Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

2009: May 9-10 MISC Hoodoo Heritage Festival Workshops

Annual May workshops at MISC, instructing hoodoo, ecumenical religious practices, and folk magic traditions from around the world.
Lara2

2009: May 9-10 MISC Hoodoo Heritage Festival Workshops

Unread post by Lara2 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:19 am

We'd love to know if you are planning to attend the workshop. Feel free to post below and let us know if we'll be seeing you.

May 9-10 Lucky Mojo Party and Workshop Schedule.
We are pleased to announce the final schedule for the May 9-10 Party and Workshop. The workshop will open at 10:30 am, with classes beginning at 11:00 am. Most classes will run 45 mins with a 15 minute break between each class. The workshops will conclude at 4:30 PM each day -- the party will continue till the last guest leaves. Food and Drink will be available throughout both days. (Those wishing to bring a dish for the potluck are encouraged to do so.)

The store will be open on both days for anyone wishing to get some shopping done. Please join us.

Saturday, May 9th

11:00 AM: Oil Lamps with Charles Porterfield ($10)
Charles Porterfield will give a workshop on the use of Oil Lamps and other forms of Light in hoodoo, and will guide attendees in the preparation of a miniature functional oil lamp they can take home with them and use.

12:00 PM: Tea Leaf Reading with cat yronwode ($25)
This workshop will cover the history and techniques of this traditional form of divination; participants will each receive a genuine fortune telling teacup of their own and will practice their skills on one another.

1:00 PM: Perfumes & Incense with James Dotson ($15)
James Dotson will instruct participants on Perfumes and Incense, their history, how aromatic and energetically active scent formulas are designed, and how they are used in conjure. Students will receive samples of several types of traditional spiritual and magical incenses and will make a simple incense to take home for personal use.

2:00 PM: Practical Money Spells with Starr Casas ($25)
Starr Casas will be teaching a workshop on Practical Money Magic Spells, including how to burn candles, use oils, and make mojo hands for prosperity, and attendees will each receive a signed copy of her popular book on money magic to take home.

3:00 PM: How to Make a Portable Altar with Carin Huber ($20)
Carin Huber has promised to engage attendees with a crafty, artistic, hands-on presentation called How to Make a Portable Altar; all materials will be supplied, and the results should be spectacular.

Party attendance is absolutely FREE!

Sunday, May 10th

11:00 AM: Jack Ball Workshop with catherine yronwode ($20)
A special Jack Balls workshop will be held on Sunday for Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course graduates only. This is a 1:45 hour class.

1:00 PM: Footwashing with Starr Casas & Lara Rivera ($10)
Starr and Lara will be demonstrating how to do a spiritual foot washing during this workshop. Attendees will partner up and get hands-on experience. The class is limited to the first 20 people.

2:00 PM: Cursing with Baby Dolls with Robin York
Robin York will conduct one of her famed workshops on Cursing with Doll Babies -- among the most popular and most-requested topics in hoodoo -- and students will prepare a cursing doll and learn how to use it on an enemy.

3:00 PM: Container and Bottle Spells with Lara Rivera ($20)
Lara Rivera will conduct a workshop on Bottle Spells and Container Spells, and each attendee will participate in creating a bottle spell to take home and use.

Party attendance is absolutely FREE!

misterkurtis

Re: May 9th and 10th Workshop: Will you be coming?

Unread post by misterkurtis » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:12 pm

I'll be there! Can't wait.

leslieselene

Unread post by leslieselene » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:25 pm

i'm psyched about the tea leaf reading seminar! totally coming. two or three of us. thanks!!

J Simulcik

Unread post by J Simulcik » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Unfortunately work will not allow me to attend this year, though you had better believe I'm putting in EARLY for 2010!

Lukianos

Unread post by Lukianos » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi Lara,
Lara wrote:We'd love to know if you are planning to attend the workshop. Feel free to post below and let us know if we'll be seeing you.
I'm happy to say that, yes, I will be attending.

Best regards,

Edward

Literarylioness

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

No, I will not be there this year. I have finals, finals, and more finals coming up. I will be there on May 4 and 6 to finish up my apprenticeship.

Mary

Alma

Unread post by Alma » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi Kat and everyone,

I'm planing on coming to the open house and some of the workshops, including Kat's tea leave reading. A lot of other workshops look good. I think George will be with me too.

Looking forward to being there.

Alma Gunn

Turnsteel

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Oh I wish I could. But sadly I'm stuck in New England for the foreseeable future.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:14 pm

I will be there!
Along with my mom :-)
And I am so looking forward to it.

Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

snake

Unread post by snake » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:57 pm

I wish! I'm going to be in Ohio that weekend. I'm also missing the Stanford pow wow that weekend. I hope hope hope the tea leaf reading workshop will be presented again some time. I've been trying to pick up the skill and I haven't found any other tea leaf readers.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:12 am

Whether i ever give the tea leaf reading workshop again will depend on how many tea cups i have left next year. Each attendee takes home a fortune telling tea cup!
catherine yronwode

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 am

catherineyronwode wrote:Whether i ever give the tea leaf reading workshop again will depend on how many tea cups i have left next year. Each attendee takes home a fortune telling tea cup!
Miss cat--or anyone else who knows--
Can we register in advance for the workshops or do we sign up the day of?

Thanks,
Bri

Dr_E_
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Dr_E_ » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:36 pm

I definitely want to come, I just need to figure out the most cost-effective way to get there from Southern California. I'd rather fly than drive, but I know there's no airport near Forestville. Does anyone have a good suggestion? Maybe fly into Oakland and rent a car and drive from there?

-Eddy Gutierrez
#1266G
Dr. E. - AIRR Member and Graduate of H.R.C.C. #1266G

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:39 pm

There is a small airport in Santa Rosa, but i don;t receommend it -- most people fly to Oakland or San francicsco and rent a car.
catherine yronwode

heathernijoli

Unread post by heathernijoli » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:22 am

I am considering this trip but trying to iron out details of a place to stay, etc. It kind of snuck up on me. I thought it was farther away than it is!

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm going to come on at least one of the days. I have friends that might want to come too, but they have to drive from far away. So we're all waiting for the full schedule before we can really commit. Are you posting that here?

heathernijoli

Unread post by heathernijoli » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:42 am

Would love to see that, as well.

Anyone aware of last minute flight options or deals?

lil'jessi

Unread post by lil'jessi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:53 pm

i will see you up there! i am soooo excited.

misterkurtis

Unread post by misterkurtis » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:02 pm

How much is the baby doll workshop?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:12 pm

The cost of the doll baby workshop is TBA. Sorry for the delay on that information.
catherine yronwode

Tolis
HRCC Student

Unread post by Tolis » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi Cat and everyone!

I'd love to attend, but I am living so far away. I am just thinking if there was a kind of telemeeting for the overseas attendees, or even a video recording of the workshops.
How technology could help those who are living far away?

Tolis

psychictarotparlour

Unread post by psychictarotparlour » Fri May 01, 2009 12:40 am

Yes, I am coming... and glad you are starting at 11:00 so I don't have to wake up too early :shock: (3 1/2 hour drive). This is my "mothers day" get away!
I will attend most (if not all) workshops. Do I sign up prior to workshops or on site?

Marin #1259(G)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed May 06, 2009 3:52 pm

The workshop schedule, along with the cost of each workshop, was mailed to everyone on the Lucky Mojo Newsletter email lsit a few days ago. If you are not on our email list but what to have the information, you can read the archived newsletter here:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs00 ... 09533.html

Also, in a wonderful last minute development, Edward Knapp (ELKnapp on this forum), who has come all the way from Baltimore, will be presenting a reprise of his hoodoo-based ritual art installation, "Drink Your Sins / Drink Your Prayers" in which participants are guided through the process of writing out a petiton, either for the remission of a specific sin or for the granting of a specific prayer, then dissolving the petition text in an appropriately compounded herbal potion, and drinking the potion. This Saturday party installation is FREE, and Edward is brewing up 5 sins and 5 corresponding prayers for guests to imbibe. I am very grateful to him for binging this unqiue fusion of traditional hoodoo and performance art to California for our enjoyment, education, and spiritual benefit.
catherine yronwode

JUDY

Unread post by JUDY » Wed May 06, 2009 4:43 pm

Yes for both days unless something unforseen happens. Both classes I'm interested in start at 2:00 PM. See you then.

Judy Teichert - 1426

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu May 07, 2009 8:17 am

Great -- i look forward to seeing you again, Judy!
catherine yronwode

phoenix27

Unread post by phoenix27 » Fri May 08, 2009 2:10 am

This sounds like this is going to be a fun and informative workshop day. I'll make it next year, since i'm from the NYC.

Dr.CalamusSweetflag

Unread post by Dr.CalamusSweetflag » Fri May 08, 2009 7:41 am

I plan to attend both days (unless something comes up :o )

I am interested in the following workshops:

Saturday:
Tea Leaf Reading with cat yronwode,
Practical Money Spells with Starr Casas,
How to Make a Portable Altar with Carin Huber,

Sunday:
Jack Ball Workshop with catherine yronwode,
Cursing with Baby Dolls with Robin York,
Container and Bottle Spells with Lara Rivera,

Susandiamond

Unread post by Susandiamond » Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 am

I will be there on Sunday. Looking forward to cat's workshop!
-Susan Diamond

Dr.CalamusSweetflag

Unread post by Dr.CalamusSweetflag » Fri May 08, 2009 10:50 am

Will there be designated parking close by cat's property. Last I remember several cars could fit in the long, up hill, drive way but other than that where else can we park down on the main road without being towed or ticketed?

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Fri May 08, 2009 12:15 pm

I definitely want to attend the tea leaf reading workshop tomorrow!

Also, Edward's installation sounds like the coolest thing ever. I want in on that! Is it just an ongoing thing thru the day, or at a specific time?

NyteMuse

Unread post by NyteMuse » Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

I'm planning on coming up for Saturday, and hoping to go to tea leaf reading, oils, and money magic (hopehopehope there isn't a max limit for any of them). If anyone sees this who knows tonight, can the classes be paid for with credit card or check, or is it cash-only?

rickloftus

Unread post by rickloftus » Fri May 08, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi, by very weird and good luck, I will be able to attend on Saturday and will probably do at least a couple of the classes; I finish a medical training at noon in Guerneville so we will there shortly after that. See you all then! -Rick Loftus

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat May 09, 2009 3:42 am

Hey, Rick -- we look forward to seeing you!

We are just a few hours away from opening the day's festivities, and, typically, i can't sleep, so here i am, typing away.

It has been an amazing week so far of teaching and preparation for the party. On Monday, Wedb\nesday, and Friday i taught graduate-level apprenticeship classes to a wonderful crew of students, including our board moderator Lara and her friend Charles, who had come all the way from Texas to attend.

The apprenticeship classes comprise 40 hours per week for 3 weeks, during which i take course gaduates through 9 basic topics of work, at the rate of three topics pr week.

I give about 4 or 5 hours of lecture per day on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Each lecture is followed by 3 to 11 hours of supervised hands-on work. The apprenticeship is FREE -- but graduates pay by working all those hours -- about 25 hours total per week -- during which they put the lessons into practice by making products for the shop, cleaning my house, or helping me out in other ways.

This week the 3 topics featured for Apprentices were the classes on Herbs, Candles, and Special Washes and Waters. On Wednesday, my wonderful student Mary -- known on the Lucky Mojo forums as board moderator Literary Lioness -- attended the last two apprenticeship days that she needed in order to earn her Apprenticeship certificate. Congratulations, Mary! On Friday, my friend James sat in on the Special Waters and Washes lecture, which put me on my toes, as he is an extremely knowledgable colleague and will be teaching the Perfumes and Incenses workshop on Saturday.

During this busy week Lara and Charles, joined by our handyman friend Don and by Edward from Baltimore -- the Lucky Mojo forum board moderator ELKnapp (who will be presenting his hoodoo performance art piece "Drink Your Sins / Drink Your Prayers" at the workshop) -- kept me from going insane or melting by taking complete charge of all the cleaning, sweeping, shopping, and preparing the grounds here for the party. Huge "thank-yous" are due to them for their heroic efforts to rescue me from my ever-growing piles of paper and to make the place presentable.

Then, tonight, we held our monthly Homework Party. This is the usual pizza-party event at which we grade the homework of students. I didn't keep score -- that's my husband nagasiva's job and he will make announcements in the course student's private online group about that -- but there were 13 folks in attendence, and we had a large number of gratudates tonight, including Lucky Mojo shop staffers Ian and Elvyra, student Lil Jessie, and the healer and herbalist Brenda, who came all the way from Texas to see us while also visiting her daughter Briana -- the Texas-born rootworker known on the Lucky Mojo forum as board moderator Miss Bri.

If you have noticed that the word "Texas" appears a lot in the preceding paragraphs, you are on target. Tomorrow Starr will arrive here from Texas to visit and to teach us all a workshop class on how to do money magic. Texan Lara will teach a workshop on container spells. Texan Prof. Porterfield (that's Charles!) will teach a course on oil lamps -- and will raffle off an incredible Mason jar oil lamp of his own creation and design. Ms. Robin, who is going to teach a workshop on cursing with doll babies, was at tonight's Homework Party, too; y'all know her for her famous gambling spell, seen online in Hoodoo in Theory and Practice, and although she is a Californian, she has family in Marshall, Texas. In addition, my dear friend, colleague, co-conspirator, and course graduate Fred, a transpanted Texan, will join us for the party tomorrow.

So that's this year's Hidden Party Theme: Texas.

Well, i'd better get back to bed now, so i can get up in the morning and have fun.

To all of you who are planning to drop by for the party or the workshops or both -- we'll see you when you get here!

And to all of you who couldn't make it this year, just remember, we do this every May, so think about it for next year.

Nighty night.
catherine yronwode

misterkurtis

Unread post by misterkurtis » Mon May 11, 2009 11:56 am

Cat and all the staff and teachers and anyone else who helped out with the weekend,

I had a great time this weekend. I learned a lot and met lots of nice people. Thanks for putting this on.

Cat, I hope you had a great birthday and got to spend some time with your family.

Kyra2

2009 MISC Workshops (May 7-8, Forestville)

Unread post by Kyra2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:38 am

Good day everyone,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question. It seemed to be the best fit.

My husband and I will be going to visit my family in CA in November. He's not seen much of CA. We're flying into SFO so that we can drive down the coast and see Muir Woods, Hearst Castle, Solvang, etc... on our way to Orange county and the family.

I am hoping to be able to make a side trip to LM. I see it is about 1.5 hours north of the airport. Are there any accommodations that you can recommend in the Forestville area? We'd be looking at staying 1-2 nights.

Also are there any events being hosted at LM on Saturday, November 21, 2009?

Many thanks and blessings.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: Accomodations in the area

Unread post by Miss Bri » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi there,

If you go up to Lucky Mojo the best place to look for accommodations will be the small town of Forestville where the store is located or in the neighboring town of Sebastapol or the neighboring city Santa Rosa.

The last time I was up there for the weekend I stayed at a days inn in Santa Rosa and it was all of ten minutes away from the shop :-)

Also, Muir Woods is on your way to Lucky Mojo, so if you were planning to stop there that will make it even more convenient.

take care,
Bri

Kyra2

Unread post by Kyra2 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:53 am

Thanks Bri!

We are planning on visiting Muir Woods. I haven't been there since I was a child. Looking forward to visiting with the Redwoods again.

shyguy

Unread post by shyguy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:40 pm

I was reading this forum and I cant help myself, I have to say that I would love to see the worlds smallest church. :) Praying there must be such an experience and of course not to mention visiting the shop. ;)

saramagnuson
HRCC Student

Unread post by saramagnuson » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:39 am

Kyra,

I live in San Francisco and go up to LM a couple times a year. The town of Guerneville is also very close by and has several cozy places to stay. I'm sure you've already made your arrangements by now, but Guerneville is worth a visit. It's a small town on the Russian River and November is not the high point of the season there, but Armstrong Redwood State park is an amazing place to visit and the town itself has a lot of good energy.

It's also a pretty short, but very, very beautiful drive between Forestville and Guerneville on CA-116.

Have fun!
Sara Magnuson

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:27 am

Russian River Studios is a nice, cheap place to stay in Guerneville. I would no stay in Santa Rosa if you paid me!

We have no special plans for November 21, but plenty of various shop folks will be on board and can show you around and give you the "grand tour."
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:23 am

I encourage anyone in the area to spend some days getting lost around Forestville/Guerneville. Beautiful, peaceful, friendly and relaxing areas. I feel at my highest good when I am there.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

absynthia

Unread post by absynthia » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:06 am

Yes, I will be there and will attend some classes, including the tealeaf reading class, and the perfumes and incense class, and the party.

kmew1315

Unread post by kmew1315 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 am

absynthia wrote:Yes, I will be there and will attend some classes, including the tealeaf reading class, and the perfumes and incense class, and the party.
I have no idea if they're doing the same thing this year or not, but this thread is from last year.
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

absynthia

Unread post by absynthia » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:24 pm

Yes, I will be coming, and plan to attend Tea Leaf readings with Cat, Perfumes with James, and possibly Portable alters with Carin and Container bottle spells with Lara.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 am

This thread should be locked to avoid confusion between last year's workshop and this year's. There is already a thread on the 2010 Workshop.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Hoodoo Heritage Festival Workshops”