Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Secular Supplies & Spells vs. Religious Supplies & Prayers

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Secular Supplies & Spells vs. Religious Supplies & Prayers

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:46 pm

I searched the forum to see if this question has been asked before...Is there a difference between fast luck oils, satchet powder, incense, etc. and St. Expedite other than his sainthood? In other words the end result is the same right? Things done in a hurry...when you dont want procrastination...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: Secular Supplies & Spells vs. Religious Supplies & Prayers

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:58 pm

There is a difference in the way that you would work the spells. Fast Luck is a Hoodoo formula so you work with it like you would any formula. St. Expedite is a Saint and if you work with him you must pay him if/when he comes through for you.

take care,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks Bri. I was reading the simularities and wondered if you were to use Fast Luck supplies would a payment be required when your petition is granted. Although I understand the concept with St. Expedite, I just didnt see the differences on the surface.

zitaholiday

Unread post by zitaholiday » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:08 am

I hope this has not been asked yet. But I found some information about using items found around the house in hoodoo work (nails, pins, ammonia, salt). Can you pretty much use anything you find around the house in hoo doo work and how would you know what to use it for? And, can using herbs around the home and garden help hoo doo work and aide items also bought from lucky mojo? One last question, is there a difference between getting herbs fresh (from garden) & buying them prepackaged from a store as far as effectiveness on hoo doo work goes?

Thank you,
Zita Holiday

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:45 am

Hi
zitaholiday wrote:Can you pretty much use anything you find around the house in hoo doo work and how would you know what to use it for?
No you can't just use anything, certain things you probably have around the house do have a use in hoodoo, ails,pins ammonia, but that doesn't mean you can just grab something and decide that it has use in hoodoo.
zitaholiday wrote:And, can using herbs around the home and garden help hoo doo work and aide items also bought from lucky mojo?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Herbs can of course be used around the home.
zitaholiday wrote:One last question, is there a difference between getting herbs fresh (from garden) & buying them prepackaged from a store as far as effectiveness on hoo doo work goes?
No not really, well in some cases. If you wanted to work with say Shaming Judy, well buying the leaves won't help you because you need the living plant. But where you can use parts of the plants, which is the most common, their is no reason not to use bought herbs. There is a long tradition in hoodoo of buying herbs, this happened when people became more urban and thus more removed from the county.

Also, its hoodoo, not hoo doo, one word, just to let you know. :)
HRCC Student #1559

zitaholiday

Unread post by zitaholiday » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Thank you. I'm learning so I'm lost lol.

Thank you for answering all my questions! I appreciate it very much

--Zita Holiday--

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:10 pm

Miss Zita,

One of the things I find so appealing about hoodoo is how commonplace many of the supplies are -- it's nice to encounter a system of magick so practical and down to earth. I've studied other systems where everything is so rigid -- must gather herb during so and such planetary hour and so and such moon and astrological sign, with this tool only, which must have never been used ... and so on and so forth. That sort of thing is awfully discouraging to most -- if it works for someone, great -- but I like to live a life that blends the magick with the mundane. Folk magick systems such as hoodoo and hex meet that need for me.

Like you, I am new to hoodoo and currently completely immersed in the wealth of information presented here and on Cat's other pages --amazing! I see so many possibilities for using hoodoo in my life.

Of course with the more esoteric herbs, I think it is best to either buy it from somewhere like LM where it has been handled properly or grow them yourself, which is not always easiest or cheapest. Other household items like pins, ammonia, candles and food offerings I think should be probably be set aside for your magickal work only and not intermingled with other household supplies -- that may be just me. For example, if I buy flowers for the graveyard I can't bear to use some of them for an arrangement in the house -- but that's probably just me being a bit odd...good to hear from you again, Zita. Take care.
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 am

Household objects are one of those grey area subjects. Like, I need pins for a particular spell, and I want them to be green. I'm going to perform the spell next week, so I go out and buy green pearl headed pins that are nice and shiny and new, and dedicate them to the work I want to do. On the other hand, OMG! Emergency! I need to do a spell now. Then I raid my sewing box for green plastic pins if I can find them.

Herbs in your garden you can of course use, no problem. I often use mint, roses, or lily of the valley from my garden, and am working on growing more useful cojure herbs. That said... I can't grow everything.

You can use things from around the house like bottles and jars, nails, pins etc, but if you are going to use them magically, you should cleanse them properly first. You should never just use any old thing though, and before you use something for working with, make sure you know what it's for and what it does.

zitaholiday

Unread post by zitaholiday » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:36 am

Wow! so much information! Thankyou very much.

--Zita Holiday--

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:47 pm

My vote for best household item would have to be canning (Mason) jars -- I use them for everything: storage of dried herbs, oils, bathing mixtures and even as witch jars. (Methinks my hillbilly is showing...but I do love 'em.) You can even get pretty ones now with a cut glass or fruit pattern which just delights my fancy Dutch soul to no end.

Does anyone else have any tricks they'd like to share?
Psalm 121

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 pm

Count me as another canning jar fan. Notice the dozen canning jars behind and around me in my avatar image. :-) For the full cupboard's worth, look here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatmap.html
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:32 pm

Can't beat 'em. For something that I want really sealed up, like a bottle spell, I use old-fashioned canning wax. Good stuff.
Ms. Cat, I'm like a kid await Christmas knowing my LM order is on its way! Have a great weekend!

I followed the link -- you've got more jars than I -- I also took the virtual tour and the LM shop is beautiful, unlike so may occult shops which look downright grungy.
Psalm 121

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:40 am

I collect and keep lots of jars and bottles. My other (not quite) household (more craft?) item is origami paper, I use it for petitions all the time. Placemats can be good for altars, too. I'm really tired right now, but I'll have a think on this one and maybe post some more. It's a fun thread.

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:30 pm

NotDorianGray --
I think I had read a previous post of yours where you described using origami paper in a money spell which was green on one side and gold on the other. I love that idea and plan to pick up a package of mixed paper the next time I am at the craft store.

It's really fun and exciting to learn what others are using in their work.

My #2 fave household item is a pair of sturdy kitchen shears. They handle everything from flannel for bags to the thickest, gnarliest roots down to dainty little thyme leaves.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!
Psalm 121

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 am

Cut crystal bowls I inherited from my grandmother. Great for putting offerings in.

Those things at the bottom of your pot plant pots... You know the ones... Saucer-y thingy... The small ones are good for standing candles in. Clay, cheap, and they don't burn.

Sewing thread, in many colours. Great for tying things up.

Scented talcum powder - I have both lavender and sandalwood. Not the real thing, but I've used both in a pinch.

Mirror. I grabbed one off the wall the other day and threw it behind a spell set up to reflect harm away from my client.

Cardboard box - needed an altar while I was moving house. It worked fine with a sheet over it.

Gift bags. No one wraps anything anymore, so I have heps of these. When I tie up herbs and hang them up to dry, I hang them inside the bag and hang the bag by its handles. No waste!

Also... vacuum cleaner. I know I'm not the only one who spills incense.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:00 am

I store loose items in nice vintage containers. Old tin-litho boxes, ranging in size from little candy tins to larger cream cracker tins, hold tea lights, joss stick incense, spare candles, pins, sewing thread spools, and so forth. I don't need to label them because i have a good visual memory, so i know that, for instance, "Whitman's Cloisonne chocolate candy tin = mini Rider-Waite-Smith tarot cards" and "Huntley and Palmer Gem Biscuits = Indian agarbathi incense sticks."

catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Bibi2

Unread post by Bibi2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 pm

I do that too, ms. cat! I've got all sorts of small, beautiful tins to hold herbs, incense, and other important things. ;)

mojojunkie

Unread post by mojojunkie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 am

hi everyone. im new to all this and just had a quick question. is working with catholic saints and citing psalms necessary to practice hoodoo? i grew up catholic but unfortunately everything about it turns me off. nothing about it resonates with me at all and im afraid because of that i wont get anywhere in my practice if thats the case. any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.

lachina

Unread post by lachina » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:40 am

no, the background of hoodoo is protestant. so no it's not necessary to work with the saints -though they do help quite a bit if you do- but i do think that citing psalms is called for in many spells. working with the saints and pslams is not the same thing you can do one without the other

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 am

Ms Cat has written quite a lot about the roots of of hoodoo in HITP. You may find it both interesting and educational to have a look through the website and read some of the history of the conjure tradition.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:07 am

Psalms can be used by anyone who believes in God. Although they are part of the Hebrew (Old Testament) Bible, they have similiarities to hymns that were used in ancient Egypt.

Do not confuse faith in God with membership in a particular church or acceptance of the teachings of any church. It is between you and God.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

miz_michelle

Unread post by miz_michelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:19 am

Hello to everyone,
I am new to the Lucky mojo community, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts and replies. Ya'll seem like a very knowledgable and friendly group of people. I have purchased a few things from Lucky Mojo, including Miss Cat's awesome book. My question is regarding which products to purchase next. You see, my husband, for lack of a better turn of phrase, is a black hole of financial woe. He is currently unemployed and spends money hand over fist. I work full time and make an okay salary, but it is not sufficient to keep up with his spending. I purchased the Van Van Spell Kit a couple of weeks ago, and recently completed the ritual. It seems to be working, since I have been asked to work some much needed overtime. I thought about working with St. Martha to "control my beast", but there are alot of other products that address the same issue, such as the Domination and Controlling Spells. Which do you all think would be most beneficial for my condition?

Thanks to you all for any advice, it will be much appreciated!
Miz Michelle

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:33 am

Welcome Miz Michelle. Have you had a reading on your situation? That way you will get info on the best or workable avenue to take to 'control your beast.' Saint Martha is a great saint to work with on controlling men. You will see a lot of her admiration here in the forum. But first you probably should get a reading on the situation. Have you read about Saint Martha and how to petition her?

miz_michelle

Unread post by miz_michelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:55 am

Thank you jwmcclin for your speedy reply,
Yes, I certainly have considered getting a reading, as I believe I need one. Problem is, it took me a month just to save for the things I purchased from LM, thanks to the aforementioned Black Hole. What I desperately need is something that will keep under wraps long enough for me to get ahead. I have read alot about St. Martha, here in the forum and on other webpages. There is some confusion regarding candle color (green, some say...others say red), and differing methods of petitioning her for assistance. As you say however, a reading is definitely in order, and the best place to begin.

Thank you, and God bless!
Miz Michelle

thelightfantastic

Unread post by thelightfantastic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Getting a reading before starting any spellwork is certainly ideal, but sometimes you just can't afford it or you need to get something done NOW. In cases like that, I would recommend petitioning the Saint of your choice (Saint Martha in your case) as much isn't needed to begin that work. To find out what you need to petition Saint Martha, just do a forum search.

I would ask Saint Martha to get your hubby to settle down on the wanton spending and to get a job to help ease your financial difficulties. As soon as you have enough money, check out the readers/rootworks at AIRR and then go from there.
High praise to Saint Michael for his protection and guidance

janeymack

Unread post by janeymack » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:46 am

Jeesh. Sorry to hear this. Just a thought tho. Your partner sounds more like a parasite than a husband. Do you really want to control your parasite or should you just consider the possibility that you deserve a MAN who can look after YOU rather than you be his mommy for the rest of his life.

Some people are like wheelbarrows. The only function as far as you can you pick them up and push them. Maybe you should consider a handsome charismatic go-getter instead. :D I am sure he would be much more fun to be around.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:49 am

Start a separate bank account and put all your earnings into it. Make a doll of your husband and dress it with Compelling, Controlling, Commanding, or Essence of Bendover oil.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

miz_michelle

Unread post by miz_michelle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Thank you all so much for the great ideas! I will definitely petition St. Martha and see if she is willing to work with me on this. The doll is an excellent idea, along with the necessary oils, and certainly worth the effort. Am currently saving for a reading, as I really believe I need one. Extra cash goes under the mattress (he'll never think to look there) LOL @ wheelbarrows, although I have considered hitting him with a lamp (just kidding....well, sort of!)

