• Please visit our Occult Sister-Sites
Herb-Magic.com

HHRM: Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic book: Questions and Answers

Discussiona about hoodoo and conjure spell books, instruction books, grimoires, and books on magic and spirituality.

New postby carolina_dean » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:54 pm

Written by Cat Yronwode

* Paperback: 224 pages
* Publisher: Catherine Yronwode (August 2, 2002)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 0971961204
* ISBN-13: 978-0971961203

Following in the footsteps of Harry M. Hyatt, an Anglican minister who collected folklore all over the United States in the later half of the 20th century and compiled his research into five coveted volumes, Catherine Yronwode has done the world of magic a great service by compiling and publishing this grimoire of African American Hoodoo.

Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic contains a plethora of information pertaining to not only herbs and roots, but also other items used in the practice of Hoodoo, or conjure, such as silver dimes, ammonia, raccoon penis bones, and lodestones. The entries for each item includes the scientific name as well as several folk names so that there can be no confusion between elements. In addition, the author goes to great lengths to describe in detail how each item is used in the practice of authentic Hoodoo. Where appropriate, certain entries contain insightful notes as to the toxic level of an item, or in the case of biological curios, if the animal in question is among an endangered species.

This is a well thought out, thorough work written by a woman who has studied for more than three decades with several experienced root workers and had the presence of mind to record their wisdom for us all. In addition she has taken what she has learned and raised the practice of Hoodoo to new heights by sharing her own successes and failures through her website. When you read the various entries, you can clearly see the author's obvious experience and dedication to the subject of Hoodoo. More than a scholarly work, Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic is a practical, hands-on manual of authentic African-American conjure. It contains spells and rites for virtually any conceivable need or desire. Unlike other authors, Yronwode does not shy away from the subject of curses. This is real Hoodoo, nothing is held back or edited for readers who ascribe to the 'harm none' Rede associated with modern Wicca and Paganism.

If you are interested in, or practice any form, of folk magic--especially one that utilizes herbs, roots, or biological curios-- then this book will most surely become an invaluable reference to you and provide you with a great deal of assistance in your efforts. As a magical practitioner myself I can say that this book has become like an old friend that I return to again and again for support and assistance and it never disappoints.

carolina dean
Carolina Dean
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate # 56G
carolina_dean
Forum Moderator

Re: Review: Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic

New postby bubba » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:58 am

Well i guess im buying one right away !!!!
bubba

New postby carolina_dean » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:46 am

You won't regret it. I actually bought two copies. The first was the first edition of the softbound copy that I wrote my own notes in the margins. The second was the updated Hardbound copy to keep in more pristine condition.

Now I'm not suggesting that you do the same, but I'm sure cat won't mind if you all buy them two at a time....lol

carolina dean
Carolina Dean
carolina_dean
Forum Moderator

New postby snake » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:10 pm

I just placed an order for this book and I'm DYING to receive it!! I've been wanting it for a long time. I've heard such great things about the book.
snake

New postby Sharona22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:26 pm

I am ordering one too I am so anxious but I am going to read the Hoodoo Theory first even though it will be rough to wait.
Sharona22

New postby carolina_dean » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Until the book arrives you can read excerpts from HHRM on cat's website here http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html

carolina dean
Carolina Dean
carolina_dean
Forum Moderator

New postby catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks, Carolina Dean, for the favourable review. And no ;-) i don't mind if folks buy two copies. We are about to go back to press with the fourth edition, believe it or not. It's a popular book and i am grateful for the kind response from the public.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby carolina_dean » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Thank you for writing it. I was hesitant to post my review as I was unsure if it fit in this category, but it is a product you sell and it (and you) deserve all the recognition you can get.

carolina dean
Carolina Dean
carolina_dean
Forum Moderator

New postby bubba » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:54 pm

I agree with Her yes CAT u deserve recocognition, i have surfed many sites and your the most generous lady online i have seen,,with the support,help and information u are giveing, I can feel your passion, knowledge and enthausiasm, and genuine love.

THank u so very much...

bubba
bubba

New postby Avalon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 am

I adore this book and use it constantly. It's looking a little battered, but I prefer the term "well-loved". LOL

Definitely recommend this book wholeheartedly!
Avalon

Thank You: "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" by cat yronwode

New postby K54 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:35 pm

I just received my copy (softcover) on Wednesday, and I am thrilled with it.

K54
K54

New postby justv » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:01 pm

I LOVE this book and haven't put it down! I hope to one day be a student of the HRCC and this book is truely allowing me to build a great foundation. miss cat you are an amazing woman and teacher. The knowlege you share is priceless, thank you for being so generous!
justv

New postby J Simulcik » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:32 pm

I want to get the hardcover version of HHRM to go with my course book; they just look so good! Is the hardcover version the same as the 3rd edition of the paperback (I.e. ends with Yucca)? Thanks so much!
J Simulcik

Re: HHRM- Hardcover Edition

New postby catherineyronwode » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:57 pm

We have less than a dozen hardcovers of the 3rd edition left. This week we go back to press for the 4th (and still MORE improved) edition, and that will be available in hardback before it is in paperback, as we still have a couple hundred copies of the 3rd edition paperback still in the barn.

If i were you, i'd wait for the 4th edition hardcover -- a couple of months at most -- but that's just me, always trying to perfect things!

BOO-GRI-HHSC
Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Paperback by cat yronwode
$14.95

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

BOO-GRI-HHHC
Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Hardcover by cat yronwode
$39.95

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby J Simulcik » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:23 pm

I think I will indeed wait for the 4th Edition hardcover; I know it will be released as soon as possible, so I'm not worried about the wait.

Do we get a preview of some of the improvements and additions in the 4th Ed. (maybe in the next newsletter) or will there be some big reveal at a later date?

Thank you once again, Miss Cat. Not only did you give me the information I asked for, but then you also gave additional information that I (and probably a few others) would find pertinent. As always, I wish you nothing but the best.
J Simulcik

New postby heathernijoli » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 am

I also use this book as a reference almost daily. It is, by far, the most useful book I have purchased.
heathernijoli

Thank You: "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" by cat yronwode

New postby Angelina » Fri May 22, 2009 9:50 pm

To Catherine-

I'm sure you get a lot of praise for your wonderful book- I just wanted to add to it- Thanks for writing such a clear, concise and very informative book-it's lovely!!!

:-)
Angelina

Re: Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic Book

New postby catherineyronwode » Sun May 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks for the praise -- you made my day!

BOO-GRI-HHSC
Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Paperback by cat yronwode
$14.95

catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby fausto » Wed May 27, 2009 6:15 am

Just ordered my copy today, along with a packet of red brick dust. Cant wait to get it.
fausto

New postby Chagrinedgirl » Wed May 27, 2009 12:29 pm

I can't say enough about this book either. I love that it's concise and written with miss cat's straightforward language and dry wit, making it a pleasant read, and not a dry list of herbs and their uses :)
So be it
-Jason Bourne

I'd rather walk in the right direction than ride with my head up my...
Chagrinedgirl

Concerning Your Book Cat

New postby mysiclady » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:28 am

Hello, I just want to say that I love your book,product and websites,you're great and a blessing.I have a question about your book,I have it, i cherish it.I wanted to know are all of the spells and rituals throughout the book or contained therein are complete. Do I use them exactly as stated or printed nothing added or taken away from them for what I want to implore or accomplish.

Thank You and lots of love
mysiclady

Re: Concerning Your Book Cat

New postby catherineyronwode » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:25 am

There are many ways to perform spells. I do not give th prayers that go with the work, as you will no doubt have your own way of praying. You may adapt the spells as given to suit your own needs, as Spirit leads you.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

HHRM

New postby nati1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Does it come in Spanish? and if not is there any plans of it being translated?
I can't stress enough how many times I read it and re-read it. My child and I are planning on making flashcards and seeing how many correct uses we get for each herb/root. Of course she will make it my job to write them (lol) so I believe I will have the advantage. Later on we plan on placing bets (real money) to up the ante. posting.php?mode=post&f=21#... all I know is that every time I open the book I learn something new. I guess I was soooo excited about receiving HHRM that I whizzed through it to fast (couldn't help it) posting.php?mode=post&f=21#

Happy Hoodoo to all
Nati
nati1

Re: HHRM

New postby nagasiva » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:04 pm

wow! that'd be sweet! no, we have no immediate plans for Spanish language translations of HHRM. we're still trying to get someone to translate the regular web pages and have yet had no luck. neither catherine nor i have any facility with Spanish language, so catherine would definitely would need someone to help with any kind of translation of the book. thanks for the suggestion.
nagasiva yronwode

Forum Technical Help
forum@luckymojo.com
Lucky Mojo Curio Company
nagasiva
Site Owner

New postby nati1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks for the reply!!! Well if you get a feeling of calling your publisher and asking if there is a program that will convert it to Spanish, please let me know, it will mean that my candle burning was a success. (lol & joking) I hope there is a great demand for the translation version and that it comes to be soon!!! In reference to the web pages is that English to Spanish or Spanish to English? If I can be of assistance please let me know. I can't seem to find it in myself to write on the ONLY copy I have so I'm going to order 2 more, that way I can make personal notes/comments and the other will be for my daughter... and I wanted to give 5 as gifts but I need them in Spanish. I guess translating verbally will have to do for now. Please post if this does come to be.
Thanks,
nati
nati1

Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by cat yronwode

New postby Wylde » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:18 am

Lots of questions on HHRM and herbs in general on here prompt me to put in my 2 cents worth on this product.

I love my copy of HHRM its one of 3 magical oriented herbal books I've collected in over 25 years of research (and over 70 books on herbalism) that I would recommend without hesitation, and in fact would heartily endorse if a testimonial were requested. If you don't have a copy its well worth the cover price and is signed in person by the lovely cat herself. Would that I had run across it much sooner in my travels.

It has extensive and multiple uses for herbs where indicated, as well as cross referencing of common names for them, next to impossible to find in herb books. It also has handy charts for quick reference if your looking for an herb for a certain predicament or situation which is a bit more common, but wonderful just the same.

This product gets 2 thumbs up and makes me wish I had another thumb to deliver lol
Wylde

Re: Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by cat yronwode

New postby moonbride » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:24 am

I second this! I purchased my copy from the Lucky Mojo site a few years ago and I treasure it especially because it is a signed copy by Cat. There is a LOT to learn from this book!
moonbride

New postby nati1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 am

I third the motion on HHRM... It's a wonder book!!!! I suggest that every buy a copy or two...I wouldn't dare part with my HHRM and am placing an order shortly for 3 more copies!!!!!

Happy Hoodoo Everyone
Nati
nati1

New postby KellyKat » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:33 pm

I'm not surprised that all of you have recommended this book and I'm glad that you did. I am just beginning in rootwork plan on ordering a copy of it next week. I'm sure it will be a great help!
KellyKat

New postby catherineyronwode » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:43 pm

I have no plans to publish HHRM in Spanish. The cost would be prohibitive to me at this time, since i pay for my own printing. But thanks for asking!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby SouthernGirl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:25 am

You know... I have the soft cover and it is getting a bit dog-eared. I'm thinking of ordering the hardback just to have a nice "crisp" copy. 'Course I collect books - they are one of my treasures. But if you have the extra $, it would be a great to have that pristine back-up as well as the sure to become tattered workhorse!
SouthernGirl

Book arrived

New postby pugpaws » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi! I Just wanted to say that my "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" book arrived a few days ago and I am really enjoying it! can tell that a lot of work went into this book! I'm so glad I found Lucky Mojo. Also, thanks for the quick shipping! :)

~Lauren
pugpaws

Re: Book arrived

New postby catherineyronwode » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:37 pm

You're welcome, and i'm glad you find the book enjoyable. The hardcover is a bit more pricey, but it will stand up to heavier use.

BOO-GRI-HHHC
Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Hardcover by cat yronwode
$39.95

The hardcover also makes a matching set with my hardcover "Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course."
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby NENA1182004 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Gosh I can't seem to put mines down!!! Great Book. Love It!!!!! Can't get enough I tell ya!!!!
NENA1182004

The "rent out your property" trick in HHRM worked!

New postby MaryBee » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi everyone:

Do what thou wilt!

Whew, it's been a while since I've posted. I moved back up to the Boston area in early July, and I was stuck in my lease in Florida. I did not want to have to pay the rent for two apartments until February 2010 :shock: so I looked in miss cat's trusty _Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic_ for a little bit of help. There I found a trick for "Renting Out Your Place" using ammonia.

I called a few times to the leasing office over the next few weeks and they were like "No, nothing yet". Hmmm. I decided to ask St. Expedite for help, so I petitioned him on August 24th.

The next day I called the leasing office to ask again if my apartment had been rented out, and they said:

"Oh yeah, the new guy moved in on August 15th."

:?

I stand by the original work :) Of course, I thanked and paid St. Expedite, for quickly getting me an answer. But thanks, miss Cat, for including that trick in the book for those of us on the move!

MaryBee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.
MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Re: The "rent out your property" trick in HHRM worked!

New postby cabriellenil » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Glad to hear it worked out for you.
cabriellenil

New postby catherineyronwode » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:32 pm

The 4th edition hard cover will be on sale sometime in early October. It is being printed now.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

New postby Turnsteel » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:The 4th edition hard cover will be on sale sometime in early October. It is being printed now.

Yay! I can't wait to order my hardcover addition, the soft cover has served me so well and taught me so much. :D
God bless you Dr Jose Gregorio Hernandez.
Thank you Saint Expedite
Turnsteel

New postby Mama Micki » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:18 am

Is it available for pre-order? I'd like to have one to go with my coursebook.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

New postby kittynmoon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Are you going to make an announcement when the new book is available?
kittynmoon

New postby thetallstranger » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:05 am

I'm interested in the new edition as well. Let us know when to order :)
thetallstranger

New Book Available Yet?

New postby kittynmoon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:29 am

Is Cat's new book available yet?
kittynmoon

Re: New Book Available Yet?

New postby Mama Micki » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

The fourth edition of Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic is available in hardcover.
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

New postby kittynmoon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:11 am

Yeah. Has anyone gotten it yet?
kittynmoon

New postby Mama Micki » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:28 pm

I have it.
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

New postby j82 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:27 am

are the editions different. or just newer updated info?
j82

New postby Miss Bri » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:34 pm

The editions are different to some degree. The 4th addition has new entries and some of the older entries have had more information added.
As always, I am a huge proponent of HHRM :-)

Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

New postby kittynmoon » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:46 am

I have the older book - 2nd edition. I love it but I was thinking about the getting the new edition. I was wondering if there were enough new info to get the new edition.
kittynmoon

New postby jwmcclin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:08 pm

I do not see the book on LMs site...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Cat's book, Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic

New postby Ariel10 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:28 pm

I just had to post that i have learned a lot from Cat's book. This is a must have!! I have some negative things going on and I really believe that things in this book have saved me, THANK YOU. I also give thanks to the many members of this site for sharing things they have learned, your information is helping a lot of people as well. I am on this site every morning and every night, I learn something everyday. I see posts on the site and I'm like wow, that sounds like my situation or something a friend is going through. The LM oils, herbs, curio's....they are wonderful and do exactly what they are made to do!! I wish i could order 20 of everything!!!

Peace & Love
Ariel10

Re: Cat's book, Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic

New postby Devi Spring » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:44 pm

That book really is amazing. I refer to it constantly and still learn new stuff from it even though I've had it for 5 years! I need to order the new hardcover edition because my paperback is getting quite dog-eared!
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Re: Cat's book, Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic

New postby Mama Micki » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:12 pm

Both the hardcover and paperback can be ordered here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

New postby Sirwegro » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:20 pm

jwmcclin wrote:I do not see the book on LMs site...

I'm interested in obtaining the new edition of hoodoo herb and root magic. How do I go about getting a copy? I'm asking because the post I'm quoting says it's not on the LM website.
Sirwegro

New postby Turnsteel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:47 pm

Sirwegro wrote:
jwmcclin wrote:I do not see the book on LMs site...

I'm interested in obtaining the new edition of hoodoo herb and root magic. How do I go about getting a copy? I'm asking because the post I'm quoting says it's not on the LM website.

It is indeed on the luckymojo site, and not all that hard to find, you just have to look.

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html
God bless you Dr Jose Gregorio Hernandez.
Thank you Saint Expedite
Turnsteel

Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic Book

New postby GIFTEDHANDS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 am

JUST GOT IT YERSTERDAY!
IT'S AWSOME! I WISH I GOT IT EARLIER
GIFTEDHANDS

Re: HHRM BOOK

New postby jwmcclin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 pm

It is...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Re: HHRM BOOK

New postby catherineyronwode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Thank you. I'm glad you like it. :-)
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Owner

HHRM: Hardback vs paperback

New postby kittynmoon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:59 am

I am going to sign up for the correspondence course... yeah! I can't decide if i should get the paperback or the hardback version of Cat's book. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
kittynmoon

Re: Hardback vs paperback

New postby Mama Micki » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:00 am

If you can afford it, get the hardback. Since you will be referring to it constantly, it will last a lot longer than the paperback.
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Re: Hardback vs paperback

New postby Joseph Magnuson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:04 am

I would advise the hardback as well. I am not yet in the course, but do know that my paperpack copy of HHRM is slowly slipping into "extremely used" condition. I plan on getting HC for both when I enroll.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Next

• Please visit our Occult Sister-Sites
Lucky-Mojo-Hoodoo-Rootwork-Hour-Radio-Show.com

Return to Books, Pamphlets, Instruction Manuals, and Grimoires in Hoodoo