Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Herbs and Roots LMCCo Doesn't Carry: Questions and Answers

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.
Ms Tina
Herb Seeds

Unread post by Ms Tina » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 am

Hello,
I don't know if this has been addressed before...Would it be possible to plant the herb seeds to grow your own plants?
Peace,
Ms Tina
HRCC student #1638

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Herb Seeds

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:59 am

Are you asking if you can grow your own plants for use in conjure? Of course you can.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 am

Ms Tina wrote: I don't know if this has been addressed before...Would it be possible to plant the herb seeds to grow your own plants?

Not only possible, but please do so if you can! Getting that much closer to the herbs, roots, and plants will only cause a stronger bond with said ingredients. Good luck!

-Joseph M
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Ms Tina

Unread post by Ms Tina » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:15 am

Hi Guys!
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant could I grow plants specifically from the heb seeds that Cat sells, i.e., I've bought cumin.
Thanks,
Ms Tina

Miss Ida Lundin

Unread post by Miss Ida Lundin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 am

Now I don't know Lucky Mojo's sources, but generally you can try and grow the seeds. The seeds have not been tested for growablility (I make up words as I need them) such as seeds bought specifically for gardening. Often they work fine for growing anyway. [Do a genrmination test before planting out garden rows. -- cat]

Cumin takes a long time to grow, it's not well suited as an indoor houseplant and it's an annual plant.

So I say, try it out and see if they grow, Good Luck!

broomhilda
Dirt Dauber / Mud Dauber Wasp's Nest Dirt

Unread post by broomhilda » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 am

I heard Ms. Cat talk about dirt dobber(sp?) nest dirt in a fidelity/strong relationship spell. I have searched for more information about this on this forum & lucky mojo site. If anyone can direct me to where to find the info I would really appreciate it. I do have access to a nest I just need to know what to do with it. Thanks.
Blessings,

Broom : )

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Dirt Dauber / Mud Dauber Wasp's Nest Dirt

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:26 am

Hi, Broomhiloda -- basically, Dirt Dauber Nests are administered to men to keep them "domestic," but you will find a great deal of detailed and specific spell work information about other spells with Dirt Dauber Nests and exactly how to use them in folk magic in my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic." At $14.95 for the paperback edition, this book will provide you with a LOT MORE information that you can obtain for free at this forum or on my various web sites. You can buy the book from me (in which case it will be autographed) or via amazon (in which case it will not be).

Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic, paperback by Catherine Yronwode
4th edition; originally published in 2002. BOO-GRI-HHSC $14.95

Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic, paperback by Catherine Yronwode
4th edition; originally published in 2002. BOO-GRI-HHHC $39.95

Read more about "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" here:
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html

# 224 pages, available in trade paperback softcover ($14.95) or limited edition clothbound hardcover ($39.95).

# 500 herbs, roots, minerals, and rare zoological curios, with taxonomic ("Latin") names for proper identification.

# 750 traditional spells, tricks, and magical recipes. These are complete, easy-to-use, and highly practical, designed for readers who want to go beyond the "romance" or symbolism of herb magic and actually mix up and make their own potions, dressing oils, bath crystals, incenses, floor washes, and mojo bags. If you grow or gather herbs, this book will teach you exactly how to use them.

# 50 black and white line illustrations of common magical herbs and roots of North America.

# 6 handy charts in which dozens of conditions -- such as love-drawing or protection -- are listed and the herbs for each condition are given in alphabetical order. This saves time when looking for ways to use herbs that are available -- and you can use these charts to find substitutions, if necessary.

# Cross-referencing: Every herb is accompanied by at least one spell. End-of-entry cross-references make it easy to find other spells in which the herb is used -- no flipping back to an index: Cross-references are right in the entry itself.

# Bibliography: Authentic recipes are drawn from first-hand experience and 100 years of solid folkloric research.

Now, as i mentioned in another thread, where forlks inquired about why we do not carry Dirt Dauber Nests in our ionventory:

"Dirt dauber nests are not listed in our inventory because the animals use them as homes. I consider it irresponsible to make them a commercial product unless i have assurance that the nests i am selling are harvested respctfully by people well aware of the ecology of the area they are wild-crafting. So far, this has not been the case, and thus i receive and sell only a small amount of dauber nest dirt each year from people i trust. As i mentioned on the radio show, you would have to call the shop and speak to me to obtain any. ... Please, folks, remember that Lucky Mojo does not support the idea that human spiritual aims must invariably be carried forward at the expense of destroying the habitats and the lives of countless non-human species. 'God don't like it and i don't either, it's scandalous and a shame.'"
catherine yronwode

broomhilda
Re: Dirt Dauber / Mud Dauber Wasp's Nest Dirt

Unread post by broomhilda » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Thank you so much! I ordered the book this evening, and I can't wait for it to arrive.

I also want to thank you for your radio show I have learned so much in the short time I have been listening. I can't wait for the next show.
Blessings,

Broom : )

MojoMama

Growing hoodoo herbs

Unread post by MojoMama » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Hello,

I'm in Western Colorado, and I would like to grow a few hoodoo herbs in pots. What would you recommend I start with? I'm thinking about 10 different herbs to start with. Also, where should I go to get them?

Thanks!

snake

Re: Growing hoodoo herbs

Unread post by snake » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm a magical gardener in CA, and I really love growing my own magical herbs. I don't know how much advice you'll find in this forum about where to buy seeds or seedlings, but you should flip through your copy of Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic to see which plants that you know grow locally have magical properties.

MojoMama

Unread post by MojoMama » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks, Snake... thing is, I'm a "transplant" myself from the South. Things I used to be able to go out into the woods and gather (poke berries, maypops, and the like) aren't out here. However, I find desert sage a plenty, and on occasions, white sage. Sometimes, I find lavendar as well, but other than that, I'm not sure what plants are around here. I was thinking about growing in pots to start with, so they can be brought inside when needed.

fleegle

Unread post by fleegle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:48 am

Does anyone know where to get the seed to grow the plant high John the. Conquerer root comes from? I asked this in another post and it was deleted for being unrelated. I hope it fits in this one. I've looked everywhere and emailed the site customer service, but so far nada.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:50 am

If you get Miss Cat's book Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic, it lists the Latin botanical names of all the conjure herbs, which will be very helpful when starting a garden.

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:28 am

Hi fleegle,

although I am still waiting for Miss Cat's book (which as Devi Spring suggested is probably your best source of information) I did do a bit of rooting ( :roll: pardon the pun!) around on the internet and found a couple of tidbits which might answer your question:

on Wikipedia there is an extensive article on John the Conqueror which not only covers the herb/root but also the legend, related herbs such as low John and chewing John and offers a multitude of blues lyrics related to the subject. Surprise surprise! (NOT!) the main reference for the information in question is Miss Cat's book :D

If it's ur first attempt at gardening: I suggest starting small (3 herbs x 3 plants / herb) out of which you keep the strongest ones and nurture them throughout growth with your intentions. Perennials are also a smart start since they generally (although not always) require less ''pampering'' than annuals.

Hope it helps!
Road-Opening, Healing & Herbalism

[Ophelia]

Unread post by [Ophelia] » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question (feel free to tell me off! :-) ) but... How would I go about drying herbs in the miserable English climate? Many thanks.
Thank you Isis for your constant guidance and sage advice. Thank you Nancy for being my guardian angel.

MojoMama

Unread post by MojoMama » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Ophelia,

The English climate is not that unlike the climate in the American South, which is also very damp and humid. If you use gas or wood heat in the Winter, herbs can be hung over the register to dry. I have heard in the case of flowering herbs such as lavendar, it is best to place a brown paper sack over them to catch the flowers as they fall off. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:21 am

Hi Ophelia,

I agree with MojoMama's suggestions: particularly given that if there's any way to avoid the last resorts (mechanical means) I'm about to suggest - do it! If however you've tried everything and your herbs are still collecting mildew and rot rather than fine smells, there are two last ditch solutions:

1 - herbs can be dried using a food dehydrator. Given the means is a little impersonal to my taste, perhaps an experienced rootworker would be able to suggest the most appropriate way to ''personalize'' the method

2 - only in case of direst need: an oven at very low heat or a microwave ( :oops: I'm embarassed to even be mentioning a microwave...) can be used. this method can scorch or burn your herbs however. furthermore, just like cooking destroys some of the essential nutrients in the food we eat - it will do the same to the herbs.

Good Luck! Please do share the results of your drying efforts

Turnsteel

Unread post by Turnsteel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:07 am

aura wrote:Hi Ophelia,

1 - herbs can be dried using a food dehydrator. Given the means is a little impersonal to my taste, perhaps an experienced rootworker would be able to suggest the most appropriate way to ''personalize'' the method

A food dehydrator is a fine method, and how LuckyMojo drys a lot of their herbs if I recall correctly. I'm not at all sure what you mean by "personalize"...

aura wrote:2 - only in case of direst need: an oven at very low heat

There is no reason this method should be saved for "direst need". I will say however that a lot of the time the pilot light on a gas oven is enough to dry many herbs so I suggest only using that unless you are sure that your oven can hold a steady and very low heat.

aura wrote: or a microwave ( :oops: I'm embarrassed to even be mentioning a microwave...) can be used

Don't be embarrassed, its a great method when you need a small amount of herbs dried immediately, tho it can be tricky to get it right and not cook them.

You seem to have the idea that drying herbs in any but the most old ways is somehow wrong, and that just ain't so. Hope this helps :D

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 am

In addition to the issue of cooking rather than dehydrating the herbs, drying herbs in a microwave is ridiculously energy-wasteful and should never be considered a reasonable solution.

I strongly and adamantly DIS-agree with turnsteel that when you reject a microwave for herb dehydration, "You" [in his words] "seem to have the idea that drying herbs in any but the most old ways is somehow wrong."

This is NOT about "the old ways" versus "the new ways." It is about efficiency versus inefficiency and about good results versus poor results.

No, to me you seem to be saying -- and i am affirming, with 50 years of experience growing and drying herbs, first with my mother and then as an adult, both on a small-scale and a production basis -- that dehydration of herbs by microwave is generally a bad idea because the results are inferior and the waste of energy is unconscionable.

And what is so "new" about microwaves, anyway? The first commercial microwave ovens were produced in 1947, and by 1975 microwave sales exceeded conventional oven sales. Yet despite their popularity for cooking moist foods, microwaves have never been used for home or commercial herb dehydration for the simple reason that microwaving of herbs is both an INFERIOR METHOD and a STUPIDLY COSTLY way to dry them.

Yes, microwave herb dehydration can be done in an emergency -- and i myself have used it thus -- but you need to hit the herbs repeatedly with 15 second bursts, and move and turn them in between each burst, and even then, if they are moist-type herbs, you will be very hard-pressed not to cook them and thus to ruin them.

If microwave ovens were so dang good as herb dryers, don't you think that after 60-some years on the market they would have become really popular for drying herbs? Well, they have NOT become popular for drying herbs, and now you know why.

Dry your herbs with solar power, or through use of excess cooking heat by hanging them in trays about your kitchen stove, or with excess room-heater heat, or in a production-level food dehydrator with a fan in back.

i don't understand what Aura means by stating, "perhaps an experienced rootworker would be able to suggest the most appropriate way to ''personalize' the method" of using a food dehydrator. Aura, a food dehydrator is a very efficient tool. Why would i need to "personalize" my method of using it? My relationship is with the HERBS, not with some mass-produced stainless steel drying machine with a fan in the back.

(For the record, i also don't "personalize" my method of using my stainless steel mixing bowls, my cobalt blue bottles, my flint glass bottles, my brass scales, my aluminum feed scoops, my Tyler standard sieves, my white plastic five-gallon buckets, my shovels, my rakes, my Felco clippers, my Wiss scissors, or my recycled paper brown towels. I just use them the same way any gardener, herbalist, or pharmacist would -- carefully, with respect, and in a manner intended to extend their years of usefulness,)

This topic thread started out with inquiries from Lucky Mojo's herbally wise gardening customers about which plants we would purchase if folks grew them, but it turned into a discussion of how to locate other suppliers, and now it is about how to flat-out avoid buying herbs from us! I have had to delete repeated off-links to other suppliers and to correct inaccurate information. The discussion is no longer serving my customers, nor is it serving me as an herb grower, herb purchaser, and co-proprietor of the shop that runs this forum. I am locking it now.
catherine yronwode

coyalxauhqui

Turtle Shell?

Unread post by coyalxauhqui » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi all -

I was wondering: do pieces of turtle shell have any place in hoodoo? I've never seen them mentioned, but at the same time, I don't see why they wouldn't have a purpose! I have a red-eared slider turtle and she regularly sheds scutes (aka a whole "tile" layer of her shell comes off in one piece - it's pretty cool!) and if they're gonna be useful, I want to collect them.

Thanks!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Turtle Shell?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Live river turtles -- cooters -- are employed in hoodoo spells. I have never heard of anyone using turtle shells, however.

Read about how live turtles p;ay a part in conjure in my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic."

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

MojoMama

Uses for Jerusalem root?

Unread post by MojoMama » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:07 pm

I was just given a 1 lb bag of what I am told is Jerusalem root. Does anyone know about this or its possible uses in hoodoo? With a name like Jerusalem root, there's gotta be some use for it, lol. I looked in Ms. Cat's green book, but couldnt find it.

Thanks!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Uses for Jerusalem root?

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:46 pm

To my knowledge Lucky Mojo doesn't carry Jerusalem root. It is a violation of forum rules to promote products not related to Lucky Mojo. As you know, this forum is an extension of the Lucky Mojo Curio Company and is not an appropriate venue for the advertising of other companies, web sites, businesses or services.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

MojoMama

Unread post by MojoMama » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:53 pm

I wasn't advertizing or promoting anyone else's site. A friend at work gave me some, and I'm just asking what to do with it; what it could be used for. I'm not trying to mess with anyone's business, not step on any toes. I've got some on hand, and it's gotta be useful for something. She got it through an organic food co-op (one of those you get a box of various stuff a month) and doesn't have a use for it. The way I was raised, if Spirit gives you something, it's for a reason, and I'm trying to suss out what that reason is.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Jerusalem Root, also called Jerusalem Artichoke and Sun 'Choke is an edible root from a member of the Sunflower family, and not related to Artichokes, despite the name. It is just a food, not considered magical. It is considered especially good food for diabetics, as it is low in carbohydrates and sugars. I used to grow it when i lived in Missouri -- it's okay with butter on it -- not like a potato, not like an artichoke, not like a parnsip or a turnip -- just its own very simple root-tasting root.

I am glad you consulted my book -- but it wasn't there because it's not considered a magical substance.

Folks unfamiliar with the "green book" mentioned above and who have questions about "the use of this or that botanical, mineral, or zoological item in hoodoo" -- one good way to learn more is to consult my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic." It probably doesn't list everything -- but there are 500 items listed, many more than we sell in the shop. For a one-time investment of $14.95, that book will supply you with a LOT of information, as others here will testify.

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

MojoMama

Unread post by MojoMama » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Thank you, Miss Cat. Does the Jerusalem root typically have that many nobby bits on the side (I'm assuming sprouts?) Because what I have doesn't. The coworker that gave them to me first thought they were ginger, but then saw a cooking thing on Jerusalem root and thought that's what they were (the co-op was kind enough not to label it, lol). I haven't cut into one yet to see. It's been years since I've used ginger root, and that was just to make homemade ginger ale.

Miss Ida Lundin

Unread post by Miss Ida Lundin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:57 am

Sounds like ginger. You could tell by the scent if you cut into one.

2jazzy

Orange Root vs orange flower

Unread post by 2jazzy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:55 am

If the Orange flower you need is not readily available is it ok to use a orange root from the orange tree?

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: Orange Root vs orange flower

Unread post by Miss Bri » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:04 am

HI Jazzy,
I would say no and here is why. Orange flowers are used in love, attraction, and marriage work. Why? Because they have a long history of being incorporated into festivals and rites celebrating love, marriage, and fertility. Oranges have also been associated with the Sun thus symbolizing all of the positive energy of that star. But the flower is the specific part of the plant that is used in the above types of work (and I am assuming you are working on a ritual along those lines) so the root would not be a suitable substitute. A different flower, herb, or root that has similar associations would be a better choice.
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

2jazzy

Re: Orange Root vs orange flower

Unread post by 2jazzy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks so much. I appreciate that very much

mysticguy

How To Use Gunpowder Concerning Spells?

Unread post by mysticguy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 am

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard someone one mentioned that gunpowder helps add a bang or some extra power to speed things up in spells. I know its have to be handled with care.

I was wondering if it's possible to use gun powder for spells like money, love, reconciliation, domination, breakup, road opening and jinx removing?

Can a pinch of gunpowder be added in oils, jars, incenses or vigil glass candles?

Can someone explain what gunpowder is used for?

What should gun powder should be kept in and stored in?

How gunpowder is best used?

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: How To Use Gunpowder Concerning Spells?

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Gun Powder can be used in spells that involves volatile effects like breakup work. Therefore, I wouldn't use it in any of the spells except for jinxing. cat explains it further here...http://www.luckymojo.com/saltpeter.html

Turnsteel

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:43 pm

mysticguy wrote:Can a pinch of gunpowder be added in oils, jars, incenses or vigil glass candles?

Oils,yes, jar spells, sure, Incense or candles? Heck no! Its gunpowder! Do not put it into candle spells or incense

mysticguy wrote:I was wondering if it's possible to use gun powder for spells like money, love, reconciliation, domination, breakup, road opening and jinx removing?

I've seen it used in money spells, break up spells, some cleansing spells and lots of road opening work, but I personally cannot recall a love spell or domination spell using it.

mysticguy wrote:Can someone explain what gunpowder is used for?

It brings power and speed to spells as I said, think about it, its an explosive, it's not hard to figure out what kind of energy it brings to a spell. Now this does not mean that you should add gunpowder to every job you do. Their are plenty of cases where it should be avoided, blessings and gentle work for example. Really I suggest that people who are starting out leave it alone.

mysticguy wrote:What should gun powder should be kept in and stored in?

The container that you buy it in. As a side line, I strongly council against making your own gunpowder. It's very dangerous to make if you do not know what you are doing, it's more likely to blow up in your face if you make it yourself.

jwmcclin wrote:Gun Powder can be used in spells that involves volatile effects like breakup work. Therefore, I wouldn't use it in any of the spells except for jinxing.

I must respectfully disagree jwmcclin. I was taught, and have had great success, to use Gun Powder in many kinds of work besides a jinx. It can bring a lot of speed and power to a spell. I personally use it fairly often for heavy duty Road Opening work, and Money Drawing work.

mysticguy

Unread post by mysticguy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Thank you for your replies. Reason why I asked someone posted on here they put a pinch in a candle awhile back.

Is it possible to pot a pinch of gunpowder in like road opener, fast luck or uncrossing oils and anoint your hands and dress a vigil candle with?

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Remember the purpose of Gunpowder...adding heat to it (picture that) read the link above cat gives ideas or substitutions if you are wanting to use it in Road opening, Fast Luck type work...

lajolli79

Unread post by lajolli79 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:29 am

This is a great post thank you for sharing all this information.

Jane2011

Asiatic Lily plant - Spiritual Connection

Unread post by Jane2011 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi, Can someone help with this query? Last year May, my Partner bought me a Asiatic Lily plant, which grew and blossomed into beautiful flowers. My relationship with my partner ended quite abrubtly in July and at the same time I noticed the plant he had given me was slowly dying. I then put the plant outside on my balcony and last week I was surprised to see that the plant had come back to life and is growing quite rapidly...and, my Ex-partner seem to be wanting to get closer in our frindship again. Is there a spiritual connection with the plant and our relationship? Many Thanks

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Asiatic Lily plant - Spiritual Connection

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:10 pm

There may be a connection, but don't read too much into it -- Many species of lily plants go dormant every year, and to an inexperienced gardener it may look like they are dying. If watered, they come back next year, and every year for many years.
catherine yronwode

Jane2011

Re: Asiatic Lily plant - Spiritual Connection

Unread post by Jane2011 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi Catherineyronwode. I see. I had not realise that this particular plant dies and grow back every year. Many thanks for the info. Peace, Love and Light.

Jane2011

Pendulum use with plant

Unread post by Jane2011 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:00 am

Hello

Last year after the break up of my relationship with my partner, I had lit a candle with a written parchment paper underneath with both our names on and a petition. After the candle burnt out it also burnt the parchment paper so I buried the parchment paper in a money plant that I had previously planted myself. Since then my money plant has been growing beautifully.

Of late, I have been asking the money plant questions regarding my relationship with my Ex-partnter using a pendulum. So far it has been giving me positive answers.

Is it okay to use the pendulum with my money plant? Also, I have noticed that my Ex-partner is getting a bit more closer to me in our friendship.

Peace, Love and Light

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Working with Living Plants: Questions and Answers

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:17 am

Jane, working with living plants -- that is, casting spells by means of plants that are still alive or using them as a form of communication with others -- is quite common in hoodoo. Some species are more often used this way than others. For more details, see my book, "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic."
catherine yronwode

Jane2011

Re: Working with Living Plants: Questions and Answers

Unread post by Jane2011 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Many Thanks Catherine.

rs2010

Is the Mockingbird related to Hoodoo?

Unread post by rs2010 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:24 pm

I was curious if anyone knew or could maybe tell me if Mockingbirds were related to Hoodoo?
I had a few I saw come into my sight and stay there as it was waiting on me to acknowledge it then flew off.
I have been working with money drawing products and I was curious if it might be a good sign.
Since I know sometimes other birds may not be good signs. I was curious is all.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Is the Mockingbird related to Hoodoo?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue May 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Mockingbirds are indeed mentioned in conjure tricks. They represent speech, for obvious reasons.
catherine yronwode

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Is the Mockingbird related to Hoodoo?

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue May 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Read Harry M. Hyatt's page (found here) http://www.luckymojo.com/hyattinformants.html, you will find discussion and spells that include the mockingbird.

Crankyfish
Use for aquariums in spells?

Unread post by Crankyfish » Wed May 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi all I'm a newb to hoodoo,I love this forum and website though! I can't wait for my first orders :)

Is there a creative way to utilize contained moving water for magical workings? I have some new filters and fishless tanks that I'd like to put to good use. From my understanding, you usually use moving water to flush away a factor in your workings. Perhaps contained water would be good in a 'change this negative to a positive' or visa versa, annointing the tank with oil and herbs in the filter, then burning the filter cartridge after 7 days or what have you.

Looking forward to your ideas!
CF
Thank you St Expedite ! :)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Use for aquariums in spells?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed May 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Your question comes under the heading i call, "Is there a use for X in hoodoo?" and, generally, the answer would appear to be no. Folks want to know if there is a use for this that or the other because they like the things or have the things around.

But let's look at what hoodoo is -- and is not.

It is not a set of building blocks. It is a living family-based and community based tradition.

You cannot say, "Hey, guys, how about if we add aquariums to hoodoo, okay?" and get folks to agree, because, frankly, aquariums are not a long-held part and portion of the culture in which hoodoo is based or the natural world which informs all of folk magic.

Moving water spells are derived from the nature of moving water. People long ago learned the power inherent in tagging one's spell along to a natural force. Trying to invert that idea and place a lot of magical power on the act of changing a filter in an aquarium sounds silly to me. I mean, sure, if aquariums are really dear to you and you know them inside and out, perhaps you could use the power of changing filters to change a situation... but at that level of metaphor, i think you would be more or less making a stretch into something unique, not community-based, not family-based, not culturally embedded.

Perhaps you are working from the standpoint of chaos magick, the old mix-and-match let's-make-a-spell thing. You know -- "Hey, there's an old World War Two bomber in a park in my town, can i use it in magic?" or "I have a set of Mary Engelbreit tea pots on a shelf -- can i use them in magic!" Chaos magick is okay in is own right, but it ain't conjure.
catherine yronwode

Crankyfish
Re: Use for aquariums in spells?

Unread post by Crankyfish » Thu May 26, 2011 6:32 am

Ahhh that makes sense Catherine...Thank you for clarifying. ;) I won't be mixing them with any hoodoo at all, I want what I do
to stay true to the source for max potency.
Thank you St Expedite ! :)

gremlin

Living Plant Spell for control of an enviroment

Unread post by gremlin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 pm

I was sifting through my conjure notes I had taken down whilst learning from my mentor. I came across this little number, as I recall I conveyed an interest toward environmental manipulation while learning that’s how I received this one.

I have to apologize as the wording may be a bit off but the paper I had this written on was accidently left in a box outside during a storm. Some of this is direct quotation while other parts I wrote from memory. But either way this should be a interesting piece of info for you all!! :)

Beforehand take a piece of string (the size depends on the plant you will be working with) dip it with controlling oil as you close your eyes and say inwardly:

By the powers vested in me and the forces that are without, I ask this string to be the spiritual link from my world to yours. Amen.

Cut the string exactly in half. Store one end in a dark area away from all other energy sources (light, heat, ect) or other hoodoo items as well.

Keep the other end with you.

At dusk go to the establishment you wish to be under your influence. Find the nearest seed producing vegetation by the building or establishment.Extract a few of the seeds (the more seeds the better as you know not all seeds will germinate). Dig the plant up gently as not to disturb the roots too much very LIGHTLY dust the hole with controlling powder and pulverized tobacco. Place a White candle into the hole (making sure it stands upright) light this and say outwardly:

As nature is connected by time and space. My mind, heart and soul are one with them. May the string tie this plant (as you tie the half of string around the plant) to its offspring, by doing so may it in turn tie the existence of __(such and such establishment)___ to it existence as well. Extinguish the flame and collect the candle. Replace the plant but keep the original dirt that was removed. Use new dirt to fill in the hole. The ritual is finalized as you leave tossing some of the remnants of the tobacco and powder mix over your head into the air (this part is important as the dust goes into the air and not the ground).

Return to your home or wherever you plan on planting the seeds. At dawn plant the seeds using the dirt from the original parent plant mixed with a very small amount of tobacco and controlling powder. Light the same candle used before and say outwardly: The seeds of connection have been planted, grow well and grow steady and as you grow may your connection to your parent grow as well.

Extinguish the candle.

When the first sprout is seen it is taken careful note of as that’s the one that will be used in the final spell.

When it’s matured the other half of the string is tied around it as you say: I now bind the power of the soil you grow in to the power of the soil that you were created from. The plant now acts as a spiritual link to the establishment from which you took it from. Whatever is done to the plant in ritual will convey over to the place which you took it from on a more ambiguous but much larger scale.

If I recall correctly this was used as a way to either bless or curse a specific area of land to bring about or attract very very bad happenings or very very good ones depending on the rituals used incorporating it. Also I did not write it down but I remember my teacher telling me this becomes much much stronger when you place a small representation of the establishment around the plant.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: establishment/enviroment control

Unread post by Miss Bri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:21 am

This is nice--it strikes me as a blend of old fashioned Hoodoo with some new age aspects thrown in (the use of the word "energy" and some of the more formal ritual language).
Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Donnalee

Re: establishment/enviroment control

Unread post by Donnalee » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Dear Gremlin, This is a very spiritual connection to generational Magic. I love it. I will use this. Thank you for sharing.Blessings always
donnalee

keysha
Devils Claw uses in Hoodoo Rootwork

Unread post by keysha » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:16 am

I saw an interesting herb/plant Devils Claw and one named Devils Club. Has anyone used Devils claw in rootwork? If so, how is it used?

dorothybaez

Shrimp

Unread post by dorothybaez » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:01 pm

I have searched the site as well as the net, and have found nothing on the use of shrimp in rootwork. I've been told that they can be used for dark work, but the person who told me this didn't know anything more. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks!

TresIsIs

How do I use a Dirt Dauber's Nest I just acquired?

Unread post by TresIsIs » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:13 pm

I want to know how to use dirt dauber's nest in conjure work. I had the pleasure of someone finding and retrieving a dirt dauber's nest for me just recently.
What are the different types of work it is used for: Love, Better Business, Money drawing or Protection.

Thanks for guidance in advance.

TresIsIs

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: How do I use a Dirt Dauber's Nest I just acquired?

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:42 pm

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Shrimp

Unread post by Devi Spring » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 pm

I know of the uses of crawfish mud in making doll babies, and using crab shells in reversal work - but I have not personally heard of work with shrimp. Perhaps someone else can speak to this?

dorothybaez

Unread post by dorothybaez » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm

I hope someone who knows will answer! It's making me crazy not to know!

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:35 pm

This is a Lucky Mojo forum,not a general hoodoo forum. We are happy to help you with what is sold by Lucky Mojo. We cannot help with matters outside the purposes of this forum.

There are a few uses for Shrimp, but I haven't seen it as commonplace in hoodoo.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR

Lori

Cicadas

Unread post by Lori » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:23 am

Hi all! Can anyone tell me about Cicadas in hoodoo. The few things I've found (but not really for Hoodoo) talk about metamorphisis. Being reborn. If that is the case - that would make me happy, but I would like to hear from you guys as to their meanings and uses. Thanks for your help.
Blessings

aura
Forum Moderator
Re: Cicadas

Unread post by aura » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi Lori,

I'm definitely not a reference when it comes to Hoodoo History, but in the reading I have done, I haven't seen any mention of Cicadas specifically. Anywhere. I have seen them, as you mentionned, used for their transformative energy (particularly the periodical cicada with quite the fascinating life cycle).

In hoodoo, bugs that are used in different contexts include:

ants
termites
spiders
dirt daubers
crabs (shell)
scorpions
snakes (sheds)
wasps
bees

( any that shouldn't be in that list or that have been forgotten - please feel free 2 correct me )

I'd encourage you to search those in the forum search box on the upper right hand corner for various references.

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork”