• Advertisement
Missionary-Independent.org

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:46 pm

SCarolina Hoodoo Archeology Artifacts Anthropology Documents

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com

SCarolina Hoodoo Archeology Artifacts Anthropology Documents

Unread postby gillis trinkett » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi - I live in Beaufort, SC and have been seeking information on the practice of root work/conjure in this area. I have read the book by Sheriff Mcteer - "50 Years a Low Country Witch Doctor." which greatly interested me in learning more. However, I cant seem to find many references to practices that specifically relate to South Carolina and Georgia. Are there any that anyone knows of? Many Thanks.
gillis trinkett

Re: Hoodoo in Beaufort Country, SC and Georgia

Unread postby carolina_dean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi GIllis,

I am from South Carolina and lived in Beaufort for about a year before coming to the Pacific Northwest. I can tell you from experience that people don't usually talk about the practices but if you are in the right place at the right time, you can pick up some information by way of listening and asking the right questions.

I learned a great deal when I worked at the Winn-Dixie selling lottery tickets to the ladies that come in with their dream books. There's was also a store that sold some beautiful African Artwork, Jewelry, Music, etc...as well as a small selection of Vigil Candles that was owned by a practitioner who would give advice on how to burn them. I don't believe that I can tell you the name as this forum is for explaining Lucky Mojo products, but if you ask around you may be able to find it.

You may also want to visit Daufuskie Island, the home of the Gullah people. Books you may wish to read include

Blue Roots by Roger Pinckney
God, Dr. Buzzard, and the Bolito Man by Cornelia Walker Baily.
Carolina Dean
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate # 56G
carolina_dean
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Mojomarie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Hey,

Not sure if I'll get a response but have you had any luck finding out more about Hoodoo/ Gullah magic around S.C? I live in Charleston and am also learning to learn as much as possible.

Thank you~

MM
Mojomarie

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:07 am

I learned quite a bit of conjure from a Gullah woman back in the early 1990s--she taught me good root doctoring and was actually from Georgia but had family in South Carolina. She unfortunately passed in 2005.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby MissMichaele » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:24 am

If you have access to Harry M. Hyatt's Hoodoo - Conjuration - Witchcraft - Rootwork, you will find plenty of material from South Carolina. I believe Lucky Mojo no longer has it for sale -- supplies are exhausted and there are no plans to reprint the books. But they do occasionally turn up on eBay at jaw-dropping prices, and they are DEFINITELY worth a look.

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
For a reasonably priced, honest psychic reading RIGHT NOW, call HOODOO PSYCHICS at
1-888-4-HOODOO

http://forum.luckymojo.com/hoodoopsychics-com-instant-readings-from-members-of-airr-t16224.html
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread postby calybug » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where Valerie Fennell Boles (aka Minerva from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) is buried at? Internet searches have proved confusing. They all say she was buried at Jerusalem Cemetery but they all say different counties - either Colleton or Hampton. Does anyone know which one it is? I'm traveling to Savannah this weekend and I would love to pay my respects to her since it is so close to El Dia de Los Muertos/Samhain.
calybug

• Advertisement
Association of Independent Readers & Rootworkers

Return to Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News