Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Spirituality and Psychology

MissNewConjure
Spirituality and Psychology

Unread post by MissNewConjure » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Hello everyone! So I have become interested in the metaphysical arts in the past year and especially hoodoo in the past 10 months. From my experience, the effort you put into your work really will manifest in the world around you (sometimes in ways unexpected). This has evoked an enormous amount of interest in my own spirituality and the idea of energy transference. It has also helped me to become aware of my emotions, because as we know it takes not just the intent but the actual emotional exertion that will determine the success of our work.

Well, I am currently in a masters program to become a mental health counselor. I have been completely fascinated and passionate about the field of psychology nearly my whole life. With my newer intrigue in spirituality and magical work, my views of psychology and its role in healing and emotion has transformed. This is effecting me so much that I am really considering dedicating my career to the correspondance of both therapy and spirituality-- kind of a dual approach. I'm not too sure about how I would actual design my practice around this idea and incorporating both avenues together and I know I would need to gain mastery in both areas to actually make a profession out of this (luckily both practices really stress experience, self-awareness, and continual change and transformation).

I posted here because I would really love some insight on what all of you think about this idea (I know the use of spirituality intergraded into a therapeutic model has also been introduced into psychology) and if anyone knows the current practices regarding this approach. I know this community is completely diverse in our experiences and expertise so I figured this is one of the best places to come to for some great advice.

Thanks in advance!
Never doubt yourself, believe in what you do, and always have faith!
Thank you St. Martha!

MoonBreath
Re: Spirituality and Psychology

Unread post by MoonBreath » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Hello :) I understand your interest. I used to be a psych major ... until the dept head made it perfectly clear that there was no room for spirit in psychology. Humans were just pieces of meat walking around until we die. Seers and Saints who were given visions or heard the voice of God were clearly schizophrenic etc... I knew he was wrong, of course and felt that if that was what psychology was about, I didn't want any part of it.

However, that was in the mid- 1980s. Things have changed since then. There is a nice article written by R. Hefti in 2011 called Integrating Religion and Spirituality into Mental Health Care. I found it on mdpi.com. It talks about the benefits of religion for the mentally ill. It also mentions several programs being used right now. Hope that helps. Good luck in your studies!

clarissacain8

Unread post by clarissacain8 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Spirituality and Psychology is really a very interesting topic. I don't know much about it as a subject. But in my experience , I think spirituality is related to God and our inner soul. what you say ? Am I right ?

MissNewConjure

Unread post by MissNewConjure » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:59 pm

thank you moonbreath for the reference! and clarissa, I do think spirituality has to do with the inner soul but not necessarily God. I think Psychology and spirituality can be used in conjunction as soul cleansing and self-awareness. I'm thinking therapy mixed with different methods of spirituality.. baths, meditation, candles, etc.
Never doubt yourself, believe in what you do, and always have faith!
Thank you St. Martha!

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “2012 Public Forum Introductions”