Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Hello from Iowa! Topic is solved

Nokturnel

Hello from Iowa!

Unread post by Nokturnel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Hey everyone! My name is Fenryn and I identify as a Pagan. I've been interested in all things metaphysical for quite a long time. I'm currently 21 years old and have been studying for 7 years or so. Hoodoo came to my attention a few years ago, after I graduated high school, but at the time I didn't think much to go research it. This is what I'm doing now. When I say that I'm new to hoodoo, I mean very new! I haven't purchased anything, not even books yet. I'm literally just learning about this from this site. I want to learn as much as I can. I'm really not sure where to start and this place looked like a great place to learn.

CopperFox
Re: Hello from Iowa!

Unread post by CopperFox » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi Fenryn, welcome! If you want to learn about hoodoo, you're in the right place.

Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

Nokturnel

Unread post by Nokturnel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:25 pm

CopperFox wrote:If you want to learn about hoodoo, you're in the right place.

Michelle

This certainly seems like the right place!

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:21 am

If you seriously want to learn, get a copy of Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic. If you buy it from LM, Miss Cat will autograph it.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Nokturnel

Unread post by Nokturnel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:55 am

Thank you =) I was looking into buying this book as I've seen it referenced quite a bit. I'm very excited to purchase this book!

CopperFox

Unread post by CopperFox » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:43 pm

While you wait on your copy of the book, don't neglect to read through the LM webpages -- they are an amazing resource. I love the free spells archive and the pages from Hoodoo in Theory and Practice. Taking Ms. Cat's rootwork correspondence course is definitely on my agenda for sooner than later; her grasp on the subject and ability to convey the knowledge she has is wonderful.
Psalm 121

Nokturnel

Unread post by Nokturnel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 pm

I've been poking around on the site for a little while now, I've been reading about as many things as I can here. This site is a wonderful resource it seems and I'm enjoying it.
My ultimate goal, I believe, is the correspondence course. I absolutely love learning and learning from a teacher would be absolutely amazing. That's my ultimate goal and I hope I achieve it sooner rather than later.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:55 pm

I graduated from the Course last month and highly recommend it. You need to be a regular customer first, so order a few things and try them. I have purchased supplies from a lot of different vendors, but LM is the best!
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Livia Indica

Unread post by Livia Indica » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:34 am

Howdy neighbor! I don't know why but I was surprised to see someone from Iowa here. I guess those of us interested in hoodoo and rootwork come from all over! Nice to meet you. I also highly recommend devouring the entire Lucky Mojo site. It's a treasure to be cherished and I recommend it to anyone who will listen to me!

CopperFox

Unread post by CopperFox » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:42 am

@ Cleopatra --
I agree, LM's supplies far exceed the quality of those I've found anywhere else, at any price. I had gotten so fed up with being sold cheap, mass-market bosh that I had pretty much started making everything but candles on my own. Not only is that time consuming, but it really limited my access to certain supplies and at times was rather pricey. I still wildcraft/grow the majority of my own herbal/root supplies as my area is blessed with an abundance of the botanicals used in hoodoo/hex; but it is so nice to be able to order up some premade incense and oils and KNOW they are the real deal. In fact, I believe I am getting a little spoiled -- stuff I could easily make myself, like bath crystals, I find I prefer to order from LM! The price is right and they smell so amazing!

I have even ordered a couple of spell kits now, as the cost comparison per item is like getting 1-2 items free. In the past I would have snobbed a premade spell kit, thinking it couldn't have possibly been anything a serious practicioner would be interested in. Not so at Lucky Mojo -- the Attraction kit had everything I needed to start some seriously successful money work, plus enough left over to do a honey jar for my sweetie. (I added in the herbs and candles for the honey jar, but the oils, powders and bath crystals were supplied generously enough to do a 2nd job.) I am now waiting to receive the Love Me spell kit -- it has pretty much everything one needs to make a Nation Sack and is one of the best values LM has. SO excited about getting my next order!

Congratulations on graduating from the course and I too look forward to someday being able to refer to Ms. Cat as "my teacher."

Take care,
Michelle
Psalm 121

Nokturnel

Unread post by Nokturnel » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Livia Indica wrote:Howdy neighbor! I don't know why but I was surprised to see someone from Iowa here. I guess those of us interested in hoodoo and rootwork come from all over! Nice to meet you. I also highly recommend devouring the entire Lucky Mojo site. It's a treasure to be cherished and I recommend it to anyone who will listen to me!

As far as my area goes, it's diverse but at the same time there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in other religions or the occult. It's awful, the only time I get to talk to others about such things is online but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. So I don't blame your being surprised to see someone from Iowa here haha. I don't know any other Iowa Pagans who practice hoodoo, it's really something different around here.

Livia Indica

Unread post by Livia Indica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:46 pm

I don't know any other Iowa Pagans who practice hoodoo, it's really something different around here.

I'm in the same boat in these hills. I have one pagan friend who knows a little about hoodoo and there's one Voodoo lady who knows a lot about it but neither of them practice. I think I'm the only pagan hoodoo practitioner I know IRL. But it seems to be gaining amongst the pagan community little by little; I guess you and I proof of that!

Nokturnel

Unread post by Nokturnel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 am

Even within the livejournal communities I haven't heard of too many Pagans who practice hoodoo. Maybe it's just not talked about as much? I'm not sure, you'd think it would be more common. Or at least I thought it would be more common.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Hoodoo/conjure has a strong Christian element to it which might repell some members of the Neopagan community as the neopagan momvent is seen, sociologically, as a reactionary movement to "organized" religion. Hence, why not many Neopagans are overly interested in Hoodoo, from what I gather. Furthermore, the Neopagan movement tries to tie itself with Wicca and Celtic traditions and therefore usually tend to work within those folk traditions.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR

Nokturnel

Unread post by Nokturnel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 am

ConjureMan wrote:Hoodoo/conjure has a strong Christian element to it which might repell some members of the Neopagan community as the neopagan momvent is seen, sociologically, as a reactionary movement to "organized" religion. Hence, why not many Neopagans are overly interested in Hoodoo, from what I gather. Furthermore, the Neopagan movement tries to tie itself with Wicca and Celtic traditions and therefore usually tend to work within those folk traditions.

This makes sense, which is actually kind of sad to be honest. Just in the sense that people should be more open minded about such things. I have absolutely no problem with Christianity, it just didn't fit me the best. As far as the Wicca and Celtic traditions, I don't want to say I stay away from them but I lean towards other things.
Thanks for your reply, it makes a lot of sense.

Roderick

Unread post by Roderick » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:56 am

Hi everybody..
Thanks for sharing information..

lancemfoster

Unread post by lancemfoster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:05 am

Good to see someone from Iowa! I went to Iowa State in Ames where I studied anthropology and landscape architecture. I am also an Iowa tribal member, aka Ioway. I studied some of our traditional spiritual system and spirituality while I was there. I am now in Montana. I wrote the book "The Indians of Iowa" which you might want to check out some time.

Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to “2009 Introductions”