Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Louisiana Hoodoo Archeology Artifacts Anthropology Documents

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com
nagasiva
Site Admin
Louisiana Hoodoo Archeology Artifacts Anthropology Documents

Unread post by nagasiva » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 pm

BewitchingBelle has been unable to post to the forum here for a bit because her iPhone can't get through the security screen and i'm unable to help her to repair it (there have been many times when our own iPhone had similar problems). She wanted me to post this link she had located from 2011 about the post-Katrina excavation of the Temple of Innocent Blood (a temple whose name refers to the children of prostitutes) and about Mother Catherine Seals':

She writes to me in email:

"I had located s 2011 link with news of a recent attempt to [formally] excavate Mother Catherine Seals Temple of the Innocent Blood. I have not located any more recent updates, but thought it was exciting news. I had attempted to post the link in the Hoodoo History section. The link to the article can be found here:"

In Search of a Spiritualist, by Mark Sanders, April 2011

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orleans ... ritualist/

I went to the article and read it and it made reference to Leafy Anderson and to the book "Spiritual Churches of New Orleans", quoting from it, as well as explaining many interesting facts about Mother Catherine's life and obituary.

As it happens, lately I've been trying to find out more information about the history of New Orleans beyond what may be told to me by those who are promoting modern trends, to what the terms 'hoodoo' and 'voodoo' might have been applied during the course of the past few centuries, and so this was a keen reminder of an important spiritualist faction of that city.

Another reference to Mother Catherine is to be found in another thread (on bone throwing in a post about our late friend Hurkey): bone,-shell,-and-nut-reading-questions- ... ml#p120283
nagasiva yronwode
https://www.facebook.com/nagasiva.yronwode
forum@luckymojo.com (Forum Tech Help)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: New Orleans History - Seals, Anderson, More

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks for posting that on behalf of BewitchingBelle. She was the one who informed us of Hurkey's passing, too, by the way.

Hurkey had spent years searching for remnants from the churches of Leafy Anderson and Catherine Seals. I remember the day when he phoned me, so excited because he had found -- in a thrift store, of all places -- a plaster altar-statute of Catherine Seals that had apparently been used in veneration services at the Temple of the Innocent Blood after her death. That was in the late 1990s. Alas, the statue was destroyed, along with all of his other possessions, during Hurricane Katrina.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

magicmurphy

Unread post by magicmurphy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:28 pm

Oh, WOW! This is fascinating.

This is research I'd love to stay abreast of, for sure.

Doc Murphy
St. Paul, MN

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks again, BewitchineBelle. Oh, and in looking over the bones thread that mentioned Hurkey, i saw a post i had overlooked -- you asked permission to quote from my memories of him at a virtual New Orleans cemetery. Please feel free to do so. I really liked him; i was very sad to lose his presence in my life. He never joined the world of the internet, but i wish he had -- he had so much knowledge and was so generous in sharing it. If he had been on the net, he would have been widely recognized as the good reader, worker, and dedicated New Orleans cultural historian that he was ... and perhaps some of the fictional-historical foolishness that has been going around lately would never have gotten off the ground.
catherine yronwode

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Louisiana Hoodoo Archeology Artifacts Anthropology Documents

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Here is a good article on the preliminary archaealogical work being down on The Church of the Innocent Blood, formerly under the direction of Mother Catherine Seals, in New Orleans, Louisiana:

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orleans ... ritualist/
catherine yronwode

HicksKicks

Re: Louisiana Hoodoo Archeology Artifacts Anthropology Documents

Unread post by HicksKicks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:46 am

thank you for all the links :) it really helps me big time :)

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News”