Thanks again, and God Bless
Miz Michelle

Rukia Fae

Unread post by Rukia Fae » Wed May 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Herbs- I grow as much as I can (and remember to plant, though thats a whole other issue...lol)
basil- grow tons all summer to last me though the winter.
lavender- I don't use it all that often, but keep a plant or two (they always die over the winter :( ) so I can at least have some cuttings if I need it.
parsley, cilantro, thyme - i grow every year
Green and purple (sometimes called red, i think) shiso - which is like a japanese basil. Love how it looks and hubby (who is japanese) uses it in some of his pickling (is that a word?) recipes. Wish I could find a 'magickal' use for it - any ideas? it reseeds and its EVERYWHERE (I forgot to move the pots last winter LOL)
I prefer to grow mine from seed, as I feel closer to the plant that way, but some plants i just dont do well with from seed. oh well...lol

around the house stuff - I guess if i had no other choice, I would use 'common' utensils or things for a working, but i try to keep it separate.
I keep my oils in a wooden recipe box. easy to conceal and easy for me to get to.
When mixing oils, I only mix the amount i need, and in my house, we have a lot of unique small soy sauce dishes- perfect size, so I have a couple of those I stole for my purposes and keep in my cabinet ;)

I bathe once or twice a week in epsom salt ( a whole bag to a bathtub) for cleansing. sometimes ill add a few drops of van van oil to it, but im not crazy about the smell, so not too often. I use sea salt to cleanse and purify items.

glass jars w/ metal lids! Love 'em! hubby has learned to NOT throw his away (why is it so many asian foods come in the perfect size jar???). I have a good stash of them in the pantry. :)

I"m sure theres more, but for me (and every one is different) i do use household stuff, but have 're-purposed' it for its new job. another good one - olive oil. All the oils I make i use olive oil as the base. can't get much more ordinary than that! :)

Several years ago, when at a renaissance faire and keeping an eye out for a tiny athame (wanted specifically to carve on candles, so needed tiny) i came across a metal worker and he made these hair pins. only I didnt see a hair pin- i saw the PERFECT utensil to scribe on my candles! And its still one of my favorite things and I use it ALL the time!

by the way miss cat - LOVE the tin!

what a great thread! love hearing how others do things!

mojojunkie

Unread post by mojojunkie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:27 am

I know I'm late replying...sorry...but I have a huge 5 subject notebook completely dedicated to this site and its contents. It's filled with info I've been learning about so I'm well aware of the history of conjure and what not. I think my main problem is the association part. Since growing up first Lutheran then Catholic, and never feeling any kind of vibe towards anything related to Christianity. Just the thought of attempting to use saints or even read from the Bible i felt would make me feel like a hypocrite. But thanks for your replies, especially Mama Micki. You really "kicked me in the ass" with that one. lol It was just what I needed to hear. I just needed to get over it as in just do it already, less thinking (I'm a Gemini; I cant help it!) and more magic. Thanks again guys!!
Last edited by Mama Micki on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarity

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 am

I've been wondering can you ask petitions to the saints without actually conducting a ritual just a candle burning?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:25 am

Yes, Catholics do that all the time.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

thewriteguy

Unread post by thewriteguy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:26 pm

I have been doing ongoing work for several situations.... I have been working with Saint Expedite, Saint Jude, Saint Sebastian and a few others... Things are really going great and a lot of things turned around for the better for me. My rootworker and my saints are truly amazing. I hope any of you out here who are working on things, don't give up. I worked on more than one situation, if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask on this post or pm me. LM oils are great too.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:27 pm

They are and thanks for sharing! I love working with St. Expedite and St. Francis of Assisi also is very special to me. Another group of spiritual aides are the Catholic Folks Saints like Dr. Gregorio Hernandez and Santisima Muerte--Lucky Mojo makes oils for some of them as well!
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”