Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Must We (and How Can We) Keep Rootwork Secret or Invisible?

Sparklegirl
Forum Member

Must We (and How Can We) Keep Rootwork Secret or Invisible?

Unread post by Sparklegirl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:44 pm

hi
I was wondering what advice you have on burning candles privately I still live with my parents :( and they would lose it if they saw me burning candles out in their house so I'm wondering is there a good way I could just burn them in my room and hide them somehow and if I did this would it ruin the work like if I was burning a candle a bit at a time

Jessica

p.s. is there anyway YOU could burn candle for me?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Burning Candles in Secret

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi, Jessica --

Hoodoo is a form of domestic folk magic, but lots of folks don't have full privacy to do spell-casting in their homes. They may live with their parents, like you do, or they may live in shared housing such as a dormitory, or -- tough as it is -- they may be performing a spell that is intended to directly affect a family member in the home, such as a spouse, child, or in-law. Pretty much every system of magical working can be adapted to function under conditions of secrecy, but candle-burning is the most difficult form of rootwork or conjure to hide, for obvious reasons.

One method used by many practitioners to conceal candle work is exactly what you described: You burn the candles a bit at a time and hide them between burnings.

When candles are burned a bit at a time -- which we call "burning in sections" -- they may be left up on the altar or hidden away between lightings. It is customary to burn them for at least 15 minutes at each session -- just long enough to get them going well and to spend some time over them in prayer or petition before putting them out. In order to keep one's link to the candles continuously strong during the switches from "on" time to "off" time, practitioners long ago developed two further traditions, "pinching them out" (for all candles) and "wrapping them up" (for candles that are hidden away).

In hoodoo, one oft-heard piece of advice is, "You should never blow a candle out if you want to return to it, because that ends the spell, but if you pinch it out, you can come back to it any time." This is a customary, but not compulsory, way to deal with candles that are to be burned in sections. When i say "customary but not compulsory," i mean that you may work differently, but you will be in the minority, since most hoodoo practitioners prefer to pinch out candles when a spell is ongoing and the candle must be stopped for a time.

To pinch out a candle, just lick your thumb and first finger and -- sffft! -- put out the wick. Or, you can keep a pretty metal candle snuffer at the altar (and it can do double-duty as a shaper for incense cones).

Pinching or snuffing out the light is done for all candles burned in sections -- that is, both for candles that will be left on the altar and for those that will be hidden away.

When hiding away candles or any other altar objects, it is the custom in hoodoo to wrap and tie them. This secures their spiritual energy, and marks them as still being in use. The most common way to wrap candles that are being burned in sections is to place them in a brown paper grocery bag and twist the top shut. They may also be rolled up in a flat piece of brown grocery bag paper and tied with cotton packaging twine.

So, as you can see, burning candles in sections does not "ruin the work." On the contrary, it is a common, practical, and useful way to work, and it is so often done that an entire set of terms and traditions has grown up around the custom of burning in sections.

In answer to your P.S., yes, you can have us set lights for you, but we only set the glass-encased vigil and novena lights, and i think that you will enjoy hoodoo more and learn to become a sharper practitioner if you try working candle spells on your own. Remember, too, if you are new to this, to be careful and safe with fire -- don't set lights near wind-blown curtains, nor where pets can knock them over.

Good luck in your conjurations.

cat yronwode,
Lucky Mojo Curio Co.
catherine yronwode

Malefic

Re: Burning Candles in Secret

Unread post by Malefic » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 pm

I might also suggest something I'd once heard as a way to conceal candle burning and magical workings: get a big box of something like tampons, or some other "private" item you can keep in the bathroom that others in the house will be unlikely to disturb. Empty out the box and fill it with all your magical supplies. You then perform your spells while you are alone and out of sight, in the bathroom; you could even multitask a shower or bath with candle burning by setting the lights someplace secure like the sink to burn while you do whatever it is you're going to do.
The other thing that's nice about this, is bathrooms are usually pretty fire-resistant and even if there's some kind of messy accident to clean up (like an exploding candle) people are less likely to inquire about what went on. Even the drippiest candle, I tell you, probably wouldn't compare to the mess at my place after I've attempted a home bikini-wax :oops: (And candle wax is probably easier to scrape off the floor...)

lmlvr

What if the Intended Target Suspects?

Unread post by lmlvr » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:07 am

What happens with the effectiveness of spells if the intended target suspects that there are work done on this person...?

Please advise me. Thank you :)

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: What if the Intended Target Suspects?

Unread post by Miss Bri » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:51 am

Well it really depends on whether the targeted person is taking measures to protect themselves against the magic you are doing. If they are (I would assume that they are) then it is really a test of your will and your magic against theirs, and for some workers, the will of the Divine.

If they are laying down strong, effective protection or actively trying to block or reverse what you are sending out to them then you may see the spell work not taking, being thwarted, not going through completely, and in the case of jinixing types of work your own life becoming less pleasant and negatively affected.

take care,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Literarylioness

Unread post by Literarylioness » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:04 pm

lmlvr wrote:What happens with the effectiveness of spells if the intended target suspects that there are work done on this person...?
If a person naturally protects themselves, it comes down to a battle of wills. If you are working on someone well-versed in magic, he or she probably naturally protects themselves.

Mary

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Concealing What You're Doing From Someone

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 pm

I wanted to know what is a good spell to do to block another practitioner from seeing your work. I know the firey wall of protection is great to protect your work but this would not hinder the person from seeing the spell you are doing. Any suggestions?
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Concealing What You're Doing From Someone

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:53 pm

There are a number of different approaches to doing an "invisibility spell." I would love to share some of them with you, but this is a busy day for me, and i cannot attend to answering such broad questions all day long.

The best way to use this forum board is to think of it not as a place to come and ask for free spells (we already have a huge free spells archive), but rather to use it as a place ask for help with the spells that you are currently working or thinking of working.

In other words, this is a forum for clients and customers of our shop, not a free class in magic.

Thanks for understanding.
catherine yronwode

lightofnirvana

Casting spell in presence of company

Unread post by lightofnirvana » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:23 am

Hi, i give my best wishes to all my hoodoo friends. i am in a bit unsure of a bottle spell i will be doing starting waning moon15th june. my family are coming around at the same time and i would like to know if it was ok it the candles were burned in presence of family in the same room, watching the procedure or simply being there, family as in sense, i have my cousin and her son stopping in the days i intend to do the spell.
the son is in teens and will not be bothered but my cousin will probably just watch. now i want to know if its ok to do this candle burning and other aspects of spell when you know there is other people who will actually see you doing it? does it make the spell weaker? i hope i dont sound stupid but i have learnt in some article of this matter that a spell shouldnt be ever disclosed or it loses power, knowing that all of us in the forum have disclosed what we are doing any way. help, suggestions anyone.

nati1

Re: Casting spell in presence of company

Unread post by nati1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 am

Best wishes to you to Lightofnirvana here is my opinion and suggestions.
I for one would NOT perform any spell/ritual in front of anyone that was not involved in the matter. I would not want any distractions or have any one ask questions as they are viewing what I was doing. I would also be leery of any negative energy in the room. Is there any way that it can be done early in the morning before they arrive? Maybe you can place your candle in the bedroom and not in a main traffic room. Yes, there is discussions of what is done, but there is no physical presence of anyone. We simply ask for guidance/help and suggestions for the correct procedure/tools and products from LM to make our work the best it can be. I may very well be alone with my opinion but it's just that my opinion. Good Luck in your Hoodoo endeavors.
Nat

lightofnirvana

Unread post by lightofnirvana » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:47 am

Thank you nati1 for your reply. now i just dont know how i will be able to do my break up spell. i have to burn the candle for 7 days. my cousin sister will be sharing the bedroom with me, so even early hours in the morning she will be there, the only place i can think of doing the break up spell is in the batroom, i will have to stay there for hours to let the candle burn to the point required as i will be burning 1 portion of 7 till i finish day 7 , life gets harder and difficult.....................thanks anyway...keep suggestions coming...God bless

nati1

Unread post by nati1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 am

Your Welcome, Is the candle free standing or labeled? If labeled you may want to turn the candle so the writing on the candle isn't exposed.. if free standing then just burn it... In my opinion the less people are aware of what one is doing the better (hope that makes sense)... if the bedroom doesn't work then you must be clever as to when to do your work without interruptions and distractions. Do you have a garage? maybe a group effort to where all your guest make breakfast (fun cooking together) and while they are occupied in the kitchen you can close the door to your room and do your work and enjoy the feast while the candle is burning. I would think that you will draw more attention to yourself if locked in the bathroom for hours. How long are your guest staying with you??? plan activities/outings for them and while they are gone do your work. I'm sure that we can come up with something so that is it neither hard or difficult.
Nat

lightofnirvana

Unread post by lightofnirvana » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:22 am

Thanks for the suggestions, my cousin is renting out a property to move near me permanantly, so until she settles down properly i will be seeing much of her. the break up candle i have is a figural candle, as you have said i will face the writing unexposed. the reason i was all worked up is because waning moon will be over by then and i will have to wait till next month. also could you clarify this nati1, is it ok to leave the candle burning in the room while i am enjoying my feast?
i have heard people say that the summer soltice coming up is a very powerful period. do you have any ideas what spells could be done in this period? as always thanks to every suggestions and keep it coming.....God bless

nati1

Unread post by nati1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:16 am

I responded and not sure what happened but I will post again (lol)
Once you light your candle and pray/concentrate and or meditate I see no problem in leaving the candle. As to the summer soltice someone with more experience may want to comment. If I felt an urgency in the work that had to be done, then it was done whether it was a waning/waxing moon. Just a thought but have you considered letting your guest know that you wish to be alone while you pray? God Bless to you
Nat

SilverStar

Unread post by SilverStar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:12 am

15th is a Monday, I heard that breakup spells are best to be started on Tuesdays.

happilydysphoric

Unread post by happilydysphoric » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:16 am

I think burning the candle in your bathroom is a good idea whether you have family visiting or not. Some people don't like to do destructive spells, like a break up, in their bedrooms. Good luck!

lmlvr

Unread post by lmlvr » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:29 pm

It's sort of belated but thank you Bri and literarylioness for your answers.

Literarylioness

Unread post by Literarylioness » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:22 pm

lmlvr wrote:It's sort of belated but thank you Bri and literarylioness for your answers.
What happened? Did the target know?

Mary

spellyshelly

can the target sense they are being worked on

Unread post by spellyshelly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi

I have been working on my target for a while now, he is not from a hoodoo background and he is uneducated on this subject, however he has mentioned a few times as a i suppose "joke" accusing me of having a doll of him that I may be working on. I have not yet used a doll for the situation, but I am just wondering if he can sense that I am working on him and is this a good or bad sign? or whether it means anything at all?

MaJiG_GarDen

Re: can the target sense they are being worked on

Unread post by MaJiG_GarDen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:15 pm

hey shelly,

i've had similar experience where my ''target'' did say the same thing .. in fact he said 'i bet you have a voodoo doll' not directly to me however, but i read the comment and this was during the time when I began my conjure.
anyways I also wanted to know whether some people can sense they are influenced by magic, cause I have read that some people are more receptive to such things..

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Some people can tell if they are being worked on. If it's another practitioner they likely will figure it out really quickly. If they are not, they may subconsciously pick up on it and begin resisting.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

spellyshelly

Unread post by spellyshelly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:52 pm

I see, so is there anything that can be done to make them unable to resist?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Depends on what their defenses are like. You would want to do or get a reading to determine the best way to move forward. Actually doing a divination beforehand can be a real trouble-shooter right out of the gate.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:36 pm

I agree with Devi. I dont know if its the target knowing that someone is doing hoodoo on them, BUT if the target has been influenced to think about you and is mad at you...they may resist those thoughts aka the work. I dont think its a matter of someone is doing hoodoo on their target and the target just suddenly knowing. But the target might be alert to the fact that they are being flooded with thoughts of you...doesnt want you, and begins resisting. Furthermore, the target might just be resistant by nature.

I would recommend doing some work to weaken the client like with poppy seeds. Poppy seeds are not only for confusion but they are good for weaking as well. I would use those along with some bend over, or domination oil/powder to dominate them into making them weak into lowering their defenses.

When you are doing work for a long time, I suggest keeping some kind of record of what you are doing....and when you began it and ended it. I am not saying constantly look at your journal thinking "gosh I did this step a while ago" its not meant to serve as a timer but just simply so you can know what is working and not working. Furthermore, you need to make sure you are addressing the PROBLEM or ISSUE. If you are doing reconcilation work, but there is another person with your target...its going to make it difficult because there is another dynamic there that is going to influence your target. OR if you are doing some come to me work and the person is still hostile and pissed off at you...then you need to address that.

Also, do not keep doing the same spells over and over again. You need to switch it up, and attack from another oil. Lastly, make sure you are cleansing yourself regardless if you are doing work that is positive or cursing. You need to do this and take a rest as needed. And when you sense you have hit a road block after a considerable amount of time then get a reading and make sure you ask "what spellwork needs to be done to see movement, or what steps needed to be done on my target to get past this road block" something like that need to be asked.

Also, Ive notice some people like to skip steps or think they can do one spell and everything is going to be fine. Remember you need to approach this as a step by step thing. Sometimes a step needs to be done in order to help move the work along avoiding certain steps can be a waste of time and money. And then you might have to start all over again. Most work starts with a reading, and it is crucial that you get one. If you do not, it could lead your work to be a hit or miss, and you are operating in the dark.

hello

Unread post by hello » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 pm

I sensed when my friend tried to do a spell on me, I called her up on it until she admitted it...I don't know if it's because of the constant thoughts and dreams i had about her, but I just knew she had done something, i had this feeling like she had...maybe your target is experiencing the same things...

Oh and this might sound strange but when i got really fed up with her doing the spells (before i confronted her about it in person) in one of my dreams that i had about her, I pushed my friend and told her "NO! that's enough, stop it! You are not welcomed anymore!" and i pushed her into this white light and from that moment forward, the thoughts and dreams about her, stopped....

Brujero05

Unread post by Brujero05 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Those who are naturally intuitive will sense it. There is nothing you can do to "hide" it. You are working with energy. The good news that if they can sense the energy, they spell is working because it has reached the target. The only thing is to keep on working. I would say becareful about your target sending the energy back to you. Be most cautious.

kmew1315
Forum Member

Unread post by kmew1315 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Brujero05 wrote:The good news that if they can sense the energy, they spell is working because it has reached the target.
lol. That's the reason that I was reading this kinda wishing that something like that would happen to me.
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

Literarylioness

Unread post by Literarylioness » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:24 pm

I do believe people pick-up on the work, but that should not deter anyone. Snakes can't resist snake charmers. I don't even think about it.
I think most people have to really think of the work they are trying to do. If you are doing love work, you will fall more in love with the target. It is quite addictive.

As far as cursing work is concerned, yes keep clean, but if the target is powerfully protected, you may have bit off more than you can chew. This is especially true when trying to break-up marriages. A lot of workers won't touch that, because of how tricky that is and how dirty it is.

Mary

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Even people who do not believe in magick can sometimes pick up various vibes and subconsciously feel that something may be going on. They usually aren't overly alarmed, but may wonder. If they are a practitioner they usually know when someone is working on them. I know that personally I've become sensitive enough that I know when someone is trying to look for me when I wish not to be found, or I sense when someone's thoughts turn towards me sometimes.

I don't know if I agree about the sentiment of being unable to hide your work. You may not always be able to keep that person from sensing something's up, but you can certainly limit their ability to perceive that you are doing work on them. Stars' suggestion of poppy seeds is a good one for crossing and controlling work. It can be used to weaken the mind and trip it up about a subject, but I would be adverse to use it on a love target. If this is a love work than you can gently wrap a small piece of silk or red cloth (try for something slighly transparent) around his doll baby while sweetly tell him that he can no longer perceive that you are doing work on him. In harsher work you simply change the color of the silk and be more firm in your approach, maybe even stick pins in the eyes.

If this is love work, don't worry too much about being perceived. Sometimes the magick works stronger when the subconscious mind is lulled by sensing sweet energy flowing towards it.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Astrophel
Forum Member

Unread post by Astrophel » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Some guy was cursing me once and I knew exactly what was going on, because my mind was being invaded with emotions and thoughts entirely alien to my nature, so it was OBVIOUSLY an outside influence. I called him on it, he said he would stop, but it was clear that he had most certainly not stopped and I called him on it again - he admitted that he had gotten some friends to do the work instead while he sat with his hands folded, and thought this was clever. You bet I retaliated, though. ;)

In this case it was incredibly obvious, even after I thought it should have stopped. I imagine love work would be much the same. If you find yourself inexplicably attracted to someone you've had no interest in previously, well, wouldn't you suspect something?

snake

Unread post by snake » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Once, someone I was working on started acting really irrationally in the particular situation that I was working. He obviously didn't know that I was doing anything, but he was clearly being effected by the work and resisting it. I used a ton of confusion oil, but I decided that domination was just not the way to go with this guy so I switched to a honey jar.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:46 pm

I think working on someone that is knowledgeable about magic or hoodoo is TOTALLY different than someone that has not clue. I mean I have a friend who does not do magic but he knows when something is up. But someone that doesnt have a clue and is not in contact with someone that is knowledgeable about magic is probably not going to suspect its magic. They are just going to think something weird is going on, and then they are probably going to resist. If you pick at the person long enough and chop down that resistance...you can accomplish your goal. It is just going to take more than a spell kit, or some more work like road opener, banishing work, or domination work.

skyme714

Invisibility spell

Unread post by skyme714 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi all,

I saw a reference to invisibility spell few times on this forum, but not the actual spell. Can somebody please share more info on this, or is there a spell kit for it to use?
I know that Law Keep Away spell keeps the Law away, but what about in general?

Thank you.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Invisibility spell

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

There are amulets that hide your spiritual presence but physical humph! and I do not think there is a kit available but call the shop if no one responds. Also I have seen reference to it as well.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Jwmcclin, what does it mean when amulet hides your spiritual presense?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Well, it can mean shielding you from detection when you are doing magical work, or when you are out of body (if you do that kind of work).

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Im sorry skyme714; Devi responded (as I would have)

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Thank you Devi and jwmcclin! OBE is awesome, Im planning to work on it more. I tried once and I kinda got scared when I felt it coming :lol:

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Physical invisibility is difficult to acheive and the methods for it require years and years of preparation and training to acheive. In hoodoo only the black cat bone spell seems to afford one physical invisibility, though there are other means to keep yourself from being noticed and hide your self from people's "sight."

Look at the various amulets that LM has that can help accomplish this goal. You can wear an Indian Head Penny which is used for more than keeping the law away. It can be used as a lookout and also keep people's sight away from you. This can afford a form of invisibility. Banishing products can help people blend in by Banishing people's attention. Also look into Cat's Eyes.

Psychic invisibility is about being beneath people's perceptions. If you blend in well enough, keep people from perceiving your presence, you acheive a form of invisibility. In fact many "invisibility spells" used by the neopagan movment along with more modern energy-based systems try to achieve this state of blending in.

I've used several of these methods and their variations along with other things for similar effects.

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Thank you ConjureMan, I will take a note on that!

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:56 pm

I made an invisibilty spell, and it's pretty simple.

You need some gauzey shimery fabric and some personal concerns. You can put the concerns into a doll baby orinto a bottle with protective herbs, whatever works for you. Write a petition that states that you want to be hidden fromt he eyes of your enemies. Load petition into bottle/sew petition into doll baby. Cover the doll baby/bottle with the gauze. You've essentially hidden your essence by covering it with a shimering veil that can't properly be seen through. You can burn candles to aid the effect, or you can use protection oil on the gauze. Keep the jar/doll baby wrapped up for as long as you want to remain 'invisible'.

I do have others, but that one is the simplest by far. Also, the others aren't based on Hoodoo or similar traditions, so you would need to PM me if you were interested.

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Thank you, NotDorianGray! I liked this one! I assume you can also write in the petition a specific person or group of people, right?

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Absolutely. It's adaptable. Hence deliberate vagueness of spell description.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:36 pm

Sage smoke and Tobacco smoke can work to form a protective barrier of invisibility. If you create a protection jar blow some smoke into it while praying that the smoke obscure the sight of others seeking you out.

You can also work with Black Mustard Seeds and Poppy Seeds. While they don't create invisibility, they do create confusion among those seeking you and can trip them up.

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:07 am

Thank you ConjureMan! These are good ideas! I'll def take a note.

wraithklewn
HRCC Graduate
when is it ok to discuss dreams?

Unread post by wraithklewn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 pm

when is it ok to share a dream youve had when it factors in current "work"? i want to share it with one person but if its not ok to do as to ruin whats goin on i wont. wow..strangest dream ive ever ever ever had!!
HRCC Graduate # 1684G
Thank you St. Michael for your fierce protection

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: when is it ok to discuss dreams?

Unread post by Miss Bri » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:19 am

Dream sharing and talking about dreams is quite common in conjure, African-American, and some Native American cultures. Individual's are careful about who they share dreams with--typically its friends, family, and then perhaps spiritual leaders/teachers if the dream seems to have a spiritual significance.
Good luck,
Bri

wraithklewn
HRCC Graduate
Re: when is it ok to discuss dreams?

Unread post by wraithklewn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Thank you Miss Bri for setting me straight on the situation. i got this dream on the 3rd day of my begining work that i mentioned to you. there were alot of positive things in it.. and some confusing things as well.
HRCC Graduate # 1684G
Thank you St. Michael for your fierce protection

net182

When you do magic, keep it to yourself.

Unread post by net182 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:32 am

I would like to toss in my two cents on the subject of keeping quiet about your magical workings.

I was buying some lottery tickets and I was standing behind a woman.
She gave the clerk a few tickets and asked him to scan them to see if they were winners.
I hear the click of the terminal and know that sound. No winner. He tells her, “Sorry no winners on these.”
She looks at me and says rather annoyed “I NEVER win anything.”

I should have just said, “Better luck next time” but I said “I do. I win all the time.”

I think my response was, in my mind a way to block those bad vibes that she was giving off since lately I had been winning something on every draw. (two thumbs up to a lucky mojo Mojo Bag for giving me a boost)

What happened next blew my mind.
She glared at me and said “WELL that must be NICE FOR YOU!”
She grabbed her cigarettes and turned and stormed out of the store.
A guy in line behind me said, “Wow, you pushed her button!”
As I left the store, I saw her sitting in her car with the window down glaring at me.
I turned to walk away and she yelled at me her, voice filled with contempt, “A**HOLE!”

I laughed all the way back to my office.

I am sure there are many ways to interpret what happened, but my feeling is “keep it to yourself.”

I feel the next scenario is even more pointed in the “keep it to yourself category”.

I have read that when you do a magical working and have success that you should thank all who helped you in whatever way you feel is appropriate.

I think we have seen are those little classified ads that say “thank you St. Jude for prayers answered”.

So I decided to post an online “thank you” ad in a newspaper.
This was a free service, most papers offer them.

It was short but did mention that I used magic to win money.

I never thought to go back and look at it. The website I used was set up so any post could be replied to.

A week later I wanted to post again because I had won again, and when I went back I saw there were over a hundred replies to my post.

Every reply was filled with rage.
Every reply was an insult.
The first 15 or so were directed at me and then the thread started to attack one another.

I was floored…

But I did laugh.

I felt that I had a look into the part of human nature that had been referred to as “crabs in a bucket”.

If you have ever been crabbing you have seen this in action.
You catch a bunch of crabs and put them in a bucket to take home.
They try to escape. But can’t because when one crab starts to get out, another crab grabs it to escape but all he does is pull that crab back down.

I don’t want to open a can of psychological worms with all this. I just wanted to remind all of you, all of us, that no matter what magic you do, no matter what spell you weave, keep it to yourself or in the group.

That way you don’t have to deal with the bad vibes that almost certainly will be directed at you from all those crabs.

Peace…

MightyAphrodite

Re: When you do magic, keep it to yourself.

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:17 am

net182 wrote:I felt that I had a look into the part of human nature that had been referred to as “crabs in a bucket”.
As I was reading your story, I was thinking "yeah, the crabs in a bucket" reactions. Then you pointed out that very thing.

If you're a naturally enthusiastic and positive person, one wants to share good news, maybe hoping that it becomes an inspiration, too. Sometimes it does. But other times, your joy makes other people aware of their own pain and they want to clobber you. Urgh. Your stories are a good reminder about the risk of sharing: that you might have to deal with a bunch of negative energy thrown at you.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:49 am

That I agree with...

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:04 pm

If you publish a note of thanks, you don't need to tell the reason.

I have had some unbelievable successes, but don't usually share them. What worked for me may not work for another. Too many variables, such as timing, natural ability, faith, proper tools and ingredients, and unknown factors.

The "crabs in a bucket" idea is so true. Many people hate those who are lucky, who enjoy life, and refuse to live under a lot of ridiculous restrictions.

There are also those of the Western rationalistic viewpoint that love to look down on anyone who believes in magic or in a religion that accepts the reality of miracles. They believe that only those things that can be perceived with the five senses and machines are real and that magic and religion are delusions and superstition. Many secretly believe in the supernatural, especially in times of crisis, but are too afraid of ridicule to admit it.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:55 am

I have always been taught to keep my magical successes to myself. I even tend to weed out testimonials for magical work and focus more on testimonials for readings. Bragging about magical successes can cause jealousy, strife, and definitely backfire, very true words!
take care,
Bri

Girlfriend

Unread post by Girlfriend » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:41 pm

I can see your point about being hesitant to share success, but isn't it good to share with others what has worked for you, so that others might try it themselves? That is part of the reason I'm here on this forum is to find out what conjure tricks have worked for others. I understand about bad vibes and all, but hope others will share so that I might also succeed.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Girlfriend wrote:I can see your point about being hesitant to share success, but isn't it good to share with others what has worked for you, so that others might try it themselves? That is part of the reason I'm here on this forum is to find out what conjure tricks have worked for others. I understand about bad vibes and all, but hope others will share so that I might also succeed.
Absolutely. There is a big difference between saying "hey, you know, try putting some five finger grass in that honey jar, it might make a big difference!" and saying "You know when I started putting five finger grass in my honey jars I got everything I wanted and then some, I started casting more powerful and difficult spells and now I am so popular that I don't have enough time to shower!" See the difference? We want to provide useful tips and tricks for one another here, but bragging is just not advised for your own sake, and as always your mileage may vary.

take care,
Bri

Moxy
Forum Member

Unread post by Moxy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:01 pm

Great post, thanks for sharing. I agree privacy is so important these days! Especially in this realm. As my Aunt would say 'loose lips sink ships'.
Thank you St. Martha!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Moxy wrote:Great post, thanks for sharing. I agree privacy is so important these days! Especially in this realm. As my Aunt would say 'loose lips sink ships'.
I couldn't have said it better! My thoughts exactly! Bravo!
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

lachina

Unread post by lachina » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:09 pm

i can definately add my own 2c to this post. even with my husband i don't share when i'm working on something. i tried sharing once BEFORE i did the work and it totally backfired, didn't work. he doesn't believe in magic and his negativity ruined my work. i still tell him but only AFTER.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:46 am

Even if people aren't involved in spellcasting, magic, prayer, etc., their negative thoughts can work against you. Jealousy and envy are just part of human nature, and talking about specific work and the great successes one has had is bound to stir that up.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

sweetie

Unread post by sweetie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Mama Micki wrote:Even if people aren't involved in spellcasting, magic, prayer, etc., their negative thoughts can work against you. Jealousy and envy are just part of human nature, and talking about specific work and the great successes one has had is bound to stir that up.
Exactly my thought. The evil eye is all about coveting what someone else has and then drying it up out of jealousy, and it's rarely done on purpose-- I know it's not a hoodoo concept but I think a little caution is a good thing to avoid trouble all the same.

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”