Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Hello everybody ^_^

Inannon
Newly Registered

Hello everybody ^_^

Unread post by Inannon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:15 am

Hello to everybody, my name's Inannon and I'm a Greek native living in Spain..
every since I got involved with the witchcraft, I felt a connection to the terms of Voodoo (Vodun) and Hoodoo.. Although I got some basic knowledge about it, still trying to receive an ''ok'' if this is the right spiritual path for me.. :D

kisses and nice to meet ya all.
Inannon.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Hello everybody ^_^

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 am

Hello, Inannon.

Voodoo is a religion (spiritual path). It originated in the area now known as Benin, in West Africa. A major variant or derivative form of it developed among French-Creole slaves in Haiti, in the Caribbean Ocean, where it acquired characteristics of Catholicism. After independence and end of slavery, it remained isolated for decades, but in recent years, a re-Africanization of Haitian Voodoo has led some (but not all) practitioners to limit or remove the Catholic aspects of practice. The word Voodoo is translated into English as Spirit. The religion of Voodoo, in its various forms, is like any other religion in that it has its own clergy, liturgy, and creed.

Hoodoo is a form of folk magic. Its practitioners are primarily African American Protestant Christians. Their spiritual path is Christianity. It developed primarily in the slave holding states of the southern United States and spread north rapidly during the early 20th century as African Americans settled in urban areas above the old Mason=Dixon line. The word hoodoo is Gaelic (Scottish and Irish) and means an eerie or spiky ghost or a haunting or haunted place (and was, in ancient times, related to Gaelic beliefs about the spiky Hawthorne tree). It entered African American speech as a loan-word via the contact that African American sailors and longshoremen had with Irish, Scottish, and American Scots-Irish sailors and longshoremen during the 19th century. Hoodoo, not being a religion, has no clergy, liturgy, or creed; rather, its practitioners generally hold to the liturgy and creed of Protestant Christianity, with a small number avowing adherence to Catholic Christiany or to Spiritualism, according to the beliefs of their families or their own personal inclinations. .

Do not confuse words that rhyme. Do not think that all people with dark skin are devotees of a pantheon of deities and lesser spirits from Benin.

Observe.

Ask.

Study.

Learn.

You can read a lot more about these subjects here:

Hoodoo History:
http://luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

Hoodoo and Religion:
http://luckymojo.com/hoodooandreligion.html

P.S. The English-language word "witchcraft" used to have one meaning -- the English practice of folk-magic and folk-medicine. Since the 1950s, it has developed a second meaning, and -- spelled with a capital W, as Witchcraft -- it may now refer instead to a new or revivalist religion (or spiritual path) that includes elements of goddess-centered or nature-centered worship and veneration with its own clergy, liturgy, and creed.

Good luck -- and if you are interested in the folk-magic of African Americans, you have come to the right pace.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Hello everybody ^_^

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, Inannon.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “2013 Public Forum Introductions”