Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Hoodoo and Religion: Voodoo Wicca Santeria Witchcraft Atheism

bellessecret

Hoodoo and Religion: Voodoo Wicca Santeria Witchcraft Atheism

Unread post by bellessecret » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:18 pm

I can't wait to order some things.

I was wondering if I should also read and learn about Voodoo - and how do I understand the difference?

Isn't Voodoo the religious side, and Hoodoo the practicing side not affiliated with a religion?

This is why I need books so I can understand.

I am actually Russian Orthodox and we do use the saints. But I think they are sort of different than the Catholic saints.

What brought me to Hoodoo was a problem I am having. A woman where I live, in Maryland, advised me to use an Our Lady of Charity glass candle and a Go Away oil. That and her amazing Hoodoo things she sold totally sparked my interest. I had never before thought about Hoodoo. I also should say I do some Kitchen Witchery using candles and oils and herbs.

I would love to read a good book about Marie Laveau and her daughter. Any recommendations? I looked at the Lucky Mojo booklist but didn't see anything unless I overlooked them.

Thank you so much. I'm so glad I have found this awesome site . I can't believe how much information and knowledge is here!!

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Re: Hoodoo and Religion: Voodoo Wicca Santeria Witchcraft Atheism

Unread post by J Simulcik » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Dear bellessecret,

Please see "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" by catherine yronwode, specifically the page on the history f hoodoo, here:
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

This page will give you a good overview why Voodoo is not hoodoo, as well as placing hoodoo in its proper Christian cultural context, which is essential to beginners in the tradition.

Understanding where these lines are and why they are there will help you to see the 'edges' where hoodoo resembles and even draws from other magical or religious traditions, and where it remains distinct. This will also help with your work in that you will be able to more clearly draw the line where you have changed too much from the tradition to call yourself a practitioner of hoodoo. Many workers do this in some form or another, but it's important that you know at what point you have done so.

It is good that you have found a place where you can discuss this type of work in person. I would just offer a friendly reminder to be aware of two things:

1) As someone who is new to rootwork, you will not be able to recognize right away whether everything this woman does falls within the tradition, like I was saying above, and

2) Questions about hoodoo are what this forum is here for, but its focus is primarily on Lucky Mojo's products and customers. Using this forum to disassemble what the other shop is doing may be ill-received and possibly inappropriate.

That being said, when I lived outside Baltimore I saw many things which in hindsight were definitely African-American folk magic.

And again, welcome. Start a thread in the introductions forum and let us know more about you.
HRCC Student #1339

bellessecret

Unread post by bellessecret » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Thank you for all your information and advice again. I apologize for getting a bit carried away. I forgot totally that this is not a general discussion group, but it about the Lucky Mojo products.

And being close to Baltimore, I will start taking more notice of things..... I will go to the introduction thread. Thanks so much!

Editrix

Unread post by Editrix » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Check this out for a very good, in-depth differentiation between hoodoo and Voodoo (and other info as well). It should help a great deal.
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html#hoodoois

bellessecret

Unread post by bellessecret » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:51 am

Thank you so much, Editrix! I will definitely be reading it! I appreciate it very much.

yoopylucks

Unread post by yoopylucks » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:12 am

I just have a question. i spoke to an Espiritista (Latin American Spiritualist) and i know that hoodoo has some roots in there mixed with Spiritism and would like some clarification.

This Espiritista lady told me about a spiritual bath that involved 5 pennies and beach water. The bath consisted of three gallons of beach water each of which you put 5 pennies into it then pour the water over you and then you through the pennies away

i need some clarification if anyone has heard of a bath like this or similar to this. ive looked online, ive got plenty of books on so many different spiritual systems, including Santeria, Palo, hoodoo, Espiritismo, Voodoo. I have not found anything or anyone that can give me clarification on this one particular bath.

ANY CLARIFICATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU IN ADVANCED.

Leah Rivera
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Leah Rivera » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:11 am

I have not heard of this -- Copper and Beach Water-- in the hoodoo tradition of African American folk magic. Perhaps someone else has, but it would be very specific as to location, because most of the South is not ocean-front property. Actually, this sounds like a Caribbean Island custom, and it may be a magical one, not a religious one.
Lara
Leah Rivera - HRCC Graduate Apprentice #0896

yoopylucks

Unread post by yoopylucks » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:19 am

I think that i have to ask this:

The truth remains that where i live there is a lot of Paleros or people who practice the African magic and religion called Palo Mayombe or Palo Monte. To me that is fine. I have a few friends who dabble and what not in that.

Now my question is, can one battle Palo Monte or Palo Mayombe with hoodoo or would this be out of the ordinary?

Say for example if "John Doe" was sent a hit from a Palero, could he counteract the hit or send it back using hoodoo?

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:15 am

I know this topic has been covered, so you might want to do a thread search. Yes, "john doe" can counteract a hit using Christian hoodoo.

This is a topic of "whose magic is more powerful?" This is a very moot point all the way around, because so much depends on the magic workers themselves. The religions to which the workers belong will not make them stronger magicians, all things being equal.

I know of many, in my view, incompetent Paleros, who would be just as bad in any magical system; they just happen to be Paleros. I can say the same for some Vodou workers. Some people are just not gifted for magic, period. Just like some people can play hoops, but won't be in the NBA anytime soon.

Keep yourself protected and don't worry about what "system" others are doing or the name of their religion. If you want to study Hoodoo, then do so. If you want to practice the religion of Palo, then do so. Just don't start trying to compare apples, oranges, mangos, and pinapples when it comes to magical systems.

Good luck1

Mary

yoopylucks

Unread post by yoopylucks » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 pm

ok thanks for the clarification i guess i was thinking that you would have to fight in the same system always but thank you so much for that

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:06 pm

Yoopylucks,

General American folk magic beliefs are not the same as specific hoodoo traditions. Many African Americns may subscribe to general American folkloric ideas, such as that copper has healing properties with respect to arthritis. but that does not make such beliefs hoodoo per se.

Espiritismo -- the Spanish-language word for Spiritualism -- comes in many forms or denominations in Latin America. There is Mexican Espiritismo, the Kardecian Spiritism based around the teachings of the French author Allen Kardec, Espiritismo Cruzado or Syncretic Spiritualism, and Santerismo which mingles Espiritismo with Santeria.

These variants were popagated in Latin America and share fewer roots than you might think with American Spiritualism, which derives generally from the 19th century Spiritualists and Spiritual Churches of the USA, and more particularly, with respect to hoodoo, from cross-pollination with the Spiritual Church Movement of the early 20h century originally led by Leafy Anderson, an African American woman born in Wisconsin.

There is a lot you could read on this subject to educate yourself. I would recommend the following books:

* "Paschal Beverly Randolph, a 19th Century African American Spiritualist and Sex Magician"
* "The Spirit of Black Hawk, a Mystery of Africans and Indians"
* "The Spiritual Churches of New Orleans"

In addition, this Association of Readers and Rootworkers web page will be of help to you and others who are trying to understand the term "espiritismo":

AIRR: Working Within the Spiritualist Tradition
http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... _Tradition

That being said, there are MANY hoodoo spells involving coins, including copper coins and silver coins used in baths, as amulets, and for ingestion. In other words, it is not the "copperyness" of the coins, but the "coinyness" of the coins that is being utilized in hoodoo.

Also, the fact that your Espiritista informant specified a "beach water" bath points toward this rite coming from an island or coastal area, perhaps from a Spanish-speaking area on the Mexican or US Gulf Coast, or Cuba, where Espiritismo is practiced.

It would not be part of Mississippi or inland Georgia or Tennessee hoodoo or Spiritual Church practices. Big clue: The word "Espiritista" is not English! :-) .

Also, if folks always had to "fight in the same system" then Jesus could not have driven out demons and Elijah could not have bested four hundred and fifty priests of the Canaanite god Baal.

Please try to stick to questions about the practices of English-speaking American hoodoo doctors whose roots lie in the Southern United States. Thanks!!!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Lukianos
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lukianos » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi yoopylucks,
yoopylucks wrote:i guess i was thinking that you would have to fight in the same system always but thank you so much for that
In general it is far better to use the methods you know best and are most gifted with to deal with problems, regardless of the source of those problems. Even remedies which are fairly specific in their application (blue glass amulets against the evil eye, for example) often work on their specific thing irrespective of the source (the notion of the evil eye occurs in many cultures, but a Turkish blue glass amulet may be expected to work against the evil eye in any geographic location, and from any person of any nationality or background).

The cleansing, protection, reversing work, etc. that we discuss here is rooted in a specific tradition (Hoodoo, which is North American, predominantly Christian, primarily African-American with influences from Native American and European sources), and while these roots may limit the materials, prayers, and methods used by rootworkers, they do not limit the functionality of those works. To use a more concrete metaphor, an effective cleansing agent will clean one's floor, regardless of where the dirt came from.
Peace be with you,
Lukianos

Angelina2

Unread post by Angelina2 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:13 am

Hi all,

I am a Roman Catholic -- not a churchgoer, but more spiritual than religious.

I know Hoodoo is not a religion but does have certain Christian elements, so i am wondering if doing any Hoodoo rituals could possibly have any repercussions -- only because I was taught that by doing any form of magick would be altering God's will for us.

Since there is no Pagan or African religious god or goddess involved in petitioning and this is not a religion, but more about focusing on the power of the herbs that God gave to us and our own inner strength, do you feel this would be wrong?

When working a spell, is it okay to use God's name to ask for help using these oils, incense and herbs?

Sorry if i rambled a bit, but please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:21 am

Angelina,

Hoodoo has more than "Christian elements"; most of its practitioners have been and are Christian, often Baptists.

There is a God in the Baptist religion. He is known as Jehovah, The Lord, or just plain God. Asking God's intercession, asking for things to happen if they are justified, is common in hoodoo, as is praying the Psalms.

Those hoodoo workers who work with Catholic Saints are also working similarly to the canonical Catholic Church, asking for the saint (who is associated with the cause, etc.) to plead the person's case to God.

Hope this helps.
HRCC Student #1339

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 am

Angelina,

Hoodoo is known by sociologists, anthropologists, and ethnographers as Christio-Conjure. It is Christian.

It basically comes in three denominational variations:

* Protestant (embracing the vast majority of practitioners),
* Catholic (including a small minority of practitioners), and
* Spiritualist (including another small minority of practitioners).

People of other faiths have picked up elements of conjure, in the same way that some folks pick up elements of, say, Hindu deity worship, or Buddhist meditation, or Pagan seasonal celebrations -- but they do so without being fully socially, culturally, or emotionally connected to the tradition.

For more detailed information on this subject, please read my "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" page on the history and practice of hoodoo, here:

http://luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

For the way in which the Judeo-Christian Psalms are employed in magic, see this portion of the site operated by the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers:

http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... _of_Psalms
catherine yronwode

Angelina2

Unread post by Angelina2 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Thank you J and Catherine, this clarified my thoughts!

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:25 am

The best saint worker I know is my mother and she is a faithful Roman Catholic who goes to church regularly. She is the one who petitioned St. Bernadette for a girl (me) and St. Dymphna to be released from a mental hospital in 1963. She can tell you what saint to petition for any cause under the sun. She has elaborate altars that would rival any magic altar I have ever seen. She practices a form of magic, but does not call it that. She calls it asking for help and praying. This was my first taste of magic as a little girl.

My point is many people practice a form of spiritual work without calling it "magic."

Mary

Angelina2

Unread post by Angelina2 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:41 am

Thank you Mary!

Dominating_lady

Unread post by Dominating_lady » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:48 am

I have been wanting to ask this question also. I grew up in a strict household, and was taught any form of magic is the "devil's work". I often ask myself these questions from time to time... pondering.

Can these thoughts affect my conjure work? I like to think positive thoughts, but my mind can wander...i'm a picses. ;)

Avalon

Unread post by Avalon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:51 am

I was raised Roman Catholic, and after a long period of soul-searching (including almost 15 years of considering myself Pagan) I've returned back to Christianity. The Doctrine of Signatures says God put all plants on this earth for us to use, so I honestly can't see Him finding fault in our bettering our lives with His bounty. Just my way of looking at it. :)

Angelina2

Unread post by Angelina2 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi Avalon, thats true; good way to look at it.

Mohammed

Unread post by Mohammed » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Wow! I was wondering the same thing too! I was raised as a Christian, but since a small child very attracted to world religions, other cultures, and divination, herbs, etc. etc.

Mary:

I wish I could meet your mother!

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:47 am

I think the emotonal element of a magical practice is very important.

I studied various paths, Hindu, Faery, Pagan, Santeria, but never practiced any of them. I studied them more from a scientific stand point and even though I am psychic, I would say I was agnostic until I was about 24. It was only when I encounted Vodou did I feel an emotional connection. That emotional resonance is very important, in my view, in any spiritual practice.

Mary

luckycharms

Unread post by luckycharms » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm

I was told I have Goddess Given Power from a Voodoo Witch friend of mine and I am curious as to know a little more of what it means.

I can do things like make my body get warm from using my mind if it's cold here in the house. Whenever i make up a spell or perform a spell it works really fast when i use strong hard faith and a force....

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Dear luckycharms,

Don't know what a Voodoo Witch is, but this is a hoodoo forum. I have not heard of what you describe in Vodou.

Mary

Editrix

Unread post by Editrix » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:09 am

luckycharms --

It sounds like you've got a whole jumble of traditions going at once -- a "Voodoo Witch" talking about "Goddess-given power" -- you're not likely to get a clear-cut answer to that question on a forum dedicated solely to hoodoo, which is primarily practiced by Christians.

I realize this is a simplistic suggestion, but why not ask your friend for more clarification?

keirith

Unread post by keirith » Wed May 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Is it OK to try two different reconciliation spells at the same time if both may come from different cultures/origins?

For instance, what if one uses a Voodoo spell and some other kind of spell at the same time?

I am assuming this is OK if they are both for the same purpose.

Thanks.

Devendra

Unread post by Devendra » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:30 pm

I have a question for you guys (fellow forum members). I know hoodoo has roots in Christianity even though the practice is not religious.

Do any of you alter aspects of hoodoo to fit your own beliefs and practices?

I would like to work with hoodoo, but with using Witchcraft chants instead of psalms/Bible verses to carry out the spells. Would that be unethical? Do any practitioners do this?

Are there any resources I can find for using non-religious incantations for hoodoo? Information like that has been hard for me to come by on the internet. I would really like your input and opinions. Thank you.

Devendra

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Keirith and Devendra,

Voodoo is an African and African-Diasporic religion in which magic may be practiced, but be wary when people tell you they are selling you "Voodoo spells." They may just be using the word "Voodoo" to sell their goods. A Voodoo spell, if it is authentic, would involve petitions to the deities or lwa of the Voodoo pantheon.

Hoodoo is African American Christian folk magic. It also does not involve a lot of "chants," in the way that English folk magic does. However, although many Christian (and Jewish) practitioners make use of the Psalms in their work, there are also many secular folk-magic spells and affirmations that do not directly invoke a deity.

Check out Dr. Kioni's ever-increasing income spell for an excellent money affirmation:

http://www.luckymojo.com/spells/green/cashspells.html
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Paco2

Unread post by Paco2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:45 am

Just to clarify (and no intent to take the conversation away from Hoodoo...):

Puerto Rican Espiritismo makes substantial use of Allen Kardec's teachings in Spiritism, his "Coleccionario" [Collection of Selected Prayers - most of them culled from the "Gospel According to Spiritism"] is found in every Espiritista's altar or mesa blanca.

In fact, every "misa" [seance] is essentially done with prayers and poems from that book, with traditional hymns and songs from Afro-Caribbean Catholicism thrown in (like "Venid O Protector o venid, sed el guia de nuestra mision...").

Kardec's theories regarding the nature of spirits, "fluids", and obsession, etc. are also used in Espiritismo.

After that, some branches of Caribbean Espiritismo in the essentially adopt practices from Palo and other African-based religions such as Sanse /Misterios / Dominican Vodou and Santeria / Lukumi. This is, briefly, what Espiritismo is, at least in the Puerto Rican context.

Some Cuban writers suggest at least two modes of Spiritist practice in the Caribbean:

One ("scientific") is generally espoused by the [generally] white upper classes and was popular in earlier centuries. To this day, it is not rare to find moneyed persons who wouldn't have anything to do with "witchcraft" or the African Diasporic religions of Palo or Santeria, go visit an Espiritista.

The other is more openly African-influenced. A misa of this type can be confused with a Palo or Misterios ceremony.

None of them ever established churches as such. You either go to a "centro" [center] or visit a solo practitioner. But, to my knowledge, there never were established Spiritist "churches" in Puerto Rico. The centros are definitely more low-key than a church. So I wouldn't consider them the same thing.

I have a feeling the Spiritualist denominations in the US are quite different from Espiritista traditions in Puerto Rico.

That being said, I believe Espiritistas and Spiritual Church rootworkers have a lot of things in common and a lot more information they can share. We are talking about African-Diasporic traditions influenced heavily by Native American, European and in some cases even Asian traditions (and yes, there are Espiristas working with such diverse "spirits" such as the Hindu and Taoist deities Kali, General Huang Ti, Kwan Yin, etc.). That is why I find Ms. Cat's research and work priceless.

salmyrcrr

Unread post by salmyrcrr » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:01 pm

I decided to do a spell myself.. I practice spells casting for about three years. Some spells I cast work some did not.. It been about two years since I have work any spells.

My mom got sick about two years ago and I went to church. As I want a be Christian in this church you are not suppose to practice any type of spell casting. If you do, they say you will go straight to hell. However, this part of me have never left me.

The way I met my boyfriend was through my mom (may she rest in peace). Ten days before she passed away she have told me to call him. (He have given me his number and I told her.) She seem please that he gave me his number.

After my mom passed away, I decided to take her advice and call him. One thing led to another and here I am madly in love with him. At first all was so rosy. However, after only being with him for three months he broke it off. Ever since than we been in a roller-coaster ride. Just last week he told me "not to wast my time thinking about him".

After five days of him saying those awful words to me he could not stop calling me. He left me tons of messages saying "sorry" (no spells, I just kept deep thoughts of him).

Right now we are back together again.. I am so tired of playing these games with him. So, I am going back to my spell casting days. I would buy one of the kit and take it from there, even if my Christian church would say it is not good. If it meant to be, which I know it is. We would be together. Thanks you for reading.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:07 pm

salmyrcrr,

Good luck with your spell-casting. I happen to know many Christians who do all sorts of magical work -- in fact, Jewish, Christian, and Muslim magic has a history of hundreds of years. So what you were told was true in the particular church you attended, but it is not the case in all Christian churches.

Anyway, i would recommend a combination of Love Me (to keep his love fresh) and Peaceful Home (because he is not yet peacefully settled), and remember to set yourself a timeline -- do not allow him to keep yourself on that ugly "roller-coaster ride" too long. If you cannot settle him down and get to a good, steady, peaceful, loving place with him within, then consider him a lost cause and move on.

Good luck,
catherine yronwode

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Maybe your guilty feelings (conscious or unconsious) about spell-casting, taught to you in your particular Christian church, are getting in the way of your success. Don't call it a spell; call it a prayer. The candles, oils, and other materials are tools to help you focus your prayers. I would suggest reading the Song of Songs, a beautiful book in the Jewish portion of the Bible about King Solomon's romantic relationship. You don't have to recite the whole thing; pick out a few passages you like.

You deserve a good man whether it is this one or someone else.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Tabbylove17
HRCC Student

Unread post by Tabbylove17 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:50 pm

Mama Micki is right. Don't let the word spell aggravate you because that's all it is, it's a prayer. Shes right you deserve the very best.
Ask, Believe, Receive!

MaJiG_GarDen

Unread post by MaJiG_GarDen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:30 am

Hi everyone :)

My ex boyfriend who's a Muslim would be fasting due to Ramadan which is like a holy month (end aug to end sept) for muslim's where they sacrifice food...etc.. and attend mosques & generally just pray a lot. I am about to do a honey jar for him as well as a vinegar jar for him and ''girlfriend'' and if need be a break up candle! Anyhoo I was just wondering if him praying a lot would affect any of the spell work I am about to do. All advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

salmyrcrr

Unread post by salmyrcrr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:49 am

My boyfriend is also Muslim and I want to do a love me spell however, I have the same concern you do. I was wondering if just swearing to Allah, our God, if he married me I convert to Muslim not just because I have to but, I will be a true Muslim ... I hope no one here think I completely lost my mind..

MaJiG_GarDen

Unread post by MaJiG_GarDen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:06 am

salmyrcrr,

I completley understand your concern Salmycrr but did he ask you to convert? I'm not a Muslim myself but I will never give up my faith for anybody. However as I have already mentioned is there anybody who knows whether the spells (honey jar/vinegar jar/break up/intranquil) would still be potent even if he's praying???

amandine

Unread post by amandine » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:04 pm

that's odd how this topic is on my mind now too... now that i have experience with the "unseen" I'm really interested in going back to Islam and using my powers for ruqya.

MaJiG_GarDen

Unread post by MaJiG_GarDen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:26 pm

amandine,

can you elaborate what you mean by the ''unseen'' and whats RUQYA??

thanx

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 pm

MaJiG_GarDen,

"Ruqya" is seeking healing by reciting certain sections of the Qu'ran and breathing over the ill person.

Mary

Lynda
Newly Registered

Unread post by Lynda » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:09 pm

salmyrcrr,

I'm totally no authority on this subject but I've studied Islam and lived in an Islamic envirornment for many, many years so maybe I can help with this question. I'm wondering what you mean by "swearing to Allah...." in the context of being married and converting. Being married to a Muslim does not make you Moslem, if that's what your'e asking, however, swearing to Allah with a pure inention to convert (I believe its three times) would probably be a start to converstion. Living your life based upon the laws of Islam would be what makes you Moslem.

As for doing a love spell while your ex is fasting, etc., it really isn't going to make a difference whether or not its done during Ramadan or any other time if he's truly very serious about his religion he would be praying and going to Mosque and doing all the other things that he's supposed to do all the time. In my own very humble opinion, its going to depend on you and how well you do your work :-)

Lynda

MaJiG_GarDen

Unread post by MaJiG_GarDen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:33 am

hey lynda thank you for the reply... its so encouraging knowing i can still continue with the work! :D

salmyrcrr

Unread post by salmyrcrr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:15 am

Lynda,

What I meant to say, that I would convert for him if Allah, give me my wish.. My wish is to married and make life with my ex-boyfriend.. We broke up yesterday :(

salmyrcrr

Unread post by salmyrcrr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:06 am

salmyrcrr,

Good luck ! hope you get what you want

Lynda
Newly Registered

Unread post by Lynda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:24 pm

salmyrcrr,

Ah, sorry to hear about the breakup.

I'm probably misunderstanding again, but are you saying you'd convert if your boyfriend asked you to? I do know lots of girls who have done that, sometimes it works out sometimes not. But before you think about converting ..... ask yourself if you would be doing that whether you get back with him or not.If not, then truly its not a good idea. Of course, it would make it easier for you as a couple if you did convert, however, doing so for another person, rather than yourself, can be challenging. Besides, the whole conversion thing is more of a family or personal issue - as a moslem guy, he can marry a non-moslem, but the children would be raised moslem. Also, some traditions within Islam allow "temporary" marriages wherein the couple simply declares their intetion for a certain period of time - a night, week, year, or years. Again, thats all on the guy, moslem women don't have the option in most cases :-)

But as far as hoodo-type working, as I said before, in my opinion its going to depend upon how well you do your work. Also (and please know this isn't a slam on your boyfriend) he may not be as, lets say pious, as he appears to be even though its Ramadan. I know lots and lots and lots of people who fast, pray, and do everything they should do during Ramadan and live their lives quite differently at other times, if you get my drift. I'm not saying he'd be putting on a show or going through the motions, but if he were, he certainly wouldn't be the first one!!! In which case, your work should be even easier to have success.

Good luck - I've been where you are and I feel for you :-)

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:11 am

salmyrcrr,

Converting for someone else is the wrong reason to convert. I know tons of people who converted to Judaism, Catholicism, and Islam, with no lasting affects on the relationship. The families still did not care for the people who converted. It all depends on how the target feels towards his/her family. Some people are ruled by their families for various reasons.

Oh, and just being Muslim does not count. I know Persians who will not marry people of Arab descent, even though they are both also Muslims. I know Muslim Arab-Americans who will use American women for sex and promise them marriage, but import a "nice" Arab girl to marry.

Think long and hard about this.

Mary

Brida

Unread post by Brida » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:46 pm

salmyrcrr,

Okay, take it from a Muslim ... to convert to Islam for marriage, or any other reason other than believing in the faith itself is a sin. PERIOD.

I have several male relatives who have married women of other religions, and my male relatives each gave their wife the choice to convert. They did not ask them to convert to Islam. They know that if they do ask them to convert, and the woman does only to be with him, then she is committing a sin, and he is committing a sin in asking her to convert. In Islam, a man can marry a woman who is Christian or Jewish. It is not required for them to convert.

There is a reason for everything, so be happy that you got rid of this guy who was more than likely just using you. I don't know the whole dynamics of the relationship, but I can tell you from experience...it is much of what it sounds like.

I will pray for you, and know that the best is yet to come for those with good hearts. ;)

-Brida
"You can't fish on dry land." - My Momma.

mimiso

Unread post by mimiso » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:03 am

Mary gave a great answer.

I'm also in love with a muslim boy and feel like i can't find anyone more compatible than him.

if you are familiar with Islam, you know that men are to respect their mothers right after God. They value their mothers more than anything, and if the mother doesn't want a girl, then I'm not sure why you'd want to join the family anyway. what's the point of marrying someone you 'love', and what they love is their family, and their family doesn't accept you? you would be the black sheep at every function and eventually, the religion and other family members will add stress to the 'love' feeling you had for him. it won't feel as fun or nice anymore.

i've been through your situation. just think of it all dynamically instead of just the small focus of how you feel for him. think of all that he loves and if for you to convert seems right, then for you it may be worth it.

good luck! just think it through :) thoroughly

Brida

Unread post by Brida » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Mary did give a great answer, and Mimiso gave a very insightful one. Mimiso is right. In Islam it is common thought that "The heavens lay at the feet of mothers." The mother comes first in a man's life until she passes, then it becomes his children..."wife on the pedestal' is not something that usually happens until late in their 60's and so on. I speak from experience when I say that a man's faith in Islam ususally goes in waves. There are times in which practicing is not so much center of attention, and then there are tidal waves (Esp. after children are born) where all of a sudden the beard starts to grow out, and constant demands of being a good mother according to his views becomes the issues in and out of the bedroom. I am so sorry you are going through what you are going through.

Mimiso is right, there are MANY men out there who have a lot of love to give. Use magic for the good of you, and all. If you use magic to tie a toxic love to yourself, then wouldn't that be considered self-destructive? I really believe that all people deserve to be with whom they love, but more importantly they deserve to be with one whom loves them more than they love themself. Esp. women. In general, it is women who break their hearts over the affection of a man. It is seldom that you see men breaking their hearts to get even the slightest attention of a woman. I am not saying there are not any really loving men out there, but in the Muslim world...let's just say, the majority of them will go back to home basics when it all boils down to what they want, and how they want to live their lives.

I was married to a Muslim man, who loved an American woman. After three years of marriage, the universe directed me in finding out that he loves this woman, and has loved her for many years before I ever came in to the picture. Btw, I am American, too, but by naturalization. He was with this woman for years before he came around my family asking for my hand. One thing that was great about our marriage, even though we both did not love each other was that we always had open and honest communication. I asked him why he married me. He told me that I was the most beautiful woman he ever saw, and that his family loved me dearly. I asked him if he loved "her." He said, "Yes, but I can't have children with her. She is not Muslim, and she will not be able to raise a family like you will." So, to make a long story short...I sat this woman down, and asked her about her true feelings for him, then I asked her if she really would sacrafice her thoughts, ideas on life, and lifestyle to be with him. Her answer was "Yes." So, I divorced him on the condition that the two of them get married, regardless of what his family says. They did get married, they have three beautiful children, and he is happy. She is sadly, not. Nevertheless, she is a mother now, and she has to think of her kids. I still speak to her, and offer her as much support as possible because I know his family well. The family has come around a bit in being really good to her, they are nice people. Though, tradition is tradition, and in time it can become a part of the nature of a person.

I am sorry this is such a long post. I just feel for you. I care for you as a woman, and I think you should be happy always; not just for a little while. Listen to the Universe, it does speak to us through magic. The Universe never fails to tell us what we need to know, and with all it's wisdom, the Universe tells us what we should hear, and not always what we want to hear.

Again, you are in my prayers.

hugs,
Brida

mimiso

Unread post by mimiso » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Wow Brida, you're such a good person. A sacrifice like that isn't easy. but I know what you mean with feeling a fake kind of love.

Brida

Unread post by Brida » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Thank you for your kind words, Mimiso. I don't see it as a sacrafice. I see it as letting two people who love each other be together. He did not love me the way he loves her, and I would like to live and love someone who does love me. What am I do with a man whose heart and mind is somewhere else? He is a great guy, and I pray for their happiness. Sometimes, we forget to give people the room to be human because we are so focused on what we want. We are not the only ones who exist. There is a difference between possession and love. In love, you want the happiness of that person. In possession, you are only thinking about yourself, and your feelings.

I don't believe that selfishness has a place in real magic. Real magic comes from the heart. It is the sparkle in the eyes, the aura that a person carries, and most importantly to serve God by serving those who in habit the universe.

Karma is true, do selfish magic, and it will come back to you. Do heartfelt and sincere magic, and it will come back to you. Intention is key! Intention is the power that ignites magic! So, intentions should be brooded over, and not acted upon instantly when it comes to magic. This is just my point of view.

hugs,
Brida

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Does anyone have experience with Chango Y Macho? Correct me if I am wrong here...He is one of the 7 African Powers and is the patron saint for orphans...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 am

Paco,

Thank you for the overview on Kardecian Spiritism. That was good information. There are also other forms of Espiritismo that do not draw upon the teachings, methods or practices of Kardec -- for instance Mexican Espiritismo, which is derived from a blend of Jewish, Catholic, Spiritualist, and Mexican Native American concepts and practices. See more information on the several varieties of Espiritismo here at the AIRR web site:

Working Within the Spiritualist Tradition
http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... _Tradition

=====

Jwmcclin,

Chango Macho (no "Y" in his name) is the male (macho) apparition of the (male) African deified 4th king of the Yoruba tribe, who is venerated in Lukumi and Santeria. The land that Chango ruled is what is now Nigeria. His symbol of office and power is a double-bladed exe.

Saint Barbara is a Catholic woman who was martyred for her faith, slain by sword, and those who killed her died when lightning struck them. She is the patron saint of those in fear of lightning strikes, and of military engineers, gunsmiths, miners, artillerymen, armourers, and metalsmiths. She is always shown dressed in white and red.

In Cuba, among slaves of Yoruban descent who were combining their native religion with Catholicism to create the synthesized religion called Santeria, Chango's colours (red and white) and attributes (lightning, edged weapons) were associated with the pre-existing European (female) Catholic Saint Barbara.

Because Barbara was female, it became necessary to identify Chango's original African form as "macho." Chango Macho is not a "patron saint" in the usual sense -- he is one of the orishas or major spiritual entities of Yoruba religion.
catherine yronwode

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:59 am

Thank you cat. I needed this information...I am studying the Saints and Chango Macho sparked an interest.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Dr Johannes
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Dr Johannes » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am

Regarding the original question about casting a spell on a muslim during Ramadan;

If he recites Al- Falaq and An-Naas during his fast your work might be weakened. They are usually regarded as stronger if recited at Ramadan than any other time of the year, so it might be good to wait until it is over.
If you go to http://www.yronwode.org/ you will see an interesting text about the Surahs use in magic and could pick one useful in love work to recite during your own work to "override" his added protection.
Forum Moderator - Author - Specialist in Swedish Trolldom - AIRR Member - HRCC G-A #0321

MaJiG_GarDen

Unread post by MaJiG_GarDen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:43 am

thank you Johannes.. i continued with the spells i already was conducting before Ramadan and others i will begin once the mercury retrograde has finished.

what u said was very informative and i will definately read into it more. ramadan is now finished so i can continue with the work :)

zee_2

Unread post by zee_2 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:32 am

This is not directly related to answering your question but a very wise woman once told me that she had applied this wisdom to her life: it does not matter much how much you love him, what matters more is how much he loves you. For women their love is their entire life, most women are more faithful than men by nature ( biology and all that) but for men their love is only a part of their lives even if they are the most faithful of all men.

I am also Muslim , from the subcontinent, and I am very disillusioned by the hypocrisy of many Muslim families. Add to that the generation gap between present day muslim boys growing up in the US and their families' centuries old cultural expectations of them, and its a communication mess between muslim boys and their non muslim girlfriends.

Do u convert or not convert? For a muslim to marry a girl of Christian or Jewish origin, no she does not have to convert, but for a muslim girl to marry anyone of any non muslim religion he has to convert. Apparently this ensures that children will be muslim as inheritance is patriarchal.

I would recommend u think long and hard if u indeed want this boy back, and if you do then u 2 need to sit down and have an honest heart to heart about the whole conversion thing. Dont assume and dont try to read his mind. sometimes we just want someone because it bugs our egos that they can just walk away from us: so ask yrself if its love or its just hurt pride at being rejected.Been there , done that :cry:

Small spell I do to come to solutions: Light a white candle (tealight is fine) every night or day( but same time each day for 7 or 9 or 11 days) and same place every day, and write your question down, be careful how you phrase it: " ie "Should I do this spell for getting XYZ back?" or " Should I get XYZ back" or " is XYZ the one for me ?" ..try to keep the 'noise' down in the rest of your life, be in solitude as much as you can, try to give charity, do energy work, be out in nature as much as you can, and avoid meeting/calling/writing to the object of your question on purpose. Try to spend at least 30 minutes in quiet or prayer but do not petition for special result.Doing this right before you sleep is good too. Any tme of the month is fine. You will see dreams,you will experience coincidences, but give the spell atleast 7-11 days to come to a conclusion

Good luck, and may things work out for the best.

Brida

Unread post by Brida » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:15 am

Asalamu alaikum Zee.

That was well said, and very much appreciated. I agree with you 100%.

JAK,
Brida

zee_2

Unread post by zee_2 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:52 am

Wa alaikum assalam Brida,

Thank you for the vote of confidence.
Have been through much in life myself and have learnt the futility of trying to bend other's will so they like you/love you...its doable but not lasting.
When one is in the throes of a breakup it is hard to understand that its better to walk away. No one telling you to do it makes sense, you need to do the trial by fire and hopefully come out stronger.

I learnt it the hard way, and without aid of magic or any kind of rootwork...sometimes the most enduring magic is the practical kind: action!!

So yes, I was rejected myself, but thanks to some excellent self help books and the love of my little girl, I literally clawed back up and decided not to have any relationships EVER again (I was 32 at the time!). I had a career, a great great daughter, and a supportive family (mom and sis). Thats more than most people might have.

Guess what: the minute i stopped worrying about men and all that relationship stuff I meet my present husband:and not to go into details but what a catch! :P

So i believe very strongly in the concept of first taking very good care of oneself: it sends the message to the universe that you are content and complete and that is a very potent attraction to content and good men...i did not do anything spectacular...just lots of self nurturing, reading good books, spending quality time with family, doing the best i could at work and striving for moments of pure happiness every single day..just stuff like that

just my two cents on what worked for me!

JAK...keep in touch
Z

Brida

Unread post by Brida » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:16 am

Zee...

I think you met your soul twin...ME!

I will private message you.

hugs,
Brida

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”