• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:15 am

Petition Papers and Name Papers Questions and Answers

Re: Question about language used in a spell

Unread postby Natty » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:20 am

Now I understand, thanks for all your reply!!
Natty

Re: Question about language used in a spell

Unread postby Dr Johannes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:54 am

At NDG wrote above, it is mostly a question on how to best frame and express the intent and meaning of the spell but...
I would say it depends a bit on the target as well. If the target is not familiar with the language you use in your spell, at least to some degree, it may diminish the effect.
Need Help? I am on AIRR --
www.readersandrootworkers.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK! ReadersandRootworkers
Dr Johannes
Forum Moderator

partial name paper?

Unread postby jujubean » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 am

I am working on a love spell. As I am preparing and gathering supplies, I realize that I many not have his full name for a name paper, is a partial name ok? or should I just work with his picture instead?

Blessings,
JuJu
jujubean

Re: partial name paper?

Unread postby jwmcclin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:08 am

You can use the picture as a petition and write the target's complete (birth) name on the back.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jujubean » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:19 am

That's the problem, I don't know his complete birth name. I have a first and last name only but because of his nationality he may have additional names that I am not aware of at the moment.
I was thinking of using his picture and write over it with my name as I would with a name paper and then write my intention all around circling his picture (that I would print out on parchment).
I don't have any of his personal concerns (yet) so I was also thinking of making a mojo bag for now until I can get something and then add all of it to a honey jar. But before I can do that, I need to draw him closer.
Any ideas, help are most welcomed.
jujubean

Unread postby Dr Johannes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:32 am

As a rule of thumb: Use what you have and try to get more later.
Perhaps you have his adress? Know his place of work? His internet nic? The name of his mother or father?
Anything is useful to pinpoint a target until you can get personal concerns of a more intimate nature.
Need Help? I am on AIRR --
www.readersandrootworkers.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK! ReadersandRootworkers
Dr Johannes
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jwmcclin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:27 am

The name you know is fine because you have his picture as well, so write the his name 7 times on back of picture crossed by your name 7 times and petition in a circle around your names (or in corners), you can also dress the picture with appropriate oils and/or sachet powders...
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jujubean » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:08 pm

I don't have a complete address but I do have a town and state and email address.
I will work with what I have until I can get more.
Thank you for your replies!
Blessings,
JuJu
jujubean

Brown Paper in Left Shoe

Unread postby avaliab » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with writing someones name on brown paper and putting it in the left shoe with any success? I need special favor for my cause, and I want things to move really quick. Do I write the name on the paper once or 9 times? I am planning on using commanding power (i also have the oil). The LM commanding powder smells "delicious" (yes I know not to ingest it...but it smells like candy). I have heard that after you prepare the name paper, you slam your foot down and command them to do what you wish.

As I often wear clogs, can I tape it to the bottom of my foot or wear it inside of my socks and still have it be effective? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Avli
avaliab

Re: Brown Paper in Left Shoe

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 pm

This spell is worked in a few different ways. Some people simple write that person's name nine times and place it in their shoe.

Other's dress that paper with some commanding dressing powder.

Usually, I find it best to write the name paper out, dress it with the powders then light a dressed purple candle with the same oil on the paper and let it burn down. Afterward it is placed in the shoe.

When you want someone to agree with you, tap your shoe on their name to exert subtle pressure on them.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

How to make Petition Papers

Unread postby tnish » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Hello to the forum!

I tried doing a search for this but it told me my terms were too common. I was wondering if the nine times of signing your name doesnt exactly cover every inch or all of the desire/prayer/wish/request but is still pretty close to the middle and covering it, does it lessen the power any?

Thanks to all and have a great weekend.
tnish

Re: How to make Petition Papers

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Power does not arise from making everything neaty. There are many dozens of ways to write out petition papers, not always with the name nine times, either. Some people have bad handwriting, some are very tidy and will compose the paper over and over until it is perfect. These are issues of personal style as well of matters of focus, intentionality, and giftedness. The central idea of praying, using herb-based oils or powders, or herbs themselves in the papers also apply -- if you are following the tradition, do the best you can to assemble what you reuire, dedicate it for the purpose you intend, dress the paper and use it well, but "don't sweat the small stuff."
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Name/Identifying Information Issue

Unread postby MissMeYet » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Ordinarily one would work with the full name, however what is the procedure in regards to people who have changed their name?

In my specific situation I am casting a love spell and was born with one name (say "Jane Ann Smith" - not actually it, but you get the picture), met the target of my spell whilst using this name, however soon after meeting them decided to change my name (say "Jayne Ellie-Andrea Lee" - same deal, not actually it, just an example). By changed my name, I mean I am in the process of having it legally changed, but there are hold-ups on the name change as it is currently being legally challenged by my family who do not want this to happen. So legally my name is still "Jane Ann Smith", but I personally go by the other name "Jayne Ellie-Andrea Lee" (this is the name the target is used to calling me). I feel close to both names (the first out of habit, and the other out of the fact I chose it to reflect who I am now).

So in regards to writing petitions, what way should I go about it? I've got the following ideas, but am not sure.

- 1) I know in a lot of traditions it is the birth name/birthdate that are most important. So this would imply I use my birth name. This is the way I conducted all work prior to the name issue, so I am comfortable with it.

or

- 2) The new name because it reflects who I am now.

or

- 3) I use both names (as in "Jayne Ellie-Andrea Lee born Jane Anne Smith") in the petition to cover all bases. But this feels a bit weird, maybe just because I've never done this before.
MissMeYet

Re: Name/Identifying Information Issue

Unread postby NotDorianGray » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 pm

I would use the name you go by now. He knows you by this name and calls you by this name, that name reflects the persaon that you are and want to be when you are around him. You obviously identify with it more strongly, too.
NotDorianGray

Name Paper

Unread postby hesting0404 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi all,

I hope I post this question in the right place.

I have trouble figure out the right way to write name paper. Suppose I was doing money spell, I would write my name nine times, then CROSS them with my petition, for example, "Money stays with me" So, after I wrote my names nine times, I suppose to rotate the paper to the RIGHT (clockwise) or to the LEFT (counter clockwise)...? Is there anything to do about the type of work I am doing?, like good work turn right, manipulative work turn left...?

From the Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic of Miss Cat, page 106 and 176, there are examples of how to write the petition paper and in order to get the same style as these two examples, I need to turn the paper the the LEFT or counter clockwise.

From Dr. E website...about cut and clear spell, write your name 7 times..."turn the paper 1/4 turn clockwise and cross the block of your names with "I love and heal myself"..." This is what I did all the time...I also found this style in other websites too. then I just realized today that it is opposite to the book and believe there's something to do with the type of work we're doing.

Please help!

Thank you very much
hesting0404

Re: Name Paper

Unread postby jwmcclin » Mon May 24, 2010 8:03 pm

Writing petitions have been discussed several times...read some of them here
writing-a-petition-t2312s1440.html
petition-writing-t2472.html
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby kimberlyanne » Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Here is another one....

petition-paper-t4938s330.html
Kimberly Annie

“How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone”...Coco Chanel
kimberlyanne

Unread postby hesting0404 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Thank you very much. I understand now :-)

Another question. Anoint 4 corners ...is there any order I need to follow?

1------------------2

---------3---------

4------------------5

I saw somewhere that we supposed to dab oil at 3 first, then go 1 5 2 4
The previous posts said dab oil in the four corners first but didn't state the order and lastly dab at 3

Thank you
hesting0404

Unread postby kimberlyanne » Tue May 25, 2010 6:15 am

I was taught 4 corners then the middle. If I follow your numbers from your post it'd be 2-5-4-1-3.

However....I am still young in my conjure and still learning as I go. I tend to work clockwise in most everything I do. It could very well be that in reversing work, or the likes thereof, I should work counterclockwise. I just haven't gotten there yet... :oops:

I'm hoping some other forum members will chime in and educate both of us... :mrgreen:
Kimberly Annie

“How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone”...Coco Chanel
kimberlyanne

Unread postby jwmcclin » Tue May 25, 2010 7:10 am

I naturally follow the four corners starting left to right than middle.
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Turnsteel » Tue May 25, 2010 7:22 am

Going by the numbers you posted hesting0404 I go 1-5-2-4-3, for what its worth.
God bless you Dr Jose Gregorio Hernandez.
Thank you Saint Expedite
Turnsteel

Unread postby hesting0404 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:09 am

Thank you very much for every answer. I now pretty sure that the middle part is the last to be dabbed!
hesting0404

name paper

Unread postby barat » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:10 pm

I am starting a spell and I am told to put my name-paper on the plate.Can somebody tell me what name-paper is? Is that the paper where I will write my name and petition?
Thank you.This forum has been really a great help for people like me.
barat

Re: name paper

Unread postby jwmcclin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:15 pm

This has been discussed in the forum (found here) petition-paper-t4938s330.html
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Re: name paper

Unread postby barat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:34 pm

thank you jwmcclin for your help.
barat

Name Papers

Unread postby rs09 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:42 pm

I was wondering if someone could clarify the significance of name papers. Some spells ask that the name papers/petitions be placed under a saucer or candle while other spells ask that the name paper/petition be burned. What are the consequences of each request?
rs09

Re: Name Papers

Unread postby Devi Spring » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:52 pm

What do you mean "What are the consequences"? Name paper and petition papers are where you write down what your goal is (petition paper) - which often includes names written over other names or goals to symbolically represent power/influence over those forces (name paper). Different workers may dispose of the paper differently depending on how they were taught, or what kind of work they did.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rs09 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:09 pm

I guess I want to know if there is difference between burning a paper at the beginning of a spell and placing it under the candle through out the spell. Is it just a matter of preference or are different methods used to obtain different results?
rs09

Unread postby thelightfantastic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm

It doesn't make much sense to burn the petition paper at the beginning of the spell as the petition has your stated intent and you don't want to dispose it at the beginning. If and when the paper is burned, it is typically done after the spell is complete as part of the disposal process.

http://www.luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html
High praise to Saint Michael for his protection and guidance
thelightfantastic

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Why would you want to burn then name paper at the beginning of the spell? To me that just does not make sense, and then you would not effectively be communicating your goal to the universe. Placing it under the candle throughout the spell allows the name paper to be worked, and it helps communicate the goal of the candle. Its like burning a map before you get to your destination.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rs09 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:08 am

starsinthesky7 wrote:Why would you want to burn then name paper at the beginning of the spell? To me that just does not make sense, and then you would not effectively be communicating your goal to the universe. Placing it under the candle throughout the spell allows the name paper to be worked, and it helps communicate the goal of the candle. Its like burning a map before you get to your destination.

That is exactly why I ask. I have been doing some reading (mainly online )just for knowledge sake and have noticed that some spells go something like this...Prepare candle, write petition/name paper. Light candle and incense. Burn name paper in flame. Allow candle to burn down and dispose of remains.

I was confused as to why some would say this and others would perfer the name paper under the candle or saucer.

I am going to order Ms. Cat's book to obtain a better understanding of the spell nuances.
rs09

Unread postby flows+n » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

rs09 wrote:That is exactly why I ask. I have been doing some reading (mainly online )just for knowledge sake and have noticed that some spells go something like this...Prepare candle, write petition/name paper. Light candle and incense. Burn name paper in flame. Allow candle to burn down and dispose of remains.

I was confused as to why some would say this and others would perfer the name paper under the candle or saucer.

I am going to order Ms. Cat's book to obtain a better understanding of the spell nuances.

Are these hoodoo sites? In other traditions, petitions and name papers can be burned to use the ashes or for the intent to be carried by the smoke, and it is used as a part of the spell instead of merely a disposal method. In hoodoo, I've only seen burning the name paper as an actual part of the spell in negative/destructive work, to light a fire under someone, etc.

Name papers serve as witness samples and/or as a statement of intent. Whether you'd want to burn the paper during the spell depends on the nature of the work you're doing and the purpose of burning the paper.
flows+n

Re: Pure Parchment Paper

Unread postby Miss_Liz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Out of curiosity, how important is using parchment and is there a "not pure" parchment? I have several packs of parchment that come in different colors from a craft store but sometimes in a pinch (or when I just can not find the packs) I just use unlined paper or computer paper, is that ok?
Miss_Liz

Re: Pure Parchment Paper

Unread postby cognitivedissonance » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 am

"Pure" parchment is thinly sliced skin membranes of sheep, calves, etc. It is at present very difficult to get outside of specialty bookbinding services. Because I actually work with it in my paintings, I have had to purchase it, and it's ON AVERAGE about $90 a folio sized sheet. It's not paper (it is usually mottled with the skin patterns of the animal... goat parchment, for instance, is down about $20 a sheet because goat skin is often black and white and pink at once). White calf parchment, however, can be up to $250 a sheet, because it's that hard to get. It IS possible to get "remainders", left over bits and pieces from the bookbinding process. At least one parchment firm also has a "sample" book available with small pieces of various grades of parchment for professional review.

Parchment Paper, meanwhile, can be purchased at any Staple's or office supply store, and LM will give you a sheet of it for free if you ask with your order. It's simply heavy paper that is made to look aged, and is typically unbleached. You can also use brown paper bag paper, which works just as well. My current mojo's name paper is just a paper bag square (torn not cut), and it works splendidly.

The only magical use that MANDATES real parchment is hardcore Goetic and Kabbalist work, which really should be left to professionals since it's ludicrously dangerous if not done correctly. Otherwise, parchment paper is the way to go.
cognitivedissonance

Petition paper for mojo bag

Unread postby kevhlub » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 pm

I am doing a petition paper for the triple strength mojo bag.

1. The intruction reads, "a piece of white paper that has never been used". Since that the mojo bag is small, can I cut a piece of copy white paper into 1/4 size to use it?

2. "fold the paper around the Lodestone and the item that represents you, folding it toward you...turning it, and folding it toward you again..." Does this mean to put the items in the middle of the paper and fold it to make a packet? But when it is folded this way, the items will slip out the side. Can I fold it corner to corner to make a triangle packet? When turning it, which direction to turn it? To the other side, clockwise, or counterclockwise?

3. When writing my wish and name, etc. on the petition paper, where do I write it on? On the side where the items will be place on and inside the packet? Or on the outside? Do I write it across the middle, diagonally, top, or bottom?

4. Signing name using full name. I have a given name which is not documented and people of my native language call me by my given name. English speakers will call my name by the English phonetic name which is the documented name (name on my driver's license and IDs). When I talk to people of my native language, I will tell them my given name in my language. When I talk to people who are not my native language, I will tell them my English phonetic name. So which name should I use to sign my petition paper?
kevhlub

Re: Petition paper for mojo bag

Unread postby cognitivedissonance » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Whatever paper you use, make sure it's torn, not cut with scissors. You can use any paper you like, but if it specifies "white", use whatever white paper you like.

Use what you consider to be your "true" name, i.e. the one your mother gave you, or the one you were baptised with.

As for the folding, remember that you're dabbing the paper with oil, so once the oil is dried in the paper, the paper is going to stay in that position (kinda like paper mache). It's a weird thing but it's true. Plus, it's in a bag, so it's unlikely to fall out anyway.
cognitivedissonance

Re: Petition paper for mojo bag

Unread postby Devi Spring » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Cutting with scissors -vs- tearing is very variable from practitioner to practitioner. There's no hard and fast rule about that, though some spells ask for one specific method, in which case use the one specified. Generally speaking, I always just cut my petition papers with scissors, and everything works just fine.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Name Papers

Unread postby Bone Doll » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:52 am

I know now that it's common practice when doing name papers to turn clockwise for attracting and counter-clockwise for banishing, but I'm pretty sure I did it wrong with an earlier name paper. Is that enough to mess with my intent?
Bone Doll

Unread postby Devi Spring » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 am

Not unless you start putting a bunch of doubt into it now.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

How many times do you write out a name for a love spell?

Unread postby ShadowyEmbrace » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:56 am

Simple question how many?
ShadowyEmbrace

Re: How many times do you write out a name for a love spell?

Unread postby Turnsteel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:58 am

There is no generic answer, it varies, depending on the worker and the situation. When in doubt three is a good number.
God bless you Dr Jose Gregorio Hernandez.
Thank you Saint Expedite
Turnsteel

Unread postby ShadowyEmbrace » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:02 am

Yes well I'm doing a honey jar today I'm doing a variation of the name paper that was suggested by a rootworker online but she didn't say how many times for a love honey jar
ShadowyEmbrace

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:49 am

Perhaps you should contact that rootworker since she gave you a specific recommendation.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Coming to us because you consulted a random, unnamed rootworker online and asking us to define for you what she did not define is pointless.

There many ways to write out a petition paper. Names may be written once, three times, seven times, nine times or even "as many times as it takes to fill both sides of the paper completely."

What you need to learn is why one writes out names in various formats, the relationship of the format of name-writing to the specific spell tradition or desire, and how to apply these several principles to your own practice.

If you would like to learn how to practice hoodoo from authentic sources, you may apply to take my course -- there are two chapters on writing petitions in the 52-chapter course. Read more about the course here:

http://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby ShadowyEmbrace » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:05 pm

I just ended up doing three times and stuck to the way she told me to do it I'm pretty sure she said three anyway or seven it was up to me I was just trying to get clarification.
ShadowyEmbrace

Names on Petitions: full name / birth date / zodiac Sign

Unread postby LUCKY7 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:25 am

Hi just wanted to know if any of you guys had any idea about the importance of names in magic rituals.In the spells and tricks here,mostly the first name of the target is used,or maybe the full name,that is ,first name and surname,but in eastern magic rituals the targets first name and his or her mothers name is absolutely necessary for any success . Can anyone shed some light onto this,as to what is the significance of this ,and what might be the difference in the working of the rituals . :?
LUCKY7

Re: significance of names

Unread postby Mama Micki » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:30 am

I use first or full name, birthdate, and zodiac sign symbol.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Elveta » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:51 pm

cleopatra wrote:I use first or full name, birthdate, and zodiac sign symbol.

Me too. I figure that I can use all of the help I can get.
Elveta

Unread postby Miss_Liz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:10 pm

How exactly do you incorporate the birthdate? I've been just writing it on our pictures
Miss_Liz

Unread postby JCPA72 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:57 pm

I use full name and birthdate, in terms of incorporating names, depending on what I am working on, I can carve it on the candles, or write it in my petition or on the pictures, it really depends on the type of work.
My most gracious and humble thanks to La Caridad Del Cobre, for all of your blessings and guidance in my life.
St. Martha, St. Michael, La Virgen de La Regla my most humble thanks for all that you do on my behalf!
JCPA72

Circular Petition vs Wrote out normally

Unread postby ShadowyEmbrace » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:59 pm

I've been told by several people on here its best to write out the petition in a circle around the names that are crisscrossed.

When I spoke to the rootworker/reader at the start of all this she said that the circle way got popular when ppl started communicating on the internet about Hoodoo.

