Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

"Straight Lick with a Crooked Stick"

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com
owlsfoot
HRCC Graduate

"Straight Lick with a Crooked Stick"

Unread post by owlsfoot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Just an interesting tidbit of historical interest I came across the other day that I thought I would share: In searching for the origins of the phrase "to hit a straight lick with a crooked stick" (used by Hurston, et al.), I came across this early reference, by one Rev. Edward Corbet, England, 1642:

"Do not contemne thy weak brother. God can raise his thoughts, or direct his follie to a happie end, he can make him an Instrument of glorie, who is now a subject of weaknesse, and can strike a streight stroake with a crooked stick."

There are a couple of other mid- to late 17th Century variants of the phrase I found as well, all by English clergymen. The phrase may be a loose adaptation of a Biblical verse, a general Biblical reference, or an older bit of Anglo folklore--it may not be possible to trace out the precise origins. But apparently the phrase was brought to the States by English settlers, and was at some point adopted by African-American (and other) communities in the South, where it has enjoyed good use.

Ah, the fascinating twists and turns of folkloric history.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: "Straight Lick with a Crooked Stick"

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:44 pm

I have not known this to be an especially Black phrase -- i have heard it from White folks in the South.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

owlsfoot
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by owlsfoot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:09 pm

Cat: That's interesting. To this point I have personally only heard (or seen) Black folks use it. That must simply be circumstantial, then.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:08 am

This is a saying that many in my family use and we are white. Well, technically we are a big old mess of different races, ethnicities, and cultures but on our census forms most of us are going to check the "caucasian" box :-)
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Adde3
Newly Registered

Unread post by Adde3 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:45 pm

It is a phrase that originated in the black community during slavery but in some areas it made it's way into the general dialect of the south. I remember hearing old people say someone has a straight lick with a crooked stick usually when someone does something extraordinary.
Fiat Lux

Lucky-Mojo-Hoodoo-Rootwork-Hour-Radio-Show.com

Return to “Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News”