Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Hindu Deities Spiritual Supplies Questions and Answers

All about Lucky Mojo religious supplies, church goods, and altar tools, plus prayers to God, angels, spirits, saints, and deities.
redacepilot

Hindu Deities Spiritual Supplies Questions and Answers

Unread post by redacepilot » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Is any one familiar with Lakshmi, the Hindu Goddess, and knows how to ask her for favors?

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: Statues

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Here is the LMC write up on Lakshmi: http://www.luckymojo.com/laksmi.html -- and Lucky Mojo does make Lakshmi Oil, Incense, Bath Crystals, Sachet Powders, Vigil Candle, as well as carrying her statues and some Lakshmi pendants.

I give my Lakshmi Jasmine rice, incense, oil, coins, and flowers. This is somewhat out of the range of traditional Hoodoo.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

redacepilot

Re: Statues

Unread post by redacepilot » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 pm

oh thank you Bri.

william

Lakshmi and other Hindu deities

Unread post by william » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:31 am

I am trying to work with St Expedite but he doesn't seem to want to work with me. Any other suggestions please, was thinking about Lakshmi, obviously not a Saint and not strictly Hoodoo but I have an affinity with her and other Hindu deities. Can anyone suggest anything please.

Also can anyone suggest a spell for procrastination, I run my own business but lately I am procrastinating so much, I never used to be like this and need to get rid of it.

Many thanks great forum ...

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:23 am

I would work with Ganesha in conjunction with Lakshmi for the best results. LM sells condition products formulated to work with them, and I'd combine a condition oil for the exact effect that you were going for with their oil when petitioning. Like if you're working for fast money then Ganesha oil +Fast Luck oil + Prosperity Oil or Road Opener, you could use the same combo with Lakshmi just nix the Road Opener and go for the Prosperity oil.

You could dress a vigil candle with that combo of oils, dedicated to the deity, and keep it burning throughout your petition with your name paper underneath. You could also just use a 4" altar candle that you dressed appropriately and carved with your petition burned daily. Chant appropriate mantras each day and perform a small devotional ritual daily during your petition (if you don't want to do full mantras for each of them, them at least chant their bijas "GAM" and "SHRIM" together 108 times, as this brings the vibration of opening the way and removing obstacles, and the vibration of abundance and prosperity) - if you're doing daily candle work, I would do this AFTER the devotional rite. The devotional rite simply presents the deities with the 5 elements - Earth (food offering), Water (water), Air (incense), Fire (candle or lamp), Spirit (your prayers, chants...NOT for your petition, done out of respect for the deity; chant for your petition AFTER the devotion).

If/when the favor is granted, then make sure to give them each an appropriate offering - they won't punish you if you don't, but they'll work for you very willingly in the future, and their positive energies can carry forward with you even after the work. Ganesha likes sweets, Lakshmi will pretty much take anything given with devotion, a coconut, flowers, or perfume oil are nice.

While capable of it, they tend not to be nearly as speedy as you may be wishing in my experience. They are fantastic spirits to have a relationship with, so it's certainly worth giving it a try.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

shyguy

Unread post by shyguy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:32 am

How exactly would one "show" devotion to a deity? Is there anything specific you would have to do to the candle before burning it and do you need to use a vigil candle? Any information would be awesome because I want to start putting deities on my altar. Oh that reminds me is there a limit on how many deities one can have on an altar? Or if Im doing a money spell for example, can I have deities on the altar that are all related to money drawing?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:59 am

Well, this info isn't really hoodoo, so you're better off PMing me and I can give you the info.
There are some deities that don't get along with others, and really showing devotion is a personal thing - so there's no real One True Answer. But I can give you guideline info. I worked exclusively with the Hindu deities for about 7 years, so I'm pretty well versed in working with them in both traditional and non-traditional contexts.

william

Unread post by william » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:04 am

Devi .. thanks for the great info, would it be ok if I pm'd you, I have a few other questions about this.

Will

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:06 am

Sure.

ShadoWalker

Working with Ganesh in Conjure

Unread post by ShadoWalker » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:42 pm

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a conjure man and he was talking about how he works his Ganesh pendant all the time and when he's doing workings. He mentioned to me that there are many people who work with Ganesh in conjure and I was curious on if anyone else works with him and what do they do. I have a Ganesh neckalce that I wear that I wear all the time and I say his mantra every Monday and Friday. I light a gold or orange candle anoninted with Frankincence and Lavender oils and light some sandalwood incence.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Re: Working with Ganesh in Conjure

Unread post by Turnsteel » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Some definitely do I can say that. Its by no means the oldest or most traditional thing in conjure work, but it is prevalent enough that you can buy oil,incense,baths and powders for everyone from Mother Kali, to Durga, to Ganesh from LuckyMojo. If you burn candle to him you may want to try the LuckyMojo Ganesh that you can find here: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatoils.html#hindu
HRCC Student #1559

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:15 pm

While I've never worked with the hindu deities, I do know they are popular among many modern conjurers. In fact, if you look through the pictures on AIRR you'll notice several members have altars devoted to Hindu deities. I believe our own Devi works with them and may shed light from her personal experience.

While conjure is based on loose forms of protestant Christianity, it does have polythesitic roots from influences like Palo and other African religions. Afterall, Conjure includes anscestor veneration, calling upon demi-god-like saints, a trickster devil, and other entities not recognized by traditional protestant Christianity. Perhaps workers who use the Hindu gods, view them along the same lines as the saints.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate #1550, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:31 pm

I do indeed work with some of the Hindu deities as part of my conjure.
Ganesh is an excellent guide and road-opener - he can help ease and expedite any working. He's also great in tandem with Lakshmi for prosperity.
The Lucky Mojo Ganesh oil is very sensuous with coconut notes - a very interesting scent.

When working with the Hindu deities conjure-style, I respect their cultural roots as well - utilizing puja (ritual worship presenting devotion and offerings) elements as part of the conjure. However, outside of using the mantras as centric to the "prayer" process, and offering them devotion before as well as after the petition is granted, you can just utilize them as you would saints - dressing candles or doing other rituals with an image of them present, and asking for their aid.

I personally see them as deities, which would be "higher" on the spiritual hierarchy than saints or angels - deities being facet personalities of Source, both separate and unified with It, expressing one specific aspect of God/dess. Even though I see all beings as part of the Whole, I treat them as individual entities.

ShadoWalker

Unread post by ShadoWalker » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I have belonged to a coven for a good time now, but usually only worked with the Goddess and God in any workings. In the past couple of years I started to feel this calling towards studying conjure and all my workings I did naturally had this conjure form to them. This of course created some hiccups in my coven life since my workings didn't follow the way my coven did theirs. I keep the craft way of doing workings and the conjure way of doing things totally seperate. As a mentor of mine put it the craft is my religon and conjure is my craft the way I do my workings. I have some things to learn on how to work with the different spirits and saints since they are still new to me in a lot of degree. I appreciate all of your help.

ShadoWalker

Unread post by ShadoWalker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Om Gann Ganapataye Namoh Namaha
Lord Ganesh
Remover of obstacles and blocks
God of wisdom and good beginnings
Nothing can stand in the way when we pray to you
Today I sing praises to you and offer up my heart and thanks to you
You have once again answered my prayers and granted me my petition
You are most wise and loving Lord Ganesh
I shall always love you, I shall always praise your name, and I shall always think of you
Namaste

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:34 pm

ShadoWalker wrote:I was talking to a friend of mine who is a conjure man and he was talking about how he works his Ganesh pendant all the time and when he's doing workings. He mentioned to me that there are many people who work with Ganesh in conjure and I was curious on if anyone else works with him and what do they do. I have a Ganesh neckalce that I wear that I wear all the time and I say his mantra every Monday and Friday. I light a gold or orange candle anoninted with Frankincence and Lavender oils and light some sandalwood incence.
Working with Hindu Deities is not something that you will find many traditional conjure people talking about, but in my experience those Deities have crossed the cultural lines and are incorporated in people's work whether they talk about them or not. Many of the old written works on Conjure, like Henri Gamache's Master Book of Candle burning will talk about the wisdom and magic of the "Hindoos" indicating that some of the best known conjurers had friends that were Indian and knew enough about their cultural and religious practices to see the value of incorporating some of the ideas into traditional southern-style conjure. Ganesh is an obvious choice to work with when it comes to road opening/obstacle removing types of jobs. He is also very effective to petition for women, safety of women and children, safety of women in childbirth, and happy homes. And of course the worker who has Hindu clients will encourage them to pray and work with the Gods and Goddesses that are familiar to them through their own tradition.
good luck,
Bri

ShadoWalker

Unread post by ShadoWalker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks Bri and everyone else for the excellent advice!

hesting0404

Offering herbs for Lord Ganesh

Unread post by hesting0404 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi all,

What are appropriate herbs I can offer to Lord Ganesh?

Also, is "road opener" oil recipe is very similar to those of "Ganesh" oil? If I have road opener oil, can I use to dress candle for Lord Ganesh?

Thank you

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
Re: Offering herbs for Lord Ganesh

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:06 pm

Ganesh loves sweet offerings, so perhaps go with a sweet smelling herb...or a sweet edible!

I think that dressing a candle with road opener would be good for you to work with Ganesh to open the road for YOU, but dressing a candle specifically for GANESH should probably be done with Ganesh oil.

I would love to have more people chime in here though... Ganesh chose me many years ago.

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Hey, I just found an amazing article on Ganesha, very helpful, with herbs/flowers he enjoys:

http://www.cincinnatitemple.com/articles/Ganesh.pdf

This might be worth your time as well:

http://www.balagokulam.org/events/ganeshpooja2008.pdf

(it says it is a 'child's guide' but as a white american male, it is perfect for my current understanding of Ganesh)

On a personal note; thank you for this thread, as I have let my studying of Ganesh lapse...now I have additional plans for tomorrows day off!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson

hesting0404

Unread post by hesting0404 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Joseph thank you for the reply. Hindu Deities are most revered in my home country (not India though)...My dad gave me Lord Ganesh statue a while ago and I totally forgot about him. Couple weeks ago, I felt an urge to work with him. Thanks for the links. I will check on them again.

We know he loves sweet :D the problem is after I gave him sweets, I need to eat them. I cannot throw away or give the sweet offering to my dog. Lord Ganesh loves sweet with coconut...but I'm not a big fan of coconut. If I offer herbs, I can just burn them as incense.

Thanks again for your answers.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 pm

Great post!

This is a pretty informative article on Ganesh, perhaps info you already know, but a great read for anyone else on here that would like to know much more about How Hindus Worship and lots more about Ganesh:

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resourc ... h_sec3.pdf

Hesting0404: keep us updated on any info or workings!

Good luck!

-joseph
Joseph Magnuson

hesting0404

Unread post by hesting0404 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Joseph, what do yo mean by "Ganesh chose me" ?

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm not really sure, to tell the truth. I was raised by very strict Lutheran grandparents, a mom who had no real beliefs, and went to a catholic school until the 4th grade. Never had any past Ganesh study or occurrences. From a very young age I have always felt a kinship with Ganesh, felt calm, propped up, and cradles by him. I'm not sure the root of it, but it is there, inside me, and I feel that warmth when I think of him. That has fueled my interest in many things...many different directions came from noticing Ganesh and feeling that "warmth" from a very early age...the exact same way I feel for hoodoo now.

...is the best way I can explain it...did that make any sense?! Time for bed for me...

Thank you!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:58 am

Ganesh chose me, also about 10 years ago. And by that I mean that once I heard of him (my degree was in Religious Studies), I just felt warm inside whenever I thought of him or saw his images. Withing doing so intentionally, I slowly began surrounding myself with him images (mostly printed off the internet and hung in my dorm room). I bought a few small statues of him, too. But it took me a few months to really realize that I was doing that to be closer to his energy. Eventually I found myself in a bit of a jam where I needed some obstacles removed, and so I went on a hunch and petitioned his aid through mantra and puja. The response was immediate and very loving...and from there on in I was his!

I was talking to a Hindu chaplain back when I was in university about it, as I contacted him for info on properly serving Ganesh, and he said that Ganesh is almost always the deity to call non-East Asians into the Hindu faith (or aspects of it, anyway). He said that pretty much whenever he was contacted for info by a Westerner, it was Ganesh that had brought them to him.

And, yes, he loves sweets! Though anything you offer with love will be accepted by him. But he REEEEAAALLLY does love sweets. ;) And yes, in Hindu practice it is traditional to eat the offerings after they have been made as prasad. So if you can't have sweets, then I can see that that would put you in a bit of a bind. If you can have fruit, I would suggest fruit as an ideal offering, as they are still sweet, and are often offered to him along with coconuts as well. A can of coconut water makes a nice offering, too.

The Ganesh oil smells NOTHING like Road Opener - it's a very sweet (big surprise, LOL) scent, whereas the Road Opener is very sharp & crisp (similar to Van Van). However, you could absolutely use Road Opener oil on a candle you were using to petition Ganesh. I would suggest burning sandalwood or camphor incense as those are very traditional scents that are used in serving the Hindu deities.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:59 am

Thanks for the awesome post Devi ! Some great information there! I am getting ready to construct a small Ganesh altar/shrine. I love the LM Ganesh oil...

I can get behind your experience with Ganesh calling you...I tried to convey that same feeling in my post!

Thank you again for the tips...

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson

hesting0404

Unread post by hesting0404 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:13 am

Thank you for the information Devi. I just bought the coconut water for him :-)

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Coconut water! A great idea! Thank you for that Devi !

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 am

I made a mixture of cooked rice, shredded coconut, honey, almonds, and pineapple to offer Ganesh.

I would also suggest buying the 4oz Rootworkers Special Oil and specify Ganesh oil on the order form under "special instructions". (You need to order it from the complete inventory page.) This way you will always have enough to dress devotional candles, and to anoint yourself. It is much less per ounce this way, and LM is able to put larger pieces of herbs in the bottle.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you Mama Micki! Great advice!

-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson

cognitivedissonance
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cognitivedissonance » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:27 pm

What is Rootworkers Special Oil? Where do I find that?

Is that just Special Oil #20?
HRCC Student #2174G

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Rootworkers Special oil is an awesome service provided by Lucky Mojo where you can choose a number of your favorite oils for a specific condition and they will blend them for you. You can find it in the complete inventory list.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:07 am

Or if you just want a big jumbo 4oz bottle of one particular oil that you happen to use a whole lot! That's what I use them for. :)
Check with the shop about that - last time I ordered those were only available to those people Miss Cat recognized as professional rootworkers. Perhaps she changed that and has now made it available to anyone who knows to ask.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:06 pm

I was not aware of any restriction on who may order it. Miss Cat may want to clarify this.

Lucky Mojo will blend 1-4 oils in a 4 oz bottle for $32 (equivalent to 8 half-ounce bottles, which would be $48). As Devi said, if you use a lot of a particular oil, this is the way to go.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Definately the way to go. For people who use a specific oil frequently like a rootworker, or someone who does a specific type of work often, or for someone who wants that blend of specific oils for a specific effect, this special is great.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:17 am

hesting0404 wrote: We know he loves sweet :D the problem is after I gave him sweets, I need to eat them. I cannot throw away or give the sweet offering to my dog. Lord Ganesh loves sweet with coconut...but I'm not a big fan of coconut. If I offer herbs, I can just burn them as incense.

Thanks again for your answers.
Hi there,
In the Hindu traditions you are supposed to eat the food offerings you leave before the deities except in very special cases that mostly do not apply here. The offerings, after they have been left before the deities are considered "prasad" blessed and are supposed to be eaten so that you may take the blessing into your body. Sri Ganesh loves sweetmeats and that is the traditional offering to him, along with rice, brightly colored flowers, and incense like champa or sandalwood.
Good luck,
Bri

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:20 am

Mama Micki wrote:I was not aware of any restriction on who may order it. Miss Cat may want to clarify this.

Lucky Mojo will blend 1-4 oils in a 4 oz bottle for $32 (equivalent to 8 half-ounce bottles, which would be $48). As Devi said, if you use a lot of a particular oil, this is the way to go.
There are restrictions, or there were in the online catalogue recently, about who could get the rootworkers special oil. I believe that Devi is correct, you need to be recognized as a professional worker as this is a service that the shop extends to the professional community. With that said, its always worth a call to check!
take care,
Bri

ShadoWalker

Unread post by ShadoWalker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:17 pm

It's to my understanding when working with Hindu Deities that when you offer food to them at their shrines it's popular to eat the offerings afterwards. This acts as an offering to them and when they touch it they bless the food. Then upon eating it you take in part of those blessings into yourself.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:11 pm

It's not "popular", it's the religious practice. But, yes, you're correct.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:06 am

Pardon me if this is a dumb question to ask, but I was wondering how long the food should sit in offering before it is eaten? I understand if it was an orange, but cooked rice and coconut might not be too good to ingest when left out very long. Thank you all for this continued thread...it is very informative!

-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:10 am

You leave it out only as long as your are there working - you eat it immediately following.

ShadoWalker

Unread post by ShadoWalker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:15 pm

I am curious though about those who pray to Lord Ganesh. Do you pray, say mantras, etc daily, weekly, or when you feel you need to petition him? As with a few people above I also found myself drawn to Ganesh and have many succesful workings with him. Just curious on what everyone does. One thing that I am trying to learn on my spiritual path is how to serve or work with different spirits. My religon is Old Religon where my patron Goddess is Hekate, but I also am very drawn to Santisima Murete and of course Ganesh and also Papa Legba. Sometimes I feel myself drawn to certain spirits, but have a hard time knowing if it's temporary and how to honor them all. I really don't have a lot of financial freedom so to speak, usually enough for bills and food with a little left over, and always feel "guilty" that I can't give them candles all the time or offerings like I would like. I use to have seven day candles lit on my altar everyday for like four months straight, but now can't really afford to do that. I hope this is all right to post on the forums. I was speaking to an elder of mine and he said that the Old Religon was my religon and Hoodoo is my craft and practice. Unfortuantley I don't have anyone around me where I can speak of these things and help me find that balance. Any guidance will be helpful since I am starting to feel a little lost.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Loving Ganesa is a good resource and it is online for free. Ganesha is a permanent religious fixture in my life, different from spirits that I have a more working relationship with. I consider him my primary spiritual guide, and my central devotional figure in my spiritual path. So, my practice would likely differ from how others who work with him may approach it. I studied traditional Hindu theology and practice as a stand-alone tradition for several years before putting together a system of devotional practice that suited my culture and spiritual background. I highly recommend learning about how he is perceived and worshipped within the Hindu culture first and foremost, as you will gain a deeper understanding of his nature.

However, chanting mantra and presenting basic offerings as a token of respect during your learning period is, of course, a great idea. Ask him to guide you to the resources that will help you. And then keep studying and learning and practicing what you can. Incorporate the traditional aspects that are fairly indispensible such as offering light and water, and honor his traditional likes and dislikes.

Ganesha is very easy going and joyful, so any sincere efforts you make will be appreciated. But taking the time to research his cultural context will help you a great deal and show respect for him.

But this forum isn't really the place to get into Hindu praxis, or even blended East-West practice. There are a good many resources online if you do some searching around.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:11 pm

ShadoWalker

Unread post by ShadoWalker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks everyone!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Thank you once again Devi ...the knowledge you give out is much appreciated!

-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:03 am

Ritual Sound wrote:Pardon me if this is a dumb question to ask, but I was wondering how long the food should sit in offering before it is eaten? I understand if it was an orange, but cooked rice and coconut might not be too good to ingest when left out very long. Thank you all for this continued thread...it is very informative!

-Joseph M.
I have been taught a couple of different things. First off, in India, typically there are always offerings before the Deities so the rotation of food is pretty consistent. Secondly, if you are offering something that is perishable and that needs to be consumed quickly, it is appropriate to proffer it before the Deity with a prayer and then immediately sit down to eat. It is also a good idea to have food items that do not perish as quickly so that those can always be placed before the Deity in an ongoing manner.

good luck,
Bri

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 am

Lovely, Mama Micki! Yes, that is a very common devotional mantra for Ganesha, and also the most common one for Road Opening-type work.

Phoenix333

Unread post by Phoenix333 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Using that mantra with a Road Opener candle=wow! Love the youtube, Mama Micki. As far as feeling chosen by Ganesh, a few years ago, I went to the Kali Mandir in Laguna Beach, CA. Now, I was expecting to feel a wallop from Ma, having had a strong affinity with that particular deity for a good ten years prior. For those of you who don't know, there is always an altar to Ganesh in every Hindu temple, regardless of who the patron is. (Ganesh is the keeper of the crossroads, after all, and needs to be petitioned first.) What I was NOT expecting was, when walking by Ganesh's altar, I felt "struck," (no better way to put it, this *zoom* of almost giddiness came over me), and I just started laughing and crying all at once. It was nothing less than the presence of divinity.
When I mentioned it to an older Hindu man who runs a cow sanctuary, he told me my shakti had been activated by the God.

mthwgrmn
HRCC Student

Unread post by mthwgrmn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:36 am

Hello all,

I was formally taught a Buddhist version of Ganesh practice by a Tibetan lama. (He sure gets around!). Other than sweets, I was told that Ganesh is very, very fond of radishes.

Incidentally, Tibetans consider Ganesh a kind of gambler's patron, so those looking to improve their odds at cards might get good results by honoring him.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Working with the Hindu Goddess Lakshmi

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:32 pm

There is also a page about Lakshmi at the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers site (AIRR) for those who do work with syncretic hoodoo-Hindu methods. The page is

http://readersandrootworkers.org/index. ... le=Lakshmi

Good luck!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

adept28

Mother Kali

Unread post by adept28 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Hey Have ever anyone on this Board, experienced practioners have incorporated the Mother Goddess of the Vedic Tradition, Mother Kali, into their Hoodoo practices, and whats their experiences in their ritual work?

much thanks

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Mother Kali

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:21 am

Hi, adept,

Yes, there are some cross-cultural ttendencies in hoodoo, even among very old-school workers, and in this internet age, we also find folks coming to hoodoo from various cultures, so there are indeed those who venerate Vedic / Hindu deities while working within the conjure form of magic. In fact, at the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers (AIRR) -- which is a professional association for hoodoo practitioners, there are informational web pages on not only the Hindu pantheon, but also Catholic saints, West African and African diasportic orishas, kimpungulu, and lwa, as well as Jewish archangels, and even Jewish/Christian religious traditions such as the use of the Psalms in rootworking.

For the AIRR page on Kali, including how she is approached for assistance by root doctors, see

http://readersandrootworkers.org/index.php?title=Kali

Good luck!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:13 am

Lucky Mojo also carries several products to assist in petitioning the Goddess Kali, including oil, incense, sachet powder, bath crystals, and a vigil candle.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:03 am

adept28 wrote:Hey Have ever anyone on this Board, experienced practioners have incorporated the Mother Goddess of the Vedic Tradition, Mother Kali, into their Hoodoo practices, and whats their experiences in their ritual work?

much thanks
I second miss cat's answer--yes there are old school workers such as myself who also work with other spirits/deities such as Kali. I have worked with Kali on behalf of clients and in my own personal work. You should read the link miss cat directed you to because it will give you more information about how to work with her and what type(s) of work she favors. She is one of the Great Goddesses in the Vedic and most likely pre-Vedic tradition, so her range is pretty wide.
Blessings,
Bri

TheLeo
Need another perspective on work with Hindu deities

Unread post by TheLeo » Tue May 17, 2011 9:27 am

I have a close devout hindu friend of whom I’m working with on getting his life in order. Mainly rootwork and he has given me permission into his life so I get messages and dreams about him when needed. Recently he asked me to help him remove the hindering blocks that are stopping him from moving forward. As I was waiting on a answer on what to do, I was awaken (as usual) at 4am I received a message that I must wait to do this work because he was already in a process of work happening, of which I had forgotten until then, he had asked Kali to cause destruction in his life so that he may have a proverbial “flat land” to build on. I was told to wait until the dust settled. I just would like another perspective on advice to give him on how he should move forward in unblocking himself.

*Side-note, he habitually blocks his own self through a lack a patience.

Thanx,
Kris. :D

P.S. May the FIERCE be with you!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Need another perspective on work I'm doing for a friend...

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am

Namaste Kris-

If Kali is at work, then there's likely not too much you can do! She's one hell of a force to be reckoned with, even when invited to do so. I've worked with her on a similar petition before, the the storm it created in my life was exponentially more disruptive and traumatic than I had anticipated (and I had anticipated quite a lot). So I do sympathize with your friend's situation.

What you can try, though, is having him invoke Ganesha's aid. He is the remover of obstacles and opener of the ways. He can help create pathways in the chaos that should help your friend navigate through the destruction. Make sure that he is clear when he petitions Ganesha's aid that he is not asking for interference in the work Kali is doing, just for some guidance and passage through the storm.

You could also suggest that your friend call out to Kali's manifestation as Bhavatarini, who is a much more gentle savioress aspect of Kali, to reach out Her hand in compassion and help him have the endurance needed to weather the storm. Between Bhavatarini and Ganesha, your friend should see some smoother sailing - though things will likely continue to be rough until Kali is finished.

Daily puja, even a very small and simple one, to those two Names with some time spent chanting their mantra while concentrating on the petition would be a good course of action for your friend. Lucky Mojo has some truly lovely Ganesha and Kali products that he could incorporate - such as incense and oils. Working with dressed vigil lights as part of the puja and mantra sadhana can be extremely effective.

However, if your dream message was for you to stay out of Kali's way until She is finished - I strongly suggest you heed that! You don't want her to turn her energies on you in a negative way. You may want to keep your involvement to gentle advice, rather than direct work for the time being.

TheLeo
Re: Need another perspective on work I'm doing for a friend...

Unread post by TheLeo » Tue May 17, 2011 10:46 am

Thank you soo much for your advice. It is well appreciated, it also gave me a lot more insight, as I am only amaturly versed on Hindu dieties, I am not persoanlly Hindu but he is and I believe it is important that I understand these dieties to a point and regardless I have great respect to others faith and their Gods. Yes, I was told to stay out of Kali's way and so this is great advice, at this time I am advised to only be gentle rather benign (if that is an appropriate way to put it) advice. Thank you for the confirmation :)

Blessings to you Devi :)

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Working with the Hindu deities

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 am

There are enough questions on the forum about this topic for it to warrant it's own extended thread where all the info can be collected together for ease of reference. So I have created it!

Enjoy.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Need another perspective on work with Hindu deities

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 am

You are welcome. I am now moving this into the Working with the Hindu Deities thread.

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Religious Goods and Altar Tools in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure”