Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Movies That Mention Hoodoo

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com
EcleckticMama

Movies That Mention Hoodoo

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:32 pm

I was talking with my husband about the meeting the devil at the crossroads rituals and he recalled this movie starring Ralph Macchio from 1986. We are hoping to track it down to watch soon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090888/

Ralph Macchio plays a young man wanting to be a blues guitarist and goes to meet an old blues artist who was a friend of Robert Johnson (purported to have gotten his talent from the devil).

May be worth a look.

Mother Mystic
Forum Moderator
Re: Crossroads (1986 Movie)

Unread post by Mother Mystic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:17 am

I believe it's available at Netflix. Ralph Macchio plays a classical guitar student from Julliard who wants to track down the last song Robert Johnson wrote. Lots of great guitar music!

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:49 am

the Crossroads movie (i have not seen it) is based on a mistake of reporting on Blues musical lore as i understand it. it was TOMMY JOHNSON (pron. "Toe-Mee Jones-Sun") who sold his soul to the Devil, not Robert Johnson. while the Karate Kid must have been fun to see in this role (Macchio was excellent in that earlier film), he appears to have put his energy into a project founded on an historical error.

cf. http://dkpresents.wordpress.com/2009/01 ... t-johnson/
http://www.tom-graves.com/id31.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190590/trivia
nagasiva yronwode
https://www.facebook.com/nagasiva.yronwode
forum@luckymojo.com (Forum Tech Help)

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 pm

Yes, I had read miss cat's page on the Crossroads magic with the correction about Robert Johnson, so I knew the misinformation.

My husband and I were able to watch it here at home last weekend. The most disturbing thing is the European Faustian contractual soul-selling overlay to the whole story with the old man (friend and band member of Robert Johnson's). So while the crossroad magic tale is there, there is also that odd anxiety and regret for entering into the contract that propels the story and provides the motivation to the old man teaching the young one about being a rural blues man.

It's an interesting coming of age tale as the young priveleged white man (Long Island, NY) is exposed to Southern African American culture (and even others) under the tutelage of the old harmonica player. Too bad the screenwriters and director couldn't have put a little more effort into getting the crossroad devil aspects right.

misterkurtis

Unread post by misterkurtis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:54 pm

I've heard that Son House also perpetuated the story of Robert Johnson selling his soul. Have you heard that?

chatocamacho

The Skeleton Key Movie

Unread post by chatocamacho » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:13 am

Hi I was just wondering if the movie accurately describes the practice of hoodoo

Literarylioness

Re: The Skeleton Key movie

Unread post by Literarylioness » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 pm

chatocamacho wrote:Hi I was just wondering if the movie accurately describes the practice of hoodoo
Cat was a non-credited consultant on that movie and the answer is "yes" and "no." There is a section in the movie where Kate Hudson's girlfriend explains the difference between Voodoo and Hoodoo, which is correct. The ending is totally off and the whole thing about "not believing" is inaccurate. I can do some fine work on a "non-believer" any day.

Mary

Mercurious

Re: The Skeleton Key Movie

Unread post by Mercurious » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:24 pm

I'd say that from what I know about Hoodoo, yeah, there were things portrayed correctly in the movie. My favorite is the red brick dust. However, just as literarylioness points out, the ending of the movie is NOT Hoodoo and is 100% bonafide Hollywood magic.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:48 pm

It is a horror movie. That's about the long and short of it.
catherine yronwode

fausto

Unread post by fausto » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:33 pm

nagasiva wrote:the Crossroads movie (i have not seen it) is based on a mistake of reporting on Blues musical lore as i understand it. it was TOMMY JOHNSON (pron. "Toe-Mee Jones-Sun") who sold his soul to the Devil, not Robert Johnson. while the Karate Kid must have been fun to see in this role (Macchio was excellent in that earlier film), he appears to have put his energy into a project founded on an historical error.

cf. http://dkpresents.wordpress.com/2009/01 ... t-johnson/
http://www.tom-graves.com/id31.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190590/trivia
The movie O Brother where art thou gets this partially correct, in that TOMMY Johnson makes an appearance and claims to have performed the ritual, however, it still refers to the man at the crossroads as the devil (described by Tommy as a white man) and perpetuates the faustian aspect.

carolina_dean
Forum Moderator
RIP "Minerva"

Unread post by carolina_dean » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:51 pm

For those of you who haven't heard. Minerva, the hoodoo woman who was portrayed in the motion picture Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has passed away. You can read the full story here http://www.savannahnow.com/node/719894

carolina dean
Carolina Dean
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate # 56G

supper
Forum Member

Re: RIP "Minerva"

Unread post by supper » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:24 pm

You will not be forgotten Minerva!!

KellyKat

Re: RIP "Minerva"

Unread post by KellyKat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Sorry to hear of her passing! That's one of my all time favorite books/movies.

LeBaptiste

Unread post by LeBaptiste » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 pm

The Crossroads movie makes no reference to Son House selling his soul. It only makes reference to the fact that he was an excellent musician, and that the young Macchio would probably never reach such a level of proficiency.

Jesterjosh

Unread post by Jesterjosh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:30 pm

As for the rituals recorded on vinyl, while references to hoodoo are replete in the blues, I don't know of any recordings such as we saw in the movie. Though, being a Yankee, I may be wrong on that count. . . *Hollywood Vampire laugh*

bluesprof

Unread post by bluesprof » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:28 am

I knew Son House and he would tell different stories at different times to different people. I think, as a product of his cultural context, he believed in conjuring and such, but I'm not sure whether Johnson (Robert that is) actually ever mentioned selling his soul to Son. I did complete some interesting research a year ago (published in the February 2008 issue of Living Blues magazine) about Ike Zimmerman, Johnson's musical mentor who did, in fact, teach him how to play the blues by practicing in a graveyard, sitting on the grave stones, but Zimmerman's daughter insists that they did so because the graveyard was a quite place to play where they knew no one (living at least lol) would bother them.

misterkurtis

Unread post by misterkurtis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:45 am

bluesprof wrote:I knew Son House and he would tell different stories at different times to different people. I think, as a product of his cultural context, he believed in conjuring and such, but I'm not sure whether Johnson (Robert that is) actually ever mentioned selling his soul to Son. I did complete some interesting research a year ago (published in the February 2008 issue of Living Blues magazine) about Ike Zimmerman, Johnson's musical mentor who did, in fact, teach him how to play the blues by practicing in a graveyard, sitting on the grave stones, but Zimmerman's daughter insists that they did so because the graveyard was a quite place to play where they knew no one (living at least lol) would bother them.
Thanks, this is interesting. I'll check out the article.

bluesprof

Unread post by bluesprof » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:21 am

yeah misterkurtis... it is interesting, and of course in the last sentence I made a typo... it should be that the graveyard was a QUIET place to practice, not QUITE!

Hawk

fausto

Eve's Bayou (spoiler alert)

Unread post by fausto » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Surprised no one has brought this one up yet. Although it is referred to as voodoo, the practices in the film (with the notable exception of the veve outside Elzora's house) seem a lot more like rootwork to me. Early on, the character Mozelle, who performs readings as a spiritual advisor, provides a client with a lodestone, which she says to "wrap in chamois, and tie with a piece of devil's shoestring" and to "keep the bag next to her skin"(been a while since I've seen the movie, so I might not have that entirely correct). Mozelle's rival, Elzora, also performs readings, albeit with cat bones, and is more freely willing to offer spells to her customers, even spells to hurt or kill (to her credit, she does offer protection to a client as an alternative to killing, but the offer is rejected). Overall, the depiction of hoodoo seems fairly accurate, although the movie does hedge its bets by providing both a supernatural and mundane explanation for the finale.

Here's a question: at the end of the film, Eve pays Elzora to off her father and provides some of his hair. Although she assumes that Elzora will make her a "voodoo doll", the witch instead makes "a wax coffin" and places the hair in the belly of a snake, which she then buries in the victim's family plot. Is the coffin like a figural candle, or does the hair go inside it ? Is this rootwork, voodoun, or something they made up?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Eve's Bayou (spoiler alert)

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Well, mini coffins, or small boxes that function as such are used in hoodoo. And burying spells in graveyards is certainly traditional hoodoo.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Roman

Unread post by Roman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Just watched that movie, and found it very enjoyable and entertaining.

As far as the historical accuracy of it, well, I personally don't expect film industry entertainment products to be factual in any way.

I particularly enjoyed the soundtrack.

M.Roman

ANGEL007

Representations of Hoodoo in the Movie The Skeleton Key

Unread post by ANGEL007 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:09 pm

If there really a "conjure of sacrifice" like the recording in The Skeleton Key? You know, movies usually get things from real life things then put a twist on them them ?

Turnsteel

Re: is there really a conjure of sacrifice album ?

Unread post by Turnsteel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:31 am

Well, there are albums that talk about hoodoo and even mention some spells, their called blues albums. Are there things like the The Conjure of Sacrifice album in that silly movie your thinking of? No.

Read about the blues in hoodoo Here

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:27 pm

What in the abyss is a conjure of sacrifice? I'm always behind on my movies.

Speaking of Hoodoo in movies, if I recall correctly in Forrest Gump there is a scene with Bubba's mama and she's wearing a mojo hand around her neck. Thought it was a niffty little addition.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:43 pm

The "conjure of sacrifice" was all made up for the horror movie "Skeleton Key." It is not based on ANYTHING real, nor were any real field recordings about conjure made during the era depicted. The first amateur field recordings of root doctors describing conjure spells were made by Harry Hyatt in 1936 - 1940. In the movie, the record dates from around 1920.

In the original screenplay, as given to me, the recording dates to the 1910s (and the party-goers were to be dressed accordingly), but as a consultant hired to touch up, edit, and suggest material for the portions of the film that dealt with hoodoo folk magic, i convinced the director that field recording equipment did not exist that early in time, so the recordings ought to be moved to the 1920s (still very early for field recordings, but technically possible).

The movie draws on elements of folk-magic but it is not about real conjure. It's a HORROR movie, that is, a fantasy.

People swapping bodies, things like that? A horror movie.
catherine yronwode

Social1978
Forum Member

Hoodoo Symbols - Skeleton Key Movie

Unread post by Social1978 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:15 am

I was watching the movie the Skeleton Key. I know that Cat worked on this movie as an advisor as she told me this when I went to her store to purchase some items a while ago.

I would just like to know about the symbols in the movie. When the old lady was drawing the circles and had a book with all these symbols, what is this stuff? Is this something that can make the spell more powerful? If so how do I get a hold of this stuff and learn it? Just wondering if it was real.

Also is it really possible to tie someone's tongue through a spell so that they can't speak?

Don't think so but anyway just wondering about the powers of HooDoo and the symbols.

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator
Re: Hoodoo Symbols - Skeleton Key Movie

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:22 am

Social1978,

It is possible to tie somone's tongue. There are several authentic hoodoo spells for this

The Skeleton Key was a Hollywood movie, not a description of authentic hoodoo.

Miss cat was a consultant to the film.

Hope this helps.
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

Social1978
Forum Member

Unread post by Social1978 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:34 am

Hi,

I know the Conjure of Sacrifice isn't real, but what about the symbols? Where do you get this information? What were all these symbols? I never seen this before. Are they real? What is all this stuff?

If it is possible to tie someone's tongue -- How?

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:49 am

I just stated a tongue can be tied. You can shut someone up. Forget the movie, (it was great I liked it too, but it was a movie)

There are many ways to shut someone up, tie their tongue, make it where they can't speak:

Lucky Mojo Stop gossip for cackling hens in an office.
A Doll Baby with the mouth sewn shut
Beef Tongue for Court Case Work

Good luck.
#1606 GA

Social1978
Forum Member

Unread post by Social1978 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for the advice. Does this physically shut them up or does it just make them not say what you don't want them too?

Also what about the symbols?

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:28 pm

I am new to this study and practice almost one year. If I do not know the answer, I will tell you I do not know the answer.

In the case of the symbols, I do not know. I will tell you this, I would not go "playing around" (and I mean this in a very kindhearted sincere way) don't go playing around and start doing things with ancient symbols you do not know or understand, any more than you should recite an ancient language without having COMPLETE understanding for what the symbols and language entails. This advice was given to me by one of the best people in the forum whom I respect greatly and now I am sharing it with you.

As far as shutting people up by tying their tongues, go through and search the recommendations and confirm for yourself the purpose of the one that fits your needs with regard to shutting up.

I am telling this to you because I want you to learn, not because I am avoiding your question. I spend hours a day every day on this site learning to have a better understanding. I ask questions too, and will continue to do so for many years to come. I hope this helps you.
#1606 GA

Social1978
Forum Member

Unread post by Social1978 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for your patience Tammie. I hopefully can get some answers about the symbols.

I find them to be very intriquing. I want to know about the symbols because if they can make my spellwork stronger they would be welcomed. I wouldn't however use them if I didn't know what I was doing or have proper instructions.

Anyway I am learning as well. Are you studying just Hoodoo or everything?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:03 pm

What symbols are you talking about?

Social1978
Forum Member

Unread post by Social1978 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:06 pm

There were symbols in the movie. One was a big circle. The book also had a ton of symbols in them. I think they are magical symbols. Just wondering where do you find these and how are they used in Hoodoo?

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:11 pm

If you are talking about the circles and sigils that the old woman had in her big ole book then they are inspired from the European roots of hoodoo and come from the grimoire tradition.

Hoodoo has ties to the old European grimoires and some conjure workers, going as far back as the early 1900s, did use various seals from grimoires like the Keys of Solomon, the 6th and 7th book of Moses and a few others. They had access to these books through mail order catalogues.

That said, please recall that this forum is specifically about the use of Lucky Mojo products and not necessarily a forum dedicated to learning the history, nor the traditional strains of folk-magic.

For your further education Miss cat has a free book online available that covers some of this history as well as the use of grimoires here: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

Lucky Mojo also makes available similar seals here:

SEA-MOS-52PP Seals Moses 6th and 7th Books of Moses, 52 Seals on Parchment Paper, with Talisman Case $7.90
SEA-SOL-44PP Seals Solomon Key of Solomon, 44 Seals on Parchment Paper, with Talisman Case $7.25
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Look into the talismanic seals, Seals of Solomon, etc. You can find those seals here: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html#seals
You can find books about using them here, such as the 6th & 7th Books of Moses, The Key of Solomon the King, : http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html#grimoires

Social1978
Forum Member

Unread post by Social1978 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I am eager to learn more about the seals and the LM products.

I can attest to the fact that I have had success with them and feel like I am opening a door to a new level a spirituality that I never new existed.

Thanks for the info Tammie. I was thinking that you were studying in her course or studying to be a practitioner. I think this would be a good way for me to help people today. Anyway I have to start with my self first. I will just make sure that I continue studying daily. I find it to be very enlightening.

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:59 pm

I am planning to very soon and am aspiring to be a practitioner. Several prerequisites to taking Miss Cat's Course. In addition, Miss Cat herself has to approve. One just can't sign up.
#1606 GA

butchcomer
HRCC Student
A must see film - Soundtrack for a Revolution

Unread post by butchcomer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 am

Everyone should see Soundtrack for a Revolution. I have never been so moved. If nothing else this film will show you how to pray your intent from the heart!

It's on Netflix for those that use that service.

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator
Re: A must see film - Soundtrack for a Revolution

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Thank you Butchcomer!
#1606 GA

carolina_dean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by carolina_dean » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Fausto,

She put the hair in the mouth of a snake, and then placed the snake's head in a wax coffin. In this case, we can assume that the snake is more like a voodoo doll for Louis and that perhaps she chose a snake as a symbol of his character. Louis' cheating ways would not escape a woman of her insight and its entirely possible that one of Louis' many lovers may have come to Elzora to get Louis to leave his wife. The symbolism of the spell is quite clear. She buries the wax coffin (with the snake head/hair) inside, in a graveyard "where all the Baptiste) are buried.

I personally have never used a wax coffin, however I've made use of mirror-boxes which have often been used in the practice of Hoodoo to send negativity in various forms back to a person who is directing it towards you. Some practitioners go a step further and bury the box in a graveyard after petitioning a willing spirit to torment the individual and keep him or her down.
Carolina Dean

Joann Lee
HRCC Student
Two Hoodoo films: To Sleep With Anger and Beloved

Unread post by Joann Lee » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:18 am

I seldom see the following films mentioned in regard to African-American spirituality, but they are relevant nonetheless:

"To Sleep with Anger"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100791/

An old hoodoo guy comes to town and stirs up trouble for everyone.

"Beloved"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120603/

The spirit of a woman's deceased daughter returns as a tangible full-grown woman, with interesting results. A lot on ancestral spirits and ghosts here. Based on the Toni Morrison novel, I believe.

When I was walking out of "To Sleep with Anger," I recall a couple of smart young African-Americans commenting, "I don't care about all that old-timey stuff" (meaning Hoodoo).
HRCC Student #1730

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
Re: Two Hoodoo films

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Thank you for posting this here. I was aware of these movies, as were most of the students of the Lucky Mojo Correspondence Course...but for the casual reader of just the forums, this was a wonderful addition! Thank you so much for sharing! Danny Glover & Oprah Winfrey always. So, so good! While not about Hoodoo in particular, The Color Purple is still one of my favorite movies...
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

DeltaMoon
Forum Member

Unread post by DeltaMoon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Thank you for confirming that the "conjure of sacrific" was fiction ... lol That recording was really freaking me out! lolol Then when my niece and nephew came back from Louisiana family reunion singing Ako..Ako, I just about fainted! lolol!

Dee
Forum Member

Unread post by Dee » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 am

I really enjoyed this movie and the hoodoo references. I wish there were more movies made like this!

angelael
Forum Member
"The United States of Hoodoo" film

Unread post by angelael » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:50 am

The United States of Hoodoo, http://hoodoo.stokedfilm.com/ , has been showing at film festivals, I guess. Thought it sounded interesting.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
Re: "The United States of Hoodoo" film

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Nick Cave is in it!? Wow. Interesting. I will, of course, save my judgement until after I see it.
Joseph Magnuson

PapaGee

Unread post by PapaGee » Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am

While it was (of course) a horror movie, and they took it where they wanted it to go to achieve the "scary movie" effect, I did appreciate all the research done. They were so many tiny elements in the film that might be easily overlooked the first time such as:

1. Violet planting Trillium and Dixie John
2. Brick dust at the door
3. The baculum mobile "windchime" ;)
4. Painting of Saint Martha just inside the front door.

Fun to watch, at least.

Papa Gee

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

potionsman--

Thank you for noticing MY contributions to the movie Skeleton Key. Everything you cited above was the result of my being hired as a consultant and working on editing the portions of the script that dealt with hoodoo. Lucky Mojo also supplied thousands of dollars of supplies for use on the sets -- including all of the coon dongs.

In addition, i was the one who suggested the use of the Solomonic symbols in the film with reference to the catalogue offerings of L. W. DeLaurence. I also suggested the use of the triple-snake-head ring, which the prop-master recreated from the images found in old DeLaurence and King Novelty catalogues which i supplied.

In the original screenplay, a cane, like a stage magician's wand had been the visual token used instead of the ring, and there were other visual indications that attempted to link the material to popular depictions of Haitian Voodoo. For instance, originally, what became the Solomonic seals were to be Voodoo veves, but once i came into the picture as a consultant on folklore and folk-magic, i supplied material that changed those visual aspects of the film., bringing them into line with the Southern United States practice of hoodoo. I was also responsible for the set decorator's use of Catholic statuary, and supplied photocopies of ethnographic studies of Lousiana Catholic hoodoo practices to demonstrate that the work would not have been in an African Traditional Religion such as Palo, Lukumi, or Vodoun, but would have been American hoodoo.

All of my visual suggestions were accepted, as was my contribution to the concept of the song material, for which i supplied several CDs documenting call-and-response singing (the screenwriter was unfamiliar with Black song styles and had written what amounted to a White hillbilly gospel piece).

I greatly enjoyed working on the screenplay and taking part in the development process -- and i only regret that the producers totally screwed me out of the promised screen credit which they had offered me. The shame is theirs for doing this, and for that reason i feel rather reluctant to speak up on my own behalf, as it might seem odd that i tell folks how much i contributed to the folk-magic aspects of the film (without violating its horror-movie premises) -- because people can always say, "Well, if you did so much, why is your name not on the film?" The answer to that is, honestly, that they violated their agreement to me. They paid me a lot of money -- but they "forgot" to credit me as the film's consultant and i am still angry about that after all of these years.

Perhaps some day i will scan a sampling of the screenplay pages with my notes and supporting visual documentation suggesting changes, and put them on line. I ought to, just to put these questions and comments to rest.
catherine yronwode

PapaGee

Re: Representations of Hoodoo in the Movie The Skeleton Key

Unread post by PapaGee » Fri May 24, 2013 10:10 am

Miss Cat,

Wonderful - I knew somebody knew their business when it came to the details! The statuary throughout the house was also something I forgot to mention.

I almost said something about the symbols they used (as you mentioned) but the word "Solomonic" was escaping me when I typed the post. LOL The row of alligator heads (we say "gator" down here in the South) in descending sizes was also a nice touch.

I have a good friend who is a screenwriter. She has many horror stories about people getting overlooked - not to mention her own name being left out of credits on more than one occasion.

Looking forward to our interview in June in anticipation of becoming one of your students. Hope you liked the big box of soap I sent out before the workshops. If I couldn't be there, I at least wanted part of me to be. :)

Papa Gee (Greg)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 am

Hello, Papa Gee --

We did receive the soaps -- which were lovely in fragrance and very well made -- and gave them out as gifts to Lucky Mojo staff members during the Hoodoo Fest this year. Thanks so much for your thoughtful kindness.
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Knowing what I have known about Cat's involvement in the making of the movie, I always sigh during the closing credits. It is a shame.
Joseph Magnuson

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Fri May 24, 2013 5:32 pm

It truly is...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

carolina_dean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by carolina_dean » Mon May 27, 2013 3:50 pm

I greatly enjoyed working on the screenplay and taking part in the development process -- and i only regret that the producers totally screwed me out of the promised screen credit which they had offered me.
Miss Cat, it may be little consolation, but the director did mention you as a consultant in the director's commentary. As I recall, it is during the scene in which Caroline visit the laundry mat hoodoo shop and he did say you donated many of the candles and things seen on screen. I only know because when I moved to a new apartment a few years ago I didn't have cable for a week and watched a lot of my DVD's.
Carolina Dean

Jfrog
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jfrog » Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 am

I watched this movie twice in a row the other night. Good movie, though I was wondering about the sacrifice thing, myself. I had never read it. Totally cool that Cat helped! Awesome!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed May 29, 2013 5:15 pm

Good call, Dean! I have watched the movie through with the commentary on as well and do recall that scene and the mention. It's been a while now, though! :) Thanks for sharing the information with us.
Joseph Magnuson

KhonsuMes
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by KhonsuMes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 am

Well, Dang.
I've never seen this movie, but will soon!

Thanks for the great info about it, everyone.

papagee
AIRR Member

Unread post by papagee » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:18 am

Been thinking about this, Miss Cat. How about a "skeleton key" lucky mojo page? If they didn't follow through, I say go ahead and write about all the elements of the movie that were included based on your consultations.

On the flip side, you could also mention the elements that are not accurate.

Just a thought, but go ahead --- toot your own horn!

PapaGee
"You can't practice witchcraft while you look down your nose at it." - Practical Magic

angelael
Forum Member
Re: "The United States of Hoodoo" film

Unread post by angelael » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:21 pm

This film is available now as an Amazon Instant Video.

patientlywaiting
Forum Member

Unread post by patientlywaiting » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 pm

I second what papagee said, I just watched this movie and it's very good!

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News”