• Advertisement
Association of Independent Readers & Rootworkers

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Hoyt's Cologne Questions and Answers

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo herb baths, crystal salt baths, and floor washes for cleansing, protection, love, health, and luck.

Hoyt's Cologne Questions and Answers

Unread postby Mama Micki » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:14 am

I have been using Florida Water for cleansing my altar and jewelry. In a previous post, Miss Cat stated that Hoyt's was a more traditional part of conjure work and implied that it could be used in a similiar way. I was under the impression that Hoyt's is used primarily to dress mojo bags and oneself for luck. Has anyone used it for cleansing or in another way? Thanks.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Re: Florida Water v. Hoyt's Cologne

Unread postby Devi Spring » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 am

I use Hoyt's when preparing some fixed items for money drawing. However scent-preference varies greatly from person to person, so I don't make much use of it outside of that specific context.

One of the reasons I use Florida Water so extensively is because it's not only effective, but to me the smell is just divine. But I realize that it is more traditionally used in Latino and Afri-Carribbean folk traditions, rather than conjure proper.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:59 am

I have always associated Hoyt's cologne with luck, gambling, and mojo bags. Now, I know there are some references of using Hoyt's cologne for love in Hyatt's work, but I was never too clear on the cleansing aspect of it. I also wash down my altar and its tools with Florida Water.

I would defer to the expertise of Miss cat. Maybe she can advise of what would be great for cleansing the altar or altar tools. Maybe mixing our own wash?
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Mama Micki » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks Devi and CM. I ordered some Hoyt's today and am looking forward to comparing its scent to that of Florida Water.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:45 pm

I use Hoyt's for everything. It smells like Memphis Tennessee, Oakland California, and a hundred small towns in the Sotuh to me.

Florida Water is cheaper by the ounce. Hoyt's is STRONGER, so a little goes longer.

You can mix them too, and the result is a super-nice blend.

Both Hoyt's Cologne and Florida Water Cologne are based on the old original Eau de Cologne of Germany -- Hoyt's is a more expensive, more accurate copy of the original, Florida Water is more dilute and emphasizes a few of the less costly essentials while de-emphasizing the more costly ones.
If you want to smell something near to the original from which both trace their lineage, try 4711 Cologne or Farina Eau de Cologne, both from the town of Cologne (Koln), Germany, where Cologne was invented. Another similar Eau de Cologne of the era, with a bit more of a citrus note, is Imperiale by Guerlain. The latter, like Hoyt's, is often positioned as a scent for men, as it is not ultra-floral. But don;t let that fool you. All of these 18th and 19th century perfumes are very light and natural, not at all like the modern, post WW II concept of a "manly" smell.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

Unread postby Devi Spring » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm sure lots of people really enjoy Florida Water, or it wouldn't have been around for so long! :)

It is definitely a much more intense smell, as Miss Cat says. She's absolutely right in that a very little goes a loong way! I found that out the hard way the first time I used it and I was sloshing it around like I do with the Florida Water! LOL! Now I just use a dab here and a dab there.

It's facinating to me that they are based on the same formula, as the smell is so amazingly different! I would be very interested to to smell the 4711 Cologne or Farina Eau de Cologne. And I'll give mixing them a little try and see what comes of that. I know that I made a lovely spray by mixing some money-drawing oil into the florida water, so it can blend very nicely with other scents.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ablake » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:23 pm

I wore 4711 as a teenager. It has a super clean scent. I wore it after I saw Demi Moore wear it in the 1980s movie "About Last Night". I will have to say though that if you don't like the smell of Hoyt's you most likely won't like 4711. I've smelled both and 4711 is a very "punched up" version of Hoyt's also a lot more expensive.

It has the scent of a blend of bergamot, orange, rose, sandalwood and vetiver.
ablake

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 pm

It may be that what Devi wants is a very diluted or a very "open" scent, or both. We are speaking here of the difference in the amount of alcohol and the amount of essential oils -- with 4711, Farina, and Imperiale having both higher alcohol content and more essential oils per fluid ounce -- and Hoyt's also having more alcohol and more essential oils per fluid ounce than Flrida Water,than Florida Water, but not as much as the three expensive European Eau de Colognes.

Also, the "bouquet" or blended fragrance varies because some of the components of the citrus blend are more expensive than others. For instance, Farina Eau de Cologne and 4711 Cologne score higher in Neroli oil (from Orange flowers) and Pettigrain oil (from Orange leaves) than Hoyt's does, and the two of them, plus Hoyt's, score higher than Florida Water in those notes plus Bergamot oil (from Bergamot Orange rinds). Imperiale has even more citrus than 4711, but still bears the complexity of a true Eau de Cologne.

Neroli Oil, Pettigrain Oil, Bergamot Oil, Tangerine Oil, Grapefruit Oil, and Lime Oil are more expensive than Sweet Orange Oil (from regular Orange rinds) and Lemon Oil (from Lemon rinds), so as the price point of the finished product drops, we find not only a dilution of the alcohol and essential oil content, but also that some of the expensive citrus scents in the original formula are treated as mere "kisses" rather than major notes.

Lanman and Kemp-Murray Florida Water, for instance, places its emphasis on Sweet Orange (from regular Orange rinds) and Lemon Oil, with very little Neroli or Pettigrain and only a modicum of Bergamot, Lime Oil, Tangerine Oil, or Grapefruit Oil. The result, to some noses, is a more "hollow" or "open" scent, without all the filled-in "grace notes" or "complex citrus notes" or "harmonies" that were originally obtained by working with each essential oil from each individual part of the citrus plant and also with citrus plants of several species.

There are other floral essences involved in this family of perfumes too, but that was just a description of the variety you'll find in a series of so-called "citrus-scented" perfumes.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

Unread postby Devi Spring » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Very interesting information. Thank you Miss Cat. It's very true that I generally prefer very subtle and more simple scents. Especially when they are alcohol based type products.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:03 pm

You know, I never thought of mixing Hoyt's with Florida Water. I always split the associations into Hoyt's = Gambling, luck (love and otherwise), mojos and such and Florida Water= spirits and cleansing. But mixing them together and using them to wash altars and altar tools sounds like a great idea. I'm definately going to order some more and try it out.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jwmcclin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:25 am

I love my Florida Water and use it to clean candles...as for Hoyt's cologne, I have not used it to date but I have some in my inventory.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Miss Bri » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:04 am

I'll put in another cheer for Hoyt's cologne--I LOVE it and I use it in most areas of my magical work. I do use Florida water on my ancestor altar and for spirit work, but, I am going to try mixing some with Hoyts--that's a great idea!
take care,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:43 pm

This is a fantastic thread! I just bought 2 small bottles of Hoyts today, at the store, and have already begun soaking High John in one and Rattlesnake Master in the other...

Great information and thoughts from everyone!
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Hoyt's Cologne question

Unread postby cognitivedissonance » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:04 am

I'm preparing my next order after having read HHRM, and I'm going to prepare the lucky High John the Conqueror/Devil's Shoe Strings/Hoyt's Cologne wash as my first dive into the DIY aspect of hoodoo.

Will I need to pour the Hoyt's Cologne into a different container or will I be able to fit the roots into the bottle without slicing them? The recipe says I need a whole HJtC root, so are chips out of the question? And I assume that topping off the cologne with whiskey when it gets down is an acceptable practice?

I'm looking to hear people's experiences with this trick.
cognitivedissonance

Re: Hoyt's Cologne question

Unread postby jwmcclin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:35 am

If instructions say a whole root use a whole root...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Devi Spring » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:47 am

You will not be able to fit the roots into the bottle - you'll need to move everything to a different container.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Turnsteel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:30 am

cognitivedissonance wrote:And I assume that topping off the cologne with whiskey when it gets down is an acceptable practice?

I wouldn't, if your planing on wearing it, you smell like a drunkard. It be better to top it off with more Hoyt's in any case.
God bless you Dr Jose Gregorio Hernandez.
Thank you Saint Expedite
Turnsteel

Unread postby MsSha » Sun May 01, 2011 9:28 pm

I just received my order of Florida Water and planned on using it to wipe down my alter, incense holder, etc. This may sound like a dumb question but when you clean everything using a cloth or whatever, do you HAVE to throw that cloth away since Florida Water is used for cleansing or is it safe to reuse the cloth? Or am I thinking to deeply about this? Just don't want to set myself up for a big mistake. :lol:
I AM WHO I AM AND IT IS WHAT IT IS...
MsSha

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:29 pm

MsSha, these questions about cleansing AFTER cleansing, throwing away even the cloths or bowls used for cleansing seem to only come up in this forum. I have NEVER heard them from practitioners, in my shop, or even from telephone clients who seek my help through rootwork advice and consultations. I think the reason these things come up is that the internet attracts people who are new to root doctoring and conjure and have no experience with it at all, and tend to complicate and complexify it, often from a standpoint of making it more difficult and costly than it need be.

Let's look at the history: Hoodoo is African American folk magic and for hundreds of years, African Americns were slaves and then servants. Only recently have they taken their place as equals under law with white Americans. Due to these conditions, they were kept in poverty and want. You speak of an altar, but in a small house or apartment, 90% of conjure altars have traditionally been located on a nightstand or side-table or vanity or chifferobe or the top of a piano or refrigerator or mantelpiece.

Now let's ask the obvious question: Would the folk magic of a community that lived frugally, due to widespread economic discrimination and hardship, whose very altars were positioned on word-a-day and makeshift items of furniture include such conspicuous WASTE as throwing away a wash cloth every time it was used to wipe down a nightstand or side-table or vanity or chifferobe or the top of the piano or refrigerator or mantelpiece>

The answer is obviously, "No."

Furthermore, for the record, in the days before the invention of plastic varnish, if the furniture was varnished in the conventional way, the use of a caustic alcoholic substance like Florida Water would be damaging to the furniture finish. Most altar spaces are covered with a nice cloth, anyway, and those cloths would have been hand-edged in lace. Would you throw away your hand-made laced cloth every time you wanted to clean your altar.

COL-HOY-02OZ
Hoyt's Cologne, 2 oz.
$5.00

Oh, and last of all, Florida Water was never used in hoodoo until the heavy immigration of Afro-Caribbean practitioners of Santeria got in on the scene. Hoyt's Cologne was our cologne of choice -- and it was NEVER used for washing altars. You would wash the altar cloth by hand in Fels Naptha or Ivory Flakes and wash the altar with Chinese Wash.

And that's the way i still do it, and the only way i recommend that my students work.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

Re: Hoyt's Cologne Questions and Answers

Unread postby Donnalee » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:55 am

Hi All, I just wanted to add my use of Florida Water & Hoyt's. I put a whole bottle of Florida Water in my spray bottle & 2 tbls. Of Hoyt's, I spray my shop every morning when I open & every evening when I close. Everyone who enters makes a comment, that it smells beautiful. I add a whole cinnamon stick to the bottle for prosperity. This is so much nicer than the store bought plug ins & such.
Donnalee G # 1569
Donnalee

Unread postby Devi Spring » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:00 am

Yes, since this thread began I made a spray of 80% Florida Water and 20% Hoyt's and I spritz it over my Prosperity altar each day. It does smell divine!
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Lord SP » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:00 pm

I just bought some Hoyt's Cologne today and I must agree with everyone who's tried it,it truly does smell awesome.I'm going to mix some Master Root in it to see what happens...Later yall
Lord SP

Unread postby heartexalted » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:19 pm

I just prepared an infusion of Hoyt's with seven herbs and curios: High John, Frankincense, Bay Leaves, Bayberry, Five Finger Grass, Sage, and Solomon's Seal. I used seven bay leaves, and I rubbed a different oil on each one (Money Drawing, Money Stay With Me, Crown of Success, King Solomon Wisdom, Van Van, Five Finger Grass, and my 4oz Rootworker's Special), while praying over each leaf individually. It's sitting on my Money/Success altar, infusing as we speak... :D
"Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness."
-Proverbs 8:18
heartexalted

• Advertisement
Missionary-Independent.org

Return to Baths and Washes in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells