Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Hello!

TheBushHippie
Hello!

Unread post by TheBushHippie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:02 pm

I obviously just joined this forum, but have experience with many other unrelated forums. I am not myself a practitioner of Hoodoo, but I am rather perplexed about something.

I live in the NW corner of North Carolina (just outside of Boone.) I have been in this area for years and I spend a lot of time in Pisgah National Forest as well as the woods surrounding my house. There's ancient "black magic" floating around in the southern hill country. I say this because this mountain range is among the oldest mountain ranges in the world. Imagine what those mountains have seen! Having been to wilderness areas all over the US, I can say that the southern Appalachians have a mystical, slightly dark feel unmatched by anywhere else i've visited. My heart rate has gotten pretty high out there hiking around alone. It's an incredible place to recreate, but It's almost as if the mountains are trying to communicate something deeper, something forbidden. It's something you feel deep within your psyche. The winding, twisting switchbacked trails, the dense forest, it's like walking through a dark green labyrinth of rhododendron that can suffocate you if you think too hard about it. But my friends, when you spend enough time there you truly become one with the dark forest. You learn it's patterns, you learn how it gives life and takes it. It's a far more profound wilderness experience than i've had anywhere else in the country. I've been here for many years, but have yet to decipher exactly what Mother Appalachia is trying to convey.

Now here's where the Hoodoo comes in. I get the gist of what it is and how it originated. It is my understanding that Hoodoo is still practiced in rural areas and remote locations throughout the southeast. I'm not usually into this kind of stuff, i'm a "natural explanation" type of guy. The reason i've started researching this topic is because of the strange "feeling" that I get here. Even living just outside of town there's enough wooded area around my little shack that I can feel it here too. Especially when I get close to the 100+ year old oak just down the trail from the house. It's not like a human presence, but it's more of a residual aura or some kind of lingering energy with a hint of malevolence or darkness. IDK how to better explain it. Originally, Hoodoo had not even slightly crossed my mind, but I came across a book in a bookstore that I frequent. It's called "Staubs and Ditchwater: A friendly Guide to Hillfolks' Hoodoo" by Byron Ballard, a western NC native. I thumbed through it and payed it little mind, but I keep thinking about that book and if it might have some answers for me about these strange feelings I get out here. I'm still skeptical, but awfully curious about this ancient practice. I figured if anybody knew anything about it I might find them here. Oh, and the predominant Native American tribe in this area were/are the Cherokee if that helps. I know local tribal belief and herbal ritual have a lot to do with conjure.

P.S. If any Mod feels the need to move this thread to another area of the site please feel free.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
Re: Hello!

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums TheBushHippie. I enjoyed reading your above post and wish I could be of more help to you.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

MoonBreath

Unread post by MoonBreath » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Howdy and welcome! I want a copy of that book as soon as Amazon gets more in stock! I love folklore and have a number of similar books, but had not heard of this one - thanks for mentioning it. :)

You know, some hill folk would use trees in their folk magic. They might throw something at a tree and walk away or nail something to a tree ( the tree would eventually grow around this object ). Maybe someone died near the tree and you are sensitive and picking up on it.

I know what you are talking about ... regarding the Smoky Mountains. I can feel it too. I am in the Rocky Mountains at this time and the vibe is totally different. Also, I read on a site about West Virgina that Native Americans believed the dark hollows of that state had evil spirits in them. That's not too far from you - same mountain range. Maybe the Indians were spot on? But, like I said before, I know what you are talking about. Being in those mountains makes you feel like you are in some sort of misty, fairy tale forest. It is beautiful and magical ... but there is a definite darkness ... a danger that can come on you. It is weird.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:22 am

We have a lot of forests here in the Pacific Northwest, but I never felt anything malevolent or spooky. Must be a regional thing. Anyway, welcome to the Forum!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:53 am

Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forum!
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

TheBushHippie

Unread post by TheBushHippie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 pm

MoonBreath wrote:Howdy and welcome! I want a copy of that book as soon as Amazon gets more in stock! I love folklore and have a number of similar books, but had not heard of this one - thanks for mentioning it. :)

You know, some hill folk would use trees in their folk magic. They might throw something at a tree and walk away or nail something to a tree ( the tree would eventually grow around this object ). Maybe someone died near the tree and you are sensitive and picking up on it.

I know what you are talking about ... regarding the Smoky Mountains. I can feel it too. I am in the Rocky Mountains at this time and the vibe is totally different. Also, I read on a site about West Virgina that Native Americans believed the dark hollows of that state had evil spirits in them. That's not too far from you - same mountain range. Maybe the Indians were spot on? But, like I said before, I know what you are talking about. Being in those mountains makes you feel like you are in some sort of misty, fairy tale forest. It is beautiful and magical ... but there is a definite darkness ... a danger that can come on you. It is weird.
West Virginia is known as a hotbed of really strange happenings. It's good to know someone out there has had similar experiences!

Thanks for the warn welcome everyone :D

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “2012 Public Forum Introductions”