Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Howdy from the Ozarks!

Livia Indica

Howdy from the Ozarks!

Unread post by Livia Indica » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:29 am

Hey my new soon-to-be-friends! I found out about the new forums through the Lucky Mojo Facebook posting so, here I am! I actually got really burned out on forums some time ago but the prospect of a forum all about hoodoo has drawn me back in! A little about me: I'm 32 and have been practicing hoodoo for something like 8 years or so. I've been a neopagan for a decade or so. I work mostly within the Greco-Roman pantheons but my magic isn't Wiccan or any of the new age stuff as those type of things didn't really feel authentic to me. I wanted something that was closer to what the people of my area would/might have done and I found it in hoodoo. Anyway, glad to be here!

CopperFox
HRCC Student
Re: Howdy from the Ozarks!

Unread post by CopperFox » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:12 am

Hello, my fellow hillbilly; pleased to make your acquaintance and welcome! Perhaps you can shed some light on a question that was asked here some time ago -- what's the deal with those bottle trees one sees in the Ozarks? Are they wishing bottles or witch bottles? Do tell!

Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

Livia Indica

Unread post by Livia Indica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:53 am

You know, I'd forgotten they existed until you reminded me. I seem to remember seeing one when I was heading down to Pineville (extreme, extreme southwest MO) but that was nearly ten years ago and they were clear bottles. I asked my mom, who is the only member of her family not born in Arkansas, and she had only vague memories of seeing them with vivid blue bottles, which is the traditional color apparently, when she was very young (she's in her early fifties). I did some digging and it looks like they had pretty much disappeared from this area but are now experiencing a resurgence. They seem to have made their way to the south through the slave trade and are a protective measure to trap evil spirits in and are kind of a garden ornament. [I deleted the link to the University of Arkansas article as I just read that it's against the rules to post outside links.] It seems to me, and I could be wrong of course, that this was more of an Arkansas thing than a Missouri tradition but that could just seem that way to me. Either way, interesting stuff! I'm so glad you reminded me of this; I might add one to one of my flower beds or the veggie garden.

Nokturnel

Unread post by Nokturnel » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:08 pm

That article on the bottle trees was quite an interesting read, I've never seen one myself. Maybe I should pay attention more, I travel to Missouri occasionally (used to be quite often.)

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Livia Indica

Unread post by Livia Indica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to “2009 Public Forum Introductions”