Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
freegirl

Re: Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

Unread post by freegirl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:44 pm

I had a reading Friday with Miss Cat and she said he does love me. I am well aware of what the issues are right now-- I deliberately didn't give much information here so don't know how you can conclude what is needed or not. I really just wanted to know about the candle wax.... if it goes out again I will call the shop. I thought I had also seen somewhere something about pouring out melted wax, too.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:57 pm

Personally, I pour out the wax in some of my candles too, but I was saying if you are into reading the candle (i.e. low flame vs high flame, etc) then that might affect how you would read the candle. I did not say pouring out the wax was a bad idea. It just might affect how you would read a candle. In addition, you said the candle went out twice, both at the shop and when you did it, I was drawing from that information that love me products may not be what you need. He may love you but perhaps he may be hurt from a past relationship which he might need healing products, or he may be scared which might call for a courage spell. Thats not saying he does not love you, however if there is something from preventing him from fully loving you then that might be an issue. If the candle goes out again, or if you light out another candle, and it goes out, then consulting with the shop would be a great idea as you said. I would definitely consider that as a sign.

However, if you had a reading, and you are aware of the issues, then that is great.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification... I think it's important to keep the candle going but wanted to make sure I wasn't cheating as it hasn't happened to me with a LM candle before (I've had it happen with wicca candles in the past)... the one a few weeks ago had to be relit a few times...I'm thinking it probably means the situation is in some respects similar.

Yes, healing and courage are good ideas too. I have a healing candle, a few actually... which leads me to another question.

can you petition a candle to work for more than one goal? a sick friend AND a lover? I'm thinking probably not but thought I'd check.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:07 pm

No you cannot use the same candle that is intended for one goal, or target for another person or goal.

The following paragraphs are taken from catherine yronwode's "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" pages at the Lucky Mojo webiste regarding candle magic signs:
http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagicdiv ... ml#signsA6
"The candle goes out before completely burning

If your light was lit for simple increase or decrease without respect to the will of another being (more wealth, less illness, etc.) then this is may be considered a bad sign -- a negative reply from the world of spirit to the question implied in the work.

If the candle was set in open opposition to the will of another person (e.g. a coercive love spell, an antagonistic spell, etc.) then this sign may either be a negative reply from the world of spirit to the question implied in the work or it may be a message from the other person, implying resistance, blockage, reversal of your designs, or sending harm back onto you or your client. Such a dousing of your lights may indicate that someone very strong is working against you or against the person on whose behalf you are setting the lights.

In any case, if the light goes out, you will have to relight it. Do so with a prayer.

If the light goes out or is put out a second time, this a sign that you may need to use stronger means than you first employed to reach the goal. Try relighting it again, with a stronger prayer.

If it goes out a third time, you may try to splint the wick (that is, re-wick the candle) and pray over it very intently before relighting it, and you may also wish to consider adding a second "helper" or "back-up" light on the altar.

If no amount of effort on your part enables the candle to burn, and the helper light goes out three times as well, you should consider the need to start the entire job over from the beginning. "
Although this may not apply to you, I would just relight a similar candle in the future to back up the work that you have done regarding the love me aspect.

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Thank you! I need to have more candles on hand, I guess.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Its ok to pour out a bit of the candle wax. Don't be afraid to give your work a helping hand sometimes. If you want maybe light some helper candles around your Love Me candle to help smooth some difficulties. They don't have to be vigils just small birthday candles or the 4" LM candles will work fine. A Road Opener, Reconciliation, and Come to Me may help support the Love Me conjure. I'd put these in a triangle around your vigil light. Good luck.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks, ConjureMan, always so helpful and supportive! :) I suspect the wicks on the Love Me candles may be a little short...

what do you mean about the triangle, a triangle of other vigils? (road opener etc.)? I don't have them. I could though light some red candles or birthday candles. Dressed with Come to Me or other love oils? don't think I have Road Opener oil or Reconciliation Oil, do have Return to Me, Love Me and some others. I think I will get some Road Opener Oil in my next batch.

It is burning next to a protection candle which is next to the honey jar. I have the darker candles in another place now. It's funny, I didn't used to do that but it just feels natural now. Evolving!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 am

ConjureMan is referencing placement of candles; one candle (love candle) with two candles (reconciliation and road opener) at each side in a triangle .... can you picture it?
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:04 am

Yes, I can picture it, of course! but I don't have those two vigil candles so wasn't sure what he was suggesting.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:47 pm

In the posts I said they didn't have to be vigils. You can use birthday candles or the LM 4" candles, tapers, or whatever you have on hand. Simply anoint with the oils of your choice and burn along with your vigil as helpers.

Shiva2500

Unread post by Shiva2500 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:56 pm

So ppl,

1.) does that mean when my order from LM arrives for a fixed Reconciliation Vigil Candle I need to clean the glass too? If so, can I use my own urine even though it also involves another person?

2.) I am also getting a pennis candle to use on the person I am trying to reconcile with, can I use my own urine to clean that?

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Oh OILS. I didn't understand what you meant, thanks for clearing it up! after I poured out the wax twice it has been burning like a charm! :) and corresponding to some positive developments too, I think.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:56 pm

1) No you do not need to cleanse the candle of a fixed vigil jar.

2) I would get some rubbing alcohol, florida water, or ammonia from the store.

Shiva2500

Unread post by Shiva2500 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am

Alright, thanks starsinthesky7 :)

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Wonderful! Keep it up!

Flamethrower
HRCC Student

Unread post by Flamethrower » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:36 am

freegirl wrote: However, a Love Me candle went out... I relit and then poured out some of the wax. Is pouring out the wax cheating?
I've received candles that weren't perfectly even - the wax were higher on the glass than the actual wick so I surmise they melted and became warped during shipping. Because of this, I'm not too surprised when the flame extinguishes, so I either use a long spoon to scoop out excess wax or pour it into a bowl lined with wax paper or aluminum foil.

Once the flame is burning steadily, I'd re-add the wax a little bit at a time throughout the burn so nothing is wasted.

I wouldn't call it cheating to pour out wax, but I personally consider it important to either re-add the wax or dispose of the excess wax respectfully since it has been blessed and is part of your spell.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:39 am

freegirl wrote:My lover and I are in a rift, not sure really the situation and don't want to go into a whole lot of details.

However, a Love Me candle went out... I relit and then poured out some of the wax. Is pouring out the wax cheating?

LM had a Love Me Candle set too a few weeks ago that they had to relight but they said it isn't always the work... I am watching to see how it burns NOW. Thoughts?
I pour out wax that is going to smother a candle wick and make it go out all the time. It may affect your ultimate read of the vigil light, but I burn hundreds of vigil lights and can tell you that 9 times out of 10 the wax that runs off the side of the candle will melt as the candle continues to burn and the effect on the reading is negligible. Then there is that 1 time when it really effects the reading, but I would rather deal with that during my interpretation than have the entire light go out. Something that this process of having to pour out wax symbolizes to me is that the client may have too many types of work going on the situation, they may be putting too much energy into it, they are creating an "overflow" type situation that is actually hindering them, that's one of the patterns I have seen when it comes to this type of situation.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:54 pm

That is very very helpful Miss Bri, and much appreciated. It is burning so well now after the two pojur-outs that I feel optimistic, and it makes good sense for it to have had some obstacles at the beginning.

lovebird

Unread post by lovebird » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi
I received my attraction candle along with my road opening candle I lit both candles but my attraction candle will not stay lit. I have lit the candle so many times and it keeps going out. It looked like it was too much wax and it was covering the wick too much. So I took some wax out but it is still doing the same thing. What is the problem. My road opening candle is burning just fine.

Mzcee
Lovebird

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:30 pm

I would do some cleansing work - and then wait until your Road Opener is finished before attempting to relight it. Then you may need to pour a bit of wax out. This is called working with the candle.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

lovebird

Unread post by lovebird » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:48 pm

ok thank so what should I use for cleansing? like burn incense dragons blood or something I did order a sage smudge bundle but they were sold out and on back order.

Mzcee
Lovebird

corazon

Unread post by corazon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi all,

I bought a fixed LM psychic vision candle a while ago and had it waiting for the right time to use it. A few days ago I got a reading and it was suggested I burn the candle, well silly me I was so excited to finally have a purpose in mind to use this candle for, I just lit it and said a little prayer.

I didn't think of *how* to use it properly - like put a petition paper underneath - or think about the schedule of burning.
I burned it for two intervals that day, but had to leave, so I snuffed it out. Then I worked the last two nights and its been sitting on my dresser all alone.

So here is my question - Can I put a petition under it now, or is it too late? Can I restart my burning with a schedule.. to attempt to burn it as much as possible each day?

Also, is burning a candle to petition a Saint the same way? Try to keep it burning till the end - but if you can't keep it burning snuff it out, as long as you light it with the prayer every day?

Thanks everyone!!

-Stacy

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:36 am

What you did was fine. However, if you want to put a petition under the candle that is fine as long as its for the same intent, and your purpose for the candle didn't change. For example if you started a come to me candle to bring you closer to john, you cannot use that same candle to bring you closer to jack in the future. If you want to burn it on schedule...yes you can still do so.

For a saint, you need to research and do a search on the forum how people work with various saints. But most people burn the a saint candle on the day that particular saint is worshipped. If you do not know the day, then default to sunday. You can burn the candle once a week and then burn it out...burning it each week or over a number of days until it has gone out.

Kulotito

Unread post by Kulotito » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Hello again, this time my question revolves around the sectioning of candles for burning over a period of time.
With glass encased candles, I'm a little confused, are they burned non stop? I'm sure many are already aware that of course you cannot section off a candle directly when encased, but can you mark the glass with the same method of pins/needles to burn for another time?

Thanks!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Yes, glass encased are generally meant to be burned straight through.
Most candles that are sectioned are more of the taper or altar candle variety.

It would be hard to work in a sectioned manner with glass encased as they burn very slowly. For instance if you sectioned a glass encased candle into 7 sections, each section would need about 17ish hours to burn. However, some people do snuff and relight glass vigil lights over a period of time. It's up to you how you wish to work.

For spell work, I would not *personally* snuff and relight, or section glass encased candles. I do however use some as guardian candles for when I do work, and those get lit while I work, then snuffed until I'm ready to work again - then I pray as I relight them. They last a very long time when using them in that manner.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Kulotito wrote:Hello again, this time my question revolves around the sectioning of candles for burning over a period of time.
With glass encased candles, I'm a little confused, are they burned non stop? I'm sure many are already aware that of course you cannot section off a candle directly when encased, but can you mark the glass with the same method of pins/needles to burn for another time?

Thanks!

I have seen people burn sectioned glass case candles when there were no taper, knob or figural candles to work with. Typically what you will see is people burning the glass candle straight through and not snuffing it out. But, let's say you want to burn a 7 days money stay with me candle and you don't have a 7 knob candle--can you use a glass vigil light? Sure. I have made my sections with a black sharpie and written my petitions right on the glass. I have also been in shops where I have seen the glass divided by strips of colored or white paper as well as colored tape. But again, this is not the most typical way you will seen vigil lights worked with.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:23 pm

I normally burn glass encased candles until they go out on their own; I might add that if the candle doesnt last the complete 7 or 9 days, I will light a candle to continue the work.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Sometimes I cant burn my candles straight through. I do what the previous posters have said, or I burn them for as long as I can each day, and put them out when I leave. But like someone said its hard to section them off sometimes because it may burn slower one day, and burn faster the next. So typically I will let it burn for a certain amount of time each day until it goes out.

corazon

Unread post by corazon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:47 am

Thank you SO much starsinthesky7. I really appreciate all your great advice.

I really have learned so much, and continue to do so on this forum. Everyone here is so great.

Kulotito

Unread post by Kulotito » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks guys! I do like the idea of the colored tape and sharpie a lot! But since it seems like it is the more traditional way to burn the glass candle straight through & to keep it lit.

tnish

Unread post by tnish » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:44 am

Hello!

I was wondering that since Im little scared to actually pinch out the flames for one of my mojo bags can I actually just snuff it out?

Secondly I had to fold my petition paper more than once to fit it in my mojo bag, is that alright?

Thanks In Advance

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:54 am

You can use a snuffer, Lucky Mojo sells them. I have always been scared of the pinch thing too.

tnish

Unread post by tnish » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:11 am

Oh thank you. Now does it have to be a snuffer because Ive just been doing it with a little piece of white paper.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:19 pm

13-Herb bath on yourself, Chinese Wash for the house. You can use Road Opening incense.

phoenixrising

Unread post by phoenixrising » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:59 pm

tnish wrote:Oh thank you. Now does it have to be a snuffer beacuse Ive just been doing it with a little piece of white paper.
Tnish, I would definitely advise you not to use paper since it is flammable...what happens if the paper catches fire? That could potentially be very dangerous. You should get the snuffer or use some other non-flammable item. I bought the small snuffer from LM and I'm very happy with it. They're good quality and not too expensive...so definitely worth it for safety's sake. Here's the link:

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocattools.html#snuffers

Phoenix

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:04 pm

1) Spit on your fingers and pinch out the candle or use a candle snuffer. Do not use paper.

2) There are no hard-and-fast "rules" about folding papers to place in a mojo. I was taught -- and prefer -- to fold toward me to draw things and to fold away to repel things, to rotate the paper clockwise for attraction and counter-clockwise for removal.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

tnish

Unread post by tnish » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Oh yeah I know that sounded crazy I forgot to add in that it is wet/damp. Thanks again to everyone.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:30 pm

The snuffer works better for me but I have wet my fingers and pinched out candles several times. Do what works for you.

thegoldman

Unread post by thegoldman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:07 pm

I'll be dressing a 7-day black candle with Inflammatory Confusion oil, walnut leaves, a strand of the man's hair, and other herbs to increase confusion and discord in his romantic relations. :evil: I don't know the name of the girls so I'll write their name as My Romantic Rivals.

How do I write a name paper for cursing work? Both names9x on one piece of paper with my request in a circle? Each name on separate pieces of paper? If I do that, how do I write the request?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:16 pm

I would just curse him so that he is so driven with confusion, and discord in his one mind that he is not going to be able to handle and kind of romantic relationship. You can do this through a skull candle. In this situation, it seems like this man has a lot women, and your main focus should be HIM since you have a strong link to him through the strand of hair. If you are trying to make it so he is unable to have success in romantic relationship, then the command over his name could be "bad luck in relationships" If you want to curse his penis so he is unable to perform with other women then do so. I would not worry about the other rivals. HIT HIM.

For cursing work, write the person's name out 9x and then cross it with what you want to happen. So you could cross it with "suffer, confusion, discord" written 9x That seems to be what you are going for. Two name papers are typically used for break up work, or trying to get two people to split up.

thegoldman

Unread post by thegoldman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:21 pm

thanks! :D :D

when using two name papers, do I write identical requests over their names? How should I place the 2 name papers under the glass candle? I like using 7 day vigil candles instead of figure candles because i like having the candles burn nonstop for a couple of days.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:32 pm

When doing two name papers to break or split people apart. I usually write their names or a name paper with break up. Then i place the papers back to back and some break up powder or a few dabs of oil in between then fold then place them under the glass candle.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Read here about candle burning signs http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagicdivination.html

Maya28

Unread post by Maya28 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Am i doing right by inscribing my black candle (for breaking up) from base to wick?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:25 pm

It depends on what way you follow. Some people believe to do it away from you which would be base to wick. And others (me) believe it goes from wick to base.

http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#dressing

This is from the above website...

Offertory and figural candles are dressed by rubbing them (for instance, upward to "draw" and downward to repel) with appropriate anointing oils, such as Fast Luck, Compelling, or John the Conqueror. Some practitioners then sprinkle them with sachet powders or roll them in finely cut magic herbs selected for their specific spiritual powers.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Im with starsinthesky7 on this; wick to base when doing repelling and base to wick when doing attracting.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Some people dress them in a similar fashion to the baths. Dress upward to draw and downward to repel. Other reverse it. And even other use the Gamache method of splitting the candle and dressing from the center to the poles. Experiment a bit and do what feels right to you.

esmeluv

Unread post by esmeluv » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:17 am

i have a question regarding a novena candle: is it better to put the petition paper inside or underneath the candle?

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:46 am

Underneath is a bit less messy. Either is fine, it comes down to personal preference.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:48 am

If you put paper in a glass novenacandle, it will likely catch on fire, which is a smoke and fire hazard. It is traditional to place the petition under a glass novena candle or to tape it to the outside of a glass novena candle.
catherine yronwode

esmeluv

Unread post by esmeluv » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:08 pm

thank u soo much... yeah i was a lil worried about putting it inside for that exact same reason...

perezdavidangel

Unread post by perezdavidangel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Can someone tell me step by step how to dress a novena candle?? :?:

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:00 pm

When you buy Novena Candles from Lucky Mojo, they come already dressed and prayed over.

See a list, with pictures: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html#catholic

Further information on burning glass encased candles can be found on the "Hoodoo in Theory and practice" page

Candle Magic in the Hoodoo Tradition: http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html

Please understand that this is a Lucky Mojo customer forum. Thanks.

This post has been moved from the section "General Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Matters" to the section "Ritual Candles." Please help your hard-working moderators by posting your questions in the appropriate section of the forum. Thanks!
catherine yronwode

tnish

Unread post by tnish » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:16 pm

Hello to the Forum!

I was wondering -- even if you do have a pre-consecrated item, such as a blessed candle, could you still rub it with blessing oil to heighten its power or does it become redundant?

Thanks in Advance

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 pm

Redundant, and in some cases, depending on the type of candle, a fire hazard.
HRCC Student #1339

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:10 pm

You are talking about LM dressed vigil candles right? They are dressed, prepared, fixed and prayed over for the intended purpose; have you read about them here? http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatcandles.html

Donnalee2

Unread post by Donnalee2 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Good evening all.
I have a question. Many years ago I was told to never trim a wick, no matter the length.It was explained that the wick is the heart of the candle. And you are cutting the effectiveness of the ritual. Has any one else heard this? Would like your opinion.
Thank you.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:19 pm

If you don't trim the wick, the candle won't burn properly. I trim all my wicks, and then keep the trimmings which can be used in case you need to add a wick to a drowning candle. It's a trick that Miss Cat turned me onto, and I've been soooo glad to have those extra wick trimmings.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I do not trim my candles although its something to think about. I have always loved candles and read that you trim a candle before you burn it each time that was before I used 'magical candles.'

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:39 pm

I was personally taught not to trim candles, generally. There are sometimes that I do trim them, like on vigil candles, before I light them I trim the wick because its simply too long. There isn't any dogmatic reason I don't trim, I include the actions of the wick in my divinations. Sometimes I find the wick grows long and a piece snaps off and creates a second flame that supports the original. Actions like this are significant to my candle readings.

Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”