Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:16 am

In this thread we shall address basic candle magic techniques, including how to trim, carve, load, petition, pray, dress, and light magical candles.

To start the dialogue, i will provide a reply to the all-time most-asked question: "How do i dress a candle with oil -- top to bottom or bottom to top?"

The question is one that many root doctors have answered -- in several ways. Each way derives from a method that is based on its own logical and symbolical reasoning, and each way has its own set of devoted practitioners. And, to make things more complicated, the several ways are each quite distinct and different.

As a teacher, i feel it is my job to tell people the tradition -- that is, to teach ALL of the ways that fall within the history of conjure.

If you come from a family that practices hoodoo, and in which you have been taught to dress candles one way, then your family's way will be found among the set of methods i teach and i will not be put into the unhappy position of contradicting your grandmother.

If hoodoo is new to you and you have never heard of dressing a candle with conjure oils before, then you can try the various traditional methods i tell you and select the one you prefer -- and start a tradition in your own family.

In this forum professional rootwoctors are here to answer questions from seekers, and to share knowledge with one another.

For me, the best way to kick off a discussion of the many ways to prepare candles is to refer back to the first time these methods appeared in print. Books on hoodoo date back to the 1930s and 1940s, so let's take a look.

In 1931 the African-American folklorist and novelist Zora Neale Hurston published a series of candle spells that she had collected in New Orleans in the late 1920s. They appeared in an academic journal with limited distribution, and each spell was told in the form of a short narrative story. Hurston reprinted a few selections from this material in a 1935 book called "Mules and Men." At some point in the 1940s, compilations of the majority of the candle spells that had previously only been available in the "Journal of American Folk-Lore," including their narrative format, were reprinted as "Black and White Magic of Marie Laveau" -- and over the years, new editions and new authors brought in additional candle spells and other magical information as well. In 2019, i prepared a composite of all the extant variant editions in one collection and published it as --

Genuine Black and White Magic of Marie Laveau, ed. by cat yronwode

Hoodoo's first grimoire and spell-book, originally edited by Zora Neale Hurston, holds a historical place that no other conjure book can claim, for it provides the modern practitioner with guidance and training in authentic New Orleans rootwork, as it was in 1928. Although the author was certainly not Marie Laveau, the more than 50 rites and rituals in this volume present the classic hoodoo spells of the Crescent City, using herbs, roots, candles, incense, powders, baths, and mojo hands to get your way in matters of luck, love, friendship, family, money, jobs, protection, jinx-breaking, court cases, and cursing. Restored, Revised, and Edited by Catherine Yronwode from the original writings of Zora Neale Hurston, Anne Fleitman, Larry B. Wright, Dorothy Spencer, Cyril Arthur Pearson, Helen Pitkin Schertz, The Allan Company, Franz Hartmann, Abe Plough, and the mysterious "H. F."

BOO-GRI-BAWM
Genuine Black and White Magic of Marie Laveau ed. by cat yronwode
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

For more information, see:
http://www.luckymojo.com/genuineblackan ... aveau.html

A hugely influential book on candle and herb magic in hoodoo is the 1936 "Legends of Incense, Herb, an Oil Magic" by Louis de Claremont. De Claremont recommended burning each candle in a triangle and energetically "magnetizing" each candle with an appropriate oil by stroking halfway up on one side and halfway down on the other.

Legends of Incense, Herb, and Oil Magic by Lewis de Claremont, ed. catherine yronwode

"Legends of Incense, Herb, and Oil Magic: Esoteric Students' Handbook of Legendary Formulas and Facts" by Lewis de Claremont, ed. catherine yronwode. From 1936, when it burst on the scene, until 2006, when it went out of print, Legends of Incense, Herb, and Oil Magic was an occult shop classic. The first non-academic book that taught African American hoodoo folk magic, it was advertised in Black-owned newspapers nationwide and became many a rural rootworker's introduction to the convenience of mail-order spiritual supplies. <p>The author, whose name was certainly not "Lewis de Claremont," took the secret of his identity to the grave, but the formulas he introduced and his descriptions of down-home tricks with herbs, candles, incense, powders, baths, and talismans are recognized as the foundation of modern hoodoo. <p>On the 80th anniversary of its original publication, the Lucky Mojo Curio Company is proud to present a restored and revised edition of this important text, edited by catherine yronwode. Filled with curious lore and useful tips, this beautifully illustrated book belongs in every conjure worker's library.

BOO-GRI-LIHO
Legends of Incense, Herb, and Oil Magic by Lewis de Claremont, ed. catherine yronwode
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

http://www.luckymojo.com/legendsofincen ... magic.html

You can read more about Louis / Lewis de Clairmont / de Claremont at this web page.

http://luckymojo.com/young.html

Then there are the methods of candle usage described by Mikail Strabo in the 1942 book "The Guiding Light to Power and Success." He had an entirely different way of working with candles and conjure oils, and his techniques are extremely popular today as well.

The Guiding Light to Power and Success by Mikhail Strabo, edited by Catherine Yronwode

This ground-breaking work was originally sold via ads in Black-owned newspapers, and it opened up a nation-wide conversation on the increasing importance of conjure work with candles. The author was a participant-observer and documentarian who respectfully verified the sources of his information from workers in the African-American Spiritual Church Movement, to compile a complete manual of home and church altar candle services for use in churches and by home practitioners. This famous hoodoo grimoire contains more than 50 candle and lamp spells for protection, love, wealth, and luck. Now, with 32 additional illustrated pages by editor catherine yronwode, The Guiding Light is back in print, bigger and better than ever. Chapters include: How to Set Up a Candle Altar, One-Candle Rites with Psalms, Seven-Candle Planetary Rites, Eight-Candle Sacred Octaves, Nine-Candle Catholic Novenas, Ten Ancient Oil Lamp Devotions, Twelve-Candle Zodiacal Rituals, How to Use Seals with Candles, and Candle-Magic Around the World. An inspirational occult classic, it remains a popular source-book to this day.

BOO-GRI-GUID
The Guiding Light to Power and Success by Mikhail Strabo, edited by Catherine Yronwode
$9.00

https://www.luckymojo.com/guidinglightt ... ccess.html

You can read more about Mikhail Strabo at this web page.

http://luckymojo.com/strabo.html

Another early book on candle and oil magic is "The Master Book of Candle Burning," a 1942 publication by Henri Gamache. We sell it in the shop. You can read a bit about Mr. Gamache here as well:

http://luckymojo.com/young.html

Then there is "The Magic Candle" by Charmaine Dey," which first came out in the early 1970s. It is also popular, and it spins its own take on the work of dressing a candle with a conjure oil, through the lens of Neo-Pagan Wicca. We sell it in the shop as well.

And finally, there is my own book. "The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic:

The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic by catherine yronwode and Mikhail Strabo

"The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic: Conjure and Spiritual Church Services in Rootwork" by catherine yronwode and Mikhail Strabo is a complete guide to candle magic, one of the foundational practices within African American hoodoo folk-magic. Spell-casters of every level of experience within the community know the value and efficacy of setting lights, This book is actually three books in one filled with history, teachings, traditions, and instructions on how to become a candle magic practitioner, how to provide candle ministry services to clients, and how to conduct public candle-light services.

BOO-GRI-AHCM
The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic by catherine yronwode and Mikhail Strabo
$9.00

http://www.luckymojo.com/theartofhoodoocandlemagic.html

So, to answer your question, some say up, some say down, some say from the middle outwards. Some -- like me -- vary the directionality of the ritual oil dressing depending on the type of work to be done.

In addition to the usual "draw the oil upward to bring in blessings," "draw the oil downward to remove unwanted conditions," and "magnetize the candle from the middle, by rubbing oil up on one side and down on the other," there are quite a few ways to dress a candle with oil that are specific to certain candle forms or usages.

For instance:

A healing image candle is generally dressed with oil on the afflicted area of the body only.

When dressing a penis candle or a vulva candle with oil, most people handle it and rub it with oil exactly as they would if it were the living member of the one upon whom they are working their spell.

I would dress a single free-standing black break-up candle with Break Up Oil from the middle outwards toward both ends, creating a "split."

But if i were dressing two image candles placed back to back on an altar, where they were going to be "walked" apart as they burn, i would put the Break Up Oil only on their backs. On the front of the "returning lover" candle i would put Return To Me oil, and on the front of the "bad outside lover" candle i would put Hot Foot Oil to cause that person to get away. In this case i would also have a red image candle for the "good lover in the home" and that would be dressed front and back with a combination of Return to Me Oil and Love Me Oil.

It's a complex subject, you see, and there is no one "right" answer. It's like baking a cake -- there are a lot of good recipes out there!

And now, let the questions begin!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

lmlvr

Re: Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

Unread post by lmlvr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:12 am

Hello, all, Here are my questions:

1) How may drops of oil should I use to dress a candle?

2) Is it okay to combine several different types of love oil in one candle? (such as, combination of love me + stay with me + bewitching + marriage etc....? and even adding Road opener to it...?

3) Is "I Dominate My Man Oil" supposed to be anointed to the man,and not on yourself, and is it okay to put on a candle?

Lukianos
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lukianos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 am

lmlvr,

1) Dressing a free-standing candle takes only enough oil do create a slick and shiny surface. Dressing a 7-day candle requires only a few drops of oil applied to the top surface of the wax--most folks will make one or more small holes in the wax with an awl or similar tool to provide a recessed space for the oil drops.

2) You most certainly can use a combination of oils appropriate to the work of the candle, but do be sure that each candle's work is well-defined and focused. For the example you list, I would probably burn the road-opening candle as a second candle in support of the first candle dressed with love/stay/marriage/bewitching, since the 'cleansing/clearing' action of road opener is so different from the 'attraction/stick-together' action of the other 4.

3) "I Dominate My Man" may be deployed in a number of ways. You can use it to anoint things/areas he is likely to either walk over, or come into physical contact with, including yourself--in all cases, however, you will name your target(s) and your intent as you apply the oil. You can, of course, also use it to dress candles or petition papers for magical works.

Hope this helps!
Peace be with you,
Lukianos

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Hello, lmlvr --

Adding oil to a vigil light:

As Lukianos said, an awl can be used to poke holes in the wax, as can a screw driver, a nail, or a stick. It has been my practice to use a special tool dedicated to this task, and to keep it at my candle-dressing station or stored in a small tool kit in a drawer or box beneath my altar. This tool is also useful for straightening up wicks, carving "runlets" in free-standing candles to keep them from drowning, and fishing out pieces of wooden matches that have fallen into the deep wells of tall candles. I have used the same antique screw driver to work with my altar lights for 43 years now. --cat

Blending oils:

Blending twwo or more dressing oils to dress candles or as a personal perfume is so popular and so common that it has its own Forum thread aAND its own web page at my free online book "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice:

Lucky Mojo 4 oz. Rootworker's Special Oils: Suggested Blends:
lucky-mojo-4-oz-rootworker-s-special-oi ... t8466.html

Popular Oil Blends, How to Blend Oils, and how to Order Custom Oil Blends as Rootworkers and Churches Specials at "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice":
http://luckymojo.com/oilblends.html

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

MissMarisa

Unread post by MissMarisa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:59 am

Speaking of candle dressing tools:

I have some old aluminum knitting needles that I use for this (and only this!). I poke the hole all the way down to the bottom of the jar and add the oil with a plastic pipette; that way there's always oil in the candle, and it really doesn't take that much oil, surprisingly enough. Is that overkill, maybe? :?:

sephirah
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by sephirah » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 am

Cat, I am so glad you mentioned tools.

There is this proverbial temptation to "assist" a candle to burn like you want it to and I struggle to keep hands off. I've had candles drown after being so close to dripping. I just read it as a sign.

Do you carve "runlets" (love that word) routinely before lighting knowing they have this potential to puddle or afterwards when it needs help?

What would be considered tampering?

Would you straighten a wick while it was burning?

What is an acceptable "assist"?

Just short of tying my hands behind my back,

Marion Wethington (G) #727
HRCC Graduate #0727

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:14 am

sephirah,

I watch and observe. I do not pre-carve runlets.

If i am deeply committed to a candle spell and a free-standing candle is in danger of drowning, i may abandon the natural inclination to use the candle in an accessory rite of ceromancy (wax divination). In such a case, i carve the runlet to save having to do the spell over again -- but i acknowledge to myself that my intervention was intentional and that in this case the ceromantical result cannot be a cleanly divinatory burn.

With a glass-encased candle there is little that can be done, beyond "grooming" the wick by trimming "knobs" or "knots" and straightening up the wick so that it desn't touch the glass and crack the candle open. Of course, once i do major surgery on a vigil light, i cannot use the candle for divination in the normal way.
catherine yronwode

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 pm

sephirah,

Some free standing candles need assistance, or they will just puddle. I just finished three penis candles and they are natural "puddlers." It is the way they are shaped. I put the runlets in slightly as they are nearly burnt out and do not carve them in before burning.

If I want to know the "outcome" of a spell, I use an adjacent 7 day candle with it. I use the 7 day candle to tell me what is going on with my spell. The glass will give me the information I need. I am not too good at figuring out melted wax.

Mary
HRCC Graduate Apprentice #0721GA

Astariell

Unread post by Astariell » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 am

Hello and thank you for a wonderful site, Catherine!

I appreciate everyone's time in answering questions! What wonderful insight!

It is true about no one "right" answer....I guess that is why some of us have our own recipe books ie Book of Shadows and Grimoire....
I found your ideas for dressing the break up candles wonderful and I would not have thought of these ideas since I thought that there was a "right" way and a "wrong" way...How logical and amazing!You opened up the "door" to my imagination....

I ordered some kits, herbs, powders, incense, etc last week so I look forward to using your suggestions.

I am reading just about every page on your site for the last 2 months. I am new to hoodoo although I have studied basic magick for a while now. Thanks for this Forum since I practice alone and have no one to talk to with concerning any issues.It can be very difficult when working alone. I do read a lot but being able to share is very precious when I need to keep everything very secret.

My next question concerns the general anointing of a candle for Break up work.

Would the direction of anointing be from the top of candle to the bottom? Or would it be more upward direction to draw towards targets?

Thank you for helping on this topic.

Blessed Be
Astariell

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Astariell --

That's a great question. The answer depends on the kind of candle or candles i am using. Here are some samples:

Anointing a Break Up candle with Break Up Oil or Separation Oil:

Break Up with two figural candles back-back to be moved apart, also known as a moving candle break up spell: I would dress only their backs of the figures with Break Up Oil and then i would walk them apart as they burn.

Black Break Up vigil light: I would dress the entire top with Break Up oil and make a name paper with their names not touching, run a line of Break up Oil down between the names, and cut the names apart with pinking shears, then tape the names apart on the left and right sides of the candle, with the zig-zag pinked edges facing me as i face the label.

Black Break Up altar light, offertory candle, or Jumbo candle, Method One: Inscribe their names on the right and left of the candle, writing straight top-to-bottom (not in a spiral, as for most other inscribed candle carvings) and dress their names (but not the entire candle) with Break Up Oil or Separation Oil from top to bottom, to cause their affection to run out.

Black Break Up altar light, offertory candle, or Jumbo candle, Method Two: Inscribe one name at the top and one name at the bottom of the candle, not touching, and write them "back to back" Then use Break Up Oil or Separation Oil to anoint the candle first from the middle up, and then from the middle down.

The Break Up candle dressing techniques outlined are long-standing traditional methods in African American root work. There is a great deal in hoodoo that is not found in other systems of magic. Hoodoo is not merely a set of spells or an alternative way of working magic; it is an entire culture-based system of thought and practice, complete in and of itself.

There are other ways -- but those are enough to get you started.

For more information on Break Up Oil at the forum:
break-up-oil-questions-and-answers-t2027.html

For more information on Separation Oil at the forum:
separation-oil-questions-and-answers-t23446.html

Good luck
catherine yronwode

Sharona22

Unread post by Sharona22 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 pm

I have read so much on candle dressing, blessing, and annoiteing on websites and books that I am getting very confused.

Please give me some of the basics on all of the above keeping in mind I have a very small space for my altar

Abraxas

Unread post by Abraxas » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Sharona22 --

This page from Miss Cat's web site is about as good a basic run down as there is anywhere.

"Hoodoo in Theory and Practice": Candle Magic, Dressing Candles:
http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#dressing

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Sharona22,

Miss Cat answered this really well on the forum posts above. Just start reading from the very first post.

Brujero05

Unread post by Brujero05 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm

I have seen different methods of candle dressing in many books and websites.

The first says if you're working towards attraction, to annoing from top to bottom of the candle. If you are reversing or sending away, from bottom to top.

Then there is another method where you're attracting, you annoing from top to middle and the bottom to middle and opposite if you're sending away.

Is there really a "right" way to annoing a candle? Or does it all depend on a person's taste??

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Brujero05

Miss Cat's answered this very thoroughly in this thread, right up above.

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am

Maybe candle preparation should be one of the board's first 'sticky's, FAQ page, whatever?
HRCC Student #1339

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:31 am

J Simulcik --

Thanks for the suggestion. Folks do seem to come here and post without reading, don't they?

To recap, for answers on the question of directionality in dressing a candle with oil:

1) Scroll to the top of this pages and read downward to here.

2) Now go back up and scroll downward but be sure to click the links that lead to free web pages and to inexpensive books on candle magic.

Good luck to you and may your magic be blessed.
catherine yronwode

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 am

I'm amazed at how much you've written on various subjects, I was just thinking something to point them in the direction of those same writings.

Which is actually what the "read before posting" threads seem to be designed for...don't mind me, I'm just avoiding my biochem assignment! ;)
HRCC Student #1339

DATZZZ

Unread post by DATZZZ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks, catherineyronwode, for your patience. Running an open forum like this can seem like teaching a brand new class of kids every year. You have to meet each newcomer with friendly advice, even if the questions are always the same.

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:03 am

in response to catherine, i would like to echo the advice to have a dedicated tool for dressing and repairing these candles, and i would suggest one may expand that to other types of (metal!) implement. I use a letter opener whose width is narrow enough to match the awl or a nail for shape, one i have used on my altar for something like 23 years.

as regards divination using candles, i always take into account any obvious flaws i may be (in my case intentionally) starting out with, or actions taken to resolve a problem with a burn, when it comes time to examine the candle for an evaluation of its burn. I am intending to get an impression of what variance i can detect from what might be expected given the ordinary circumstances, rather than to give undue emphasis to unusual manipulation or initial candle/glass deformity.
nagasiva yronwode
https://www.facebook.com/nagasiva.yronwode
forum@luckymojo.com (Forum Tech Help)

Leah Rivera
Site Admin

Unread post by Leah Rivera » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:45 am

I was just talking about this yesterday, and thought I'd add my own two cents.
I burn a lot of vigils in my practice, not as many as Lucky Mojo of course, but enough that I've been able to play around with different ways of dressing.

I honestly use a lot of herbs and oils, about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of herbs and oils. I started out with a lot less, but have moved to more and found I got better results on my candles. Of course it could have been me getting better, but thats another story.

I use enough oils to wet the herbs, and have found that by doing this they rarely catch on fire. I also tend to either push the larger herbs into the wax, or use ground versions of the herbs. I use an old kitchen knife, actually the first one I bought for our new home years ago, now as my altar tool. I definately doctor my candles with some regularity.

If the wick is too close to the glass I will push it towards the center.
I will knock the "polyps" off the wick which cause the flame to get too big.
I will move herbs out of the way if they are in danger of catching on fire.

I used to be very hesitant about doing this, but not any more. I have found that this does not interfere in my results, and actually beleive the "tending" improves the outcome.

Cheers,
Lara
Leah Rivera - HRCC Graduate Apprentice #0896

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:02 am

Good points, Lara!

I too remove the polyp-like "knots" on the ends of wicks, remediate bad wick placement, and perform relights (with additional prayers) on glass candles that spontaneously go out.

Most folks will almost instinctively do these sorts of things for their freee-standing candles, but there is a kind of hesitancy to mess with the burn that i have noticed among newbie practitioners when they first begin working with glass-encased vigil lights.

One reason for this is that they lack proper tools for addressing a candle that is well down inside an 8-inch tall glass tube. This is remedied by getting and using a dedicated candle tool, as several of us have described above.

Another reason that newbies to glass-encased vigil lights are reluctant to interfere with the burn of their candles is that they are just learning about smoke-pattern divination in the glass, which is a bit more subtle than wax divination from a free-standing candle, and they get worried that their actions may mess up the divination. For instance, they may have just read the "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" page on candle divination signs at

http://luckymojo.com/candlemagicdivination.html

and think that signs in the glass, such as are described there, can only be valid if the practitioner allows them to develop naturally, without meddling in ways that might change the ourcome of the burn.

To folks with this concern, i would like to say that doing conjure is itself a way of changing the outcome of events -- so why not work with the candle too?

That is, after you have put so much work into gatering personal concerns, preparing a petition, dressing the candle with herbs and oils, praying over it, and positioning it on your altar, it is not necessary to stop working with it while it burns. A glass vigil candle -- just like figural candles, such as Adam and Eve pairs that are "walked" together as they burn or a Divorce candle that is hacked in two with a butcher cleaver while it is burning -- is a work-in-progress as well as a divinatory aid.
catherine yronwode

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:19 am

Lara,

You and I are candle sisters!

I totally agree with everything you just described :-)

xoxo
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:59 pm

I am a herb girl myself and use a pepper grinder to make my herbs superfine. I really concentrate when putting on the herbs and oils. I do love 7 day candles and use them often.

I was taught that if the wax in 7 day candles is soft for whole poking, that is a good sign of success. If the wax is tough for hole poking, there will be a bumpy ride ahead.

I am not to into reading the wax of figure candles unless it really jumps out at me. I think with 7 day candles the story is easily told with the class.

Mary

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:13 pm

J Simulcik,

Good luck with your biochem assignment -- and i look forward to your turning in your Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course homework assignments too :-)
catherine yronwode

Sharona22

Unread post by Sharona22 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:10 pm

OK. Thanks.

sephirah
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by sephirah » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:46 pm

I have boxes of candles from the local Catholic church, including holiday pillars weighing over 3 lbs, but I learned early on that making my own glass-encased vigils, which I do only in a pinch, lacked one element after the mess was cleared. There is something about a LMCC label that adds dimension to the work. It's an in-your-face, "by God, this is what I'm asking for", proclaimation of sorts not unlike the often heard Southern Baptist testiment "I claim it!". It's as if the candle was already 'christened' for that particular work. I think what you are saying Cat is that, label or not, it is our duty to take an active rather than passive role in the work because after all, were it not for us, it wouldn't have been done at all. Short of beating my chest, I hope that is what you are saying because I like it.

Sephirah
(busy with a baker's dozen 3 day old black frizzles in the brooder)

justv

Unread post by justv » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:02 am

I have read that it is important to cleanse your candles before use in rituals. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good way to do this. I wipe them down lightly with Florida Water but sometimes notice it causes the candle to pop when I first light it, I know it is very flammable. I appreciate any advice, Thank you all! :D

V

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:45 am

Hi there,

Are you talking about the glass encased vigil lights?

If so, then I have been taught to use Ammonia to wipe them down, some folks will smudge them a little with sage or some other appropriate incense, some might even use a little their own urine.

take care,
Bri

justv

Unread post by justv » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:21 am

Thank you :D I was actually asking about both glass encased and the non encased like altar candles and figural candles. I use Florida water to wipe them all. The candles that pop are the non encased altar/offertory candles.

V

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:57 pm

justv,

I cleanse my candles before use.

I was actually taught to use rubbing alcohol or whiskey to clean candles for clients and to use my own urine (ammonia) for candles for my own use.

I know of many who use Florida Water and Hoyt's Cologne too, though.

Mary

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 pm

justv wrote: The candles that pop are the non encased altar/offertory candles.
How soon after cleaning them with Florida Water are you lighting them? Make sure the alcohol in the cologne has all evaporated before lighting.

Also, the dressing oils you are using could be causing the popping as the volatile vapors of the essential oils hit the column of heat of the flame. How big of a pop are you talking about?

justv

Unread post by justv » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 pm

The candles only pop as I light them. I realize now I'm not waiting long enough after I cleanse them before lighting. Thank you all for the advice :D Do you usually cleanse candles as you get them or wait until your about to use them? Or even both?

V

coastwitch

Unread post by coastwitch » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 pm

justv --

I wipe down candles with a cloth that has been wetted with Hoyt's Cologne (for lucky love or money candles) or Florida Water (for blessing, healing, or protection candles). I then put them into my storage box.

If I am going to be setting a series of candles, such as for seven days, I wipe each candle clean and oil it by the center-to-ends "magnetizing" method, then wrap it in a triangle of paper on which i have written my petition. The seven candles are then stored for use, and each day it is a simple matter to unwrap one candle, set the triangle-petition under it, and light it. This method was taught by Louis deClaremont on "Legends of Incense Herb and l Magic."
coastwitch

sahjia

Unread post by sahjia » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:43 pm

hi i like to know what is very important when doing some candle spell work ? it s my first time i m going to do scandle pell.

calling wish, energy, or act, should i set and spell my wish til the candle end or leave like that so?

please let me know how as of u r best.

Sharona22

Unread post by Sharona22 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:06 am

Does this cleaning apply to the glass encased vigil candles I buy already dressed from Lucky Mojo? If yes, how?

Leah Rivera
Site Admin

Unread post by Leah Rivera » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 am

sahjia

As I understand your question, you are asking if one should pray and focus on one's wish for desire for the entire time a candle burns or simply while lighting it, and then walk away and let it burn.

There is more than one way. First, with a small candle, like a birthday candle, tea light, or altar light, you have a choice. Most people will light it and walk away, but there are some who will sit with the candle for the 20 minutes to 90 minutes it takes to burn down. It depends on the person and the urgency of the petition, as far as I can tell.

However, I know of noperson who will sit beside a 5 to 7 day vigil light without drinking, eating, or going to the bathroom. It makes no sense and could be harmful. Therefore nobody does it.

Magic is practical, after all.

-----

sharona22,

I personally wouldn't "clean" an already fixed candle, such as the ones sent to you by Lucky Mojo. The candle was already wiped, fixed, and prayed over.

Lara

Rukia Fae

Unread post by Rukia Fae » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:14 pm

The great thing about magick is everyone does it differently!

When I anoint candles it depends on what the spell is for. Basically, if the goal is to bring something TO me (luck, money, love, job, etc) I anoint from the top of the candle all the way down. If it is to take something away from me (problems, health issues, etc) I anoint from the bottom of the candle to the top.

I like the idea of for a break up to anoint from the middle up, then middle down...Thats an idea I think I'll incorporate should I ever have the need!

sangamo1

Unread post by sangamo1 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Does it matter if i leave the lights on or off when I do the [Reconciliation] spell?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:15 pm

sangamo1,

I would never, ever, ever, EVER work a candle spell with bright electric lights on by preference.

I may light a candle during the day, but that is by sunlight.

When i used to set lights in the shop i could not turn the electric lights off, because other folks were using them -- but i HATED that.

Now we have the church, which does have tiny red Chinese altar lights and LED fake incense sticks in it (charming, really), but the real light within the church comes from the four banks of altar candles. i feel so much more comfortable that way.

If i can prepare my work by the light of one candle, i will. The symbolism of candle light is so complete that way -- the candle is then, as the old phases has it, "a candle to guide your way," "a lamp unto the nations," "a light in darkness."

And it's not only about the light on the altar for me, either. If you were working on a doll baby for passionate love, and needed light to work by, wouldn't you rather work by the light of 9 consecrated red candles dressed with Love Me oil than by the light of one compact florescent bulb while the TV is glowing bluely and mumbling about Tide Detergent in the next room? I know that i sure would!

Ditto for setting fixed and prepared altar lights -- if i need light by which to fix and prepare my altar candle, i light a bunch of "mundane" candles, off the altar, to work by.

It always turns out best if you think, focus, and put yourself into a magical headspace, you know what i mean?
catherine yronwode

Vidma

Unread post by Vidma » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:05 am

justv,

I use fresh lemon juice to clean my candles.

Sharona22

Unread post by Sharona22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks Lara I was thinking no myself

snake

Unread post by snake » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:12 am

This is a fantastic topic!! Does Lucky Mojo sell a particular ammonia cleaner that would work for cleaning candles?

I already have Florida Water here at home, but it sounds like it would be good to have an ammonia cleaner on hand.

snake

Unread post by snake » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:24 am

I tend to have a light on in the next room or hallway, so that I have just enough light to see what I'm doing, but not so much that I'm distracted. I also tend to do a lot of spell during the day, so there's always daylight.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:02 pm

snake --

Well, yeas there is:

Buffalo Ammonia, 4 oz.

Use in Magic:
For removing evil, home purification, and unjinxing; a household cleaner; a few drops may be added to uncrossing baths; has a great old-time label.

Spell Methods:
Washes and Waters are used in baths, in home cleaning, as magical laundry additives, in floor washes, as altar offerings, and as perfumed room spritzes or sprays.

Product Details:
4 oz. glass bottle with a colourful label

WAT-BFA-GL04
Buffalo Ammonia, 4 oz.
$6.00

http://www.luckymojo.com/ammonia.html

I personally don't use Ammonia on my candles, because I was taught to use Holy Water to clean them.
HRCC Student #1559

Vidma

Unread post by Vidma » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:11 am

Turnsteel,

After I wipe a candle with the lemon juice, I sprinkle it with some Holy water as well

yooster976

Unread post by yooster976 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 am

literarylioness wrote:I was actually taught to use rubbing alcohol or whiskey to clean candles for clients and to use my own urine (ammonia) for candles for my own use. I know of many who use Florida Water and Hoyte's Cologne too though.

