Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

How to take cat's Correspondence Course, plus news about Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Workshops, Apprenticeships, and Parties.
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for responding Cat. I have read each of these...I will be contacting you tomorrow.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

geolondon

Unread post by geolondon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi there,

I'm an English ecclectic pagan, and I seem to keep gravitating towards learning hoodoo. Obviously it has no bearing geographically, but I feel it reads to be very similar to practices I already keep within my incense and poppet creations.
I am curious/nervous about working without a circle, and I am also unsure about working with Christian Saints as it seems to be so far from the natural energies I love. Having said this, having read everything I can of Catherine's online,I feel it seems a natural step for me, and I'm ready to purchase some books to see if Hoodoo really is calling to me.

Does anyone have any guidance on working with energies that are so far from your homeland (although I do believe we are all part of a larger energy, and therefore part of an ecclectic brother(or sister)hood)?

I am also curious in amalgamating some of the practices I currenlty use with some of the powders and incenses associated with Hoodoo (such as the LM powders etc) does anyone have any experience with this?

Many Thanks for your help and time.

Blessed be
Scarlet Tides

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:17 pm

I called twice today Cat. I talked with Angela before 5pm Pacific. I called again and was informed to call you tomorrow between 9-5pm. Do I need to leave a number for you to call when you are available? Thanks in advance for your time.

preppieroots
HRCC Student

Unread post by preppieroots » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi,

I am strongly drawn to take Cat's on line course. I have read all about it and am quite comfortable with all of the homework descriptions she has supplied us with.... I have already bought graveyard dirt, a few times over...which I would suppose is one of the more uncomfortable aspects of this course. I am caucasian but have family members through blood and marriage who are African American, so that assignment will be easy for me as well.

I am and have been interested in magic, folk ways and Vodou for many years now. I found Cat's websites back in 06 while starting some major court case work, and made some items myself from the information Cat so generously supplied. I started to really follow a magical path back in 1996, and have been reading and learning about many systems ever since. My library ranges from light witchcraft, (ie Cunningham) to some Chaos magic (Book of Results, Disinformation Society books...) all the way to an English translation of the Sefer Ha Razim, a very hard book to get a hold of these days. I mean it when I say I adore reading and learning as well as practicing magic/folkways ...it is an activity that makes my heart sing. (as corny as that may sound, it is the only way I can describe how this all makes me feel)

I am not really sure if I am going to try to become a professional root worker/conjurer at this point, but I know for sure that I want to learn more and that this course is the best way for me to do so. I have done work for friends as well as family members, and I have seen some very positive results, as well as some fizzling nothingness happen! (I try to remain humble and admit to my own failings even when I know I am able to get some stuff done) I agree that this form of folk way needs to be shared and passed on, so as to keep it alive. It is such a beautiful way. I will only make my decision to be a professional root worker after I have finished this course.

On a mundane level, I am a very earnest student and absolutely finish what I have started. (may be due to my Mars, in first house in Aries? or possibly an inherited trait <shrugs>)

So, Dear Cat, I please wish to take this course of yours, and I mean it when I say I will be a good student for you and for me. I will call the store again regarding this, and hopefully will have a chance to speak with you. But I thought I should write a post here, stating my intentions and a bit about why I think I can be a good Hoodoo student under your tutelage.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and for all that you have already done and given to us all.

xoxo
PR
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1530

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi PR,

First off, I applaud you on your desire to take the course, it is a WONDERFUL opportunity to learn about traditional rootwork from a living master. Secondly, I think that right now you need to be a customer in good standing with Lucky Mojo to take the course. You might want to give the shop a call and get all the details on it.

good luck to you,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

preppieroots
HRCC Student

Unread post by preppieroots » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Thank you Bri, for explaining this and for your reply. I am going to call the store, after I have ordered a couple more things from Cat.

I am super excited about this course. I can barely contain myself!! :shock: :mrgreen:

PS thanks also for the applause. :D
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1530

Unread post by Avatar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:24 pm

I would like to take the course. However, I've been advised that I don't have "the gift" to do magic. I'd like to acquire the gift so I can do the course, and my own spellwork. How do I acquire the gift?

Thanks.

Miss Kerry

Unread post by Miss Kerry » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 am

Hi, I was wondering how long it would be, before I would be considered elligable to undertake Cat's Course.

I am eager to start learning with Cat, and though i've purchased a few books on Hoodoo over the last few months, (one being Cat's own book, which is my hoodoo bible) and gathered various roots, herbs etc from its contents. I don't want to be influenced by other sources, I want to learn Cat's way. I've only placed one order so far with yourselves, is there a specific time period one has to wait before acceptance on the course is granted.

Like I say i'm eager to start proper tuition on Hoodoo and as far as I can tell and by mass recommendation, Cat's is the best and only way to be taught correctly in hoodoo to then become a genuine practitioner.

Blessings

Kerry
2010 Course Graduate #1548

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:46 pm

It depends on who told you that you "don't have the gift." It could be someone who is jealous or doesn't want you to have any power to help yourself. Try it for yourself and see what results you get.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

rjwcim

Unread post by rjwcim » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:06 pm

cleopatra wrote:It depends on who told you that you "don't have the gift." It could be someone who is jealous or doesn't want you to have any power to help yourself. Try it for yourself and see what results you get.
I have to agree with Cleopatra you wont know what your capable of until you've tried out a few spells and see for yourself.

cabriellenil
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cabriellenil » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:18 pm

Get a reading from a worker like Cat. They can read if you have the gift or not.
HRCC Graduate #1610

Miss Kerry

Unread post by Miss Kerry » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Avatar

I wouldn't dispair, 'the gift' of working any kind of magic is something a) your born with b) can be awoken in anyone of us. Its like anything, you could be born with a natural gift for writing, art or sport, but if you truly desire something, putting your mind and your energy into it, you can achieve anything you put your heart too. No two people are the same, embrace your own power and forge your own skill in your work.

Kerry

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Kerry,
The best thing to do with this question is to call the shop directly. I believe that right now you need to a customer of Lucky Mojo's in good standing, but there may be other requirements as well. The course is wonderful and you will learn so much more that just traditional southern style rootwork!

good luck,
Bri

Miss Kerry

Unread post by Miss Kerry » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:11 am

Hi Bri,

Yeah i rang the shop yesterday, i posted a thank you to the chap on the customer testimonal page who I spoke too. I know what is required of me for the future with regards to the course, have another order ready, just waiting for payday on Friday!

Blessings

Europa

Unread post by Europa » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14 am

Since February of this year I have been researching and talking to friends are rootworkers and find myself fascinated with the work and practices. My father recently shared with me my grandmother's habit of going into the woods and collecting bits and pieces to help the community. She was Native American, hardcore baptist that took care of her own and friends, because it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately she passed when I was a little girl and I was unable to gleen knowledge from her. I look forward to building a raport with Lucky Mojo and gaining the new knowledge of an old practice. Thanks for giving me this opportunity!
Europa

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:38 pm

You're welcome. Teaching this course has brought me into contact with many people who share a similar background to yours. It may be that you will find many things in the course familiar to you from family practices.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 am

Literarylioness wrote:I am actually in it. Jeff interviewed me for that book. I am Mary Traversi in there.
Srsly? I have the 2005 edition (first printing) and don't see you in the index. What chapter are you in?

Miss Michaele
HRCC Graduate #0361 - Forum Moderator
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:53 pm

MissMichaele wrote: Srsly? I have the 2005 edition (first printing) and don't see you in the index. What chapter are you in?

Miss Michaele
I am not in that one. I am in his 2008 edition. He interviewed me in 2006. The 2008 book is so good! I recommend it to everyone.

Mary
HRCC Graduate Apprentice #0721GA

Anwynn

Unread post by Anwynn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:36 pm

It is my understanding that in order to qualify in taking the Hoodoo course is you must be a customer of Lucky Mojo. OK. So what is suggested for those people who are resourceful, make their own candles and oil and have a spiritual conflict in using paraffin based products?

Anwynn

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mary Bee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Anwynn:

I believe many of the Hoodoo products at LM are paraffin-free, such as many of the incenses, washes, and oils. Traditionally in Hoodoo, formulas that are used to curse or "hot foot" people, such as Hot Foot or Goofer Dust, may contain ingriedients like crushed insects or snail shells and the like. If you have a spiritual conflict with that, you may not want to purchase those Lucky Mojo products. However, other products such as Money Drawing, Fast Luck, and things for love and prosperity tend to only contain herbs and resins. Your best bet may be to call the shop and ask which products *do* contain paraffin or animal products (if you object to them).

And once you find that out, order a few of the non-candle products and try 'em out! The oils are really good, and I've made my own oils in the past too :) The self-burning incenses are also great.

Good luck,
waterborn
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

SilverCandle

Unread post by SilverCandle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:29 am

Ello guys.

I would like to take a beginners/basic course in Hoodoo. I'm a practising wiccan. I do not know anything about Hoodoo and would like to learn right from the very start of it.
Any advice?

Thanks very much. ;)
Thank you God, Archangels and Saints for all you do

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:48 am

Best advice is actually to read the Lucky Mojo site. Ms Cat is a very knowlegeable woman, and also very kind, for she has posted a ton of information about hoodoo on the site. It's free, it's accurate, it's in depth... You couldn't get a better start than browsing the site and reading everything you find there. History, definitions, free spells, theory... It's all covered.

Once you've done that (and hung around the foruma bit picking up some tips you could look at taking the correspondnce course Ms Cat offers.

Until then... Read. Ask questions. Take advantage of the people here on the forum who have experience and are willing to share, and enjoy the free resources Ms Cat has made available for people jsut like you. Make sure you enjoy what you're learning. If you want to know about something in particular, the forum has a handy search function and you will often find that others have been there before you and asked the same questions you want answered.

Also, there are members of the AIRR who provide magical coaching services, you may wish to look into obtaining their services if you have a particular work planned.

Also... Buy Ms Cat's book! <= plug

SilverCandle

Unread post by SilverCandle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:11 am

Thats great advice, thanks very much. I've had a good look around the site, and it's brilliant. I think what I was hoping for was a beginners guide book, starting from scratch. I'm definitley going to buy her book.

Thanks for your help.

Kolade
HRCC Student

Unread post by Kolade » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:54 am

Good Morning All!

So, I've been checking out the Theory and Practice site and lurking here on the forum for a while now. I am still amazed at the amount of information that is here! Well, I think that I am ready to step it up and take the correspondence course! Hopefully, I qualify (I've been a customer since May '09 and have purchased quite a few things) and will be able to enroll next month.

For those of you who have taken the course, would you say it was one of your best "hoodoo decisions" :D ? Is there anyone here in the ATL who has taken the course?
HRCC Student #1543

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:14 pm

What i recommend is that you purchase a copy of "Hoodoo herb and Root Magic" and while you are waiting for it to arrive, set your browser to keep followed links visible (unexpired) for one month. This function will be in your browser's preferences section; it may be set to a shorter time (3 days) or to "once per session", but you want it to expire the followed links only after 30 days. Once you have done that, you are ready to read the entirety of the Lucky Mojo online version of "Hoodoo in Theory ad Practice," at
http://luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

Every time you hit a link that has NOT already been followed -- FOLLOW IT and read that page. When you have followed all the links on one page, go on to the hoodoo.html top page and start the next page. After a while, all of the links you see will be followed links, and you will know you have read every hoodoo page at the Lucky Mojo site.

Next go to
http://southern-spirits.com
and
http://herb-magic.com
and use the same technique. Many of the links on these two sites will already be marked in your browser as "followed" because they link back to Lucky Mojo pages.

Then go to arcane-archive.org and locate the hoodoo archive section at
http://arcane-archive.org/occultism/magic/folk/hoodoo/
and read all of those posts.

Finally, go to the AIRR site of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers at
http://readersandrootworkers.org
and read every page there, using the same link-following system

Within one month, you will have read all of the hoodoo pages i have written, plus the writings of some other good folks as well.

Then, if you are still keen on the subject, you might be interested in taking my Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course.
catherine yronwode

zee_2

Unread post by zee_2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:30 am

Thats a good idea Miss cat. I was about to ask about the correspondence course as well,and how one may be considered as 'ready' for the course... but the more i read the HITAP and the forum , the more i realize the importance of having done some hands-on stuff for myself as well as thinking about how a spell/working might be devised, before jumping in the course.

I looked up the course curriculum and it really helps to know whats in store if one signs up, that was very helpful insight.

Thanks again,
Zee

SilverCandle

Unread post by SilverCandle » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks for all your advice Cat, much obliged.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:12 am

I am a graduate of the course and I cannot recommend it highly enough! My suggestion once you have the book is to read through it once, then start reading through it again and working the homework in the order it is given. That will give you a firm ground to stand on in your hoodoo practice.

good luck,
Bri

Reynolds

Unread post by Reynolds » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:42 pm

Hi Miss Cat,

someone on the myhoodoospace group saw a post in which I mentioned I had made the 17 herb male tonic awhile back. Said person asked for the recipe. Am I allowed to share it? A little confused, as it isn't a propriatary formula, though I learned about it via the course.

I posted that I would check in and see if I have the ok to share it.

Thanks,

- Reynolds

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:34 pm

You should ask this at the Yahoo group for HRCC students.

But, since you got the recipe from the Course book the answer is NO -- when you signed up for the course, you agreed not to share things from it.

Reynolds

Unread post by Reynolds » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Hahaha, you're right! I was going to to, but I couldn't figure out what acronym to use as the subject header lol, oh well I try one.

Thanks, Mama Micki

Kolade
HRCC Student

Unread post by Kolade » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for your reply Bri. I ordered the course yesterday; so, I am anxiously awaiting approval and getting started. I took a look at the posted curriculum and I don't think I should have a problem turning any of the homework assignments.
HRCC Student #1543

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:01 am

I would love to take the correspondence course but I foresee one major challenge. My husband and I are selling our house. As soon as we do so, we plan to move into our motor home and moving around the country from place to place. We will either find work in each RV rental spot to cover the rent and go treasure hunting across the country for the next year or so. We don’t really plan on striking it rich, but we plan on it covering our expenses for a couple of years (we have realistic expectations of prospecting!)

This does make it a bit hard to complete some aspects of the homework.

1. I don’t feel safe continually burning any candles in a motor home.

2. I don’t know where the next crossroads will be, but we will coming across so many that this is not really an issue.

3. My problems is meeting people in general. I have no idea who I will be meeting when on the road. I think the demographics of an RV park tends to be of an older white segment, but honestly I am guessing. This will be new to me as my husband and I are younger than the normal RV demographic. I know I can do it online, but I would really prefer to do it in person if possible. It is part of the point of the homework after all.

Do you think it would be better to wait a couple of years to do the course to when I am in a more stable environment? Part of me says yes, but part of me says this will be a part of my spiritual growth and journey that we are getting ready to embark upon. It will help guide our path. I would love your thoughts, Cath.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:30 pm

You do not need to burn candles or bury anything at the crossroads to complete the homework. There are some hands-on projects, but you can easily complete them even with limited space. Go ahead and sign up; it's a very enjoyable and informative experience.

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mary Bee » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Hello Miss cat and everyone else:

I would love to take the course. I've just been doubting my own gifts or abilities lately.

I've worked a lot with the lovely Lara Rivera *waves at her* who's helped me do work for myself in terms of Uncrossing and protection work. She made me a fabulous mojo too :)

I am about to complete a 13 day Uncrossing bath because I got "crossed up" after doing a Hot Foot working on a person who had sent evil work against me. Lara confirmed through her reading that my work was successful but this person was "more powerful than me." She's also been stressing with me that not every rootworker is gifted at every area of rootwork: some are good with love spells, some are good with money and are no good with love work, some are great at graveyard work and are no good with gambling, etc. Of course, I kinda wish I were really obviously easily gifted at money work, but maybe I haven't found the right angle yet :?

I've learned and practiced so much on my own through the forums, Miss Cat's book and the LM website. I hope to talk to Miss Cat soon and see if I'd be an appropriate student. My family are middle of the road Catholics. No one on either side practiced a folk art, conjure or magick that I ever knew of; my maternal grandfather and his sisters did see ghosts but they usually refused to talk about it after mentioning it once or twice. Not very useful :roll:

Thanks for listening,

waterborn
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:38 pm

If you have ordered from the shop and your name is in our database, Angela or Alicia can check out your request to take the course and then, if you qualify and if i am around, pass you to me for a brief interview, after which you can sign up.
catherine yronwode

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:56 pm

1. The course does not require that you burn candles.

2. The course does not require that you perform any work at a crossroads.

3. If you are white and live in the USA, you will be required in this course to meet and befriend an African American person in order to complete Homework #2. You will not be able to "do it online" unless you live in another nation, or are medically incapable of getting out of bed. Applicants who want to study hoodoo without enjoying contact with African American people don't qualify for student status; for instance, if you have a Facebook page but you don't have any black fiiedns on Facebook, it would hardly seem reasonable for you to attempt to take this course. Sorry to be so strict, but this is not a course about "spells" -- it is about a type of folk magic for which Black Americans are the culture-bearers.
catherine yronwode

Mary Bee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mary Bee » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:38 am

Thank you, cat:

I've ordered lots of things from the shop over the last few years; I love LM products, as they're so well made and they work :)

I need to pull the money together and then I'll call up to see if I qualify.

waterborn
Mary Bee
HRCC Graduate #1562
Rootworker

stelselv

Unread post by stelselv » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:46 am

3. [...] Applicants who want to study hoodoo without enjoying contact with African American people don't qualify for student status, [...]
This is exactly my problem,
I am interested in joining the course, but
I don't live in the US,
I am not a white and
I don't have an African American friend....
Can i join the course???????????????

rjwcim

Unread post by rjwcim » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:27 am

Hello Stelselvs,

My name is Rashay and I'm African-American, I would love to get to know you, it's awesome that you want to take the course, it teaches a lot of things, I'm even learning new stuff about my own culture that I didn't even know about (knowing why Grandma did this when I was younger or did that) sorta stuff. If Miss Cat takes you as a student I would be more than happy to help you with Homework assignment #2 (I actually just mailed mines off today as a matter of fact lol) and hopefully we can be very good friends in the process, even after you've long graduated. I'll PM you with my e-mail address, I don't know if you use facebook at all but I'll also give you that info too, so if you do you can add me to your friends list.

Take care,
Rashay

stelselv

Unread post by stelselv » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:52 am

thanks Rashay :D :D :D , wow I did not know I could get so much of help from this forum, I am excited to get to know you :shock: . I have your email add and facebook address ;) ...I am interested in starting the course next year in Feb 10 :) . I have some things to work on first.. :D . thanks for all the help that your are willing to offer... :lol:
I hope to get to know you not only for the purpose of this course, but i am sure you are a nice person too.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks Cat.

I had a hunch I should wait, but I was not sure. I really was not sure who I would meet on the road or when. I don’t want the lack of ability to meet the appropriate folks during a critical time to interfere or delay my learning. For now, I can continue my spiritual explorations.

Right now, I am living in the VA and I am learning a ton about the Appalachia folk magic. It has been interesting and enlightening to live in the middle of the southern bible belt and to see magic co-exist. Folks who are self proclaimed Christians and hate anything to do with the devil do would not dig for a well without consulting a water witch (a dowser). The water witches advertise openly in the local phone books, but anyone on a pagan path has to be hidden. I have also learned to make proper Hoppin John, and would not start a new year without having some.

I love to learn folk traditions of all types. While on the road I will just chronicle the traditions of the people I come across and then sign up for the course when I am on a settles path again.

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:57 am

I would like very much to take your course, please. I had thought about waiting to take the course, but I am instead waiting to sell the house and travelling about.

My name changed when I was married so my order history is under 2 names for 4-5 years or so if you need to look that up, before you want to start a dialogue. It won’t let me send a private message, though. Can you look it up under my email address?

I don't even know where to start to talk about my journey. I could talk about my family, my path to get here, so many things. I also know you get so many stories from so many people, I don't want to bore you with something you don't need to know or have heard before.

I am 40, married with 4 dogs a cat and I live in Appalachia. Currently I work in insurance and suffer from daily migraines triggered by fluorescent lighting and sensitive to electrical fields. I got the migraines after I got encephalitis two years ago and got permanent damage. I also am a paranormal investigator. I have been practicing shamanic healing and learning about hoodoo and folk magic for the past 5-6 years. My brother is native American so I have been focusing on native all cultural learning in America to this point, as America is truly a melting pot.

I am particularly drawn to hoodoo as I am so drawn to working with the saints. Also, I seem to have had very strong results with lucky mojo products and with lucky mojo when they did their work for me, so it seems like the natural evolution for me to take the next step and study in depth. I need to study why it is the only magic that really has worked for me.

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:58 am

I would like very much to take your course, please. I had thought about waiting to take the course, but I am instead waiting to sell the house and travelling about.

My name changed when I was married so my order history is under 2 names for 4-5 years or so if you need to look that up, before you want to start a dialogue. It won’t let me send a private message, though. Can you look it up under my email address?

I don't even know where to start to talk about my journey. I could talk about my family, my path to get here, so many things. I also know you get so many stories from so many people, I don't want to bore you with something you don't need to know or have heard before.

I am 40, married with 4 dogs a cat and I live in Appalachia. Currently I work in insurance and suffer from daily migraines triggered by fluorescent lighting and sensitive to electrical fields. I got the migraines after I got encephalitis two years ago and got permanent damage. I also am a paranormal investigator. I have been practicing shamanic healing and learning about hoodoo and folk magic for the past 5-6 years. My brother is native American so I have been focusing on native all cultural learning in America to this point, as America is truly a melting pot.

I am particularly drawn to hoodoo as I am so drawn to working with the saints. Also, I seem to have had very strong results with lucky mojo products and with lucky mojo when they did their work for me, so it seems like the natural evolution for me to take the next step and study in depth. I need to study why it is the only magic that really has worked for me.

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:00 am

Oh, 4 dogs and 1 cat is why I sometimes get candles burned at Lucky Mojo instead of the house. You can only burn so many candles safely in your woodstove. I also hope you can see that I have spent a great deal of time (other posts) and thought on becoming a student. I take it very seriously.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:15 am

You need to call or email the shop to request admission.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 am

I would suggest calling the shop and asking to speak with Cat.

star999

Unread post by star999 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 pm

I also appreciate that guidance, Cat. I hope to take your Correspondence Course someday, and am starting to work my way through the site.

Best wishes,
Marie

AfricanSun

Unread post by AfricanSun » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:17 am

Dear Lucky Mojo forum users

I would so like to enroll for Cat's hoodoo corrospondence course, but I have several challenges before I can get there. The problem is that I live with my mom and she won't allow it. The reason, she says is because of our religion. She raised me very conservatively as a 'good Christian boy' and thinks that I'm being satanic or such and such. I also think that she is afraid of the spellworking I'd have to do.

I used to stay with my dad on a farm about 200 miles from where I now live with my mom. I could go stay with him, but the problem is that he's an alcoholic and gets aggressive when he's drunk. He is however much more open minded than my mom. Also on the town where he works there is a traditional healer that sells 'muti' and does spellworking and such. I thought that it would be lovely if I could go work for him and learn his magical trade. However my mom says she won't allow it and that people would laugh at me if I did. However, I think it's a pretty good idea, and my dad also doesn't have a problem with it.

There might be light at the end of the tunnel, though. Because there's this herb that is indiginous to South Africa where I live that is a natural anti-depressant and also a sedative and is used in drug rehab, which I might recommend to my dad for his alcohol problems.

If you could be so kind as to advise me on what I could tell my mom about this kind of religion (magic) to convince her to allow me to follow my own path in life, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Well, there's sort of a couple challenges here.

For one, a person needs to establish themselves as a regular customer of Lucky Mojo before Miss Cat will consider allowing them to take her course. So you'd need to have a history of ordering before being eligible. I'm guessing because of your mother's perspective, it would be difficult to fulfill that prerequisite for the course.

I'm not sure of your age and financial situation either. If you are working and have your own bank account then paying for these things at least wouldn't be an issue. However if you are not completely financially independant, then that will make it alot harder. I'm also unsure at to Miss Cat's stance on accepting minors into the course anyway. You would need to take that up with her.

There are many pages on the history and development of hoodoo on the Lucky Mojo site, and by reading through those it's very obvious that hoodoo is a Christian form of magic. You could try printing those pages out and talking with her about it. However, I imagine you are coming from a denomination that sees any and all magic as sinful, and therefore taboo. So no amount of showing people who believe that way that hoodoo is actually heavily Christian will likely change their minds. I come from that kind of background - there's no arguing with people like that, and very infrequently is middle-ground even attainable.

I wouldn't go prescribing herbs to your father without consulting with a professional herbalist or naturopath about it. Also sedatives - even herbals ones - and alcohol DON'T MIX. Alcohol is a downer, and using more downers with it is a very dangerous combination. There's also so much more to kicking an addiction than just medicating symptoms. It involves a great deal of behavior modification, intensive therapy and introspective, and above all a deep committment and desire to make that change. You can certainly encourage your father to quit drinking, but unless he wants to nothing you do is likely to change that.

You just might have to wait until you are of age and out living on your own, which is know is a frustrating prospect - but it's also part of being young and at home to have to make seemingly annoying concessions to your parents beliefs.

If you are of age and working, but still living at home for whatever reason, then consider clandestinely renting a post office box for yourself, and then having your items sent there.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

wjkirby

Unread post by wjkirby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Know there's an Introduction place, and I'll post there soon, but I just want to say I very, very much hope to be able to take the Hoodoo Magic course. I've made several orders, some of which I now see were a little incoherent LOL, but i hope they are indicative of the level of interest. I grew up in SW Arkansas back in the "Bad Old Days" of the '50s and 60s. I was so blessed to have been virtually raised by incredible African-American "nannies," ladies who worked for but were part of, in that so strange way that was common then, our family.

They loved me so much, and I know their prayers and love have been a major factor in bringing me to the understanding I now have--that I did not "miss" Africa--but that Africa and its American continuation came to me, even if I did not understand. I have so poignantly remembered them in just the last few days--touched them again in spirit, in truth. I can't begin to say how much i loved them.

My whole life has been flowing in this direction. I have only recently understood the magickal aspects of my own previous experience, and I come to this place with some major and very surpriseing experiences in the recent kit-bag

I feel so drawn to this tradition. I'll echo the sentiments of others: Ms. Cat, please take me as a student!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 am

To be eligible for the class, first one must establish themselves as a regular customer of Lucky Mojo - so just make sure that you order through there frequently, and in the meantime study all the pages that are made freely available through the Lucky Mojo site. When you feel ready for the class, then call the shop, tell them you want to enrol, and that you'd like to speak to Miss Cat. If she's available then (you may have to call back when she is), then she'll have some questions for you. If that goes well, then you can enrol in the course!

Best of luck. It's an amazing class!

~D~
#737G
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Brujita Angelical

Unread post by Brujita Angelical » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 am

I'd love to take this course!

I think the only thing that makes me nervous is the going into the grave yard part because the only grave yard i've passed had security guards (of course I know kids used to break in there at night so that why they might've closed it or put security there) so i dont know how i would walk in there and take some dirt without getting into trouble or getting a ticket or something of the sorts (if that happens). I really have to look into it before enrolling in the course. :)
Thank you, Archangel Michael for your constant protection.

MysticRootworker

Unread post by MysticRootworker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:40 am

Brujita-

Spring is coming and people will be going to their loved ones graves to take care of them. So you going in will not appear suspicious in any way. Surely you have more then one cemetary near you? I am fortunate because for as long as I can remember I have felt most at home in a cemetary! Strange I know. And I have one right across from me where my husband and baby are buried so I can go anytime. I have been there at night even. But like I said I feel comforted in a cemetary. I dont believe our people hang out there all the time- they probably just pop in when someone shows up. I mean when you can be ANYWHERE why would you stay in one place? lol

My mother and I actually visit three cemetaries for Memorial Day and "decorate" for infants that passed a hundred years ago. Babies that my great grandmother lost. It is just something that we do to honor my grandmother and great grandmother since they were the "keepers" of our family graves. Even if you dont "know" anyone there I bet there is a grave or two that could use some tender loving care and that the person it belongs to would be appreciative and you may be able to develop a relationship with them. I know I am weird like this but it really can be comforting to be there in the peace and quiet of a cemetary.

I too want to take Miss Cat's course. I just need to draw in the money for it and ask for admittance. Hopefully I will be accepted!

Don't let the cemetary thing hold you back! I bet it will be a good thing for you to continue your studies with Miss Cat.

Best of luck to you. (sorry for the long post!)

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:45 am

Brujita Angelical wrote:I think the only thing that makes me nervous is the going into the grave yard part
The easiest way around that is to go in the middle of the day, and bring flowers with you. That way you can get in with no problems and if people see you walking around, they will think you are simply walking to a loved ones grave to leave flowers. Also bring a small spoon and a baggie in your purse to dig and keep the dirt. And some coin for paying the grave too of course :)
HRCC Student #1559

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:59 am

You can also visit an old rural cemetary; many have no caretakers or security. I agree with HD; go in the daytime. It's not that hard to take a little dirt and leave a coin discreetly.

The assignments in the Course are not difficult to complete, but do take a little effort on your part. Stop thinking up reasons why you can't do it and start thinking about ways you can.

staklee

Unread post by staklee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 pm

I am very interested in taking this course, so far most of my studies and learning have been based in Witchcraft since I am a Witch (but not Wiccan) – from the outset I have to be clear that I’ve not yet bought anything from Lucky Mojo since I have only recently discovered the site so therefore as yet I don’t qualify to take the course but I did have a few questions:

I am Australian, is it possible for me to do this course?

I know Cat likes to talk to prospective students over the phone – is it possible to done by email as I live in Australia?

When it comes to talking to African Americans as part of the course I have a concern, I live in Australia (as I mentioned) but I also live out in the middle of nowhere in the country so I can honestly say that this part of the course would be difficult for me, is it possible to still do the course and pass without having to do that part or is there an alternative way around that part?

Just a few questions about this course, I am interested in learning more about Hoodoo and I find it interesting but just wanted to clear a few things up.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:03 am

You should call the shop staklee.

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:13 am

I am currently taking the course. I don't believe that being in Australia would make the course impossible. Other internationals have graduated. It may, however, require more reading and understanding on your part on certain topics of American (specifically African-American) history and culture. It's part if where the system originated and grew.

There are alternatives to the homework you referred to. Miss cat usually recommends that you don't give up on this homework so easily, suggesting alternatives. This is something that is covered in the course material and comes up often in the course's yahoo group, but you could talk to miss cat as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
HRCC Student #1339

AfricanSun

Unread post by AfricanSun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Thank you for the advice. I think I might begin by going through the hoodoo pages and educating myself a bit more. That was my intent with the hoodoo course in the first place. In this way I can avoid my mom's criticism and still maybe one day become a conjurer myself. Like killing two birds with one stone...

Missionary-Independent.org

Return to “Catherine's Correspondence Course and Apprenticeship Program”