She told me not to worry about it b/c I don't write in cursive and printing in a circle is exstreamly hard without going back over the letters with the pen. She told me she had never done that and that the older workers she learned from never taught her that way.

Does anyone have any opinions on what the best way is?

If writing it out in print, is it that important not to trace back over the letters?

I'd think since Hoodoo goes back to the slave days they didn't write in cursive.

I don't know I just want some opinions.
ShadowyEmbrace

Re: Circular Petition vs Wrote out normally

Unread postby j82 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 pm

the directions you are asking are to a LM spell kit and I think cat sites this in her book also on honey jars that the petition can be written over and over like lovemelovemlove in a circle and the names cross the center of it.

Personally if thats what Cat said and that what she does then thats how im going to do it especially if its a spell kit she designed.

As for cursive its not that it needs to be some elaborate cursive or even in proper cursive letters rather that the words are written over and over, and the pen is never lifted off the paper. It will look messy and thats ok dont fret it, i suggest practicing a few times to get it down its harder then it sounds lol.
j82

Unread postby ShadowyEmbrace » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Well for the reconciliation bottle spell I was wondering how it should be done.

a person last night told me they'd write it in a circle.

the directions say to just write it out.

I know a lot of ppl here have commented saying they do the circle thing but a lot do other stuff, so I was concerned b/c I'm doing the bottle today at dawn.
ShadowyEmbrace

Unread postby j82 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:41 pm

ok you over think things wayyyy toooo muuucchhh.

the reconciliation bottle spell is not the same as the honey jar.

the person probably thought you were talking about the honey jar, and that's the way they do a honey jar.

you are correct either way. just follow the directions as stated with the kit, hence why there are directions with the kit.
j82

Unread postby ShadowyEmbrace » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Are the names always crisscrossed so your will dominates theirs?

It simply says their name is crossed over the petition with your name on top of theirs to dominate etc that means I crisscross the names right?

Or do I just write their name then my name directly on top without crossing them?
ShadowyEmbrace

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:51 pm

There are dozens of traditional ways to write out a petition paper.

one single name

two single names, side by side (usually cut apart after preparation)

two single names, back to back (usually cut apart after preparation)

two single names criss-crossed, enclosed in a circle of words

two single names criss-crossed, enclosed in a square of words

three single names forming an equilateral triangle

three single names forming an equilateral triangle, enclosed in a circle of words

three single names forming an equilateral triangle, enclosed in a square of words

one name repeated line after line

one name repeated line after line, covered by a command

one name repeated line after line, criss-crossed by a command

two names repeated line after line in two columns (usually cut apart after preparation)

two names repeated line after line, one name covering over the top of the other

two names repeated line after line, one name over the top of the other in reversed direction

two names repeated line after line, one name criss-crossed over the top of the othe

two names repeated line after line criss-crossed, enclosed in a circle of words

two names repeated line after line criss-crossed, enclosed in a square of words

Et cetera.

This is not something that can be quickly explained in a forum. Basically, there are symbolical reasons as well as the weight of traditional behind these ways of writing, You can study a number of different ways of writing petition papers in my book, "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic," where they are illustrated. The theory behind these variations, with examples of how to use them in different situations is covered in depth, and gets an entire chapter, in my "Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course."

Also, this post should not have been in the section "Ask for Help with Your Situation." Writing out a petition paper is not a situation, in the sense that a love affair, a divorce, a job change, or getting a mortgage refinanced is a situation. :-) I will move it to the proper section.

Good luck.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Name paper question- how many times?

Unread postby missyd915 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi All
I was wondering how many times to write a name/command on a paper. I had read somewhere its either 3, 7 or 9 times. What is the difference between these i.e. is one for drawing, another for commanding or jinxing etc. In most of my spells i have tended to write the name/command 9 times. Any input woul be much appreiciated!
Thanks
missyd915

Re: Name paper question- how many times?

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Trying to make up or pass along rules about numbers is completely bogus. The guess you made that the variations in number possibly being due to variations in intention (drawing, commanding, or jinxing) are unfounded in fact.

A name paper is a certain type of petition paper, and i have seen such papers written out by African American conjure practitioners from 1961 to the present and their instructions have included writing the name any number from "once" to "fill the entire paper with his name written over and over on both sides." Each spell is different, intentions vary from spell to spell, and each person will tell you what they know to the best of their family's knowledge or according to the particular spell you are asking about.

I suggest that if you have no family traditions in conjure, you may wish to study with someone who does, or who can pass the tradition along to you, instead of you trying to pick it up piecemeal from an internet forum. I teach a one-year course in hoodoo and it does cover name papers. There also at least four different traditional variations of how to write a name paper shown in the illustrations to my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" which costs only $14.95.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Cat,

Are 3, 7, 9, and 13 associated with certain kinds of work? I learned that 3 was the minimum number you should work a spell. 7 is more associated with drawing work and positive works. 9 is the magical number and a powerful number which is good for commanding, and crossing types of works, 13 is great for crossing, and more even drawing, success work more powerful. I guess what is the significance of these numbers in hoodoo is what i would like clarification on. Thanks.
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Nah, all that number stuff is totally specific to whoever tells you whatever they tell you.

Look in HHRM, see the "Faithful to a Trust" payback spell name paper -- one time each way for the names -- and that is how i was taught it about 30 years ago. It is an authentic spell, a real spell, not some cheap-ass joke of a spell. And the name is written TWICE.

This whole rule-making thing about odd numbers has sprung up in the last two years -- no longer! Just two years!

The rule-making fantasy purports to tell newbies to conjure some inflexible rule about the number of ingredients in a mojo, number of times a name is written on a paper, number of oils on a candle, et cetera.

If we went by thissuper-special odd-number theory in everything, then we'd expect Psalms 3, 7, and 9 to be the really important ones -- but they are not!

And if the super-special odd-number hooey applied to lucky numbers in traditional African American numbers play then we'd expect 3, 7, and 9 to be super hot numbers -- but they're not. Most old-timers will tell you that the lucky gig is 4-11-44. Everyone knows that!

See, this is all some kind of recent meme that some folks are spreading around the internet and it literally has no connection with the history of African American folk magic. Sure, lots of baths have three ingredients in them and so do lots of old-time mojo hands, and some people do prefer odd numbers -- but many old-time traditional workers not only don't prefer odd numbers -- they don't even count the ingredients at all!

And now -- this year -- all over the internet people are starting to ask me to endorse this thing they've been taught somewhere, which is to assign invariable and inflexible MEANINGS to the use of these odd numbers -- one odd number to signify drawing work, another odd number to signify jinxing work, and a third odd number for God knows what-all.

I will not endorse it.

Sure, numbers have meanings. Three reminds of us of the Trinity. Nine is a lucky number in Africa and seven is lucky in Europe. Thirteen is edgy and unlucky but can be turned on its head and made lucky. But notice -- the only polarity there is LUCKY <--> UNLUCKY. But there's nothing about a special number of times you have to write a name for crossing or a different number of time you have to write a name for getting love.

About fifteen years ago I was down in a conjure shop in Oakland and i watched as the owner of the shop, Bishop Whyte, told a man to write his name "21 times." He didn't question her. He did it. She took the paper to use in a job-getting spell for him. Does this mean that 21 is going to become the new special "job-getting" number now that i mentioned it? NO. It means that Bishop Whyte wanted him to focus on writing his name 21 times. Okay?

Now, guess what? The writing tablet she handed to him was a memo pad that had lined paper. There was room for -- 21 lines.

If she'd have given him a smaller piece of unlined paper -- and i saw her do this too, with other customers -- she might have said, "Write your name three times" or if it was a larger price of paper, she might have said "Write your name seven times."
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

PreviousNext

• Advertisement
Herb-Magic.com

Return to Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics