Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

My intro, South African- Australian Topic is solved

Rootweaver

My intro, South African- Australian

Unread post by Rootweaver » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Good Day!

My forum name is Rootweaver, and I am so very happy to be a part of this Hoodoo community.

I am a 46 year old white woman who recently migrated from South Africa to Australia. My African (spiritual) experience was a hugely rewarding one as I explored African Mysticism and made many friends who are African Sorcerers and Traditional Medicine men & women. I remember the first time I visited the large 'muti markets' (herb markets) in Johannesburg with iSAangoma (shaman) friends of mine wanting to purchase their roots, herbs, and animal extracts for magic workings. I had never before seen anything like it! I totally fell in love with Root Magic from then on, and soon discovered that I have a natural aptitude towards this kind of Magic. Under the wing of a few well respected traditional herbalists I soon became more and more confident in my workings. I could never thank them enough for the opportunity...

With my Pagan background I easily slipped into Root Magic, blending indigenous herbs and other items, fusing different Magical systems; a bit of African a bit of European, a bit of Hoodoo, a lot of intuition (LOL) until I more-or-less 'settled' into what I today call Rootweaving, which is a non-traditional "hoodoo-esque," system of Root and Herbal Magic. Very eclectic. Perhaps too eclectic... People who knew me soon started asking me to present workshops in which I taught participants to source, dry, grind and magically use herbs and other items. These were fun workshops and hugely popular. I traveled to several places in South Africa presenting these to people who had an interest in Root Magic ala eclecticism. The results were very positive and extremely interesting! Regular housewives and other participants were suddenly looking at herbs and other common 'ingredients' in and around the home as items full of potential for Magic! It really was great fun, for all concerned...

However... I still yearn deeply to be trained in the REAL thing! African-American Southern-styled Hoodoo. I am painfully aware that my form of Root Magic is nothing more than a fusion and a non-purist approach, and I do not want to offend the origins of Hoodoo, ever. I want to be taught the traditional methods so that I can continue my work as a Rootworker, instead of a mere Rootweaver. I want to honor the origins of this Magic that so fascinates and enchants me! And then I want to share that with others too so that Hoodoo can be kept pure and alive even as far away as Down Under...

I am hoping that my request to be considered for enrollment in the correspondence course will be considered favorably. I have written to Miss Cat, and will hopefully know soon.

Other than this passion that I have for Root Magic, I also qualified as a Reiki Master about a decade ago, and I am a Nationally accredited (Aus) Tarot Reader. I am a wife and a mother, a sister, a friend, and a Witch.

But, mostly I am a student, always keen to improve my knowledge and to learn more.

To our collective and individual success!
Rootweaver

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: My intro, South African- Australian

Unread post by Miss Bri » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
We are here primarily to discuss Lucky Mojo products--which ones are best for you and how to use them, if you have any questions let us know!

take care,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

liquidpoetess

Unread post by liquidpoetess » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi Rootweaver and welcome to Australia. :)

dream

Unread post by dream » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:21 am

hi rootweaver, where about in johannesburg is this muti market? im from durban.

dream

Unread post by dream » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:03 am

hi im sorry for posting that question here, i know it doesnt belong here. no offense to anyone.

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “2009 Public Forum Introductions”