• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:19 am

General Herb and Root Magic Questions and Answers

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.

Unread postby nati1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Good evening everyone,

I have read 90% of the book and it is fascinating!!! (I stop and re-read and continue).

My question is, is it my understanding most of the roots can be found in oil or powder form as well? Is this where the worker chooses to use either powder or oil versus the root?

I have a rather lengthy list of items to be ordered and not sure as to order the oil, powder or the actual root. Perfect example is Adam & Eve, there is the root, powder and oil, is it which ever I feel more comfortable working with?

I know that there are some powders in distinct color and an oil would be better as to being unnoticeable. Thank you!!!

Nati
nati1

Re: Uses for Hoodoo Herbs in HHRM

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:16 pm

The major use for herbs, roots, minerals, and so forth is as curios in and of themselves -- that is, as ingredients in mojo hands.

Some curios are added to oils or powders or incense -- others seldom are. Only a few of the natural curios listed in HHRM are the major ingredients in an oil that is named after them -- John the Conqueror Root in oil, for example, or Lodestone Oil.

Adam and Eve root is an endangered species. The oil, powder, and so forth no longer have the actual root in, because collecting it is against the law and against common sense.

Topic is being moved to the herbs, minerals and curios section.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: Uses for Hoodoo Herbs in HHRM

Unread postby nati1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:08 pm

Thank you for the clarification and sorry for the mis-posting. I will continue to read and re-read the contents.

Nati
nati1

Unread postby Silverpony » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Do dried herbs lose their power over time? Say you have a package of pennyroyal that's a couple years old, for example. Will it be as effective as more recently gathered pennyroyal?

(I admit I'm embarrassed to ask this because I'm sure I knew the answer once upon a time, but it's completely gone from my memory. I have a few sage wands for smudging, a couple of which are a couple years old, and though I have been told sage loses its potency after a year they seem to have the same 'nature' as ever to me. I realize that smudging with sage is not a part of hoodoo, however, so I'll be interested in hearing other's answers.)
Silverpony

Re: Shelf life of packaged herbs

Unread postby Lukianos » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi Silverpony,

Most practitioners of hoodoo live in places that have climatically-defined growing seasons. This means that there are portions of the year when fresh herbs are simply not available, barring one's ability to grow them out of season indoors or in a greenhouse (unlike the sub-tropical and tropical Carribean, where fresh plants may be had year-round). As a result, most hoodoo practitioners make use of dried herbs and roots, with no worry of "loss of power", provided the herbs/roots are properly dried/cured and stored so that they do not rot, become infested with insects, or suffer from exposure to extremes in temperature or light. In the case of the years-old pennyroyal, examine the herb, and smell or taste it. Does it still smell like pennyroyal? It is free of mold/insect infestation? Does it appear to be intact and of good color? If yes to all three, it is probably still usable. Some practitioners do use a one-year rule of thumb for leafy herbs (longer for barks or hard roots), but ultimately, direct inspection and knowledge of how the material was dried/stored are likely to be more reliable guides.
Lukianos

Doctrine of Signatures

Unread postby rjwcim » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew a link or any resource to know more about Doctrine of Signatures when it comes to herbs? I know that what they are used for has a lot to do with there shape, color, etc. but was it always like this? are there any conflicting views when it comes to using herbs? and did people learn by trial and error or just knew what to use back in the day? I hope I'm not asking confusing questions :(

Ra'Shay
rjwcim

Re: Doctrine of Signatures

Unread postby Editrix » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Check out the archives of the Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwork Hour (http://hoodoorootwork.blogspot.com/). Two in particular deal with this topic: "Doctrine of Signatures" and "Herbal Medicine and Magic." Both are older posts, so they are fairly late in the list, and both are very interesting. Enjoy!

Stephanie
Editrix

Re: Doctrine of Signatures

Unread postby rjwcim » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:59 pm

very nice, thank you so much =)

Ra'Shay
rjwcim

Unread postby silver_disc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:05 am

I'm planning on getting some glass jars to keep leftover herbs in, so how much (in ounces or milliliters, I'm not too picky!) is roughly the maximum amount of herbs that come in the $3.00 packages of leafier herbs, like for example, lavender flowers?

Thanks! :D
silver_disc

Re: How much herbs go into a average LM baggie?

Unread postby MissMichaele » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:34 pm

The amount of herb in a Lucky Mojo packet varies, because the cost of each herb is different. So each packet of herb is three dollars' worth, whether that's a couple of pinches or almost an ounce.
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Re: How much herbs go into a average LM baggie?

Unread postby silver_disc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi MissMichaele, thanks for responding!

So roughly the "maximum" amount of herbs that I could get is roughly an ounce's worth?
silver_disc

Longevity question

Unread postby chayanna » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:16 pm

I have just discovered that my stock pile of herbs / curios from Lucky Mojo has accumulated to quite a substantial stash... (and I'm expecting more soon ..LOL )

My question is though... is there a shelf life on the various herbs and roots ? I realize the curios are on the lines of living forever type of thing ..but do the herbs and roots go by the same principal ?

Thanks so much, as usual, for all your help, assistant ..and for just being there for us who need these supplies :)
chayanna

Re: Longevity question

Unread postby silver_disc » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:08 am

Hi there,

I have the same problem :lol:

In my opinion, I think as long as the herbs are kept in an air-tight container, and are not exposed to moisture or too much sunlight, they should be fine. You can probably toss out anything that is overly-faded in colour, moldy, or has lost most of its scent. I like to put a small pack of silica gel into the jars my herbs are contained in to wick away any moisture.

Hope this helps!
Annabelle :D
silver_disc

Shelf life of packaged herbs

Unread postby flamethrower » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:45 pm

I know that LM grows most of their herbs, so there's no doubting the quality. However, is there a general shelf life for packaged herbs when it comes to rootwork? My herbs are sealed in baggies and kept at a temperate climate in a box without sunlight exposure, but I wanted to make sure that dried roots purchased a few months or years ago are just as magically potent as herbs purchased last week.
flamethrower

Re: charging minerals w/laser

Unread postby dorothybaez » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:19 am

Wow! Hi, I'm new here....

I had never thought about using a laser on a crystal.

What kind of crystals do you have that can cause headaches?
dorothybaez

Re: Shelf life of packaged herbs

Unread postby Milo V » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Well If it is a whole herb ( Herbae ) it should last generaly for a year . Roots and barks ( radix , cortex ) can last up to two years. That is in general dried herbs shelf life , in conditions that You metonioned. As for magickal purposes, they should be good as long as not rancid, and according to tradition as long as they do not touch the Earth.

Hope it helps. Blessings !
Milo V

Unread postby Lucylookingskyward » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:13 am

I don't think you can charge a stone with a lazer pointer, not to belittle your concept. The concept of charging a stone in sunlight or moonlight (which is a New Age, mostly Wiccan custom) is to infuse it with the qualities and energies of the sun or moon. It's almost like living energy. Putting a man-made light source against a crystal isn't going to give it any more oomph than it would to keep your crystal on your TV or next to your lamps and expecting them to fill up with energy. It's like the difference between Spring Water, Tap Water and Mineral Water. Besides, from what I understand about that particular practice, you charge your stones with energy by channeling your intent through the stone. You cleanse the stone in sunlight or moonlight so that you can use it again and to clear it of negativity.
Lucylookingskyward

Unread postby rocksandplants » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:23 pm

RE headache:crystals that have caused headaches in combination, moldavite+libyan gold tektite+tibetan tektite, phenacite+herderite, (3 tektites being used for rapid transformation), phenacite and herderite used mainly for amplification, usually its people that are very sensitive. RE no charge:there are other products marketed out there from moldavite oil, or charged waters, some using a telescope to amplify light from specific stars, i have used streams to cleanse minerals, although sun and moonlight usually dont cleanse enough, burying minerals works well, as well as boiling minerals with hyssop or other cleansing mixtures( some stones dont work with certain materials, salt corroding (hcl acid) or water soluble crystals like selenite, usually only mainly quartz crystals work with boiling. as for a laser being ineffective, have you tried it? ( LASER= Light Amplifed Solid Energy Radiation) Usually a crystal inside the laser is a ruby or a sapphire, sometimes doped (coated) with another mineral. i find it very effective, charging crystals far beyond what natural energies can do.
rocksandplants

Unread postby hello » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Lucylookingskyward

Agreed.

I know many Wiccans that say that charging them by natural means is to honor nature/Gaia that brings the energy more than simply the projection of light. I think Wiccans are very in tuned with nature which is why they charge things by moonlight or sunlight. Even if you aren't Wiccan, like Lucylookingskyward said, it is mostly a Wiccan custom and that is the reason they chose to charge it like that and it is also very much about intent so i'm not sure a laser would be the most appropriate way to do that....
hello

Unread postby Lucylookingskyward » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:23 pm

rocksandplants

Actually, yes I have tried many different ways to charge gemstones, including something similar to your idea, but this was before I'd done more research into gemstone magic. As I said, taking a lazer pointer, which was created in a factory and designed specifically to be an office aid etc is not going to impart any energy onto a crystal than it would if you kept a quartz next to your TV and hoped that the TV would charge your stone. I'm sorry, but I fail to see how lazer charging works.

To address your other points, I have absolutely seen gemestone waters and oils that have been created with specific intent, but this is typically used in combination with herbs and other essential oils.
Lucylookingskyward

How Big are the Herb packages?

Unread postby Brujita Angelical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:56 am

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I was looking into getting some herbs and herb mixtures from here because they have a bunch that I need that I can never find in the city (guess they are the popoluar ones!) but I cant tell the size or the amount of the herbs that come int he bag. I am referring to the $4.00 ones. are they tiny bags? Unless i didn't see where it says the Oz.

thanks in advance for your help! :)
Brujita Angelical

Re: How Big are the Herb packages?

Unread postby Devi Spring » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:21 pm

There is no set weight that they pack to. They pack as much of the herb as will fit into the bag easily, or with more expensive herbs as much as $4 will buy you.
There is always enough for you to do at least one spell with - usually enough for several. The baggies they use are around 5"x3". They don't pack it fat - stuffing it tight - but it will be enough to fill that bag.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Re: How Big are the Herb packages?

Unread postby Brujita Angelical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:28 pm

oh that sounds fine. I thought the bag were tiny like sample bags but that size should be good. Thank you JuJu!
Brujita Angelical

Fresh or Dried????

Unread postby mmcpower » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:58 pm

I was reading HHRM which I just received and I have a question on the herbs. In some cases is it more potent to have fresh herbs compared to dried? I didn't see anything anywhere about this, if it is posted and I missed I am sorry.

Thansk
mmcpower

Re: Fresh or Dried????

Unread postby Turnsteel » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Dried herbs have been much much more common in hoodoo since the urbanization of southern black people and today no-one bats and eye at dried herbs. Otherwise we'd all have to have herb gardens,lol. Granted I have a garden and I grow most of my own herbs these days, but you won't see a lack of power just because you used dried herbs.
Turnsteel

Re: Fresh or Dried????

Unread postby mmcpower » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks - it good to know :)

I was just curious. I was planning on using the Lavender & roses under the bed for my marriage and I wondered if using the fresh roses was better than the dried ones.
mmcpower

Unread postby rocksandplants » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks lucy, too bad it doesnt work for you, i feel that the abundance of light is more easily shaped and bent into a mineral ( if it wills). I work exclusively with plant and minerals, no animals, but i have no problem with synthetic minerals, as long as they were grown from a seed crystal. (most synthetic minerals are grown from seed crystals in high pressure/heat chemical solutions.) the super 7 crystal is one good example, or theres also the titanium doped quartz, whose name escapes me right now. I recently tested a magnifying glass on identical white quartzes and with the same exposure time the laser exposed quartz was palpably stronger. A laser may have been made in a factory, but it contains a gemstone which is used to amplify the light. Maybe we'll agree to disagree on this one.
rocksandplants

Unread postby CopperFox » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Guys, I'm an amateur gemologist and serious rock hound and this is quite interesting...but this conversation is way off topic. The only stones commonly employed in hoodoo are pyrite and lodestones...minerals used would be assorted salts, alum, saltpeter and magnetic sand. One does not encounter other crystals and gemstones in hoodoo rootwork....they simply would not have been available to the original practicioners. Not to say they don't have their magical uses...if you want to continue your friendly agreement to disagree PM's would be ideal and will prevent the moderators from needing to lock your thread.

Have fun,

Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121
CopperFox

Making a wand out of roots

Unread postby atricus » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:16 am

Has anyone try making a wand out of roots? I have this crazy idea of making a wand with a whole mater root on one end, a calamus root on the other end, and licorice stick in the middle with some small John the Conqueror in the joins of the different root and then covering the whole thing with beeswax to make it look like a real wand. I thought it would make a great altar piece that would have all the energy of the roots well preserved.
atricus

Re: Making a wand out of roots

Unread postby Maljen » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:56 am

I don't think wands are traditional to Hoodoo. If you wanted the energy of the roots, better to just use them I would think, than turn them into something that's essentially decorative.
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!
Maljen

Candle using LM oils...

Unread postby lotusflower » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:35 pm

I recently just dressed a small votive candle with some LM oils. I also put some herbs on the candle as well. It was burning fine all last night and through the night, this morning it was burning fine as well. I left my room for a while and came back and all the herbs were on fire at the bottom of the glass holder making quite a big flame. I let the flame/fire go out on its own, since it wasn't a hazzard. Do you think it only did that because maybe I put too many herbs or oils on the candle, which were then sitting on the bottom of the glass? I also put herbs at the bottom of the glass and on top of the candle. The ones on top of the candle were fine and didn't catch fire. What do you all think? Thanks in advance!!! :)
lotusflower

Re: Candle using LM oils...

Unread postby nena1974 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:38 pm

i think you just had too many herbs.
nena1974

Re: Candle using LM oils...

Unread postby lotusflower » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks! I just looked at the bottom of the glass and it does look like I had a little too many down there, ha.
lotusflower

I got a Bottle of Whiskey & i'm dying to throw some herbs in

Unread postby daemongray » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Hey all, first post, anyway I just bought a bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey for soaking herbs. I figured it should be American whiskey because there were some Irish one's and I wasn't too sure how my devi's shoe string would like that. Anyway but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what I should soak in it. I've heard of a whole bunch of different herbs soaked in whiskey from devil's shoe string to herbs to enhance my "nature." Let me know what herbs work best for you and if I have to use the whole bottle or I can just put them in baby food jars for soaking.
daemongray

Re: I got a Bottle of Whiskey & i'm dying to throw some herbs in

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Well, it's not just a question of throwing herbs in -- it really depends on your objectives. Some herbs and roots are used for protection, some for personal strength, some for sexuality, some for money-luck.

Do you have a copy of "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic"? If so, you can look in the back for lists of herbs by the conditions which they are emplyed to address.

Also, if you see the page on edible herbs in the hoodoo tradition (part of the Hoodoo Foods and Conjure Cook-Off area of the site), you can see a list of edible herbs that are amenable to soaking in whiskey for the making of tonics. The page is here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/conjurecookoffherblist.html

BOO-GRI-HHSC
Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Paperback by cat yronwode
$14.95

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Burn herbs or just carry them?

Unread postby IBube » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Dear Friends,

I am interested in purchasing some herbs from LM like alfalfa and cinnamon powder...but in the descriptions it says that they are to be sprinkled or carried on the person in a little bag. Does that mean that burning them or mixing them with incense powder is inappropriate? Does the smoke not have the same effect as the herb when it is intact, or is the symbolism of burning them just plain wrong?
IBube

Re: Burn herbs or just carry them?

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:49 pm

How you choose to use the herbs would depend on how you work. They can be carried, brewed for bathing (and in some cases to drink as tea or used in cooking), extracted in alcohol, added to oils, burned as incense, and ground to powder for use in sachets.

I think that if you purchased a copy of my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic," these things would be much clearer to you, as i have given 750 different spells in that book for using 500 different herbs by name, as opposed to a line or two of type given about each herb at my catalogue sites. Please order

BOO-GRI-HHSC Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Paperback by cat yronwode $14.95
or
BOO-GRI-HHHC Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Hardcover by cat yronwode $39.95

Also, please note that all of our Lucky Mojo spiritual supplies -- every bottle of oil, and every packet of incense, sachet powder, or bath crystals -- contains herbs and roots. You may read more about how we make our products with roots and herbs on these web pages:

Lucky Mojo Oils: http://luckymojo.com/oils.html
Lucky Mojo Incenses: http://luckymojo.com/incense.html
Lucky Mojo Sachet Powders: http://luckymojo.com/powders.html
Lucky Mojo Bath Crystals: http://luckymojo.com/baths.html
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: Burn herbs or just carry them?

Unread postby IBube » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Catherine,

Thanks! Will do.
IBube

Re: I got a Bottle of Whiskey & i'm dying to throw some herbs in

Unread postby daemongray » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Two things I was planning to do would be to make a hair rub with nine devil shoe strings tied with nine knots of white string as a hair rub for added luck and one with damiana for love. OH and one with ginseng (sang root) to make a male tonic.
daemongray

Unread postby tarotcardfairy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello, this will seem like a novice question, it may have been answered in cat's book (on the way from amazon), I have used Hoodoo items for years, from LM and Karma Zain. Even done some of my own, I have an altar to my Yemaya which she always works!

Here is my question...and this is so novice.....but where does Hoodoo believe the magic comes from in the plants? Perhaps spirits in the plants. That is my question. Why does Hoodoo believe herbs work? What makes them work I mean? What in the herbs or plants?
tarotcardfairy

Re: VERY New

Unread postby Willowspell » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:58 pm

I think that you will find a variation in response to this question. You are pretty much asking Why is it believed that herbs and roots will assist in conjure. Well my answer is simple and my own opinion.

They work because of their basic Natural properties.

A chili pepper is HOT and uncomfortable so therefore it has the energy within it,(when put in the proper direction), to cause discomfort and quick movements, and fast reactions to elevate the effects.

Lavender has a pleasant scent and natural calming quality to it. Have you ever just walked up to a Lavender plant, picked a flower and smelled it? How did the scent make you feel? Lavender is good in love and relaxation matters because it Naturally when in contact with it stimulates your senses to these feelings.

I could go ON and ON. .lol It's relatively simple and practical. This also goes for personal concerns of your targets as well. Semen works well in matters of sex and love because one: it is a biological immediate connection to the target, and two: semen itself is a product of the sex act and love is often tied into having sex.

It all connects and herbs and roots, personal concerns and candles ect. anything that you use to help focus your intent. They have natural qualities that stimulate the senses and natural connections to the intent you aspire to.

Not to mention Centuries of practice, wisdom and experience with these items used in all different methods of spell craft that in general have been said to have similar effects and results . :)
May the Road Rise you meet you.

-Willowspell
Willowspell

Unread postby Devi Spring » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:33 am

We're working with the spirit of the plant, and getting it to work for us. Today some more modern-minded people may prefer to look at it as tapping into the energy &/or natural resonances of the plant and putting that to work for you.

However conjure is a spirit-working tradition, so we tend to treat things as if they are alive (because they are), and ask them to help us out just as if they were a person.

That's why, for example, you can't just dump a bunch of herbs into a bag and have a real working mojo hand- there's an art and skill to being able to call to all the spirits, then wake and energize them convincing them to work for your specific goal.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 am

I agree with Devi's statement and love how beautifully she put it!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Willowspell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:14 pm

"Tapping into" the natural properties and energies of the plants IS utilizing it's spirit. As well as recognizing each plants obvious qualities and effects on the senses of spirit, body and mind. It's in that recognition that in the past and today we are able to best choose the plants that are properly associated with our intent.
May the Road Rise you meet you.

-Willowspell
Willowspell

Where is the best place to store your curios, etc?

Unread postby RedRose » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 am

I store mine in the kitchen especially my high john roots and everytime Im in an argument with my partner its aways when hes in the kitchen near it, I think it empowers him to become more argumentative when hes near it, he doesn't know it but I know its havng an effect on him because when hes away from it he calms down its strange but Im in a small place at the moment and have no idea where to store it because its having effects on people. Good and Bad.
RedRose

Re: Where is the best place to store your curios, etc?

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 am

According to their purpose, is where I respond to this question. For example, I love the Bat Nuts (Devil Pods: http://www.luckymojo.com/batnut.html) for protection (and place them at the front and back door facing outside)
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:41 am

I store all of my "curios" either on top of my altar, underneath my altar, or on the wood shelf next to my altar. I am lucky enough to have a extra, small room for my wife and I's altar spaces, extra altars, bookshelves and cabinets. It is wonderful. I always keep any High John products on top of my altar, but it is because I feel comfortable and content placing them there. Do what feels good for YOU!

Good luck!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:43 am

RedRose, I've never heard of John the Conqueror somehow causing arguments. Remember spiritual supplies don't have the opposite effect of they are intended to for.

Many people have red pepper in their kitchen and their kitchen is the hot bed of fights and arguments.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:20 am

Redrose, I agree with ConjureMan Ali on this -- i doubt that John the Conquer roots would cause fights, but Red Pepper is absolutely known to cause fights and a lot of fighting does take place in the kitchen!

Also, in another thread you stated that you have had OCD, and i feel that your attribution of negative energies to the roots stored in your kitchen may be a result of the hyper-vigilance and anxiety of OCD. Negative ideation of this type is certainly not something associated with spiritual supplies, and i sincerely believe that what you are experiencing is a result of your mental condition, because i know from long experience that it is not a part of folkloric magic or the conjure tradition.

Conjure supplies in and of themselves should not cause social, personal, and emotional problems (but, granted, some herbs may set off allergies in some people).

If there is a problem in your kitchen, cleanse the kitchen and dedicate it as a room where the two of you will experience peace, happiness, and comfort. Take control of your space.

As for the original question -- i store my supplies on and under my altars (in drawers), and in decorative boxes and jars on my bookshelves near each altar. Because i run a conjure shop, i no longer keep a separate stash of herbs -- i just grab them from the shop as needed -- but when i did not run a shop, i kept the herbs in small matching jars, each nicely labelled. The bottles of oil i sometimes kept on top of their relevant altars, as images on the oils helped me focus on the work of those altars. I am sort of an altar-building nut -- i have lots of 'em.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby jwmcclin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Apparently I read this post wrong, you are referring to the 'extras'! I have colored boxes according to their purpose, I keep them in various locations that only I know. Red boxes (love items), Green boxes (money items), Yellow boxes (Career/Success items) so forth, so on... Although I do keep candles in separate storage boxes.
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Importance of working with the Herbs and Roots and Minerals

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:24 am

Often, when people are new the The Forum many of us want to welcome them in and recommend Hoodoo in Theory and Practice and Hoodoo in Herb and Root Magic, both by Miss Cat, to help and get the ball rolling in the learning process. There are also a few threads where in the middle of the thread we share what we might have done differently from the beginning, if we could roll back the hands of time. In my case, I did not order Hoodoo in Herb and Root Magic for several months and have openly stated previously, I would have been leaps and bounds ahead if I had just done what I recommend to others now: to order the Book!
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html

This thread is about the Herbs and Roots. (see link and order the Book)
Need some protection? Look at what Devil's Shoe Strings and a Devil Pod can do. Need some money??? BLUE FLAG ( :) ) and Alkanet. Need to spice up your love relationship??? Bloodroot and wintergreen. There are so many great herbs and roots... This is "Rootwork". Many of the roots and herbs in the book have more than one purpose. Most of them are in the $3 to $4 range. You'll spend more than that on a hot lunch!
http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatherbs.html link to list from complete inverntory
http://www.herb-magic.com/six-herb-special.html (6 Herb special with a Free Red Flannel bag!)

For some of you that might be doing your first new orders, include a Lodestone and John the Conqueror Root if you read what these two can do you'll see why this is recommended.
Link to Lodestone:
http://www.luckymojo.com/lodestone.html
Link to John The Conqueror
http://www.luckymojo.com/johntheconqueror.html

Try new things when you order, enjoy learning, and share in your results on The Testimonials section!!!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Re: Importance of working with the Herbs and Roots and Minerals

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:57 am

A proper introduction and refresher for all on here. I think that gentle nudges in the right direction for "newbies" is an invaluable service! Hooray for Triplethreat and this thoughtful directional!

-Joseph M
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:08 am

I second that Joseph.
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Miss Bri » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:12 am

Triplethreat,
I think this is an excellent reminder. Herbs, roots, curios, and personal concerns are really the cornerstones of our magical practice. I think often candles take precedence in folks' minds but there are SO MANY tricks detailed in HHRM that do not involve candle work--perfect for clients who are unwilling or unable to burn candles. And even for those who love burning candles--there are many other directions that can be pursued as well and in some cases may be more appropriate.
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:16 am

Agreed...also, I have found that the more herbs and roots I work with the more I can factually realize that some speak to, as well as work with, me more than others do. Reach out to a handful of curios, herbs, and roots at first and see what initially grabs you, spins you around, and shakes your hand! Now you're cooking!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby snake » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:25 pm

I love this tradition because it is so strongly based in herbal magic. That was part of the original appeal to me. Now that I'm getting ready to send in my final course homework all I can think about is how much I really just want to work with the herbs and roots. Candles are nice but I'm really an herb kind of gal.
snake

Unread postby Buttercup » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:53 pm

Joseph Magnuson

I could not agree more! Reading about the herbs and roots is one thing; actually holding them and feeling the different energies they carry is a totally different thing. I'd been reading about Queen Elisabeth root for a long time, but I never expected what I felt when I actually held one in my hand for the first time. It was like a current of electricity was running through my whole body,starting from my hand! And this is just one example. There were numerous times when the energy of a certain herb or root felt completely different than what I imagined when I was reading about it. Working with herbs and roots that speak to you gives a whole new level of confidence in your work before you even start it!
Buttercup

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:26 am

These are all great shares! Thanks all! I felt the same way. Recently one of my orders consisted of mostly herbs and roots, and I was inspired to share this with y'all because of just how important they are in what are learning and working on.
We are blessed in having many brilliant minds on this Forum and so many with great big hearts!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks, Triple -- you are so right! The practice of conjure is called "rootwork" for a reason! :-)
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Papa Newt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Well, pun intended or not, having strong roots is very important ;-)

Thank you so much for the inspiration and refresher Miss Triple! :D
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!
Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Next

• Advertisement
Herb-Magic.com

Return to Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork