Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Herbs and Roots LMCCo Doesn't Carry: Questions and Answers

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.
catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: No squill root??

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Squiill Root is "a dangerous irritant poison, producing inflammation of the alimentary canal, and urinary organs, and proving fatal in the dose of only 24 grains of the powder." It suppresses coughs when mixed with serious opioids such as heroin, morphine, and opium. You can no longer even buy Indonesian-made African Sea Coconut Cough Syrup from us because it has Squill Root in it and the FDA has banned its import. Sorry, folks.
catherine yronwode

Papalegba

Non-traditional plants, roots, and herbs

Unread post by Papalegba » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:30 am

Hello everyone!:)

I've recently been thinking a lot on the uses of non-traditional plants and herbs in hoodoo practice. I've been thinking about how everything has spirit- energy in it. You see I live in a suburb of Atlanta, and I'm seventeen; so High John, Chamomile, Five-finger grass, and Damiana like herbs are extremely hard to get. Plus, I don't have money presently to buy them online.

The result is me having to study extensively what these herbs may look like to be able to identify them, which is impractical in terms of actually "doing' conjure work. Though studying is good- you gotta actually do what you study!

So my question is this- how can one figure out the uses of non- traditional plants and herbs, from let's say China, or Brazil. We have alot of monkey grass, English ivy and kudzu around here. And a whole' lotta other stuff! I'm itching to know the energy paths of these so I can use them in love, money, blessing, or other works. I'd appreciate everyone's input on what they think, and their experience and advice on the matter. If I could, personally, get hold of the powers of these different varieties- my work would be even more satisfying and empowering!

P.S.- I'm not trying to avoid the common plants and herbs. I just don't have them!:)

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Non-traditional plants, roots, and herbs

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:19 am

Referring to your introduction response by Mister Hob. "This is a site about traditional American hoodoo, and the information and advice you receive here will be in regards to that tradition." Even as you may do a Google search and receive 100's of 1000's information on any subject, if you want the true reliable information, you will get it here. If you need herbs, you do not have in your city, state, etc. you better believe that Lucky Mojo has them...oftentimes readily available. On average herbs cost between $3.00-$4.00 according to what you order.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Non-traditional plants, roots, and herbs

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 am

Papalegba,

You are seventeen, you say, but you are not the first man who has walked the earth. Always ask the elders, shamans, witches, and medicine people who live where plants grow exactly what they are used for and how they are deployed. Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

As for expense, you should purchase a copy of "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" for $14.95 and a used field guide to the plants of Georgia at any used book store for about $5.00 - $10.00. Then follow this three-step system:

1) Since hoodoo originated in Georgia and the South, all you will have to do is go to a local state or regional park and start observing what grows there in nature. Once you have learned to identify the plants around you, you will be well on your way to learning how to use them.

BOO-GRI-HHSC
Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Paperback by cat yronwode
$14.95

2) Next, go to a plant nursery and get some herbs to grow. If you live in an apartment, buy some containers for them; otherwise, grow them in the ground. Before you purchase them, ask the sales people at the nursery which are the easiest to grow. Start with three easy ones. You will now have a good supply of those herbs for your work.

3) Purchasing herbs online from the Lucky Mojo Curio Co. is cheap and easy. Packets are $3.00 each, except for some of the whole roots. Here are three that you might wish to start with:

BOT-JOH-WRSM
John the Conqueror Root, Small
$5.00

HER-SOU-ROOT
Southern Dixie John Root, Whole
$3.00

HER-LJC-ROOT
Little John to Chew Root, Whole
$3.00

With these three "John Roots" you will have the basis for one of the most traditional mojo hands made, the Three Johns Root Bag.
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
Re: Herbs and Roots LMCCo Doesn't Carry: Questions and Answers

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 am

Gathering information can be fun! I love doing it.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Jenska
Pair of Adam and Eve roots / mated pair of blood root chips

Unread post by Jenska » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:14 am

Hi,

Reading Cat's Herb and Root book - a wealth knowledge, thank you Cat for sharing your knowledge. It's a must have staple that I'm enjoying.

Question: interested in getting a pair of Adam and Eve roots and matched pair of blood root chips stated in her book. I can't seem to find either on the herb section to purchase. Any direction to these roots/chips would be appreciated?

Loves-n-hugs!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Pair of Adam and Eve roots / mated pair of blood root chips

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Adam and Eve Roots are a federally (and internationally) protected endangered species. We do not traffic in endangered species.

We do sell blood roots in pieces; you can make your own pairs.
catherine yronwode

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Satpeter

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Salt peter is an ingredient in gunpowder. If you cannot find gunpowder, saltpeter can sometimes be used as a substitute. Check with your rootworker to see if this is the case in this case.

Gunpowder is used to make fireworks and ammunition, so if you have either of those lying around you can "harvest" some from there.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.

stillsosola

are herbs for hoodoo set in stone or can you mix things up?

Unread post by stillsosola » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Must i use obscure herbs for domination or may i use cumin seeds and rosemary and other common herbs? Is it imparative to purchase the exact herbs?

Like for a nation sack could I substitute an adam and eve root for the more expensive John the conquerer or Orris root?

aura
Forum Moderator
Re: are herbs for hoodoo set in stone or can you mix things up?

Unread post by aura » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:45 am

Hi stillsosola,

The best investment that you can make is Miss Cat's Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic. It delves in depth into each root and herb and tells you how each can be used and then some. That way you can substitute as you see fit. That said, you can't bend the rules until you've learnt them and know them so well that you are perfectly aware of what your swaps will do to a given formula - yet another reason the book will be your ''less for more'' choice with regards to Conjure Shopping: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html

Adam and eve root aren't sold anymore out of respect for the endangered status of the plants, so don't even consider purchasing it (chances are you'd be getting a dud anyhow).

Finally, please do keep in mind that this is a forum for Lucky Mojo Spiritual Products and thus it is somewhat insulting to refer to the web-hosters of your own questions as ''grossly over-priced''.

Blessings and Success in your work.
Road-Opening, Healing & Herbalism

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:44 am

You can always stick to Lucky Mojo oils, powders, and bath crystals, and can be assured that the proper herbs are added to the products.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:00 pm

stillsosola --

Adam and eve roots are protected under federal and international ENDANGERED SPECIES laws and anyone pretending to sell these roots to you to you is selling you FALSE GOODS -- usually Landscaper's Fir Tree Bark chips -- not a root of any kind, just bark mulch from a plant nursery that they purchase by the 50 lb. bag and resell with a fake name.
catherine yronwode

stillsosola

Unread post by stillsosola » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:57 pm

I haven't really tried ordering from Lucky Mojo yet. I was raised in a more hispanic/mediterranean tradition in which culinary herbs are more often used, but I am very interested in african root work. is miss cat's book for sale on site? I can't find it on amazon.

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:37 am

Hi stillsosola,

you'll find that African American Rootwork also uses many house-hold herbs and minerals :)

Miss Cat's book is available for sale via Lucky Mojo and Amazon, as well as other distrobutors; here is the info page on it at the bottom of which there's a link to purchase - it's still a favourite reference and re-read for me: you'll find it quite invaluable: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html

Blessings.

Countrybumpkin

WHERE CAN I FIND TAR WATER TO PURCHASE?....

Unread post by Countrybumpkin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 am

Having just watched a Dead Files series program, Amy Allan mentioned a product called Tar Water, which she said comes from New Orleans. One drop of this in each room and you will never have any spirits in your home again, good or bad. Does anyone know where this product can be purchased?

Thank you for your help or advice.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: WHERE CAN I FIND TAR WATER TO PURCHASE?....

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:22 am

This is a forum to assist the customers of Lucky Mojo Curio Company. I don't believe that Lucky Mojo sells tar water.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

Countrybumpkin

Unread post by Countrybumpkin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks for the help! :roll:

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:56 pm

We don't sell tar water because it is carcinogenic and althoough you may get by with one bottle now and then, i do not want to be filling hundreds of bottles and ruining my health.
catherine yronwode

Brother Elijah Mose

Unread post by Brother Elijah Mose » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 pm

I've stumbled upon a huge collection of perfectly spherical, sandstone rocks. Some are pretty large (golfball size) and some are tiny as marbles. Apparently they're some kind of sandstone concretions, and they are sold under names such as called Shaman Stones, Thunderballs, and Moqui Marbles.

They're significant in some sort of Native American practice, but I can't seem to dig much deeper than lots of new-agey information. They radiate this amazing spiritual energy and I've never seen them anywhere before.

Do these have any use in hoodoo? I'm thinking about including small ones in mojos.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Obskultus,

Moqui balls are hematite enriched Navajo sandstone concretions found in south-central and southeastern Utah around Zion National Park, Arches National Park, Canyonland National Park, and the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Because they contain hematite (iron ore) they may be weakly magnetic, which accounts for the strange sensations one can feel when two of them are brought into close proximity. They are nowhere near as magnetic as lodestones, but a sensitive person will definitely feel "something" in them.

Due to their location of origin, far from the American South, where African American hoodoo folk magic was developed, and the lack of interest in entering them into commerce until recently, when they have received a large commercial push among New Agers and rock shop owners, they -- like other interesting rock formations, such as barite roses -- were never a part of traditional conjure. However, there is nothing to stop you from adding one or two to a mojo hand as a personally meaningful power object. They very cool indeed. I have my own favourite pair myself, in my "oddities" collection -- but then, i am an old-time rock hound.
catherine yronwode

Brother Elijah Mose

Unread post by Brother Elijah Mose » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Hmm. Maybe these just look A LOT like them; because they're all over my rocky dirt rd in rural, NC. It's a mystery, but they're definitely neat!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Ah, well there are various types of sandstone concretions all over the world, but Moqui marbles are from one specific area, as far as i know.

There is a similar, but less "active" sandstone concretion from the Great Plains known as Kansas Pop Rocks, in which the outer layer is pyrite instead of hematite. They are found in other Midwestern states besides Kansas; but that is their common name. A more recent name for them is Boji Stones -- same thing.

I have also seen concretions called Schoharie Button Rocks County, from Schoharie, New York.

Concretions are lots of fun! There are many, many types!
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Outer layer of Pyrite instead of Hematite!? Wow, sign me up for both! This is a stone I have seen and knew about previously, but have yet to purchase., This thread gave me pause to perhaps find one I'd like to get!
Joseph Magnuson

pinemarten

Unread post by pinemarten » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Is anyone here familiar with "Mexican Scratch Grass"? What the other common/scientific names might be?

I was doing an inspection on a house today, and when we went inside, the tenant had two altars set up. Each had a Sacred Heart of Jesus candle burning, and a basket of oranges and chicken eggs.

When we went in the kitchen, there were big cooking pots left there, the kind you would use to heat bathwater, with a layer of herbs on the bottom, and dozens of little packets of those same dried herbs sitting on the counter. The packets all had "Mexican Scratch Grass" printed on them in in English. It wasn't any culinary herb I could identify easily by sight and scent. The herb was pale green, and looked almost like straws of hay or young bamboo.

So now curiosity has got the better of me. I'm an avid gardener, and 'be grown and collected hundred of herbs...but this isn't one I'm familiar with.
Thank you Saint Jude, Saint Expedite, and Our Lady of Loreto for your loving help and guidance!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:06 am

I have seen packets of whole Lemongrass that looked as you described, but I figure this would be fairly discernible by the smell if that were the case. Interesting. Thanks for sharing your observations on that and hopefully someone will chime in with some answers.
Joseph Magnuson

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:55 am

We sell long-cut lemongrass, but "Scratch Grass" is not Lemongrass. That American common name refers to Muhlenbergia asperifolia.

This map shows the range and distribution of Scratch Grass in the USA:

Note that Scratch Grass is absent from the epicenter of hoodoo and rootwork development, namely the South-Eastern United States. Remember that hoodoo is the magical culture of African Americans living in Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana, Florida, and so forth -- all states where Scratch Grass does not occur. Also note that Scratch Grass has no known medical properties or culinary usages, so it would not have been commerically distributed into those states by pharmacies or grocery stores in the past -- or at the present time. That's why Scratch Grass does not appear as an ingredient in home medical remedies or in lists of spells developed within the African Ame4rican hoodoo community during the past 200 years.
catherine yronwode

Tristan

Unread post by Tristan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

I knew that Lucky Mojo has a Niño Fidencio line of products, but only just saw the Niño Fidencio entry on the Lucky W Amulet Archive. On that page, a seven-day bath product is described. Here are the other herbs used in the baths which aren’t identified on the page, for anyone interested.

(2) El baño de *hojase (the bath of Tarbush, Floursenia cernua; also spelled hojasé and ojase.)
*Not to be confused with the similar sounding hojasen (Senna spp.)

(3) El baño de cenizo (the bath of Texas Sage, Silverleaf, Purple Sage, Leucophyllum frutescens)

(6) El baño de Visbirinda (the bath of Goatbush, Allthorn, Chaparro Amargoso, Castela texana. More commonly spelled bisbirinda.)

Some translation notes for that page:

Hinchazones does indeed mean swelling, like edema. For example: párpado hinchado meaning swollen or puffy eyelid; hinchazón de tobillos meaning swollen ankles.

The word “entuilimiento” should be entullimiento and means crippleness or paralysis. It comes from the word tullido meaning cripple. Example: un brazo tullido meaning a crippled arm.

The word atontamiento means dazed, stupor, or listlessness. It comes from the word tonto, meaning stupid, foolish, or dumb.

If you'd like to work with this extremely popular Mexican folk healer and saint, check out the product line!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Wow, Tristan -- that is so nice of you to share! Thank you! When i have time, i will add this information to the page and credit you (too busy right now, but i will not forget!).
catherine yronwode

Tristan

Unread post by Tristan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:36 am

You're welcome cat! Thank you for making all this invaluable information available to the public!

TheBeard

Red fox skull?

Unread post by TheBeard » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:35 am

Some time ago I harvested a red fox that was killing my chickens. I cleaned and whitened his skull and glued his teeth back in thinking that I would eventually make a european skull mount out of him but never did.

I have been looking around for a way to use this skull in hoodoo but can't seem to find anything and perhaps that is because there isn't one. I still thought I would ask here if there is perhaps a way to dress the skull with LM products such as "wisdom of solomon" maybe, playing of the concept that fox's have been considered sly or wise in folklore for such a long time?

Or perhaps there is a traditional use that is known but I haven't found it yet? I hope this question isn't offensivley foolish.

I hope to petition Mrs Cat in the near future to take her course and move beyond my current level of ignorance but I will need to wait a month or so before I can do that.

Lady Marie
Re: Red fox skull?

Unread post by Lady Marie » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:04 pm

How incredibly wonderful! For an interesting take on what one could do with fox bones think sly, trickster,clever to a fault. I think of hoodoo in terms of songs because that is my primary mode of understanding all things. There is a lovely old song about a fox named Reynardine Maybe it is just me, but this song leaves little out to my mind about how one could understand the animal. For this student the music and mythos meet and inform the work. Check out Fairport Convention-Reynardine.
Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them. Madeline L'Engle

TheBeard

Re: Red fox skull?

Unread post by TheBeard » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Thank you oldbefana, I admire your creative flare. Without the ingredient of creativity I can't imagine how any magical philosophy could have been developed.

goldentouch97

Re: How to work with Rose of Jericho

Unread post by goldentouch97 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 pm

i wanna know if rootworker in hoodoon tradition use it

MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MaryBee » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:31 pm

I received a lovely Rose of Jericho root from the last MISC workshops at Lucky Mojo in May. Susan Diamond presented a workshop on working with this great plant. I keep mine in a glass dish and feed it water, and I sprinkle the water around my conjure space for good luck.
Let the root dry out completely every week so it won't get moldy.
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

goldentouch97

Unread post by goldentouch97 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 pm

You know to get in link with the spirit of this plant ?

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:11 pm

Everyone goes about this differently, goldentouch97, and it can be very daunting to cold-teach someone this process. Speak to the spirit and start to cultivate a relationship with it.
Joseph Magnuson

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:32 am

Just to clarify -- Lucky Mojo does not carry this plant because i, the owner, am spiritually distressed when i walk by them on the shelf and they cry out for water. About 15 years ago, it got so bad that i gave them all away and swore never to keep them in the shop again. I have nothing against them -- but holding dozens of them captive while they cry and beg for water is just beyond my spiritual limits.
catherine yronwode

Glaciers

disposal of burnt red onion skins for New Years ritual

Unread post by Glaciers » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Happy New Year to all.

The great Conjure Man Ali and Dr. E did a radio show on New Year rituals which was absolutely fabulous. CM Ali talked about burning red onion skins on New Years eve to attract prosperity. What would be the proper mode of disposal for these remnants? Should they be buried in the front or the backyard?

Also Dr. E talked about lighting peaceful home vigils. I had blue 4 inch candles dressed with LM peaceful home and money house blessing oil which i lit at midnite along with dressed white tea lights. What is the proper disposal of these candles? front or back yard?

I am hoping CM Ali can reply to this post. Thank you for that wonderful show and all the rituals you share with us,I was able to do several of them including adding cinnamon and sugar to water and sprinkling it up to the front door.

Thank you in advance, and blessings to all for an amazing 2013.

Glaciers

Apollo Dark
Re: disposal of burnt red onion skins for New Years ritual

Unread post by Apollo Dark » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello Glaciers,

Dispose of remains that are to draw in the new in the Front Yard, and Dispose of things that are meant to cast away the old at the Crossroads, or under a tree in a sacred place.

This is how I do my disposals anyway.

Best of Luck to You!
AIRR Member
SID# 1583 Graduated Apprentice

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator
Re: disposal of burnt red onion skins for New Years ritual

Unread post by Papa Newt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

Apollo Dark gave you some great advice. Be sure to check out Laing Down Tricks and Disposing of Ritual Remnants in the Hoodoo Tradition to learn more.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Earthwitch

Unread post by Earthwitch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:00 am

Hello all and Happy New Year!
Although I keep getting emails saying I haven't been to forum( annoying). I am not leaving and still with you guys. Thanks to Conjure Man Ali & Miss Cat I have been employed for some time ( hope this good luck continues) . Working means more income , more income means more purchases at Lucky Mojo. Yay! I am still building my stock and want to take class. Ok on to my question. I am working on something for Valentines day. I need Adam & Eve Root. I saw the above post and saw it was illegal? Ok so what else really good can I use. I am working on an oil to make the night special ( wink , wink) I am making oil now so it will be really potent then. All advice , tips welcome. Peace & luv

Indian_conjure

Tiger Skin or Lion Skin

Unread post by Indian_conjure » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 am

Does Tiger Skin or Lion Skin have any importance in Hoodoo?

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: Tiger Skin or Lion Skin

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Not that I know of.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

KittyLove
Re: Use of snow in conjure?

Unread post by KittyLove » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 am

Cool. I thought that snow could be used as a source of live water! Glad to know this, I was actually going to ask but happy I found the answer. Which brings me to a new question. Does the snow need to be fresh as in new fallen or can you use existing snow that has been on the ground for a few days that has been undisturbed as long as it's clean?

Thank you kindly,
MissKittylovesNanny
Thank you St. Michael for keeping us safe!

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am

Spiritual baths with fresh clean snow melted are some of my favourite. It has a very calm, quieting energy excellent for Tranquility, Psychic Vision and Clarity work. As long as the snow is clean - it's perfect for use, it doesn't need to be fresh fallen. You'll also see that it takes a whole lot of snow to make enough to bathe in ;)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Just because something exists, that does not mean it "has a use in hoodoo." Also, in case you have not yet noticed, this is a product forum for spiritual supplies which we make by hand and sell. We do not make snow.

If you are interested in what sorts of natural herbs, roots, minerals, and zoological curios are used in hoodoo, i recommend my book "Hoodoo Herb aqnd Root Magic" and my correspondence course "Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course."
catherine yronwode

KittyLove

Unread post by KittyLove » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Oops. Sorry I posted in the wrong section? I thought I had posted a reply to a thread in the baths and washes section? I was wondering because I plan to use the water from melted snow to mix with LM bath crystals. I thought that I had read within either the forum or the page on using LM bath crystals that free running water, like rain water was preferred to using plain old tap water. The question had been in my mind for a few months and i came across the thread today while I was double checking myself on using the LM bath crystals. not sure when it will rain again. My apologies for not staying on topic.

Yes I do plan to take the course (I'm saving the $20's next to psalm 23) and I do possess "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic". The book is what led me to the question. :)

Thanks for your reply,
MissKittylovesNanny
Thank you St. Michael for keeping us safe!

Papa LeRoy
Snails

Unread post by Papa LeRoy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 pm

in the HHRM book to kill a women's interest in other men, is stated to boil a Snail. Does one use a live and dried snail to work this formula.And does L.M. sells them.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Snails

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:41 pm

The snail is boiled alive. We do not sell live snails.
catherine yronwode

Papa LeRoy

Unread post by Papa LeRoy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks Ms Cat

Mismaude

Mummified hand?

Unread post by Mismaude » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 pm

I have just been offered to buy a mummified human hand from my antique dealer. Needless to say, I'm am rather intrigued by the thought of buying it, but my enthusiasm is ofcourse also shadowed by some concern of the consequenses, by owning human remains. My dealer don't know much about it, other than it is victorian, most likely british but there's also a chance that it could derive from ancient egypt.

So my question is as follows, what are the potential spiritual consequenses of owning such a thing? Could I put myself at risk of being possessed or cursed? -even if I store it away from my home?
If I do decide to buy it, what precautions should and can I make?

Hope someone will be able to help :)
Thank you, Marianne.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Mummified hand?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:40 pm

This is the Lucky Mojo Forum, and we do not sell mummified hands.

My advice to you, however, is the same i give to those who seek to work with the human and animal bones that we do sell at Lucky Mojo: Consult with the spirit of the person whose hand it is.

Unless you have a spiritual, mediumistic, magical, or religious connection to the hand, it is just a novelty.

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

sandra_swaybe

Unread post by sandra_swaybe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi All,

I've recently received some resin or mineral from a friend in Jordan. I can't make out what it may be. She told me it's North African and it's resin from a tree there called Akrakoukia/Akrakokia and often referred to as the Lallibanda tree.

The resin is dark red, almost black and is shiny and almost glass-like in appearance. If anyone knows its latin name or what is called in western terms I would love to know.

Thank you :)

Brry

Using addictive herbs like opium in conjure

Unread post by Brry » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:12 am

Hi, I'm Brry for those who don't already know me, I've worked assorted magic shops and festivals for years reading cards and cast spells for my clients.

Now, here's what I've been working on. Oils are used for various properties of that plant, cinnamon to heat things up, calamus to command because it looks like it's covered in erect penises, rose for love because it looks like a blooming vagina and smells sweet, Solomon Seal roots look like they have royal seals, Mandrakes look like little people, and so on and so forth.

So here's the thing.

What about using plants with addictive qualities to make someone hooked on you?

Opium seems like it would be great for that yet I've never seen opium oil listed any where as a love oil. Only for psychic work or dreams.

How about Tobacco? Nicotine is one hard habit to break.

Coffee beans, even. That might serve the dual purpose of having them 'wake up and pay attention' while getting addicted to you. :lol: Seems like someone should try mixing plants with addictive qualities with other plants known for love, like rose, and see if that works. Sweet cherry-tobacco cigars perhaps?

I might test this out myself and get back with you guys. Dab a little vanilla, cinnamon and coffee behind your ears, walk around smelling like a Starbucks, and who doesn't love that? :lol:

AprilRaine

Re: Using addictive herbs like opium in conjure

Unread post by AprilRaine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:59 am

Opium is made from the poppy and poppy seeds are used for confusion, so the affect you get could be one you didn't anticipate. I would only worry about some kind of backfire while experimenting.... but that's just my humble point of view :-)

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am

A lot of the plant lore, in hoodoo, falls under the Doctrine of Signatures. The use of toxic plants, which is largely what you're getting into, when you discuss narcotic, or powerfully medicinal plants, didn't seem to make a strong transition from Western traditions.

To speak to your example; I suspect that poppy flowers are used for dreaming because of the vision-inducing qualities of poppy. However, in case you've never witnessed an opiate addiction, it is a dreadful thing, followed by an even more terrible withdrawl period. Please recall that poppy seeds are used to sow confusion. Calling on the qualities of opium (besides being possibly illegal to produce) could lead more to obsession than attraction. Likewise, with tobacco; I've seen a grown man sit in his living room floor, and weep, because he couldn't afford cigarettes. Dependant addictions break people.

These are powerful forces, worthy of respect.

Love is intoxicating enough. Everyone wants to be loved, everyone wants to get laid, everyone wants to be swept away. The components that inspire love, in whatever form, don't need hooks, hidden among the petals.

Coffee in love work is an interesting idea, though more for its stimulating qualities, than for its addictive ones. I've used it in school and study work, for that same reason. I'd be mindful of the smell, though. There's a balance between smelling tasty, and smelling like you just got off of work.
Two-Headed Doctor

MoonBreath

Unread post by MoonBreath » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Here is something to consider Brry, not everyone who takes narcotic medicine is addicted to it - these people use it to block horrible pain ( it doesn't make them "high" ). In these cases, it is the pain blocking properties of opiates which are the true characteristics of the plant. I believe it is these blocking properties we see when opiates are used in confusion - they "block" your senses. Same with coffee, it is a stimulant but not everyone who drinks it is addicted. I guess what I am saying is just because SOME folks get addicted to opiates and caffeine etc... doesn't mean that "addiction" is the true nature of the plant.

Maybe if you want to "hook" someone, you could use plants with barbs on them? Like a burr :?: Something that will latch onto a person ... like Beggar Lice. :)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21 pm

sandra_swaybe,

That sounds like Dragon's Blood resin. We do sell it, and i will point you toward some informative pages:

http://herb-magic.com/dragons-blood-resin.html

dragon%CA%B9s-blood-resin-qustions-and-answers-t14325.html

http://www.luckymojo.com/products-dragons-blood.html

Brry,

1) We do not sell opium. We do sell Poppy Flowers and Poppy Seeds.

2) We do sell Black Candle Tobacco. See this thread:

Tobacco (Cigarettes, Snuff, Cigars) Questions and Answers
tobacco-cigarettes,-snuff,-cigars-questions-and-answers-t4799.html#p120920

3) We do not sell coffee beans.
catherine yronwode

Brry

Unread post by Brry » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 am

catherineyronwode: We do not sell opium.

Lmao! Well I should hope not. :lol:

I would recommend to anyone who wants to attempt this spell to please buy LM brand poppy flowers and/or LM brand tobacco.

Please do not attempt to buy the street drug, opium, as that would be highly illegal.

lily-ana

Spider Webs to Cross someone, and not for "attraction"?

Unread post by lily-ana » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 am

Hi Cat & Forum Members,

I was looking up LM products to stock up on, and found that on the crossing and jinxing products page (http://www.luckymojo.com/crossing.html) - spider webs may be a part of crossing formulas.

I read about "live things" in LM pages and get the symbolism of trapping an enemy in a spider web; but would a hoodoo rootworker use it to snare a relucttant lover, for example? Or do spiders in Hoodoo have a mostly negative connotation?

Thanks in advance folks!

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork”