoestring before my door would be to crawl under my porch. Is that what I should do? What about the space next to my steps that is WAY more accessible?
Rhiannon Wyt
Thank you St. Martha for helping me and granting my petition!
RhiannonWyt

Re: What about next to my door?

Unread postby MissMichaele » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:41 pm

RhiannonWyt wrote:Because of a concrete side walk and approach up to my porch the only way I could bury the Devil's Shoestring before my door would be to crawl under my porch.

That is actually a very traditional way to work.

Is that what I should do? What about the space next to my steps that is WAY more accessible?

That might be an acceptable alternative, especially if you can bury your work there. But the most traditional way is to put the work where someone has to step in it or walk over it.

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:48 pm

They can also be buried along side a walkway. Many houses, apartments, etc have a walk way leading up to the door which often has planters to the side. You bury them leading up to the door so they trip up the Devil.

HER-DEV-ROOT
Devil's Shoestrings Root
$3.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Re: Devil's Shoe String Questions and Answers

Unread postby Blueberry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:37 pm

I have space to plant the Devils shoe string but its only on one side not directly under my door will this still work protection and will the dirt decompose the strings in time? So should I put it in the front garden or more near the front door. Thanks. Also how do you plant them without being noticed.
Blueberry

Unread postby TheSorcerer777 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:12 pm

"...wear 'AN' ankle-bracelet..." Method applies only to wear around one ankle, or both? Because if this applies only to one, I'd like to know if 2 (1 for each ankle) is more effective.
TheSorcerer777

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:01 pm

That sounds like a new twist on the "More is Better" way of thinking. One ankle bracelet of Devil's Shoe String will work fine. IF YOU want to wear two you can, but it won't necessarily make anything more powerful. For example, one silver dime works wonders, wearing 25 of them will not increase the power of the single dime's protection. John the Conqueror Root dressed and held in the pocket is a wonderful thing, but there is no need to dress and stuff all pockets full of them.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Rookie2conjure » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Since my house is all brick, my door step is brick as well. How would I go by putting the devils strings by my door? I have two options:

1. Put them under my door mat, or
2. Hang them like wind-chime right up there from my front door- so when someone knocks the strings would be above the person.

What do you guys think? suggestions...
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
Rookie2conjure

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:57 pm

Hey sweetie :) I have the answer... but do you have Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic ? by Miss Catherine Yronwode?
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Rookie2conjure » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:26 pm

I do, Is the answer in the book?
Rookie2conjure

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Yes, it is in both. Do a search for protection in the upper right hand corner.
Remember what he was told today. He was given advice by the Best today.
Thank you!
Tammie Lee
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Rookie2conjure » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:38 pm

I will do a search... Thank you!
Rookie2conjure

Devil's Shoe String - Protection At Work

Unread postby avaliab » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Has anyone had any success with Devils Shoestring for easing work tension and gaining favor. I do good work, but often get thrown into situations dealing with other peoples work for which I am not trained and get blasted for making mistakes. It is really getting annoying because I feel like I get dragged into a burning house with a small fire extinquisher and get fussed at when things go wrong. I feel like I am being set up to fail.

Anyone have any ideas for success at work and bringing fairness and favor? I have some devil's shoestring, grains of paradise, crown of success powder, steady work powder, and van van and master key oil in my arsenal from Lucky Mojo.

I would appreciate any helpful advice.

Thank you.
avaliab

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:14 pm

avaliab --
I have used Devil'sShoe Strings for protection in social situations, which is -- i think -- what you were asking about.

The spiritual supplies you mention are all good for success on the job. I cannot design a spell for you, but if you read my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" and/or look the items up at both our Lucky Mojo and Herb-Magic web sites, you will see many suggestions. If you wish information about any one item, post in its named thread. If you wish information about a type of situation, such as job getting, then post your questin in the portion of the forum that deals with that condition.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby littlestevie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Does anyone use devil's shoestring in their car?

I make a small spray bottle of protection herbs tea to use at my work place since it's a fairly hostile environment. I was also planning a bit for my car as I've been under attack in several areas of my life and thought more protection can't hurt. I'm making a list for my next LMCC order, which includes Devil's Shoe String for my residence. Now I'm wondering if it's appropriate to use in my car? Maybe tied around a jump ring or something similar, hanging from the rearview mirror like a hoodoo dreamcatcher? Or does it need to be kept hidden to trip up enemies?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Thank you St. Martha for everything you've done on my behalf.
Thank you St. Expedite for your help.
littlestevie

Unread postby Miss Aida » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Good Morning, LittleStevie,
That sounds like a good idea! I like it!
Have you seen this page? It talks about how you can conceal them (or not...depending on you). www.luckymojo.com/devilsshoestring.html
I would personally put them in a red flannel bag www.herb-magic.com/devils-shoe-strings.html
But, that's just me.
Do what your heart and spirit tells you!
Have a good day
PROUD member of AIRR
Find me on the AIRR website
http://readersandrootworkers.org
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby littlestevie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Thank you Miss Aida!
Thank you St. Martha for everything you've done on my behalf.
Thank you St. Expedite for your help.
littlestevie

Please Read Before Posting About Tools, Statues & Cards

Unread postby Lovemydogs » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some direction as to where I can find the forum for Devil's Shoestrings?

Please advise.

Thank You.
Lovemydogs

Please Read Before Posting About Tools, Statues & Cards

Unread postby Miss Aida » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Hello, LoveMyDogs,

Here it is: post137146.html?hilit=devil's shoestring#p137146

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Re: Please Read Before Posting About Tools, Statues & Cards

Unread postby Lovemydogs » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Thank You Very Much.
Lovemydogs

Unread postby Lovemydogs » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello,

I only wanted to ask if when I soak the Devil shoestrings with the John The Conquoror Root in whiskey for 7 days and then rub my money with that whiskey before I go to gamble can I also do that if I am going to play the lottery with that money as well?

Thank You.
Lovemydogs

Unread postby j82 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:17 pm

Lovemydogs,

Yes playing the lotto is still gambling and a game of chance.
j82

Unread postby Lovemydogs » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know what has happened with my Devil's Shoe strings which had been soaking in whiskey now for 8 days with the John the Conquoror Root- what happened was that my mother had gone beside my set up & has knocked it over leaving just a little bit of whiskey remaining in the jar. Do you think I can still use the remaining whiskey to rub on my money now that she's ruined everything?

Thank You.
Lovemydogs

Unread postby j82 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Lovemydogs,

You could use whats left but when an "accident" like that happens its often read as a sign to the work. Seams an obsticle with the work exist or God saying no to this path. You can always try again and see what happens. Or choose a new method.
j82

Unread postby Lovemydogs » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Okay Thank You j82!
Lovemydogs

Unread postby Lovemydogs » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Hello everybody,

would it be alright if I take the whiskey that has been soaking to anoint the lottery tickets that I have purchased with a little bit of Lucky13 oil?

Thank You.
Lovemydogs

Unread postby Miss Aida » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Hello, Lovemydogs,

I would first anoint the end tips with the whiskey.

Let it dry.

Then, use the oil very lightly on the end tips

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby MadameSamantha » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:56 pm

I would be very careful about anointing your lottery ticket. There are rules stating that the ticket cannot be soiled so to speak.
MadameSamantha

Unread postby Miss Aida » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Good point, MadameSamantha !!!

I forgot all about those bar codes that have to be in pristine shape.

Thanks for pointing that out!!!
PROUD member of AIRR
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby Lovemydogs » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:32 pm

Thank You Miss Aida & MadameSamantha. I don't think that I touched the bar codes with the whiskey and the oil as thats at the bottom centre of each ticket. I made a cross pattern over the whole ticket and I touched a dot in the middle of all of them. So I will see.

Thanks a Bunch! :D
Lovemydogs

Unread postby BewitchingBelle » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:35 am

Re the plant itself

Are Drvils Show Strings primarily hobble bush ? Ive read articles about folks (and vendors) using honeysuckle vines instead. Are the Devils Shoes Strings sold by the LMCC always hobble bush ?
BewitchingBelle

Next

• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork