• Advertisement
Herb-Magic.com

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Hoodoo and Nancy Drew

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com

Hoodoo and Nancy Drew

Unread postby LaMarquise » Mon May 09, 2011 10:37 am

I started playing Her Interactive's Nancy Dree games when I was about ten, and have never kicked the habit. In their 2007 game, Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull, set in New Orleans, Her Interactive includrd a few references to hoodoo.

Some aspects were fictionalized (namely one character's use of "hoodoo signs"), and others a little toned-down (hoodoo powders consisting of Sneezing Powder, Itching powder, etc.) But other aspects of the game touched on it rather well. They somewhat explained the practice of carrying mojo bags, the importance of herbal remedies (Nancy has the option of drinking one early on), and the importance of roots in hoodoo practice. In the garden, I noticed replaying it years later, there's actually a small bed planted intentionally with dandelions.

Of course, in the end it's painted as a silly superstition, but I have to say it was the first thing that piqued my interest. The Nancy Drew games have a large number of young Christian players who raised a stink over the inclusion of "occult practices" in the game anyway. What I found really amusing upon replaying it last year, however, was a reference NO ONE seemed to catch to another aspect of New Orleans life; vodou. One of the characters of the game is a member of a Mardi Gras Krewe that begins its meetings with the shaking of a decorated maraca while dressed as a skeleton in a moth-eaten suit and top hat.
I thank Saints Michael, Dymphna, Cecilia, Joseph, Benedict, Mary, and Muerte for their aid.
LaMarquise

Re: Hoodoo and Nancy Drew

Unread postby Miss Bri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:12 am

Thanks for sharing. The "itching powders" and "sneezing powders" you mention also bring back to mind the eternally present intersection between root doctors and medical doctors as well as herbal magic and herbal medicine. Medicated powders have been (and still are) used in the South and elsewhere to treat a variety of maladies.
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Hoodoo and Nancy Drew

Unread postby jalink » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:50 am

I started playing Her Interactive's Nancy Drew games when I was about ten, and have never kicked the habit. In their 2007 game, Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull, set in New Orleans, Her Interactive includrd a few references to hoodoo.

Some aspects were fictionalized (namely one character's use of "hoodoo signs"), and others a little toned-down (hoodoo powders consisting of Sneezing Powder, Itching powder, etc.) But other aspects of the game touched on it rather well. They somewhat explained the practice of carrying mojo bags, the importance of herbal remedies (Nancy has the option of drinking one early on), and the importance of roots in hoodoo practice. In the garden, I noticed replaying it years later, there's actually a small bed planted intentionally with dandelions.

Of course, in the end it's painted as a silly superstition, but I have to say it was the first thing that piqued my interest. The Nancy Drew games have a large number of young Christian players who raised a stink over the inclusion of "occult practices" in the game anyway. What I found really amusing upon replaying it last year, however, was a reference NO ONE seemed to catch to another aspect of New Orleans life; vodou. One of the characters of the game is a member of a Mardi Gras Krewe that begins its meetings with the shaking of a decorated maraca while dressed as a skeleton in a moth-eaten suit and top hat.
jalink

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Hmmm...as I merged these two topics together it made me wonder...do jalink and LaMarquise know each other? ...and if so, do they work for the company that produces the Nancy Drew games! ;)
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby LaMarquise » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 am

Lol, nope. I work at a movie theatre...and if I know jalink in real life, I'm unaware!
I thank Saints Michael, Dymphna, Cecilia, Joseph, Benedict, Mary, and Muerte for their aid.
LaMarquise

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Problem: Identical post from two different members.

Marquise posts from IP address 68.12.94.128 and has 25 posts, plus a sigline.

Jalink posts from IP address 120.39.46.4 and has 1 post only, the copy of Marquise's post.

Investigation: When i took a random, unique snippet of the text ("large number of young Christian players who raised a stink") to google for a match, only this forum thread came up, hence Marquise did not copy anyone else, but Jalink copied Marquise.

(I used to read Nancy Drew books when i was young, too. I learned how to be a sleuth from them.)

Conclusion: Jalink copied Marquise's post verbatim, a violation of Forum Terms of Service.

Motive: Possibly Jalink made the duplicate post to see if spam-bots were being moderated or policed.

Result: Jalink is now banned by username, email address, and IP address. Marquise remains a member in good standing of the Forum. Joseph Magnuson gets a Great Big Hug for Sharp Eyes and Diligent Thread-Merging.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News