Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Using Herbs for Extracts Tinctures Decoctions Infusions

How to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.
theroberts
Forum Member

Using Herbs for Extracts Tinctures Decoctions Infusions

Unread post by theroberts » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57 pm

I was recently referred this site for herbs. My question is about using them to make tinctures: if i made them, would they would work, and would I use a similar amount as one might an essential oil?

Same question with extracts.

Thanks!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Using Herbs for Extracts Tinctures Decoctions Infusions

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:03 am

Hello, theroberts,

In folk magic, you will find herbs in

• culinary deployment, fresh or dried, in food or drink,
• dried to carry in a bag or dress a candle,
• used as a sprinkle or compounded into a powder or an incense,
• boiled in water for a decoction or steeped in water for an infusion to be sprinkled or used in a wash or water,
• extracted in a solvent (ncluding alcohol as a solvent, for which the proper term is a tincture).

Now, getting to your question regarding Hoodoo tinctures:

The most common form of alcohol used in hoodoo for tinctures is whiskey. The method is low-tech, and simply consists of chopping the material up or using it in whole form, adding it to a bottle of whiskey, letting it sit for at least a month, and using it by the spoonful as a tonic (if the herbs are edible and / or non-toxic in tincture quantities). The alcohol may be decanted if you prefer, but some people like to keep larger whole roots in the whiskey for spiritual and aesthetic reasons. Tinctures may be added to foods, if the herbs are non-toxic. They are suitable for dressing mojo hands, adding to baths or floor washes, and using as sprinkles. They cannot be used to dress candles unless they are allowed to evaporate before lighting the candles.

Because tinctures are liquids, i recommend that for much more information on the use of liquids in conjure, including complete instructions on making infusions and decoctions for use in hoodoo folk magic, please see the great book by Aura Leforest: "Hoodoo Spiritual Baths: Cleansing Conjure with Washes and Waters: --

BOO-GRI-HSPB
Hoodoo Spiritual Baths by Aura Laforest
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

HOODOO SPIRITUAL BATHS:
CLEANSING CONJURE WITH WASHES AND WATERS
by Aura Laforest

Hoodoo Spiritual Baths is a clear, concise, and authentic guide to traditional techniques of bathing and cleansing. Learn how to perform a spiritual house cleaning, how to take a magical bath, and how to ritually dispose of bath waters. This practical guide contains clear instructions on how to use easy-to-find ingredients for teas, baths, and washes, plus dozens of time-tested spells and recipes for every condition, including uncrossing, protection, love, sexuality, marriage, beauty, money drawing, business, gambling luck, blessing, and success.

Aura Laforest is a community herbalist and root doctor who wildcrafts, teaches and consults from her rural home in Quebec, Canada. When she isn't making herbal products from local herbs and roots, you'll find her hiking or leading herb walks.

CONTENTS

Dedication 4
Acknowledgements 4
Hoodoo, A Bit of Background 5
Spiritual Supplies 6
Basic Conjure Terminology and Practices 8
Cleaning the Home and the Body 9
House Cleaning and Bathing for Specific Purposes 10
Hiring a Hands-On Spiritual Worker 10
How Often and How Long 11
Preparation: Terminology and Techniques 12
Spiritual House Cleaning 14
House Cleaning in Seven Easy Steps 15
Floor Washes 16
Fixing the Laundry 18
Floor Sprinkles 20
How to Take a Spiritual Bath 22
Bathing by Proxy 24
Timing When to Bathe 26
Prayers for the Bath 28
Drinking Teas and Bathing 30
Bathing Body Parts 32
Dissolving Words in Water 33
Deployment and Disposal of Waters 34
Ingredients for Teas, Baths, and Washes 35
Special Waters 35
Liquids Other Than Water 36
Minerals 37
Herbs 38
Oils 40
Spiritual Soaps 41
Recipes For Spiritual Baths 42
Baths for Uncrossing 42
Baths for Protection 42
Baths for Love, Sex, and Marriage 46
Baths for Money Drawing and Business 52
Baths for Gambling Luck 54
Baths for Blessings and Success 56
Baths and Washes for Beauty and Glamour 56
Baths and Washes for a Peaceful Home 60
Frequently Asked Questions 62
Bibliography 96

ILLUSTRATIONS

Baths and Floor Washes, 1934 - 2014 13
Circa 1890 Bath Tub and Shower Combination 21

First Edition 2014

Published by
The Lucky Mojo Curio Company
6632 Covey Road
Forestville, California 95436
http://luckymojo.com
catherine yronwode

theroberts
Forum Member

Unread post by theroberts » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for the reply and the book link. To make sure I'm understanding you (because I'm only one cup of coffee into the day) it is okay to use tinctures in place of essential oils as long as I let the alcohol evaporate before dressing candles. So if I had a recipe for an oil that called for cinnamon oil I could use a tincture made from cinnamon? Is there a standard-ish conversion formula? Instead of 5 drop of cinnamon use eo x drops of tincture? Or instead of n drops of vanilla eo use x drops of vanilla extract?

Or could you recommend a book that would have this info, including the one you already recommended?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Hello, theroberts ,

Miss cat has already answered your question about the oils. You cannot use it for dressing candles. It probably wouldn't work well to anoint yourself either if you are going out and want the aroma of the oil.

I am not aware of any conversion table nor of any book that Lucky Mojo sells about this. And we don't recommend books that Lucky Mojo does not sell.

As far as essential oils are concerned, I wouldn't use a tincture in lieu of an essential oil.

I think that this will be all that we will answer regarding this topic. This is a difficult and in depth conversation that you will have to research. We can't walk you through all the steps.

Sorry.

Wishing you the very best with this endeavor. I hope it's successful

theroberts
Forum Member

Unread post by theroberts » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:28 pm

Well, your forum, your online shop, but I'm really only trying to find how much herb I'll need to order from you.

Info want to point out, though, that what you've said contradicts miss cat's statement that tinctures can be used to dress candies after the alcohol has evaporated.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:56 pm

theroberts,

I think you are asking questions about folk magic as if it were some kind of science project. You ask if it will "work." Do you mean magic ... or the making of tinctures from a chemistry-lab perspective?

I think i told you how tinctures are made in hoodoo and how they are used on hoodoo. Anything else you do will be you own unique and idiosyncratic de novo application. It will not be what comes out of African American folk magic.

As for use on candles -- sure, cologne or perfume can also be used on candles, but the alcohol has to evaporate before you light them or you will get a flaming hazard.
catherine yronwode

theroberts
Forum Member

Unread post by theroberts » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Guilty as charged. I'm actually a mathematician by training and a college professor and that part of me crops up at the most inconvenient times. I'm am trying to get in touch with my family's Appalachian magic roots and broaden my horizons to other folk traditions as well . Thanks for pointing this out. I'll experiment and see what happens and where it leads.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:35 pm

If you are interested in the MEDICAL uses of magical herbs - for infusions and decoctions -- this book will be of service:

BOO-BOT-TAMB
This Amazing Book by Sunrae Products Company, ed. cat yronwode
$9.00

Hoodoo Herb and Root Medicine Opens the Door to Better Health

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

Read more here: http://www.luckymojo.com/thisamazingbook.html
catherine yronwode

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork”