Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Saint John's Day

Discussions about Lucky Mojo religious supplies, church goods, and altar tools, plus prayers to God, angels, spirits, saints, and deities.
bunny

Saint John's Day

Unread post by bunny » Sat May 22, 2010 11:08 am

Hello,
I am interested in any spells that have to do with collecting water on Saint John's Day 24th of June...I am particularly interested in spells that have to do with renting or selling a house. Thanks, bunny

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: saint john's day

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun May 23, 2010 6:54 am

I believe Saint John's day is very large in the Vodou tradition - but unless a hoodoo practitioner was also a devout Catholic, it's unlikely that they would be working on a Catholic feast day.

St. Joseph is the saint that those conjure practitioners who work with saints go to for real estate needs.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

uniwiz-11

Saint John The Mad Prayer

Unread post by uniwiz-11 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet everyone... I've been trying to find information about something called Saint John The Mad Prayer, it's supposed to be one that brings a lost love back to you very similar to the Intranquil Spirit Spell... does anyone know about this one? I thank you in advance.

Miss Aida

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello, Uniwiz-11,
I am so sorry but I have never heard of it.
Maybe another root worker has and will tell us? I just don't know.
I am sorry.
Take care

Tristan

Unread post by Tristan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Hello uniwiz-11.

First, it should be noted that John is a very common Christian name, hence the very large number of “Saint Johns”. This also accounts for the very large number of Johns in Latin American folk-magic. In fact, there are so many Juans that I am tempted to consider them a classification or group of spirits altogether. Indeed, in the Venezuelan religion of María Lionza there is a court of spirits called the Court of the Juans.

A common theme in the stories of many of these “Johns” is that they lived very violent lives and often suffered very violent deaths. This is perhaps best demonstrated in the life of one of the more infamous Johns: Juan Soldado, a convicted rapist and murderer who was executed by court martial. He is petitioned for a variety of conditions, notably by undocumented migrants for safe travelling prior to crossing the U.S.-Mexican border.

The earliest record I am aware of a “Juan” folk-saint is that of Juan Minero in the Inquisition archives of Colonial Mexico, dated 1718. An Indigenous Mexican painter was requested by a local woman to paint a retablo of a figure that she named Juan Minero. The retablo was confiscated and the painter arrested by the Holy Office. For those interested, the legend of Juan Minero is that he lived a very violent life, frequently entering churches to commit acts of blasphemy and sacrilege (which I will not detail here). After death, he was consigned to the mines of Purgatory to mine coal for the flames of both Purgatory and Hell. He is called upon as an Anima Sola, or intranquil spirit, in acts of coercive love magic to reunite lovers or force someone to love another.

The tricky thing about these folk-saints is that it can be maddeningly difficult to disentangle all the possible threads that could be connected to the saint.

In the case of San Juan Loco, there is Saint John of God (Juan Ciudad), the founder of the Brothers Hospitallers of St. John of God. In brief this saint, who was born three years after the discovery of the Americas, had a severe mental breakdown and was imprisoned in a sanatorium. Upon his release, he had a mystical experience after listening to the preaching of Saint John of Avila (yet another John!). He founded his order and administered to the poor and the mentally ill. He is considered a patron saint for those suffering from these conditions to this day.

In 2006, an online Dominican newspaper (Hoy Digital) reported that a chromo of San Juan Loco had been discovered in a cave by a spelunking group, along with a coconut believed to be an offering. This calls to mind other Saint Johns associated with caves (e.g. St. John of Edessa and St. John of Rila), not to mention caves being the dwelling places of chthonic spirits. The same article gives one of the prayers associated with San Juan Loco, also calling upon the spirit of the demon Balancebú Artaclán (Beelzebub *Artaclán). This same prayer is associated with San Juan Trastornado, although it is possible to find other prayers that are unique to San Juan Loco.

The stories and legends surrounding these figures are rich and varied, and I haven’t yet mentioned other well-known Johns, such as Don Juan del Dinero, San Juan el Conquistador, Don Juan del Desespero, Don Juan de los Caminos, etc.

Without wanting to take up any more space, suffice it to say that San Juan Loco is an intranquil spirit. If you are interested in this type of work, please see the Intranquility and especially theAnima Sola pages and related products. If you would like to do this work but aren’t sure how, please consider a training session with a member of AIRR. As this type of work can be very dangerous and requires some degree of skill, you may also consider hiring a professional worker through AIRR to undertake this on your behalf.

Cheers,

Tristan

*I believe Artaclán may be a corruption of arraclán, itself a corruption of alacrán, meaning scorpion.

Marie Laveau

Unread post by Marie Laveau » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:53 am

Saint John the Baptist is the Great among the Greats.

He was Jesus' cousin, and he was the chosen one. Even Jesus said we could not loved im if we could not love John, I think about him: the real Messiah.

He has a tremendous importance in Christianism, considered as the prince of all saints.

He lost his head because he dared to say what the establishment of those days was: corrupt, a rotten system full of sins and decadence. He dared to say to Herodiah, the wife of Herodes she was a prostitute because she spoused his husband's brother just for power, and this woman encouraged Salome to convice Herodes to cut John's head if she danced in front of the king in a sensual dance because she felt ashamed for the things John said.

He critisized that system of kings and a corrupt society chosing a life of humility and chastity. The chosen one who had the mission of baptizing people before Jesus would come to Earth in order to purify their sins.

A monk in Nag Hamadi, a member of Esenian community, a straight man, a good one who was honest and always with the truth as his weapon. A real enemy of the rotten system.

If you want to act wit honesty, if people want to dare to face difficult situations where courage and truth is required, pray to this wonderful and marvelous man, as I said, a Great among Greats. I think it would be good for those who have been punished for have dared to say the truth about darks issues related to establishment, un general, for those who have found out bad stuff about any situation. For those who have felt themlseves as scapegoats or patsies I would recommend to ask him for help.

I respect his figure and legacy so much, love my dear Juan Bautista from the deep of my heart.

In my country he is venerated in the most part of the nation, with emphasis in locations of the coast, we have a lot of traditions at his Eve Day, celebrated at night. We jump the bonfires or go to the beach to " purify" us; a lot of magical traditions are practiced at his night eve to get love, luck or money.

There a lot of Johns, but only one John the Baptist. Christian people cannot understand Christianism if they don't know about the real importance of the Baptist.

Marie Laveau

Miss Aida

Unread post by Miss Aida » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:24 pm

Hello, Marie Laveau,

It sounds like you're from Spain or a Latin Country!

take care

Marie Laveau
Re: Saint John's Day

Unread post by Marie Laveau » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:18 am

Miss Aida:

That's right!

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Religious Goods and Altar Tools in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure”