Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Employment Opportunities / Working at Lucky Mojo?

Questions, answers, and discussions about the Lucky Mojo Curio Co.
Coastside Conjure
Forum Moderator
Employment Opportunities / Working at Lucky Mojo?

Unread post by Coastside Conjure » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:42 pm

To my understanding, you have to be a graduate of the Correspondence Course to be able to work at LM correct?
Or can a long time customer/aspiring student come work on the weekends? :mrgreen:
Coastside Conjure, HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Working at LM?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:45 pm

We are actually hiring right now. Employees who have not taken the HRC Course prior to being hired are required to enroll in the course and the apprenticeship as part of their training. Contact Robin about employment opportunities.
catherine yronwode

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Perfect timing Love Potion No9!
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Coastside Conjure
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Coastside Conjure » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:53 pm

OH MY GOSH! Thank You Cat!!!!! Im calling first thing tomorrow!!!
Coastside Conjure, HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 am

I wish I lived closer! :) Good luck LP#9!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Cupcake

Unread post by Cupcake » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:08 pm

I wish i did too. good luck LP

LotusRavyn

Unread post by LotusRavyn » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:10 am

I'm still hopeful I can Join the team. And yes I do want to practice Massage full time, but it will take a long time to build a cliental. And I will need a stable job to fall back on.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Working at Lucky Mojo?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:33 am

When we need to hire someone, we always put an ad on the SF / Northbay / Forestville area of Craigslist. We are a small company, but because there is always a certain amount of turn-over in retail jobs, we tend to hire once or twice a year.

When we post our ads on Craigslist, very few applicants come to us who have any experience working in occult shops, so we do look for people who have been our customers or who are familiar with magic shops in general or with spiritual practices. Most applicants we actually bring in for interviews have worked in retail, manufacturing, or customer service, and some have experience in crafting, sewing, hair-dressing, cooking, carpentry or other jobs that combine manual-dexterity and aesthetic taste, plus a familiarity with magic.

We just hired someone yesterday, as a matter of fact, and he will be starting work on Tuesday. He was selected from among 50 Craigslist applicants, of whom 5 made it to the actual interview stage. Of the 5 interviewees, 3 were excellent, but one stood out because of his job experience, and we hired him.

In order to help those who might be interested in working for Lucky Mojo, I will use the man we did hire as an example of the kind of person whose resume stood out from the Craigslist applicants, and whose job experience suited us:

He understands making and packing things according to formulary recipes, because he has 14 years experience as a cosmetologist, 8 years experience as a psych tech, and 5 years experience as a retail and hospital pharmacy tech. He seeks full-time work 5 days per week, is available to work at least one weekend day per week, has computer experience on both PC and Mac systems, and has worked with customer databases. He brought us a professionally typed resume detailing his great job record and good references, and his work experience suits our current need for a team member who will, after training and taking my HRC Course, be able to move into lab production of Lucky Mojo products and at the same time be able to help walk-in shop customers select products. At the interview we also learned that he is in his early 50s, is in a stable long-term relationship, lives locally, has a fully functional vehicle, has an interest in spirituality and magic, knows his own astrological sign, knows about our shop, likes the look and smell of the shop, petted our dog Sophie well and asked for her name so he could address her properly, has a customer-friendly smile, and also does gardening and loves cats.
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
Re: Working at Lucky Mojo?

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:37 pm

That is a picture-perfect kind of person that I used to love to hire at my old job...take notice everyone currently looking for a job now!
Joseph Magnuson

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Job Opportunities at the Lucky Mojo Curio Co.

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 am

April 2012: Since we are advertising on Craigslist, i figured we should post a notice here too.

Here it is:

OCCULT SHOP, CANDLE SHOP, METAPHYSICAL SHOP

West Sonoma County home-based online occult and magic shop needs an energetic and self-motivated candle-labeller, product-maker, order taker, and customer service associate.

This position is for full-time employment, 5 days (40) hours per week which would include 1 weekend day.

-------------------------------------------------------
An Unusual Field of Employment

We serve spiritual practitioners, clients, and students of magic around the world, from virtually every religious, magical, and cultural tradition, so an open mind will be rewarded by many interesting experiences. Most of our customers are African American practitioners of Southern-style hoodoo rootwork. Familiarity with this form of practice is a plus; we will train you and teach you if this tradition is new to you. We also serve local Neopagan, Buddhist, Catholic, Lukumi, Witchcraft, Palo, Hindu, Jewish, and Ceremonial Magick customers.

Potential employees must have a sincere interest in folk magic, folk art, folk lore, and herbology, and must be willing to take on all manner of assignments as flexible team players. Practical personal experience with spiritual, magical, occult, and folkloric practices and in retail sales is a plus.

We are looking for a personable, energetic friendly, mature person, with a positive attitude, a good outlook on life, excellent hand-eye coordination, and a natural aptitude for both spirituality and handicrafts. We value accuracy, neatness, and attention to detail. Maturity is a plus. Legible handwriting is a plus, as are any skills you may have in metaphysical fields such as card reading or palmistry, in customer service, and in hand-work such as sewing or cooking.

Job Duties and Training

Duties include answering the phone, and managing calls; making and packaging occult goods; part-time data entry; educating and informing customers about our products; helping customers with purchasing options and procedures; packaging products for customers; and performing small warehouse maintenance as needed.

You will be given three weeks of hands-on training in product manufacture, plus an eight-week intensive study-course in conjure, with eight homework assignments,

We will train you to use the computer to print labels for herb packets and candles from a database of pre-designed label art and to help maintain herb and candle inventory.

We will also cross-train you in simple database entry as part of order fulfillment.

Physical and Skill-Set Necessities

You must be able to sit, stand, bend, and reach with hands; able to key at a computer; able to lift and carry a 35 lb. box; and able to do some shop cleanup tasks, including dusting and sweeping on a rotating basis.

Basic proficiency in computer skills required are email, browser use, and simple text entry; computer skills on a MacIntosh are a plus.

Legible handwriting is important, as are skills or talents in metaphysical fields such as card reading or palmistry, experience in customer service, experience in shipping, and basic knowledge of hand-work such as sewing or cooking.

Extra Options for the Right Person

If you are an experienced hand reader, tarot or cartomancy card reader, graphologist, astrologer, or psychic reader, we can set you up with a steady stream of in-shop readings as a source of extra income.

If you are computer-literate with a Macintosh in your home, we also can set you up to replicate templetized web pages in simple, foolproof HTML for extra income. Anyone with basic typing or secretarial skills can do this work. No special web design skills are needed. Ability to use a digital camera and simple photo-manipulation software is a plus; you can train here and work from home on the web project, if qualified and eager.

Consider These Issues Before Applying

If you have fragrance sensitivities or allergies to herbs, you probably will not be able to work here.

If listening to old blues and country music annoys you, you may find the work environment a challenge rather than a pleasure.

If terms like "folk magic," "metaphysical," or "occultism" are unfamiliar to you, please do not apply.

There is no smoking in the shop. Drinkers and drug users should not apply.

Wages and Work Schedule

Wage negotiable, depending on experience. Starting pay increases automatically after training is completed. (Training usually takes four months.)

The shop is open to callers seven days a week. Working on one weekend day is mandatory for this job.

Fun, friendly workplace.

An application blank may be found in Microsoft Word format at:
http://www.luckymojo.com/application.doc
or -- in text format -- at:
http://www.luckymojo.com/application.txt

Please send via email a completed application, resume, and a brief letter indicating why you would like to be a part of the Lucky Mojo Team.

Please do not call the shop about this opening. We will call you to confirm that your application was received.
catherine yronwode

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Re: April 2012: Job Opportunity at Lucky Mojo

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:37 am

Man I wish I could apply! I need to move! Lol
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

nana664

Unread post by nana664 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:44 am

Oh wow, I would love that job after I retire. maybe you will be hiring again in a few years. :)
Thank you St. Anthony, for all you've done for me

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:54 am

nana664 --

I am sure you didn't mean it that way, but it sounded funny when you wrote that you would want this job "after you retire."

Just to clarify: It's a full-time job. It's not a hobby-job or a part-time-job or an after-retirement job or a volunteer job or a marginal job or a low-paid job. It's a regular job. I've had people working here for brief periods (less than 1 year) and for extended periods (anywhere from 5 to 15 years). We currently employ 12 people.

And, to comment on your other idea, that "maybe [we] will be hiring again in a few years" -- well, yes, this is retail, and retail has a higher turnover than corporate or government, so we do tend to go through yearly hiring cycles.

I have never posted job openings here at the forum before, but i will do so again.
catherine yronwode

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:02 am

I've never seriously considered moving to California...until just now.
Two-Headed Doctor

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:04 am

I think it is a great idea to post in The Forum Miss Cat!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:41 pm

If someone would like to buy Sara and I a farm with some land attached near Forestville/Guerneville I will turn in my resume in a heart-beat! :) Best of luck covering the position.
Joseph Magnuson

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Well, Joseph, if you rent and both get jobs in the area, and save up some downpayment money, then you might be able to buy a place within a few years, one would presume. Land here is not cheap, but after the real estate crash, prices are the lowest they have been in a decade. They are inching back up, though....

... And i would hire you in a heart-beat, too. You'd be ideal for the job.
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Thank you for saying that, Cat.

Yes, we thought long and hard about it, but decided that we would be much more successful if we retreated to the land of family and cheap land; Florida! :) We have been lusting after cheap plantation/farm land down there for some time. Soon it will happen. Though I will miss Forestville/Guerneville very much!
Joseph Magnuson

nana664

Unread post by nana664 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Yeah I guess it did sound funny. I meant that once I retire from this job, I will be free to relocate. I will only be 55, and don't plan on sitting around doing nothing for the rest of my life.
Thank you St. Anthony, for all you've done for me

GoodLuckNatalie

Unread post by GoodLuckNatalie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm

What an awesome opportunity. :) Legible handwriting crosses me off the list! I hope you find a great employee.
*Pisces Sun, Sag Moon, Gem Rising*
fan of show, CSL member, happy customer, hopeful future student

9 of Diamonds

Re: Job Opportunities at the Lucky Mojo Curio Co.

Unread post by 9 of Diamonds » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi!
I would absolutely love an opportunity like this. I have been trying to make my way out to California for the past couple of years and just have not had the luck (namely financial luck) to do it. I am in New York. Should there ever be an opportunity for remote assistance of any kind in the future I would love to know about it!

Best of luck,
9 of Diamonds

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:57 am

Well, it's that time again. Just about a year after my previous post about a job opening, i am back to make the same announcement again. We will be interviewing applicants in January 2013. Follow the directions above if you are interested and think you are qualified. Thanks.
catherine yronwode

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:51 pm

May all who apply be blessed with success!!!

What a great opportunity!

love love,

Tammie Lee
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

9 of Diamonds

Unread post by 9 of Diamonds » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:16 am

Hi Cat,

In an earlier post about this subject you mentioned there is a web project that you may need assistance with. Is there still a need for this and is there someone I could speak to about it?

Thank you and all the best in the new year!

9 of Diamonds

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Here is a link to the Craigslist ad for the current Lucky Mojo Curio Co. job opening, as requested by several people who telephoned the shop:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ret/3520019513.html

9 of Diamonds, We are still looking for part-time contractors for web projects. Please contact nagasiva directly via his FB page or his shop email. Let him know what programs, applications, and codng languages you are familiar with.
catherine yronwode

d1angel

Unread post by d1angel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 pm

That looks like a fun job. I almost wish I could move to California. :-)
Donna

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:36 am

We hired two new employees during the January 2013 hiring cycle.

I will add a message to this thread the next time a job opening is posted.
catherine yronwode

Acrodaous

Unread post by Acrodaous » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:36 pm

I am interested in figuring out how to apply for employment here. Are there job openings?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:48 pm

There are no job openings at the present time. I try to note them here if the jobs are not filled within a few days. Thanks for asking!
catherine yronwode

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “General Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Matters”