Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Movies That Mention Hoodoo

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com
Sarafina
Forum Member

Re: Representations of Hoodoo in the Movie The Skeleton Key

Unread post by Sarafina » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:27 am

papagee_whitemojo wrote:Been thinking about this, Miss Cat. How about a "skeleton key" lucky mojo page? If they didn't follow through, I say go ahead and write about all the elements of the movie that were included based on your consultations.

On the flip side, you could also mention the elements that are not accurate.

Just a thought, but go ahead --- toot your own horn!

PapaGee
Excellent point. you should definitely consider this Miss Cat

dorothybaez
HRCC Student

Unread post by dorothybaez » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:50 pm

I agree. My mom says, "If you don't honk your own horn, nobody else is going to do it for you."
Student #1748
Thank you Jesus and Yemaya!

morgana05
Forum Member

Unread post by morgana05 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:32 pm

This happens to be one of my favorite movies, and I've recently started studying hoodoo and would've had no idea what to look for if I had not read through all of these comments. I also had no idea that Cat worked on the movie. That's amazing to hear, even if you didn't get the credit you deserved.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Movies with Hoodoo Mentions - Jessabelle and Voodoo Man

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi, Abigail Rose,

I watched the trailer and removed the link because it is not about hoodoo at all. It is a horror movie about white people enduring some sort of curse from a spirit. There are very brief intercuts of what appear to be black people performing a Voodoo ceremony (or being threatening; it is almost impossible to tell, even on a frame-by-frame viewing). The plot is fairly tyical of Anglo-American approaches to narratives of spiritual and locational curses. If it had been about hoodoo, we would have expected black people to be at the narrative center -- this movie is about white people and their cutlural mores.

By the way, it is my experience that most movies filmed by white directors in which hoodoo is alluded to or mentioned tend to present hoodoo in one of three ways:

1) Hoodoo is presented as the Haitian religion of Voodoo.

2) Hoodoo is presented as a form of magical attack on white people by black people (see "The Skeleton Key").

3) Hoodoo is presented as a magical system whereby black people assist white people who are cursed (see "Apprentice to Murder")

A film may also mingle two of the three elements. I suspect that "Jessebelle" will be found to mingle (1) and (3). Very rarely a white director will present hoodoo as part of the culture of black Americans which is not performed in reference to white Americans -- that is, neither used to attack them, nor used to cure them of an attack.

For a better look at hoodoo, see this link instead -- it is a clip about hoodoo in Maxton, North Carolina in 2009 and is taken from a movie that actually documents Voodoo. The two are distinguished and shown separately in the movie. The film maker is a German anthropologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3meQg_Q5Yg

In this clip we see a root doctor making a mojo, using easily identified John the Conqueror Roots and what seems to be Five Finger Grass, as well as a sachet powder and Court Case Oil.
catherine yronwode

magicmurphy
Forum Member
Re: Movies with Hoodoo Mentions - Jessabelle and Voodoo Man

Unread post by magicmurphy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks for this link, ms. cat -- I'm ordering the film right now. This will be useful. :)

Doc Murphy
St. Paul, MN

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate
Test/training post

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 am

Hello, Natstein,
Could you please tell me if you were in the movie: "Skeleton Key"?
I really liked that movie and thought that maybe you were in it because you are a Hoodoo practitioner
Miss Aida

Reason: I was not in that movie! Thanks! Training

veggiekiller88
HRCC Student
Re: Movies That Mention Hoodoo

Unread post by veggiekiller88 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:14 pm

That was a really interesting clip! Is there a reason why he smashed up the JTC roots?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Hello, veggiekiller88 ,

Miss cat wants to handle this subforum of Hoodoo in the news.

So, we will have to wait for her to see this post

Take care

LuckyLobo
Forum Member

Unread post by LuckyLobo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:42 am

May be a little bit of Blackhawk in Avenged 2015 amazon has it on instant video and free if you have prime .

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:12 pm

veggiekiller88,

It is quite common to smash up roots of all kinds to carry in a mojo. When a root is used whole it must either be very small to fit into a combination hand or it must be used solo as a pocket piece. We sell pre-crushed John the Conqueror Root chips for those who wish to add small pieces to a mojo or an oil.
catherine yronwode

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News”