Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Disposal of Ritual Remains Questions and Answers

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: Disposal of Ritual Remains Questions and Answers

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:41 am

Okami175,

You are thinking about this in a narrow manner.

First off, of all the tricks that can be laid down in traditional Hoodoo, only a relatively small number actually call for burial. As Hail Discordia / Turnsteel said, Hoodoo developed in the American rural South and some elements like disposing of bathwater in your yard or at a crossroads are just a part of it. If you are committed to working this kind of magic then you should be committed to following through with the work that you are doing.

However, Hoodoo also has a healthy history of being practiced and incorporated in cities and urban areas. I live in San Francisco and I practice for myself and clients and have done so successfully ever since living here. Some of the largest hoodoo supply houses have been located in urban areas and some very influential practitioners have come from those same areas as well.

If you can't bury something at your enemies doorstep then you sprinkle powders down, you blend them with dirt to disguise their presence on the concrete if you want to be sneaky. You dress doorknobs, you send dressed letters, money, or checks. You work honey jars and hot foot jars.

Truly there are many roads to getting your way. Stop worrying about what can't work and focus on what can.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:56 am

Okami175,

Try getting out of the city once in a while. If you need to bury remains away from your home, take a short drive or bus trip to a more suburban or rural area. For positive work, you can bury it in a potted plant in your apartment if you can't find a place outside where you won't be watched.

There are little towns all over the US with historic cemeteries that are not closely watched. However, you do not have to visit a graveyard at all. Just find a different spell to accomplish your goal.

Don't give up. Sure, Hoodoo originated in the rural southern US, but most of us live in suburbs and cities now, and we adapt to our circumstances, just like our predecessors did.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Okami175

Unread post by Okami175 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:18 pm

Cleopatra & Bri --- Hmmmm. Perhaps if you have access to someone's car , which I do from time to time . . .

Thanks, you two, I just had me an idea.

I do have 'em from time to time. :D

Brida

Unread post by Brida » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi!

Okay, I live in the city, and it is really hard to find a place to go before sunrise to throw a bucket of water over my left shoulder. I am not sure I can even lift a full bucket of water high enough to toss over my left shoulder. Also, is a crossroad is an intersection. If I throw it at an intersection, it might get someone wet, and that is not nice.

Please advise.

hugs,
Brida
"You can't fish on dry land." - My Momma.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:46 pm

Doesn't have to be a full-size bucket. A cup will do, as a symbolic gesture.

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 pm

Brida,

I am in a city too and I have done it. You just take a bit of the water, not a full bucket and go out before dawn. No one thinks anything of it, especially at 5 am. If I can do this in San Francisco, I am sure you can do it in your city.

Mary

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Yea, I've taken a half-water bottle full of water and tossed it at an intersection in the middle of downtown Toronto. It should be doable wherever you are. :)
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Brida

Unread post by Brida » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Thank you all for the clear up.

I will do what needs to be done!

hugs,
Brida
"You can't fish on dry land." - My Momma.

Chagrinedgirl

Unread post by Chagrinedgirl » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Actually since the tins are aluminum (at least on the ones I buy) I do toss them in the recycle.
So be it
-Jason Bourne

I'd rather walk in the right direction than ride with my head up my...

Astrophel

Unread post by Astrophel » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:56 pm

I have the same problem here in San Francisco, but I've just took my chances with parks and been fine. I'd just suggest one thing, which is if you haven't TRIED going to the park, do so. Are you certain you'd be stopped by someone in a uniform during the day? Are you certain you'll get mugged at night? I've buried things in the day while acting like this is completely normal and nobody even looked at me. There's supposed to be gang activity in a lot of the places I go at night, but the worst I've ever encountered is people smoking pot or having sex in the bushes. New York City might be different, but at least give it a chance rather than letting fear consume you.

As for dumping things off in the middle of Times Square - why not? I'm sure you know, living in a big city, that nobody gives a SHIT what you do unless you're having a knife fight on the bus or something. I speak from the experience of having done things of that nature in the heart of downtown while the homeless watched. Just move in quickly, act like whatever you're doing is completely normal, ignore everyone else and go.

One more thing:

Guys, I know you get frustrated with people coming in from other traditions and asking stupid questions about hoodoo, but is it really appropriate to respond to someone who is showing some level of respect and understanding with a dismissive "deal with it"?

Any time a practice moves to a new cultural context, of course issues of logistics will arise and those need to be dealt with constructively rather than haughtily brushed off. At least okami is bothering to learn authentic hoodoo rather than just figuring it's okay to dispose of the spell remains wherever.

I asked the same question myself to the Lucky Mojo staff in person because I was wondering if parks/sidewalks were good enough.

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:22 am

Down a stormwater drain at a crossroad intersection. Easy enough to do, it's underground, the water will take it away and cleanse it. Say a prayer under your breath as you do so if you wish. Hoodoo can be adapted to your circumstances if you're open minded and look for solutions. If you can't bury, can you burn it? Can you throw it in a river with a prayer? As with any magical tradition, you need to make it work for you.

Astrophel

Unread post by Astrophel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm

NotDorianGray,

I think that's a great idea, but you have to be careful what you throw down drains...make sure it's biodegradable and non-toxic. Be aware that many drains feed into larger water sources and throwing trash down them carelessly can pollute. Most of the ones here end in the Bay, for example - even far out into the suburbs.

detached

Unread post by detached » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:32 pm

ok so the rest of the water that u don't throw, u jus let it go dwn the drain?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:33 pm

detached --

Yes.

gingerly88

Unread post by gingerly88 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:27 pm

If giving an offering of food, should it not be consumed after? Or is it always disposed of another way. For example, if the poundcake is left for St. Expedite for a bit & then eaten, is that wrong? I have never worked with saints before...

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:31 pm

I don't eat food I have given up as an offering. I see that as selfish and taking back your gift. It is much better to pass it on.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:28 pm

NotDorianGray,

While it is acceptable to many to distribute food and liquid offerings to animals and plants in nature, there are plenty of spiritual traditions where you are pretty much expected to eat the offerings afterwards. For one thing, in many places, food simply cannot be wasted -- and so it is eaten after it is offered. In Eastern traditions, especially in Hinduism, in exchange for the offering, the deity is said to bestow a special blessing upon the food, and so it is eaten afterwards to take a portion of the grace and influence of that deity into yourself.

Malefic

Unread post by Malefic » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:50 pm

If I burned the candle in the tin, I dispose of the tin with the rest of the spell remains. (Yes, it's not especially biodegradable but neither are the lodestones, bottle spells, synthetic wrapping-fabrics, paraffin remnants and other such things we use in conjure. I don't think the concept of trash being 'harmful' to the earth was really a part of the mindset around these spells when they were developed.)

If I took the candle out of the tin before burning it, I just put the tin in the trash unless I have some other use for it. (Sometimes the tins are good for other things like holding small offerings, keeping your incense plate off the tabletop, etc.)

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:58 am

Actually, I just discovered that the wax residue will pop out of the tin, so the tin can be recycled.

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:54 am

On the "Love Me" page, the instructions state to:
"Pour the water over your head 9 times as you say the 23rd Psalm and name what you want. Air-dry yourself and collect a basin of the used bath water, which now has your essence in it. Dress in fresh, clean clothes, carry the basin of bath-water to a crossroads and throw the water toward the sunrise in the East. Walk back home and don't look back"
But I've read that used bathwater/remnants from "positive" spells and baths should be sprinkled and buried in your home/garden respectively to draw the positive influences to your home.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance for your help! :D

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:15 am

On the Lucky Mojo website, here http://www.luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html sit tates, "If you want to disperse it to a distance, throw it into a crossroads" .... in the case of the love spell, I would disperse it at crossroads leading to your house from your lovers home if possible. Just my thoughts.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:56 am

Thanks for responding, jwmcclin, but I'm still quite confused. Why would I want to leave something that I want at a crossroads to disperse?

For reference, I'm doing the Love Me bath to work on my self-confidence and attractiveness- which do you think would best suit my situation?

Thank you very much :D

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:37 am

LM provides the traditional method of disposal with baths.

The idea with crossroads disposal is to send out a connection to the other person, who is presumed to be at a distance. The crossroads connects you to that person, wherever he or she is in the world.

When I do a love bath, I disperse or deploy it in my front yard to the east...but the one i love is close.

However, you have chosen to use the Love Me spell kit in an unconventional way, to increase your own general attractiveness, so since you have no need to connect to anyone, you may use your own yard for the disposal, and it will be fine.

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:02 am

jwmcclin

I think I'll go with your idea.. Thank you very much for your help! :D

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:25 am

hiighpriestess,

I think that your orginal question here stems from a misunderstanding about the role of the crossroads in Hoodoo. A crossroads is not simply used to disperse and get rid of things, it is an intersection, and as such it has a number of meanings, including providing a pathway between your hoped-for lover and yourself.

You are using Love Me products, but your spell intention is not fully the same as the way most people use those products. Therefore you can go to the secondary level of meaning: They key to the love me bath is that you are disposing the water towards the EAST so as the sun rises, the strength of the love spell rises along with it, and love will enter your life.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:40 am

Thank you very much for your clarification, Bri!

But since my Love Me bath is not being used in a romantic sense, as jwmcclin advised, I will bury it in my garden towards the east as the sun rises, since the spell is for me alone (for banishing insecurities and boost self-confidence)?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you again! :D

maduro01

Unread post by maduro01 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 am

Hello everyone,

What is a good way to dispose of candles and flowers and/or food (offered to a Saint)? Can I just trash them after the work is completed, or is there a way to go about it?
Thank You Saint Martha for all that you've done and continue to do for me!!!!

thelightfantastic

Unread post by thelightfantastic » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but any leftover food items should be fed to the birds or other wildlife. You can put flowers in a compost pile or something of that nature. The idea is to reuse the items offered instead of simply throwing them out which would be wasteful and disrespectful. As for the candles, I would dispose of them at a crossroads.
High praise to Saint Michael for his protection and guidance

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:10 pm

I usually bury the remains in my yard if it is for something that I am requesting.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:24 pm

Dani2

Unread post by Dani2 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks for the link - I read all of it and can't find what to do with the remains of a glass-enclosed Intranquility candle. The candle burned clear with no wax left but the metal (for the wick) and some of the herbs it was prepared with are at the bottom. Am I supposed to shake those out and dispose of that, or does the entire thing (glass) has to go? Can anyone who has done the IS kit/candle share how they disposed of it? Thanks :)

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:18 am

Dispose of the glass in the trash, and bury the name paper at your front porch, or in a potted plant near the front porch.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:35 am

Please recycle the glass if possible.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:38 pm

If you plan to continue the spell at another time, you can also reuse the

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:51 pm

For the glass jars encasing saints candles or other benevolent candles, you can use them as vases to hold offertory flowers.

Azna21

Unread post by Azna21 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:53 pm

Greetings:
I've read the LM website on how to properly discard of the remains of a 7-day vigil candle and petition based on the intention of the spell, but I remain uncertain on how to properly dispose of the remains and petition of my boss fix candle ... I'm thinking (could be wrong) I shouldn't throw it out at the crossroads or in moving water b/c I don't want to be separated from him/my job, or either to go away just yet - I just want to be treated w/more respect, and him to stop blaming others (including me) when he makes mistakes/screws things up.

If this topic was already discussed, I apologize, but I really did spend time trying to research this topic before posting yet another boss fix question.

Love & Light,
Azna21

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:58 pm

Crossroads would work. I wouldn't use the river if you do not want one or the other of you to be carried away.
HRCC Student #1559

Azna21

Unread post by Azna21 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks HaliDiscordia!

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:23 am

You could always bury it somewhere that you visit regularly, where you can literally 'walk all over' your boss.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 am

How about burying it at your workplace?

Azna21

Unread post by Azna21 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks NotDorianGray & Cleopatra ... suggestion to bury the spell remains are great too ... just gotta figure out how to do so on the down low. =)

jewel

Unread post by jewel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:57 pm

When you are done with a spell you are supposed to keep the remains in the front yard to keep it close But what if the front door you dont use at all? There is a small yard with a main road. Everyone uses the back door behind the house as as the main entrance. So where do I put the remains? Back or front-

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:20 pm

If it's good, bury it where you'll walk over it. If it has negative energy, crossroads.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:10 am

This has been an extremely helpful thread! Thank you all!

I love that the best questions always seem to start with, "This might sound dumb, but..." :)

Any more advice for various offerings?
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:18 am

For one of the deities I work with, I have crafted a specific incense just to burn as an offering for her. I think it makes your offering both more personal and more spiritual if you craft it yourself. For example, you could bake a cake for St Expedite instead of buying one. Grow your own flowers. Collect rainwater instead of offering stuff from the tap. In the end, though, most spirits will accept whatever you are able to offer them. Some may have traditional or favourite offerings, but nothing will be turned down.

katedsimmons

Unread post by katedsimmons » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:42 pm

Just wondering how every one disposes of there candle Jars, what I mean is the 7 day candles in glass containers.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:04 pm

We went over this already, but some people recycle them as in taking them to a recycling plant while others reuse them by putting in pull out candles.

katedsimmons

Unread post by katedsimmons » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:48 am

I'm sorry I did not see that it was already posted. I will look better next time. Thank you so much for the info. I just wanted to make sure that nothing I was doing was wrong.
Blessings

Paradox
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Paradox » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:48 pm

It was a perfectly valid question - don't feel you were in the wrong.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Oh I didnt mean it in a mean way. Just was saying. Sorry if I came off offensively.

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:45 pm

its a good questions asked often because many people see it as a magical tool. I keep em around a while to see the changes in candles incase I think a bad burned occured I can reference. I also put floweres in them as they make really nices vaces,and help set the magical mood.... then when they get too used I recycle
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

justaskingtoknow

Unread post by justaskingtoknow » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:45 pm

I know you're supposed to throw them at crossroads, but i live with my parents and i think it would be strange if i just walked out of the house at 3 in the morning lol! So i was wondering if I could wait to throw the leftover remains in the morning?
thanks

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:17 pm

The time is the most ideal time. The important part is that you properly dispose of things the way they are suppose to be disposed of. So if you have to do it in the morning, then do so. Just make sure that you do everything properly. OR you can find another appropriate means of disposal.
http://www.luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:58 am

When leaving offerings for saints (specifically St. Expedite), are there any other manners in which I could dispose of them? Wildlife isn't exactly abundant where I live- perhaps I could possibly leave it at a crossroads?

And when making an offering, would it be best to do it at home, or could I make it at a crossroads as well?
If I do it at home, how many days should I leave the offerings there for until I may remove it?
Would it also be fine to re-use a glass tumbler that I used to offer water in?

I apologise for my ignorance and if I offended anyone in any way- this is my first time petitioning a saint.

Thank you very much!
Annabelle

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:06 am

You can re-use the glas tumbler, but I'd suggest having one set aside especially for whichever saint/deity you are working with.

Another way you can make your offering to St Expedite is to actually take his pound cake to a Catholic church and leave it there for him. If you have a chat to the people who take care of the church, they'll let you know if they're happy for you to do that. You can also make offerings to the saints at any Catholic church, especially in the form of votive candles and flowers.

It is best to make your offering at home on your altar if that's where you have been petitioning the saints. You can, however, dispose of the offering at a crossroads as you see fit, although burying it on your property is a better option. It was a genuine, positive, heartfelt offering to a benevolent saint, therefore it's betterto keep those good vibes around you if you can.

shyguy

Unread post by shyguy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Tomorrow is my last day of the 13 herb, and I was thinking do I have to throw the leftover white candlewax at the crossroads like I did with the water and herbs the last 12 days? Or should I bury the white candle wax in my backyard near my home etc.?

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:16 am

You shouldn't bury it because of the accumulation of negative energy in the candles. Instead, bury at a crossroads or otherwise dispose of them away from your home.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:41 pm

You don't have to leave the house at 3 am. The old rootworkers say "soon in the morning" - just as the horizon is beginning to grow light. More like 6 am or 6:30. These days, many of us who still have jobs have to be up at that time for the commute, anyhow.

Michaele (say "My-KELL") Maurer
HRCC Graduate #0361 - Forum Moderator
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

thegoldman

Unread post by thegoldman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello everyone!
This is my first post and I hope it's in the proper section.... :)

This is my last semester at college, and I'm living in a new dorm on campus. Been doing love work on my beau who lives two states away (my home state).

Should I bury the spell remains outside my dorm (even though I don't consider it home and am leaving in month)? Maybe throw it in the crossroads here in town or wait until I get home in a few weeks to dispose of the spell remains?

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mary Bee » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Hello!

Since you've done the work there at your dorm and that was your "home", I suggest you bury the candle remnants outside the back door of the door to cement the work there. Burying something in the backyard keeps something (or someone) close to you when doing love work.

Good luck,
waterborn
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”