• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:19 am

Master Book of Candle Burning by Henri Gamache

Discussiona about hoodoo and conjure spell books, instruction books, grimoires, and books on magic and spirituality.

Unread postby johnnyeye » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:57 am

Greetings, I am studying 'The Master Book of Candle Burning' by Henri Gamche and I'm wondering which Lucky Mojo oils I could use in place of Gamache's 'Hi-Alter' oil, and 'Kindly Spirit' oil.

I also wish to dedicate lights to a patron St. that is not listed in the oils department (St.Cecilia). Which oil would you recommend to dress a candle to this St?

thank you ...peace ...Johnnyeye
johnnyeye

Re: Master Book of Candle Burning by Henri Gamache

Unread postby Turnsteel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:03 am

For Gamache's High Altar Oil use Lucky Mojo 7-11 Holy Oil

For Gamache's Kindly Spirit Oil use Lucky Mojo Spirit Guide oil

For the saints, All Saints Oil can be used when you do not have an oil specifically for that Saint, as can 7-11 Holy Oil.
Turnsteel

Re:Master Book of Candle Burning by Henri Gamache

Unread postby CopperFox » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:53 am

Good substitutes for the Gamache book's Hi-Altar oil would include 7-11 Holy Oil, or the All Saints Oil listed in the Catholic Saints oil section.

Likwise, either of these oils are appropriate for dressing a candle dedicated to any saint, particularly if LM doesn't offer an oil specific to that Saint. The 7-11 Holy Oil comes in a 4 oz. bottle for $12 and is a great bargain in addition to being very useful.

For the Kindly Spirit oil, you could try Spirit Guide oil, the very traditional Abramelin oil, or Master Keyoil . To aid you in calling forth beneficient spirits, you may also wish to acquire some Acacia and Althaea leaves and roots to present as offerings and burn as incense. I also like to burn Benzoin based incenses before calling on the spirits -- this helps to clear out bad energies that can be attractive to less savory spirits. Also helpful is to keep a fresh glass of water scented with Kananga or Florida Water on your altar, as water aids spirits in manifesting.

Good luck,

Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121
CopperFox

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:43 am

All Saints Oil and 7-11 are listed here http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatoils.html

Also Althaea can be placed in bowl or jar next to your candles to draw helpful spirit ... read further here http://www.herb-magic.com/althaea-leaf.html
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby IBube » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 am

Hello Friends!

I have been burning candles using the methods from the Master Book for nearly a year now, and I still don't quite understand the purpose of the white altar lights. These are the two candles placed at the back of the altar, usually white and dressed with "Hi-Altar" oil.

Can any of you share your experiences about how these altar lights function? I have a feeling they are somewhat neutral because all different types of work can be done with the same altar candles. I'd appreciate your insight. Thanks.

I-Bube
IBube

Re: Purpose of altar lights

Unread postby Devi Spring » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:44 pm

The way I was taught, these represent the Light of the Lord - they shine out and bless the entire work. I always pray the Lords Prayer when lighting them.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:13 pm

In ritualistic candle work altar candles represent what some call Divine Light or Gamache's Sacred Flame. It is a symbolic and mystical representation of God's power and is devotional. Some keep a perpetual flame which shines its blessing on the entire work.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby IBube » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks so much, friends!
ConjureMan- I'm going to start using similar prayer when I light the altar lights. I use the Kemetic prayer (the one that starts "Asch en utschut, Djoser Baiou....")
IBube

Unread postby Mama Micki » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:57 am

You can also put a picture, statue, or object between the altar candles that represents the Divine, such as a saint, angel, or deity to bless your work.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby IBube » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:45 pm

You all are full of great, creative ideas! Thanks.
IBube

Re:Master Book of Candle Burning by Henri Gamache

Unread postby Deffy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:50 am

I've picked up a copy of The Master Book of Candle Burning by Henry Gamache and I find it to be quite fascinating and would like to try some of the spells in the book. However some of the oils listed aren't available at Lucky Mojo, does any know of any substitutes carried by Lucky Mojo for the following:

(Taken from the list on page 34 of The Master Book of Candle Burning by Henri Gamache)

HI-Altar Oil
Fiery Command Oil
Beneficial Dream Oil
Glow of Attraction Oil
Conquering Glory Oil
Incense Oil
Kindly Spirit Oil
Holy Bath Oil
Concentration Oil
Bible Oil

Also are these the same/equivelent
XX Double Cross Oil Brand Oil / Lucky Mojo Double Cross Oil
Cleopatra Oil Brand Oil / Lucky Mojo Cleo May Oil
King Solomon Brand Oil / Lucky Mojo King Solomon Wisdom Oil
Deffy

Unread postby Mama Micki » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:53 pm

I suggest that you compare the description of the oil from the book and the description of oils at Lucky Mojo to find those with a similiar purpose. However, I believe that Cleopatra oil, which LM does not sell, is a general love oil, while Cleo May is specifically for making men more generous.

It would be helpful if you could state your goals if you would like help in choosing products, rather than just listing what you read in a book.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Here you go! --

HI-Altar Oil = 7-11 Holy Oil
Fiery Command Oil = Commanding Oil
Beneficial Dream Oil = Aunt Sally's Lucky Dream Oil
Glow of Attraction Oil = Attraction Oil
Conquering Glory Oil = Victory Oil
Incense Oil = Special Oil #20
Kindly Spirit Oil = Spirit Guide Oil
Holy Bath Oil = 7-11 Holy Oil
Concentration Oil = King Solomon Wisdom Oil plus Crown of Success Oil
Bible Oil = Moses Oil
XX Double Cross Oil = Double Cross Oil
Cleopatra Oil = Bewitching Oil (not Cleo May, as this is a different type oil)
King Solomon Oil = King Solomon Wisdom Oil
Kindly Spirit Oil =Spirit Guide Oil

BOO-GRI-MSCB
$7.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Thank you very much for this list. It will definitely come in handy in the coming months...it will also help me pick out some more oils to stock up on!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Sara Dooley » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 pm

I use Spirit Guide oil on a white candle in order to contact my Grandfather. I use the White candle because it is a Sunday and he is an Aries. Those are both suggestions from his book. I hope you like his book as much as I have. :D
Thank you Saint Anthony, you're a prince!
Thank you Catherine!
Sara Dooley

Astral candles

Unread postby anasurvivor » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:30 am

I am a little confuse and I would appreciate if there is anyone who can assist me with this situation. I am currently working on a situation that involves a man and two female. The candle burning process requires the use of the astral candle for all three people involve and moving the man away from one female candle and close to the other female thats want to be closer to him. This is where it gets tricky for example the guy is an Aries and both the females are Sagitarius. I will like to know if you move the aries candle away from one sagitarius female (seperation) and closer to the other sagitarius candle (attraction) how will this work. In a situation like this you may be actually strengthen the realtionship of the ones that are suppose to seperating and pushing the other female who wants the relationship with the guy further apart.
If there is anyone that can help please let me know an answer.
anasurvivor

Re: Astral candles

Unread postby MaryBee » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:48 am

Since both the women involved are Sagitarius, I would instead use figural candles for this work. Get a red male candle for the man, a red female candle for the woman you want to draw to him, and a black female candle for the one you want to push away. Carve the names of the respective people on their candles and use them that way.

To order figural candles from Lucky Mojo click here:
http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html#figural

To learn about moving candle spells with figural candles, click here:
http://forum.luckymojo.com/moving-candle-spells-figural-plain-questions-and-answers-t9265.html

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.
MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby anasurvivor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:08 am

Thank you for your help that makes sense and gets rid of the confusion. Thank you again Mary Bee
anasurvivor

Unread postby MissMichaele » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:13 am

The astral candle system comes from Henri Gamache's Master Book of Candle Burning, I believe. The candles are double or tripple dipped. These are very elaborate spells, which often call for an astral candle IN ADDITION to a candle named and dressed for the person whose sign it is. So Gamache would call for:

• a Sagittarius candle for the Other Woman AND a candle with her name on it
  • a Sagittarius candle for you AND a candle with your name on it
  • an Aries candle for him AND a candle with his name on it.

A figural candle spell would be much simpler, yes.

Even if you want only the energies of their astrological sun signs to be represented, there are simpler ways to do it:

• dress each figural candle with Aries or Sagittarius oil as appropriate, OR
  • use photographs or personal concerns as appropriate for each astrological candle

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Nadige » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 pm

What about Gamache's Flaming Power oil?
Nadige

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Nagige,

Lucky Mojo Power Oil will work for Gamach'es Flaming Power Oil.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Setanaya » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 am

Just reading through the information and all of this is so helpful. I am amazed at the amount of information and grateful that everyone is so willing to help others.
~Setanaya
Setanaya

Unread postby Uncle PJ » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:07 pm

I just got a copy today. It's 11pm. I've got to be at work at 4am. I'm going to be a hot mess tomorrow, but I can't wait to read this book. Oh and I took a sleep aid. Haha. Talk about burning the candle at both ends lolol (pun intended).
Uncle PJ

Unread postby Dragonfly72 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Hello everyone,
I got my copy two weeks ago and I've read carefully the whole book. I didn't try anything yet, but was wondering how effective these rituals are. I know that the book is considered a classic and seems a very sound one, but how many of you have tried successfully any of these and which? Any suggestion as of where to start? Many thanks!

Thank you St-Anthony for all your help!
Dragonfly72

Unread postby j82 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Dragonfly72,

the book is a classic and he has wrote many things on the subject of candles, as did Charmaine Day. The book is a tool to use in the workings to teach you how to use multiple candles with multiple meanings and oils and moving them for work. It also incorporates the bible into it which is another tool that it is teaching you to use.

Some of the candle moving spells in this book are too complicated for me, but I did pull from the book on how to use candles, move candles, use candles around other candles with other oils, and incorporate biblical prayer.
j82

Unread postby MileHighMojo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:09 pm

I have a question from the book about making my own personal astral candle and learning to make them for others as it seems to be a lost art.

The book says Virgo for instance should use a Gold candle with Black on the outside and Blue dots, and wonder if anyone knows the symbolism here. I want to make them more personal by rolling them in the proper herbs and roots and powders as well as Zodiac and Planetary oils for the sign, including the rising and moon signs.

So if the Virgo candle had been made, what oils and herbs would you put in the Black and Blue and would you simply continue in order with the other zodiac signs? ex. (Virgo with Taurus rising and Gemini moon).

A lot of work would go into it but can you imagine how powerful it would be and be like an ip address specific to the person being worked for and you would be able to get all of these items mentioned from LMCCo!

Heres my train of thought on an example and please let me know if I am off here...

Firstly, carve Full Name and DOB in the base candle being GOLD before putting the black and blue dots on.

So Virgo Oil with Mercury Sachet powders along with ground herbs for Virgo and Mercury all mixed in the Black wax tinfoil boat?

Then, Taurus Oil and Venus sachet powders rolled in herb wax mix for Taurus.

Lastly, Gemini oil and Moon oil with the Mercury sachet powders and roll the entire candle in the appropriate herb wax mix after hollowing a hole out and putting personal concerns in.
HRCC STUDENT #1999
Rev. Clark
Mile High Mojo
MileHighMojo

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:57 pm

"A lost art"???? Hardly. I love the way newbies come to this forum and tell us that our daily work is a "lost art." LOL!

You need to read "The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic." All is explained there.

As you know, the symbolism is astrological -- hence the name "Astral" candle.

Colour symbolism of the signs and planets varies from culture to culture, region to region, and over time. Stick with your favourite colour symbolism, if you have such. Otherwise, follow a teacher or a leader, whoever that may be.

Of course herbs and minerals are rolled in them. Always have been, always will be. This is not done to make them "more personal." It is done to MAKE them, period. You can also add unmelted wax chunklets (the "dots") and of course you always add the appriate oil, by the drop. There is a picture of one (drawn by Charles C. Dawson, circa late 1930s) on page 15 of "The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic." How to make them is described on page 11 of the same book.

No, no, no to the sachet powders. No. They can form a "shell" that will not burn.

I have no clue what you mean by a "tinfoil boat." I have been making astral candles for more than 50 years and have taught hundreds of students how to make them, and i have never used a "tinfoil boat" to make them. I use a cookie sheet, as i was taught circa 1963. For quicker work, back in the late 1960s i added the use of a strip of foil to help speed the rolling process, but it is not strictly necessary. There is no "boat" of any kind.

What with your sachet powder and tinfoil boat and "lost art" and "more personal" stuff, i suspect that you may be trying to re-invent the wheel.

I'm happy to teach you how to do the work, but first you're gonna have to uderstand that you are not dealing with a "lost art."
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby MileHighMojo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Lost art as in my grandmother is dead, and she cannot teach me how she learned but I am certain that she used tinfoil in the oven to remelt her remaining "daily" candles and add things to that boat then rolling her candles in that mix. She was 88 when she went to Jesus so who knows, she may have not read that book but sure helped a lot of people. I am not sure why you took such offense to a question Spirit led me to ask from memories of my childhood and the way she worked. Sorry to you for the obvious offense. Lesson learned.
HRCC STUDENT #1999
Rev. Clark
Mile High Mojo
MileHighMojo

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:13 pm

No offense taken. None intended. I am a blunt speaker. If i was offended, i would tell you.

As soon as you said "in the oven," i understood what you mean by a "tinfoil boat" -- you meant for melting the wax in. I was taught to use a cookie sheet on a two-burner hot plate. A "tin foil boat" made no sense to me in that context -- in time the foil would burn right through and spill wax onto the heat source. In an oven, with even heat, you could indeed use tin foil, no doubt.

As i understand your description of your grandmother's work, the candles are dipped and rolled in the "tinfoil boat" of melted wax to coat them and then rolled (while the wax is still soft), through dry, cut herbs.

Is that correct?

The method i learned incorporated the herbs and oil drops in the melted wax on the cookie sheet. Paraffin wax is brittle. The wax for the rolling should be soft and pliable wax.

The easiest to use is bee-frame beeswax sheets, just laid out on the cookie sheet and touched briefly to the hotplate. You can buy bee-frame beeswax sheets at any rural feed store or online.

Another method is to use low-melting point cheese wax.This is what i was taught to use. Cheese wax is not common these days -- most cheeses are now shrink-wrapped in wax-coloured plastic -- but real cheese wax is the best. I save mine from cheeses, but you can buy unused brand-fresh cheese wax online by the pound.

The cookie sheet method i was taught allows you to lay two colours of wax side by side (each with its own load of herbs and oil) and roll both the top and bottom of the candle at the same time. You have to work fast, just barely melt the wax, and be careful to keep everything level, but it is not difficult, once you get the hang of it.

Gamache's book came out in 1942; the drawing by Charles Dawson is from the mid 1930s and was published repeatedly in catalogues of that era. Of course not everyone used books to learn from or saw those catalogues. However, not everyone would make their own candles, and most people woud purchase them, so folks had varying ways of making them. I learned a good way and your grandmother seems to have come up with a good system, too.

You did set me off with that "lost art" concept, though. I have been here all along. I am not lost!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby MileHighMojo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:15 am

I appreciate your honesty and your bluntness. Thank you! I, and many others, are certainly glad you are not lost. Have a great Sunday, I am getting ready for bible school. God bless you and yours!
HRCC STUDENT #1999
Rev. Clark
Mile High Mojo
MileHighMojo

Unread postby Medicojedico » Wed May 20, 2015 1:13 am

Astral candle workshop?
Would there ever be a chance at maybe having a workshop where if supplies are secured ahead of time that a small group can come and witness the process and perhaps make their own astral candle? The descriptions are so intriguing, and I know I learn by seeing and doing.
Medicojedico

Unread postby Miss Aida » Wed May 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Hello, Medicojedico ,

It's a possibility but not a strong one. Miss cat would need a large group for this.

She's so very busy hat I don't think she would do this.

However, maybe at the end of the year, you could suggest it as a workshop for the presenters.

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Also find me on Hoodoo Psychics
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

• Advertisement
Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to Books, Pamphlets, Instruction Manuals, and Grimoires in Hoodoo