Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Altars: Questions and Answers

ellalorena
Newly Registered

Re: Altars: Questions and Answers

Unread post by ellalorena » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:39 pm

hey thanks a lot. :P Can I use regular dimes or do I have to order silver ones? I know LMCC sells them, how much are they each?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:23 pm

Hello, ellalorena

Miss cat said Silver dimes. Find them here: www.luckymojo.com/silverdime.html

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Rev Ernest
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Rev Ernest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Lucky Mojo is proud to announce the publication of a new book by Miss Phoenix LeFae,
In "Hoodoo Shrines and Altars," Miss Phoenix instructs the reader in the construction of suitable
Hoodoo Alars.

The book will debut at the 8th Annual Hoodoo Heritage Festival in Forestville, California,
May 16th-17th, 2015, and a copy will be included in the admission package for the event, because
Miss Phoenix will be teaching a workshop on how to do this work. We are taking pre-orders now.
"Hoodoo Shrines and Altars" ships on May 18, 2015. Pre-ordered copies will be signed
by the author.

BOO-FLS-HSAA
Hoodoo Shrines and Altars by Miss Phoenix LeFae
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

Contents

Dedication and Acknowledgements 4
Altars of the Ancestors
Hoodoo: A Brief Introduction 5
How Do We Know About Hoodoo Altars? 6
Altar Described by Newbell Niles Puckett 8
Altars Described by Zora Neale Hurston 9
Altars Described by Harry M. Hyatt 10
You Shall Build There an Altar
Definition of Altars 14
Basic Types of Altars 16
Altar Work or Just Work? 19
Altars for What Purpose? 20
Building the Altar 21
One Altar or Many 25
Practical Altar Tips 26
Altar Objects 27
Magical and Spiritual Correspondences 37
Preparing the Altar Space 41
Keeping Your Altar Clean 42
Altars for Ongoing Work 47
Cat Yronwode's Secrets of Altar Respect 48
Altars for Various Conditions
Altars for Love 51
Altars for Money 52
Altars for Healing 53
Altars for Protection 54
Altars for Justified Enemy Works 55
Altars for Cursing and Vengeance 56
Dedicated Shrines
Altars for Ancestors 57
Shrines for Catholic Saints 59
Making Offerings to Spirits 60
Unusual Altars
Travelling Altars 65
Pocket Shrines 63
Hidden Altars 66
Business and Office Altars 69
Candle Ministry Altars 72
Frequently Asked Questions 78
Rev. Ernest, HRCC Grad #0891, MISC Deacon,
Facebook Fridays! Admin, Online LMCCo Catalogue Team

avoiceanswered

Unread post by avoiceanswered » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:56 am

I live in a basement room under the stairs of a plantation-style house. My one wall has a built-in cabinet shelf directly under the stairs, and I've been thinking of making it a study-personal power-attraction altar. My question is if it is that kind of altar right under the stairs is that like having people step all over me? Or is that like other spells where you have the control?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 am

avoiceanswered,

You are overthinking this. When you read the book announced above, you will learn that hidden altars have a long, long histroy in Black American magic. If there were stupid rules about where they should be located, then enslaved people could not have perpetuated the custom of keeping altars. Archaeologists have found and uncovered altars that were literally hidden under floors in the days of slavery.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

karma_13

Unread post by karma_13 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:47 am

Hello! I've read through all the threads and I'm still a little confused. Here's my situation...

I have to do my work discretely, which means in the basement, in a back corner of the storage room behind bins where my candles and whatnot won't be seen by my husband. It's kinda dark and cold back there and not the most spiritually welcoming place let's say...but it's the only spot I can go to to light my candles and pray...not to mention it's also safe cause it's concrete back there so there is little threat of fires happening with vigil candles going unattended. The problem is...my "dark" work is being done inches away from my "love" work. Is that bad? And sometimes they are going on simultaneously which makes me worried that I'm mixing up energies. What do you think?

I know dark work should be "down and dirty", which this space kinda is unless I get dirtier and do it next to the toilet...but I can't do my love work in my bedroom or anywhere aesthetically appealing without being caught...the love work does not include my husband!

I realize everyone's altars are different and that's their prerogative. This unfortunately is the best I can do, but I don't want to cross or trip up my work either! What do you think?

Thanks!!!

natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread post by natstein » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Hello karma_13,

I would not be to worried over this. Some workers have "good" and "bad" candles and such going right next to each other on the same table top. Sometimes you have to use what space you have and that's what you got. If you really want to be certain I suggest getting a reading to see if it is causing anything negative but as long as you are not mixing up your own intentions when you are doing your work I think you will be fine.

Peace~

Nathen

Kerroncreg
Spells to Summon or Work With a Spirit

Unread post by Kerroncreg » Sun May 31, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi there. I am from the West Indies.
I have never had any encounter with spirit guide or spirit helpers, and I don't know my ancestors or my roots, but I would like to meet and work with my spirit guide. Is there anything I can do to gain communication with my spirit guide or know who my ancestors are?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sun May 31, 2015 8:58 pm

Hello, Kerroncreg,

I would first recommend that you set up an Ancestor altar. I have moved your post to the thread that deals with altars. Thee are a few types mentioned here. But you will find many posts about the Ancestor altar.

You can also find some information here: http://www.readersandrootworkers.org/wi ... nd_Prayers

And I would also recommend that you use the Psychic Vision Products and Spirit Guide products to help you.

www.luckymojo.com/spiritguide.html

www.luckymojo.com/psychicvision.html

You don't have to know who you ancestors are. Just address them as your ancestors. Give them offerings and talk to them as often as possible. Then, little by little, call on your Spirit guides, etc.

it's a process but a rewarding one

Good luck
HRCC Graduate #1631

Dave71us

Unread post by Dave71us » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:28 pm

If I chose to burn a vigil,candle on my ancestor altar what color would work best?

Can anyone recommend any LM herbs or oils that I could use to dress the candle?

Thanks

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Hello, Dave71us ,

I prefer white on my altar.

My preferred product is: www.luckymojo.com/spiritguide.html

Wishing you the very best
HRCC Graduate #1631

Dave71us

Unread post by Dave71us » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:16 pm

That's makes so much sense.
Thanks Miss Aida

HappinessRules

Cleaning?

Unread post by HappinessRules » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:02 am

Cleaning altar from scratch tell me what u need?
What has happened an egg I used for cleansing smashed all over my altar and I want to know what to use to clean it all up? I haven't put my hands on any of it so where do I start from cleaning items splattered with it to the actual altar?
This is hard to know where to start, also how would I dispose of all of this.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Hello, HappinessRules ,

Just cleanse everything with Chinese wash: www.luckymojo.com/chinesewash.html

Here is a thread on methods od disposal: www.luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html

And don't worry about it. We all make mistakes and that's how we learn!

take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Chinese wash is a gentle soap-based product and is good for more types of surfaces. Go back to earlier pages in this thread and you will learn a lot about traditional spiritual cleansing methods for different types of altar surfaces.

Here, courtesy of Mama E. of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers, is an ancestral altar on a wall shelf:

catherine yronwode

HappinessRules

Unread post by HappinessRules » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:23 am

Thanks Miss Aida, and Miss catherine yronwode

itgirl92

Unread post by itgirl92 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm

I know I've read a lot of things about altars and what people have on them, that within Hoodoo, there isn't necessarily one setup that is right.

But as I've just recently started, all I really have on my altar is a cloth and an incense burner - then candles as I may be working a spell. I don't have pictures of my ancestors or anything like that right now. Does the lack of some of this more personal stuff affect the power of my spells? As long as I can visualize and pray and make my intent known, does it matter?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Hello, itgirl92 ,

Are you talking about an Ancestor altar or an altar for spells?

Although you can perform spells on an ancestor altar for their help, I usually just have a altar up to honor them. And a different one for spells.

To star an Ancestor altar, you can add things as you go along. You can start with just white flowers, a white candle, a glass of cold water. Then, gradually add more as time goes on and you have established a relationship with them. They don't have to be elaborate for the beginner. http://www.readersandrootworkers.org/wi ... nd_Prayers

An altar for spells doesn't really need anything formal. But, the more that you put into your altars for a spell, the better the success rate.

But a simple cloth will suffice along with your spell tools www.luckymojo.com/mojocattools.html

Take care and Have fun setting up your altars!
HRCC Graduate #1631

perezdavidangel

Unread post by perezdavidangel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:18 am

Hi everyone.