Mary
If you was to use your own urine to clean candles, would this only be used on candles that
you were using for yourself for example a luck drawing spell, or can it be used for spells
that you were employing on others ie a hotfoot spell would be a good example, would
that be negative to youself.

Brian

sangamo1

Unread post by sangamo1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:14 am

I've just started doing it with the light off. I am a college student, and go into the basement kitchen of my dorm to light my candles and do my ritual every night between 12 and 3, then snuff them out. There, I am not disturbed and if I set off the smoke alarm, it cant be traced back to my room. I like the lights off a little better, as I can see how the candle flame is doing, but as far as lights go I do not feel one is more distracting then the other.

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:31 pm

I use my urine for any work I am doing for myself, whether blessing or cursing. My urine is powerful, since it comes from my body. Technically, it is suppose to be the first urine of the day. A little dab will do you :D

I have instructed clients to use their urine for certain work too.

Mary

sangamo1

Unread post by sangamo1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Do I have to anoint candles each time I use them or just once? (I have been rubbing the ones I have been using for my reconciliation work with olive oil each night)

Also, for my honey jar am putting together for the same issue, I am going to be using rosemary oil, a few drops on each votive candle and letting it burn all the way out. The candle has already been cleansed using everclear. (But after doing some reading on another post, I might wipe it down with my own urine too) Does it really matter if its my first one of the day or not?

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:38 pm

It is nice if it is the first urine of the day, but your urine is very powerful either way. I anoint candles each time I use them, unless they are seven day glass encased vigil candles.

Mary

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:06 pm

I typically anoint my candles one time and then let them burn out in the time I have alotted for them--whether that is one day, seven days, etc.

Typically when the first urine of the day is mentioned there is also the requirement that you not speak before collecting that urine. I always found that to be an important aspect of collecting the first urine of the day--the fact that you haven't broken your silence.

take care,
Bri

sangamo1

Unread post by sangamo1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Oh. I have been using votives, saying my little prayer, then snuffing them

I will let the honey jar burn all the way down though.

Is first urine of the day considered after midnight or when I get up in the morning?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:06 pm

There are many ways to work spells and since your question is very general in nature, i can best answer it in generalities.

Some candles only burn an hour, others burn for 5 days or more. You cannot stay away praying or working the spell for 5 days. Most people spend at least 15 minutes on the spell and then let the candle burn. A few, but notall that many, stay with the candle for hours.
catherine yronwode

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 am

sangamo1

I was taught when you get up in the morning.

Bri

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:36 am

As bri noted, the first urine of the day refers to after you wake up, not after midnight.
catherine yronwode

yooster976

Unread post by yooster976 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:51 am

Hi All

I was wondering if I was cleansing and dressing my candles properly after reading some posts.

At present I have been covering the whole of the candle that I am using with oil or a cleansing product, making sure I dont miss any gaps on the candle, that has felt right for me.

I would like to know is if that is the correct way to cleanse/dress the candles or are we just to smudge them, as smudge I would understand that as being just a small area on the candle with no concerns of covering it, I have never seen anyone ever anoint a candle and I dont know if I have misunderstood this.

Thanks Brian

Leah Rivera
Site Admin

Unread post by Leah Rivera » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:28 am

You can read about how to dress candles in this thread, by starting with the first post, and you can also read more here:

Candle Magic: Dressing Candles from "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" by cat yronwode:
http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#dressing

Angelina2

Unread post by Angelina2 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:30 am

Hi all,

How would I go about adding a personal concern to a figural candle representing that person? I have the hair of the person.

Should I mix the hair with the anointing oil as i anoint the picture of the person and put it under the candle?

Or is it better to make a little hole on top of the head, put the hair in and seal it up?

Thanks.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:55 am

Angelina,

This is a nice way to do it if, like you said, you're using a figural candle. Way I was taught you either tie it around the candle, which honestly never really works for me the hair either falls and sits around the bottom of the candle or breaks on me, or get it inside the candle usually by putting a hole in the candle adding the personal concerns and sealing it back up.

Now that's just how I was taught, other people will probably have other things to say. Find what works for you.
HRCC Student #1559

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”