Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Hello from french alps

summ3rland
Newly Registered

Hello from french alps

Unread post by summ3rland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:55 am

Hi, I'm a 29 french guy interested in hoodoo (theorical approach, reading and re reading the few material on the subject i come across) for some years now. Currently reading a book by Momma Starr, i decided to join your discussion board to read/learn, in a more practical way about hoodoo.

Understanding it's a forum about Lucky Mojo products, i will just, in this introduction, try to give few background points on myself, hoping it won't be too far from the subject. I have studied "folk magic" through my french and bit "occultistic" filter for a little more than a decade. Before the great "neo-wicca heat wave" reached the french occult librairies, the "big" of magic material at the disposal of "students" was, on one hand classical semi masonic/hermetico/ceremonial magic derivate from Cabbala ( Papus, De Guaïta and friends) and on the other traditional french folk magic so called "magie des campagnes" that encompass a great variety of folk catholic syncretic practices coming from various French regions. Middle road is the “grimoire” which is, usually, a mix of both giving it this unique “French magic tone”. So I struggled for a long time between the both being, as the a big part of my generation, raised in a strong humanist atheistic atmosphere.

Particularly concerning the syncretic aspect, as beautiful it seems to me it has been a real “education” for me to understand this, after all, natural way for a population to integrate “evangelization”. Anyway, with time I finally accepted my Judeo-christian “magic cultural coloration” but was confronted to the “fragmentation” that these practices suffered, following the French “centralist” politic from the 19/20th century that tried to erase regional languages through education…(another subject, but one of the roots of the rarefication of these practices) and, of course, the “rational humanistic” spirit that fought catholic faith as well as folk magic linked to it. We still, in France have “nests” of folk magic as Berry but the so called “superstitious practices” seemed to aligned themselves on the 19th model imposed by the “magnetism/radiesthesiste” school which left us with few “guerisseurs” and “rebouteux” using a pseudo-scientific language, conserving very few of “old ways”. A direct example, for me, of that was my grand aunt that still cured warts with beans and secret prayers but refused to use “the other witch stuffs” that she learned when she was young considering that it was only superstition. Here lies the French magic paradox for me. ( Being a continental French I don’t include in my approach particular zones like Corsica or French Antilles which developed their own magic syncretism, another subject again…).

Anyway, my search for a local Christian “witchcraft” seemed vain, for a while and I still, today feel frustrated. This frustration get more serious as I settled in Greece, being practically married to a greek citizen, and I discovered a vivid and beautiful orthodox folk magic tradition ( filaxtoi, matiasma/evil eyes practices , cafeomancy etc..) through my stepmother and friends. But, I can’t explain why I still feel “illegitimate” to use those tools, not being a part of the greek cultural stratification and, even worst, non-orthodox. Anyway, what drove me to hoodoo, through the lucky mojo “online book”, at first, was my search for a folk magic tradition that I can relate with, proposing a “system” and a tradition that didn’t suffered too much of “rational hegemony”. Even if I’m not African or American, I still feel, after a lot of back and forth due to my cultural background and location, a strong “bound” to the cultural stratification of hoodoo and, maybe thanks to globalization, can relate in a very natural way, to this “system”. I don’t know what to expect from my search in this area, but I think this place is one of the best to learn about conjure ( away from fashion phenomenon, drama about “authenticity” and, more simply, fraud ). I close here this very long introduction, hoping it’s not to confused and that my English is not too strange. Excepting to exchange and learn at your contact.

Have a good day/evening/night.

aura
Forum Moderator
Re: Hello from french alps

Unread post by aura » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:59 am

Bonjour et bienvenu au Forum! I'm a distantly-related cousin from ''La Belle Province'' out in Canada.

It's nice to have you with us and I encourage you to read the following forum thread which will have quite a bit of food for thought you can digest given your intro:
basic-understanding-of-traditional-afri ... 53904fcf4a

Here are a few of the most popular pages for you to browse. And, some forum rules that we ask everybody to read.

Hoodoo History:
http://luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

Oils:
http://luckymojo.com/oils.html

Baths:
http://luckymojo.com/baths.html

Powders:
http://luckymojo.com/powders.html

Incense:
http://luckymojo.com/incense.html

Candles:
http://luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html

Herbs:
http://herb-magic.com

Conditions and how we can address them:
http://luckymojo.com/hoodooataglance.html

Here is some info on how the forums are set up. It is divided into four parts:

1) News and Announcements about the Lucky Mojo Curio Company and this site.

2) Lucky Mojo Spiritual Supplies and how to use them, listed in threads by product type and product title.

3) Life Conditions and Situations, with recommended Lucky Mojo products, spells, and advice.

4) The Online Hoodoo Community, including sites, events, and outreach sponsored by Lucky Mojo.

When you post, it helps your moderators, who are recompensed volunteers, if you post in the area of the board that is best suited to the archival of your question or comment. That way moderators will not have to move your post or merge it into ongoing threads.

If you can't find a post you made, it may have been moved or merged. Go to your profile by clicking on your name and "search recent posts" -- you will find it.

Within each board section there are STICKY threads -- ones that always stay "stuck" to the top. These are popular discussion-threads that you can read and add to if your questions or comments fall into one of these oft-broached topics. If you don't see a "sticky" that relates to your question, feel free to start a new thread in the relevant section.

We do have a few "thou shalt not" rules here, and they can be found in the Forum Rules link at the top of each page. Most important for newbies are these four common errors to avoid:

1) Please do not come here asking for our formulas for conjure oils or for instructions on how to use spiritual supplies that you bought at a grocery store or at a competitor of ours; this is the Lucky Mojo Forum and is financially supported by the Lucky Mojo Curio Co.

2) Please do not spam the moderators by sending multiple duplicated private messages asking for personal help outside the board; many of our moderators do perform readings and rootwork spell-casting for clients, but they are professionals and you should approach them as you would any other professional.

3) Please do not post illegal copies of material from other web sites or from books.

4) Please do not post put-downs of any group of people based on their religion, race, or national origin, including derogatory comments about religions to which you may have previously been an adherent or comments in which you seek to falsely conflate any religion with the practice of evil sorcery.
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

Miss Phoenix
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Phoenix » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:55 am

Greetings and welcome to the forums! My mother is French and my father Norwegian, I've looked a lot into the folk traditions of both my lines of heritage. Neat stuff!

I hope you enjoy exploring the forums, there is a ton of great information here.
Miss Phoenix - HRCC Graduate-Apprentice #1834
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:55 am

summ3rland, I enjoyed your thoughtful post. I'm looking forward to your questions and contributions to this forum.

Best of luck,

Miss Michaele
HRCC Graduate #0361 - Forum Moderator
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

summ3rland
Newly Registered

Unread post by summ3rland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Thank you for the welcoming words and the links to the material that enjoy re-reading. Et ravi de constater une présence francophone ici.
Thank you again. And "bonne chance" to you too.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:40 pm

summ3rland, schedule an hour to listen to The Lucky Mojo Rootwork Hour. You will be in for a treat!
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Susan Barnes
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Susan Barnes » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:04 am

A warm welcome to you, summ3rland!
So nice to meet someone from such a beautiful and magical land!

Susan
HRCC Graduate #1632 - Member of AIRR - Member of Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Moderator

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “2013 Public Forum Introductions”