Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Ask here for help or report problems with the Lucky Mojo Forum.
EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:57 am

I've noticed that what seems like edits to catherine's posts show up as "new" even so much as being given the current date as the date of posting rather the original post date. If I read closely, sometimes I see a substantive addition (depending on how much time passed from my first reading) sometimes it's just a fixer-upper of typos.

Is this a forum glitch? Or are these actually getting re-posted to appear as new posts?

It was quite noticeable when I logged in for the first time today and I had 32 unread posts, but really only about 6 were new. When Miss Catherine said she was a chronic fixer-upper she wasn't kidding.

((no, it's me, nagasiva, fixing everybody's posts! I love things to look pretty and clean! -- ny))

J Simulcik

Re: New Posts That Aren't New? (Like This One)

Unread post by J Simulcik » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:17 am

I've noticed that my edits do this too, so I believe it may be the way the forum software handles it.

((exactly correct! -- ny))

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:53 am

Yes, I've been aware of this one for a bit myself. I'm trying to pin it down.

(only a temporary revision - ny)
nagasiva yronwode
https://www.facebook.com/nagasiva.yronwode
forum@luckymojo.com (Forum Tech Help)

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Yes, I've been aware of this one for a bit myself. I'm trying to pin it down.
Thanks, Art. It sure makes the "new posts" tool interesting to use right now, that's for sure.

(sorry about that -- not sure how we might fix it so edits don't affect it. -- ny)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:15 pm

That's because nagasiva went on a typo-fixing rampage last night and this morning, fixing every typo in all of my and Lara's posts. He's super nice to do this, but it threw a lot of old posts into the "new" category." Still, i am deeply thankful that he cares enough about us to make us look good in print! Big xoxoxos to nagasiva, the spelling champion!
catherine yronwode

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:38 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:That's because nagasiva went on a typo-fixing rampage last night and this morning, fixing every typo in all of my and Lara's posts. He's super nice to do this, but it threw a lot of old posts into the "new" category." Still, i am deeply thankful that he cares enough about us to make us look good in print! Big xoxoxos to nagasiva, the spelling champion!
OK, that's really cool, but if you're going to do that, I would appreciate you not do it to my posts without telling me. If an admin or moderator sees that I have made a typo, then I would appreciate either a private message giving me a heads up message that I need to make a correction or a note at the bottom of a post saying that it was edited and why (I believe this is usually a standard thing with phpBB software). Blind editing seen on my own posts is quite disturbing when the date of the post changes dramatically (the post I saw this editing on was originally posted at the end of January and now I see that it appears I posted it just Sunday evening February 22). I see this as a huge issue in potential abuse of moderation. While I can appreciate not wanting the board to look like a bunch of illiterate folks, there is a certain matter of individual voice showing through, typos and all.

(I'm just fixing catherine's and Lara's, and maybe mine; others i'm just fixing the SUBJECT lines. -- ny)

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Hrm, it should be showing that the post was edited. If it's not, I have a setting to track down and fix.
nagasiva yronwode

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:57 pm

sounds good, Art. so far it seems to make the posts come up as "new" for some reason.
nagasiva yronwode

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:05 pm

nagasiva wrote:sounds good, Art. so far it seems to make the posts come up as "new" for some reason.
Yes, I double checked the one that really threw me off when I saw the date change on my own post. There is no edit notification (unlike in my last post in this thread that I edited that does show and editing notification). I understand that administrators on some php software have an option to have that line not appear (at least that is an option on my forum). The date change is quite an odd thing though, I don't envy Art trying to track that down.

CopperFox
HRCC Student
Old posts appearing with new date

Unread post by CopperFox » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:19 am

Hello, Technical Wizards!

I've noticed over the past few days some old posts appearing as new posts, with date changes to match. Now I find my introductory post from way back in October has been dated for today, February 26th.

What gives? As long as it's not a security issue, I suppose it's no big deal...but possibly confusing to folks who follow topics on the forum.

Thanks for looking into this,

Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

Turnsteel

Re: Old posts appearing with new date

Unread post by Turnsteel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:49 am

I noticed the same thing, weird, hope they fix it soon.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:41 am

It might have to do with administrative edits - that can make read posts seem new again. Maybe it's something similar?
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Alright, folks -- almost every "new" posting that I've checked out tonight is actually months old. The LM forum has entered...the Twilight Zone!

I have faith it'll be all better in the morning,

Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Check to make sure you're still logged in... if you have become logged out then a lot of old posts show up as new. That has been happening to me on firefox.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Hello, all,

The reason that some old posts have been listed as "new" is that they have been edited. I have been going through back posts, as i do periodically, and cleaning them up. What i am doing is

1) removing defamatory posts and defamatory portions of otherwise helpful posts, and posts or portions of posts which reference the defamatory pieces already edited;

2) removing posts and portions of posts that instruct seekers to shop at another site, and posts or portions of posts which reference these posts with comments about other sites;

3) editing posts that contain materially incorrect information, which i am usually revising as little as possible, in order to keep the original author's intentions, while still correcting factual errors, such as "Lucky Mojo doesn't carry X" when in fact we do;

4) correcting typosgraphoical errors in a desultory and occasional and random manner;

5) warning users who have violated our terms of service that they risk being banned from the forum if they do not abide by the rules;

6) banning users who have been warned three times or who have committed more than three terms-of-service violations;

7) retitling threads that have completely useless names like "please help!" and "help me!"

8) moving posts to their proper sections in the forum;

9) merging topics, including spammed questions and multiply redundant saint-thanking threads, that should each be in a single topic-thread.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but it is necessary work, as i hope you understand.
catherine yronwode

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks, Miss Cat!

I suggest that those who wish to thank a deity, saint, angel, or spirit add a signature line to their posts instead of starting a new thread.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator
Old Posts Coming Up as New

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Hello all,

Due to the current name changes the forum mods have decided to go back through some of the older posts and update the names. This editing may bring up some of the older posts as new again. Some have expressed confusion over this. This is done for consistencies sake as well as to avoid confusion for those who go through older posts.

Since this forum is searchable through google such editing makes things smoother and and less messy for current and future forum members. Please bear with us as we go through this process and we thank you for your understanding and patience.

Your Friendly Neighborhood ConjureMan
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Old Posts Coming Up as New

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks for the reminder of why this is happening.

I happen to like it for another reason -- it dredges up old threads that i can bundle together with new threads on the same subject into longer unitized threads, making subjects easier to find.
catherine yronwode

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Old Posts Coming Up as New

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 pm

It also reminder us oldsters where we have been and how much we have grown.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:20 am

That is such a good idea, Mama Micki -- just like you do it!
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:12 am

Mama Micki wrote:Thanks, Miss Cat!

I suggest that those who wish to thank a deity, saint, angel, or spirit add a signature line to their posts instead of starting a new thread.

That is such a great and simple idea/solution! Amazing!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Forum Technical Help”