• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:15 pm

HHRM: Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic Book Questions and Answers

Discussiona about hoodoo and conjure spell books, instruction books, grimoires, and books on magic and spirituality.

Re: Thank You: "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" by cat yronwode

Unread postby almondworld » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Dear Miss Cat, I got your book today, just can't stop reading and making note. I had to say t's really a master piece, easy to understand and practical. I wonder what kind of herb will you use to describe yourself. I guess it may be sweeten ginger, sweet and spicy.

Love your book and Love you, both are great.
almondworld

Unread postby Wild at Heart » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:44 am

This book is very useful. I use it sparingly when I want to quickly cross-reference plants, and have written additional notes in it myself. I'd call it a starter guide, but it's more detailed than that- more "instructional reference manual".
Wild at Heart

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:32 am

I just had to drop into this thread and say that I am very glad to have the Hardcover and the Softcover version of Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic. It was too hard to not completely cover the softcover edition with notes and just recently I have given into this urge. Now I have my pristine HC to read and to show friends, and my notes filled copy to work with daily.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:41 pm

I wish to share with all the Lucky Mojo Clients, especially the "newbie’s", I have written and given testimony many times that I wish I had ordered the book Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic , by Catherine Yronwode, in my very FIRST order. http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html

I would have been leaps and bounds ahead. I am a graduate of Miss Cat's course, I am proud to be a Forum Moderator; I love contributing to this community, and please learn from my mistake. Order the book!!! :)

Be Blessed!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby nana664 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I just ordered the book last night, and after reading all of these posts, I am going to be checking the mail box every day until it gets here.
Thank you St. Anthony, for all you've done for me
nana664

Unread postby GoodLuckNatalie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:57 am

This book really is awesome - I read it on the plane, read it in the bath, refer to it regularly, carry it with me at times, fantasize about gardening and working with many of the plants when I have my own yard to garden in. It's a treasure and it makes me happy.
*Pisces Sun, Sag Moon, Gem Rising*
fan of show, CSL member, happy customer, hopeful future student
GoodLuckNatalie

Re: HHRM: Testimonials

Unread postby Chef Pug » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Got my HHRM Book today :D :D :D :D . Wish i had read this topic before i had ordered the paperback. I definitely will wear this paperback out. Oh well i will just have to order the hardbound copy later on. I'll ask Miss Cat to write "Hope this one last longer than the first one" in the Hardbound one for me.
You would think the Health Dept would worry about a shedding Pug preparing your food, But I guess the whole talking and using a knife thing left them speechless...
Chef Pug

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:35 pm

This book remains the best book of its kind to this day and its contribution in keeping these beautiful traditions alive is invaluable. I *always* recommend anyone interested in hoodoo to start here.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby urbanconjuress » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:54 am

Man oh man. I just got the book and I, literally, can't put it down. Even as I type this, it is right on my lap. Such a wealth of information! I have never seen a book about Hoodoo like it. This is the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. Thank you, Ms. cat, for the time, effort, dedication and love you put into this book. This book will surely stand the test of time and will be used and referenced for many, many years to come. It has renewed my faith and interest in Hoodoo. Now, it's time to put my $26 dollars in my Bible so that I may be able to take your course! Again, wonderful work. Many continued blessings.
Thank you, Spirit, for your continuous guidance, love and support.
urbanconjuress

Re: Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic Book Testimonials

Unread postby Lord SP » Fri May 25, 2012 3:34 pm

I got word back from a buddy of mine for whom I made a court case mojo for as he happened to get himself in a jam..I'll make a long story short for what he did he should've easily gotten a 5 year setence mandatory before parole for the initial crime in question.I don't judge people so if your my friend then I'm gonna do my best to help you and that's what I did.He still has to do time which is understandable but he will be up for parole in a year instead of five.Sounds like the mojo was working fine to me.He also informed me that the court keeps pushing his sentencing date back.I say that to say this Miss Cat I am honored to be able to say I purchased products from Lucky Mojo Curio Co. and I apologize for not being able to take that Correspondence Course soon but,I just got fired because I was vocal and told my manager what I thought of him.I pray for your success and I'm wishing from my heart that you stay around for a longtime...With Love-Your Future Student...