I've been needing help. I been holding back on performing any rootwork or spell because I'm not sure if the general process to perform one. I need some advice.

Do I just grab my candles and get to it or is there a process I can do to help my magick?

I know in Wicca they cast circles and other things as part of the spell but not sure on what exactly am I suppose to do as far as a hoodoo ritual is concerned.

Please help. I'm sorry if my English is off. It is not my first language.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:45 am

Hello, perezdavidangel ,

I have merged your post over to the altar section. You may want to look at these pages to give you an idea of what an altar can be.

You could learn a lot from this page also: www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

But, we don't have any fancy rituals or cast circles, etc.

Just place your tools (candles, etc) on a safe surface (altar), and start your spells. I always pray when I cast y spells.

But, all-in-all, you will have to research this thread and the page I gave to you. Then, you'll be fine

Good luck!
HRCC Graduate #1631

Can2017

Unread post by Can2017 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know what to do with favourite foods and drinks that we place on altars for an ancestor or a saint.

1) A fresh banana for instance. Do we discard of it (in compost) and replace every day?

2) Also, how long should a drink (water or otherwise) and a herb be kept on the altar before replacing?

Thank you so much.
malamo

Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Athena » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi malamo,

You want fresh food and drinks for your altar, so replace them before they start to go bad. Personally, I replace mine daily or at the very least, every other day.

Good luck.
Miss Athena - HRCC Graduate #1909 - Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:57 pm

malamo,

1) The way i work, as long as the offering of food is still fresh, i let it dry in place and then take it outside into nature and break it up for the animals to eat. If it is the kind that rots, it goes out faster. If it has a long shelf-life, like a hard candy, it can stay a while longer.

2) Herbs and roots i will keep in place as long as they are fragrant. When they go stale, out they go. Water i would replace daily. Use it to water plants, unless it has had salt added, in which case it should go to the street, as salty water kills plants.

Here, courtesy of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers, is a simple seasonal altar with offerings of flowers, food, and drink:

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

Can2017

Unread post by Can2017 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:41 pm

Thank you both very much for taking the time. This is very helpful.
My best regards,
malamo

LavidiaWhiteside

Spirit Guide Oil Questions and Answers

Unread post by LavidiaWhiteside » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:17 pm

I've never given offerings to my spirit guides before. How does this work? If I were offering, say, corn to my spirit guide, can I used dried corn or should it be fully cooked and prepared (or does it matter)? Should I dispose of the offerings in some way, or is it okay just to throw everything away?

I apologize if this question is more appropriate elsewhere.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Hello, LavidiaWhiteside,

I have moved your post to the appropriate subforum and thread.

Please, in the future, use the search engine to find where to post your queries. In the upper right hand corner, there is a white search box in the dark green area. Just type your key words and you'll be given options of where to post your query.

There are many good pages here for you to read. But let me ask you this: How would you like it if I gave you uncooked food? I don't think you would like it. Therefore, your Spirit guides wouldn't either. Unless you're working with an Orisha (and that was NOT your question), then please offer the same as you would eat yourself.

I like to offer the food up to animals. So, take it outside once the Spirits get the essence of the food (personally, I only keep food on my altar for 24 hours)

Here's a book on altars that you might be interested in:

www.luckymojo.com/hoodooshrinesandaltars.html

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

LavidiaWhiteside

Unread post by LavidiaWhiteside » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 am

Ugh, I screwed up again. Please forgive me for all my newbie mistakes--I'll get it right next time.
Ha, I see your point! Thank you for the book recommendation. I have a lot of reading to do.

goldentouch97

Unread post by goldentouch97 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:25 am

Wich deities or saint is most appropriate for a money altar,i have an altar for my money stay with me who starting to work very well and i wanna going soon more deeper in hoodoo practice and gonna need to choose a saint or deities on my altar.

natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread post by natstein » Sun May 01, 2016 10:51 am

Hello goldentouch97,

First I want to mention that going deeper into hoodoo practice does not really necessitate choosing a spirit or saint to assist you.

Plenty of folks have strong and deep practices never having spoken to a saint in their life. That said you certainly can work with particular beings if you feel drawn to them.

I have heard that St. Expedite is popular for wealth and money and is also not particularly difficult to work with. Some folks feel that the Hindu God Ganesh or the Lucky Buddha helps them gain financial wealth as well.

Who ever you approach to work with on your money alter just remember that it is a relationship that you are developing.

Peace~

Nathen

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun May 01, 2016 11:03 am

Hi, goldentouch97,

Natstein was right on point. Hoodoo is mostly practiced by Protestant African Americans. The deity they venerate is called God, The Lord, or Jehovah.

The word "saints" is used in Protestant denominations to refer either to deceased members of the church who are assumed to be in Heaven (most common usage among Baptists) or living members of the church (most common among Holiness and Pentecostal denominations).

Catholic African Americans do venerate saints who are deceased people canonized by the Catholic heirarchy; among those who help with money would be any patron saint of one's own occupation, such as Saint Peter for fishermen or Saint Luke for doctors. Saint Expedite is called upon for any sort of emergency, when one needs help in a hurry.

A list of Patron Saints of the Catholic Church is here:

http://luckymojo.com/patronsaints.html

Some practitioners of hoodoo are eclectic enough to work with Hindu or Chinese dieties; this is not common, but it is found often enough that we consider it within the bounds of hoodoo.

Please familiarize yourself with the way in which religion does intersect with hoodoo by reading this essay i wrote to help my students and shop customers:

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooandreligion.html

Also, to learn more about all types of altars used in hoodoo, including ancestor altars, working candle altars, and travelling altars, please purchase and read this fine book published by Missionary Independent Spiritual Church:

BOO-FLS-HSAA
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

Contents

Altars of the Ancestors
Definition of Altars 14
Basic Types of Altars 16
Building the Altar 21
One Altar or Many 25
Practical Altar Tips 26
Altar Objects 27
Altars for Love 51
Altars for Money 52
Altars for Healing 53
Altars for Protection 54
Dedicated Shrines
Altars for Ancestors 57
Unusual Altars
Travelling Altars 65
Pocket Shrines 63
Hidden Altars 66
catherine yronwode

goldentouch97

Unread post by goldentouch97 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks a lots for your precious help,i gonna definetly order this book.

Lady Coyote

Unread post by Lady Coyote » Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 am

I have a quick question about Ancestor Alters: Can you include a person who isn't related to you by blood? My grandfather passed a few years ago; we were very close, and he is the only grandfather I have ever known, but he is not my biological grandfather. Does that matter?

Also (and I know that this is probably a crazy question), I have an unintentional "alter" to pets who have passed away -- their ashes, pictures, paw prints, hair, figures or fetishes that remind me of them. I have never used this alter in any kind of spell work, but part of my spiritual practice includes my Siksika heritage and beliefs, and that involves use of animal medicine. So, my question is: has anyone invoked the aid of the spirits of past pets? For example, there is a dog on my alter who once protected our house from robbery by attacking the invader -- could her spirit be worked with in a spell for protecting the home and those inside? And, if so, should I move the items honoring my pets to my Ancestor Alter (since we have always considered them members of the family), or continue to honor them on their own seperate alter, and start cleansing that and prepping it for work?

I understand that the question is probably farfetchedfarfetched and crazy! However, I am constanrly trying to interweave the practice of my African American maternal side (rootwork and conjure) and my Native American paternal side (traditional Siksika spirit and medicine work) into a personal path that honors both parts of my heritage. This seemed like maybe a good way to build a little bridge between the two.

Thanks for the help!

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sat May 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Hello, Lady Coyote ,

It's up to you. All up to you. But,

I have my deceased pets on my ancestor altar (and not a different altar) because, in my eyes, they were my children. I also have people who were close to my family (and were like family to me).It's about the soul, in my opinion, and not the blood.

So, no, not a silly question

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Lady Coyote

Unread post by Lady Coyote » Sat May 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Thank you, Miss Aida!

mizznana002

Unread post by mizznana002 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Good evening everyone,

I have a situation that i need some advice on.

I've been wanting to make an ancestor altar for four of my deceased family members (great grandmother, her two daughters, and my cousin from my fathers side) but something in me isn't urging me to create one, and the thought of creating one and worshiping my ancestors is constantly in mind.

should i be concerned with the fact that i don't have the urge to?

i've had a few people tell me (and have also seen a few people on youtube stress it) that its very important to worship our ancestors before any dieties, spirit, saint etc.

is that true and important as well?

My family is from Puerto Rico and my mom grandfather and grandmother have practiced brujeria (witchcraft) a lot more when they we're younger than now with the exception of my mother and I, and my grandmother has an altar for my great grandmother but she tells me its not important.

Also should i make separate alters for each family member who has passed?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Hello, mizznana002 ,

Unfortunately, you are asking us a lot about Santeria. And this is a Hoodoo Forum.

I deleted your details about Mama Oshun because, again, this is a Hoodoo forum.

Yes, this is true in Santeria but not in Hoodoo.

As far as you not having the desire to erect the altar, then don't do it.

I personally have one altar for everybody. Even in Santeria, w do no give each ancestor their own altar unless there's a very specific reason.

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

mizznana002

Unread post by mizznana002 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:47 pm

thanx miss aida :)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:37 pm

mizznana002 --

Perhaps to understand hoodoo and its relationship to Christianity better, you might spend some time reading this free web page:

HOODOO AND RELIGION
Is Hoodoo a Religion?
Who are the "Spirits" in Hoodoo?
But ... What About the Hoodoo Saints?
Can Catholics Practice Hoodoo?
Can Wiccans Practice Hoodoo?
Can Members of ATRs Practice Hoodoo?
http://luckymojo.com/hoodooandreligion.html

We have nothing against Santeria or other ATRs here -- it is simply that none of us here are teaching those religions. Santeria is an initiatic religion, meaning that a great deal of it is secret and is only given to laypeople by initiated clergy. If you have questions about that religion, please speak to a priest or priestess of that religion.

Here, courtesy of Deacon Millett of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers, is a working altar prepared for a client on a granite counter top by a window:

catherine yronwode

stargirl

Unread post by stargirl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Water & Incense Questions
I have read you should put a glass of water on the alter--is that a Hoodoo tradition?, and if
so, do you change the water daily. Also is it good to keep incense burning as much as possible,
along with the burning candle (which is burning all day?)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:53 pm

stargirl,

Water is used on altars in many religious and magical traditions worldwide. Its intention and meaning may vary by culture, of course.

Among hoodoo practitioners, it is most often found on the altars of Spiritualists, for instance, those who came up under the teachings of Leafy Anderson.

You change the water when it evaporates, gets dusty, or daily, as taught by those in your religio-magical cohort.

The use of incense is optional, but those who use it in hoodoo tend to only light it while doing work, not continually. The continual use of incense is quite common among East Asians, however.

Candle lights too are optional on the altar, as is their continuous or intermittant burn. Some workers only set lights when they are doing a job. Different cutltures and different workers in hoodoo use differnt styles and methods.

Here, courtesy of Papa Gee of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers, is a working candle altar prepared for a client whose objective is reconciliation with a partner:

catherine yronwode

powermaestro

Unread post by powermaestro » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:40 pm

Hi,

Can I use the same candle stand to burn candles for love work, road opening work and also burn black candles for destructive works etc.

thanks for your help here on this forum.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:36 pm

naijasam,

Yes, you can do so. There is no restriction against such things. However, as with all altar tools, you should keep the candle stands clean. Melt out the old wax and wipe the candle stand. Use only a cleaner appropriate to the material from which the stand is made (that is, use no acidic cleaners like vinegar on marble, use only non-abrasive cleaners on brass, and so forth).

Here, courtesy of Rev Fred of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers, is a working candle altar prepared for a client to hot foot or drive away an unwanted person:

Best of luck to you.
catherine yronwode

MissNatalie87
Newly Registered

Question on basic spell/altar work

Unread post by MissNatalie87 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Hello!
I am very new to these practices though I have lit candles for certain purposes and set up an altar in the past without really having any idea what I was doing. So I'm very green. My question that I am hoping for some guidance on is that I am planning to do some candle work and maybe a simple spell along with it. However, I guess I'm wondering several things:

1. Does a spell need to be performed on an altar
2. If yes, should the altar be for a certain deity, such as Oshun if it's for love
3. If not, any good suggestions on what others have used on their altars that have worked for them?

I originally thought that I always had to go to Oshun for love problems but my boyfriend and I broke up much earlier this year and I was told to pray to St. Anthony and not light candles for Oshun at the same time. So St. Anthony came through for me and things are going well, but I want to keep things strong and progress the relationship and ultimately looking for marriage if it is meant to be.
Thank you so much for your help and taking the time to give some advice and experience.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Question on basic spell/altar work

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:59 pm

MissNatalie87 --

You may be in the wrong forum. This is NOT a Lukumi / Santeria / IFa / Ocha / Orisha Forum. We do not deal with the West African deity / spirit / orisha known as Ochun / Oshun / Osun.

Praying to Saint Anthony for the return of a lover is something that Catholics do. Some hoodoo practitioners are Catholics, but most are Protestants and do not venerate saints.

This forum is about hoodoo folk magic, not about religions -- which is best, most effective, or how to be a member of one.

1) No, but you can -- see above for an entire book on the topic of altars in hoodoo!

2) No, because many practitioners keep their altars for their work, not for veneration. There are veneration altars, of course, but not everyone has one. And not every practitioner has a dedicated altar space, either. Read this thread from page one down to here and you will get lots of important information. Buy the book by Miss Phoenix -- it will give you the history of hoodoo altars and good spells too.

3) Hearts, flowers, raccoon penis bone, cowrie shell, John the Conqueror Root, Queen Elizabeth Root, paired Lodestones with Magnetic Sand.

Here, courtesy of Miss Elvyra of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootowrkers, is a Crown of Success altar for job getting and financial abundance:

Good luck
catherine yronwode

Phienixx
Newly Registered

Altar in car

Unread post by Phienixx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:36 am

Hi I am wondering crating an altar in my van to do my money work is okay? However I would have to bury the leftover stuff in my front yard and I am already wondering how I can do that if I can't even do the work in my place of residence.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Hello, Phienixx,

Yes, you can do that.

How about burying by a tree?

Here are other ways:

www.luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Phienixx
Newly Registered

Unread post by Phienixx » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Thank you

Zabora

Unread post by Zabora » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:27 pm

I had a question about placing water on the ancestor altar. I have read and been told by others that you should place a glass of water on the ancestor altar. No one has ever explained why though. Is it just to feed the spirits? I'm curious to know the origins of this practice.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Hello, Zabora,

Water is refreshing for them

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

PumpkinSpice

Unread post by PumpkinSpice » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Hello!

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, and I was wondering if I could get a little advice concerning an altar that I want to put up. I don't know if this would be considered a veneration altar, or something else. I want to make an altar dedicated to achieving a goal; my goal is to get to school this year, since I didn't make it last year, and I had a lot of obstacles that blocked my way. The school that I got accepted into is in London, so I was going to place objects on the altar that symbolized London, travel and school. Also, I was thinking if it would be a good idea to use Road Opener products and the colors orange and purple on the altar as well, like setting orange/purple candles?

I don't know why I didn't think of making this altar months ago, but as time slips by it seems like more and more obstacles are building up, and I'm getting really scared. So I just thought that a road opener altar for London/university might help? I also read something, on this thread, about a wish box? Would something like that be a good idea to place on this altar as well?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Hello, PumpkinSpice ,

Excellent ideas!!

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Wishing you GREAT success with this

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

SarahMae

Altar for Work Involving a Specific Person

Unread post by SarahMae » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Ok, so I've read through all the altar posts that I could find, but except one person sharing an experience doing it, I haven't seen a lot on the topic of setting up a small altar for ongoing work done for a specific person. It seems altars dedicated to specific workings tend to be more topic-oriented than person-oriented. My best friend has a myriad of issues in his life (name it--he's probably got it going on, recovering from it, or trying to avoid it). He's doing the work on his end (therapy, job hunting, and reconciliation work), but I'd like to help things along on my end with some spells and prayer and work.

So--without delving into areas that would be off-topic for this forum--I guess my question is two-fold:

-While I realize there are no real "rules" in hoodoo altar setup, is setting up a space to do work specifically for one person a generally done thing? Any cautions here? Anything I should be aware of?
-Assuming this is a done thing, any thoughts on what to consider as I set it up? I want it to be an effective working space but not something that takes over a ton of surface area or a large amount of time. I'm thinking representational items (candles and otherwise) with a central area for ongoing spells, but I'd value input.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Hello, SarahMae ,

Yes, you can certainly do that!

Spiritual precautions? Not if you're working helpful magic.

To learn more about all types of altars used in hoodoo, including ancestor altars, working candle altars, and travelling altars, please purchase and read this fine book published by Missionary Independent Spiritual Church:

BOO-FLS-HSAA
$9.00

Contents

Altars of the Ancestors
Definition of Altars 14
Basic Types of Altars 16
Building the Altar 21
One Altar or Many 25
Practical Altar Tips 26
Altar Objects 27
Altars for Love 51
Altars for Money 52
Altars for Healing 53
Altars for Protection 54
Dedicated Shrines
Altars for Ancestors 57
Unusual Altars
Travelling Altars 65
Pocket Shrines 63
Hidden Altars 66
HRCC Graduate #1631

Lullina24
Newly Registered

Unread post by Lullina24 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:56 am

Hello!! I ordered a Blockbuster candle for the altar. Is it okay for the petition to be "May this person get the job etc etc" (example). or does the blockbuster petition HAVE to be in form of "may all obstacles be cleared away to allow... to get the job"?? My petition was the first one.. I hope I didnt make a mistake

Reason: Double postng

Mysticmama4

Unread post by Mysticmama4 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:04 am

Hello all,
I have a simple question. I have a small altar on top of my bureau with a few candles and offerings dedicated to saints I am working with. I want begin working with angels too but on my altar I cannot have any pictures due to my spouses religious differences. Is it enough that I have dedicated that particular candle to the Saint? I feel a strong connection but my only problems are not being able to have a picture or statue on my altar.
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Mysticmama4 --

A picture may help you visualize a saint and that might help you focus more, but a picture is not 1`00% necessary. Try small holy cards -- hide them in books.
catherine yronwode

Mysticmama4

Unread post by Mysticmama4 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:20 am

Thank you much Ms. Catherine.

WhateverfireWorks

Unread post by WhateverfireWorks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:47 am

Hi everyone! I have a question that is fairly unique, and I'm genuinely not sure how to approach this. For about a month now, I have been doing a lot of research into my family tree. I managed to get a hold of some good records, and I found I am actually the 9th great-granddaughter of a woman executed in the 1692/93 Salem Witch Trials. I've spent about two weeks, and have managed to confirm this link with a "Salem Bloodline" organisation, which tracks the lineages of those involved in the Salem Trials.

I'm working on planning an ancestor altar, and normally I wouldn't go that far back for my own ancestors. But when I discovered this, I felt particularly "called" to it. I've been obsessed with Salem for my entire life, I even started writing a fictional novel one time, using this ancestor as a character before I even knew she was my direct ancestor. I do wonder if this is her spirit telling me she would like to work with me.

The thing I get a bit hung up about is the fact this woman almost certainly did not practice witchcraft, and was likely a Puritan who viewed any kind of magic as sinful. She most likely did not worship any Saints, and likely viewed the Catholics who did as sinful as well (the Christian aspect of Hoodoo for my own works is mainly Catholic based). Yet, at the same time, I would like to honour her. I feel horrible knowing her last days were painful and terrifying, and I don't want her to be forgotten. Especially since I myself am free to practice a magical tradition, without ever having to worry about legal repercussions.

Basically, I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. Her grave is in Salem, and I'm Canadian, and don't have the money or the means to travel there, as much as I'd like to see where she's buried. I apologise if this is a strange question, apparently it is quite unique to be able to directly trace back to one of the people executed, so I'm not sure who else to ask! I do feel very honoured to be descended from this woman who is a part of a very unique group, and I feel she definitely deserves a place along with my more recent ancestors, but I'm totally lost on where to start!

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Sister Jean
Site Admin

Unread post by Sister Jean » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:33 am

Hello WhateverfireWorks,

Wow, what a stunning discovery! And that's great you want to honor her spirit in a way that's meaningful for you and comfortable for her. You're probably right in reasoning that Catholicism wouldn't have been her cup of tea. But I think you could still create a very simple altar with a candle, a glass of water and a Bible. You could even do some research and find out what sort of objects would've been in her home and include a few of them on the altar so it feels homey to her. There are lots of possibilities.

Good luck to you!
Thank you saints and spirits!
Proud member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics!
readersandrootworkers.org

Luckylady123

Unread post by Luckylady123 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Would holy water be useful to cleanse and purify an altar ? Along with prayer and asking the spirits for help?

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”