P.S-Ever since I got that reading on the Hoodoo Root Hour on Oct 23,2011 I've been addicted ever since.I'll keep spreading the word.Be Blessed and Well
Lord SP

Re: Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic Book Testimonials

Unread postby Lord SP » Fri May 25, 2012 3:37 pm

corazon wrote:This book has become absolutely priceless to me. It is dog-eared and very much loved. I carry it with me often, for on-the-go referencing.

miss cat's book has helped me better my life and better the lives of my loved ones. It has helped me see my power and improve my works. I have used many of the spells in this book with wondrous results.

I just used it this weekend to make a self love and power honey jar for myself. I am feeling powerful, energetic, happy, and like I can do anything!!!!

Thank you miss cat and Lucky Mojo. My life has improved by leaps and bounds since I found you!

There should be a like button-Be Blessed
Lord SP

Unread postby urbanconjuress » Sat May 26, 2012 9:58 am

Had a dream last night that an older woman was telling me to roast powdered angelica and other roots and flour in a pan to help with my man. She kept telling me to be careful not to burn it and showed me how and where to put it around the house. So, I pick up my copy of HHRM this morning, flip to angelica and see eerily similar instructions on page 30. I'm flabbergasted. Thank you, Spirit and thank you, cat, once again for this wonderful book.
Thank you, Spirit, for your continuous guidance, love and support.
urbanconjuress

Re: HHRM: Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic book: Questions and Answers

Unread postby LibraGoddess » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:48 pm

Greetings all,

I purchased HHRM in February and am loving it. :geek: I do have a question: under many of the herbs/roots and their uses is listed "Additional uses at" then it lists other herbs/roots. What does "Additional uses at" mean?

Thanks
LibraGoddess

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:18 am

It means that additional uses for the herb you are reading about (call it Herb Number One) can be found in the entry for another herb (call it Herb Number Two). Go to the entry that other herb (Herb Number Two) and search through its entries and you will find, somewhere in there, another, different use for the herb you were first looking at (Herb Number One).

Good luck!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby LibraGoddess » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks Ms. Cat
LibraGoddess

Unread postby goldentouch97 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:44 am

Catherine Yronwode's "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" is available only in english ? no french ?
goldentouch97

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:14 am

goldentouch97 --

That is correct, It is only available in English.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Great book and oils

Unread postby avoiceanswered » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 pm

The Hoodo Herb and Root Magic book is the best magical herb book which I have read. Straight-to-point information and great cross references helps find the information needed at hand and enjoyable research for fun.

Stop Gossip, Peaceful Home, Tranquility, and Peace water I mixed in a bottle of holy water and Mrs Meyer's Lavender all purpose cleaner to ward off any suspicion. I prayed over each ingredient that I added and asked for aid from one of the saints I work with. I am seeing results and can't wait for work next week to see more results.

Thanks,
Jess

PS , The oils mixed in peace water and holy water without the cleaner and stop gossip smells like Christmas scents.
avoiceanswered

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:33 pm

urbanconjuress: Not sure how I missed your post but that is a beyond-wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing. I have had very similar instructive dreams.
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Luckbewithme876 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:42 am

I just want to say thanks to Miss Cat for compiling all this information and taking the time and effot to write it all down for people! ^_^ Everything is catalogued well and easy to look up. I can even cast spells with things I just happen to already have laying around the house. I've bought a lot of books on magic, but I have to say this is probably in my top three. I love this book! Thank you Miss Cat and everyone who helped her!
Thank you to St. Dymphna!
Luckbewithme876

Hoodoo garden in the Northeast

Unread postby h2know » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I would love to add some hoodoo herbs to the garden I normally grow. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to grow?
Thanks
h2know

Re: Hoodoo garden in the Northeast

Unread postby Doctor Hob » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 pm

If you haven't already, check out Miss cat's book, Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic. It might give you some ideas.

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html
Two-Headed Doctor
Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Re: Hoodoo garden in the Northeast

Unread postby aura » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:54 am

Hi h2know,

Look at what type of herbs grow well in your hardy zone as well as those that can be used both medicinally and in hoodoo. Also look at how easy or difficult it is to grow and what kind of light and soil conditions are required. Something like mint is super easy to grow, works well for protection, but will also quickly take over your garden since it sends runners out and multiplies that way.

Great lists to consult include those here: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooataglance.html & http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatherbs.html. That second link also has photos and sample spells with the herbs as well as the shopping cart to order some. Before planting, consider ordering a small packet of the possible herbs you think you'd like and working with it, getting to know it, and seeing if you and that particular plant have affinity for each other. If so, then plant it in your garden. The six herb and root special can allow you to try many different plants, saves you some coin, and comes with a small flannel bag you can use to make a mojo as well!

Blessings and good luck in your research.
Road-Opening, Healing & Herbalism
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Mama Micki » Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm

I strongly suggest that anyone that is serious about learning about hoodoo, as well as those more experienced, invest in the hardcover edition.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby remi » Sun May 26, 2013 5:22 am

Oh gracious.

Today I received a copy of this book in the mail from a friend swho topped her hoodooing. She said it was sitting on her bookshelf because she moved back home (out of the country) and couldn't get her hands on the herbs that she wanted to use for certain spell work and when she heard that I was interested in rootwork, she said it would be of better use to me than to her... but that aside, I just finished leafing through the pages and the information is just AMAZING. My thumbs do not resemble anything green but I seriously want to start an herb garden after looking into the information in this book.

Everything is so extensive and straight to the point. I cannot wait to start working with some of the protection spells (are they considered spells?) in this book when I get back to town.
thank you St. Martha, St. Elena, St. Anthony, St. Rafael, St. Gabriel, St. Michael, and Meradonna!
remi

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sun May 26, 2013 10:36 am

Remi, best of luck working the spells lined out in the book.

Make sure to tell your friend that she can always order the majority of items listed in the book right here, at the Lucky Mojo Curio Company website.

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatherbs.html

Happy herbing!
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby magicmurphy » Sun May 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Another fine review for Ms Cat's HHRM book ... this time from a professor. ;)

I also ripped through it in one setting... and I have to say, my favorite part was the introduction! It's the cultural context and how-this-book-came-to-be part that I found so interesting and useful... and then... the materia medica is really remarkable.

I really want to state, no sugaring-up-fangirl-stuff here, this sort of archive and documentation of a cultural magical tradition is so rarely found and so terribly important. People like me who do research for a living cry with joy when source material like this is made and compiled. Ms Cat, between this book and the Southern Spirits primary source sister site, you've given a gift to cultural scholars and anthropologists by doing such painstaking research about this, and I hope you know that. Thank you.

And speaking as a magical practitioner, thanks for the spiritual gift. :)

I'm shooting to be able to take the Correspondence Course in a within the year.

Best,
Murphy
St. Paul
magicmurphy

Unread postby greeneyes2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Super Excited ... I have been gifted this book! I will start asking more and more questions that I am sure I will have.

Thanks Cat for writing this book!!!
greeneyes2

Unread postby greeneyes2 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Thank you all..Spirits and Helpers ...I am snowed & Iced in today.. perfect time to read my HHRM gifted book!! ;)
greeneyes2

hoodoo root and herb magic

Unread postby moonfiery » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 am

An amazing book. I haven't found a reference book to exist to come close to matching this book. Catherine is also very nice and friendly when i friended her on Facebook and thanked her for her amazing work after i purchased the book. Very worth the purchase and i recommend it to any rootworker or any other practitioner who uses herbs and roots out there. If you don't own any other book, this one alone is sufficient. Thanks again Catherine!
moonfiery

Re: hoodoo root and herb magic

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:09 am

I do agree.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby QueenofHeartsK » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:09 am

I just recieved my copy of HHRM yesterday & WOW! simply impressive...i have no clue how Ms. Cat does it all. i sat and read about half way through last night then kind of skipped around to a few Herbs & Curios ive become familiar with. GREAT BOOK, very easy to read and understand. The illustrations are great also.THANK YOU for your time and effort Ms. Cat, sure fire way to keep Traditional Hoodoo alive throughout the generations.
To learn is to live.
QueenofHeartsK

Re: hoodoo root and herb magic

Unread postby Christian Hanson » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Absolutely! But even more so is the willingness to constantly provide guidance, instruction and support to those who are novice and pros alike!
~Christian
Christian Hanson HRCC Graduate #1779G
Tarot Reader, Bone Thrower.
Minneapolis, MN
Christian Hanson

Unread postby Red_Dragon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Got my book today, a quick flick through and it looks awesome, looking forward to reading this. Thanks Catherine.
Let my dreams be bigger than my fears.

And my actions louder than my words.
Red_Dragon

Unread postby Moonlightdream » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi Cat,
Can I ask what kind of oil you dressed the book with? It smells Lovely! ^_^
Moonlightdream

Unread postby Miss Aida » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Hello, Moonlightdream,

I don't think Miss cat will give away any secrets.

But, if she sees this post, she may tell you. That's up t her

take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Also find me on Hoodoo Psychics
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:51 am

Hahaha! I was making oils for money-drawing when someone said we had a few orders for the book, so i signed them all with oily fingers!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby ginjer29 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:58 pm

I have a question. On page 93, Fenugreek seed can be used to draw money to the home. Is that considered a spell? If I’m doing another spell to attract money to me, is it o.k to do both?

Also, in addition to the uses in Hoodoo for herbs, there is also what has been said to be the medicinal use for some of them. People that lived in rural areas way back in the day did not have ready access to doctors. In the country my family is from, it is the custom to use herbs for various ailments. They had to make do and they did.

The book also showed me medicinal uses for herbs I didn’t know about. I am a big believer in natural remedies due to my background.

I have never had an allergic reaction to an herb. There is a possibility of allergies for some. Caution is the word of the day. It’s best to approach new herbs in very small amounts, if at all, when a person has shown a propensity for allergies. That’s what I was taught.

The book is a great resource for me in more than one way. Thank you so much for it, Ms. Cat.
ginjer29

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:20 am

Dear ginjer29

Fenugreek seed can be used to draw money by adding it to any money herb mix you are using or by using it as a floor or path sprinkle. You could also add it to oils or incense.

I am glad you like the added medical uses in the book. That was meant as a little bonus, but many do find it useful.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: HHRM: Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic Book Questions and Answers

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri May 27, 2016 9:17 pm

With more than 20,000 copies in print after 14 years, we are again going bak to press for the EIGHTH EDITION of "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" -- an additional 5,000 copies. There will be minor typo corrections, a couple of changed lines of type, and a space tweak here and there, but nothing spectacularly different from the 7th edition -- still, like all the previous editions, it is not an exact press reprint: "Onward and Upward With the Arts" is our motto, and we live by that.

Thanks, all, for supporting this book over the years; it is reaching exactly the place i hoped it would when i first wrote it.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Miss Aida » Fri May 27, 2016 9:22 pm

CONGRATS!!!

The Green Bible will live forever!
PROUD member of AIRR
Also find me on Hoodoo Psychics
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby Spiritualist01 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:54 am

What book should I buy that tells you how to use oils, herbs, powders and candles etc? :D
Spiritualist01

Unread postby Sister Jean » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Well, Spiritualist01, you're posting under a thread with the same title as the book you should get for herbs ;)

Catherine Yronwode's "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" is the go-to book to learn about herbs used in hoodoo: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html

For candles, check out "The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic": http://www.luckymojo.com/artofhoodoocandlemagic.html

For oils, read this page in the online book "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice": http://www.luckymojo.com/oils.html

There's a page in the same book about powders: http://www.luckymojo.com/powders.html
Thank you, St. Michael, St. Expedite, St. Martha, Bone Mama!
ID #1590G
I'm on Hoodoo Psychics!
Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread postby zafer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:32 am

Hi everyone.

I own the book (finally...) and love it. I haven't read it very thoroughly yet but i am getting there.

My question is this: how about the rituals and the words we use. If we make an oil for example, what do we say? Do we say our own prayers? Do we make a protective circle before we work? Does the moon phase or the time of day/night matter at all? Do you prepare the materials by exposing them to the stars for three nights as we do? How exactly do we use this valuable information?

Forgive my questions but I come from the south of Europe, and we do have a strong tradition here as well. However it's words words words as well as herbs, you know? I don't want to do damage instead of good, or use the knowledge wrongly.

Thanks!

Zafer
zafer

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:47 am

Hello, Zafer --

Thanks for buying my book. HHRM is a text for practitioners who are already familiar with the beliefs, customs, culture, methodologies, and practices of African American folk magic. It is not an introductory text. Your specific questions about prayers, circles, and timing are not the topic of that book, nor of this thread -- but, lucky for you, these topics and many more are all covered in my FREE online book, "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice." The table of contents for HITAP is here, and there are links to each chapter of the book from that hub-page:

http://luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

After reading that, if you are still interested in hoodoo, i suggest that you purchase some of the more specific books i have written or have edited and published, reflecting the contributions of not only myself, but also a wide range of contemporary and historical practitioners, root doctors, and conjure workers. Individual books in this series cover topics such as candle magic, Bible magic, spiritual bathing, creation of altar-spaces, use of written papers, playing card magic, spells incorporating foods, spells for removing curses, spells for love, and other such material. Most of these books have a $9.00 cover price and they are jam-packed with detailed ways of working, recipes, methods, answers to common questions, and background history. See the book publication list at

http://luckymojo.com/publishing.html

Finally, if you wish to locate answers to your questions within this forum, just do a word-search for common terms like "moon phases" or "casting a circle" and you will be directed to posts and threads in which those words occur. Ask questions in those threads and you will receive prompt and helpful replies.

Good luck to you.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby zafer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:57 pm

Thank you so much for your help.

I have a long journey with hoodoo it seems. I am very interested indeed.
zafer

Unread postby michi-griff » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:13 am

Hi there! I hope I'm not being repetitive, but I was wondering: Is there or are there any plans for an electronic format for HHRM? Sometimes when I can't find something or I can't remember where I read something, I was hoping I could search it, like with Ctrl+F. I know everyone is quite busy and just wanted to help myself as much as I could. Thanks!!!

P. S. I bought it already--directly from LM. :)
Evolving to my best self! Cultivating the Hoodoo way of thinking, always looking for knowledge!
michi-griff

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:08 pm

michi-griff.

NO. I earn my living by printing and selling books. I do not find that my fellow-authors whose works have been converted to electronic sales form can make a living at all. Their royalties (their sole source of income from books) drops to about 10% of what it was for each book that their publishers convert to electronic form. The rip-off culture feeds on electronic texts and the rip-off culture is a grotesque disincentive to all authors. We are literally being stolen from daily. I will not make it any easier for people to rip me off.

There is, however, a great helper-page here, called "Hoodoo at a Glance." Check it out.

http://luckymojo.com/hoodooataglance.html
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Previous

• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to Books, Pamphlets, Instruction Manuals, and Grimoires in Hoodoo